[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017] Princess Agents 特工皇妃楚乔传

sugarplum892

On 8/6/2017 at 8:22 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I wrote this because I had to. Because there was a voice in my head that said that if I didn't, I couldn't move on from PA. It was for me more than anything else. I needed closure and so this fanfic was born... It'a tribute to the character of YWY that I unexpectedly fell in love with and wanted him to have his heart's desire.

This is what I imagine would have happened or should have happened if the story of Chu Qiao and the man who truly loved her had been allowed to play out after the icy lake incident. 

I didn't mean for it to be this long. But it just got longer and longer and longer all because I can never resist a bit of angst.

Princess Agents: Post-Mortem

Reveal hidden contents

The tall, handsome figure lying limply on the rocky outcrop let loose a groan from his bloodstained lips as he felt a dull ache shooting through his abdomen, and practically all of his upper body. He struggled first to move his right leg. Unsuccessful, he went for his left. After numerous failed attempts he concluded that it would have been easier moving a hundred lead rods. Clearly he had lost control of his entire body. For the first time for as long as he could remember his body was obstinately refusing to respond to his directives. The young master of Qing Shan Yuan, commander of armies and master of spies had lost all mastery of his own body.

Surveying his environs seemed a viable alternative, as he was almost certain that the use of his eyes would be available to him though he be incapacitated elsewhere. Alas that avenue too was closed to him. All he saw when he was able to open them was pitch-black darkness.

In this state of immobility he made attempts to remember what it was that led to his present predicament. He knew who he was, of course and he recalled with perfect clarity his final moments before losing consciousness. Facing off with a neverending onslaught of Yanbei troops, while being mercilessly pinned down by arrows shot from afar presumably directed by Yan Xun.  Moments later he had collapsed on the ice from sheer exhaustion and the loss of blood but  barely noticing the cold. Soon he could feel the sensation of icy cold water seeping into his clothes and onto his skin.

He had been seriously outnumbered in a wonderfully laid ambush… beautiful in its execution. He could have scarcely done better himself. Yan Xun, unshackled by conscience or love, was finally unleashing his true intentions. Old friendships meant nothing now. A welcoming committee of soldiers determined to strike him down was the only gift for an old friend who was trespassing. The young master had fallen into his trap and could only fight on. Death, he had believed would come to him soon but while there was still breath in him, he would fight to the bitter end.

Just when all seemed hopeless, unexpected aid came in the form of  Xing’er flying through the lake showing her mastery over the bow and arrow, shouting his name.

Xing’er! His entire body stiffened at the thought of her. Immediately he became more alert. His last recollection of her was of him pushing her towards the surface of the water as he sank to the bottom. The scar on her back was undergoing a transformation at the time, undoubtedly a reaction to the cold water. Previously he had only heard tales and rumours about the immense power of the Feng Yun Ling but never had the privilege of seeing it executed first hand.

His first instinct was to get up and search for her but his body was adamantly refusing to cooperate. His feeble attempts to lift his body only saw him fall back on the hard surface that had been his resting place. Expletives rarely found their way to his lips but this time he allowed himself the luxury of a few choice words about his own incompetence and her inability to stay out of trouble. Heaven forbid that she would do what she was told for a change. However, if she had, it was unlikely that he would be alive pondering over his present quandary.

She came for me. The very idea filled him with unexpected warmth and gave him (if he were honest) immense pleasure despite the onslaught of pain he was experiencing. Being injured and half dead evidently had its perks. It gave him a certainty that he never dared to hope to have. Running to his side… promising to stay by his side and fighting along side him. He had directed her to leave him to his fate but she stubbornly refused, holding on to him and weeping in front of him.

He had been ready to let go but seeing her and hearing the sadness in her voice, he had to oblige. He could never bear to see her hurt and sad.

But where was she now? She would not have rescued him only to leave him to his own devices. Somewhere along his train of thought about her, him, them and the long road they had taken, it occurred to him that she could be in trouble and he wasn’t there to protect her.

This made him resolute. Even if it killed him, he would muster what strength he had left to track her down. If Heaven was determined that he should live, then he would do whatever it took to protect her from all ills.

A familiar voice pierced through the darkness and reached his ears like the sting of arrows that had immobilized him. “Yuwen Yue! What do you think you are doing? Lie down and stay down!”

Those utterances were accompanied by the sound of falling branches onto the ground.

“That would be my question to you! What are you doing?” He was relieved. Even though she wasn’t where he could see her, she could be heard and was close.

“I’m not the one who got shot by arrows, am I? Somebody has to go looking for food or we’ll both starve. Otherwise all of my efforts at pulling you out of that lake would have been wasted.”

“If you find me such a burden then you should have just let me die.”

Fear for each other’s welfare saw them both reverting to their old easy banter. But she was too concerned to keep the game going.

“Yuwen Yue. Are you going to do this all night? Even after what I promised you?” Her raw indignance rang out clearly.

“I’ve become too used to you leaving.” He felt obliged to point out defensively.

“Well, I’m not leaving ever again. You’re stuck with me whether you like it or not,” was the matter-of-fact response.

It was too dark to make out the expression on her face but he could hear the calmness in her voice and feel the deft movement of her fingers massaging his sore spots with surprising effectiveness.

He managed a feeble rejoinder. “You make it sound like a chore.”

“Well, if you keep this up, you will be a chore. Now listen and lie down. You need to rest. There’s plenty of time to talk later.”

She had placed a sheet over him and pulled it up to his shoulders with quiet efficiency.

“Xing’er, I…” He took her hand into his and squeezed it with as much urgency as he could manage under such circumstances.

“It’s fine. I know. Just sleep. I’ll be here when you wake up. I’m not going anywhere.”

He closed his eyes in quiet, pleasant contemplation of those words: I’m not going anywhere. Soon, with the silence as his guide, he succumbed to his body’s need for rest and drifted off.

She did not let go of his hand and stayed by his side until she heard the change in the rhythm of his breathing.

