[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, kaqueski said:

In Korean folklore, there is Samshin grandmother, who is a god in charge of birth and death of humans. She's a powerful one, she created Euntaek because she warns ET's mother ahead and told ET's mother to sincerely pray when in trouble, that's how Goblin heard it and save her. That's why everyone is her child, like Goblin also said he was born as Kim Shin who is also her child. 

We see throughout that the lady in red is always helping children, being guardian. 

I think this article will explain it more perfectly:

I said the same thing.. the very first time the switch happened.. :)

• Like 5

Interesting small world of our Goblin actors.

Lee Sun Gyun sent a coffee truck - he acted with both Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun.

Jeon Do Yeon - acted with both Gong Yoo and Kim Go Eun ....

It would be great to see both Dokkaebi and his bride fighting for their love. If it is possible to figure a way out of their dilemma. 

• Like 19

Spoiler

2017 lineup doesn't sound half as exciting as the entire 2016 was..

so many would leave for military ..

returning ones are not so many actors.. or popular actors at that..

biggies r busy wid movies.. come once in a while to dramaland..

ah!.. the dark times ahead.. autumn after every spring.. :(

I just hope LDW finds true huge humungus success and does some good project (unlike the scare blademan sorta stuff)

Edited by LyraYoo
Offtopic
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, gutibear said:

@naritul i like lady red too!! it's obvious that she's not happy when she told KS about circumstances surrounding ET's fate. She created ET to end KS immortal life but she didn't know then that they will falling in love with each other (or did she?). Based on current situation, ET is not safe that's why I guess she told KS everything, for ET's sake.

What would ET do now after she knows the truth? Hope she's not leaving. That will just increase her death probability rate without KS protecting her.

i like her too.. i can see that she's actually love them both.. KS and ET.. and this got me thinking... someone mentioned about "my GF is gumiho" where the male lead finally find a mid way out to settle their problem and got their happy ending due to heaven gone crazy or something like that (i forgot as why they finally can be together).. i think, by observing the red lady (she's probably some sort of deity), she's being compassionate to not only ET and KS,  but also to other kids she helped and to ET's mother.. so i bet, ET and KS love to each other will touch  the most superior, almighty god and HE will eventually show them their mercy... afterall, in every belief, God is always the most compassionate one.. cheers.. and we pray for a very happy ending.. so that our heart and soul can be at ease..:heart:. (pssssttt.. i actually hoping for a happy ending because i've been hurt greatly by CITT..)

• Like 10

Merry Christmas all! After having Christmas lunch, I decided to complete my thoughts on episode 8... my wife contributed her thoughts too. Am so glad that my wife and I are finding more k-dramas to enjoy together :)

Here's our joint entry on episode 8: https://kdramaanalysis.wordpress.com/2016/12/25/the-lonely-and-shining-goblin-episode-8/

I really loved ep 8 because I felt it was such a "meaty" episode with so many significant plot developments, especially that final scene... WOW! 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, selenette said:

I'm sure many people here have known this already, but the names written here are KIM SUN 金善  (on the left) and WANG YEO 王黎 (on the right).

Now onto the name meanings.

A. KIM SUN

from KIM  金 = gold, iron

and SUN  善 = virtuous, good, charitable, kindness  (Note: the character is formed by two other characters, 誩 ("say a lot") and  羊 ("goat" [= sacrifice, soft speech], implying that the person always speaks in kindness and is sefless/self-sacrificing)

---> GOLDEN VIRTUE, GOLDEN KINDNESS

B. WANG YEO

from WANG 王 = king (Note:  the three horizontal strokes are Heaven, Man and Earth. The vertical stroke is the king. A  king connects Heaven, Man, and Earth )

and YEO    = dark, black, many people

---> THE DARK KING, THE BLACK KING, THE KING OF MANY PEOPLE

Cmiiw. 

SOURCES:

Edit: @LyraYoo  thank you for the deeply insightful post on the King and Kim Shin!

@hushhh  Greetings! I am a Yoo In-na and Sunny fan, but I agree with you completely that the writer has to give this character more depths! Especially if she really was the Queen. 

