[Drama 2021-2022] Snowdrop, 설강화

gm4queen

The spoiler saved me from endless frustration and pain. I never thought that the day when I dropped a series would be so meaningful. I stopped watching around ep12, and I'm glad I did it. I mean, the recording was a red herring, sure, but I still hoped for a happy ending of sorts. The way Sohoo died was so....I'm speechless. What a way to ruin a show, which had so much potential.

Goodbye Snowdrop, in my head, Sohoo and YoungRo got their happy ending ala Crash Landing On You. And in my head they even got kids. I am much happier with my imagination.

• Love 1

Logically I understand why they couldn’t let Sooho live in the story. It would show too much mercy in a time where mercy was nothing short of a legend. For a drama that faced heavy criticism for it’s alleged distortion of history, it did an amazing job of painting a horrifically beautiful story of tragedy in a time of political unease. Neither government was shown in a positive light, and all the people beneath that of power were victims of corruption. Still, I had hoped that against all odds the writers with their creative minds would have found a way to have the character survive without attracting the ire of those who eagerly and prematurely label things as propaganda, but I suppose it truly was too difficult. 

this was the first drama I watched that I DOWNLOADED. There been countless dramas and this was the only one I wanted to have saved. I’m truly heartbroken for the characters. I’ve seen the clips of ep 16 and have decided to forego watching it. I wish they hadn’t killed him off so brutally. 

It’s regrettable that the criticism and complaints have deterred so many from watching this. Snowdrop unraveled little by little and it took time for the story to prove the accusations were exaggerated, but it was too late by then. 

I hope we get to see Haein and Jisoo as costars again, their chemistry is like no other I’ve seen before. 

• Like 1

It wasn’t the ending I wanted. But it was a realistic ending. It really showed how brutal those in power can be. How people were expendable and how ruthless they were to reach their ambitions. 

Despite some things in the show that I wished were written differently, this show managed to keep me on the edge of my seat with suspense and glued to the screen with anticipation every episode. The show made me care for every character in that dorm, that towards the end it was very chilling when some of them were coldly murdered. . Soo Ho’s death was tragic and horrific and the most heartbreaking one of all. 

For me, personally, my takeaway is that, no matter how ruthless the world is, and how some people can be very evil, there will be something that is more powerful than that. As one scene depicted a character saying: “Love is more important than ideology and principles. Whether you're a man or woman, that’s the truth of life.” 

Soo Ho and Young Ro symbolizes that without bias or prejudices, what they embraced and showed us was just love in its purest form.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

holyhaein IG Update with Jisoo 

FKYHBqraQAADH4n?format=jpg&name=large

Jisoo IG Update 

“Snowdrop” Ends On 2nd-Highest Ratings Of Its Entire Run

On January 30, the drama starring BLACKPINK’s Jisoo and Jung Hae In aired its final two episodes on the same night. According to Nielsen Korea, the penultimate episode of “Snowdrop” scored an average nationwide rating of 2.8 percent, while the series finale earned an average rating of 3.4 percent—marking the second-highest ratings of the drama’s entire run. (The show’s highest average nationwide rating was 3.9 percent, achieved by its second episode.)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

This thought just occurred to me that they made Soo Ho's character die before even giving justice to his character - he died as an "evil communist" in the public's eyes when all he did was sacrifice his life to save Young Ro and all the other South Korean students. Just thinking about that makes me so sad - the way he was killed so brutally by the South Korean side as well.

This poor guy had such a big heart to sacrifice himself for the South Koreans but not only was his sacrifice not recognised, people still misunderstood him as a "communist". I feel the pain and injustice for his character because he could have easily escaped and lived and meet Young Ro in the future - he did say as long as both are alive, they would meet somehow. But he went back and chose to die for Young Ro and the students instead. Heck, he could've even gotten Gang Mu to stay behind to fight the SWAT team instead then he would have escaped safely with Young Ro but he chose to sacrifice himself and let Gang Mu go instead T_____T

Also, does anybody know what was written on the last aeroplane they showed? Or was it the same aeroplane from before? Thanks!

Edited by baconham
  • Like 3

Snowdrop actress Yoo In-na, "Moran-bong, from Doctor Kang Cheong-ya, my name is Eun hye-Kim.

Actress Yoo In-na perfectly portrayed the role of Kang Cheong-ya, a talented surgeon and Moran-bong No.1 who hid her reality in the JTBC Saturday drama ' Snowdrop' : Snowdrop which ended on the 30th.

