[Drama 2016] The Royal Gambler 대박

Go Seung Ji

Baek MG and his son...he gave him money ...we are nobles after all MG said ...they are playing ...MG is a great dad ...now are well dressed ...Baek is meeting HONG MAE...wants his familly name back ... HONG MAE GAVE HIM THE BOOK ...TOLD HIM HIS NAME IS DAEGIL FROM NOW ON ...DAEGIL IS HAPPY THE BAD NEWS IS HONG MAE TOLD  THAT EVIL MAN  BAEK IS BACK AND THE BOY IS HIS SON...THE MONSTER REALIZED EVERYTHING ...HONG MAE AND HER BOYS CAME...SHE STABBED HIM BUT DAEGIL SLAPPED HER...SHE IS MAD BUT REMEMBERED THE MONSTER ORDERED NOT TO KILL DAEGIL ...THE TRIO RUNS...ARRIVED TO THE RIVER WANTS DAMSEO TO KILL DAEGIL ...SHE CAN'T DO IT...THE MONSTER ARROW HIT BAEK MG ...

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BAEK DAEGIL  ADOPTIVE DAD DIED ASKED DAEGIL NOT TO TAKE REVENGE TO LIVE WELL...DAEGIL SCREAMS HIS DAD NAME...DAD FRIEND HITS HIM DAEGIL FAINTED...BAEK MG DIES SAYING YOU ARE MY SON DAEGIL ...I'M CRYING...DAEGIL AND AJUSSI ESCAPED HONG MAE MEN

FROM THE PREVIEW :DAEGIL CAN'T JUST LIVE AS HIS DAD ASKED HIM...IS BACK FOR REVENGE...ASKED HONG MAE TO TELL HIM WHO KILLED HIS DAD..DAEGIL BROTHER  AND DAMSEO SCENE ...SHE SLAPPED HIM...WE SEE DAEGIL POINTING HIS ARROW TO SOMEBODY ...TODAY EP WAS HEARTBREAKING...

this is my first time watching a sageuk, so I might be mistaken .. but was the word "Sexy" (as it is english) really used in Joseon era ?! :huh: (from ep 3 preview I heard them saying sexy but I thought I must have heard it wrong or it might mean another thing)

I know it's a very common word in modern korea, but I don't really think english words were common in Joseon era!! :sweatingbullets: 

or maybe it's just me who's not used to sageuks so had no idea of their language tone ^_^

19 minutes ago, Seiran029 said:

I heard them saying sexy but I thought I must have heard it wrong or it might mean another thing)

I KNOW I COULD NOT BELIVE IT HE DID USED WORD SEXY MORE THAN ONCE...I REALLY LOVED TO SEE SHE WAS NOT ABLE TO KILL DAEGILL...HE MADE SUCH AN IMPACT ON HER...BEEING RUDE ,HONEST...I LIKE YOU AND YOU WILL BE MY WOMAN!YES HE WILL CHANGE...WILL BECOME A PLAYER...I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET THE NEW DAEGIL...WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH DAMSEO AND DAEGIL WHENB HE WILL KNOW HE WAS THERE THE NIGHT HIS FATHER DIED?DAEGIL LOVED HIS FATHER SO MUCH...BAEK MG PAYED FOR HIS SIN BY BEEING THE BEST FATHER ,PROTECTING AND LOVING HIM...TELLING THE TRUTH I DON'T SEE DAEGIL LOVING THE KING THE SAME!!!

'Jackpot' Jang Geun-seok loses to Yeo Jin-goo and is forced to take off his garment

Spoiler

photo709502.jpg

On the 4th episode of SBS' Monday & Tuesday drama, "Jackpot", Gaettongyi (Baek Dae-gil played by Jang Geun-seok) lost a bet to Prince Yeoning (Yeo Jin-goo).

Gaettongyi and Prince Yeoning met at Wolhyang Gazebo and had a quarrel over Dam-seo (Lim Ji-yeon). Hwang-goo Eomeom (Jeon Soo-jin) wanted to mediate the situation. She brought out a dice and said "The one who tosses lower face is the winner. And the winner will take care of my child".

Gaettongyi tossed the dice and it showed one. He showed off saying, "Didn't I tell you I was a professional gambler". Prince Yeoning crushed the dice and said, "Since it cannot show any number, I'm the winner. The rule was simple. The one with smaller number is the winner. Do not dare to speak any further and take off all of your clothes including your undergarments".

