Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

@liteulkwin   Yep, I have said it when she said 'he always worries her' he happily similed this boy is not clueless not at allll.....

But like you said there is lots of those little expression changes we didn't necessarily emphasized since it's obvious he loves her. Still it's fun to share clues right? Since this is our paradise:D

I will dig it!!

Edit: Shall I make gifts with chronological order? 

By the I meant to say this before but rather than comparing Taek with future husband why not try it to compare  it with Taek's father and future DS with her mother? Don't call me crazy but genetic traits tend to kick in after 40s. It doesn't need to be as clues but while doing it we can discover other insights about parents and their relationships so I think it would be fun what do you think  ?

• Like 3

Thanks for all the excellent analysis in this thread, I love it!

Personally, I'm not deeply invested in either relationship. I love both JH and Taek as characters and if either ends up being the husband, I am cool with that.

However, it just seems so clear to me that Taek is the endgame. I can't offer detailed analysis, it's more of a gut feeling? I do love watching JH's puppy love developing, and I would love to see DS's reaction to it, now that she's getting a clue about how he feels.

There will be flirtations, there will be heartache. It will be a blast to watch.

And Taek will emerge the winner of the husband jackpot in the end! And just like at his baduk tournaments, he will be a graceful winner.

Everyone buy me dduk-boki at the final episode, because I will be right about this! Muahahaha. (me, not a graceful winner)

• Like 10

@onlysb1 what do you mean by gifts in chronological order, dear? if u meant GIFs then YES PLEASE!!

And speaking of gifts i love that TK brought alcohol from China, treated them dukbokki and pizza after he won... in earlier episodes he complied to their request to bring them milk etc when they all hung out at his room. It shows how kind- hearted he is, but then he slowly reveals more of himself, interestingly enough. remember when they all did the rock-paper-scissors and JH lost, TK also told him to go make ramyun.. :) so as much of as the earlier episodes paint him as this cute puppy, I have faith in the writer's ability to make him have way more depth, as it's been slowly revealed thus far.

Someone mentioned about the left- hand hint being a possible red herring because they have yet to see the 2015 hubby writing/ eating with his left hand.  I noticed that in ep 7 when TK called DS from his hotel room to ask about his dad's birthday gift, he's writing something with his RIGHT HAND. am i seeing this wrong guys..

Screen_Shot_2015_12_10_at_12_37_29_AM.pn

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Thanks for all the excellent analysis in this thread, I love it!

Personally, I'm not deeply invested in either relationship. I love both JH and Taek as characters and if either ends up being the husband, I am cool with that.

However, it just seems so clear to me that Taek is the endgame. I can't offer detailed analysis, it's more of a gut feeling? I do love watching JH's puppy love developing, and I would love to see DS's reaction to it, now that she's getting a clue about how he feels.

There will be flirtations, there will be heartache. It will be a blast to watch.

And Taek will emerge the winner of the husband jackpot in the end! And just like at his baduk tournaments, he will be a graceful winner.

Everyone buy me dduk-boki at the final episode, because I will be right about this! Muahahaha. (me, not a graceful winner)

I'll buy you one.. Hahahahaha!! Can I buy you in advance!!!! ^^

• Like 3

@liteulkwin My theory is that after his left arm got broken in episode 2... during the childhood flashback scene.. he learned to be ambidextrous?? Like he's naturally a leftie.. Or, or, another possibility is that he reserves his right hand for important stuffs like baduk and writing memos.. IDK hahaha what do you think? I mean i tried to replay the scene but it seems like he isn't really writing a long note, just circling the calendar date?? and later after DS said "gloves" he scribbled something again... hahaha.. 

Screen_Shot_2015_12_10_at_12_56_59_AM.pn

• Like 7

About Taek is left handed, I always see him playing baduk using his right hand, so he can use his both hands just fine.

Btw what I just think of is that they showed us Taek's behavior when he's with strangers, that makes his characters deeper than the others.

Remember in R94, i think only Trash got that treatment, they wanted to show us how different he is from the usual Trash and the respectful sunbae at school. He was so matured compared to when he's with the gang

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lovelyrainy said:

About Taek is left handed, I always see him playing baduk using his right hand, so he can use his both hands just fine.

