Bae Yong Joon 배용준

Admin

Guest tiffany

For those who do not know what taugeh is...

Taugeh is bean sprouts.

Many housewives/ ladies here (esp in the past) would supplment their income by plucking off the roots of the bean sprouts for sale to the retailers. Or housewives, as part of the housework, in preparation for their meals, would sit around and pluck taugehs and chat and gossip at the same time.

Obviously, the imagery and reference is not complimentary as it implies that we have nothing better to do and like to gossip and chat.

Good morning everyone... :D

Firstly, thanks to Liezle for posting the lovely AS making DVD captures.... :) ..thanks to happiebb for the beutiful brokore asia mag pictures..... :) and frances for the articles and pics too.... :)

Here are some captures from a talkshow. Thanks to Frances for the link .... ;)

:wub: :wub:

cx5mf.jpg

cx15zf.jpg

cx22ud.jpg

cx30td.jpg

cx48sw.jpg

Guest frances

Liezle, Carol !!! i just got my April Snow korean version OST & Making of DVD today from yesasia !!!! i'm a very happy girl today :D:D

Liezle, next to come are your copies ;)

Liezle, Carol !!! i just got my April Snow korean version OST & Making of DVD today from yesasia !!!! i'm a very happy girl today :D:D

Wow!!... congratulations Frances dear!!.... You must be on cloud 9!!! :D:D Were your hands trembling when you were holding the DVD?? hahaha... Whenever I receive something 'YONG JOON' by mail, my hands will turn cold and tremble! :lol:

Guest frances

from Bloomberg.com

Hyundai Motor to Boost Advertising in Japan to Halt Sales Slump

708811115030xt.jpg

Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's largest carmaker, said it will increase advertising in Japan, Asia's biggest market, in an effort to reverse slumping sales.

``We are spending more for advertising, per unit basis, in Japan'' than anywhere else, Kenny Ahn, director of international business division at Hyundai Motor, said in an interview. ``The Japanese market is one of the important markets for us.''

The company will spend about $6 million this year promoting its redesigned Sonata sedans and plans to increase the amount. The Seoul-based carmaker is also planning to introduce its revamped version of the Grandeur sedans, which are already one of its best-selling cars in Japan.

Hyundai Motor sold 1,765 units in Japan in the first nine months of this year, a decline of 15 percent from a year earlier. The carmaker has less than 1 percent of the Japanese market while in the U.S. it has a 2.9 percent market share.

Aimed to attract Japanese buyers, Hyundai Motor is running advertisements featuring South Korean actor Bae Yong Joon, the most popular foreign celebrity in Japan this year.

``After we launched the Sonatas, we sold about 100 units,'' Ahn said. Hyundai is aiming to sell about 150 to 200 Sonatas every month. The sedans are priced between 2.1 million yen ($19,200) and 2.68 million yen. The carmaker said on Sept. 6 it expects to sell 1,500 Sonatas a year in Japan.

Hyundai Motor's shares rose 0.3 percent to 78,900 won in Seoul today as of 11:06 a.m.

Frances I'm so happy for you! I'm still eagerly awaiting for my copy. I have been wanting to ask my bestfriend but I'm too shy to follow up with her

Guest frances

Liez, Carol , i'm browsing right now the free photo album. the packaging of the making dvd is pretty nice !! i cant wait to get home & watch the dvd tonight....i'll listen to the ost on my way home ;)

Guest frances

VOD

Arayo posted this in Daum.net's byjfan Cafe.

reposted by Joanne in Quilt

BYJ - 7 days in Japan

http://proxy.f2.ymdb.yahoofs.jp/users/40e3...CclAwDB32Wkg7DN ~ 3.36 mins

~~ hey guys, i have to take off this article from the 1st page coz i have to use the space for the compilation of all the links ( those i'm aware of ) of BYJ fan sites, dramas, movies, etc.... now u can find in the 1st page pertinent info on The Man...his profile, compilation of articles, VODs, CFs, etc ( courtesy of Liezle) & the links....thanks !!

reposting ~~~ :)

from twitch.com

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/003577.html

or u can visit Kurt's Film Blog ( active twitch contributor/online critic)

http://kurtscomment.blogspot.com/2005/09/april-snow.html

September 18, 2005

TIFF Report: April Snow (외출) Review

(Posted In Asia Drama Reviews Toronto Film Festival 2005 )

Let us get this out of the way early. For the wrong reasons, April Snow is a film that will forever sit in the shadow of Wong Kar Wai’s stylish romantic tragedy In The Mood For Love.

