Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Source: Star News, Kim Soo Jin reporter , 2006.09.12.

Trans : korean to english by gaulsan

The Hallyu top star BYJ is heading for Kyrgyzstan on 21st for shooting of the drama 'Legend'.

BYJ is planning to leave on this day in secret in order to avoid confusion.

He is planning to stay there for about a month and a half and work for "Legend".

Actor Yoon Tae Young, who plays the role of BYJ's rival will leave together.

It is planned to film large-scaled battle scenes there.

A staff of the drama said on 12th, "BYJ, YTY, and other actors will film four battle scenes in Kyrgyzstan. As this is a large-scale project, we are trying to make sure to secure the actors, and to prepare props to the detail. There will be large number of extras, also.

The fact that CG staffs who worked for the Lord of the Ring will join this large-scaled battle scene of 'Legend' with the nature of Kyrzyzstan as a setting is attracting a lot of expectation.

"Legend" is a drama of King Kwang-gae-to, which will be aired by MBC early next year.

skyaromy@mtstarnews.com

Kwon Ohkyeong posted this on the Talk Box of BYJ's official home.

Korean to English translation by Joanne

Japanese media, reported BYJ's 'TWSSG' photo all at once

[star News]9/12/06 07:47

2006091206531315912_1.jpg

'Power of BYJ!'

The Japanese media showed great interests in the next drama by Korean Current star BYJ. The influential sports newspapers in Japan such as Nikan Sports, Sports Hochi, Sankei Sports, etc. reported BYJ's photos related to 'TWSSG' all at once on 12.

That is following the first domestic(Korean) introduction of the photo of BYJ made up as the Great King Kwang-gae-to Damdeok in the 'TWSSG' on 11.

Nikan Sports, etc., saying that "The appearance of BYJ made up as the Great King Kwang-gae-to was made public for the first time," reported that "It is far different appeance from BYJ's atmosphere all the while until now." Those media, telling "This photo was shot in a set in Kyeonggi Province," reported that "BYJ has told his feeling that he is expecting shooting from now on as much as the preparation period was long."

Also, the Nikan Sports, etc. showed interest in Moon Sori whose photo was made public along with BYJ on that day, explaining that she was famous Korean actress.

They are pushing forward to air the 'TWSSG' in Japan in title, 'Legend-Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi'

Reported by Jeon Hyeonghwa,aoi@mtstarnews.com,star@mtstarnews.com

Copyright ¨Ï Money Today Star News

Korea --> Jang Dong-gun, Japan --> Bae Yong-joon… different ‘taste’

nopredict200609120728010.jpg

"Jang Dong-gun in Korea, Bae Yong-joon in Japan"

Oricon Style of Japan that conducts various kinds of surveys began with Oricon Chart of album-sales ranking, announced the selection of Top 5 favorite male and female actors of Korean and Japanese people on 11 September. Oricon Style, that conducted survey to 2 groups, Korean and Japanese people from teens to 40s, noted that the favors of the 2 countries are different and ‘Hallyu stars are not exactly Korean stars’.

In this survey, Korean chose JDG as the top actor, while Japanese selected Bae Young-joon. The result of Korean people is JDG followed by Won Bin, Jo In-sung, Jo Jae-hyun and Song Kang-ho in Top 5. Meanwhile in the result for Japanese, Hallyu star names Bae Yong-joon, JDG, Lee Byung-hun, Won Bin and Park Young-ha are listed orderly.

Reported by Jo Jae-won, miin@sportshankook.co.kr

2006/09/12 07:28:16

Article re-posted from Just Jang Dong Gun @ www.jang-donggun.com

Translated by YoonEe

KBS English news reporting the same survey:

Originators of Korean Wave Still Loved in Japan

0912_enter_1_l.jpg

Four Korean actors who are considered the originators of the Korean Wave, or Korean pop culture craze, have been found to still be the favorites among Japanese fans.

In its internet edition on Monday, the Japanese entertainment magazine Oricon Style announced the results of its survey of Japanese people between their teens and 40s that asked, “Who is your favorite Korean actor and actress?” The announcement came in the wake of the news that the recent Korean movie “The Host” is drawing global attention.

