[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

I really enjoyed the last four episodes. Just realized though that as Lee Seon, son of Royal Noble Consort Yeong, he would be the historic Prince Sado (no need to elaborate on horrible history), I think this story is wildly different already than the history, just wondering if they will connect the dots at any point. 

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, wingki13 said:

The preview for next week is already out here: http://tv.naver.com/v/1695033

The official episode didn't include the preview so now no one would translate it ;_____;

I think Gon will help CP to escape according to HG's order. Next week a few years time gap might happen then.

I just love how the story would completely turn to a new chapter next week. All of the cards are now open and there is no more secret (though GE doesn't know Chun Soo is the real CP yet, it doesn't really matter since he will no longer be). I'm still irritated by that fact that first it's HG then Gon knew the face of CP.

Chun Soo will hide from Gaeun while she will be looking for him? But with this fast pace, I think they would meet again by the end of next week episode anyway haha

thanks for the link @wingki13 i hope someone will sub the preview. Anyway, so you think that in the next episode, GE knows the truth behind his father's death??? 

Why would anyone want to name themselves N, L .. what happens after first 26.. :tongue: 

anyway so L he shines in moments.. the torturing scene was done very well.. today overall he was good!..

face was hidden for barely 2 hours.. lol..now everyone knows.. good! story can progress now.. so m guessing now he cannot escape rt? because L has been found out..

I am not sure if LY is honestly loyal to CP or an opportunist... CP wanted to do initiation as no poision can have an effect on him.. and he would not have to depend on villain for daily pills.. poor LY.. has no choice but become the puppet

So I just caught up from Ep 5 to 8

CP: Shouldn't we stop them from killing our subjects!! 
KING: "You have to become a great king and stop them"

CP: But how about we try x, y, z now while there's time
KING: "You have to become a great king to stop them"

CP: Haha ok I get it you're joking right now

KING: YOU...!!!  
Image result for missing the point
And that the moment I knew the King was a lost cause. 

Half way through Episode 6 I was just fed up. 
GE deserves better, her Father deserved better, Chun Soo deserved better, The CP deserves better... I could go on all day.  

Ep 7 & 8
The CP surprised me a lot during that meeting with DM! If he ever does become King I'd hate to be his enemy. Also the Kings plan failed (pretend shock), but I'm most interested to see what's going on in the Queens head. Something told me she was being a little too quiet and blending into the background during those early episodes. I fully expect her to be as bad if not worse than DM's group. 

Watching subbed now, but will come back for more comments. For now, I just want to share my take about why the palace was so quiet and no guards around as some of you commented. One reason being, a lot of the royal guards had been arrowed dead in front of the cave. Next, the most important reason I think, it is because of the Queen. Yeah, the Queen is on DM's side. Notice an official meeting her and urged her to make a decision. So she was the one who made it possible for DM to attack into the palace and kill the King. Consort I believe was poisoned by her too, the same as baby CP during his first bath.

I am beginning to appreciate HG in CP's life because for now she is the only one I can count on to keep a look out for CP. Whatever her reason is.

Okay back to watching. If I have time, I'll share again soon. But anyhow, another great episode!

30 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am beginning to appreciate HG in CP's life because for now she is the only one I can count on to keep a look out for CP. Whatever her reason is.

Okay back to watching. If I have time, I'll share again soon. But anyhow, another great episode!

Well, KHG is near prince because her situation, both have power...something HGE and LS don't. if she were powerless I doubt she will be near as of now.

I was thinking she will be a fan, like we are from YSH/KSH...just stalking from afar, very faaaaaar.

giphy.gif

YSH is one very very marvelous actor! I watched the subbed ep at 5am (PHL) and it was so fast paced and thrilling, I didn't notice how time flew by. I'm so glad I watched Ep 1.

After last episode, 

*HGE - I hope, at the very least, she knows that CP didnt really cause her father's death. I want more KSH!

*Queen - I thought she was at least loyal to the King, but it seems she resented the King's relationship with Royal Consort. And ended up siding with DM.