During a highly unusual snowstorm in late spring, a car accident leaves a local man dead, and a man and woman from Seoul beat up badly and in comas. In Su works as a lighting co-ordinator for pop concerts, and has to leave right in the middle of setting up a large concert due to a phone call from his wife being injured small coastal town. When he gets there, he meets Seo Young, a woman attending to her comatose husband. For both of them, the abrupt situation is both tragic, and also very awkward. Their spouses were in the car togther, driving drunk to a location neither knows. This is never clearer than when they have to sift though a bag of possessions recovered from the car. Which one of their spouses owned the condom? On the cellular phones and digital camera, In Su and Seo Young find intimate phone messages and an explicit video of their worst fears, their spouses lounging in bed in a state of casual and intimate humour.

Both In Su and Seo Young are put through the emotional wringer over the weeks of waiting for their partners either to wake up, or pass away At times both wish for either of these two ends for their silent partners. In a particularly awkward scene, at the request of one of their insurance adjusters, they attend the funeral of the local man who was killed in the accident. The mother, deeply mired in grief, as the accident was the result of drunk driving, at first thinks the couple are friends of her son. When they awkwardly explain their relationship to the deceased, the mother sends them away and the family members threaten violence. That particular form of guilt (how are In Su and Seo Young at fault here?) is convincingly examined though a distanced and unusual relationship, which starts with unanswerable, questions and ends with love.

There is a multitude of compelling reasons why In Su and Seo Young get together. They are both away from home in the static limbo of hospital corridors and long wait between doctor visits. They are both grieving for their partners who secretly betrayed them in one of the worst possible ways, in other words: these are very scarred souls. And there is an undeniable attraction between them that cannot be ignored. But the trump card here is that the emotional baggage of their situation hovers over every word, gesture and thought.

April Snow works as a film at every possible level. It defies the obvious trap of melodrama inherent in the situation. The acting and chemistry of the two leads is impeccable, as is the distanced and silent tone of the film. Director Hur Jin Ho and actors Bae Yong Joon and Son Ye Jin scripted the film as they were shooting it. This often ends in a messy muddled film (see Dancing at the Blue Iguana for a good example of this concept done really bad), but here, the film is flawless in its storytelling. Admittedly, a mainstream audience may have trouble with the very, very slow pace, but it is perfectly in line with the story, situation and isolated and uneasy tone of the film. I cannot think of a single wrong note in the film.

So, what about the comparisons to In the Mood For Love? Well, it is reminiscent of that film, obviously from the concept, but also because it goes about itself different in every way. April Snow is contemporary and crisp where wkw’s film is nostalgic and ethereal. April Snow does offer answers and a conclusion, where In the Mood For Love is vague and not forthcoming. Does this make sense? It will when you see the film. And if you are a romantic at heart, you should. A snowstorm in the summer is a bitter sweet moment captured in yet another solid film out of South Korea.

» Posted by Kurt Halfyard at September 18, 2005 08:53 PM

B)

Guest frances

sorry, but i'll use the space in 1st page previously occupied by this picture....

reposting :)

Yong Joon during the AS press conference in Korea ~

2005082318345192755_3.jpg

Kwon Ohkyeong posted this on the Talk Box of BYJ's official home.

translated & posted by Joanne in Quilt

BYJ secretly went to the US

[Yonhap News]10/10/05 09:45

052005101001000_1.jpg

While many Japanese fans came to the 10th PIFFwith heart of wondering if they could meet BYJ, the fact was known that BYJ 'quietly' boarded on an airplane to the US on the past 7.

BYJ left country for Los Angeles on 7 with acquaintances. His current trip to the US is scheduled for 10 days, and it was known that it was for both CF shooting and a rest.