Bae Yong-joon, who stole the hearts of Japanese women with his role in “Winter Sonata,” was chosen as the most popular Korean male star. He was praised for his sincere and caring attitude toward his fans and his "killer" smile. Following Bae were Jang Dong-kun, whose tough image was cited as his charm, Lee Byung-hyun and Won Bin.

The magazine said that it has been three years since the Korean Wave hit the island country, but the four Korean stars have been enjoying unchanging popularity.

Choi Ji-woo, known as Jiwoo hime ("princess"), was cited as the most loved Korean actress for her beautiful appearance and sophisticated style. Yoon Son-ha, who is working in Japan, took second place due to unwavering support from her male fans, followed by Lee Young-ae.

Sep 12, 2006 KST 17:15

Source: http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...5080_11858.html

Article re-posted from Just Jang Dong Gun @ www.jang-donggun.com

Translated by YoonEe

annamarie has been doing a lot translation lately for us english speaking fans in kob. i think she's doing pretty good. she's a korean living in the states and she's practicing her korean by doing translation. i really appreciate her effor doing this

[trans] Is Yong Joon wearing contact lens?

[entertainment Q&A] Is Yong Joon wearing contact lens?

[sports kan 2006-09-11 23:48]

posted by gaul yeoja in korean in kob

translated by annamarie in KOB

Q:I am a fan of Bae Yong Joon and waiting for the Legend. In Yong Joon's recent photo depicting

dam duk", he wasn't wearing his eye glasses which is his trademark. Is it possible that he is wearing the contact lens?(Busan, Kwang Yeok City, Dong Lae Koo, Park Young Jin).

A:No, he is not wearing a pair of contact lens. According to Yong Joon's management company, his eye sight is not bad. In the drama, Winter Sonata, Yong Joon wore glasses to represent the character, Joon Sang.

The Legend is a Korean traditional drama and eye glasses are inappropriate for the era accompanying the drama. Also, in the movie "Untold Scandal", Yong Joon did not wear eye glasses. But, his long hair is not a wig, it is Yong Joon's real hair. Yong Joon grew his hair for Dam Duk's character that he plays. He also built his body by gaining some weight beginning of this year. But, he lost his weight as portions in different parts of his body. Now he continues to maintain his weight for the duration of filming Legend.

Reporter-Kang Young Koo

=========================================================

here are some related news that gaul yeoja posted telling us about yong joon's eye surgery

Sports Seoul 1996/05/27

"Entertainment Weekly Reporter"

-K2TV Bae Yong Joon who is a popular actor in Mini TV Series `Pa Pa' will be receiving eyesight correction surgery at a hospital in Seoul. During the filming of "Pa Pa", his eyesight provided discomfort. His plan was to perform in K2TV mini series "blue" episode in "color", but due to his eye surgery, it was cancelled.

His eyesight has gotten worse within a few months while filming CFs and drama.

[HanKook News Paper]2000.06.29

Quiet Bae Yong Joon

"Bae Yong Joon's laser eye surgery..."

While attending Sung Kyun Kwan University, though Bae Yong Joon refused parts requests for drama, he decided to receive laser eye surgery.

In 1996, he received a surgery on one of the eyes. Due to busy schedule, he waited to the other eye surgery. During the vacation, his eye surgery is the first thing to do.

After surgery, he will be focusing on bodybuilding. He plans to lose wait because coming fall, he will be performing in a movie or a drama.

Notice about relocation of BOF office

posted in the notice section of KOB

Greetings everyone,

We wish all of you enjoy the autumn weather and take good care of yourselves in different climates.

We would like to inform you the location of new office of BOF as below.

byj_eng.gif

We hope that all of you are well informed so that you could send any kind of letters to Bae Yong Joon to new office address in stead of “Gorilla In the Kitchen”.

We always appreciate your kind interest and love toward BYJ. We will continue our efforts to be better company to meet your expectation.

