[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel Princess上阳赋

sugarplum892

3 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

A few points about this ending puzzle me. XQ started out to find out who was behind the massacre of his soldiers, clear their names & bring the culprit to justice. He found out who it was, cleared the names of his soldiers but he let the culprit escape? Isn't he going to question Awu about Zitan? People who actively planned all this were HZ, Zitan, Dowager,  Zilong. Out of these Zitan was the only one who colluded with a foreigner to betray his own people. So Awu saved a man who colluded with a foreign power, who massacred her husband's army, tried to kill her husband, managed to kill his brother & the Emperor of the country. And XQ has nothing to say to this? I understand you cannot behead emperors in open court but that is why there are poisons? Or at least a jail cell? You just let him go...?

Like you let Jiner go...who also colluded with a foreign power, sold you to a rapist, lied to your current Emperor about the child being his which would create a serious contender for the throne...

I do understand not everyone can kill someone when the actual time comes, especially when its people you spent a considerable time of your life with. It easier in theory than practice but surely you can manage to not actively help traitors & murderers? 

This ending for Zitan & Jiner just leaves open a possibility of a repeat of what happened with King Jianning with someone wanting to claim the throne 20 yrs later. Why keep such dangerous loose ends?

Zitan gives up his ambitions of being an emperor and becomes a nobody to embrace an eternal mopping mode.I guess it is more harsh than a physical prison.His image has been thoroughly destroyed in front of the people,courtiers and soilders.He is just a former shadow of an useless emperor.The dangerous ones like Empress Dowager,Wang Lin,Zilv,Prince of Jianniang,General Song are dead.Zilong's son has no demons of the past to wrestle with.

He will have new enemies that he would make in his life time.

Xiao Qi is there to handle Helan Tuo for him till he is able to do it himself.

Sujine'r ending was unsatisfactory for me too.She deserved a solitary confinement for life.She isn't like Zitan so she can always harbor the ambition of seeing her son as a more worthy heir to the throne. 

I did like the shots of the grand empty throne in between the high octave drama of the last episode.The shots were of all cruel sculptures showcasing brute power.The throne through the series brought out the worst from all contenders.The cinematography has been a highlight in this series.Kudos to the crew for it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Thuc Duyen said:

Agreed with you. The scenes were rushed in the last episods. They probably gave too much screen time to Su jiner snd Qianer, both of which are supporting roles. I wish we had more lovey scenes with our couple. I also wish that HZ survived and redeemed himself vis a vis our couple by avenging HT. Hu sister’s death was a bit rushed and you had no time to digest, especially she had been so loyal to XQ. Aunt Xu’s death was crual and does not deserve to be dumped in the woods like that. We still don’t know about Zitan’s fate ( is he leading a normal life ?). My wish was to see their baby or babies being born, healthy and having a happy life, propably too demanding but I need some resolution. At least daddy Wang said  it, he wants Awu to be alive ( showing her some love but too late unfortunately).

Speaking of HT, did he die too or was he released back home?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurplrRain said:

Speaking of HT, did he die too or was he released back home?

He was left off the hook by Xiao Qi as I think he did not want to start a war with them. HZ did not survive to avenge his mum/sister deaths as the real culprit was HT. I know HZ was a villain but would have loved to have some sort of justice for him.

Edited by Thuc Duyen
  • Blob 1

11 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

Sequel: :fullofhearts: as long as we have ZYW in it:wub:

Another major thing which they skipped IMO is the whole planning Awu-XQ did to uncover who is working behind the scenes. It was their joint plan...would have been better to show how they planned, who told whom what & when in greater details at least in flash back:wacko: There have been so many unnecessary scenes in this drama & the ones they do cut are all the important ones:facepalm:

Hahahaha.. zyw did a great job on this project he gained so more in terms of popularity specially outside China and he truly deserve it. it's TRUE like the scene were the ministers went to cian temple the next scene they're  already inside the palace it's weird for me and obviously cut it off . when a scenario happened btwn XQ and Song   Zitan no where to found but all his eunuch are next to WX? and other thing when Gen Tang   ordered his men to protect WX she just walk a few step but the  next scene shes standing in the same spot. :lol:numbers of production mistakes too why is  this happened since they have a lot of time  like Duh (2 years ) to fix those small but obvious mistakes. but nevertheless this is a once in a life time experience  2 great actors in one drama that we cant have it in todays idol dramas.

Ps ZYW aging like a fine wine .as they say Men in their 40s are Hot AF!:tounge_wink:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, minglanfan2 said:

Sujine'r ending was unsatisfactory for me too.She deserved a solitary confinement for life.She isn't like Zitan so she can always harbor the ambition of seeing her son as a more worthy heir to the throne. 

@minglanfan2 I didn't like her ending either. Felt like she got off too easy. But I don't think she'll ever try to get the throne, if only because her son has no relation to the royal family and was a product of rape. 