Chu Qiao stared for the longest time at the fire while the crackling sound of burning twigs, branches and leaves provided musical accompaniment to the stream of images that occupied her mind. Dominant among them was seeing him on his knees, wounded and bleeding, telling her to leave. The Great Yuwen Yue who never once met an enemy he couldn’t defeat… had been at death’s door.

She had almost lost him.  I almost lost him.

That realization was earth-shattering in its proportions.

I can’t lose him. I can never lose him. I would rather die first.

She had put on a brave front for his benefit earlier but she’d been so afraid. Losing Yuwen Yue was unthinkable… too terrible to contemplate. She shuddered. Such an important fixture in her life, losing him would be akin to losing a part of herself.

In the past it had been easy to leave him with the knowledge that he would be keeping tabs on her in the background, watching her and secretly protecting her. She could rely on that knowledge that he would never be far away. That made the separation bearable. But as he was threatening to leave her, something inside of her broke. The fence that she had built to keep him at bay had unraveled in an instant.

Worst still… he would never know… how much I care… He would never know… how much I need him too.

With the fire she’d started as her only witness, there were new tears that came. The fear that had gripped her heart gave way to relief. A new resolution was formed.

Everything’s fine now. He’s alive and this time I will never leave his side again.

It would be days before he would wake from his slumber. In his fevered delirium he would alternate between pleading with her to stay and urging her to leave. One moment she would rush to his side holding his hand consoling and reassuring him of her presence. On other occasions more tears would come when she realized the insecurity that lingered within him. Beneath the façade of strength that was the face he showed to the world, he had been profoundly hurt. Seeing him in this state undid her. Knowing that she was the cause of so much pain, weighed on her as she sobbed miserably. He had tried to be strong for both of them, keeping it all together outwardly, letting her find freedom in her own journey… as she forged her own path. All at his expense.

Long before YX’s arrows pierced his body, she had pierced his heart and his heart had been bleeding ever since.

When she wasn’t tending his wounds or feeding him, she took to sleeping by his side, gripping his hand in those times of respite for her weariness. In these days, alone with him, she was forming new habits. Habits that would herald a new life. But first, she would have to pick up all the broken pieces one at a time.

It was the seventh day in this unknown location. Yuwen Yue opened his eyes in the daylight hours and his first sight was of her disheveled head resting on him with her hand still holding on to his. A temporary wave of happiness swept through him only to be replaced a familiar sensation of regret and bitterness.

This won’t last. Soon she’ll be off again somewhere, maybe not with Yan Xun… but somewhere living her dream… without me.

Should I take what I can get? These morsels off a rich man’s table? Is that what I’ve been reduced to?

You are such a pathetic fool, Yuwen Yue. Xiao Ce is right, you have no judgment when it comes to women.

Despite himself and all the reservations building up inside him, he couldn’t resist caressing her hair and basking in the familiar scent that once filled the rooms and courtyards of Qing Shan Yuan. If only he could return to that time and freeze it, undo all his mistakes.

Of course he was a different man then. In those days family honour was all-important and he was the successor of the Eyes of God network, the heir to the first branch of the Yuwen clan. There was so much at stake… so much that rested on his shoulders that was his to protect.

He let her go because he couldn’t protect her without compromising his obligations and at least Yan Xun would do everything in his power to keep her safe.

I’ve been paying for it ever since.

Because I couldn’t hold on to her then, I am doomed never to hold on to her again.

An involuntary sigh left his lips. All I have are these stolen moments with her.

Minutes later he felt her stir, then gradually waking to the sound of his heart beating restlessly.

Her first instinct was to check on him and saw at once his eyes boring into hers. She smiled with genuine delight. How long has it been since he saw her smile like this?

“You’re awake at last. I was wondering… if you’d ever… I was so worried… I didn’t know…” The intensity of his gaze shook her equilibrium.

“Is that so? I’ve caused you to suffer.” He spoke in a monotone, giving no indication of what he was feeling.

“No, of course not. I didn’t do that much.”

A wall of awkwardness had sprung up between them. Things weren’t exactly going the way she had expected. But Yuwen Yue always had that effect on her.

She changed tact. “I’m so glad that you’ve recovered. That last bout of fever was especially worrying but I remembered hearing about a particular herb in these woods that has medicinal value. One of the Xiuli men told me about it. I wasn’t sure if it would help with the fever but as it turns out, it did.”

“Thank you, Xing’er for staying.” Again he spoke in a dull tone that made her nervous. He was far too polite for her comfort.

“Why are you thanking me? Between us, there’s no need for these kinds of niceties. It’s what I should be doing anyway.”

“Nevertheless, thank you.” He cleared his throat and then made some effort to get up. His arms were still a little numb but he could move them. His lower limbs were much the same. He was able to do some stretches proving that he had recovered some use of his extremities.

“You sound much more like your old self.” She was surveying him critically. “But don’t be in such a hurry to get up. Rest a little more.”

“I think I’ve been resting quite enough.” He noted dryly as he sat up.

“Are you hungry? I found some nuts and berries. It’s probably not what you’re used to…”

“It’ll be fine. Some of the older medical manuscripts say that berries and oranges have the ability to expedite the healing of wounds. This will be an appropriate occasion to put that claim to the test. Besides, someone once told me that when a person is hungry, anything would do.”

“You’re definitely better.” She was pleased to hear him speak with his acerbic wit.  “That’s good.”

He cleared his throat again before saying, “I suppose you’re anxious to make contact with the Xiuli battalion. I should try and find out what’s happened to the Yue Guards as well.”

“All that can wait for when you’ve fully recovered. There’s no hurry. The Xiuli battalion is fine. It was He Xiao who helped me find this place.”

Young Master Yue observed that indeed Xing’er didn’t seem to be in a hurry to leave so he reached for the fruit that was being offered to him and silently savoured each bite. There was no denying the hunger pangs clamoring to be satiated no matter the cuisine.  

“So where are we?” Young Master Yue surveyed his surroundings as he attacked his third mouthful of berries.

“About a dozen li from the ice lake as the crow flies.”

“A very convenient hiding place. Must remember it for future reference.”

