[Drama 2015] Bird That Doesn't Cry 울지 않는 새

joy17

@valsava - I really appreciate the reminder! I stumbled onto this thread shortly after you started it on the old forum, but then forgot about it. I usually have a hard time watching serious revenge dramas because the lead characters tend to get beaten up badly, and the revenge part is rarely satisfying. This one looks promising though. I like the lead actresses, and this writer has shown that they can write a good story. 

I imagine there's probably no hope for English subs, but I'm planning to give it a shot anyway. :)

​@ina111, The writer who wrote yellow boots wrote this drama so we can say yellow boots was a hit out the park and got subbed to so hopefully this writer has knock this one out of the park to and it will get subbed.. So my finger are crossed that this one will be the #1 daily airing.. First episode starts today..  

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​@sang,  No this is no tear jerker this is a revenge drama.. Just my cup of tea..  

@hanyeoun,  Thanks for moving the everything over to the temp thread and also the live links..

@LdyGmerm,@awsparkle,@tinatrix236,@Jadecloud,The live links to TVN is posted above in hanyeoun post..They both works 

​@valsava Thanks for the shoutout and the trailer. It looks GOOOD! I'm gonna read up about it m/w.

So...  OH is the baddie in this one and Hong the revenge seeker...interesting. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Hong but I love Oh. So for Oh, I'll keep an eye on it.

I didn't watch Yellow Boots cos it was very long. But I'd like to try it since many say it is good. Can you give me the link? Or is it at MAT?

​@valsava Thanks for the shoutout and the trailer. It looks GOOOD! I'm gonna read up about it m/w.

So...  OH is the baddie in this one and Hong the revenge seeker...interesting. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Hong but I love Oh. So for Oh, I'll keep an eye on it.

I didn't watch Yellow Boots cos it was very long. But I'd like to try it since many say it is good. Can you give me the link? Or is it at MAT?

Hello @jadecloud,  You can find it on just about all the sites subbed to just type it in on your toolbar or DF and hulu both have it 

Hello @jadecloud,  You can find it on just about all the sites subbed to just type it in on your toolbar or DF and hulu both have it 

​Thank you dear :) DF sounds good for me...no ads:D Gonna check YB out during summer vacay ....

I loved first episode and hope it gets better. I have a question... Did MJ run off with her husband's money? I would like to understand what happened with the business.

​@tinatrix236,  I also watch the first episode and couldn't tell what was going on it was to much happening in one episode for me to grasp everything.. Also it seems she came back with two kids the girl looks like the child from before but were did the boy come from but this drama is interesting so I need more episode and then I'll watch them all in one go.. But have have to watch two tonight..   Did the links work for you.?   

Guest ina111

I didn't expect it would be an hour long pilot. I agree, a lot happened. 

@tinatrix236 If I understood what I read correctly, I think the problem with ONG's and CMJ's company was that there were harmful ingredients found in the imported cosmetics, and ONG decided to take the responsibility for it. I'm guessing the business wasn't doing so well even before this incident. I think CMJ ran off with their money as well as money from that association whose meeting she attended. This is why that other woman (not sure about her name) was so frantically looking for CMJ and yelling at CMJ's husband and brother. I think the amount the woman mentioned was 40 billion won. :o 

@valsava I'm not sure which kid you are referring to. CMJ has three children. At the the time CMJ ran away, the oldest daughter was 17, the middle son 11, and she was pregnant with the youngest daughter. 

Wow, just finished watching the first episode, and it was great!  I love it when the plot moves fast like this. :)

@tinatrix236 She ran off with their money, and with the investment money she got when her friends introduced her to wealthy wives. Worst part is, with that investment money she had enough to save her husband's company.

---

Here's what I understood from the first episode. Keep in my mind there might be some inaccuracies, i only watched the episode once, and I don't remember all the names and faces yet.

(I'm using the characters names from http://mydramalist.com/13936-bird-that-doesnt-cry/cast )

Episode starts with OHN (our lead, played by Hong Ah Reum) mourning the death of her mother HSY. She lives with her grandmother, her stepfather ONG, and her stepsister OYM. Then the police barges in, and arrest ONG for the murder of his wife HSY, a cosmetic company president.

