Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

[Interview] Ji Chang-wook, "Eating cup noodles in a PC room is the best"

photo816604.jpg

"I go to the neighborhood traditional bar these days. I love it there and I can warm up. I don't cover up my face. I don't care if people see me".

Actor Ji Chang-wook looked very excited about the release of his new movie "Fabricated City". He claims he is so anxious that he can't sleep and was smiling all the time. "Fabricated City" is another action genre for the actor and he says he's 'got a good feeling'.

"I have never chosen a drama or a movie because it is action. Everything has a merit of its own and they just happened to be action. "Fabricated City" is based on criminal action and games so that's what attracted me. Director Park Gwang-hyeon's unique movie color is what attracted me. I find myself depending a lot on the director".

"Fabricated City" is a criminal action movie about a man who is manipulated as a murderer in just 3 minutes and 16 seconds, making a counterattack. Ji Chang-wook plays Kwon Yoo, a jobless loser who is framed for raping and murdering an underage teenager. He struggles to find out the truth with his game members and fights against mighty power. Thanks to his previous work, action is now one of his most successful genres. However, 'imaginary action' caught him off guard. "There's some CG and chroma-key in the movie which required me to do 'imaginary action'. For example would be, seeing my dead mother in prison or listening to sound using rice and fighting with the bad guys. I was curious how they would turn out on the screen and it turned out better than I expected".

photo816605.jpg

At first, Ji Chang-wook's character appears as a loser without a job who plays computer games all day. His eyes are fixed on the computer screen and eats cup noodles without even taking his eyes off. "It wasn't awkward going to the PC room. I used to go there all the time with my friends as a teenager. I was like Kwon Yoo. When I go to the PC room sometimes I go in shabby clothes without even washing my face. Eating cup noodles there is so delicious, there's nothing like it".

"Fabricated City" was a lonely one for Ji Chang-wook. He was all alone in the PC room playing games when he was taken all alone to prison and locked up in a single cell. He was always on the run after that. He claims he was excited when he saw his co-actors like Ahn Jae-hong and Sim Eun-kyeong for the first time on set. However, Sim Eun-kyeong had said before that she felt awkward with Ji Chang-wook. Ji Chang-wook explained, "We didn't have time to get close. We meet through a game in the movie and we never really saw each other in person much. Sim Eun-kyeong is also not a very talkative person so I thought she was trying to stay focused on her role. It just turns out that she was shy. It's disappointing that we didn't get to know each other more".

photo816606.jpg

"Fabricated City" was actually filmed in 2015. However, the release date was set for after "The K2" and the continued 'manly' character could have bored the audience. Ji Chang-wook thought differently. "I didn't think much for having a 'fixed image'. They are completely different types of work and this isn't the end. Doing something new all the time isn't an easy thing to do and I only want to focus on what I do best. I do however, want to try something I've never done before because as I filmed "The K2", I told myself I would stay away from action for a while. I would like to try romantic comedy or thrillers. I wish I had more experience, but at the same time I'm glad because the moment someone thinks he's good at something he becomes lazy".

Park Gwang-hyeon wrote the scenario 3 years ago but the movie only seemed appropriate for today. Recent social issues would help the movie to relate to the audience better. Ji Chang-wook said, "We filmed it in 2015 but the movie seemed appropriate for today. It may seem very likely to reality and it looks like reality caught up with the movie instead of the other way around. The movie is about regular people standing up against people who use their power in bad ways but it's not that pressurizing".

Ji Chang-wook is sure of what he wants. He may seem joking and playful at once but when he becomes serious, he's serious. He's very philosophical. At the end of the interview, he explained a conversation he recently had with his friends. "Kim Rae-won and I recently had a debate about what a good actor is. "Is a good person a good actor?" If someone is a bad person but is good in acting, does that make that person a good actor? We didn't come to a conclusion. Being a good person doesn't mean her or she is a good actor. Likewise, a good person but a bad actor can't be a good actor. It's extreme and we don't know the answer. I guess we have to come to an agreement halfway. I want to be a good person and a good actor".

• Like 3

*** So NICE to know that LJK is supporting him. :lol:

Lee Joon-ki supports Ji Chang-wook in "Fabricated City"

photo816591.jpg

Lee Joon-ki supported Ji Chang-wook's "Fabricated City".

He posted a picture on his Instagram with words supporting the movie and patting Ji Chang-wook on the back for a job well done.

The pictures are from the VIP Premiere of the movie "Fabricated City" and Sim Eun-kyeong, Ji Chang-wook, Ahn Jae-hong and others are on stage.

"Fabricated City" is a criminal action movie about a man who is manipulated as a murderer in just 3 minutes and 16 seconds, making a counterattack.

Lee Joon-ki is currently starring in the Hollywood movie "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter" as Commander Lee, who is in opposition with Alice (Milla Jovovich).

photo816592.jpg

Source : www.xportsnews.com/?a...

Translation : Hancinema

• Like 1

(Yonhap Interview) 'Fabricated City' director says he wanted to make film full of youthful sensibilities

By Shim Sun-ah and Cho Jae-young

SEOUL, Feb. 6 (Yonhap) -- Many raised their eyebrows when director Park Kwang-hyun first unveiled a plan years ago to make a crime-action thriller with a computer gaming theme.

(skipped unrelated.....)

When he cast Ji, who had no experience in film before, for the main character Gwon-yu, everyone around him called it a "reckless" choice.

"Some even said I lost my sense of casting after 10 years away from the film scene," Park recalled. "I scanned photos of all top-tier actors after finishing the film's screenplay but couldn't find the best match for the role."

"Ji, however, had the phases of a boy, a macho man, an action star and a soft-minded man in his face, so I persuaded investors."

credit : Yonhap News

• Like 1

[Instagram Update] 7 February 2017

저 지금 생방송 하고있어요 :heart: #배우what수다 #조작된도시 #박경림 #지창욱 #무비채널 #v앱 #네이버

I’m now doing a live broadcast :heart:  #Actor and Chatter #Fabricated City #Park Kyung Lim #Ji Chang Wook #movie channel #V App #Naver

• Like 2

[Movie] Ji Chang Wook at “Fabricated City” Star Live Talk and Vapp talk show

201702072145175518475_20170207214847_01_20170207215005781

Ji Chang Wook was once again busy with “Fabricated City” promotions last night (7 February), appearing on a live talk show and then at a Star Live Talk event on stage. 

The Star Live Talk, which was held at CGV Apgujeong cinema at 7.30pm KST, was attended by Director Park Gwang Hyun and co-stars Oh Jung Se and Kim Sang Ho. The event was also screened live at several cinemas across Seoul at the same time.

Vapp “Actor and Chatter” talk show

Prior to the event, Ji Chang Wook also appeared as the first guest on a “Actor and Chatter” talk show series that was broadcast live on Vapp. The interview was held in an attic, to which Ji Chang Wook said he felt nervous coming to such a place for the first time, but he also felt happy to have the honour of being the first guest to appear on this show.

The emcee, comedian Park Kyung Lim, then brought up the kiss scene he had with YoonA in an attic in the drama “The K2”. He said, “It was dawn at that time. We filmed it when both of us were feeling tired. My condition now is good.”

He was generous with his fan service and posed with various kinds of facial expressions for fans; he even demonstrated his singing ability on the show.

Asked about his recent appearance on “Yoo Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook”, he said “I was extremely nervous. I can sing better usually, but I couldn’t sing well because I was nervous.”

More news and pictures here:  https://jichangwookkitchen.com/2017/02/08/movie-ji-chang-wook-at-fabricated-city-star-live-talk-and-vapp-talk-show/

• Like 3

Ji Chang Wook Looks Back On How He’s Changed Over The Years

Ji Chang Wook

With age comes wisdom!

The actor was the first guest on a new V Live broadcast called “What Actor Talk,” where he talked about his life and participated in a variety of corners.

During the show, Ji Chang wook looked back on when he was younger, and revealed that he actually wasn’t aware of his looks during his school years. “I wasn’t very stylish, and I learned how to dress nicely through work[ing as an actor]…I used to be more plump when I was younger. I had chubby cheeks, but a thinner body. I lost a lot of my baby fat [as I grew up].”

Park Kyung Lim Ji Chang Wook

Now in his 30s, the actor also noted the main change he’s seen in himself. “My 20s were a youthful era when I never looked back and dashed straight forward, [defined] by passion and inflated dreams. In my 30s, I’ve become more relaxed,” he explained.

Ji Chang Wook also had a word of advice to all the students who may be feeling lost about their future. He expressed his hope that everyone would do what they love, and explained that he was obsessed with only getting good grades when he was a student because he didn’t know what his dream was. “Studying is one thing, but it’s important to think about what it is you really want to do. I’m very happy now to be doing something I love,” Ji Chang Wook stated.

Meanwhile, his first film as a lead, “Fabricated City,” will premiere in South Korean theaters on February 9.

Source:  Xports News

• Like 2

Hong Jin Young sings 'Loves Me, Loves Me Not" OST for 'Fabricated City':

The OST sounds great! I think Shim Eun Kyung and JCW look very good together on screen. The music video somehow reminds me of the car chase scene in 'The K2' (Do you see some similarities?) .  I hope this movie will become a huge hit! :)

[INTERVIEW] Ji Chang-wook shows tough side in 'Fabricated City'

K2017020800148-740.jpg

By Kim Jae-heun

It has been nine years since actor Ji Chang-wook, 30, debuted on TV, but "Fabricated City" (2017) is his first starring movie role. Ji has preferred to appear in TV dramas rather than films and his previous movie roles have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Still, he has made the jump to the silver screen to continue his action scenes as an unemployed man falsely accused of murder when he accidently appears at a crime scene. Ji realizes he has been trapped by somebody and forms a team with his friends to find the truth.

Q. You are loved for your sweet image but appear as a fighter in almost all your works. Is there a reason?

A. I am not sure. I never chose to star in any TV dramas or movies because they were action. In the soap opera "The K2," I took the role as a bodyguard, but my character was mostly seen as an honest lover who supports his woman secretly. In the action romance "Healer," I focused more on the fantasy that my character owned, who fights against the men in power. Well, it seems like I have appeared in many action scenes but it was not intended.

Q. How do you feel about your film debut?

A. I watched the final version of "Fabricated City" at the press invitation and it really felt strange watching myself on the big screen. My palms were sweating. After the movie finished, people asked me many questions but I could not answer properly.

Well, my review on my film cannot be subjective, but I say it was a different tone in the film. It was not ordinary. I think audiences can watch it without thinking too much although it talks about a heavy subject. The film develops the story easily and there are many comedic scenes that audiences can find fresh and joyful.

Q. What was the most difficult scene while shooting the film?

A. The whole thing was difficult, physically and mentally. I can say that the scene where I was imprisoned was mentally the hardest. I have never been to jail but certainly there was an uneasy atmosphere that suppressed me since I arrived on set by bus. I instantly felt gloomy staying alone in the jail cell and getting beat up on the ground plus eating on the icy stone floor were all difficult.

Q. What did you focus on mostly in playing the role?

A. I focused mainly on the situation that my character was involved in. I put myself in the shoes of myself as Ji Chang-wook rather than my character Kwon-yoo, asking how I would feel if I am beat up in prison and how scary it would be.

Q. You will be enlisted in the army this year.

A. Yes. I should have served my time earlier but I was busy as I was fortunate with my previous TV dramas. Before, many actors had a hard time coming back to acting after military service but now things have changed. People wait for their celebrities and you are not forgotten.

I think I will appear in one more TV drama before I go, but nothing has been set yet.

Q. What role do you want to play in the future?

A. I want to portray a comedic role. There are three things that I consider when I choose a TV drama or film. Whether the script is joyful, if the character has charm and whether I can play the character well. I think I want to try being a super rich character too in the future.

source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2017/02/689_223539.html

• Like 3

6 hours ago, nploan said:

The OST sounds great! I think Shim Eun Kyung and JCW look very good together on screen. The music video somehow reminds me of the car chase scene in 'The K2' (Do you see some similarities?) .  I hope this movie will become a huge hit! :)

Hi nploan, thanks for sharing the clip. I do agree with you - it sounds great. And that car chase scene, right you are that there's a similarity from his drama, "TK2".Like you, I also hope that this movie will be a box-office HIT!  Also, I really hope we could get to see him in a drama before he goes into the military. As what he said, I want to see him playing a super rich character, too! :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's exciting to hear that he wants to play a super rich character. Is that what he wanted to do in mini-drama '7 First Kiss' but got rejected? Actually in the past he had a chance to play a chaebol already (Five Fingers) . However that role was a villain and not comical .  I think JCW's image is really suitable to play a handsome humorous chaebol . 

I saw some reviews on Facebook , they said the movie is great . The action scenes were beautiful. The story is also very touching. The beating scenes in the prison were brutal. His character suffers a lot but it's happy ending. :) They all love the movie and it's really worth watching!

17 hours ago, nploan said:

Not to be a contrarian, but a trot song in an action movie?  I'm not thrilled (a) that a love song would be featured on the OST; and (2) I was really hoping for no love line in this flick, as those stories take away from the actual storyline intended.  Ramming a purported love story into FabCity seems quite forced and unnatural, IMHO.

• Like 3

This is an action crime movie. People said it's really painful to watch the scenes that JCW got beaten in prison. Based on their reviews, something happened to JCW in prison is  quite darker than I can even imagine :wacko:. So this movie is #1 in the top box office in Korea so far. That's awesome! JCW and the whole team must be happy now. I hope it will be able to keep the top spot for a long time. 

• Like 1

@nploan I am looking forward to watching wookie in his new movie (the struggle of an international fan). How was the reviews so far? Good?

I'm especially happy that FC is Number one. He deserves all the attention and love before he leaves for the army. I have been following this thread and twitter to get news and updates.
Thank you @cherkell for the good news. Hoping for more to come.

• Like 2