Best wishes,

BOF

Sept. 12, 2006

"Japan's best Hallyu Stars are Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo after all"

78_0.jpg

Bae Yong Joon and Choi Ji Woo of 'Winter Sonata' that sparked the Korean Wave were chosen as Japan's favorite actors.

Japan's Oricon Style News recently noted the interest in the Korean movie 'The Host' and released on the 11th the results of a survey conducted amongst the Japanese in their teens to 40s about their favorite Korean actor and actress.

From the survey, the favorite actors were ranked in the order of Bae Yong Joon, Jang Dong Geon, Lee Byeong Heon, and Won Bin, and actresses Choi Ji Woo, Yoon Son Ha, Lee Yeong Ae, and Jeon Ji Hyeon.

From the survey, Bae Yong Joon was reviewed as "sincere, cares for his fans, and has a charming smile," receiving the most votes confirming the popularity of Yon-sama.

Jang Dong Geon whose 'wild and masculine image' was selected as his charm was ranked second, once again proving his popularity as an actor in Asia. Lee Byeong Heon and Won Bin also ranked 3rd and 4th.

Oricon Style commented regarding the survey, "The Hallyu boom started three years ago, but the four Hallyu 'kings' still exclusively claimed the top four."

Also, 'Ji Woo Hime' Choi Ji Woo who is actively appearing in drama series and commercials in Japan received reviews that she is "beautiful and has good style," and was chosen as the favorite Korean actress of the Japanese.

Yoon Son Ha who is active in Japan placed second receiving the support of male fans with reviews that she always "tries hard in a foreign land," followed by Lee Yeong Ae who is said to have "intellectual and innocent charm with great acting abilities."

Meanwhile, in a survey conducted amongst Korean people, Jang Dong Geon was chosen as the favorite actor followed by Won Bin, Jo In Sung, Jo Jae Hyeon, and Song Gang Ho. Song Gang Ho who is the main actor of 'The Host' received a broad range of support with reviews of "great acting abilities and has the presence of an older brother type figure."

Son Ye Jin was selected as the most favorite actress amongst Koreans followed by Lim Soo Jeong, Moon Geun Yeong, and Jeon Do Yeon.

While not being ranked in the top of the above surveys, Lee Jun Gi and Cheon Jeong Myeong were introduced as 'actors to look out for in the future.'

[Copyright © 2006 Goodday News/Goodday E&I Inc. All rights reserved.]

http://www.broasia.com/lwboard/lwboard.php...;pg=1&no=78

Guest thatarod

Wow! Yong Joon Oppa looks really great! :phew:

Can't wait to watch this movie and I hope to watch it in the theater on the big scrren too.

So that I can see oppa better..he he :D

If nothing went wrong,I'd go to Korea next month.Hope they have the poster of YJ oppa in the warrior suit for sale. :rolleyes:

Hi,

It is really good news to know that YJ still keeping his first rank in Japan, he also comes first for my list (King of heart).

How come he is not on Korean's survey?

Pat

Wow! Yong Joon Oppa looks really great! :phew:

Can't wait to watch this movie and I hope to watch it in the theater on the big scrren too.

So that I can see oppa better..he he :D

If nothing went wrong,I'd go to Korea next month.Hope they have the poster of YJ oppa in the warrior suit for sale. :rolleyes:

Hi thatarod, it's not a movie, it's a drama series. Like you, can't also wait to see this. I miss BYJ for so long already.

endless thanks again to a sweet sister for the translation, for bb for posting in her blog and rosiebaba for all the scanned magazine photos :)

[Trans] BYJ's first cut at jejudo

Reposted from: http://www.happiebb.blogspot.com

once again, a sweet sister who doesn't want her name known,

has translated two articles from two japanese magazines just out this week.

want to say a big 'thank you' to her for translating for us week after week.

really really appreciate it, sweet sister!