After this, many parents-to-be are going to name their child with one of this name (depends on the gender). Lol :grimace:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@heroonthebeach hahha. i see W vibes in this Goblin too, but Gobin is done is such good taste.. that you don't feel its "Copying"  .

just like Woman-in Red said, ET changed the predestinated 'future' , changed the Rules, and became a new variable, when she ws unable to draw the sword, and when KS willed to live, just like some said, does the deity or Woman in love, factor in , that both of them may fall in love? by falling in love, then she can draw the sword, then it cannot be said that the Deity did not predesinate both to love each other, since it is only by One-True-Love, then can draw the sword... ? which is the reason why she can't draw the sword, since she and he does not faced and acknowledge their own budding deep love for each other... to confess by their own mouth, and recognised in their own hearts, then she can draw the sword..... wihich means by KS unaillingness to die in her hand, changed her fate and make her a new variable....

okay, give me W- dad Oh Sung-moo's magic tablet, i will un-draw the myth-curse back 940 years, and the New Curse, will be having the Goblin Bride to kiss the Goblin-groom, and the Sword will disappear and instantly Goblin become Mortal human being and live till old age with Bride! Where to find that W-Magic-Tablet?

Yes you're so right @maryofbethany. it's definitely not copying as the style of the show is so distinctive and the characters are so refreshing and unique..! however, it's interesting to start to draw connections between the shows.. i'm actually keen if i have the time to write a blog entry on how kdramas explore the ideas of fate and predestination.. looking at shows like W Two Worlds, Goblin, Legend of Blue Sea, Signal or even Queen In-hyun's man.. i find that many kdramas like to explore connections between past and present, so it'd be fun to do an analysis! 

• Like 7

should i say this ep8, last 10 mins for so, reduced me to deep melancholic feels. i am touched.
touched by a immortal's very Mortals' plea, very mortal's desire, very mortal's helplessness.

"you want Eun Tak to live", even birth grandma knew he loved Eun Tak, and sought for her to live.

hear, what he plead, in redened eyes, he don't demand, he don't argued, he don't fight... he simply led down his pride, and seek permission...

"after living hundred years, when the days was appropriate, she was my first love,. i want to say i love her. i seek the permission, from the sky."
few things need take note:
First, he did NOT ask for immortality to continue, he did not ask for another 101 years or 200 years, he asked for 100 years, because like what he said at ep8, a mere mortal at most lived 100 yrs, so ET can only lived for another 90 to 100 years at most. this 'sought and earn' 100 yrs was to be lived for ET alone. he was not greedy for himself. when the day was appropirate, when enough memories were created and remembered, he lived and leave before enough 'history' between the two of them, then allowing her to be the one that end his life, will not be a regret for her.

secondly, she was his first love, he sought the chance to tell her, but before that. he wants not just verbal confessions. he want her to experience life of been loved as a Bride, been loved as a "First Love" experiences, to hear him saying "i Love You' from his own mouth... after witnessing her jealousy over a "imaginative' First Love 'in his past', he has the kick of teasing her, and getting the gratification of feeling her love thru her jealousy... and he will much desires the chance to let her know, she herself is that very First Love. Every woman wishes to hear this kind of confession, you may find it shallow, but above all other acts of love, nothing beats a straight confession of "love" from your loved one's mouth.

thirdly, after all these 939 years, he did blame the deity of the pain and curse he suffered, just like he whined over having no 'real face' but focus his anger or grudges upon, except a butterfly... yet in the most crucial point he allowed himself, to be humbled, and plea. not even using the many people that he has saved as a bargain chip, as a "bonus" arguement. he simply  humbled himself and Plea. Knowing (or even trusting) that there might be a possiblity of grace, from the deity that both he and reaper once deem as meriless. and cruel. i beg for grace, sought permission, acknowledging the Almighty's sovereignty yet at same time appeal to His Grace. in every sense, he render all due respect and submission, in itself is a sign of "repentance".  and isn't 'repentence ' always the very thing that Deity always sought from sinners and mortals?