• Like 4

I cannot agree more with everyone on here. I am a very impatient person so after reading all the comments jumped straight to ep68. And yes am feeling very empty and unsatisfied with the ending. There was so much tension being built up and then......its as if the directors just had enough and decided lets just end this thing fast and wrap it up :')

Fingers cross they release the uncut version as I need more Xiao Qi in my life. Still cannot believe so many good and innocent lives lost while Su Jin'er and Zitan just walks away as if nothing happened, no consequences what-so-ever. Awu didn't even seem angry at all. I mean come on.....Xiao Qi almost died because of these two.

I did however felt sad when general song died because he only went astray in the last part of the movie. And it all happened so fast. 

My biggest disappointment with this movie is why give so much screen time to supporting roles. Scenes with Xiao Qi was too short and fast while scenes with everyone else just drags on.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

I cannot agree more with everyone on here. I am a very impatient person so after reading all the comments jumped straight to ep68. And yes am feeling very empty and unsatisfied with the ending. There was so much tension being built up and then......its as if the directors just had enough and decided lets just end this thing fast and wrap it up :')

Fingers cross they release the uncut version as I need more Xiao Qi in my life. Still cannot believe so many good and innocent lives lost while Su Jin'er and Zitan just walks away as if nothing happened, no consequences what-so-ever. Awu didn't even seem angry at all. I mean come on.....Xiao Qi almost died because of these two.

I did however felt sad when general song died because he only went astray in the last part of the movie. And it all happened so fast. 

My biggest disappointment with this movie is why give so much screen time to supporting roles. Scenes with Xiao Qi was too short and fast while scenes with everyone else just drags on.

Xiao Qi became so popular with such restricted screen presence imagine what would happen if they gave him equal footage as the princess and schemers.:wub: .

We would all have a hard time being satisfied with a poorly written ML in a historical drama for a long time.

Setting the bar too high is not good for the hearts of the writers and viewers.:lol:

I want them to release the cut scenes of Xiao Qi so that I can keep rewatching them .:love:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

Agree too much time for supporting roles and most of them are evil. 

I wish to see more Xiao Qi-Awu romantic scene in these last 5 episodes. 

I feel their sparkling chemistry at its peak in first episodes and after that our OTP constantly separated (sometimes up to 10 episodes)  **general's life sigh**

I like to rewatch Ningshuo part to relive their happiest moments.

48 minutes ago, minglanfan2 said:

We would all have a hard time being satisfied with a poorly written ML in a historical drama for a long time.

From now on Xiao Qi is my #1 ML in all cdramas lol

Mei Chang Su has to step down to #2 also bc not much romance there.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, minglanfan2 said:

Xiao Qi beame so popular with such restricted screen presence imagine what would happen if they gave him equal footage as the princess and schemers.:wub: .

Setting the bar too high is not good for the hearts of the writers and viewers.:lol:

I want them to release the cut scenes of Xiao Qi so that I can keep rewatching them .:love:

Yes!!! Not sure if it was the writer intention to limit Xiao Qi's screen time just to keep us wanting more. If that was intentional then they've succeeded because I want more. I am constantly re-watching his scenes because I am not over him yet. Anyway we can get them to release the uncut version?

• Like 3

I think it's better to wait for subs to understand about what has happened in the last episodes. I believe subs will answer confusing questions. Bear in mind that the production had to cut 12 eps from 80 to 68. So, what do you expect? *sigh

.. and I am now re-watching TRP carefully to get better understanding, and in V*k* (not through YT) to get better translation.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blooming Blossoms said:

I cannot agree more with everyone on here. I am a very impatient person so after reading all the comments jumped straight to ep68. And yes am feeling very empty and unsatisfied with the ending. There was so much tension being built up and then......its as if the directors just had enough and decided lets just end this thing fast and wrap it up :')

as far as I know BTS video Zyw complaining that most of  or everyday in avshooting day He does mostly a fighting  scene ,so obviously the interaction btwn XQ and WX is less.Lol 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The.Lannister said:

A few points about this ending puzzle me. XQ started out to find out who was behind the massacre of his soldiers, clear their names & bring the culprit to justice. He found out who it was, cleared the names of his soldiers but he let the culprit escape? Isn't he going to question Awu about Zitan? People who actively planned all this were HZ, Zitan, Dowager,  Zilong. Out of these Zitan was the only one who colluded with a foreigner to betray his own people. So Awu saved a man who colluded with a foreign power, who massacred her husband's army, tried to kill her husband, managed to kill his brother & the Emperor of the country. And XQ has nothing to say to this? I understand you cannot behead emperors in open court but that is why there are poisons? Or at least a jail cell? You just let him go...?

Like you let Jiner go...who also colluded with a foreign power, sold you to a rapist, lied to your current Emperor about the child being his which would create a serious contender for the throne...

I do understand not everyone can kill someone when the actual time comes, especially when its people you spent a considerable time of your life with. It easier in theory than practice but surely you can manage to not actively help traitors & murderers? 

This ending for Zitan & Jiner just leaves open a possibility of a repeat of what happened with King Jianning with someone wanting to claim the throne 20 yrs later. Why keep such dangerous loose ends?