“It is naturally camouflaged by the vegetation and canopy in the area. Unless one knows of its existence, it is not immediately apparent to the casual observer.”

“Should you be telling me all this? I am the enemy after all.”

“That’s the least of my problems. Seeing that I saved the life of the enemy, I’m liable to be struck down on sight.”

“I apologize for ruining your chance of becoming the princess of Yanbei.” Young Master Yue declared with a clear sarcastic edge.

“You don’t seem very sorry about that.” She was quick to match his sarcasm on impulse, although not liking this turn in the conversation.

“Neither do you.” He shot her a quizzical look. “I have an excuse, what’s yours?”

“I couldn’t let you die.” Xing’er sensed at once she’d said something wrong when she saw his face harden instantly. It was that look he used to give her when she lied to him.

“So that’s it. You couldn’t let me die. That was all it was. I see.” His nonchalance was fast becoming a maddening posture.

She was on the defensive. “What do you want me to say, Yuwen Yue? I thought you knew my heart!”

I had so much I had planned to say. This is all coming out badly.

Tension was filling the air around them quickly. This sudden turn in the conversation had caught her unawares.

“Only too well.” The answer came swiftly and it cut her to the quick. “I don’t know why I keeping hoping for something different every time I ask the question.” He paused momentarily and averted his eyes. “It’s alright, Xing’er. You don’t owe me anything. Anyway, it’s much better to be clear about these things so there are no expectations right from the start and no more mistakes made.”

Reeling from his words, her mouth was unusually recalcitrant.

“Yuwen Yue… I…” She cautiously made her approach towards him. “It’s not like that at all.”

“I’m tired. You’re right. I need more rest. Perhaps this is a conversation for another time.” Or maybe never.

With that he settled back onto his bedding and rolled to one side with his back turned towards her.

If he had turned to look just for a single second, he would have seen the hot tears streaming down her cheeks.

“I thought you’d be pleased once he was up and about.”

“I was. I am. But he… doesn’t want to see me or talk to me.”

“Why not?”

“I’m not sure. I think… he’s lost all hope in us. He’s given up. I made him wait too long for me and now it’s too late for us.”

“Lady Chu, do you care about this man?”

“More than anything.”

“Then tell him.”

“I tried to… but… he shut me down faster than I could draw my sword. He didn’t want to hear anything I had to say. It seems like he’s given up.”

“I doubt it. The man I saw battling on the icy lake is not someone who gives up.”

“Then what is it?”

“Ask him. That’s the only way to be sure.”

The night was cool and so was Yuwen Yue. For two days he maintained his aloofness. Even over meals he would chew in silence and retire early. Chu Qiao had this sinking feeling that he was gradually slipping away from her and she had to take the bull by horns.

He had been taking a walk around the outer perimeter of their hideout for a bit of fresh air. When she came out to see him, he was staring at the night sky pensively and she wondered what was occupying his thoughts.

She carefully put a robe over him. “It’s cold. You shouldn’t be out here at this time of night in your condition.”

“I’m fine, Xing’er. Really. I am much better.”

“I’m glad to hear it but you must still take care. And I am responsible for your care now.”

She felt like she was walking on eggshells but at least they were talking.

“I will leave as soon as I can. I must get in touch with my people. Things are looking rather precarious right now. Yan Xun is undoubtedly headed for Chang’an.”

“Leave? What do you mean ‘leave’?”

“Depending on how I feel, I must set off in a day or two.”

“You can’t.”

“Why?”

“Not without me, at least. I said to you before we both went tumbling into the water that I was never leaving your side again.”

The young master sighed, “Please stop this, Xing’er. This silly game that we keep playing. You run I chase. I run, you chase. It’s beyond absurd. You’ve made your choice and I’ve been a burden to you long enough.”

This time she was ready with an answer. “You stop it, Yuwen Yue. Let’s get this straight. You’ve never been a burden to me and I choose to go with you. Just as I chose to go into the water after you.”

“Xing’er…”

“Let me finish. I’ve made many mistakes in my life and many more after I left Qing Shan Yuan. But falling in love with you is not one of them. “

“Xing’er…” There was hesitation, uncertainty in his eyes but the icy cloak of indifference had fallen off.

“I’m telling you I love you, you idiotic man.”

“I know.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

He did not respond immediately instead he turned to look at the night sky.

It was she who broke the silence between them. “You’ve given up, haven’t you? On us… on me…”

For the first time in her life, Chu Qiao was truly afraid. Even while facing wolves and arrows, she had been defiant in the face of certain death. But this uncertainty between her and Yuwen Yue was killing her inside.

“Perhaps. Perhaps it’s just that I don’t look forward to you leaving again at some point in the future.”

The sadness with which he made that statement caused something inside her to snap. As he turned to head back to the hideout, she slipped her arms round his waist to halt his departure.

Burying her face in his back, her words were muffled but they were unmistakable. “I know I deserve this. And Heaven only knows I don’t deserve to ask for another chance. But I promise I will never leave you again. I need you too, Yuwen Yue. More than anything. Please let me stay by your side.”

For the longest time they both stood that place in silence, waiting and longing for the other. Fearful and hopeful, she was clinging to him for dear life, thankful that he hadn’t stopped loving her, thankful that it wasn’t too late.

He wanted to believe her… to believe in her change of her heart. But he had to be sure. He grabbed her wrists and swung around to face her honestly. They both, he decided, deserved that much.

“Xing’er… are you sure?” He asked as he searched her eyes.

She nodded eagerly as her tear-soaked eyes pleaded with him. “I have never been more sure of anything.”

Yuwen Yue could feel his heart beating furiously. For the first time in a long time he allowed himself to hope but the fear of being disappointed held him back from doing what he really wanted to at that moment. Instead he said,

“What about your dream? Your need to be free? Aren’t you afraid I’d hold you back?”

“I haven’t given up on those things.” She sniffed meekly. “But without you to share them with… all of it would be meaningless.”

“What about Yan Xun? Didn’t you want to share them with him?”

Chu Qiao took her time to wipe her tears before answering knowing that what she said here would make or break their relationship. At least, she thought thankfully, she had a captive audience.

“You were right about him. He had changed and I realized that maybe I didn’t really know what he wanted. He and I… I thought we shared the same ideals. Maybe we did at one time. But I assumed too much. We spoke using the same words but meant different things.  I knew he cared about me and I thought I could help him get back his home… be free from Wei. To me... we were two homeless people thrown together by circumstances. He had lost his family… I didn’t really have any. It made sense that we were fellow travellers on the same road…”

“I know. I understood all that.”

“I… I don’t know if I loved him. Maybe I did. He was really good to me. He even gave up his finger for me.” The tears returned. “He protected me when…”

He stroked her cheeks with his thumb to wipe her tears. “It’s fine, Xing’er. I have never taken issue with that. I was glad for you and for him. For a while it was enough that you were both alive.”

“That’s what I really… loved… about… you. I wish I had realized… sooner…  everything… I hope that it’s not too late… for us.”

Despite acting cool, Yuwen Yue was at war with himself. Every fibre of his being was urging… pulling him… to act on his feelings.

Be careful there… Yuwen Yue… You don’t want to let yourself be a fool yet again. Just because she jumped into the water after you doesn’t mean…

Did it matter? It was Xing’er. He would love her until the day he died. He would be a fool for her no matter what she did or didn’t do.

“I know you don’t trust me right now. I don’t blame you. I just wish I could prove to you that this isn’t a flash in the pan or pity or whatever it is that’s making you think I’m not sincere. As long as I know that you still love me, I will live in hope that you can forgive me.”

“I will always love you.” He blurted painfully in spite of his resolve. That’s the tragedy of my life.

What she did next broke him at his core… all his restraints, his misgivings, his pretence at being indifferent. The walls came crashing down in an instant and he was summarily defeated.

Standing on her toes, she reached to swing her arms over and around his neck, planting a kiss on his lips before saying,

“I will always love you too, Yuwen Yue, my first and best love. Thank you for waiting for me. I will do my best to regain your trust and be worthy of your love.”

Before she could extricate herself from his person, his lips fell on hers with none of the reserve the last time their lips met in this way. For a man who had been wandering in a desert starving and thirsty he had found his oasis. Taking sips was not in his vocabulary. While their lips met in a hundred ways and their tears mixed together in a hundred more, he died a thousand deaths drowning in all the emotions he had craved for so long.

For the first time in his life, Young Master Yue lost his mind completely, and he was in no hurry to find it.

He came up for air when he felt her petite frame shaking like a leaf. He thought it was the cold. He slipped off his outer rob to shield her but she shook her head. She didn’t need anything else when she had him holding her so tightly in his arms.

Her eyes were sparkling like the stars in the night sky above, shining with indescribable happiness.

She was truly his Xing’er now.

“Xing’er, we are such fools, you and I.”

“Then let us be fools together.”

He needed no other invitation.

The last missing piece...Thank you @40somethingahjumma and @rampantwolfhound thank you for this wonderful gift...It made me go to places I never knew...I am now at peace...Pen is really mightier than sword - Jose Rizal

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Florina Culincu said:

I really can't explain it, i have seen many dramas:chinese,korean, thai,taiwanese,HK but only PA and couple  YWY /CQ (LGX /ZLY )made me feel at lost as well as anguished.It's been a couple of days since it ended but i still linger on.

You're not the only one :(. It's been a week and I still cannot get over this drama and our couple, to the point that I don't even want to see any other series. All my free time now is spent on reading fanfics about our OTP and news about PA2 (I still haven't given up hope about PA2 :tongue:).

• Like 5

Freakin PA producers should learn from some British TV shows like Sherlock! Sherlock "dies" in season 2 but returns In season 3. Fans waited for 2 years! The heck, I'm willing wait and I know many are too! Lock down the cast now! *smh This ending still richard simmons me off. There is no such thing as closure for this ending and casting completely new faces don't make sense. We can't picture someone else take these roles. If anything this is damaging to any person who gets casted. 

If not a new PA drama make a freakin MOVIE! Since LGX seems to prefer movies and ZLY is stepping into film roles anyway, do a PA film! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Nina Bina said:

Freakin PA producers should learn from some British TV shows like Sherlock! Sherlock "dies" in season 2 but returns In season 3. Fans waited for 2 years! The heck, I'm willing wait and I know many are too! Lock down the cast now! *smh This ending still richard simmons me off. There is no such thing as closure for this ending and casting completely new faces don't make sense. We can't picture someone else take these roles. If anything this is damaging to any person who gets casted. 

If not a new PA drama make a freakin MOVIE! Since LGX seems to prefer movies and ZLY is stepping into film roles anyway, do a PA film! 

Couldn't agree more with you on that. Sherlock is a perfect example, because I literally waited that long, too for season 2 and season 4. To make it easier and fitting to everyone's schedule make a movie and give us a good ending to PA. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Florina Culincu said:

I really can't explain it, i have seen many dramas:chinese,korean, thai,taiwanese,HK but only PA and couple  YWY /CQ (LGX /ZLY )made me feel at lost as well as anguished.It's been a couple of days since it ended but i still linger on.

same i keep on replaying their scene at Green Hills lol 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bella-Chimura said:

@rampantwolfhound just a random request. Can u write about "what happen if YWY lost his memories and don't recognize XE anymore".  Can't get enough of your fanfic:tongue:

I can't promise anything, but I'll let the idea kick around in my head for a few days and see where it takes me. At the moment, I only have a few ideas for concluding the pregnancy arc, and then...we'll see. I'd either set it as, essentially, the beginning of Season 2 in my current Green Hills AU world or I'd do a canon divergence, probably from the icy lake. (That would have a nice bit of symmetry, after all, with her regaining her memories and him losing his--and, of course, with her finally expressing her love for him while he loses the ability to express his.) Anyway, thanks for the request; I'll see what I can do.