*CP - my favorite scene was his confrontation with DM. I look forward to next episodes how his road to being King turns out. And how he'll topple DM.

*HG - how long can she keep CP safe? (*I'm still kinda annoyed how Yoon SoHee is portraying this role. Or is it how she was directed how to act? Why does HG sound chirppy? HG has a great potential as a story arc. I sometimes wish KSH was portraying it, which would give more justice to thia role)

*LS/YS - now that DM knows that he is just a replacement CP, it would be so much easier for DM to control him. I hope he'll later on still be CP's ally when CP returns to fight the Pyunsoo.

0000964964_001_20170518231019730.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-17%2Bat%2B11.29.07%2BPM.png

tv Report via Naver: 'Ruler', Heo Jun Ho sees Yoo Seung Ho's face... Kim Myung Soo assassinated 

1. [+1,596, -49] Everyone's daebak at acting.. 1 hour went too fast..Bring on the next episode ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ

2. [+1,440, -39] The prince is too pitiful. The king and queen are dead. The prince and Ga Eun too, Pyunsoohwe is causing them misery

3. [+1,152, -41] Brilliant acting

4. [+908, -38] Everyone's getting killed. Writer...

5. [+405, -17] I freaked out when he ran out and screamed "father"

6. [+434, -32] Wow L's acting is spot on during the torture scene. Everyone's acting is really good

7. [+356, -13] Why did the prince wear a mask until now

8. [+309, -7] The reason why the king made the prince wear a mask is because the only people who know the prince's face are his parents and their allies but they died and Daemok finds out. Daemok will turn L into a puppet king and take control of the country. It's the author's intention behind for making the prince wear a mask

0002615525_001_20170519065613948.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-18%2Bat%2B9.19.39%2BPM.png

Naver tv cast: L suspected as a Pyunsoohwe, tortured 

1. [+503, -4] I didn't imagine L's acting would be so good. I hope he works his way up even more through this drama

2. [+484, -4] I heard he was rushed to the emergency when he shot this scene ㅠㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅠ I can see why. He worked hard

3. [+430, -2] From the preview, I thought this was gonna be a bath scene... I got all excited. Sorry Myungsoo-ya

4. [+347, -3] Ah.. our Myungsoo ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Good job with the acting ㅜㅜㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

5. [+317, 0] Wow... he's a good actor

6. [+315, -2] His acting is daebak. I'm honestly surprised

http://kkul-jaem.blogspot.mx/2017/05/spoilers-ruler.html

Why do most of you think that the queen will betray the King and CP? Is it because it was shown that she was talking to one of the officials? 

1 hour ago, KimJongKookie said:

Ep 7 & 8
The CP surprised me a lot during that meeting with DM! If he ever does become King I'd hate to be his enemy. Also the Kings plan failed (pretend shock), but I'm most interested to see what's going on in the Queens head. Something told me she was being a little too quiet and blending into the background during those early episodes. I fully expect her to be as bad if not worse than DM's group. 

54 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Next, the most important reason I think, it is because of the Queen. Yeah, the Queen is on DM's side. Notice an official meeting her and urged her to make a decision. So she was the one who made it possible for DM to attack into the palace and kill the King. Consort I believe was poisoned by her too, the same as baby CP during his first bath 

22 minutes ago, wackeemarie said:

*Queen - I thought she was at least loyal to the King, but it seems she resented the King's relationship with Royal Consort. And ended up siding with DM.

And @wackeemarie why do you think that the queen resented the King's relationship with the consort? From what i've seen from the earlier episodes, though they are not close confidante/buddy buddy with each other, at least the queen is amicable, if not, is civil with the consort. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was the scene wherein the two (Queen & the consort) are talking about the CP's bethrothal. Though I'm wondering why is the queen not included in the plan that is the king is making. And why is she not that worried about the CP's fate unlike that of the consort. 

Anyhow, @enigmatic_zephy why do you think LS/LY is not loyal to CP? I think one of the factors that would make him change(go to other side) is because he thought that the only ally/friend/support (CP) he had in the palace is dead. Maybe he just lose all hope and that's where DM enters and tries to lure him. 