Although BYJ initially scheduled to make a stage greeting in the PIFF where the 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' was invited, he gave up the attendence worrying about possible accident that could happen due to swarming fans.

However, despite the news of his absence, many Japanese fans came to Pusan, and they felt 'substitute gratification' as they saw BYJ's manager, Mr. Yang Geunhwan, who attended the PIFF in the last weekend.

On the other hand, after he came home, BYJ will enter the preparation of the 'Great King Four Gods Story', a new epic period drama by Kim Jonghak PD.

Reported by Yoon Goeun,pretty@yna.co.kr

Copyright ©Yonhap News Agency

Gaeulyeoja posted this on the Talk Box of BYJ's official home.

Translated and posted by Joanne in BYJ's Quilt

BYJ, to start shooting 'Great King Four Gods Story' from November

[star News]10/10/05 11:03]

'Korean Current' star BYJ wil begin shooting epic drama 'Great King Four Gods Story'(Directed by Kim Jonghak) from November.

A source at BYJ's agency, BOF, told on 10, "He plans to start shooting of the 'Great King Four Gods Story'from coming November," and "As the schedule was piled up including CF shootings, he could not prepare for it for a while. When comes back after finishing CF shooting in US, he will start full-scale preparation including practicing martial arts and horse-riding."

BYJ left country for the US on the past 7 with staff for shooting a CF of an overseas company, and he plans to stay there for about 10 days.

BYJ, who initially wanted to attend events related to film 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' which would be screened in 'The 10th PIFF', gave up attending as the overseas CF shooting and the event schedule overlapped.

Reported by Lee Gyuchang,ryan@mtstarnews.com,star@mtstarnews.com

Copyright ⓒ Money Today Star News

South Korean movies ride crest of wave

BUSAN, South Korea : From the hordes of screaming fans to the flag-lined streets and non-stop parties that have transformed this southern port city, the South Korean movie industry is clearly in the mood to celebrate after a decade of phenomenal growth.

The Pusan International Film Festival which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year has plenty of reasons to be cheerful: cinemas are packed, exports are soaring, and the world's leading film gatherings are paying homage to South Korea.

The festival in Busan, which has a daily procession of international and local stars treading the red carpet near Haeundae Beach, has become the jewel in the crown of Asia's new cinematic king.

Organisers of the nine-day event have been basking in the gushing compliments of all-comers from Jackie Chan to leading Taiwan auteur Hoa Hsiao-hsien, who have all proclaimed the festival the biggest and best in Asia.

"The Pusan International Film Festival has been getting bigger and better each year, while the fortunes of Asian, and particularly South Korean, film have grown as well," festival programmer Kim Je-seok told AFP in an interview. "There's a synergy."

More than 80 homegrown movies were produced last year, compared with less than 50 in 1999, according to the Korean Film Council. Domestic box office receipts have increased ten-fold over the past decade, boosting market share from 20 to more than 50 per cent.

Exports have risen to more than 50 million US dollars per year compared with just 200,000 dollars in 1995, with 194 films sold abroad in 2004, up from 15 a decade before.

"There has been huge, huge growth. The industry has grown very quickly," said An Cheong-sook, chairwoman of the Korean Film Council, noting that South Korean film-making began to improve when the military dictatorship ended in 1987.

"There was no more censorship so producers and directors were allowed to use their creativity," she said.

Western film festivals took notice, and critical acclaim poured in for distinctive works by leading Korean directors including Jang Sun-woo, Park Kwang-soo, and Lee Myung-se.

"The (commercial) market only came after the festival success," An said, adding that a change of attitude to the industry in 1999 provided a second spur to growth.

The government pledged 150 million US dollars to the industry and set up the film council to help produce, promote and distribute Korean films.

About the same time, it began enforcing a quota system requiring every cinema screen to show homegrown movies at least 106 days a year which, while unpopular with the US, dramatically boosted domestic market share to the highest in the world, An said.

-- Star power --

Busan's film festival's growth has mirrored the fortunes of national cinema and this year is bigger than ever with more than 300 films from 70 countries, while attracting leading film and industry figures from around the world.

