[Taiwanese Drama 2015-2016] Bromance 愛上哥們

sugarplum892

What is the significance of 1314 in the Bromance finale?

2b8bc6f6-ca9c-4dbd-a7bc-8b2b24b9a009.png

A very cryptic scene in the popular romcom Bromance is when the viewers see a room number 1314 on the screen. Why 1314? It has to do with an alternative Chinese phrase that gives the moment extra romantic flair. 

Homophones refer to two or more words that sound the same but have different meanings. There are many characters and words that sound the same in the monosyllabic Chinese language, which gives comedians and writers plentiful material to make jokes or twist meanings based on similarly sounding words or phrases. It is also why Chinese is considered difficult because often only fluent speakers can discern meanings by noticing the slight differences in sounds and tones between similar-sounding words and phrases.

For the lovebirds in Bromance, 1314 has a romantic alternative meaning.

05530494-3d3f-49b0-9d78-d721738e369f.png

"1  3  1  4" is pronounced as "Yi - San - Yi - Si".

"一 生 一 世" is a similar-sounding phrase, and pronounced as "Yi - Shen - Yi - Shi".

"一" is the traditional Chinese character for the number 1.

"一 生 一 世" is literally "One Life, One World," and it means "Forever."

For viewers who have followed Taiwan's hit drama Bromance, Ya Nuo (Megan Lai) and Zi Feng (Baron Chen) Baron fell deeply in love, but Ya Nuo has been masquerading as a boy since childhood to avert a tragic fate predicted by a fortuneteller. The couple's romance is really about two souls meeting and falling in love. 

Many Chinese romances are influenced by the traditional belief that an enduring love will last forever, beyond the borders of time and space. In other words, "One Life, One World" actually refers to the eternal continuation of life through its repetition in multiple cycles. 

This is why "一生一世" means "Forever."

4e65f956-5ce5-4a6b-b910-e6892a0d7dd7.png

Have you been touched by the lovers' devotion to each other as expressed in Bromance

If you haven't watched it, now is the time to start the marathon, as a happy ending is guaranteed. There is even an extra behind-the-scenes special, episode 19, that shows how the passionate scene was filmed right outside room 1314.

~ NancyZdramaland

(Photo/Image credit as referenced or as tagged)

c drama fever

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MAROSA_JIN I have many times done the marathon but reluctant to run until the finish line. I feel better if I went back to the starting point and run again but never reach the end.  Dont know how many time I hv done so. Still not yet able to leave Bromance.

Yi-Shen Yi-Shi. 

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Am I seeing things? Am I seeing things? Am I seeing things?? (important things MUST be stated 3 times in the tradition of BROMANCE)

Baron's WeiBo
http://m.weibo.cn/u/1874608417

Megan's WeiBo
http://m.weibo.cn/u/1249192743

THEIR BACKGROUNDS ARE THE SAME!!!!:heart:

Don't know when they did it, but I only just realized it!!

And don't tell me it's nothing! It's something HUGE and DECLARATION to me.........the picture evokes in me a sense of 同一片草原,like the same grassland under the same blue sky FEELS.....

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M HAPPY!!!!

(Can someone snapshot it and post it here as evidence for our collection here...??)

1 hour ago, azihan5 said:

@MAROSA_JIN I have many times done the marathon but reluctant to run until the finish line. I feel better if I went back to the starting point and run again but never reach the end.  Dont know how many time I hv done so. Still not yet able to leave Bromance.

Yi-Shen Yi-Shi. 

Same with me. I neglect the last episode (actually a few last episodes). I actually watch episode 18 & 19 just once. I rather going back to the episode where they weren't dating yet. And dreaming the ending would be better. B)

1 hour ago, Oh Ting said:

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Am I seeing things? Am I seeing things? Am I seeing things?? (important things MUST be stated 3 times in the tradition of BROMANCE)

Baron's WeiBo

Megan's WeiBo

And don't tell me it's nothing! It's something HUGE and DECLARATION to me.........the picture evokes in me a sense of 同一片草原,like the same grassland under the same blue sky FEELS.....

(Can someone snapshot it and post it here as evidence for our collection here...??)

Thank you! I've seen it. It's beautiful. Grass is tenacious and perennial. I hope it shall be the same with both of them. May they be around for a long, long time. I'll be definitely supporting them. 

38 minutes ago, redmorningglory said:

Same with me. I neglect the last episode (actually a few last episodes). I actually watch episode 18 & 19 just once. I rather going back to the episode where they weren't dating yet. And dreaming the ending would be better. B)

Me too!! i don't watch ep 18 and 19 that much... i prefer watching from ep 1 - 17 ... kkkk i dunno why... 

2 hours ago, jasper lyly said:
  Reveal hidden contents

pic cr ~ watermark

R's hands?

NO!  His hand is on her shoulder for the photo shot.  He only knows her for 2 days for the China reality show RACE THE WORLD, so how can he put his hand on her head?  And his usual style is mostly on the shoulder.  There is a gif on instagram you can check it out (it's either a hair piece or the girl own hand).   

55 minutes ago, lalalalala lalalalala said:

whos that girl?

She is Zhu Zhu, singer and actress in China but I don't think she is in the lead actress category (never seen her work before).  Currently she is Baron's 1st partner in the reality show RACE THE WORLD in LA.  Eventually they will exchange partner along the way when they go to different cities/countries to compete against other participants and their partners, will also be eliminated depending on the results and how strong is the partnership.  Some of the games for this show are sports related because of the coming 2016 Olympics (there are 3 China sportsman participants).   During his solo interview, Baron wish he can lasts till the final episode. 

7 hours ago, Oh Ting said:

AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Baron's WeiBo

Megan's WeiBo

On 3/4/2016 at 1:03 PM, elliezsnow said:
26 minutes ago, Roma Grace Nicol-Cuevas said:

I want to follow them on weibo.. Is there an english way to sign up? And follow them?

If you don't have an account, feel free to make one here with your email (got the English link for our fellow BFFs!): http://www.weibo.com/signup/mobile.php?lang=en-us

@Roma Grace Nicol-Cuevas Here ya go...I have an account it's not totally English, but enough to sign up with your email not phone number.  Thanks to @elliezsnow for the link.

Archived