We go back 7 years in time.

OHN is in high school, she lives with her mother HSY, her (real) father HNB and her grandmother.

Her father HNB is a helicopter pilot, who tells his boss he cannot fly due to bad weather. But the boss is an a**hole, who insists and finally gets his way. The boss is planning to bribe a congressman with "apple boxes" full of money he just put inside the helicopter. Turns out that this congressman, PDJ, just had to rush to the hospital due to his wife JHW's condition. He didn't want anything to do with the a**hole's company, but when they offer him a helicopter ride to an important rally for his reelection, he accepts their offer, and leaves his wife with their son PSS. Later, we also see PSS's sister, PSH.
But as it turns out, the congressman never gets his ride, since the helicopter crashes and HNB dies.

HNB's family learns about his death, and after much crying, they bury him. Well, burn him actually. HSY's employee LTH helps them with the funeral, we don't see him much in the first episode but he's listed as part of the main cast so I guess he's going to become important. At the funeral, the a**hole shows up, pretending to be nice and offering them money to keep quiet "even though HNB was responsible for the situation and the stain on the company's image". JHW, our congressman's wife also comes, to pay her respects, bringing with her PSS. PSS picks up OHN's handkerchief on the floor.

Now, we are introduced to another family.

ONG is married to CMJ (Oh Hyun Kyung), together they have two children: OYM, a high school girl, and OMG a younger boy. CMJ is expecting a third child.

ONG runs a cosmetic company, that for some reason is about to go bankrupt. (I think CMJ's brother CSC is responsible for the situation, he may have gambled some company money but I can't be sure). With a friend's help and a little bribe, CMJ gets some wealthy wives from an investment club to invest some money in her husband's company. (That's how I understood it.) Then she gets a call about the company's situation and she realizes how bad it is. First, she tries to abort her baby, but she is told it is too late. Then, she convinces her husband to divorce her "only on paper" and grant her the children's parental rights, telling him that if the worst happens, that will protect their children from debt collectors. She then takes all of their money, including the investment money she got from the wealthy wives without her husband knowing about it. She takes her two children, and she goes to the airport. She calls her husband, who just realized she pocketed the investment money and ran away, and she tells him goodbye, saying she won't see him again and she'll raise their kids well. Then she hangs up, and I have to say, CMJ was so shameless it made me laugh. xD  It turns out she only leaves with her son though, since despite her lie that "Daddy will follow us later.", OYM decides to stay in Korea with her dad, saying she'll follow them with him later. ONG goes to the airport to try to stop his wife, but he's arrested by security.

Some time later, OHN is hiking near a cliff, and of course, she almost falls from the cliff. Cause what else could happen to a hiking girl in a kdrama, except maybe sprain her ankle? She screams for help, and ONG appears to save her. (I wonder if he was here to jump?)  .

---

Even though things seem to be moving really fast in this drama, I think we have quite a few episodes left before we catch up with the first scene of the episode. First ONG has to meet OHN's mother, then they have to let go of the past and marry. And then we have to see how CMJ comes back to destroy that happiness. The revenge can only start after that.

My best bet about how the revenge will happen: At some point, JHW will die and CMJ will marry PDJ. Then OHN will try to seduce PSS to get close to CMJ.

Guest ina111

@mudaepo Thank you, your post was very informative and helpful!

If I understood the character descriptions on the official drama site, you're right on about CMJ pushing to marry PDJ. PSS is likely to be helping OHN at this point, because he will become aware of (at least some of) CMJ's crimes by acting as ONG's defense lawyer at his appeal trial. 

@mudaepo,  Thanks for the summary I tell you I like the first episode and yes it was moving very fast that it was hard for me to wrap my head around everything.. I couldn't figure out who was who and what child belong to what person..   

@ina11 .... Thank you!

@mudeapo .... Thank you for the summary.

Wow! CMJ is ruthless and evil. She abandons her husband and daughter without batting an eyelid and moves on to a life of luxury. I'm not sure she even cares about those children at all. She didn't even check on her daughter all those years and just made that poor boy suffer from missing his father and sister. I wonder what made her return to Korea knowing that so many people would be out to get her. From the preview, it seems like she isn't showing any remorse or cares what they think. 

