[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Jun Jiu Ling 君九龄

sugarplum892

My first impression of this drama was amazement at how outspoken JJL's maid is. I noticed that a lot of dramas often have unruly and outspoken maids serving their ladies. I guess they are a plot device to seek justice for their masters. I find it a tad annoying. 

Aside from that, I love how fast paced it is. 

Thanks for the link @SC2019

10 hours ago, ElleSor said:

My first impression of this drama was amazement at how outspoken JJL's maid is. I noticed that a lot of dramas often have unruly and outspoken maids serving their ladies. I guess they are a plot device to seek justice for their masters. I find it a tad annoying. 

Aside from that, I love how fast paced it is. 

Thanks for the link @SC2019

Yes, she was rather outspoken, but I guess in a strange way, she speaks out for the FL who can't, as the later is supposed to be calm and composed in her role. So, it's kinda like the two of them in combination explain a situation, thoughts and feelings altogether? well, that's my quirky way of seeing it.

They aired E09-10 last night and today plus tomorrow, we only get 1 episode per night, and then on Sunday, back to 2 episodes. :brokenheart:

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:57 AM, SC2019 said:

Yes, she was rather outspoken, but I guess in a strange way, she speaks out for the FL who can't, as the later is supposed to be calm and composed in her role. So, it's kinda like the two of them in combination explain a situation, thoughts and feelings altogether? well, that's my quirky way of seeing it.

They aired E09-10 last night and today plus tomorrow, we only get 1 episode per night, and then on Sunday, back to 2 episodes. 

I guess the outspoken servants are sort of the plot device for ideas and sentiments of the demure female lead to be aired. 

Yeah, I noticed that about the episodes. Is that the norm for airing episodes in China?

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

I guess the outspoken servants are sort of the plot device for ideas and sentiments of the demure female lead to be aired. 

Yeah, I noticed that about the episodes. Is that the norm for airing episodes in China?

This was how Stand By Me was aired. Based on the airing pattern, this is how a TV drama would be aired, as opposed to a webdrama. So JJL must be a TV drama, thus the daily airing.

Yes, you've explained it very well on the maid's outspokenness!

15 hours ago, SC2019 said:

This was how Stand By Me was aired. Based on the airing pattern, this is how a TV drama would be aired, as opposed to a webdrama. So JJL must be a TV drama, thus the daily airing.

Yes, you've explained it very well on the maid's outspokenness!

Thanks so much for explaining about the airing schedule.

• Like 1

I've just finished ep 7. I should say some scenes are filmed a bit too long, however some are awesome, like

Spoiler

when during the competition with NYZ,  JJL throws a bundle of arrows and everyone is stunned and WOW- effected; everyone but poor Zhu Zan, who is quite in shock and pain because he instantly remembered child JJL using the same technique...

Very good acting by JH:heart:

• Blob 1

20 hours ago, leo2020 said:

I've just finished ep 7. I should say some scenes are filmed a bit too long, however some are awesome, like

Hide contents

when during the competition with NYZ,  JJL throws a bundle of arrows and everyone is stunned and WOW- effected; everyone but poor Zhu Zan, who is quite in shock and pain because he instantly remembered child JJL using the same technique...

Very good acting by JH:heart:

Ah yes. I watched it raw and was very impressed by what she did.

I'm guessing she (as a Princess) was taught some martial arts or something in order to be able to defend herself at some point. 

4 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Ah yes. I watched it raw and was very impressed by what she did.

I'm guessing she (as a Princess) was taught some martial arts or something in order to be able to defend herself at some point. 

It is my understanding it was just a special impressive skill for this particular game that she mastered.

Add: I'm at ep12 already. Enjoying it even more now, since they are now

Spoiler

all at the capital. 

Du Ya Fei's hair and style makes him look gorgeous ( and dangerous as well). Cried a river at ep 12, the tomb-flower scene was superb. Top acting by JH. 

By the way, they say the drama is scolded for many things, es. plot holes, inconsistency (???), and (my jaw dropped down to the floor) Jin Han being not handsome (these is the nicest word re the matter among others that some netizens say) enough for a ML and for PXR. I'm really clueless re the last part, since I consider him extremely attractive and talented, in addition I think the role suits him 100%, and he has great chemistry with PXR. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ElleSor said:

Ah ok. I guess she concentrated in medicine.

Seems like that. I suppose if she knew some martial arts she would

Spoiler

kill her uncle with that knife attack.  

Furthermore, she without any doubt is experienced in navigating through palace life, learned palace "operating ways" and politics as well. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I continue watching, and I am growing to like Du Ya Fei's acting more and more with every episode. His facial expressions just give me shivers^_^, and

Spoiler

he is very good at "uncovering" Lu Yunqi's obsession with JJL.

I wish they show us more details of the plot behind the murder of JJL's father  the Emperor, and if Lu Yunqi has smth to do with it.

9 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Hi everyone, I continue watching, and I am growing to like Du Ya Fei's acting more and more with every episode. His facial expressions just give me shivers^_^, and

Reveal hidden contents

yes, hats off to him for playing that creepy role so well! Tonight, flooding of 6 episodes, if you can understand Chinese subs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

Unfortunately I would have to wait for English subs, however that's totally OK :grin:

I saw the previews for E23-24, things are definitely warming up btwn our ML and FL. I am curious when she will finally reveal her identity to him. Oh, and by E24,

Spoiler

Du Ya Fei's character plans to marry Jun Jiu Ling as he is besotted with her likeness to Chu Jiu Ling. And then the other men step up to make a claim on her. Zhu Zan with his brawn and Childe Ning with his claim of having been betrothed to her, though I suspect that's a ploy to just make the water murkier and to difuse the tension btwn Zhu Zan and Lu Yin Qi; she's made it clear to him that she has no eyes for Childe Ning (sigh, what a waste!).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

I am curious when she will finally reveal her identity to him

I suppose we have to wait a little longer, as  it is my understanding she deliberately decided to hide  her identity from him, partly because she doesn't want him to be involved in her revenge plans since it is too dangerous. There were a couple of moments she was just seconds away from reaching out to him on this matter seeing how upset he is, but every time either the moment was interrupted or she stopped herself.

41 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

Hide contents

she's made it clear to him that she has no eyes for Childe Ning (sigh, what a waste!).

I actually am  a bit annoyed  with Childe Ning... Such a waste of screentime so far, the character is just doing nothing (apart from that stunning chess game scene) - no development at all. Hope he could make himself useful in future, right now please just send him to take these exams already for God's sake :tounge_wink:.

Llittle Feng cousin isn't doing any better either, I mean I understand his family could just protect his feelings, so they do nothing to upset him on this matter, but I sincerely hope he would outgrow his childish crush on JJL soon, overwise it would be hard for the character to develop as well.

Overall, I should say IMO they have too many men for only one female character :winkx:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 3:13 PM, leo2020 said:

I suppose we have to wait a little longer, as  it is my understanding she deliberately decided to hide  her identity from him, partly because she doesn't want him to be involved in her revenge plans since it is too dangerous. There were a couple of moments she was just seconds away from reaching out to him on this matter seeing how upset he is, but every time either the moment was interrupted or she stopped herself.

I actually am  a bit annoyed  with Childe Ning... Such a waste of screentime so far, the character is just doing nothing (apart from that stunning chess game scene) - no development at all. Hope he could make himself useful in future, right now please just send him to take these exams already for God's sake :tounge_wink:.

Llittle Feng cousin isn't doing any better either, I mean I understand his family could just protect his feelings, so they do nothing to upset him on this matter, but I sincerely hope he would outgrow his childish crush on JJL soon, overwise it would be hard for the character to develop as well.

Overall, I should say IMO they have too many men for only one female character :winkx:

I haven't read the novel yet, but from what I gather, it is how it is supposed to be in the original novel. Childe Ning and her cousin both had crush on her, but they couldn't advance as they knew that they were not the ones in her heart. They still cared about her and tried to protect her in ways that they could.

In the novel, after she got to the capital and Childe Ning saw her again, he did try to pursue her but to no end. Jiu Ling was a strong-willed lady who knew what she wanted and often kept a calm exterior. Only in front of Zhu Zhan did she loose her cool.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

5 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

I haven't read the novel yet, but from what I gather, it is how it is supposed to be in the original novel. Childe Ning and her cousin both had crush on her, but they couldn't advance as they knew that they were not the ones in her heart. They still cared about her and tried to protect her in ways that they could.

