[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

On Saturday, February 06, 2016 at 6:48 PM, missyeun said:

It would have been better if they had given more to Junghwan, more screentime so everyone would have been satisfied. I was little disappointed to see less of Junghwan on final episode!! No matter what he is the main heartbreaker of this drama!!!

Chat with other Answer Me 1988 lovers on Gabber! http://bit.ly/20yE40L

I think you have to understand that this story is about Deok Sun, not any of the boys. Reply 1988 is about a 45 years old Deok Sun who was doing an interview in2015/16 about her OWN youth & adolescent years.The story follows DS's life in her late teens into adulthood. How for the first time the awaken of her feeling for a boy. Her first love or so she believe at the time, though it amused her now to think back that she actually fall for her future brother in law because of the confusion made by her friends. Then once again the story follows on her 2nd crush, again influenced by her friends. Although this time they got it right, somehow, the boy,  JH has some issue with himself that ruin his chances with DS even before TK comes into the scene, even more after TK's confession. Until finally DS was advice to look deeply into her heart & figure out who she really loves instead of who likes her first, &  thanks to their wise neighbourhood counsellor, DS finally figure where her heart truly belongs. So its not a matter of JH, TK, SW, DR, JB or BR airtime, who gets more or less, its about DS & it justified that she has the most airtime. 

Also abt the JH & DR ending, how can DS 2015  talk abt their love lives since  its not her place to talk abt it.  She can talk abt SW's love life because he marries her sister & she herself marries his step brother, so they are family & still part of her life. Though DS most probably still in contact JH & DR, they're no longer part of her life.  

tumblr_o12rqhP56L1tzo22io1_1280.jpg    

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are really people who love to argue with other peOple's opinion, but when others disagree about their opinion, they do not know how to listen....sigh TT TT...I'm not an active User here in MT because of that exact reason...

I'm not the type to post a very long theory or should i say very longgggggggg thesis on how the world was created ( you know what i mean) or whatever...because it is literally Un necessary..and last...i'm a very busy person...so i dont hve enough time to spazz here and read all those thesis of the evolution of the world...3 weeks had passed and this thread is exactly the same as before...sigh..

that is all..i need to go.

Edit: i knw some will react in what i have said..sorry if i can not respond anymore...i have Four meetings today..and i'm literally busy for the next days....okbye

Sunny Sung Deoksun's smile progression.

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko1_500.gif

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko7_r1_500.gif

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko3_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko4_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko5_500.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o264faZsCj1tulljko6_500.gif

Isn't it interesting the way Deoksun's smile progressed for Taekie. From the the cheery grins she lovingly gave him to shy, demure and girl-in-love smiles. I don't know why people never mentioned this before, maybe people overlooked it or ignored it entirely. Who knows. 

I think it's sad that some people weren't rooting for Deoksun's happiness. I particularly like her the most among the three reply main girls. She wasn't smart, rich, strong, independent, confident or passionate about something. She was insecure half the time, however, she was optimistic about life and that's the beauty of her character. How can you not root for that kind female lead. Korean dramas sorely lack women who can overshadow the male leads - Deoksun was a force to be reckoned with and she was able to outshine all the male characters. I'm quite confused why people overlooked her and didn't respect her choices. We can all agree that Deoksun is a good girl who isn't selfish, mean, heartless or any hidden agendas and as a female dominated community, shouldn't we support the girl the most?

To quote a popular post in tumblr about women:

Screw writing “strong” women. Write interesting women. Write well-rounded women. Write complicated women. Write a woman who kicks richard simmons, write a woman who cowers in a corner. Write a woman who’s desperate for a husband. Write a woman who doesn’t need a man. Write women who cry, women who rant, women who are shy, women who don’t take no richard simmons, women who need validation and women who don’t care what anybody thinks. [...] Women shouldn’t be valued because we are strong, or kick-richard simmons, but because we are people. So don’t focus on writing characters who are strong. Write characters who are people.

After watching ep14-20 again, the scene in ep17 where she waited for taek had a new meaning to me. That scene had was one of the turning points of Deoksun's arc love-wise - i hope people will not ignore that. From a girl who aggressively approached the guys who her friends said likes her, to a girl who patiently waited for a guy who she realised she loved all on her own. #CHARACTERGROWTH

Hyeri perfectly explained it, let me reiterate it in case some of you missed it out.