Who is the man she met on the flight to the Philippines? It looks he set up the attack in her home to get her to fall in love with him? Something tells me he may be a con artist out to get her money. It will serve her right.

@ina11 .... Thank you!

@mudeapo .... Thank you for the summary.

Wow! CMJ is ruthless and evil. She abandons her husband and daughter without batting an eyelid and moves on to a life of luxury. I'm not sure she even cares about those children at all. She didn't even check on her daughter all those years and just made that poor boy suffer from missing his father and sister. I wonder what made her return to Korea knowing that so many people would be out to get her. From the preview, it seems like she isn't showing any remorse or cares what they think. 

Who is the man she met on the flight to the Philippines? It looks he set up the attack in her home to get her to fall in love with him? Something tells me he may be a con artist out to get her money. It will serve her right.

​@tinatrix236, I also think he's a con artist and he return to korea was because she may have been jilted out of her money what little she had left from living plush life in a different country and she saw her husband had became a success without her and he and daughter lifes was going fine without her.. I think she's the cause of the company having that harmful ingredient placed in it with the help of he brother.. I think it's CMJ is the one that killed that girls mom and placed blame on her husband to try and claim that company herself remember she has three kids to take care of an she do love the lush life..    I understood more about the second episode then I did the first but I'm liking the two I've seen so far and the plot is moving fast..   

@ina111 Thanks for the character descriptions :)

@tinatrix236 @valsava I'm with you on Steve being a con man. When she met in the plane, I thought he was going to be her next target. Turns out she's his target.^^

One thing is sure: when CMJ comes back to Korea, she's lost most of her money (the 4 billion won she took from the investors and whatever she took from her husband). She flies away in business, and six years later she comes back in coach.

Just three episodes has been shown and I'm already hook on this drama CMR came back to Korea already in trouble with that lady she owes and that woman acts like a thug herself I see why she will end up doing the stuff she did because of greed and wanting to live glamours..    

Just three episodes has been shown and I'm already hook on this drama CMR came back to Korea already in trouble with that lady she owes and that woman acts like a thug herself I see why she will end up doing the stuff she did because of greed and wanting to live glamours..    

​Not only that, but it seems like she's out to destroy her ex yet again. Just what did that poor man ever do to her? She isn't considering the daughter she left behind smh. I noticed in the preview that she seems to have convinced her brother to do something for me. Is that man idiot or what?! 

Brother and sister thick as thieves you can tell she will manipulate him into doing her dirty work he already has start to rob the company to save his sister hide.. I think he maybe the one to kill that girls mom and at the end of the episode she had the gall to show up at the house holding a plate of goodies like she's a neighbor.. I always thought the residence welcome new neighbors not the other way around..  I'm ready for the revenge to start already and we not even at episode 10 LOL

@tinatrix236. Or @mudaepo.  The man and lady that was at the beauty shop is the man the girls father and what was those ladies saying about her and what was he and the wife arguing about in today's episode     

​Not only that, but it seems like she's out to destroy her ex yet again. Just what did that poor man ever do to her? She isn't considering the daughter she left behind smh. I noticed in the preview that she seems to have convinced her brother to do something for me. Is that man idiot or what?! 

​@tinatrix236,  I think there was never any love between her and her husband she used him to take her and her brother out of poverty and being beaten by they father.. 

@valsava When PDJ (the congressman) and JHW (his wife) are at MHG (LTH's mother) 's beauty salon, OHN barges in, and JHW recognizes her. MHG says OHN works with her son and she's known her for a long time. Then she mentions the helicopter accident from 6 years ago, and she says OHN is the dead pilot's daughter. And she keeps talking about the accident: OHN's dad has to fly because his company threatened to fire him, even though it was dangerous...he risked his life and was on his way to pick up someone important...who could this someone be.... PDJ knows he is that someone, so he gets more and more uncomfortable, until he finally leaves....

