Girl’s Day Receives Wave of Criticism Due to Behavior on AfreecaTV

Guest abyakko

There is no excuse for ignoring the host...that is the reason you are on a show is to promote. I didn't see this show, and I like GSD, but I actually can believe this happening as I've seen their mannerisms in other shows. They are nice girls, but a little too casual for their culture sometimes.

Usually when an idol group goes on a talk show, there are "designated speakers" in the group..those people that respond mostly to the questions unless a question is directed specifically at a singular person. The others are there to look interested in whatever "thing" is offered..in this case food. I've noticed in more than one Korean show where food is the main focus like this though...they eat like they are glutons...(can't stand that type of show where they push massive spoonfuls of rice in their mouths at one time.). The idea I guess is to show how much you are enjoying the food, but to me it can just look "pigish"!

If we are truthful, I'm sure GSD could actually be starving because it's comeback season...they may only get an apple a day for weeks just to get their weight down below 100...especially Yura because her normal hourglass figure has to look cohesive with the super skinny other girls.

If they removed the video it must really not be good.

If you go to the host's afreeca channel you can find his lengthy "explanation" broadcast. You can find the original broadcast through unofficial uploads. Even in the original broadcast, the MC says that "this broadcast" is "unlike normal broadcasts" and that he was pulling a stunt right before the crucial "controversial" moment.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Booggy Booggello

Plus, I never cared for K pop idol groups either.

Pretty weird that you're on a Kpop idol groups news site then.

There is no excuse for ignoring the host...that is the reason you are on a show is to promote. I didn't see this show, and I like GSD, but I actually can believe this happening as I've seen their mannerisms in other shows. They are nice girls, but a little too casual for their culture sometimes.

Usually when an idol group goes on a talk show, there are "designated speakers" in the group..those people that respond mostly to the questions unless a question is directed specifically at a singular person. The others are there to look interested in whatever "thing" is offered..in this case food. I've noticed in more than one Korean show where food is the main focus like this though...they eat like they are glutons...(can't stand that type of show where they push massive spoonfuls of rice in their mouths at one time.). The idea I guess is to show how much you are enjoying the food, but to me it can just look "pigish"!

If we are truthful, I'm sure GSD could actually be starving because it's comeback season...they may only get an apple a day for weeks just to get their weight down below 100...especially Yura because her normal hourglass figure has to look cohesive with the super skinny other girls.

If you go to the host's afreeca channel you can find his lengthy "explanation" broadcast. You can find the original broadcast through unofficial uploads. Even in the original broadcast, the MC says that "this broadcast" is "unlike normal broadcasts" and that he was pulling a stunt right before the crucial "controversial" moment.

Well there we go then! Maybe it was even a play on the fact "they should be starving". Most of the times the girls are "over excited" on shows where the MC is probably thinking they need to calm down. Like I said I do like them, but I can believe this happening because of how casual they can be on TV. I'm glad they weren't officially being rude though if what you said is true. I'll still hold to the fact that they were probably starving and just waiting for a talk show where they would be fed! 

Guest abyakko

3 hours ago, abyakko said:

3 hours ago, happy2bhere said:

Well there we go then! Maybe it was even a play on the fact "they should be starving". Most of the times the girls are "over excited" on shows where the MC is probably thinking they need to calm down. Like I said I do like them, but I can believe this happening because of how casual they can be on TV. I'm glad they weren't officially being rude though if what you said is true. I'll still hold to the fact that they were probably starving and just waiting for a talk show where they would be fed! 

Well the whole point of a "mukbang" broadcast is that it is a gimmick or stunt. The host/guest doesn't find or cook delicious or special food. They eat take-out junk food, as was the case here. Many popular hosts rely on gimmicks such as inviting guests, or playing games with the audience, or staging dramatic encounters. I would compare it with something like twitch.tv in the Western world, which was acquired for $1 billion by Google in 2014. Many twitch streamers receive cash donations from viewers that watch the host play video games. Many such hosts are not good players. Some popular streams provide entertainment by featuring a female host who says or does sexual things. Some create elaborate and artificial "role-playing" rules that I'm sure that some neophytes from the Eastern wold would find strange. Afreeca TV, and mukbang shows, are a completely different type of broadcast from mainstream music or variety shows.