And little by little i think i'm softening up with HG (though honestly speaking i can't seem to connect with yoo son hee's acting). Anyway, i found her character interesting. She doesn't seem like the typical  female villain wherein she would do everything/anything to get the male lead. She is considerate with the CP's feelings and does pity him. And so far, all the thing she does is to aid the CP. I can see her resemblance with Lee Se Ryung of The Princess Man (my all time favorite saeguk) in the se ryung defies her father and tries to save her loved one. BUT only on that part, because as much SR tries to save SY, she atleast condones his father evil doings unlike HG. 

acting aside, while I find HG's character to be interesting, I find it very hard to sympathize with her. She has complete lack of regard for other's lives. She didn't care that peasant Lee Sun's father was going to get his hands cut off and got him killed just so that she can see the CP. And I also don't understand why she's going so far for the CP and obsessed with him after meeting him for literally a minute... 

27 minutes ago, RanM said:

Why do most of you think that the queen will betray the King and CP? Is it because it was shown that she was talking to one of the officials? 

And @wackeemarie why do you think that the queen resented the King's relationship with the consort? From what i've seen from the earlier episodes, though they are not close confidante/buddy buddy with each other, at least the queen is amicable, if not, is civil with the consort. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think it was the scene wherein the two (Queen & the consort) are talking about the CP's bethrothal. Though I'm wondering why is the queen not included in the plan that is the king is making. And why is she not that worried about the CP's fate unlike that of the consort. 

Anyhow, @enigmatic_zephy why do you think LS/LY is not loyal to CP? I think one of the factors that would make him change(go to other side) is because he thought that the only ally/friend/support (CP) he had in the palace is dead. Maybe he just lose all hope and that's where DM enters and tries to lure him.

Have you watched MLSHR? Anyhow, I believe any consort, once her son is ascended as King, will be promoted to Queen Mother (someone CMIIW). I'm sure she somehow felt threatened by that. In any period dramas I've seen, all the wives will be fighting to have their son be the next in line CP, I think her included. Not many woman is graceful enough to welcome other woman's child. Still just a guess, but we'll find out soon. Next week. I guess that's not soon enough? When will Wednesday come again? Arrgh, the wait....

Yup, KHG character is really interesting... I hope Yoon So Hee can overcome the burden to carry such well written character in next episodes...  Please rise Yoon So Hee... 

But right now ... This is exactly what in my thought

Credit : comments from kkuljaem

23 minutes ago, ilwoo_aein said:

Park Chul Min IG update with RMOM team

hhhhhhhhh seeing this made "oh, the guard is still safe and sound by my CP's side, I'm happy :D" and had to remind myself this is a BTS update not that the CP is certanly filming a happy scene!! :tongue: 

4May 19, 2017

Ruler–Master of the Mask: Episodes 5-6

by hanshimi

RulerMask03-07629.jpg

As our villains step up to remind the king of his place, our prince finally learns the truth about his past. When it turns out that the king’s throne is nothing more than a decorative chair, however, Prince Sun is forced to make a choice: obey the villains like his father, or defy them and fight for a better future. But when his attempt to fix things only seems to make things worse, is Sun prepared to be more than just a mask?

EPISODE 5 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/ruler-master-of-the-mask-episodes-5-6/

13 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I see that no guards were present when Pyungsoo group attacked the palace. Only Chief in Commander and CW were there to fight, alongside the King and CP (who should need not fight if the royal guards were present). Commander is hurt.

Honestly, when I watched that attack scene, I got upset at seeing how empty the palace is. No guard at all.  And this came to my mind:

Seems all guard were loyal to DM and he pulled them back...or was it from other place?

8 hours ago, RanM said:

And how did DM found out that the CP in front of him is not the real CP. He confront the king in trying lying to him prior the real CP's entrance, right? Our is our villain is just really smart? 