hope, just like the Biblical Story in Old Testament, of Abraham and Isaac. where The Almighty sought Abraham total surrender and submisison in offering his son Isaac up for sacrifice, to test him. Yet after proven Abraham's loyalty, the Elohim (G-D) revealed His highter plan, and actual will, and provided a Ram fro sacrifice instead. Let's hope, the Deity is deem here, unlike what Reaper and Goblin has always said as meriless and crucial and indifference. but instead, ask only for his obedience and loyalty. but will render grace after tested and proven him.

i considered this point of the drama, a dead end. there's no way , if denied a 100 years grace, that KS will not choose to die instaed of seeing ET get wasted. Yet he wil not depart in gladness, knowing his demise will bled her and scarred her. while he sought to lure her to end  his life to save her... on the other hand, ET will resist pulling the sword, and will sought herself, to face her fatal end due to her usefulness expired. both will reduced to noble idiocy, while Reaper will work on saving KS, as Birth-grandma fought for ET's .

• Like 15

first time posting in this thread, but I have some burning questions I wanted to discuss haha. (posted this on db too)

now that we've seen additional flashback of the king with Kim Shin (when he was called to the throne room and presented with a sword) – I am wondering where that fits in the timeline because it seemed that he was exiling Kim Shin but then we know that KS died after returning from war?? 

the fact that Shin wrote the king’s name (Wang Yeo) on the lantern means that there are still missing scenes we have not seen am I right? as it shows that Shin at least still respected him and felt a “debt” towards him? I'm pretty sure that we haven't seen a side of the king that is more positive as the Goblin still honors his soul (?) after all that time?

• Like 9

Merry Christmas everyone! A few thoughts on the past two episodes -

The 7th episode i feel was preparing us for the real deal that 8th episode provide. It was relatively light and cute (except for the last few minutes) and really don't mind slow episodes if story is sort of consistent. 

First things first - i just cannot get over our Goblin's reaction to the kiss ROFL. behaving like some cutesy teenager covering his mouth and all haha. one of the things i absolutely ADORE in this show is Kim Shin's and Reaper's love hate relationship. So it's not surprising how much i cracked up when Reaper professed his love for Kim Shin, picking up the trick from Eun Tak (pfft), to save his ownership of the house or he when he planned to send Eun Tak packing so that he and Kim Shin can live happily together as they used to before.

I think these guys with Eun Tak and Deok Hwa have become such a family...i doubt they don't even realize that. Besides Kim Shin, i like how  Eun Tak shares a rapport with both Reaper and Deok Hwa. I especially was touched how all of them were there for her (with a cake) when she came back after her entrance exam.

Also what i found interesting was that after Deok Hwa's grandpa suggests for Kim Shin to think about living rather than dying, he gives it a thought and sort of tries to shed his inhibitions. So this time he has no qualms in admitting to being interested in being Eun Taks boyfriend - he goes all out to declare it-  or going out having fun dates with her (man the meta take on Train to Busan was so spot on. I still crack up when i think of Kim Shin freaking out seeing Gong Yoo's movie Bwahahaha)

I know for some the banters btw Shin and Eun Tak may come out to be way too repetitive. Yet i tend to enjoy them way too much because there is something so endearing about both the scenes and Gong Yoo's performance. I absolutely love how he brings the childishness whenever he is jealous and mad at Eun Tak over it. I can watch a jealous Goblin all my life, snatching away his own gifted cakes or becoming the antithesis of a Guardian to Tae hee oppa.

The stakes got way too higher in episode 8. I often wonder did things change when he hugged her. Apart from the silent moment they shared when she was singing at the wedding, the hug must have overwhelmed her with feelings, which is why maybe now she got a hold to the sword. (i absolutely loved the hug scene btw,...it felt like Eun Tak was feeling something really different ...ah the nuances KGE brings) Also the last time we were shown the sword was hurting was after they came back from Qubec where Kim Shin was totally mesmerized by her. This time as well he was having a blissful moment with Eun Tak giggling and what not when the pain striked...as if it was a not-so-gentle reminder about his punishment. As Deok Hwa's grandfather suggests the sword is both his prize and his punishment. with his prized moments, lies the truth of his punishment.