Btw what I just think of is that they showed us Taek's behavior when he's with strangers, that makes his characters deeper than the others.

Remember in R94, i think only Trash got that treatment, they wanted to show us how different he is from the usual Trash and the respectful sunbae at school. He was so matured compared to when he's with the gang

Agree on that.. Im not sure, but one of the parents and also DS father commented that Taek is matured ..I can't remember the exact words..and ep.

but it just why the elders can see the maturity of Taek and even when he's in competition or with strangers there's no scene that he behave like idiot or such a puppy..but when he's with his friends he have this kind of behavior..

i was thinking maybe the factor that he's genius and somehow he want to be just normal with his friends.. To the extend his friends see him look idiot or whatever..or maybe he just have this kind of traits quiet and innocent one..and sometimes very naive in some other thing..

.I'm not sure on what I'm saying..I just really want to share it..hahahahaha..^^

• Like 2

Deok sun's mom said uri taek gets really mad when he's angry right? or something close to that.That must mean taek has a bit of temper problem? I am curious to see if they show him getting hyper or mad at someone too,again the scenes at china made me curious about how serious he looked all the time.It's like all this time he was being reminded everywhere as a child or how he can't even handle the forks properly,but in real he's the matured of them all,he lost his mom at an earlier age,has been living with his dad for decade,and does not have anything other than baduk.I remember the earlier episodes when his strenuous routine of practicing and taking meds was constantly on screen.I hope that he remains that way and does not reveal anymore about how he feels to jh =/.It just seems like a premonition that jh gets to know about anyone who have an interest or allegedly look interested in deok sun.

Someone above mentioned if jh looked bothered when he thought sun woo has an interest in ds,I think not? Because before that bus scene,I remember he consciously said to ds that sun woo left already,but he was still waiting for ds to come,and that happened even if he knows that ds has a crush on sw.So maybe he wont have stopped his endeavor even after knowing about any other opponent.Now why is it different in taek's case? Probably because,he is too jealous to have anyone taking a look at ds? I find it a bit shallow,and also the way he fell for ds seemed a bit cheap to me,just because you get to realize that the girl who've been your friend for years is a 'girl',does not seem strong enough to be a reason to fall for her.It does not make it as worth while as the romance in '94.JH-DS does not seem to me worth to die for....

• Like 5

There's one thing that keep bothered me, the official video that show  duksun and the boys running together, no matter how happy i am reading about suntaek my mood suddenly turn to be gloomy when I remember that eottokhae? 

Reply 88 would becomes my fave drama depend on how writer execute the rest of episode, following Healer, FFI, IRY, Cheer Up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nearsea said:

Deok sun's mom said uri taek gets really mad when he's angry right? or something close to that.That must mean taek has a bit of temper problem? I am curious to see if they show him getting hyper or mad at someone too,again the scenes at china made me curious about how serious he looked all the time.It'se all this time he was being reminded everywhere as a child or how he can't even handle the forks properly,but in real he's the matured of them all,he lost his mom at an earlier age,has been living with his dad for decade,and does not have anything other than baduk.I remember the earlier episodes when his strenuous routine of practicing and taking meds was constantly on screen.I hope that he remains that way and does not reveal anymore about how he feels to jh =/.It just seems like a premonition that jh gets to know about anyone who have an interest or allegedly look interested in deok sun.

Someone above mentioned if jh looked bothered when he thought sun woo has an interest in ds,I think not? Because before that bus scene,I remember he consciously said to ds that sun woo left already,but he was still waiting for ds to come,and that happened even if he knows that ds has a crush on sw.So maybe he wont have stopped his endeavor even after knowing about any other opponent.Now why is it different in taek's case? Probably because,he is too jealous to have anyone taking a look at ds? I find it a bit shallow,and also the way he fell for ds seemed a bit cheap to me,just because you get to realize that the girl who've been your friend for years is a 'girl',does not seem strong enough to be a reason to fall for her.It does not make it as worth while as the romance in '94.JH-DS does not seem to me worth to die for....

When did she say that? Is it in ep 9 when they visited Taek's appa? I didn't watch engsub, only viet sub which was translated from chinese, what she said was "Taek is so pitiful, he's weak / has sickness too, how can we make him bring Duksun alone?"

