[Drama 2022] The Queen's Umbrella/Umbrella, 슈룹

larus

Anyone still watching?! The tonal shift is not so smooth between the drama and comedy but the last two episodes were entertaining but I agree it is frustrating re the snail pace and to watch the villains get away with everything each episode etc. 

Spoiler

At least this week the Queen and Prince S finally declares war on the Queen Mom. The King is finally getting a clue re his evil mom. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

@Yinye King Lee Ho knows his mom is evil but he thought she had an ounce of maternal instinct. 

To be honest, I don’t think she ever had maternal instinct or empathy in that body of her. In the flashback, THE KING hated her so much. He told her Lee Ho was his SON!!. I Ah e a question Chingu’s. From episode 8 flashback Was he really the king’s Son or his Mother’s son.  He watched his brother die and didn’t say anything because he wanted to the Crown Prince. 
I don’t know about the rest of you, I started to dislike him but when he didn’t interfere when his wife went on THE HUNT for who tried to kill Her son.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

29 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I Ah e a question Chingu’s. From episode 8 flashback Was he really the king’s Son or his Mother’s son.  He watched his brother die and didn’t say anything because he wanted to the Crown Prince. 

it was a creepy scene, especially when he looked away from his dead brother to that crown prince robe

and then he just quietly closed the door..    

I wonder who sent the palace guards to protect Seongnam...The King..?

:highonflowers:

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

39 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

it was a creepy scene, especially when he looked away from his dead brother to that crown prince robe

and then he just quietly closed the door..   

I agree it was creepy. 

I was also wondering who sent the palace guard to protect him too. 

@rocher22  I wonder if Park Gyeong-U knew Hwa-Ryeong in the past.  I wonder if he knew about the murder of the Crown Prince. 

Consort Hwang is two faced. She acts brave but she is coward like her son. He cheated by messing with the horses hay. Even though he did that, he still didn’t reach Park Gyeong-U. 

I am hoping Prince Uiseong isn’t the King’s son. To bad there is no way to determine that.  Clearly we saw that she cheated on the King. That WITCH!!!

Royal Physician Kwon killed the Crown Prince but he has the audacity to write to the Queen Hwa-Ryeong. I believe she will find out who sent him in. Mr Kwon ruin everything Master Toji’s plan when sent him in 

Spoiler

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488617d994011a349ae5d7

She only has eyes for Prince Seongnam

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

I agree with you @UnniSarah the King knew what his mother was like and what she did in the past and yet he didn’t stop her in time before she killed her own grandchild and his own son. He is a coward and it has annoyed me the entire show that he hasn’t done more to prevent. Also it is a bit plot gap - because he knew what happened in the past and yet continued to have soooooooo many sons and consorts etc. Why he didn’t think it will happen again? 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@rocher22  I wonder if Park Gyeong-U knew Hwa-Ryeong in the past.  I wonder if he knew about the murder of the Crown Prince. 

I dont think Gyeongu knows that the CP was killed but I suppose he will return to the palace.

Master Toji surely knows more about the CP's death. I hope he will also return to the palace.

If Seongam becomes the crown prince then he will have around him the  loyal and intelligent subjects. 

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Consort Hwang is two faced. She acts brave but she is coward like her son. He cheated by messing with the horses hay. Even though he did that, he still didn’t reach Park Gyeong-U. 

I am hoping Prince Uiseong isn’t the King’s son. To bad there is no way to determine that.  Clearly we saw that she cheated on the King. That WITCH!!!

:lol:

Her schemes arent successful bur she isnt a murderer. She really believes that she should be the queen. 

I was surprised that Consort Hwang spared Kwon's life. It seems to me that the two of them are really 

in love..  :unsure:

8 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Royal Physician Kwon killed the Crown Prince but he has the audacity to write to the Queen Hwa-Ryeong.

that was strange.

He also didnt mention Seongnam during the interrogation. 