Today's story came about after I decided to Google search for Chinese birthing traditions. The idea of Xing'er actually being able to handle many of the customs had me cackling because I just knew that she'd completely disregard most of these traditions and that some people would be bothered by that. I tried to figure out whether Yuwen Yue, as a man of his time, would insist on her abiding by these traditions, but I decided to come down on the side of established characterization rather than cultural customs. I allowed Yuwen Yue himself to defend his position (and his Xing'er, of course). I should probably add a disclaimer that I'm an American who's largely ignorant of such traditions, and that I am, of course, interpreting them through a 21st century lens.

Yuwen Yue loved his grandfather and did the best that he could to maintain a good relationship with him. He’d tried his hardest to make Green Hills a place where his grandfather felt at home, but the truth was that his marriage to Xing’er had changed things to a degree that his grandfather simply wasn’t comfortable with. Yuwen Yue knew that his grandfather didn’t like Xing’er and was always waiting for her to betray him just as the maid he’d fallen in love with all those years ago had done to him.

So his grandfather kept to the shadows, preferring to spend his time either in his own rooms or the secret spy lair of the Eyes of God. He knew that Xing’er had no real love for his grandfather, but he recognized that his normally outspoken wife always did her best to be polite to his grandfather even when he was somewhat rude to her. Yuwen Yue had, of course, properly thanked his wife the first time she’d managed to hold her tongue around his grandfather.

One of the things that bothered his grandfather most about Xing’er was her almost complete disregard for tradition and rules. Yuwen Yue knew that his wife assigned little value to superstitions and customs that didn’t make any sense to her. In fact, she’d discarded most of the pregnancy tips that the various physicians and midwives had given her since most of them involved sitting around, being peaceful and tranquil, and not doing much of anything.

The final straw had come yesterday when one of the midwives had told Xing’er that her rebellious ways would transfer to her child if she didn’t take up more relaxing habits so close to delivery. Her reply had been both loud and descriptive, and his parrot had gleefully repeated some of her choicest phrases at random intervals for the rest of the day. Of course, his parrot had also enthusiastically repeated some of what she’d had to say to a doctor who had suggested that she sleep separately from her husband during her entire pregnancy. To Yuwen Yue’s pleasure and relief, said doctor’s advice had not been heeded.

His mouth twitched slightly as he walked towards the secret door that would take him to where his grandfather was waiting for him. He had a feeling that this wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation, and he put his mask firmly in place before he triggered the secret mechanism.

Years of training from his grandfather allowed him to keep all of his thoughts behind his mask as he walked into the chamber and greeted his grandfather with his typical affectionate courtesy. As they exchanged pleasantries, Yuwen Yue tried to hold onto the irrational idea that he might be able to soon escape the chamber without getting into yet another argument about Xing’er with his grandfather.

“So has your Cangwu parrot stopped quoting Xing’er yet?”

Yuwen Yue mentally sighed and let that sliver of hope go.

“He’s been a perfect gentleman all day.”

“Does that mean that Xing’er has actually been a lady for once?”

“Xing’er is doing well. Thank you for asking.”

“That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

“What would you have me say that I haven’t said to you already?”

“I told you that she would make an unsuitable mother for your children.”

“She’s the only woman I’ve ever considered making the mother of my children.”

“I heard Yan Xun felt the same way about her.”

“Did you also hear about the way Yan Xun died?”

“How do you know she didn’t do anything with Yan Xun beforehand?”

“Do I really have to give you the talk?”

“I just insulted your woman and you’re not even angry? Are you sure you’re even a man?”

“My wife’s current condition should answer your second question, and as for the first question, once again, what would you have me say that I haven’t said to you already?”

“I would have you tell me why you’re not insisting that Xing’er observe the same traditions and customs that our women have been observing forever.”

“Why would I do that?”

“For the good of your unborn child!”

“What evidence do you have that the things that Xinger’s been doing during her pregnancy have negatively affected our child?”

“It’s common knowledge that if women don’t do certain things during pregnancy—or if they do certain things—that the child will suffer later in life.”

“So what did your mother do to make Yuwen Xi turn out the way that he did?”

His grandfather reeled back as if slapped.

“How dare you!”

“Well, you have been insulting my wife during this entire conversation and you did question whether or not I was a man. I’m just being a real man and asking a tough question. If these techniques are so effective, then why did so many of the people that we know turn out to be so bad? Did their mothers not read enough poetry while pregnant? Did they eat the wrong food? Drink the wrong drink? Get too angry at someone?”

“Our traditions are the bedrock of our society!”

“And look at where that’s gotten us. No, I have no intention whatsoever of forcing Xing’er to observe traditions that cut so strongly against the grain of who she is. I won’t make my wife suffer on the off-chance that something she does during pregnancy might be able to have a greater effect on our child’s life than our actual guidance of the child later.”

“Those traditions are in place to help the wife as much as the child. Do you really have so little regard for Xing’er’s health?”

“Nothing matters more to me than Xing’er’s well-being, Grandfather. Nothing. As long as I’ve known her, I’ve done my best to equip her to survive in this world. When I was at the front, I spent some time in small villages and learned more about life than could be found here at Green Hills. I heard women giving birth, heard stories from others, and heard the sobs of men who’d lost their wives in childbirth. When I learned that Xing’er was pregnant, I vowed that I’d do everything I could to help her stay strong and happy. So I kept training her, kept loving her, kept freeing her. I don’t regret a bit of it.”

“So you know better than generations of conventional wisdom?”

“The results speak for themselves, do they not? I’ve never seen Xing’er look more radiant or beautiful. She’s clearly healthy, strong, and as ready to bring a new life into the world as she can be. For all that childbirth is often presented as a beautiful and natural process, I know the truth: My wife is going into battle, and I stand by my decision to do my best to equip her for war.”

His grandfather snorted in derision.

“Next you’ll be saying something ridiculous like that you’ll actually be present when she gives birth.”

“Of course I will,” Yuwen Yue said without missing a beat.

“What?!”

Yuwen Yue calmly reflected that he’d never seen his grandfather turn that particular shade of purple before.

“Xing’er has no female relatives who are able to be here for her at this time. They’re all either dead or unable to be here, so I’m all she has. She wants me to be there for her; I want to be there for her. Nothing else matters to me. Nothing else ever has.”

“But it’s just not done.”

“Why not?”

“What do you mean ‘Why not?’”

“I mean...why not? Why is it never done? I can understand the general desire for female companionship over male companionship at such a time, but my wife doesn’t have that option and has already told me that she wants me to be there. I can understand that some men might be scared of or disgusted by the birthing process, but I’ve already seen far worse and would just be anxious the whole time anyway if I were somewhere else. Some men might not want to face the possibility of losing their wives, but I...we’ve already faced death, she and I, and I can do no less for her than she’s willing to do for me.”

His grandfather sighed in resignation.

“So I take it she won’t be sitting the month?”

Yuwen Yue smothered a grin with his hand.

“I’ll be lucky if I can get her to sit a week—or even a day.”

“Unruly, rebellious, selfish, reckless--”

“Resilient, capable, beautiful, strong.”

His grandfather sat sullenly silent.

“Xing’er values freedom and the ability to protect the ones she loves most of all; I won’t ask her to give up either. If she wants to rest in isolation for a month—or even a year—after giving birth, then she can. But given how quickly she’s recovered from far worse traumas, I wouldn’t hold your breath. And no, I won’t insist that she stay isolated from our child, either. Denying our love for each other did far more harm than good; I don’t see the value of denying our love for our child.”

“Speaking of denying your love for one another...” his grandfather said smugly.

“Yes, I know,” Yuwen Yue said calmly. “That’s one thing the doctors were emphatic about, and Xing’er and I agree that it makes sense.”

“If you’d have married another woman--”

“Then I’d still be spending my nights at Xing’er’s side helping her through this time.”

“Will you really be able to stand it? Many men could not.”

Yuwen Yue was silent for a couple of moments.

“I waited for her to return my love for so long with little hope that she ever would; what’s a matter of weeks in comparison? To have Xing’er in my bed, even just to hold, is not something I could ever regret. Besides, she’s the one who’s carried our child inside of her for 9 months and will soon bring it into the world through a long and painful process. The least I can do is to handle a few weeks of self-denial.”

His grandfather shook his head but ultimately allowed a small smile to briefly twitch his lips.

“I can’t say that I understand you, Yue’er, but I do honestly wish you and Xing’er good fortune.”

“Thank you, grandfather,” Yuwen Yue said, clasping his hands and bowing. “I will leave first.”

He walked back through the rotating door and was instantly greeted with the sound of his wife complaining about something or other. Not that he could blame her; were he within a week of giving birth, he’d probably be complaining, too. He also knew that she was upset that her beloved Xiuli armor no longer fit and that she had to wear the maternity robes he’d had made for her.

She heard him approaching and turned around, stopping mid-rant and smiling at him. He smiled back and led her over to their bed, getting into it first and leaning back in invitation. Without a word, she got into the bed and settled between his legs, leaning back against him gratefully and closing her eyes. He wound his arms around her middle, rested his head on top of hers, and closed his own eyes, reflecting that he couldn’t imagine how life could possibly be better.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, litia said:

You're not the only one :(. It's been a week and I still cannot get over this drama and our couple, to the point that I don't even want to see any other series. All my free time now is spent on reading fanfics about our OTP and news about PA2 (I still haven't given up hope about PA2 :tongue:).

I am the same Litia, all dramas seem bland and don't give me any feeling I tried Love lost in time because i like WC but it left me as a stone then i watched the Eternal Love  but still didn't get anything besides some laughs from the leads acting, there was no angst i couldn't relate to it like with the PA leads.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Florina Culincu said:

I want to thank you all for being supportive and still in deep love for this drama, guess we can call ourselves YUE XING  guard army :wub:, hopefully we will have some luck to see our favorites stars LGX & ZLY doing PA again and gives the desired Happy End

We should be called YueXing's Support Group....

• Like 4

I think the HC rumors are false :( I really wanted to see the cast together again. 

Dramas has over 44 billion views, maybe it will reach 45 by the end of the year. It is the highest viewed all time drama on iQIYI and the highest viewed this year/second all time on Tencent. These two companies always have big award ceremonies. Things are looking good for our cast they could sweep awards on both.

• Like 3

Just read news that ZLY and LGX might be back for PA2, and Angelababy is going to be CE.  I hope this is just rumours and is not be true. With the terrible script writing in the second part of PA(1), and if Angelababy is going to be in it,  ZLY and LGX should not be any part of it.  As much as I want to see YWY/XE together, I rather see ZLY/LGX collaborate in an entirely different series, not PA2.  So far, I can see the rumoured amnesia plot can be dragged out. There is also a chance for the producers to script it so that Angelababy as CE is given more screen time than XE,  The more I read about the PA2 news, the more doubts I have.  The storyline will likely be all twisted,   and ZLY/LGX due to their already packed schedule may only be making brief appearances just to draw viewers in.  Angelababy  must be very popular in China, the producers of PA seem to be adamant about casting her, if she can't be XE, let's make her CE.  I guess if Angelababy plays CE, she won't have to worry about actions scenes. But her acting skills is no match to Li Qin.  Seeing all the things that can go wrong in PA2, I much prefer that ZLY and LGX will not be part of it.  I don't want to see YWY/XE couple ruined in any way. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zlyfan said:

Just read news that ZLY and LGX might be back for PA2, and Angelababy is going to be CE.  I hope this is just rumours and is not be true. With the terrible script writing in the second part of PA(1), and if Angelababy is going to be in it,  ZLY and LGX should not be any part of it.  As much as I want to see YWY/XE together, I rather see ZLY/LGX collaborate in an entirely different series, not PA2.  So far, I can see the rumoured amnesia plot can be dragged out. There is also a chance for the producers to script it so that Angelababy as CE is given more screen time than XE,  The more I read about the PA2 news, the more doubts I have.  The storyline will likely be all twisted,   and ZLY/LGX due to their already packed schedule may only be making brief appearances just to draw viewers in.  Angelababy  must be very popular in China, the producers of PA seem to be adamant about casting her, if she can't be XE, let's make her CE.  I guess if Angelababy plays CE, she won't have to worry about actions scenes. But her acting skills is no match to Li Qin.  Seeing all the things that can go wrong in PA2, I much prefer that ZLY and LGX will not be part of it.  I don't want to see YWY/XE couple ruined in any way. 