© http://naver.me/xkeFfjgq

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Dear Chingus, we are back with an exciting Quick Poll!:wow1:

Many of our favourite dramas will be on a hiatus. While we wait for our dramas to air, let us experience the thrill of Winter Olympics. Do participate in the poll and let us know about your favourite events that never fail to give you the adrenalin rush. :highonflowers:

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

JTBC’s “Snowdrop” said goodbye to viewers in a new behind-the-scenes video!

The series finale earned an average rating of 3.4 percent – marking the second-highest ratings of the drama’s entire run. (The show’s highest average nationwide rating was 3.9 percent, achieved by its second episode.)

The clip begins with Jung Hae In greeting everyone with a warm smile. He says, “Today is the last day of filming. It’s time to say goodbye to ‘Snowdrop.'” He shared that he’s feeling so many complex feeling that he can’t describe them and added, “I think I’ll know once I film the final scene. Usually when a drama ends, you feel relieved, but how do I put it? It’s bittersweet.”

When asked what he wants to say to his co-star BLACKPINK’s Jisoo, he remarked that he wants to thank her and tell her that it was enjoyable filming with her. He continued, “I was very surprised by Young Ro (he’s calling Jisoo by her character’s name) on the set because of the way she immersed into her acting and her attitude towards the staff. [She has a] bright and positive energy. She understood the director’s directions very well, and she showed them right away. I was surprised by her speed and skills.”

Then Jung Hae In remarked, “Thank you for everything, Young Ro, and I really won’t be able to forget [you]. Jisoo is the best!”

jung-hae-in2.jpg

Jisoo starts off her farewell message with a warm greeting to the viewers as well. She says that after a year of shooting “Snowdrop,” they finally filmed the last scene today. She remarks, “It doesn’t feel real yet [that it has come to an end], but I think it will hit me a few days later. I’m still feeling dazed, but I worked hard, so I hope you all enjoyed it. Thank you

for loving ‘Snowdrop’ a lot.”

She also shares a message to Jung Hae In, saying, “I think you worked hard to lead me because it was my first time playing a lead character, so I want to say thank you so much. Thanks to you, I was able to gain strength to film, so I really, really appreciate it.”

Spoiler

blackpink-jisoo.jpg

Yoo In Na comments, “I wanted to show you a new side through this project, and I’m curious what you thought [about it]. I really did my best and had a lot of fun filming . I hope many people have a great time watching our drama.”

The actress adds that she usually focuses on acting with one person in dramas, but through “Snowdrop,” she was able to work with a lot of actors at once. She remarks, “They were all so very wonderful, professional, and sweet, so it was a really enjoyable memory.”

Spoiler

yoo-in-na1.jpg

Next, Jang Seung Jo shares that he just finished filming “Snowdrop,” and laughing, he says, “Rather than saying I feel relieved, I think I should say I feel longing. I don’t feel cheerful.”

He then talks about Jung Yoo Jin (who played Jang Han Na) and Jung Hae In. Regarding Jung Yoo Jin, he mentions how they used to always be together in the beginning of the drama and expresses his regret that they had to be apart a lot when his character was trapped in the dormitory. He adds, “While filming, I wondered how you were doing.”

Jang Seung Jo comments that his character always fought a lot with Su Ho (Jung Hae In’s character), and through that, they became attached to each other. To Jung Hae In, he remarks, “Thank you, and I hope we can see each other again.”

Spoiler

jang-seung-jo.jpg

Other actors who share their farewell comments in the video clip are Yoon Se Ah, Kim Hye Yoon, Jung Yoo Jin, Kim Min Kyu, Jung Shin Hye, Choi Hee Jin, and more.

Check out the full video here:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1510898wpp/watch-jung-hae-in-blackpinks-jisoo-yoo-in-na-jang-seung-jo-and-more-say-farewell-to-snowdrop

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Does anybody know if these two scenes were ever shown in the drama??? I don't remember seeing these in the show....

Sorry not sure how to attach the photos here:

Z2CVpGI.png

r2AZsAV.png

Edited by gm4queen
Images embedded by gm4queen
  • Like 1

A snippet from breathlesssurvival blog:

Young Ro. I gotta give it to this girl. Her courage knows no bounds. She might be naive and clumsy, but she follows her heart to the end if she thinks she is making the right decision. Wasn’t surprised when she went back to Soo Ho despite he begging her to leave. She promised him she would be by his side until the end and she held to it. The writer, at least in this aspect, kept Young Ro’s character consistent throughout the drama. I also appreciated the times she punk-ed Soo Ho in a bid to save the hostages – it showed she had some steel and discernment despite having a massive crush on him. 