Watch on Viki

2 hours ago, Seiran029 said:

this is my first time watching a sageuk, so I might be mistaken .. but was the word "Sexy" (as it is english) really used in Joseon era ?! :huh: (from ep 3 preview I heard them saying sexy but I thought I must have heard it wrong or it might mean another thing)

I know it's a very common word in modern korea, but I don't really think english words were common in Joseon era!! :sweatingbullets: 

or maybe it's just me who's not used to sageuks so had no idea of their language tone ^_^

Saekshi (색시) is a Korean word for a young woman/wife. It does sound a lot like "sexy," but it doesn't mean "sexy." 

Finished watching raw ep 4. I dont know why lee in jwa hate the king so much ! And make choi sukbin and family suffering, also her two son separate. Looking how they flashback about lee in jwa past life, seems like the previous king burn his family house, (i think he also one of royal family).

i hope king yeong jo and dae gil will never fight each other. Because it possible lee in jwa plan them to fight. Like he make the previous queen jang ok jung fall into his evil plan.

Btw, Daegil and king yeong jo act like brother already. The way king give him 1 coin to daegil. Its look like they will helping each other next time, because lee in jwa will plan to make king yj fall.. 

I thought we dont have triangle love, but.. They made it here ! Even thought this matter was settle with dae gil and dam seo (based how dam seo act toward daegil). Yes !King yj is the one who suffer broken heart.

This ep,Lee in jwa plan to make dam seo to get close with the king. Arghh. I bet yeo jin goo will suffer one side love this time. Huhuhu..  I hope lee in jwa will not push them(king and dam seo) to be marriage, its sad to marriage with the girl who doesnt love him. 

I love both dae gil and king yeong jo. 

Lol he is already claiming her as his wifey before anyone else can :P smart thinking as it has her already somewhat attached to him not emotionally but her not wanting to kill him. At least she has a conscious and thinks it's wrong. Lol it took them awhile to find out he was back in town and the baddies get to doing their plotting and murdering :'( I feel bad for poor Gae dong as he has to live a life of a miser and stay hidden form those that wish him harm :( the brothers finally meet and the other the better gambler at this point. I wonder how his mother is going to react to the new his passing and maybe about Gae Dong? 

So we get more backstory between the king and the main Baddie, apparently the king done killed off his family so that he can be the next King. Resident baddie is the rightful king and ruling family. It makes sense he wants revenge against the king for that reason. So eye for an eye, tooth for tooth. But I still agree with killing innocent babies though :(

Waiting for next week's episodes to see how this will effect Gae Dong and if this wakes him up some.

2 hours ago, ruizaio said:

Saekshi (색시) is a Korean word for a young woman/wife. It does sound a lot like "sexy," but it doesn't mean "sexy." 

thanks so much is the first time i heard this word so he said to her :you are still my wife...the poor prince really lost the fight from the start...Daegil will change...now is just a young man...innocent and kind ...i can't wait to know the  player he will become...i am so sorry for him ...imagine the moment he will know about Damseo?That was there the night his adoptive dad died?I hope he will win what HIS ADOPTIVE FATHER LOST:his house ,his land ,name and money...

@Seiran029

" but was the word "Sexy" (as it is english) really used in Joseon era ?! "

I am afraid that there is no English word in Joseon. The word that you heard as "sexy" is actually "saek-si" (색시)

Saeksi (색시) refers to "bride" or "young maiden" as in Beak Daegil will terms as "prospective bride" although I will think that "saeksi" (색시) will have the echo word of "sexy" which be prominent choice for a konglish construction

Episode 4

During Sukjong reign there was 3 bitter purges known as Hwanguk ( 환국 or turn of state) which means a sudden change of government. It is a tussle of power between Namin & Seoin faction

Yi Ji Jwa family was involve in one of these Hwanguk ( 환국) that had them all killed

Gyeonshin Hwanguk (경신환국) or Turn of 1680 - Two leaders of Southern (namin) faction was accused of plotting to dethrone Sukjong by the Western faction (Seoin). 

Gisa Hwanguk (기사환국) or Turn of 1689 - The Western (seoin) faction fell out of power after opposing the naming of crown prince. Song Siyeol & others were executed. 