5 hours ago, Yinye said:

I agree with you @UnniSarah the King knew what his mother was like and what she did in the past and yet he didn’t stop her in time before she killed her own grandchild and his own son. He is a coward and it has annoyed me the entire show that he hasn’t done more to prevent. 

I agree.. that why I liked the talks between the King and Seongnam.

Seongnam was right because he wanted to continue searching for the truth about the CP's death.

Seongnam - ''I cannot be the person who killed his brother''

The King just looked at his son. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

The Queen is trying her best... but she's too weak as all her enemies have too much power and are more bloodthirsty.

While the Queen's promise seems to have made some impact to the Dowager, it likely will not stop the Dowager, but she will continue to try to depose the queen and kill off the grand princes. 

I'm quite disappointed about Prince Bogeum. Seongnam is the one who helped him out against the Mean Prince, and also he gave back granny's book in order to be a "worthy crown prince". 

Seongnam is my fave. His methods are unconventional, but he has a heart. 

What I found quite shocking was the way Crown PRincess and Grand Heir exited and how all the ministers clamoured for a little boy's execution!!!

and despite seeing these two walk like prisoners out of the palace, the younger sons keep fooling around and don't recognise the danegr they are in

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, agenth said:

I'm quite disappointed about Prince Bogeum. Seongnam is the one who helped him out against the Mean Prince, and also he gave back granny's book in order to be a "worthy crown prince". 

Seongnam is my fave. His methods are unconventional, but he has a heart. 

Bogeum simply made a bad decision when he asked the QD for help. 

He and Gyeoseong still dont realize how dangerous the palace is.

The Queen warned his son to be quiet until the CP was chosen.

But she saw the  traces of the nail polish on his nail.

Although the whole story about his portrait is unconvincing.

The Queen brought the painter to paint the prince's portrait as a woman.

And he keeps this portrait in his desk.

Its all so thoughtless. Does the queen really think it can remain a secret in the palace 

where everyone is spying.  

Yep, Seongnam has a brave heart. 

The Queen Dowager realized that from the very beginning. 

:wub:

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

I am loving this drama so far. It has been pretty interesting, and very well written in my opinion. I think this is the first time we are seeing so many princes caught up in the battle of succession after Moon Lovers. 

The latest eps actually showed how smart the Queen is when it comes to politics and scheming, so no one should really take her lightly there. Even though she doesn't seem to have allies among the ministers and also doesn't seem to be from an influential noble family to have their backing, she has been using her position as Queen to her advantage pretty well. 

She very smartly had the Crown Princess leave with the palace with her children seemingly as criminals (after accusing her to be the one behind outside medicine), but instead moved them to a safe house. Using this method she firstly ensured their safety outside the palace, since palace wasn't really safe. But at the same time she sort of showed that she is wicked and cruel enough to have her daughter in law sacrificed in order to save herself, and sometimes such messages do make your enemies a bit scared of you.

As for the Princes, I feel sorry for Prince Bogeum, since he is one of the smartest if not the smartest among the Princes. I think only Grand Prince Seongnam could be on his level (or maybe smarter) than him. But even though he has been tempted by the position of Crown Prince, and has gone down the wrong way by asking help from Queen Dowager, I think he will be different from the King.

If you compare the King and Prince Bogeum, almost you can draw parallels between them very easily. Both are son of concubine with lower status, and no political or noble backing. Both were very smart in studies and all, but couldn't be Crown Prince because someone else was Crown Prince whose birth was considered to be legitimate as well (as compared to their rather illegitimate birth). They both kinda lusted for the position of Crown Prince believing they at least deserve the chance given their caliber, and were helped by the same person, the Dowager Queen (in case of King she was his mom of course). But I think Bogeum will be different from the King and not go down the wrong path completely. That is when he will prove himself to be different from the King. 

In my opinion the coming episodes will be pretty crucial in deciding the fate of Prince Bogeum. He is there alone with Prince Seongnam, and he already did make one wrong decision to not save him when he required the help. But Seongnam didn't really seem to take it personally. Both of them being together for the next 3 days in order to convince that guy to return to palace will decide whether they will get closer, or become rivals for the Crown Prince position.