When Eun Tak asked him whether he was glad that it is after all her who is his bride, it took me back to the scene where he had drunk confessed that she was the first and his only bride. This time around too he smirked a little as if to say why is this even a question and assured her he was glad. While she went all glad and happy, not even fully recovered from the near death experience, all he could do is watch her painfully with misty eyes as she tells it's their destiny - a cruel destiny. (ack.i am a wreck i think by now). 

My favorite scene has to be where she lies besides a tired Kim Shin....soothing and easing his pain. The beauty of the scene leaves me speechless. There is something so surreal about it. The conversation between them....there is again the concealed pain of Kim Shin which Eun Tak is unaware of when he talks about his first love. How he watches her get prettier everyday and is greedy to keep watching her shine every passing day...but is that in his destiny? He asks her not to go and they get into their typical banter, yet they smile at the end cause that's the place they want to be - besides each other and you can see the peace in their faces. As though that is their little world.

I like it how ultimately does firm up his resolve (well sort of) to live...at least as long as Eun Tak is well and alive. There are some really cute scenes between him and Eun Tak where he fesses up that he likes seeing her jealous (aww) or the matter of factly confession he makes to Eun Tak that turns her into mush. hahahaha i cant get over how awesomely bland that confession was. 

Coming to Reaper and Sunny. I really hope we can see more of Sunny....i mean the episode runs almost an hour and 20 minutes sometimes right? Man didn't it kill me when Reaper cries in pain seeing the portrait of the queen! It is more or less clear that he is the King and Sunny is the queen. The flashbacks have sort of given some premise to another tragedy of this show....the tragedy of King, Queen and Kim Shin. By the flashbacks it is evident that the King did love Queen since a long time - and to order her death....i just cannot imagine the anguish. I hope we get more about all the grave sins that the King committed - there has to be an awful lot for him to get turned into a reaper (didn't Shin say once that you had to commit a million sins to become a reaper?) I feel a lot more worse thinking about the Queen - stuck in between her brother and husband must have been an ordeal for her. It makes for a fascinating tragic love story. King must have been played upon where his insecurities were used and fueled to the point where he might have started detesting Kim Shin. Each of these three had their own battles to fight....Kim Shin himself must have been torn between his duty, his loyalty towards the king and his sense of justice upon being treated unfairly. This track has so much potential in the present timeline....it sucks how much they are under utilizing it and sunny's part. 

In all this are we even getting hints of Deok Hwa maturing? Ever since he has read Kim Shin's confession and got to know about the sword and the people her could never forget he has started seeing Shin in a new light, seeing a different side to him. Will that lead upto him growing up and being the support to his uncle as is his legacy?

In all this i find Shamshin Grandma very confusing. The last scene has to be one of the most powerful ones. What stuck me most was how much he resents her. His fate is so cruelly twisted from the past and even now in the present! After killing innocents on the line of duty, he was declared a traitor and his loved ones where killed in front of him. After 900 years of painful immortality when it seemed like it was about to end, he got a new lease of life in the form of Eun Tak and it turns out there is this crazy situation where one has to die for the other to live. Is it just me who feels his fate is unfair? And when Shamshin Grandma comes out and says it's for his own happiness - it just hits where it hurts the most. Why won't there be resentment in his eyes then? It interplays beautifully with Eun Tak coming to know the consequences of drawing out the sword.

The last monologue just fits the situation....it doesn't seem like the heavens will ever give him the permission to confess to Eun Tak that she is after all his first love.

• Like 22

I just thought of something interesting. So ET is the key to end KS suffering which is why it is painful when she tries to take the sword out, but like a chain, KS should be the key to end the king's suffering because he was directly affected when KS wrote his name. So that means all the characters are linked and their destiny is linked too. So ET also indirectly affects the king's ending. The way the king clutches his chest seems so similar to when KS clutches his chest too. KS was awakened by his love for ET and the king was semi-awakened by his love for Sunny (seeing his queen in the painting). This actually is quite an interesting plot we have here as it seems all of their destiny are linked together. It's like trying to figure a puzzle when you only have a few pieces of the mystery.

• Like 11

39 minutes ago, CatchMine_ID said:

Can't hold feelings from this song ugh that 'I ask above for permission' in the end of ep.

Sorry if I'm blabbering too much in this page about this OST, I just love the concept every tense ending this song came out.These two will beg for life...

@CatchMine_ID wow.. you did that yourself, awesome. simply loved that scene whereby both laid on the floor cozy and warmed in their heart... an simple act by ET, should be something KS never dreamt for 939 years to find healing in. loved how she tenderly covered him with the blanket while she herself has nothing over herself, lift his head over a pillow, when her arms was her own pillow... pat his head caressed with such love, when she herself was aching all over after being thrown into mid-air for trying to 'make him beautiful"?  for someone meticulous in daily enjoyment and indugence, yet a pillow and a blanket will do..... yet he smiled and found silent joy in been pampered by herself. i loved to see how he opened himself up more and more, being comfortable to leak his true heart and genuine feels before her. telling her, don't go. for such a proud and lacking in social skill fellow, to humble himself to ask her to stay beside him, at such close proximity beside your while you sleep.. is just not something you will ask a girl to do, or will you expect a girl to be willing to do for you. and you dare to ask her, "don''t go"? it calls for a certain 'confidence" as well as leaking a 'want' a 'need' , needing her. nothing cheesy, nothing overly 'romantic' , far from whatsoever skinship... yet you felt her closeness, thru the silent, as if there are wordless conversation between them flowing ... 
raw beauty.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chibimidori said:

i like her too.. i can see that she's actually love them both.. KS and ET.. and this got me thinking... someone mentioned about "my GF is gumiho" where the male lead finally find a mid way out to settle their problem and got their happy ending due to heaven gone crazy or something like that (i forgot as why they finally can be together).. i think, by observing the red lady (she's probably some sort of deity), she's being compassionate to not only ET and KS,  but also to other kids she helped and to ET's mother.. so i bet, ET and KS love to each other will touch  the most superior, almighty god and HE will eventually show them their mercy... afterall, in every belief, God is always the most compassionate one.. cheers.. and we pray for a very happy ending.. so that our heart and soul can be at ease..:heart:. (pssssttt.. i actually hoping for a happy ending because i've been hurt greatly by CITT..)

I did!!

and they did find a way...

I mean the heroine did die for sure.. as the rules would say.. but then god kinda took pity and sent her back..

Whatever.. it was.. a typical absolutely no solution to problem to.. happy ending

• Like 8

2 hours ago, wangnyeo said:

Interesting fact that both are tvN drama lead stars !!

and personally Seo hyun is my favorite actress of 2016 she slayed her role in another miss oh , while the best actor !! it is extremely difficult cuz this year has many many good productions and actor performances , specially Goblin ! how can I choose between LDW and GY !!  

I agree with you!! there is many great performances that it's TOO HARD to chose!! :blink: but I think I'll end up with Gong Yoo/Goblin and Lee Joon Ki/Wang So and I can't chose after that!! don't put me in that position!! waaaaaaa Gong Yoo/Goblin!! 

Edit: hhhhhhhhhhhhh I had to write Gong Yoo's name and post it at the same second to not double think!! :lol: that's really hard!! :lol: but he's my 1st crush and he's still so...:blush: 

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, maryofbethany said:

should i say this ep8, last 10 mins for so, reduced me to deep melancholic feels. i am touched.
touched by a immortal's very Mortals' plea, very mortal's desire, very mortal's helplessness.

I couldn't more agree with this. This my feels too, his face, his body language... So hopeless and wishful at the same time.

Thank you @maryofbethany and exactly... Silent joy and  sadness, kills our heart.

• Like 10

I'm dying to BGM to be released to have this Grim Reaper work's background music in my playlist. But this cover is nice as well.

The path of the deceased...i wonder if it's real name of this melody or it's fan named? This title suits this song.

This BGM is nice as well, such a light vibes from it:

• Like 14