Festival programmer Kim attributed the meteoric rise of South Korean cinema to its inability to be pigeon-holed and the X-factor that has made Korea's stars among the biggest in Asia.

"Hong Kong films make you think of action, Japanese films of Samurai and animation, but what kind of film is Korea known for? There is no one type," Kim said.

"Of course that could be a negative, but I think it's positive because we get to have a variety of films," he said.

"Secondly we have star power," added Kim, referring to the likes of heart-throb actor Bae Yong-joon who has inspired frenzied fan scenes from Taiwan to Tokyo and whose mass appeal stretches as far as the US and Mexico.

Bae is among a host of film, TV and pop stars to have gathered an international following as part of the "Korean Wave" of pop-culture sweeping overseas.

Ryan Law, who runs a website in Hong Kong devoted to Korean movies, said South Korean films had simply overtaken the competition in terms of quality.

"Hong Kong used to make more than 100 films year. Now it's 50-something. In Korea it has gone up from around 50 to 80," Law told AFP.

"But the quality is also increasing. They spend time on the scripts and production and you will find something original -- unlike Hong Kong which just copies and follows trends."

When the Pusan International Film Festival started, Chinese movies enjoyed a much higher profile but they have since been upstaged by homegrown movies.

Almost all the Korean movies screening at the festival have sold out, and Western film critics and movie buyers are queuing up to watch them.

"South Korean films have undoubtedly been the best in Asia over recent years," said Harri Rompotti, a critic from Finland. "Perhaps it's because there's a generation now which doesn't remember the dictatorship, or perhaps it's just a confluence of talent," he said.

While domestic box office takings dipped in the first half of this year as the industry hit a rough patch, it rebounded in the summer with three blockbusters drawing more than 10-million viewers between them.

Japan remains by far the main overseas market for Korean films, accounting for nearly half of all exports but the US, Japan, France, Germany and Thailand are all significant buyers, and new markets are opening up in Mexico and South America.

Korean movies have yet to wow mainstream audiences outside Asia but they have been increasingly feted by major festivals and Hollywood movie moguls.

MGM, Miramax, Warner Brothers and Stephen Spielberg's DreamWorks have all bought rights to remake Korean movies in recent years, and scouts are everywhere at the Busan festival.

The country's best-known film-maker, Im Kwon-Taek, was awarded an Honorary Golden Bear at the Berlin film festival in February, while Park Chan-wook's "Old Boy" won the runner-up Grand Prize at Cannes last year.

This year's festival in Busan features Park's latest work "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance", as well as other well-known Korean directors including Kim Jee-woon's "A Bittersweet Life", Hur Jin-ho's "April Snow" and Kim Ki-duk's "The Bow".

Programmer Kim said he was more excited by the up-and-coming directors being showcased in a Korean Panorama section, citing "Love Is A Crazy Thing", the second feature from Oh Seok-geun which debuted Saturday with a blitz of publicity.

Predicting further growth in the years ahead, Kim said the new directors would form the next wave of the festival's, and industry's, success story.

The film council's An said: "The future is bright. Until now Korean films were not known in the West, but this is just the start. The future is very bright."

Law was even more emphatic. "The future is Korean," he said.

- AFP /ct

phpNAojCI.jpg

South Korean movie stars Bae Yong-joon and actress Son Ye-jin. - AFP Photo

Guest frances

~ not so sure if this was already reposted...i like this piece very much !! the writer is very young and yet can write so very well....thank you so much to 7-11 and bb

[Trans] The Warmth of the Night

Original in Chinese by: 7-11 / www.loveyongjoon.com 2005/02/04

Translated into English by: Happiebb 2005/02/16

bb: 7-11 is a young lady in her mid teens,

she became a BYJ fan after watching Winter Sonata.

If I remember correctly, she’s either fourteen or fifteen years old.

Though tender in age, the passages that she pens give no sign of her young age.

Instead, what shows through those beautiful words of hers

is a sensitive soul that is mature beyond her age.

I translate one of her recent works for all to share.

