What characteristics do you want for a K-drama heroine??

I came to this thought when I tried to describe Cha Ji An, the heroine of I Remember You, and why I loved her so very very much. She's strong enough to defend herself, both physically and mentally. She's smart enough to figure things out, even when Seo In Guk's Hyun refused to give her any clues. When I wrote these lines, I somehow realized that those characteristics are somewhat similar to mine, or traits that I want to have. And maybe that's why I adore her so much.

This might be resulted from having to watch countless of damsell in distress. The stupid, too much hero-dependent heroine.

What about you, chingu? What kinds of traits do you want for a K-drama heroine? Are they somehow similar to yours?

Ah, that's an awesome question! :D

My heroine would definately be like Gil Ra-Im from Secret Garden. Tough on the outside, able to kick multiple behinds at once, yet filled with love. For me, it's the scene where she finds out that Kim Joo-Won has regained his memory and she just lets her feelings go. It's that moment of weakness that shows how full of love she really is and yes, that brought me to tears. Even the second time watching it. Ofcourse that's mainly due to Ha Ji-Won who played a marvelous role, but the role itsself was just superb as well.

Haven't met my hero yet though. He's probably going to have to be rich, since that's what I'm lacking in real life lol! :D 

• 9 months later...

I would for once like my heroine to have a spine. You always think you're going to get that, but then they end up crying and unable to accomplish anything without the male lead. I would also like for them not to look the same if possible. I was into "She was Pretty" until the chick got rid of her curly hair and hid her 'blemishes' with makeup. I just couldn't even continue the drama. And can I please get a tan female lead? Just someone unique looking with an awesome personality and some grade-a independence would be freakin' nice. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I absolutely adore do bong soom from strong woman kdrama. She is legit my role model and it would be even more amazing if she existed in real life. I would love to see more characters like her.

I also do enjoy watching female leads like Han Ju ri in meloholic for romances, because it’s unconvential and I’m bored of seeing the same typical passive, innocent, inexperienced, and goody two shoes girls. It’s fine if they’re ‘poor’ or an ‘orphan’ which are common tropes I’ve noticed that writers will use for female leads, but I just hate how they put them in this ‘low’ position where they’re supposed to feel ashamed or like humbled by their background. Fine don’t make her rich or have a huge family and support system. But can she at least have other qualities that are not usually associated with women and beyond the physical aspect. Like talented, capable, ambitious, etc. don’t get me wrong I understand there are emails leads being depicted like that lately especially the last two or so years but I still feel like it’s very rare for there to be female leads comfortable with their sexuality aka sexy and assertive. I also am fascinated with ‘grey characters’ not essentially good or bad like manipulative and cleverly cunning female mcs. I hate that those features are usually linked to the second female lead cause there’s nothing wrong with them but if there wasn’t then you would let the main girl be a badass for once!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

For me to love the drama heroine, she must be an ambiguous person. Alive and present. She must have positive characteristics and bad. She may be a negative heroine, but with understandable motives. Then I will empathize with her ... ^_^

And I always love those whom I sympathize ...

I never ever want to hear a drama heroine say "I'm not very smart again." First, it's often not true, her kind of smart usually just requires hard work. And second, these shows full of prickly men who get to be geniuses and women who have to emotionally smart enough to fix them is boring. 

I want to see more Shi-won's (Reply 1997) who have their own interests, hobbies, and career goals who don't need to fix anyone.

The leading lady from Prosecutor Princess is also a great example of a complex, flawed, smart girl who is able to break through people's expectations. I usually describe Prosecutor Princess as the show where the second leads take over. Both the heroine and the hero are character types you usually get as supporting players, but here they are front and center and it's great. 

• 2 weeks later...

My ideal heroine combines opposite qualities. She is strong, but can sometimes allow herself to be fragile, she is strict and straightforward, but sometimes she is very kind and gentle-hearted. My friend from my work once said that perfect woman is controversial but harmonious.

Archived