Duk Sun did not know Taek liked her. Still, Taek was on her mind. ‘Why isn’t he dressed properly for the cold weather?’ ‘Why can’t he sleep?’ She worried about him. I think they were feelings Duk Sun was not conscious of [sic]. She wanted to take care of him and he kept on appearing in her thoughts and bothering her. Because she had never experienced love, she didn’t know that she liked Taek,” explained Hyeri. “Duk Sun begins to think when Dong Ryong (played by Lee Dong Hwi) asks her ‘who do you love?’ She starts to think, ‘I could be liking that person.’” Hyeri continued.

Source: Soompi

While I have no issues with the "Oppa is so hot even when he is so cold" "Girl is so clumsy but she's still cute" spazzing or similar kind of spazzing we do for the characters/actors we admire. 

I personally LIVE for the analysis and theories and I look forward to reading them in this forum especially the loooong ones even if I don't necessarily agree with them. This is not admittedly a typical k-drama. And this drama with it's tightly woven narrative and brilliant direction, to me WARRANTS a closer look and intellectual discourse on top of discussing the merits of Oppa's sexy abs ...

3 weeks have passed already? WOW! I can't belive it, I should leave this drama and move on in another one, but I can't, I have tryed it but no I can't. There are laughts and tears in my face, and SO MANY QUESTIONS, like: Does anyone exactly what was the reason to récord the "interview"? If a nice person can answer me, please I need to know it.

10 minutes ago, scualquiercosa said:

3 weeks have passed already? WOW! I can't belive it, I should leave this drama and move on in another one, but I can't, I have tryed it but no I can't. There are laughts and tears in my face, and SO MANY QUESTIONS, like: Does anyone exactly what was the reason to récord the "interview"? If a nice person can answer me, please I need to know it.

Hi :D A friend of Bora's wanted to do a documentary about "Youth" and Bora refered that person to DS and TK. So those 2 were interviewed about their life as kids and young adults.

Same here! Reply88, can't quit you :wub:

19 minutes ago, pixiemoondust said:

Hi :D A friend of Bora's wanted to do a documentary about "Youth" and Bora refered that person to DS and TK. So those 2 were interviewed about their life as kids and young adults.

same here with me im re watching again the drama for the nth time,, i really cant let them go :bawling:

1 hour ago, pixiemoondust said:

Oh really? Thank you for the answer, so if it was a documentar about "youth" why did they talk just about their love story? It would be a good way to include their friends in the documentar,  so we would know how other members from the gang's life went...a pitty, so mean the writter:tears:

35 minutes ago, scualquiercosa said:

Oh really? Thank you for the answer, so if it was a documentar about "youth" why did they talk just about their love story? It would be a good way to include their friends in the documentar,  so we would know how other members from the gang's life went...a pitty, so mean the writter:tears:

You're welcome, chingu! The writer's been very very generous with providing clues abt their future, (ex: Sung parents still neighbors with the Kims, DR finding success as budding entrepreneur, etc.) all you have to do is infer from those and imagine how their life is going now... :) Writer LWJ is brilliant, I must say :)

2 hours ago, pixiemoondust said:

I personally LIVE for the analysis and theories and I look forward to reading them in this forum especially the loooong ones even if I don't necessarily agree with them. This is not admittedly a typical k-drama. And this drama with it's tightly woven narrative and brilliant direction, to me WARRANTS a closer look and intellectual discourse on top of discussing the merits of Oppa's sexy abs ...

IKR, I almost skip the analysis when they are under four paragraphs.  Why stop to read if there isn't much there. But I stop anyway--Courtsey and all.

But the loooooooong one. 

De-lis-oush.

That makes sense. No wonder there was so much focus on L:heart:VE.  

Youth is the time for L:heart:ve, that wonderful time when you learn to identify the wheat from the chaff and then hold on to what is worth--golden turtles:blush:.

Y:heart:uth and L:heart:ve are almost, but not quite synonyms.

It also makes sense that Bora refered the documentarian to DS because Bora was never young. :blush:.

It's a great framing device to tell DS story, and it is clearly a story of her looking back.  It starts with the narration of the mature DS talking about the world of her youth and ends the adult DS projecting herself back into the space of memories.

