[Drama 2021] Idol- The Coup, IDOL (아이돌 : The Coup)

larus

JTBC DRAMA 2021

IDOL: THE COUP

Idol-The_Coup-teaserSM1.jpg

Drama: Idol: The Coup

Hangul: IDOL (아이돌 : The Coup)

Genre: music, drama

Network: JTBC

Episodes: 16

Director: No Jong-Chan (Clean With Passion For Now, Cruel Palace: War of Flowers ,Personal Taste, Who Are You?)

Writer: Jung Yoon-Jung (The Bride of Habaek,  Misaeng, Arang and the Magistrate)

Release Date: November 8, 2021- December 21, 2021

Runtime:Monday, Tuesday

Production Company:

OST:

Official site:

Plot

The drama portrays the last story of “doomed idols” who need a single “success” in order to “disband.” It will tell a story about young people who confidently let go of their dreams as they grow through their failures and take courageous steps towards their new goals.

Cast

Ahn hee Yeon ( Hani) as Kim Je-Na

Kwak Si Yang as Cha Jae-Hyeok

Jung Woong- in as Ma Jin-woo

Kim Min Kyu as Seo Ji-Han

Chu So-jung (Exy) as

Hong Eun-ki as Yul

Lee Eun-sang as

Han So Eun as Stella

Green as Chae Ah

Exy as L

Ahn Sol Bin as Hyun Ji

Lee Eun Sang as Dan

Baek Seo Hoo as Tae young

Jo Joon Young as Ray

Cha Sun-woo as Troy

Posters

Cotton-Candy.jpg

Mars.jpg

Teasers/Trailers

01.Soompi code of conduct | SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like  SOOMPI TV, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 2

July 7 2021

Ahn Hee-Yeon, Kwak Si-Yang & Kim Min-Kyu cast in JTBC drama “Idol: The Coup”

Idol-_The_Coup-a00.jpeg

Ahn Hee-Yeon, Kwak Si-Yang and Kim Min-Kyu are cast in JTBC drama series “Idol: The Coup.” The drama series will will follow an unpopular idol group “Cotton Candy,” its management company and other groups that work under the same management company. Ahn Hee-Yeon, who is herself a member of idol group “EXID,” will play a member of Cotton Candy.

“Idol: The Coup” first airs in the second half of this year in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: “Idol: The Coup” depicts an unpopular idol group’s last story. To disband the group Cotton Candy, the group needs only a one time hit. People that are important to the story include Kim Je-Na (Ahn Hee-Yeon), who has been a member of Cotton Candy for the past 6 years. Cha Jae-Hyeok (Kwak Si-Yang) is the CEO of the entertainment company which manages Cotton Candy. Seo Ji-Han (Kim Min-Kyu) is a member of the popular idol group Mas, which belongs to the same entertainment company as Cotton Candy.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/ahn-hee-yeon-kwak-si-yang-kim-min-kyu-cast-in-jtbc-drama-idol-the-coup

EXID’s Hani, Kwak Si Yang, And Kim Min Kyu Confirmed To Star In New JTBC Drama

138c5e4388f74809b514611027adf0b4.jpeg?s=

Jul 7, 2021
by L. Kim

EXID’s Hani, Kwak Si Yang, and Kim Min Kyu are confirmed to star in JTBC’s new drama “Idol: The Coup” (literal title)!

The drama portrays the last story of “doomed idols” who need a single “success” in order to “disband.” It will tell a story about young people who confidently let go of their dreams as they grow through their failures and take courageous steps towards their new goals.

“Idol: The Coup” will be directed by No Jong Chan, whose works include “Personal Taste,” “Cruel Palace – War of Flowers,” and “Clean with Passion for Now,” and scripted by Jung Yoon Jung of “Tale of Arang,” “Monstar,” “Incomplete Life,” and “Bride of the Water God.”

Hani will play the role of Kim Je Na, a member of the six-year-old idol group Cotton Candy that is considered a failure. Kwak Si Yang will take the role of Cha Jae Hyuk, the CEO of Cotton Candy’s agency Starpeace Entertainment, who is considered to be a cold “human calculator.” Kim Min Kyu will star as Seo Ji Han, a member of the popular idol group Mas that is also housed under Starpeace Entertainment.

Professional producers, artists, and creators will collaborate to create the music and performances in the drama. As a result, expectations are high for the quality of this new music drama. In addition, Transparent Arts (where Far East Movement and Girls’ Generation’s Tiffany are housed under), TAKE2 MEDIA GROUP (that produced dramas like JTBC’s “Age of Youth 2” and KBS’s “Mother of Mine“), and JTBC Studio will team up to produce the drama.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1478194wpp/exids-hani-kwak-si-yang-and-kim-min-kyu-confirmed-to-star-in-new-jtbc-drama

• Like 2

Kwak Shi-yang, Hani, and Kim Min-kyu to headline new JTBC drama

by tineybeanie

newdramakwak.jpg

JTBC has announced casting information for their latest music drama called IDOL: The Coup. It looks like Kwak Shi-yang (Alice) will be headlining alongside EXID’s Hani (Not Yet Thirty, The Spies Who Loved Me) and Kim Min-kyu. The drama is about a bunch of failed idols who need at least one success to disband.

Hani plays a failed idol named Kim Jena from the group Cotton Candy that debuted six years ago. Kwak Shi-yang plays Cha Jae-hyuk, the CEO of the entertainment agency that manages Cotton Candy. Known as the “Human Calculator,” he’s extremely shrewd and cold. Finally, Kim Min-kyu has been cast as Seo Ji-han, an idol member of the trendy, popular group Mas that’s also managed by Kwak Shi-yang’s company.

The drama tells the story of the boldness of youths as they pursue their dreams and meet failure head on. It’s also about learning how to choose different paths in life when things don’t go according to plan.

According to reports, the performances and music in the drama will be specially overseen by creative experts in the industry. Specifically, Transparent Arts (that manages artists like Far East Movement and Tiffany) has joined hands with TAKE2 Media Group (that produced Age of Youth 2) and JTBC Studios, so hopefully, we’ll be in for a banging OST.

Written by Jung Yoon-jung (Bride of the Water God) and directed by Noh Jong-chan (Clean With Passion for Now), JTBC’s upcoming drama IDOL: The Coup will begin airing in the latter half of this year.

Via Osen

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/kwak-shi-yang-hani-and-kim-min-kyu-to-headline-new-jtbc-drama

• Like 2

19 hours ago, agenth said:

aaaaaaaaaaaah I  have seen Hani in XX and she was doing well. The others I am not sure about, although the script being penned by Misaeng writer is already promising!

I am familiar only with Kwak Si Yang. I saw Hani in drama The Spies Who Loved Me but I don`t really remember her role there. And Kim Min Kyu is a rookie. This is his first role.

I am interested because of the Misaeng writer and I think the music will be fine.

Actor Kwak Si-yang has been confirmed to appear in the JTBC drama 'IDOL (Idol: The Coup)' as the main character.

2021070710194803764d3244b4fed18217218612

Starhouse Entertainment, the agency, announced on the 7th, "Actress Kwak Si-yang will play the main character Cha Jae-hyuk in the JTBC drama 'IDOL (Idol: The Coup)'".

Kwak Si-yang plays Cha Jae-hyeok, the representative of Star Peace, an entertainment company. Cha Jae-hyeok is a cold human calculator owner who only developed his left brain, and Kwak Si-yang plans to unravel Cha Jae-hyeok's charms with his heavy charisma and realistic acting.

In particular, Jung Yun-jeong, who has shown delicate and solid writing skills to stimulate emotions by writing dramas such as 'The Bride of Habaek 2017', 'Misaeng', and 'Music Drama Monstar', and 'Clean with Passion for Now', 'Preparation for Insu', 'Individual As director Noh Jong-chan, who has shown outstanding visual beauty and unique directing through 'Taste', met through a music drama, curiosity about the work is growing.

https://www.wowtv.co.kr/NewsCenter/News/Read?articleId=A202107070133

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 12:30 AM, larus said:

I am familiar only with Kwak Si Yang. I saw Hani in drama The Spies Who Loved Me but I don`t really remember her role there. And Kim Min Kyu is a rookie. This is his first role.

I am interested because of the Misaeng writer and I think the music will be fine.

Actor Kwak Si-yang has been confirmed to appear in the JTBC drama 'IDOL (Idol: The Coup)' as the main character.

@larus I'm going to check this for same reasons

Kwak Si Yang. I'm going to watch him again after 2015 Perservere Goo Hae Ra, and Oh My Ghost. That's the only two drama I've seen him and wach  all throughout.

In PGHR he played an idol wannabe embroiled in controversy and it showed politics behind making an idol. It's  brutal  IRL. ...but we don't get to see the inner workings only the finished product of an idol. 

the plot... "The drama portrays the last story of “doomed idols” who need a single “success” in order to “disband.” It will tell a story about young people who confidently let go of their dreams as they grow through their failures and take courageous steps towards their new goals."

We have Misaeng writer at helm of this drama. Hope we see a good drama. I'll watch out for this. Thanks larus.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jongski said:

Kwak Si Yang. I'm going to watch him again after 2015 Perservere Goo Hae Ra, and Oh My Ghost. That's the only two drama I've seen him and wach  all throughout.

I saw him in Chicago Typewriter and Alice and variety show We Got Married. I am glad he will be a lead character in this new drama.

I wish the writer will create a good drama. We can only hope.

• Like 1

LABOUM Solbin's side "JTBC's new drama 'Idol' is under review"... Shall We Meet Hani (Official)

AAM4pGX.img?h=364&w=270&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

The group LABOUM Solbin is slowly walking towards an acting idol.

An official from Global H Media told Newsen on July 13th, "Labum Solbin has received an offer to appear in JTBC's new drama 'IDOL: The Coup' (hereinafter referred to as Idol) and is considering it."

The drama 'Idol', which is scheduled to be broadcast in the second half of the coming year, depicts the last story of a 'mandol' (broken idol) who needs only one success to disband. Writer Jeong Yun-jeong, who wrote the dramas 'Bride of Habaek 2017' and 'Misaeng', and director Noh Jong-chan, 'Clean with Passion for Now' and 'Personal Taste', are working together.

Currently, while EXID members Ahn Hee-yeon (active name Hani), Kwak Si-yang, and Kim Min-gyu have confirmed their appearance in 'Idol', expectations are growing whether Labum Solbin will also join.

https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/tv/라붐-솔빈-측-“jtbc-새-드라마-아이돌-검토-중”…하니-만날까-공식/ar-AAM4i39

Casting news

The group Cosmic Girls' leader Exy will take on the first challenge in JTBC's new drama 'Idol'.

http://ph.spotvnews.co.kr/news/photo/202107/432221_547506_5922.jpg

Ahn Hee-yeon, Kwak Si-yang, and Kim Min-gyu have previously announced that they will appear in this work. Ahn Hee-yeon plays Kim Je-na of Cotton Candy, an idol who has failed in her 6th year of debut, Kwak Si-yang plays Cha Jae-hyeok, the representative of the entertainment company Cotton Candy is involved in, and Kim Min-gyu plays Seo Ji-han of the popular idol Mars.

'Idol' will be broadcast on JTBC in the second half of this year.

http://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=432221

EXID’s Hani Tests Positive For COVID-19 + Drama Halts Filming

28922312d95649be87dfcc3bcc3c3899.jpeg?s=

Jul 20, 2021
by S. Nam

EXID’s Hani has tested positive for COVID-19.

On July 20, SPOTV News reported that Hani had also tested positive for COVID-19 after a staff tested positive. The report states that Hani immediately used a self-test kit, and after testing positive, she received a confirmed diagnosis through a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test.

Following reports, Hani’s agency Sublime Artist Agency released an official statement, which is translated below:

This is Sublime Artist Agency.

Hani (Ahn Hee Yeon) has tested positive for COVID-19.

After becoming aware that a staff member she had been carrying out her scheduled activities with had been diagnosed with COVID-19, Hani underwent preemptive testing, and she received a positive test result today morning (July 20).

Hani is currently following government guidelines, and the company is also taking the necessary measures.

Hani had been in the process of filming for JTBC’s upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup.” The filming will temporarily be postponed. A source from the drama shared to OSEN, “We have canceled our filming plans,” adding, “The staff members who crossed paths with Hani or are suspected of coming into contact with her are being tested for COVID-19.”

We wish Hani a speedy recovery!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1480035wpp/exids-hani-tests-positive-for-covid-19-drama-halts-filming

Casting news

Singer Hong Eun-gi will appear in JTBC's new drama 'Idol'.

http://file.osen.co.kr/article/2021/07/20/202107201444770821_60f663f4b4be1.jpg

As a result of OSEN coverage on the afternoon of the 20th, it was confirmed that Hong Eun-gi had confirmed her appearance on JTBC's 'Idol'.

'Idol', starring Eun-gi Hong, is a new JTBC drama scheduled to air in the second half of this year, depicting the last story of a broken idol who needs only one success to disband. In addition to Hong Eun-ki, EXID members Hani, Kwak Si-yang, and Kim Min-gyu are also known to appear in 'Idol'.

In particular, for JTBC's 'Idol', PD Noh Jong-chan, who directed 'Personal Taste' and 'Clean with Passion for Now,' and Writer Jeong Yun-jeong, who wrote 'The Battle of Arangsato', 'Monstar', 'Misaeng', and 'Bride of Habaek 2017' The team is in sync with the audience's expectations. Meanwhile, Hong Eun-gi appeared in the movie 'Turn: The Street', which was released in March.

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111621835

• Awesome 1

Casting news

Jung Woong-in joins JTBC's 'Idol'... Becoming a founder

E6uj4dBVoAMF7Wu?format=jpg&name=large

Actor Jung Woong-in joined JTBC's new drama 'Idol', adding a heavy presence.According to Spotify News on the 20th, Jung Woong-in will appear in JTBC's new music drama 'IDOL (The Coup)' (hereinafter referred to as Idol).

J

ung Woong-in was offered the role of Ma Jin-woo, the founder and former CEO of Star Peace Entertainment in the play. As he has performed eye-catching performances in each work with impressive character digestibility, attention is paid to what new charms Jung Woong-in will show in this work. In addition, it is expected to exert a strong presence as a support for young actors in 'Idol', where a large number of new actors appear.

Ahn Hee-yeon, Kwak Si-yang, and Kim Min-gyu have previously announced that they will appear in this work. Ahn Hee-yeon plays Kim Je-na of Cotton Candy, an idol who has failed in her 6th year of debut, Kwak Si-yang plays Cha Jae-hyeok, the representative of the entertainment company Cotton Candy is involved in, and Kim Min-gyu plays Seo Ji-han of the popular idol Mars. In addition, Cosmic Girls' Exy and Laboum Solbin are positively considering their appearances.

http://www.spotvnews.co.kr/?mod=news&act=articleView&idxno=432456

Cosmic Girls' Exy, preemptive test for COVID-19... 'Idol' Hani Confirmed Aftermath

image_readtop_2021_698691_16267667424723

A Starship Entertainment official told Maeil Business Star Today on the 20th July, "Exy is preemptively conducting a COVID-19 test and waiting for the result. will be quarantined,” he said.