Real CP was at a meeting with him...he saw him before, not face but eyes and attitude...and that guy who came to initiation was scared and different..don't know was it enough for DM but would be for me...we know that even if DM is evil he's not stupid or he won't be as powerful as he is

5 hours ago, KimJongKookie said:

Ep 7 & 8

I loved that scene the most last night :wub:

As for the queen..so far she seemed to be for CP...but now after king and CP's mother death we'll see her true face

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Watching subbed now, but will come back for more comments. For now, I just want to share my take about why the palace was so quiet and no guards around as some of you commented. One reason being, a lot of the royal guards had been arrowed dead in front of the cave. Next, the most important reason I think, it is because of the Queen. Yeah, the Queen is on DM's side. Notice an official meeting her and urged her to make a decision. So she was the one who made it possible for DM to attack into the palace and kill the King. Consort I believe was poisoned by her too, the same as baby CP during his first bath.

Sad, but its possible she's bad as that :o...just as @KimJongKookie expect

3 hours ago, RanM said:

I am curious what was she had to decide quick on...

1 hour ago, Berou said:

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Ruler: Master of the Mask" Episodes 7-8

What caught my attention is William  Schwartz's opinion about KHG. Villains ( or second female leads) are supposed to be hated not to be loved lol. I also find Yoon So He's character interesting ^^.

" Hwa-goon. She remains my favorite character in "Ruler: Master of the Mask". It's telling that my first particularly negative reaction to the drama is in the context of episodes where Hwa-goon does not play a major role. It's really just a matter of how so far, Hwa-goon is the only character smart enough to have a conversation with Dae-mok that doesn't result in one or both of them becoming furiously angry. Dae-mok has proven himself to be a capable enough adversary that the gimmicks we've been seeing just aren't going to cut it." 

source

While I have to bitterly agree with Schwartz's reivew of what the writers have assigned and created for Ga Eun and Prince Sun so far, I strongly disagree with his opinion (not his preference) of Hwa Gun as a character. In my view, the reviewer is making Hwa Gun out to be more intelligent/ smarter than she actually is. We must remember that she is the granddaughter of DM and also his favourite due to the ruthless streak that she inherited from him, which sets her as completely different from her cowardly and incompetent father. We've got a scene in ep 5/6 where she pesters her father into making the royal marriage between her and Prince Gun happen. In that scene she said she would make her father even more powerful than grandpa is, and her father says her grandpa likes that trait the most about her. I'm not downplaying her wit or suggesting that she's by any means not smart. What I'm trying to say is the reason why DM isn't angry with her (yet) is also partly because he clearly favours her and so far he hasn't been aware of her impulsive actions that she took behind his back. But we're allowed to see the increasingly widening rift between her and her grandfather, and sooner or later the conflict between them will hit breaking point. By then DM would be as furiously angry (and also disappointed by) at HG as he has been at the CP, or has done to Woo Bo or the King.

In the drama's setting, HG has so far been acting on impulse as much as Prince Sun and Ga Eun, and her actions were all driven by her love for the prince. The reason why grandfather hasn't been suspicious of her is because he still can detect that ruthless trait in her, and that the human side to her hasn't completely taken over. Her 'machinations' were just a fluke: although she made a plea to Gon not to reveal the CP's real identity, it's just a matter of coincidence that he found himself in a situation where he had no choice but to do so, because she was not aware of the CP's plan to switch place with Lee Sun. I would hold her in higher regards if she has known of the plan all along. Plus, her reasoning with her grandfather didn't help one bit. Although she reasons to him that keeping the CP alive is a wise course of action to take, he doesn't take her words to heart because he still proceeds to kill the CP as the end of ep 8 reveals, which only proves that she's not smart enough to manipulate her grandfather - yet. Hwa Gun is smart, but I don't think she is that smart that the CP's life and the success of his plan depends solely on her wit. She's just luckier because she happens to be DM's pet and born into his family. Put them all in a levelled playing field where no one has any advantage over the other, and if in such cases HG still manages to counter DM's plan and save the CP and his plan I will go all out and hail her as the ultimate thinker of the story.

Archived