Original in Japanese: Shukan Josei 2006/09/26

Scanned & Posted by: Rosiebaba / joonsfamily

Translated into English: A Sweet Sister / bb's blog

BYJ First Cut at Jejudo Taken in “Cave”

Shukan Josei 9-26-06 p. 31

66710171xaut4is9ys4.jpg

66710486qsxda3wzshukanjosei1ll2.jpg 667161719cjt0ecoshukanjosei2pb6.jpg

“Yong Joon-ssi greeted us by bowing and waving a number of times!” said an excited fan. On September 5 shortly after 8:30 pm, Yonsama arrived at Jeju International Airport. He appeared dashing in a black hunting cap, sunglasses, a low-cut beige t-shirt, a white jacket, denim jeans and received a rousing welcome from the approximately 300 fans trying to catch a glimpse of him! “Family gathered around him through the lobby as he made his way to the exit. Then right before he got into his car, he turned around to show his face, greeted everyone and departed for his hotel, Hotel Lotte Jeju.

The following day on the 6th, around 11:30 am., he appeared smiling and waving in the black hunting cap, sunglasses, a different white jacket, t-shirt, and jeans. There were 100 family members waiting in the hotel lobby and at the stairs at the front of hotel to see him off as he headed off to start his location filming.

It was previously reported that the first cut on Jejudo would be filmed at the shooting range but he appeared at a cave, “Kum Nyeon Snake Cave” a little distance from the main set!

“I couldn’t see clearly but I think BYJ was wearing brown woven leather shoes and an ancient ethnic costume that looked like a robe with long sleeves and its hem in cotton or linen material. His hair appeared to be pulled back. His co-star Moon Soori was also nearby.” (Tourist Association spokesperson)

It appears that the location filming was changed due to the shooting range not being completed in time. The wonderful horseback riding form we were looking forward to and which Yonsama was gearing up to film has been halted. The filming in the cave ended about 5 pm. Yonsama changed back from the costume into his street clothes. He spoke incessantly and happily with staff and Joe Hisaishi, the music director who had arrived from Japan to watch the filming and after exchanging greetings. He then looked into the distance at his family watching from afar, bowed his head politely and smiled at them. Then he again returned to the hotel.

[bb: please note that the tiny photo at the bottom right of the third scanned picture was that of wuri yong joon and joe hisaishi.]

On September 7, it was believed that the Jejudo filming would continue until the Kyrgyzstan location filming begins. Yonsama was in the air on his way back to Seoul before 1:30 pm. A family who was going to the airport from the hotel had a lucky encounter,

“I thought there was someone who looked like Yong Joon-ssi riding in the car and when I looked carefully, it was him. I thought I’d never get another chance like this so I waved at him through the tinted windows. Yong Joon-ssi was surprised by this sudden move and he waved back at me.”

During this 2-night 3-day visit [in Jeju], Yonsama did not go out. “During his stay in Samcheok for April Snow, I heard that weight training equipment was brought into his room but this time he used the facilities within the hotel.” (hotel spokesperson)

Then there is this story.

“Park BOF in Seoul will also open in Jejudo. It will open shortly in October.” (Tourist Association spokesperson)

The horse for Yonsama’s exclusive use has just arrived and everything is in place for the filming of TWSSG to proceed on Jejudo.

[Trans] the commuting yonsama

Original in Japanese: Josei Jishin 2006/09/26

Scanned & Posted by: Rosiebaba / joonsfamily

Translated into English: A Sweet Sister / bb's blog

Yonsama Round Trip Commuting

& Moderate Lifestyle While on Location

Josei Jishin 9-26-06 p. 38-39

66710487qzwrmdvgjoseishincz8.jpg 66710488sggsa0ihjoseijishin1jm9.jpg

66710489dn1vk2ftjoseijishin2hc9.jpg 66710490s2xdheqpjoseijishin3fn4.jpg

BYJ finally arrived in Jejudo for the TWSSG location filming. The official tours to visit the film sets had just begun the day before on September 4.

On September 5 at 8:30 pm. there were about 200 family waiting in the arrival lobby at Jeju International Airport to welcome Yonsama.

One female official tour participant, who departed on September 5, said she caught the news that Yonsama would be departing Seoul Kimpo Airport. “I got the news from another fan that Yong Joon-san would be coming to Jejudo. Since it was free time during the tour, I took a taxi to the airport!”