• Like 1

@lovelyrainy Yeah it was in ep 9 probably when ds's parents are talking about taek's father,when he got sick.I don't remember the exact quote,but they did talk about taek's temper.Later I can probably post after rechecking myself.Again it can be that dramafever made a poor translation.And it's misquoted.

----

The only kid on our block who
doesn't study is Duk Seon.

00:41:40,617 --> 00:41:42,217
No, that's not it.

00:41:42,217 --> 00:41:47,217
It seems that it takes a while
for guys to get their passports.

00:41:47,217 --> 00:41:49,117
They said that it takes
a couple of months.

00:41:49,117 --> 00:41:50,818
But Duk Seon is a girl

00:41:50,818 --> 00:41:54,918
so she can get one in a couple days
if the Baduk Club helps out.

00:41:59,418 --> 00:42:03,918
Oh... if it's difficult,
you don't need to send her.

00:42:03,918 --> 00:42:05,617
I just asked, just in case.

00:42:05,617 --> 00:42:11,818
No, it's nothing like that...
it's just because I feel bad for Taek.

00:42:11,818 --> 00:42:14,418
Taek's scary when he gets angry,
isn't he? ***

00:42:14,418 --> 00:42:18,617
No. Taek likes Duk Seon.

00:42:18,617 --> 00:42:21,418
I'm sure that the two of them
will get along fine.

00:42:26,318 --> 00:42:28,418
I'll bet Taek feels so ashamed.

00:42:28,418 --> 00:42:30,717
Who's taking care of who, exactly?

***That's coming from deok sun's mom.

• Like 5

OMG thank you @hafunohane for starting this thread! We finally have a place to spazz and let out all our delusional thoughts!

There are so many posts I want to quote but it would be too long so I won't quote all of them. But really loving all the long analytical posts and gifs and pictures and spazzing from all you lovely Taektanic passengers!

About the husband hunt:

Personally I think the Reply series husband hunt is very much driven by the girl. As in, its always about how the girl feels towards the guy. In Reply 1997 there were many red herrings about Tae Woong being the husband, but when Shi Won broke up with him, it was pretty clear that Tae Woong was not going to be the husband. Same thing in Reply 1994 - many clues and red herrings that Chilbong was the husband (especially in the "current" time scenes), but all throughout the drama, Na Jung had never shown any interest in Chilbong. Na Jung really only had eyes for Trash oppa.

Which makes me worried for Reply 1988, because so far DS has really not shown any romantic interest towards Taek. You could say she's not exactly really really interested in JH but at the very least she is curious about him / his romantic interest in her. Something needs to happen (like someone telling her that Taek is interested in her, or even Taek telling her himself) for DS to realize.

Also about Jung Hwan:

I don't know if you guys feel this way, but I'm worried that the JH/DS story has been rather underdeveloped so far. I agree with @Meliere - that if JH does the noble idiocy thing and steps back - its almost guaranteeing that JH will be the husband. Personally, I'm really hoping that JH doesn't step back and puts up a good fight, maybe even winning the girl in 1988 (and then hopefully breaking up when it doesn't work, which leaves it open for Taek to come in later hahahahahaha!)

_______

Separately, I actually think I might be okay with Taek not being the husband. Personally I just really like Taek as a character, he's such a refreshing second lead! And Park Bogum is doing him so much justice with how layered and nuanced his expressions are.

IF Taek is not the husband, I hope they at least show us he fell in love with his future wife (and show us more scenes of the awesome Taek smiles around his future wife). I think this was where Reply 1994 failed versus Reply 1997. In Reply 1997, we actually had scenes of how Tae Woong met and fell in love with his wife but Reply 1994 gave us only one lackluster scene of Chilbong and a woman (that we even had to guess was possibly his future wife)....

But ultimately I really really really do hope Taek is the husband. JH being the husband would be so predictable and such a similar formula to Reply 1997. Perhaps its because Park Bogum is doing such a great job, but really for once you have such a layered and interesting 2nd lead that it would be such a shame if the story were to end up in the tried-and-test formula way....

_______

Another side note: OMG @Meliere you're Yvian on Dramabeans? I'm totally stalking your comments on Dramabeans you know.... XD (I'm Ninja Kil over there hahaha)

• Like 7