Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

^ Thanks Huang for the latest pics of KHS. She's been under the radar for quite awhile, huh.

I wonder what happened to 'Modern Boy' premiere & release.. it's so quiet suddenly.. has it been re-scheduled for fall instead? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^ WOW! Kim Hye Soo looks FABULOUS!

Thanks Huang for the update & great photos! Finally, Modern Boy is making some noise! :lol:

I sure hope KHS would be in IRIS.. with LBH.. I'm hoping for Gong Hyo Jin and Kim Hye Soo.. all the other ladies are busy with their ongoing pojects. :rolleyes:

August 28, 2008

'Modern Boy' paints a colorful story

Director Jung Ji-woo's historical drama "Modern Boy" promises to be a real highlight of this year's film calendar.

Set in 1937 Gyeongseong (old Seoul) when Korea was under Japanese occupation, it follows the story of Lee Hae-myung (played by Park Hae-il), a Korean civil servant with an extravagant lifestyle and a dress sense to match. As a self-proclaimed romanticist, his liberal approach to life defies the oppression and economic depression of the time, hence the film's title.

200808280013.jpg

However, all is changed as he falls in love with the enchanting Cho Nan-sil (Kim Hye-soo), a mysterious bar-performer who proves to be a lot more than meets the eye. Lee Hae-myung suddenly finds that he is pit against the grand forces of history in a fight for his love. On his choice of setting, director Jung Ji-woo said that "it was an era wrought with economic trouble but still incredibly rich in culture, I thought it would provide a great setting for a movie," in the opening press conference at Apgujeong CGV on Wednesday.

"Modern Boy" stays true to the sageuk genre (Korean historical drama) with characteristic emphasis on its setting, recreating the intricate details of 1930s Gyeongseong from scratch. From suspended paper streetlights to historical sites like the Gyeongseong station and Sungnyemun, no expenses were spared in bringing the period to life in full color. This attention to detail is bound to mesmerize the audience with the depiction of a vibrant, passionate Gyeongseong, a place that lingers in the history books only through black and white photos as a difficult period of Korean history.

Two years in the making, Jung was full of pride for his film and praise for his actors. He said they were "a pleasure to work with" and that "the film will be worth seeing for their captivating performances alone."

Due for release on Oct. 2, "Modern Boy" looks to set the screens alight with all the color and passion of autumn.

By Han Sung-joo (sungjoohan@hotmail.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/

August 28, 2008

'Modern Boy' Opens in October

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

080828_p10_modern.jpg

Director Jung Ji-woo, center, actor Park Hae-il, left, and Kim Hye-soo

pose during the promotional event for “Modern Boy” in a Seoul theater, Wednesday. / Yonhap

After six years in the making and a release date postponed by months, Jung Ji-woo's ambitious period drama "Modern Boy," starring hot actors Park Hae-il and Kim Hye-soo, will open in theaters in October. The press gathered to catch the film's first promotional event held Wednesday in a Seoul theater.

The critically acclaimed director of "Happy End" (starring "Old Boy" hero Choi Min-sik and "Secret Sunshine" heroine Jeon Do-yeon) brings a dramatic love story set in 1930s Gyeongseong or old Seoul, when Korea was under Japanese colonization (1910-45). With years of pre-production for the period detail, the film also utilizes the most blue screen shoots for computer graphics imagery(CGI) used in a Korean movie.

"In trying to recreate the period, I realized how little remains of the past because Korea was so focused on economic development," the director told reporters. The film resurrects via CGI the recently burnt down Sungnyemun and other landmarks. "Unlike the black and white documentaries we're familiar with, 1930s Gyeonseong was a thoroughly modern city, very colorful with neon lights," he said, explaining that while it was a time of tragedy, it was also very dynamic with culture thriving and modernization in full gear.

Like recent success "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," which is set in the 1940s, this particular period, which had in the past been the subject of depressing documentaries, becomes a backdrop for crafting rich, exciting drama.

"The point here is not making a story about the colonial era but taking a character who could well exist in 2008 and displacing him in the past,'' he said. Park plays the role of a "modern boy," a suave, rich young man who is unaffected by the fact his country was colonized. With his Japanese best friend, he struts around with his fashionable perm and customized linen suits, womanizing while flirting with a civil servant position. One day, however, he becomes mesmerized by a sexy singer/dancer (Kim), and becomes implicated in this mysterious woman's schemes to bomb a building.