Yonsama appeared in the arrival lobby wearing a dark brown hunting cap, sunglasses, white jacket, and jeans. The t-shirt was deeply cut, showing off his muscular chest.

As Yonsama approached, family was polite and orderly in greeting him. Maybe he was happy seeing family after a long absence, Yonsama was also smiling.

“Yong Joon-san had his hair pulled back in a ponytail. He waved at us. He was slender and I’m glad that I was able to see him.” (fan)

Outside the airport, the family watched from behind the barriers set up. Yonsama was surrounded by numerous police, and rode off in a waiting van to his hotel, Lotte Hotel Jeju.

This hotel is Yonsama’s designated hotel and was used for the Lotte Duty Free VIP event in 2005. The drama’s co-stars are also said to be staying at this hotel.

Yonsama stays at the Royal Suite, the only one of its kind. It is an ultra-VIP room with room rate of 605,000 won (about 730,000 yen or US$630). Recently, Tiger Woods stayed in the same suite.

“His meals for that day were all taken through room service. He ordered boiled chicken breast, abalone porridge, and stewed fish.” (drama spokesperson)

This hotel has a main annex and a fitness annex. “There’s an indoor pool on the first floor of the annex where he swam in the early morning when he was here last year. There is also a gym in this annex and he was seen training on the running machine.” (a regular guest at the hotel)

Yonsama also is fond of golf but he has not played yet this summer. “Currently, he declines all offers to play no matter who invites him to play as he is putting all his energy into filming.” (Korean TV spokesperson)

Yonsama Wields Sword

On September 6 Yonsama appeared at the hotel’s main entrance shortly after 11 am. Tour participants were gathered in the hotel lobby to greet him.

Yonsama was wearing the same white jacket as the previous day. He waved to family while sending them a warm smile.

[bb: actually I think it’s a different jacket, as we can see from the pictures. The one he wore on the first day had gold-coloured stars on the sleeves. Shukan Josei also reported that it was a different white jacket. here’s a picture shared by a fan on BSJ site.]

YJ.jpg

“I was able to see him right in front of me, so I’m glad I signed up for the official tour. I think those people that came on their own could only see him from afar…” (fan)

Yonsama got into a car and drove off to the location filming site.

The ladies on the official tour that departed September 6, witnessed Yonsama in his costume and they still haven’t cooled down from their excitement.

“After we arrived, we were taken straight to the location site. Because the main sets are still not completed, we were taken to a separate location.

I think it was around 1 pm. We were all patiently waiting for Yonsama who was in the location bus.

Yonsama was in makeup and came out of the bus wearing a white dress type of costume. He waved at us while walking. We got to see just a bit of Yonsama himself.”

The tour staff explained to the group, “Today’s filming is for the mythic age.”

Afterwards, the tour participants watched Yonsama’s five-minute demo tape which this magazine has previously introduced.

“His part was not that big but we watched it on the screen. Yong Joon-san appeared in the last three scenes. It was over very quickly but it was really wonderful. In his white costume and at the very end, he held a long sword where he looked so attractive.” (official tour participant)

She laughed and said the child actor was also cute. “Because Joe Hisaishi created the music, I think this should be a film instead of a TV drama because of the sweeping impressions. The CGs (computer graphics) are definitely reminiscent of LOTR. It is what one would expect from the same team. This is a drama with high expectations.” (previously quoted tour participant)

Then about three hours later. “Yong Joon-ssi finished filming about 4 pm and returned to the location bus. We saw him again at that time.”

[bb: funny how there’s also a bit of discrepancy when it came to time and numbers. shukan josei reported 300 fans at the airport whilst josei jishin said there’re 200. shukan josei said the filming in the cave ended at 5pm, whilst josei jishin said it’s 4pm.]

The tour participants received a special souvenir.

“We received TWSSG perfume. It’s too precious to use so I shall display it.” (previously quoted tour participant)

According to a Korean tour agency, as of September 8, there are approximately 6,700 applicants for the official tours.