Exy conducted a preemptive test after Hani (Ahn Hee-yeon), who appeared together in the JTBC drama 'IDOL (The Coup)' (hereafter 'Idol'), was diagnosed with Corona 19. Hani heard the news of a staff member's corona 19 the day before, conducted her test, and received a positive notice on the same day.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/musics/view/2021/07/698691/

New casting news!:).

JungWoongIn and HongEunKi reportedly to join JTBC drama IdolTheCoup. Jung will play an entertainment company’s founder. Broadcast in 2nd half of 2021.

LeeEunSang confirmed cast for JTBC drama IdolTheCoup, he will act as #KimMinKyu’s bandmate and the sub vocalist of the boy group Mars who is the most popular idol group in their company. Broadcast in 2nd half of 2021.

WJSN’s Exy And LABOUM’s Solbin Test Negative For COVID-19 After EXID’s Hani Tests Positive

6f70fd1606e04d369ac9175cb5904d98.jpeg?s=

Jul 21, 2021
by U. Kim

WJSN’s Exy and LABOUM’s Solbin have tested negative for COVID-19.

Exy and Solbin are co-starring in JTBC’s upcoming drama “IDOL: The Coup” (literal title) with EXID‘s Hani, who tested positive for COVID-19 on July 19.

A source from Solbin’s agency Global H Media stated, “Solbin preemptively got tested for COVID-19 through a rapid antigen test, and she received negative results on the morning of July 21. Following health authority guidelines, she will self-quarantine at home for the time being.”

Exy’s agency Starship Entertainment said, “Exy was preemptively tested for COVID-19 on July 20 and received negative results. She will self-quarantine at home until there are further instructions from health authorities.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1480150wpp/wjsns-exy-and-laboums-solbin-test-negative-for-covid-19-after-exids-hani-tests-positive

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

jtbcdrama instagram update

달콤한 비주얼 코튼캔디 출격 준비 완료!
스타피스 1호 걸그룹 코튼캔디 COMING SOON!

JTBC 새 드라마 <아이돌: 더 쿠데타> Coming Soon!

Sweet Visual Cotton Candy is ready for sortie!

Star piece No.1 Girl Group Cotton Candy COMING SOON!

JTBC's new drama <Idol: The Coup> Coming Soon!

E_Ts99PUYAEzR80?format=jpg&name=medium

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT1SL2JM8QO/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

September 15 2021

Ahn Sol-Bin, Han So-Eun, EXY, & Green cast in JTBC drama “Idol: The Coup”

Idol_The_Coup-CS1.jpeg

Ahn Sol-Bin (Laboum), Han So-Eun, EXY (WJSN), and Green (Redsquare) are all cast in JTBC drama series “Idol: The Coup” starring Ahn Hee-Yeon, Kwak Si-Yang, & Kim Min-Kyu. The four newly announced ladies for the drama series will play members of 5 member girl group “Cotton Candy,” that also includes Ahn Hee-Yeon as group leader Kim Je-Na.

Ahn Sol-Bin will play Hyun-Ji. She is a rapper and dancer in Cotton Candy. She is the trouble maker in the group. Han So-Eun will play Stella. She is the oldest member of the group. EXY will play L. She is the main vocalist for the group. Lastly, Green will play Chae-A. She doesn’t have a special talent as the members of the group. Her parents are famous actor and actress.

“Idol: The Coup” will first air November, 2021 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: “Idol: The Coup” depicts an unpopular idol group’s last story. To disband the group Cotton Candy, the group needs only a one time hit. People that are important to the story include Kim Je-Na (Ahn Hee-Yeon), who has been a member of Cotton Candy for the past 6 years. Cha Jae-Hyeok (Kwak Si-Yang) is the CEO of the entertainment company which manages Cotton Candy. Seo Ji-Han (Kim Min-Kyu) is a member of the popular idol group Mas, which belongs to the same entertainment company as Cotton Candy.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/ahn-sol-bin-han-so-eun-exy-green-cast-in-jtbc-drama-idol-the-coup

• Like 1