Guest abyakko

4 hours ago, abyakko said:

3 hours ago, abyakko said:

4 hours ago, happy2bhere said:

Well the whole point of a "mukbang" broadcast is that it is a gimmick or stunt. The host/guest doesn't find or cook delicious or special food. They eat take-out junk food, as was the case here. Many popular hosts rely on gimmicks such as inviting guests, or playing games with the audience, or staging dramatic encounters. I would compare it with something like twitch.tv in the Western world, which was acquired for $1 billion by Google in 2014. Many twitch streamers receive cash donations from viewers that watch the host play video games. Many such hosts are not good players. Some popular streams provide entertainment by featuring a female host who says or does sexual things. Some create elaborate and artificial "role-playing" rules that I'm sure that some neophytes from the Eastern wold would find strange. Afreeca TV, and mukbang shows, are a completely different type of broadcast from mainstream music or variety shows.

Also wanted to point out another example of a popular type of Western world twitch.tv streams that a stranger might find strange. Many streamers regularly "troll" other unsuspecting players that they are playing the online game with. The unsuspecting players often react with anger or frustration at the "trolling." The audience of the stream finds it entertaining, and reward the streamer with cash donations.

Guest Gary Little

How disrespectful!! I herd they lafft at dead ladies code singers too!!! And they said Way and Choa from crayon pop were ugly. Way is my bias!!! I love Way and Choa unnies!! Crayn pop Fwarting!!! I dont no anything abot this bwicth.tv thing everyon sayz but they should stop eating , so selfish, I HATE YOU GIRLS DAY!!! STOOPID SKANKS!

Guest ema_purpsakura_stv

This is what happens when you're going up against big groups - their fans will do anything to try and pull you down with made up controversies. Because they feel threatened with girl’s day comeback, because the songs was very good and the concept was very good and different from other groups and exceed the expectation.
At the middle of the show, when girl’s day (minah & hyeri) say something, the host told them to shut up their mouth. But hyeri and minah told him why they would wear mike if they have to keep quiet and sojin said this is broadcast show that’s why they have to talk. After that incident, they still talk and react to the host but with less enthusiasm, at the same time the ordered foods had arrived that attract their attention (food lover). Such a nonsense came up from haters said that ‘girl’s day often ignore Choi Kun, speaking amongst themselves and focusing more on the food that Choi Kun had bought for them.’
The girl’s did nothing wrong. There was few mistakes come from the camera man. The camera men only capture the girls that were eating and not included the host. It is not like girl’s day chase him out. That is why the mc keep moving around to many places. Also this is freestyle interview, the mc didn’t has the script to ask girl’s day with specific question. The question only come from the fans commented online live during the broadcast that should be read from the tablets on the table. The site also allows the idols to read the question from the people whose is online with them at the moment. At the end of the show, during eating time eventhough it was not mention by the girls but I could catch the situation they also saw the hater comment eventhough they try hide it they are slight expression I detected when girl’s day try to hide that they were sad when they read the anti- fan comments. For example, minah only sing ring ding dong (shinee songs) and their song ring my bell highlighting the different melody. Actually I understand it right away, there was lot of hateful comment from anti-fan that said they copy shinee ring ding dong song which is totally ridiculous. There were not even a cent similar for both song, neither melody, rhythm nor even chorus part. Haters are such a loser, they feel threaten when girl’s day make comeback and due to girl’s day raising popularity, hence they even said and accuse with unreasonable, ridiculous, idiot thing. Even with those defamations, I believe and trust this group because they are the korean group with the best personality. There are positive, bright, fun, cheerful and funny and will light up people day every time watching them. Those pathetic and blind haters should get a healthy life. Haters are such negative person because they only know to hate. They were far away behind our positive and happy girls.
The dumpling war- actually the table was full due to the massive amount of food. Girl’s day were known for the girl group that eat a lot at a time. The members all share similar preference of foods because of their close bond which is stronger than siblings; they were like a real family. Due to full table, the girls put aside the food that did not eat. Because there were lot of foods they want to focus eating on the foods that they really want to eat. When the mc just casually put the food the table on the table. Actually the mc just want to plays with his ‘soojin noona’ (his playful mode on at the moment). The tired sojin able to say in low voice that that do not want to eat that food and put down the food back. But they mc find it interesting to play with Sojin which unconsciously go with the flow = playing “dumpling war” and her only mind at that time that other member didn’t’ eat it and why it should be on the table with full of foods already. Sojin didn’t have lot of energy due to tiredness to even say anything. The mc just want to play with sojin because he find that interesting. At the time, hyeri point at it with ‘what are both of you doing’ found that moment was cute and the two were seems close enough to play it like that. Haters were pathetic to make that moment turn into negative thing ‘dumpling war” eventhough the mc just being playfully teasing Sojin in good meaning and sojin accept it well and friendly feed the mc
The broadcast supposed to talk about girl’s day and their comeback. But the mc mostly speaking about irrelevant topic and keeps talking and wants to show his talent mimicking other celebrities. Hence, with the tiredness and hunger due to 24 hours schedule without sleeping attending broadcast after broadcast since their comeback, how can them response to the mc who want to get the girl’s attention at the irrelevant topic.
For all this time I had only read and still be patient with those anti-fan. Since starting from girl’s day comeback teaser the anti-fans actually from SONE’s keep viewing and visiting girl’s day articles and video only to leave ridiculous hateful comment, accusing them for ‘nothing’, and make up ridiculous negative rumour toward girl’s day. There were pathetic, because they feel unsecure with girl’s day comeback that is why they keep attacking girl’s day blindly and not being open minded and not knowing girl’s day. Hate that arises toward someone without knowing them is the attitude of a loser. I can’t hold on anymore to those ridiculous accusations. Then I decide to make an account to protect our poor girls. Before this I just read and watched k-pop nicely whether I like or dislike the idols and celebrities. But those haters were over the limit and being too injustice and too rude because of their favour the only group, they were attacking the other group that held the same period of comeback to keep their idols on top. REALLY PATHETIC. Certainly the anti-fans were scared for other group rising popularity. If not, they would not term as anti-fan for no reason. There was a saying said that “the more obstacles and hardships, the more successful a person is”. I bet those haters were really a burden to the people around them and make the people in their life feels annoying with them, because their hearts are full of hatred and their mind and aura are always negative. I feels sorry for them ‘a little’. Remember that the world is round like a wheel. If today you make defamation and release false rumour out of nowhere, one day the exact same thing will turn back to you. Lastly, live positively with healthy mind.
THIS IS THE CLARIFICATION FROM THE HOST:
However, in response to this, the host clears up misunderstanding today and expresses, “The atmosphere was really good and we enjoyed it. Since what was aired is very candid, it caused misunderstanding.”
Can refer this satetement to:
http://www.soompi.com/2015/07/08/afreecatvs-choi-kun-responds-to-criticism-of-girls-days-behavior-on-broadcast/
http://zkpop.com/2015/07/girls-day-criticized-for-rude-behavior-on-afreeca-tv-articles3699.htm

Guest ema_purpsakura_stv

How disrespectful!! I herd they lafft at dead ladies code singers too!!! And they said Way and Choa from crayon pop were ugly. Way is my bias!!! I love Way and Choa unnies!! Crayn pop Fwarting!!! I dont no anything abot this bwicth.tv thing everyon sayz but they should stop eating , so selfish, I HATE YOU GIRLS DAY!!! STOOPID SKANKS!

so you were one of them.Poor you. Shame on you. now where this unrelated ridiculous statement come from??. what a crap. i even saw girl's day post twitter by sending their regards toward ladies code. LOSER, your statement was a failure

Guest ema_purpsakura_stv

they look like... drunk.. no hate i love GD.. but yeah i feel bad for the MC..

poor you, so pathetic. what drunk? the mc already clarified it. no more feel bad for the mc but now feel sorry for your words. they didn't have time to drunk. the were really hardworking for their comeback. has no time to sleep and for proper eating. since the start of their comeback, they work 24 hours without stop due to full schedule. they keep on moving nonstop from radio broadcast, then interview, then their showcase, doing the rehearseal for thier showcase, repeating and keep dancing and singing , playing sports and tug-of-war with fans then tv broadcast, then live broadcast,then interview again, then perform again in music program then to another radio broadcast, then again so on with non stop, no time for rest or eating. well of course no proper sleep for those three days. even their dark circle can be seen.
well i challenge you to do the activities like them, proved mean would you survive? then why would you want to hurt the feeling of those tired bodies.remember the world is round like wheel.

Guest ema_purpsakura_stv

5 hours ago, abyakko said:

5 hours ago, happy2bhere said:

yes, the mc already clarified and said it they want the girls do the programm in another way and with comfortable and in a relax way before this is internet broadcast, the mc does not want anymore like previous broadcast that were too official and too formal. the programm want to change the concept since this is internet broadcast not a tv broadcast to beformal

As an objective party with no dog in this fight and a lot of experience, let me tell you what I see: For starters, 53 minutes is not a "interview" it's a dang reality show. That's a LONG interview. And they brought in food to make it even more causal. On top of that the guy doing the interview was very passive. He starts out behind them. The girls are completely turning around to focus on him, waiting for him to step up. It was hard to even tell when the interview began. When he finally took command of his show they all did their part and let him speak etc. But at times, because it was so long, he would let go of the reigns. He went from sitting between them to being on his knees in the corner barely speaking up. The girl next to him could hear him. I'm not bashing the guy, I'm just saying that is the kind of interview he does. HE set the tone for the casual atmosphere. 