I am also loving how the King has been holding his ground against the ministers and also the Queen Dowager. He knows they were the ones who had him sit on the Throne, and also do possess enough power to have him removed. Still he is not ready to easily accept their demands. Of course The Queen has been influential in helping him make the correct decisions as well, which is among the main reasons for Queen Dowager wanting to have her removed. 

I am not too sure, but I think Queen's sons will surprise many in this competition. We already know about Seongnam, but I believe others are trying their best to not disappoint their mother as well. 

For now, the main unknown variable here is the runaway Royal Physician, and the Physician who prescribed the medicine for Crown Prince. The Physician didn't seem like he knew that the medicine he is prescribing is for the Crown Prince, but then again you never know.

Royal Physician is suspected to have had a hand in Crown Prince's condition suddenly deteriorating, but still things are unclear about his allegiance itself. On one side he does look to be loyal to the Queen, and he even left her a letter before disappearing, but on the other side we do know he is having something more than "holding hands" with Royal Consort Hwang. There is a high chance that they were past lovers before Consort Hwang married the King. That could actually be revealed later on and be one of the things which will either bring her down, or the Queen will use to control her. But for that of course the Royal Physician will have to be caught.

With the writers teasing romance between Seongnam and Minister of War's daughter (or was he some other minister, anyway he is a very a major character with good amount of political power), I wonder if this minister dude will decide to side with him. This will give some good political support to Queen and Seongnam with a top minister being on their side. 

5 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Although the whole story about his portrait is unconvincing.

The Queen brought the painter to paint the prince's portrait as a woman.

And he keeps this portrait in his desk.

Its all so thoughtless. Does the queen really think it can remain a secret in the palace 

where everyone is spying.  

I think this will remain a secret somehow, because this will lead to downfall of not only the Prince, but the Queen and even other Grand Princes. There is a reason that even Queen Dowager didn't decide to go for this one, mainly because it would be very hard to prove, and either of the parties could lose their head. If you cannot prove it entirely, then it is a very big accusation, and could come with hefty cost. If Queen Dowager wasn't confident enough to use this, I think it is not right for anyone to do so. She is the most seasoned politician among the ladies of Palace. 

This may actually lead to the downfall of that Royal Consort who has been so keen to prove that the Grand Prince likes to cross dress as a woman. Maybe her son lost the competition or so, which led her to go for this. She knows if she is able to prove it, Queen will not be safe either, especially after the whole Crown Prince incident. 

Let's see how things pan out in the next ep :piggydance:

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

Under the Queen’s Umbrella: Episodes 7-8

by alathe

archery2.jpg

With the threat of assassination looming around every corner, our heroine must resort to desperate measures in search of answers. However, with the Crown Prince’s cause of death established as poisoning, someone has to take the fall. Will it be enemy or ally?

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

In a move that is becoming habitual, Hwa-ryeong corners her grandson’s maid and brandishes a needle before her face in the name of answers. Why did she poison the Grand Heir? All she gets is a warning that there are those far more powerful than Hwa-ryeong herself out there. Then, her prisoner goes the way of all Joseon conspirators bent on taking their secrets to the grave: biting her tongue, she bleeds out in an instant.

It’s the beginning of a series of desperate moves. The Crown Princess brandishes a knife to her own neck. If Hwa-ryeong won’t let her leave the palace with her children, then she’ll die right here. Hwa-ryeong, however, rises to the occasion magnificently, with the only persuasive tools at her disposal: she urges her daughter-in-law to stay alive — to take that bravery and use it for her son’s sake.

Elsewhere, the scales are beginning to fall from the King’s eyes. Bitterly, he tells the Dowager Queen that he fears what she’s capable of — after all, supplanting monarchs is her specialty. She gives him some frank, motherly advice: don’t act so innocent. Sure, she killed Prince Taein. But she’d never have gone that far if her son hadn’t wanted a crown.