-------------------------------------------------

For Bae Yong Joon:

The Warmth of The Night

I remember coming across one of RenTian’s work; there was a part that went like this:

The storms of the world come at us,

And we’ve nothing but the strength of our bare hands to face the wrath.

Maybe… we quiver and die away without a trace,

Maybe… we’re lucky enough to make it through with flourish,

The swinging and distance of our arms… Nothing but the warmth of one night…

I suddenly thought of that certain gentle Korean man who wears glasses;

so much like the warmth in the still of a certain darkened night.

Never been one to like those stars who’re supposedly everyone’s dreamboat.

Because I’m the selfish type, I’m not good at sharing many things with other people.

But Bae Yong Joon is an exception.

I managed to finish watching that classic Winter Sonata in an intermittent manner.

It’s also the only Bae Yong Joon TV drama I’ve ever watched.

What’s in my memory?

Well, stretched before my eyes is white snow, white wintry snow…

A gentle-looking man raises his head towards the sky ever so slightly

and the tiny snow specks fall upon his cheeks.

His smile melts those pure white snowflowers silently, dissolving them…

One, two, three… the snow flakes are reflected in his luminous eyes very densely,

the snowflakes spread out…

A sense of déjà vu…

The sight is like something out of one of my dreams.

Bae Yong Joon’s smile is undisputedly mesmerizing.

His smile can melt away any sadness and shut out the cold, just like those snow flakes.

He’s so different from all those I’ve loved before.

He doesn’t have * Ferrero’s melancholy and vulnerability.

Neither does he possess Beckham’s passionate intensity and loudness.

And he’s not crazy and razor-sharp like Linkin Park.

He… He’s just standing in that corner of the world, with such tranquility and confidence.

Him, just standing there with a seemingly familiar smile,

yet at the same time a smile hinting at something unfathomable and something so deep…

he’s just standing there watching the world from a distance…

I’ve always imagined his fingers to be long and slender,

and at the same time, strong.

The quiet strength in the perfect bends of those fingers give the feeling of purity and cleanliness.

Any loneliness or vulnerability in this world can be soothed

with the caress and touch of those hands, becoming warm and at peace.

I remember reading in a magazine before,

it said that if a person can remain at a perpetual age,

then the writer wishes that Takizawa Hideaki [bb: Japanese actor]

can remain at twenty forever.

Well, I would like Bae Yong Joon to be thirty forever.

At thirty, he emits a mature appeal that is almost fatal,

and there’s a certain intellectual elegance about him.

The mere existence of Bae Yong Joon,

or at least whatever little I can see of Bae Yong Joon,

gives me proof and hope that there is still righteousness, light and hope in this world,

there’s a certain warm strength and energy about this man.

He has become a certain belief personified.

On TV, one can see so much news about Bae Yong Joon,

and how he is being adored by countless fans in Japan,

the resounding success of The Untold Scandal…

I’m not particularly ecstatic, nor crazy over such news, neither will I become excited.

I love not a movie star.

What I love is just a very warm man whom I can depend upon,

and whom I can pour my heart out to.

He is like the ray of light in the chilly and dark night…

In this numbing and lonely world, he is like the warmth in the night.

Penned by: 7-11

[Written whilst listening to “About Memory”]

*bb: Juan Carlos Ferrero is a Spanish tennis player.

David Beckham is a British football player.

Linkin Park is a wildly popular rap-rock band.

[Trans]Avon Japan, pink ribbon special site

Translated and posted by tomato99 in BYJ's Quilt

avon1.JPG

http://www.avon.co.jp/byj/index.asp

I want to save you from breast cancer.

http://www.avon.co.jp/byj/byj/index.asp

Bae Yong Joon and pink ribbon

"Avon's 'Goodbye to breast cancer' campaign to protect women from breast cancer.

I sympathize with its keystone and call on people of Japan for early detection of breast cancer

and involvement in fund raising charity."

Number one cause of cancer deaths for women between ages 30 to 64 is breast cancer,

and one person is diagnosed of breast cancer approximately every 12 minutes.

I was very sad to know this fact.

Breast cancer is a disease that could eat up not only body but also soul of a woman.