The reputed male lead from "Rules of Dating" and "Paradise Murdered" said he took a contemporary approach to his character. "I felt rather overwhelmed about playing a character in another time," said the 31-year-old actor. But he understood his character as being today's equivalent of a couture wear sporting hedonist living in the rich neighborhoods of Gangnam (southern Seoul). "He just wants to be happy but was born in the wrong era," he said.

It's no surprise that Kim, Korea's ultimate sex symbol, plays a femme fatale. But the 37-year-old actress from "Tazza: The High Rollers" said that sex appeal doesn't define her character, who has at least nine identities from singer and dancer to fashion designer. "She's a very talented woman who lived ahead of her time," she said.

Kim sings in Korean, Japanese and English and swings to jazz music. She said the months of preparation were physically enervating yet spiritually invigorating. "It was a life changing experience both personally and professionally," she said with a smile. The screen beauty also revealed that she had been long interested in the film even before she was cast. "I read about the movie in a magazine and was captivated by a photo they used of a singer from the era," she said.

Throughout the press conference, Kim and Park did not hesitate to compliment each other. The director added that the film would be worth watching just to see the chemistry between two of the most talented actors in Korea.

In theaters Oct. 2. Distributed by CJ Entertainment.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../141_30181.html

OST album for Modern Boy. All 4 are her songs.

07000014269.jpg

http://listen.daum.net/info/albuminfo.asp?...mp;albumNo=4269

http://daumbgm.nefficient.co.kr/mgbdamu/A0...00142696401.wma

http://daumbgm.nefficient.co.kr/mgbdamu/A0...00142696402.wma

http://daumbgm.nefficient.co.kr/mgbdamu/A0...00142696403.wma

http://daumbgm.nefficient.co.kr/mgbdamu/A0...00142696404.wma

01 색채의 블루스 (Shikisai No Blues) - 김혜수

02 Why Don't You Do Right? - 김혜수

03 개여울 (Korean Ver.) - 김혜수

04 개여울 (Japanese Ver.) - 김혜수

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

October 23, 2008

Kim Hye-soo to Grace the Asiana Festival

200810230001_00.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo speaks at a press conference

for the 6th Asiana International Short Film Festival last Tuesday

A press conference for the 6th Asiana International Short Film Festival was held last Tuesday morning at the Kumho Art Hall in Gwanghwamun, downtown Seoul. Present were actor and festival director Ahn Sung-ki, film director Yoon Jong-chan, festival programmer Lee Joo-yeon, actress Kim Hye-soo and actor Chung Bo-hoon.

A total of 1,734 films from 69 countries have been submitted to this year’s event. “Although more films were submitted this year than last, we had to reduce the number to be screened during the festival due to time restraints,” said Lee Joo-yeon.

Kim Hye-soo, one of Korea’s top actresses, was notably appointed as a special member of the jury. Kim has appeared in some 20 movies since her 1986 debut with “Ggambo” to her most recent release, this year’s “Modern Boy.”

“I graduated from university one year later than my fellow students, mainly due to the fact that I was working in the film industry while I was attending classes. Another reason is that I wasn’t the most conscientious student. The only thing I loved as a film major student was to watch films. As a huge fan of short films, I will do my best to discover actors with great potential through watching many good short films,” said Kim.

One of the noteworthy aspects of the festival is its showcase of films selected for in-flight entertainment schedules. In order to seek alternative ways to distribute films, each year the organizing committee chooses about ten films in competition to screen during Asiana’s international flights until June of the following year.

The 6th Asiana International Short Film Festival will be held from Nov. 5 through 10 in Cinecube in Gwanghwamun, Seoul. For further information, refer to the festival’s website, www.aisff.org.

Credits: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0810230001.html

Guest mandalaywith

HongKong TVB8 Korean Super Star Diary Preview 2 vod in Kim Hye Soo is come.

This program is every saturday TVb8 in come

This week Star Diary Star is kim Hye Soo come.Next Week is HyunBin.

if Tvb8 in come, i will captures vod,update share here.wait.

HongKong TVB8 Korean Super Star Diary Preview 2

vod is go to watch in my blog

http://blog.daum.net/mandalaywith/17948543

This week Star Diary Vod now i edit.after i will share herewait. :rolleyes: