[Drama 2017] Circle 써클

larus

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Premiere Watch: Circle, Fight My Way, Lookout

by javabeans

Tomorrow should be a very interesting day, with three competitors launching all at the same time and doing their best to command the most eyeballs right out of the gates. Technically, only two are direct competitors since tvN’s drama airs an hour after the rest, but it’s still going to be a fight to see who garners the most interest and the biggest piece of the pie. All three new shows are quite different in genre and approach, so on the upside, we can start the week with a little variety.

Circle (also Circle: Two Connected Worlds)

premiere_circle2.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Sci-fi, mystery
Episode count: 10

Reasons to watch: There are a lot of factors that make me anticipate Circle’s premiere, like the fact that it stars commanding young actor Yeo Jin-gu (Jackpot), who is great in everything, and Kim Kang-woo (Goodbye, Mr. Black), whom I have realized I like very much when he’s playing intense types, villains, or characters with zero romantic storylines. There’s also the experiemental split structure that I find interesting, with one part taking place in the present and the other in the future.

But really, it’s the drama’s straight-up sci-fi classification that has me the most excited, because dramaland just doesn’t do enough straight-up sci-fi (what sci-fi it does attempt is often tempered with other genres, like vampire thrillers or time-traveling romances). Also, the last series with a strong, clear sci-fi bent that I can think of was also from tvN and ranks as one of my all-time favorites, Joseon X-Files. So I’m looking forward very much to watching this plot unfold about aliens visiting Earth, and seeing through the dual timelines how that develops over the course of 20 years. I don’t expect romance or comedy or horror or thrills, just a single, high-concept narrative that is told in what I hope is a crisp, short-n-sweet story.

(Note: Originally announced as 12 episodes, I’ve seen recent articles also cite 10 episodes. I’m not 100% certain what the true final count is, but heads up in case this number changes again.)

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/premiere-watch-circle-fight-my-way-lookout/

A clear fancam from Circle preview however it's a YJG-focused cam only...

Cast and director were asked questions...

- PD was asked why people should watch Circle and he mentioned the visuals of the actors :) and the acting~

- KKW's question was what ratings does he expect for Circle, he passed the question to YJG, which YJG passed to GSY and GSY passed to AWY :D:D:D AWY eventually answered 3 (I think?) and he mentioned that they already took pics of their pledge if they got to 3%.. that Jingoo would give out coffee and hug the first ones to arrive.. and Jingoo looked a bit surprised XD I'm striking it cos I might've translated wrongly lol

- YJG was asked about his type of girl

- Fans made acrostic poems for Circle (Sseo-keul)... The cast would each pick the one that they liked and the PD would choose the best one. The best one would get the chance to take selfies with the cast.  The one that won was the one Jingoo picked. <Sseo - Summer night! Keul- Cooler than clubs in the night!>

So there's this article about Fight My Way, Look Out and Circle premiering on the same day.. Although Fight My Way are the top 2 comments, while going through the rest of the comments, it seems like most people are voting for Circle and Lookout~ yay~~~

Although people are also saying that voting is pointless cos Circle is gonna air at a different time anyways LOL

Spoiler

YisRcq3.png

Yeo Jingoo's drama (Circle) and movie (Warriors of the Dawn) are both ranking on naver right now :D 

Jingoo reminding fans to watch Circle~ :D

Translation: Everyone!!!! Circle will broadcast tonight at 11pm!!! You haven't forgotten, right??? Watch the broadcast, stay tuned to the channel!!!!!!! Please anticipate it and give it lots of love!!! #Circle #TwoConnectedWorlds #Tonight #FirstBroadcast #DugeunDugeun #StayTunedToTheChannel #WatchTheBroadcast #9ooGram

4qwWhWa.png

Naver real time search atm #1 Circle #5 Yeo Jingoo #10 MonTuesDrama

http://entertain.naver.com/comment/list?oid=213&aid=0000965854

Spoiler

Many comments are saying how the portrayal of college life is so relatable and people were shocked by jingoo's portrayal with his part-time job of being a ghost. :D  But it seems like the CG is being criticized T_T

I really liked it. Yeo jin gu and kim kang woo are naturals and as great as ever. Intrigued about gong seung yeon's character and the relation between the "normal" student lookalike and the alien version. Ki kwang just keeps getting better and better; I hope he gets more recognition after this drama. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds and more of the awesome supporting cast. Fingers crossed for ratings!

Finished watching the ep :D The acting is superb as expected, everyone was amazing! There were funny and sad parts... the brotherhood chemistry between AWY and YJG was really great. KKW and the others from Part 2 also delivered so well I actually thought the CG was good (especially given the very short production time of this drama)... 

Spoiler

That scene where Jingoo was pleading to his brother... ugh when Jingoo cries, I cry T_T Lee Gikwang also did great for someone who had to show he is hiding something but appear nonchalant. KKW was able to nail the chill + here-for-business feel.. 

LOL when Jingoo was dressed up as a ghost though, he looked really pretty :D 

I think it's safe to assume that KKW's character is either AWY or YJG? As it was implied at the end of the episode...

I'd still need to wait for subs to fully understand the episode..so far I enjoyed the fast pace and the mystery and the world building. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, Eichhoernchen said:

Hi is there any of you who did live recap? I did for eps 1 but I did it in twitter. if you guys interested I can do it here :)

Yes please! Then maybe put it in spoilers first~ :D  Can I also check out your twitter? 

Just finished watching the first ep!  I like what I see so far (thank goodness)!  Things are moving quickly, which I guess is expected, since it's a shorter series. 

So, I watched on dramafever, and when they first mentioned the Human B System, there was an on-screen explanation that they didn't translate.  Hmm...  Will have to go back to that part and try to puzzle out what Korean I can understand.

And the part at the very end, when the one detective guy (who appears in both timelines, and whose name I don't have memorized yet!) says to Joon Hyuk when he enters Smart Earth

Spoiler

Did he say "Find your siblings?"  Whaaaaa?  Okay, curve #1, he could be one of the twins.  But did they translate that correctly, "siblings", plural?  Gonna have to watch that part again too.

Episode 2, please :)  Need some answers over here, pronto.

6 hours ago, craptelly said:

I actually thought the CG was good (especially given the very short production time of this drama)

Yeah, me too!  It was totally fine.  Nothing cheesy, and definitely nothing to complain about. 

Archived