I don;t think this is true at all. AB will not be cast as CE, why would they pay her so much just for a second lead? It doesn't add up. They are already forking their budget on ZLY and LGX, i doubt they will fork more on AB.  I also don't think AB would accept the role either, for both CE and CQ.   I don;t know who started the rumors, but nothing really adds up.  There is even rumors now that ZLY and AB will film painted skin 3. So many false rumors! i;ve seen worst productions and editing compared to Ciwen! Lots of polishing should have been done, but we still should give credit to them through their lens we were able to fall in love with YWY and XE. WIthout the production, we would have never got the opportunity to watch LGX and ZLY paired up, it so rare for them to cross path, and they did lol.  HUmm i wonder who thought of LGX name when prepping the casting call lol.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, rampantwolfhound said:

I can't promise anything, but I'll let the idea kick around in my head for a few days and see where it takes me. At the moment, I only have a few ideas for concluding the pregnancy arc, and then...we'll see. I'd either set it as, essentially, the beginning of Season 2 in my current Green Hills AU world or I'd do a canon divergence, probably from the icy lake. (That would have a nice bit of symmetry, after all, with her regaining her memories and him losing his--and, of course, with her finally expressing her love for him while he loses the ability to express his.) Anyway, thanks for the request; I'll see what I can do.

Today's story came about after I decided to Google search for Chinese birthing traditions. The idea of Xing'er actually being able to handle many of the customs had me cackling because I just knew that she'd completely disregard most of these traditions and that some people would be bothered by that. I tried to figure out whether Yuwen Yue, as a man of his time, would insist on her abiding by these traditions, but I decided to come down on the side of established characterization rather than cultural customs. I allowed Yuwen Yue himself to defend his position (and his Xing'er, of course). I should probably add a disclaimer that I'm an American who's largely ignorant of such traditions, and that I am, of course, interpreting them through a 21st century lens.

Yuwen Yue loved his grandfather and did the best that he could to maintain a good relationship with him. He’d tried his hardest to make Green Hills a place where his grandfather felt at home, but the truth was that his marriage to Xing’er had changed things to a degree that his grandfather simply wasn’t comfortable with. Yuwen Yue knew that his grandfather didn’t like Xing’er and was always waiting for her to betray him just as the maid he’d fallen in love with all those years ago had done to him.

So his grandfather kept to the shadows, preferring to spend his time either in his own rooms or the secret spy lair of the Eyes of God. He knew that Xing’er had no real love for his grandfather, but he recognized that his normally outspoken wife always did her best to be polite to his grandfather even when he was somewhat rude to her. Yuwen Yue had, of course, properly thanked his wife the first time she’d managed to hold her tongue around his grandfather.

One of the things that bothered his grandfather most about Xing’er was her almost complete disregard for tradition and rules. Yuwen Yue knew that his wife assigned little value to superstitions and customs that didn’t make any sense to her. In fact, she’d discarded most of the pregnancy tips that the various physicians and midwives had given her since most of them involved sitting around, being peaceful and tranquil, and not doing much of anything.

The final straw had come yesterday when one of the midwives had told Xing’er that her rebellious ways would transfer to her child if she didn’t take up more relaxing habits so close to delivery. Her reply had been both loud and descriptive, and his parrot had gleefully repeated some of her choicest phrases at random intervals for the rest of the day. Of course, his parrot had also enthusiastically repeated some of what she’d had to say to a doctor who had suggested that she sleep separately from her husband during her entire pregnancy. To Yuwen Yue’s pleasure and relief, said doctor’s advice had not been heeded.

His mouth twitched slightly as he walked towards the secret door that would take him to where his grandfather was waiting for him. He had a feeling that this wasn’t going to be a pleasant conversation, and he put his mask firmly in place before he triggered the secret mechanism.

Years of training from his grandfather allowed him to keep all of his thoughts behind his mask as he walked into the chamber and greeted his grandfather with his typical affectionate courtesy. As they exchanged pleasantries, Yuwen Yue tried to hold onto the irrational idea that he might be able to soon escape the chamber without getting into yet another argument about Xing’er with his grandfather.

“So has your Cangwu parrot stopped quoting Xing’er yet?”

Yuwen Yue mentally sighed and let that sliver of hope go.

“He’s been a perfect gentleman all day.”

“Does that mean that Xing’er has actually been a lady for once?”

“Xing’er is doing well. Thank you for asking.”

“That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

“What would you have me say that I haven’t said to you already?”

“I told you that she would make an unsuitable mother for your children.”

“She’s the only woman I’ve ever considered making the mother of my children.”

“I heard Yan Xun felt the same way about her.”

“Did you also hear about the way Yan Xun died?”

“How do you know she didn’t do anything with Yan Xun beforehand?”

“Do I really have to give you the talk?”

“I just insulted your woman and you’re not even angry? Are you sure you’re even a man?”

“My wife’s current condition should answer your second question, and as for the first question, once again, what would you have me say that I haven’t said to you already?”

“I would have you tell me why you’re not insisting that Xing’er observe the same traditions and customs that our women have been observing forever.”

“Why would I do that?”

“For the good of your unborn child!”

“What evidence do you have that the things that Xinger’s been doing during her pregnancy have negatively affected our child?”

“It’s common knowledge that if women don’t do certain things during pregnancy—or if they do certain things—that the child will suffer later in life.”

“So what did your mother do to make Yuwen Xi turn out the way that he did?”

His grandfather reeled back as if slapped.

“How dare you!”