I want to protect women's precious breast from cancer.

From this expectations, I have decided to cooperate with Avon's "Goodby to Breast Cancer (pink ribbon)" activities.

Here is one story to give you hope.

Breast cancer is the only cancer that you can self detect at an early stage.

For early detection, I recommend you to self-examination and to have clinical breast exams.

And part of sales of Avon lipstick with my signature engraved will be subvention for breast cancer examination.

Please be concerned of breast cancer.

Protect women from breast cancer with everyone's support.

This is a wish from Bae Yong Joon.

[VOD+Trans] Avon Japan, pink ribbon special site

Translated and posted by tomato99 in BYJ's Quilt

avonMessage.JPG

http://www.avon.co.jp/byj/byj/message.asp

Bae Yong Joon's message VOD

Mr. Bae Yong Joon's feelings for "pink ribbon" activities on message VOD

Mr. Bae Yong Joon is famous for his active contribution to social activities. This time, Mr. Bae Yong Joon has decided to join Avon's "pink ribbon" activities based on his firm resolution. The reason he joined the campaign, how he feels about the situation that many women do not get check ups for breast cancer on regular basis, he frankly comments on these questions. This message VOD shows Mr. Bae Yong Joon's personality and very warm kindness. By watching this Mr. Bae Yong Joon's message and remember the importance of early detection and early treatment of breast cancer.

Moreover, we hope that it will help you rethink about health of yourself, your family and your friends. We wish the pink ribbon circle will widen more .

AVON & Bae Yong Joon

[Translation to VOD]

Narration: Avon's goal is to be number one company to support women, it has launched "Goodbye to breast cancer" campaign in 1993 in USA. Since then, we have done many activities to raise awareness for early detection of breast cancer. And the sale of fundraising products has exceed 37billion yen, which has been used for awareness of early detection of breast cancer or its research.

In Japan, "goodbye to breast cancer" campaign started in 2002, where we have appealed importance of early detection of breast cancer through many activities.

In 2005, Avon will be selling fundraising signed lipstick for the first time in world. The signed lipstick of one celebrity.

That someone is, Bae Yong Joon.

BYJ:Japanese family, hello, I am Bae Yong Joon.

Question: Why did you decide to anticipate in Avon's campaign for early detection of breast cancer?

BYJ: The purpose of this campaign is very meaningful, so I have decided to take part in it.

I sympathize with Avon's aggressive activities to support women's health.

I am very happy to take part in such wonderful activity.

Question: What do you think of the fact that many women are not aware of importance of early detection of breast cancer?

BYJ: It is really sad to know the fact. I have heard that you can cure breast cancer at high possibility when it is detected at an early stage. It is really pity to know that you miss the timing for treatment,

it must be very painful to go through such torture. It is heartbreaking. Many people are very busy everyday and tend to forget about your health. Through this Avon campaign, I wish everyone will have a little more concern for their health, and I wish everyones life will be more healthy and beautiful.

Question:What do you think of becoming first celebrity to join Avon's campaign?

BYJ:I think my role is to lead many people's interest in this campaign, so that many women could show their concern for their health, and be healthy, I think that is the meaning of accepting this role.

Question: Can you send your message to Japanese fans?

BYJ: To all family, please support this campaign so that all women could be more happy.

This has become a good opportunity for me to rethink about my own health. I hope everyone is more concerned about their own health, and that our "family" will not meet unhappy situation. Please always stay healthy.

Narration: This autumn, Avon is selling lipsticks with Bae Yong Joon's signature. With purchase of 1 lipstick, JPY 70 will be donated to ¡°Goodbye to breast cancer¡± campaign.

message on screen: Avon's "Goodbye to breast cancer" campaign started in Japan from September 2002. Campaign have organized and supported various events to enlighten breast cancer. With sales of special fund raising pink ribbon products, Avon have collected JPY 83million in three years at end of 2004. Donation collected are used to support installation of mammography vehicles all over the country through Japan Cancer Society, and also to educate doctors and specialists who participate in early detection of breast cancer through Japan Society for Breast Health. With this new product, Avon aims to sum up the donation total to JPY 100million this year.