ZItan is a commoner with no titles, so what can he do?  Seriously not even comparable.  As for Jin'er, again, what the heck can she do?  She is divorced, single mother, which will be looked down upon in her society.  Also, Xiao Qi is one of the most powerful person in the kingdom, as the head of the military and quasi-regent.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2021 at 11:46 PM, The.Lannister said:

Yes this was another question I had. Who is the regent now? They showed us XQ & Awu are enjoying their time in Ningshuo with the children so then who will be Jinger's guardian/ regent? Like who is ruling that country??? :grimace:

Also dangermousie on Tumblr just shared the translation of the novel. The translation seems really good. In case anyone is interested here is the link

https://dangermousie.tumblr.com/post/644103336375779328/monarch-industry-novel-mtl

Thankyou for the link. I really like the reviews about TRP in tumblr.com from many bloggers.

Especially from Dangermousie. Love her thoughts and insights about Awu n XQ. Her review is fun n entertaining . She keeps updates daily about TRP since last Thusday.Really ease my longing to TRP (and XQ) after the drama is done LOL. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Nelly Lauw said:

Thankyou for the link. I really like the reviews about TRP in tumblr.com from many bloggers.

Especially from Dangermousie. Love her thoughts and insights about Awu n XQ. Her review is fun n entertaining . She keeps updates daily about TRP since last Thusday.Really ease my longing to TRP (and XQ) after the drama is done LOL. 

I still chase this drama daily on youtube:wub: 15 days to go..

Thank you @Nelly Lauw and @The.Lannister for the link on tumblr. I now have tumblr loll. Really love the way they write and Im living for their sarcasm! 

And I Wish they make more meme!! 

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

I still chase this drama daily on youtube:wub: 15 days to go..

Thank you @Nelly Lauw and @The.Lannister for the link on tumblr. I now have tumblr loll. Really love the way they write and Im living for their sarcasm! 

You are most welcomed. Yes i wish for more meme and their funny quotes. Really hard to move on from the ML,XQ hahahaha. Also,the cinematography of fighting battles and the scenery of ningshuo

• Like 6
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Nelly Lauw said:

You are most welcomed. Yes i wish for more meme and their funny quotes. Really hard to move on from the ML,XQ hahahaha. Also,the cinematography of fighting battles and the scenery of ningshuo

Haha I personally can rewatch cdramas countless time.. 

Fuyao, TMOPB, NIF and Minglan, only God knows how many times I rewatched them.

But I agree with you it's hard to move on from Xiao Qi, his character has the minimum flaws. 

This drama is all one package, cinematography is amazing, the enormity of the army and battle, the breathtaking scenery which looks like a painting. Not to mention I really like opening and ending songs.

And the cast! Like ppl said they died and gone to heaven when they see ZYW, same here!!

Wrap it up!:heart:

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Jolie Bijoux said:

@Nelly Lauw@The.LannisterAgreed with all of you on her writing, it is just superb. Her perspective/insight of the characters are very interesting to read.

• Like 7

@Nelly Lauw @Jolie Bijoux @Thuc Duyen Tumblr is a truly wonderful place. I started watching TRP because of some gifs mousie posted on her tumblr. Fell hook, line, sinker for XQ:wub: And their analysis is good too. This show doesn't have much fanart but some of the concepts on Tumblr are mindblowing & make you fall for a show more & more as you scroll through the gif sets, icons, etc I often revisit my old shows that way:heart:

• Like 7
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, The.Lannister said:

lace. I started watching TRP because of some gifs mousie posted on her tumblr. Fell hook, line, sinker for XQ:wub: And their analysis is good too. This show doesn't have much fanart but some of the concepts on Tumblr are mindblowing & make you fall for a show more & more as you scroll through the gif sets, icons, etc I often revisit my old shows that way:heart:

I’ve just read the writing by Orsuliya & dangermousies on the 2 good things that Daddy Wang has done in his life which were: he married Awu to XQ and kill aunt Xu. Their perspective is that Auntie Xu is not only meddling in with Awu& XQ’s life and was doing so with daddy Wang & Jinruo (with the death of daddy Wang’s old concubine). That was quite an interesting perspective as I sometimes got annoyed with auntie Xu and how she misjudged XQ with the whole contraceptive médecine saga and then blew things out of of proportion with Wang Su. Then she interrupted Awu and XQ’s discussion in the last few episodes when Awu was about to say something important to XQ and she butted in by saying it is her mother’s death anniversary soon and needs going to x’Ian temple to clean up. I do like auntie Xu but not having someone breathing on Awu’s neck every time LOL.

i would like to ask about a comment from daddy Wang when he said to Wang Su or his right hand man in the Ep 62 that he was wrong about XQ’s character. Does he mean that XQ is a much tougher man, not easily swayed, nor easily corrupted than he thought he would? Or does he mean that XQ is a loving, loyal man to Awu and his daughter is fully supporting her husband? Your thoughts would be much appreciated?

Edited by Thuc Duyen
  • Like 4