Later, PDJ confronts his wife at home, and asks her how she recognized OHN, when she only saw her once at the funeral 6 years ago. JHW reveals she has been keeping tabs on her, and she has helped her financially without her knowing about it (I think OHN went to college on a scholarship that was in fact paid by JHW.) PDJ gets angry, he asks her why she would do that when they have no responsibility in the death of OHN's father, a death that was just an accident. Not only he is angry at JHW for her involvement in OHN's life (if it were found out that he was linked to the helicopter crash, his political career would be over), but he is also angry at her for trying to make him feel guilty, by doing those things.

CMJ is pretty great at getting her brother CSC to help her. She gives him a lot of good arguments to do as she says.:

-> His screw-up caused the bankruptcy of their company, so he is responsible for everything that has happened, including her divorce.

-> She always helped him, she took their father's beating in his stead, her money sent him to college.

-> If he doesn't help her, she's dead.

-> He needs to help his poor nephew and niece.

Now at this point, a smart person would probably go and tell ONG the truth about CMJ's reappearance, and ask for his help, instead of stealing money behind his back. But clearly, CSC has never been the brightest bulb on the porch, so he decides to follow CMJ's orders. I don't think he will end up being HSY's murderer though, he doesn't have enough guts to do it, and he appears to like her a lot, and feel really grateful towards her. I would rather put my money on CMJ for the murder. But CSC is certainly going to be part of the framing of ONG: the money he stole from the company by forging ONG's signature is the perfect motive that will explain ONG murdering his wife.

@valsava When PDJ (the congressman) and JHW (his wife) are at MHG (LTH's mother) 's beauty salon, OHN barges in, and JHW recognizes her. MHG says OHN works with her son and she's known her for a long time. Then she mentions the helicopter accident from 6 years ago, and she says OHN is the dead pilot's daughter. And she keeps talking about the accident: OHN's dad has to fly because his company threatened to fire him, even though it was dangerous...he risked his life and was on his way to pick up someone important...who could this someone be.... PDJ knows he is that someone, so he gets more and more uncomfortable, until he finally leaves....

Later, PDJ confronts his wife at home, and asks her how she recognized OHN, when she only saw her once at the funeral 6 years ago. JHW reveals she has been keeping tabs on her, and she has helped her financially without her knowing about it (I think OHN went to college on a scholarship that was in fact paid by JHW.) PDJ gets angry, he asks her why she would do that when they have no responsibility in the death of OHN's father, a death that was just an accident. Not only he is angry at JHW for her involvement in OHN's life (if it were found out that he was linked to the helicopter crash, his political career would be over), but he is also angry at her for trying to make him feel guilty, by doing those things.

CMJ is pretty great at getting her brother CSC to help her. She gives him a lot of good arguments to do as she says.:

-> His screw-up caused the bankruptcy of their company, so he is responsible for everything that has happened, including her divorce.

-> She always helped him, she took their father's beating in his stead, her money sent him to college.

-> If he doesn't help her, she's dead.

-> He needs to help his poor nephew and niece.

Now at this point, a smart person would probably go and tell ONG the truth about CMJ's reappearance, and ask for his help, instead of stealing money behind his back. But clearly, CSC has never been the brightest bulb on the porch, so he decides to follow CMJ's orders. I don't think he will end up being HSY's murderer though, he doesn't have enough guts to do it, and he appears to like her a lot, and feel really grateful towards her. I would rather put my money on CMJ for the murder. But CSC is certainly going to be part of the framing of ONG: the money he stole from the company by forging ONG's signature is the perfect motive that will explain ONG murdering his wife.

​@mudaepo,  Thank you.  This drama is certainly interesting and keeps you at attention I'm to scared to walk away from it for a minute scared I night miss and important part but I ca't see her CSC letting his sister destroy that company completely.. I think CMR aim is to take that company over with the help of her brother..    

It's sad how that evil woman gas turned her own son against his dad and even starting finding ways to bring her daughter back to her side so she has to kill HAR mom and frame her EX for it I think she may have used her brother to do it they all seems to afraid of the crazy greedy and yet his daughter still hasn't told her dad that she's back.. I'm still trying to figure out how she got the money to move in the same building as them..   , 

Archived