Soo Ho. Sigh. What I loved about him was he was a thinker and did not follow rules and orders blindly. He was ruled by his conscience and integrity, and also intelligence and bravery. I loved how he loved and protected Young Ro with mostly unspoken, single-minded determination. He knew she was too young and sheltered to comprehend his deep affection for her so he kept their interactions at her pace, always considerate, always careful, always holding himself back. He liked her on sight as she stirred something he thought was dead within him during their group date. She was the first person to show him care and kindness without expecting a reward. She risked her life for him many times without second thoughts. Her sweet innocence and guilelessness were like fresh air to his jaded, hardened soul. Soo Ho’s feelings for Young Ro at some points felt almost one-sided because he was so much more mature, physically, emotionally and psychologically, than her in all ways and at all levels.

Spoiler

The final scene where they showed a happy and alive Soo Ho as a musician in a cafe, as what he dreamt about doing if he had led an ordinary life. And a smiling, blissful Young Ro listening to him sing. Her last bright smile at the camera affected me because it represented the couple’s shattered dreams and future. Something that could only happen in another world, in another time. 

Jung Hae In was excellent and brilliantly emotive as Soo Ho – the best I’ve seen of him, in my opinion. I never thought he was a bad actor; just that all his roles so far failed to reel me in, with the exception of D.P, which he was solid in. I was completely immersed in and in love with Soo Ho because of his charismatic, moving performance. Boy needs to do more of these kinda stuff. And maintain his ripped physique and biceps because he looks hot and manly like that.

https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2022/01/31/eun-young-ro-saranghae/

Fan-made MV

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

The ending was cruel to Young Ro. .....yes I know they couldn't unite them but it was just all around cruel to her. She lost everyone. I have so many questions. Obviously there was big time jump because Young Ro would have been arrested at first....most would be arrested. So, the time between the end of hostage crisis to what we saw at the end was a 2 to 5 years gap. Where are the 207 girls, does Young Ro have any family or friends by her, how did Boon Ok and Pi go back to their old jobs, how did the NIS agents survive it all....is Soo Ho's family safe? We'll never know, I guess. The ending was bitter sweet and well done in a way but I just feel it came at severe emotional loss to Young Ro. I wish we had seen her years later with her husband and kids happy, yes Soo Ho would be a there in her heart as a scar, memory, hurt but I was hoping to see Young Ro get a new lease at life. 

Lastly, congratulations on airing it till the end to JTBC. I still am going to give the writing team an overall C- grade. The Cast A+ but not the writing. There were flashes of great moments shot beautifully but they had too much going on, too little logical explanation and shoddy execution. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

@baconham I don’t recall seeing those two photos in any scenes. I have read there were some scenes that were cut out or rewritten. Most likely due to the controversy there were some changes, that’s what I read anyway. Some were also speculating that the ending was not supposed to be a tragic one.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I won't be re-watching as well.

THANKS GOD I STOPPED WATCHING THIS DRAMA ...I HAD A BAD FEELING I STOPPED AND PLANNED TO WATCH LATER IF THEY END WELL...I READ IT IS A SAD END SO I DID WELL !!!

@baconham found this on twitter about the paper plane. I'd like think this is a confirmation of the Blu-ray. 

Tho it was heart wrenching, I am satisified with the ending. SH died protecting his beloved and YR was his "snowdrop" all along, she stayed until the end for SH.

All of the NK agents died except for CY, that was expected, they can never live a normal life after what happened in the dorm. Their manner of death was gruesome but this drama is all about that. At least it wasn't a Romeo & Juliet type of ending. I thought YR will also die in the attic after Nam Taeil took over but she survived the ordeal. SH gave YR a casette tape on their first and last meeting, we get to finally hear the magic three words from this drama. 

So JHI's favorite scene was the one wherein SH's singing in front of YR. They gave us an alternate ending. It was GM and HN who had their happy ending instead, plus Miss Pi and Bun-ok.

My only problem is... they never kissed again after the one in the attic lol

I will remember this drama for a long time. As what SH said, even when life is hard, we still have to live despite that. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1