“Well, you have been insulting my wife during this entire conversation and you did question whether or not I was a man. I’m just being a real man and asking a tough question. If these techniques are so effective, then why did so many of the people that we know turn out to be so bad? Did their mothers not read enough poetry while pregnant? Did they eat the wrong food? Drink the wrong drink? Get too angry at someone?”

“Our traditions are the bedrock of our society!”

“And look at where that’s gotten us. No, I have no intention whatsoever of forcing Xing’er to observe traditions that cut so strongly against the grain of who she is. I won’t make my wife suffer on the off-chance that something she does during pregnancy might be able to have a greater effect on our child’s life than our actual guidance of the child later.”

“Those traditions are in place to help the wife as much as the child. Do you really have so little regard for Xing’er’s health?”

“Nothing matters more to me than Xing’er’s well-being, Grandfather. Nothing. As long as I’ve known her, I’ve done my best to equip her to survive in this world. When I was at the front, I spent some time in small villages and learned more about life than could be found here at Green Hills. I heard women giving birth, heard stories from others, and heard the sobs of men who’d lost their wives in childbirth. When I learned that Xing’er was pregnant, I vowed that I’d do everything I could to help her stay strong and happy. So I kept training her, kept loving her, kept freeing her. I don’t regret a bit of it.”

“So you know better than generations of conventional wisdom?”

“The results speak for themselves, do they not? I’ve never seen Xing’er look more radiant or beautiful. She’s clearly healthy, strong, and as ready to bring a new life into the world as she can be. For all that childbirth is often presented as a beautiful and natural process, I know the truth: My wife is going into battle, and I stand by my decision to do my best to equip her for war.”

His grandfather snorted in derision.

“Next you’ll be saying something ridiculous like that you’ll actually be present when she gives birth.”

“Of course I will,” Yuwen Yue said without missing a beat.

“What?!”

Yuwen Yue calmly reflected that he’d never seen his grandfather turn that particular shade of purple before.

“Xing’er has no female relatives who are able to be here for her at this time. They’re all either dead or unable to be here, so I’m all she has. She wants me to be there for her; I want to be there for her. Nothing else matters to me. Nothing else ever has.”

“But it’s just not done.”

“Why not?”

“What do you mean ‘Why not?’”

“I mean...why not? Why is it never done? I can understand the general desire for female companionship over male companionship at such a time, but my wife doesn’t have that option and has already told me that she wants me to be there. I can understand that some men might be scared of or disgusted by the birthing process, but I’ve already seen far worse and would just be anxious the whole time anyway if I were somewhere else. Some men might not want to face the possibility of losing their wives, but I...we’ve already faced death, she and I, and I can do no less for her than she’s willing to do for me.”

His grandfather sighed in resignation.

“So I take it she won’t be sitting the month?”

Yuwen Yue smothered a grin with his hand.

“I’ll be lucky if I can get her to sit a week—or even a day.”

“Unruly, rebellious, selfish, reckless--”

“Resilient, capable, beautiful, strong.”

His grandfather sat sullenly silent.

“Xing’er values freedom and the ability to protect the ones she loves most of all; I won’t ask her to give up either. If she wants to rest in isolation for a month—or even a year—after giving birth, then she can. But given how quickly she’s recovered from far worse traumas, I wouldn’t hold your breath. And no, I won’t insist that she stay isolated from our child, either. Denying our love for each other did far more harm than good; I don’t see the value of denying our love for our child.”

“Speaking of denying your love for one another...” his grandfather said smugly.

“Yes, I know,” Yuwen Yue said calmly. “That’s one thing the doctors were emphatic about, and Xing’er and I agree that it makes sense.”

“If you’d have married another woman--”

“Then I’d still be spending my nights at Xing’er’s side helping her through this time.”

“Will you really be able to stand it? Many men could not.”

Yuwen Yue was silent for a couple of moments.

“I waited for her to return my love for so long with little hope that she ever would; what’s a matter of weeks in comparison? To have Xing’er in my bed, even just to hold, is not something I could ever regret. Besides, she’s the one who’s carried our child inside of her for 9 months and will soon bring it into the world through a long and painful process. The least I can do is to handle a few weeks of self-denial.”

His grandfather shook his head but ultimately allowed a small smile to briefly twitch his lips.

“I can’t say that I understand you, Yue’er, but I do honestly wish you and Xing’er good fortune.”

“Thank you, grandfather,” Yuwen Yue said, clasping his hands and bowing. “I will leave first.”

He walked back through the rotating door and was instantly greeted with the sound of his wife complaining about something or other. Not that he could blame her; were he within a week of giving birth, he’d probably be complaining, too. He also knew that she was upset that her beloved Xiuli armor no longer fit and that she had to wear the maternity robes he’d had made for her.

She heard him approaching and turned around, stopping mid-rant and smiling at him. He smiled back and led her over to their bed, getting into it first and leaning back in invitation. Without a word, she got into the bed and settled between his legs, leaning back against him gratefully and closing her eyes. He wound his arms around her middle, rested his head on top of hers, and closed his own eyes, reflecting that he couldn’t imagine how life could possibly be better.

Love it!!! You're feeding my addiction for PA! Please write more. I'm here checking this forum everyday just for your post. :D

I re-called in the Novel, there was a section where after the first son was born, he has a big mother complex. He would sleep in between YWY and XE until he's 3. Afterwards, YWY couldn't take it so he would make a deal with his son that he would have 5 days and YWY have 5 days, but then YWY doesn't keep his words so the son have to fight for it. Maybe, you can develop a story about this? It wasn't elaborated in the novel. I would love to read more about this part, though I like anything you write. :D

After she gave birth to the second child, YWY approached her and said she'll have to make it up to him (he's referring to the 6-9 months he endured his lust) and something about maybe he should take on a concubine. XE responded "You dare?" Then, YWY responded "Then, you'll have to be troubled" and carried her to bed. LOL. Its interesting to see this side of YWY after marriage. It's like all he does with XE is take her to bed. I don't think they have birth control back then because if they did, she wouldn't continuously be pregnant one after another. If the story were to continue, they probably would have more than 3 kids. 

• Like 8