Speaking of fratricide… there’s further family tension to come. Seongnam, fearing for his mother’s life, confesses to the King that he was the one who gave the Crown Prince medicine from the outside. He’s determined to prove that the herbs were harmless — that his hands aren’t stained with his brother’s blood. The King is aghast. As a father, he begs his son to hide his involvement. Yet, as the head of state, he must give the Grand Prince permission to investigate the death of his heir.

The Dowager Queen has gone to bite off the head of the subordinate who failed to inform her that Hwa-ryeong was meeting with Queen Yoon… Court Lady Shin. Turns out, she’s been in the Dowager Queen’s clutches since the age of seven. But even decades of manipulation won’t wash away her loyalty to Hwa-ryeong; Court Lady Shin flat-out refuses to be used as a weapon against her queen.

It’s not long before the King holds a public hearing regarding the Crown Prince’s murder, with the bloodied Physician Kwon sitting front and center. Finally — after a fortifying tete-a-tete involving tender face-touching and whispered words with his maybe-lover Consort Hwang — he’s ready to speak. And in doing so, causes problems for everyone: he names Hwa-ryeong as the one who commanded him to give the Crown Prince medicine from the outside. Hwa-ryeong hesitates. Of Seongnam, there is no sign. Master Toji has vanished like smoke, and with him, any proof of her innocence. And so, swallowing her hesitance, she too gives a name. The medicine came from — the Crown Princess.

Turmoil. Outrage. Guards are dispatched, finding herbal medicine in the Princess’s chambers — undocumented and mysterious. Her arrest follows swiftly… while Hwa-ryeong’s enemies quickly reassess their estimation of the queen’s ruthlessness.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/11/under-the-queens-umbrella-episodes-7-8/

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

The latest eps actually showed how smart the Queen is when it comes to politics and scheming, so no one should really take her lightly there. Even though she doesn't seem to have allies among the ministers and also doesn't seem to be from an influential noble family to have their backing, she has been using her position as Queen to her advantage pretty well. 

@agenth I don’t think the Queen is weak. Like @Sleepy Owl said  ( check my quote) she is smart , she has power but no backing like the other Royals Consorts who has connections with the Royal Ministers.  I know her tactics may have some flaws but it is because of the Flaws her plans are working. 
She accused the Crown Princess because this is the only way hee DIL can leave the Palace without it hurting her or children’s status. Also this tactic will give us an opening to reinvestigate the death of the Crowin Prince because she denied killing her husband. Also give the Hwa Ryeong enough time to find a secret place to protect them outside of the palace until a new Crown Prince was placed. Queen Hwa Ryeong isn’t just a Queen that takes care of the King harem , she also will take the time to understand her son’s interest. 

3 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

As for the Princes, I feel sorry for Prince Bogeum, since he is one of the smartest if not the smartest among the Princes. I think only Grand Prince Seongnam could be on his level (or maybe smarter) than him. But even though he has been tempted by the position of Crown Prince, and has gone down the wrong way by asking help from Queen Dowager, I think he will be different from the King.

I think Prince Bogeum is a pretender. He is finally showing his real self ( SELFISHNESS & GREED). He hates the fact his mom is a concubine. He looks down on the Princes who aren’t as smart as him. Did you see how he left his brother hanging by the cliff. This is the same brother who helped him when he was being bullied. Do you know when I saw him in a new light was when he was studying with CP and his gaze at the CP’s seat after he  became ill.  Prince Simso would have never left his brother hanging from the cliff. After being caught by the Queen for going outside the Palace, he told the Queen it wasn’t second Prince fault and that he had fun. 

@rocher22  Grand Prince Muan Grand Prince Gyeseong these two princes infuriate me. I find them to be selfish because their needs will ruin their lives and their siblings. Even after the drastic measures their mom took to protect them. I want you to understand why she did that, it was the only way she knew to stop from getting a storage of woman accessories to put on. I want her to tel her kids what is ar stake but they are still children, they might let it slip cause an even more problem for their family.  I too find it strange with the Royal Physician. I don’t know if the concubine loves him but I know the Physician does love her.  Consort Hwan wants to be QUEEN MORE than love. She is very ambitious I do think she is capable of murder. The flashback scene when the Physician added something to CP’s medicine is what killed him because Master ToJi said if you followed the prescription he wouldn’t die. It 

I believe Prince Seongnam is just like his mom, his time growing up outside the palace will make him a better King. Even Chief Royal Secretary Min Seung-Yun likes him better than the other Princes. 

I Kinda feel bad for Prince Simso ( Timid Prince), from the preview he was beat up really badly. His mom is Consort Ko but she will certainly regret going against in ep 9. I can’t wait to find out Hwa Ryeong reaction to this. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

agenth I don’t think the Queen is weak. Like @Sleepy Owl said  ( check my quote) she is smart , she has power but no backing like the other Royals Consorts who has connections with the Royal Ministers.  I know her tactics may have some flaws but it is because of the Flaws her plans are working. 
She accused the Crown Princess because this is the only way hee DIL can leave the Palace without it hurting her or children’s status.

I'm not talking about her accusing the Crown Princess and giving her the possibility to leave the palace, but just that she isn't forewarning her kids well enough. When they ask, if they are in danger, she just placates them and tells them she won't let them be harmed, but her grandson did get hurt under watch, no?

there are just too many evil forces and people thirsting for power that they won't blink an eye to kill her or her family. It was surprising when Left State councillor was shocked that Seongnam was almost killed, because he only tasked him to be delayed. That is because he doesn't take Seongnam seriously (yet). But he has no problem asking for a little boy's execution, because he is the Grand Heir. the funny thing is how he can just ask this without any reasoning. The only reason the little boy got exiled was that his family has no power, so that's why he must go. 

The Queen's children are very unprepared, and don't know of the danger. 

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I think Prince Bogeum is a pretender. He is finally showing his real self ( SELFISHNESS & GREED). He hates the fact his mom is a concubine. He looks down on the Princes who aren’t as smart as him. Did you see how he left his brother hanging by the cliff.

I don't think it's the fact that mum is a concubine that disturbs him. Through her he is related to the king. But his mum was the maid of the Queen, and his family has no powerful minister. That's what makes him feel inadequate. I had hopes for him when he returned the book to Queen Dowager, but since he left Seongnam hanging, i am disappointed.

But I don't think the story will make Bogeum super evil, as Seongnam still has a soft touch for this guy. 

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I think this will remain a secret somehow, because this will lead to downfall of not only the Prince, but the Queen and even other Grand Princes. There is a reason that even Queen Dowager didn't decide to go for this one, mainly because it would be very hard to prove, and either of the parties could lose their head.

I think it's easy to prove for powerful people like Queen Dowager, she could pay off / torture some maids who "witnessed" him dress up etc... 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Yoo Seon Ho Uncovers A Shocking Truth During His Quest For The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella”

Yoo Seon Ho will learn a shocking secret on the next episode of “The Queen’s Umbrella”!

“The Queen’s Umbrella” is a tvN historical drama starring Kim Hye Soo as queen Im Hwa Ryung, the wife of a great king and the long-suffering mother of five troublemaking sons. While Hwa Ryung does everything she can to make proper princes out of her sons so that one of them can become the next king of Joseon, she faces no end of competitors vying to snatch the throne.

Spoilers

Previously on “The Queen’s Umbrella,” a fierce battle for the throne began as the contest to become crown prince officially kicked off. For the second round of competition, the princes were tasked with finding a specific individual and bringing him back to the palace.

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Prince Gye Sung (played by Yoo Seon Ho) sets out to find the mysterious Seo Ham Deok, who has cast aside palace life in order to live quietly on his own. The prince’s search eventually takes him all the way to a temple, where he shows two child monks a portrait of Seo Ham Deok and asks them if they know anything about him.

The-Queens-Umbrella-768x1536.jpg

However, in his quest to track down Seo Ham Deok, Gye Sung will stumble upon a huge secret that has the power to turn the entire nation upside down. Although it remains to be seen whether he will succeed in bringing back Seo Ham Deok, Gye Sung will return to the palace armed with new knowledge that has the potential to shake the very foundation of the kingdom.

To find out what kind of consequences Gye Sung’s discovery will have, catch the next episode of “The Queen’s Umbrella” on November 12 at 9:10 p.m. KST!

Yoo Seon Ho Uncovers A Shocking Truth During His Quest For The Throne In “The Queen’s Umbrella” | Soompi

• Like 2

What is Cho Wol's function? 

She is just someone who hangs around the courtesan house, but isn't a courtesan? She is the ex-lvoer of Grand Prince Muan? 

She is just a musician, but not a courtesan, and MAdam tries to protect her too, and nobody wants her to become a courtesan, yet she decided to become one? 

I am confused, next to having 10 consorts and 10 princes.

Here are the ratings for episode 9! :).

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” successfully remained in the double digits as it kicked off the second half of its run, scoring an average nationwide rating of 10.0 percent and taking first place in its time slot across all channels.

“The First Responders” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings As “The Golden Spoon” Ends On Rise | Soompi

18 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I wonder if ChoWol was pregnant when she and the prince Muan broke up.   :unsure:

It doesn't seem like their relationship is sexual. Maybe that's why CW asked if Prince Muan sees her as a woman.

Is it possible with so few episodes left that CW could have another identity?

And what was the gossip that Concubine Tae spread at the village?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

It doesn't seem like their relationship is sexual. Maybe that's why CW asked if Prince Muan sees her as a woman.

Is it possible with so few episodes left that CW could have another identity?

in the first episode Muan and Chowol were in the bed when the Queen entered their room.

I even thought ChoWol was connected to the group outside the palace ( Kwon, the monk, Gyeongu and Master Toji)

I like Chowol, for now. She looks elegant and noble. 

2 hours ago, dzareth said:

And what was the gossip that Concubine Tae spread at the village?

I think its about Seongnam's birth..   :unsure:

:fullofhearts:

• Like 3

“The Queen’s Umbrella” Dominates Most Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings For 3rd Week

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 13, 2022
by E. Cha

tvN’s “The Queen’s Umbrella” has continued its reign over the rankings of the most buzzworthy dramas and actors!

For the third consecutive week, “The Queen’s Umbrella” topped Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the dramas that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon.

In addition to “The Queen’s Umbrella” remaining No. 1 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas, its stars claimed four out of the top 10 spots on the list of most buzzworthy drama cast members. Kim Hye Soo held onto her spot at No. 1, followed by co-stars Bae In Hyuk at No. 5, Moon Sang Min at No. 6, and Kim Hae Sook at No. 9.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz in the first week of November are as follows:

1. tvN “The Queen’s Umbrella”
  2. MBC “The Golden Spoon”
  3. SBS “One Dollar Lawyer”
  4. SBS “Cheer Up”
  5. KBS2 “Curtain Call”
  6. tvN “Love in Contract”
  7. KBS2 “Bad Prosecutor”
  8. KBS2 “Three Bold Siblings”
  9. KBS2 “Vengeance of the Bride”
  10. tvN “Blind”

Meanwhile, the top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz this week are as follows:

1. Kim Hye Soo (“The Queen’s Umbrella”)
  2. Namgoong Min (“One Dollar Lawyer”)
  3. Yook Sungjae (“The Golden Spoon”)
  4. Park Min Young (“Love in Contract”)
  5. Bae In Hyuk (“The Queen’s Umbrella”)
  6. Moon Sang Min (“The Queen’s Umbrella”)
  7. Go Kyung Pyo (“Love in Contract”)
  8. Kim Ji Eun (“One Dollar Lawyer”)
  9. Kim Hae Sook (“The Queen’s Umbrella”)
  10. Kang Ha Neul (“Curtain Call”)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1554004wpp/the-queens-umbrella-dominates-most-buzzworthy-drama-and-actor-rankings-for-3rd-week

• Like 4