I don't know if you're familiar with life in a K-pop group but it's hectic to say the least. They can do two or more shows in a day. They spend their life on stage and in a van. Now except for one girl here you have a 21 year old and I think the other two are 22. And they have been doing this since 2010. That means they were little more than babies when they started and they were told to dance, sing and look good. They did not go to charm school. 

I had a psych professor once who said something that I believe applies here. "When someone doesn't like you, nothing you say or do will be right." To people who envy these girls they probably seem like ungrateful privileged brats. To me they are just a group of young girls blowing off steam. I don't see any intentional disrespect. I see kids being kids, unaware of the scrutiny they will receive. 

So sayeth the Ahjumma. ;)

Girls Day is just being Girls Day.
You put them in a room with food and you are asking for trouble.
It is like feeding four hungry lions.
Yura and Hyeri are like two little kids and Minah and Sojin can't control them
What did he expect?
Don't ever give them food till the interview is over.
Most of the interviews they do like Ask in a Box and other shows know this and do not give them any food.
Lesson learned.
Don't feed Girls Day till the interview is over!
Period!

Guest Sifa0429

did they really say that about choa & way?

2 hours ago, Gary Little said:

Stop trying to create a lynching.
Girls Day never said that about Ladies Code or the other lies you said.
You are a liar and you may get sued by Dream Tea Entertainment.
Be careful what you say on the Internet, you may get sued.
You should retract your lies quickly!

Guest prism2103

2 hours ago, Gary Little said:

@Gary Little is trying to produce a fanwar. i was streaming it live, and gsd did not say a single bad thing about any idol, in any way.

Dream Tea Entertainment will probably sue you for slander.
Retract your statement now!

A polite correction: (even if it was said tongue in cheek) Slander is spoken. If it is written it is libel. And yes, they do have a case for defamation. But that aside, in general let's use our heads. Does laughing at dead people and flat out calling people ugly even sound like the kind of social suicide someone in the public eye would commit? It's so silly. When you see them in an actual interview the best critics can come up with is, they weren't paying enough attention. Through the rumor mill they suddenly become heartless sociopaths with no clue. This just in, Girl's Day is behind the fighting in Serbia, global warming, and I'm pretty sure they are sending me junk mail. 

Guest abyakko

3 hours ago, Gary Little said:

Guys! I'm positive that he was joking. He read my comparison about "trolling" and decided to apply it to this situation to show how absurd it was. I'm sure that he misspelled and used that tone on purpose, and created outrageous examples to emphasize the point.

Of course, none of those things about Ladies Code or Crayon Pop are true. I've been an ardent Minah/GsD fan for years and have never heard GsD make any comments about specific CP members, let alone insult them.

Guest ema_purpsakura_stv

As an objective party with no dog in this fight and a lot of experience, let me tell you what I see: For starters, 53 minutes is not a "interview" it's a dang reality show. That's a LONG interview. And they brought in food to make it even more causal. On top of that the guy doing the interview was very passive. He starts out behind them. The girls are completely turning around to focus on him, waiting for him to step up. It was hard to even tell when the interview began. When he finally took command of his show they all did their part and let him speak etc. But at times, because it was so long, he would let go of the reigns. He went from sitting between them to being on his knees in the corner barely speaking up. The girl next to him could hear him. I'm not bashing the guy, I'm just saying that is the kind of interview he does. HE set the tone for the casual atmosphere. 

I don't know if you're familiar with life in a K-pop group but it's hectic to say the least. They can do two or more shows in a day. They spend their life on stage and in a van. Now except for one girl here you have a 21 year old and I think the other two are 22. And they have been doing this since 2010. That means they were little more than babies when they started and they were told to dance, sing and look good. They did not go to charm school. 

I had a psych professor once who said something that I believe applies here. "When someone doesn't like you, nothing you say or do will be right." To people who envy these girls they probably seem like ungrateful privileged brats. To me they are just a group of young girls blowing off steam. I don't see any intentional disrespect. I see kids being kids, unaware of the scrutiny they will receive. 

So sayeth the Ahjumma. ;)

agree with you. actually i knowed from which anti-fans those negative comment came from. it is from fans (haters) from the girl group that make the comeback on the same time. from my 8 years of experienced i can tell they were teenagers (girls) that just recently starting to gain interest on k-pop by only blindly like certain group in a way with too much enthusiasm on their idol group.

Archived