Gapsul Hwanguk (갑술환국) or Turn of 1694 - The Southern (namin) faction's attempt to purge Western (seoin) faction on charge of plotting to reinstate deposed Queen Inhyeon backfires. The Southern faction would never recover from this purge politically. However, the Westerners already split into Noron and Soron factions. 

Later Soron will side Gyeongjong while Noron with Yeongjo

Baek Mun Geum although impoverish is still from the yanban class comes from "Nampo Baek clan ( 남포 백씨,藍浦 白氏). They are from Nampo-dong, Boryeong-si in Chungcheongnam-do. The clan still exist today

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jackpot" Episode 4

photo710038.jpg

Episode 4 of "Jackpot" saw some marked improvement in structure and intrigue, but the ratings don't reflect that. It dropped below "Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho"'s 11.3% to a single-digit 9.5%. Perhaps it's the unexpected slapstick humor that threw viewers off. However what grabbed me was the sense of family scattered throughout the hour.

Dae-gil and his father and adopted grandfather are a rather silly trio. This silliness seems to be the directorial style. It's found in both Man-geum's and Dae-gil's characters and doesn't very well show off what Lee Moon-sik and Jang Geun-seok can do. These slapstick moments step aside for ones with more gravity in them, and we finally take a peek at the Jang Geun-seok we've been waiting years for. I'm glad to see him throw himself so thoroughly into a role even if I don't care for the over-exaggerated nature of the comedy.

One unrelated plot point is an observation I've wanted to make for a while. Jang Geun-seok has always been considered one of the handsomer men in Hallyu for his delicate features and long body. In this drama, he is a healthy weight and lacks the extreme muscle definition of many idols. He is, in other words, possessing and utterly normal body type. I love this. He is still sexy without the six-pack, the bulging muscles, or chiseled chest. He is still confident in skin and I respect him for defying the defined and stereotypical body type that is be prescribed by Hallyu. Especially since he was once revered for his extreme thinness.

photo710037.jpg

The circular use of gambling is just as hard to believe as it was last episode. I'd like for more heft to the plot. This also goes for the nearly omniscient In-jwa as he plods around the drama plotting revolution and coveting the throne. When he curled his fingers greedily at the throne room I nearly died laughing. I can't believe that made it to airtime. But at the same time, to fight a villain like him who manipulates relationships and politics will be, or could be, a riveting obstacle for Dae-gil and Yeoning.

Speaking of Yeoning, Yeo Jin-goo is every bit as spot on with his emotional delivery as he has been in his past work. I'm a bit skeptical of the drama, but most certainly not about how great his performance is or will be. The kid, now young man, really does have a way in front of the camera. As for Lim Ji-yeon, she is good, but I'm waiting to see more from her. Her beauty was what needed to speak this episode, and speak it did to both our leading gents.

I'm more excited for next week's episodes than I have been for the first four. Dae-gil has a catalyst to force him to change and take charge of his life. Yeoning and proven himself to be much more than the drunken womanizer he pretends to be. Let's see what the next episode brings. Hopefully a rise in ratings at least.

What do you all think of "Jackpot"? Is Jang Geun-seok living up to your expectations of his return? What about Yeo Jin-goo's first adult role?

photo710036.jpg

Written by: Raine from 'Raine's Dichotomy'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jackpot-episode-4-93157.html

5 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Baek Mun Geum although impoverish is still from the yanban class comes from "Nampo Baek clan ( 남포 백씨,藍浦 白氏). They are from Nampo-dong, Boryeong-si in Chungcheongnam-do. The clan still exist today

DAEGIL IS THE 13 GENERATION...AT LEAST THAT IS WHAT HE THINKS... IN THE END HE WILL CHOSE TO LIVE UNDER BAEK NAME FOR SURE...I THINK BOTH DAMSEO AND DAEGIL WILL SUPPORT HIS BROTHER AGAINST  MONSTER

.I READ SOME CHARACTERS DESCRIPTION ON VIKI...FROM CHARACTER DESCRIPTION THE FUTURE KING WANTS TO BRING DAGIL AND DAMSEO NEAR HIM...THERE IS NO DESCRIPTION OF DAMSEO ...I WONDER WHY...HAVE YOU READ SOMETHING MORE ABOUT HER?

Archived