In the novel, after she got to the capital and Childe Ning saw her again, he did try to pursue her but to no end. Jiu Ling was a strong-willed lady who knew what she wanted and often kept a calm exterior. Only in front of Zhu Zhan did she loose her cool.

I totally understand the role of every male in her life, I was just joking , since we usually get only one, may be two rivals opposite to male lead:grin:

• Like 1

I've watched up to episode 24 (RAW version). So far, the tug and pull between Jiu Ling and Zhu Zhan is electric. The CP development is definitely the main attraction for me. 

About Jin Han: I have no idea why netizens charge Jin Han with poor acting and looks. He has a command of his emotions that can flip from jovial to sorrow in a seeming instant. It gives the impression that he hides his pain under a mask of a smile. Which I think is one of the saddest emotional combinations. The moment in his room, after he gets news that the princess has passed away. It looked like he went straight to a dark place. And that beautiful mourning at her supposed gravestone. Sometimes, I think he still suspects Jiu Ling is the real princess. Other times, I think he is just kidding himself and staying with Jiu Ling because she reminds him of the princess. It begs the question: when is the point we truly let go of someone? Or perhaps accept someone new? Or is it fair that Jiu Ling becomes a replacement for his first love? I like these sort of dilemmas (it's not a dilemma because we know Jiu Ling is the true princess), but it is a dilemma to Zhu Zhan until Jiu Ling finally fesses up. 

Spoiler

Episode 24 is hilarious! I can't remember how many times I've re-watched it. A good %50 is CP comedy. I was mostly like: put this man into a comedy. Right now! Jin Han as drunken Zhu Zhan is a hoot.

Funny #1: Zhu Zhan being mighty pleased with himself that Jiu Ling thinks of him as a husband. He self consciously smoothes his hair, then backtracks and claims he already likes someone else. And Jiu Ling shouldn't kid herself in love with him. Jiu Ling looks on amused, with the biggest grin on her face.

Funny #2: 

"And now you dare desire me. The legendary, great hero!"
"Okay great hero. Now drink your tea." [The tea is to help counteract alcohol] 

It was such an organic and funny response from Jiu Ling. The description does no do Peng Xiao Ran justice.

Funny #3: everything about the 'morning after'. The fact that Jiu Ling just lets the silly oaf sleep in her bed. She wakes him up by tickling his nose with a furry twig. Then she lets him catch and hold her hand when he wakes. And talks to him so happily and endearingly, like they have been a couple forever. If all that doesn't scream acceptance, I don't know what does. A role reversal ensues, because Zhu Zhan gets all flustered about whether or not they slept together (they didn't, Jiu Ling is just messing around with him). Jiu Ling gets up close and whispers intimately if he wants her to "be responsible for him". She actually leans in for a kiss and Zhu Zhan turns away and walks off. Dummy! 

• LOL 1

41 minutes ago, Nudafu said:

I've watched up to episode 24 (RAW version). So far, the tug and pull between Jiu Ling and Zhu Zhan is electric. The CP development is definitely the main attraction for me. 

About Jin Han: I have no idea why netizens charge Jin Han with poor acting and looks. 

First, I should apologize, I haven't read your "hidden content" since I don't want to "spoiler" myself, but I

will definitely come back and read it after I watch everything up to ep24 :wub:

About Jin Han:

Most comments I read are about his looks (basically just "not beautiful enough" :warning:, but said harshly), his attitude onset (???),  and him presumably cheating on his girlfriend. By the way, his girlfriend is (or was, I really don't know how the things are now) one of IMO the most beautiful actresses in the whole industry - Zhang Zhixi. So she finds him handsome enough,  ha?))))

Other times, I think he is just kidding himself and staying with Jiu Ling because she reminds him of the princess. It begs the question: when is the point we truly let go of someone? Or perhaps accept someone new? Or is it fair that Jiu Ling becomes a replacement for his first love? I like these sort of dilemmas (it's not a dilemma because we know Jiu Ling is the true princess), but it is a dilemma to Zhu Zhan until Jiu Ling finally fesses up.

He definitely associates her with the Princess he loves, but unconsciously starts to like her for who she is now as well. The problem and bit of absurdity :grin: is he is the one who thinks she is another girl, not his first love - for us, as a viewers (as you'vementioned), he actually loves JJL only, for JJL he is also the same ZZ from her childhood. 

I am sooo looking forward for the moment she tells him the truth :heart:

• Like 1