“From now until December, there are about 20,000 Japanese tourists scheduled to visit Jejudo.” (Korean travel agency)

Yonsama went to his hotel after the filming.

On September 7, at 11 am. he left the hotel for the airport. He departed for Seoul on Asiana Airlines departing Jeju at 1:25 pm.

This visit of two nights and three days had only one day of location filming. Is this really okay for the progress of filming!?

“One day during the period of the 15-17th of this month is scheduled for location filming at our facility,” said the promotion manager at Bucheon Daejin College in Gyeonggi, Bucheon, a suburb of Seoul.

“The set is constructed in the gymnasium basement. It is usually locked so that only authorized personnel are allowed entrance.” (Korean newspaper reporter)

Yonsama was here in July for location filming.

“It appears that until the Jeju main sets are completed, he will be commuting back and forth between Jeju and the Seoul set.

At the earliest which is the end of September, there is the scheduled Kyrgyzstan location filming which will require him to be abroad for two weeks to one month.” (drama spokesperson)

Other than long distance involved, we are concerned about his health as he shuttles from place to place. Please take care as you give it your best!

From english chosun

Updated Sep.13,2006 17:00 KST

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0609130009.html

Are Korean Movie Stars Too Expensive?

The Korean film industry continues to grow at an alarming pace. After “Silmido” opened an era of 10-million ticket sellers in 2004, four more films quickly followed suit. “The Host” recently set a new record, taking the top spot from the “King and the Clown,” which itself brought more than 12.3 million Koreans to the theaters earlier this year. But the growth in the industry means the amount Chungmuro’s biggest names are charging for appearances on the big screen is also shooting through the roof. How does it compare to overall production costs?

How Much Do They Make?

200609130009_01.jpg

Clockwise from left: Bae Yong-joon, Song Kang-ho, Lee Byung-hun, Jang Dong-gun, Jang Jin-young, Jeon Do-yeon, Jeon Ji-hyun and Lee Young-ae

The rates stars charge are a good way to gauge their popularity. Currently, Bae Yong-joon is Korea’s highest paid actor. In last year’s “April Snow,” the actor was estimated to have earned at least twice the W300 million(US$1=W959) he got for his work on “Untold Scandal” in 2003.

By using the buzz generated by Bae Yong-joon’s popularity, only in the early stages of production the film was exported to Japan for US$7 million and subsequently raked in W23 billion with its successful run. Choi Min-sik, Song Kang-ho and Seol Kyung-gu are known as the Three Musketeers of Chungmuro for their ability to bring box office success, and they command around W500 million per film. Then there are Lee Byung-hun and Cha Seung-won, who each get about W350 million per movie, and of course Jang Dong-gun, whose appearance in “Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War” helped take that film above the 10 million tickets mark.

Among the women, Lee Young-ae and Jeon Ji-hyun are at the top, each getting about W350 million-W400 million for their work, while Jeon Do-yeon and Jang Jin-young get W300 million -W350 million for their appearances.

Hollywood Prices

200609130009_02.jpg

Clockwise from left: Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Cameron Diaz and Julia Roberts

It is hard to make a direct comparison between the price of Korean stars and their foreign counterparts, due to the fact that the scope of distribution is different, as is the size of the market. Tom Cruise made the most money last year of any Hollywood actor, according to the U.S.’ Quigley Publishing, which has every year since 1932 researched producers and theaters owners to find out who the top 10 earners are.

Tom Cruise confirmed his popularity with “War of the Worlds,” after winning back the top spot with “Vanilla Sky.” Johnny Depp was second, followed by Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, who starred in “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.” According to Hollywood sources, Tom Cruise earns $28 million-$30 million per film: a sum 56 times greater than the highest-earning Korean screen star. Tom Hanks came second with $27million-$28 million, and Johnny Depp followed with $26 million. Julia Roberts and Cameron Diaz get about $20 million per film, while Nicole Kidman, Jessica Alba and Angelina Jolie earn around $15 million.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

Guest eliza bennet

I like Bae Yong Joon much much better in costume rather than contemporary clothing. And Moon So Ri is an excellent actress.

Very excited for this drama!