In the majority of cases (not all granted but most) the last person standing to sum up what the story means is most often the protagonist, no matter whose name is on the marquee. In Jean Anouih Antigone, despite being the title character Antigone is not the protagonist because she disappears before the story is over. If a character disappears before the story is over then it is not their story.  You have to stay to the end to claim it. 

So DS introduces and closes the story and is the source that drives much of the action, consequently it does seem like R1988 is the story of her youth, life, love, and the people who had a great impact on her during her formative years. And it is significant that the story was not solely about DS finding a man, but about her finding herself and the man who was already always next to her.  Therefore the amount of time spent on her recognizing who she truly loved was significant, AS WAS the time spent discovering what was important to her (her parents, her siblings, her career). When you add those times on scren together you will find DS holistic story takes up more screen time than any other character. 

Y:heart:uth and L:heart:ve and Gr:heart:wth.  Good stuff.

@kepogee 

Love your post.  I wish it were longer.

12 hours ago, lxands said:

I think you have to understand that this story is about Deok Sun, not any of the boys. Reply 1988 is about a 45 years old Deok Sun who was doing an interview in2015/16 about her OWN youth & adolescent years.The story follows DS's life in her late teens into adulthood. How for the first time the awaken of her feeling for a boy. Her first love or so she believe at the time, though it amused her now to think back that she actually fall for her future brother in law because of the confusion made by her friends. Then once again the story follows on her 2nd crush, again influenced by her friends. Although this time they got it right, somehow, the boy,  JH has some issue with himself that ruin his chances with DS even before TK comes into the scene, even more after TK's confession. Until finally DS was advice to look deeply into her heart & figure out who she really loves instead of who likes her first, &  thanks to their wise neighbourhood counsellor, DS finally figure where her heart truly belongs. So its not a matter of JH, TK, SW, DR, JB or BR airtime, who gets more or less, its about DS & it justified that she has the most airtime.

Nope. The drama is not about DS. The PDnim already mentioned... It is about family and friends. The OT5 to be exact. There are many various definitions of love. However, in this drama... the love that it tried to put forward is the love from your family and friends. 

The kids from the street have grown up together and their love for each other is more than friends... more like a family. This drama is not about first love or how she fall in love with her hubby. 

If talking about air time, I don't think DS love line has more airtime than SWxBR love line. DS love line has always been stagnant since EP10 (if i'm not wrong) while the main OTP love line been progressing since EP1 till they got their own wedding. 

4 hours ago, Vannyah M said:

About highlighted sentence, i am really disapointed that person who is academically educated choose to use this words which are not that polite. But well there are various people out there and who am i to judge/

I've already mentioned this again and again. The key word here is Respect

You have the right to agree or disagree... It is your choice and I respect that. Learn to accept ideas from other people and not be so snappy about it.

But just remember to pick your words correctly and not force your opinions down our throats. 

1 hour ago, scualquiercosa said:

I need to know too. So many things left unsaid. 

You're welcome, chingu! The writer's been very very generous with providing clues abt their future, (ex: Sung parents still neighbors with the Kims, DR finding success as budding entrepreneur, etc.) all you have to do is infer from those and imagine how their life is going now... :) Writer LWJ is brilliant, I must say :)

exactly! and i plan to rewatch the entire series to focus on the husband-hunting lol! actually, from the moment they showed the childhood scenes, i really felt taek was the rightful husband lol but i did not want to ship so i avoided all discussions on husbands. chilbong was the mistake that taught me well. LOL 

28 minutes ago, hushhh said:

IKR, I almost skip the analysis when they are under four paragraphs.  Why stop to read if there isn't much there. But I stop anyway--Courtsey and all.

But the loooooooong one. 

De-lis-oush.

Yum-o! I lap them all up. More so to those ones with screencaps and witty captions. A labor of love like that deserves a read. Likes ♥ from me, optional of course.

37 minutes ago, hushhh said:

Youth is the time for L:heart:ve, that wonderful time when you learn to identify the wheat from the chaff and then hold on to what is worth--golden turtles:blush:.

It also makes sense that Bora refered the documentarian to DS because Bora was never young. :blush:.

@kepogee 

How much do I L:heart:ve this? Youth is indeed the best time to learn and recognize the ones that aren't worthy and the ones that are worth the golden turtle.  SunTaek ftw. SunBora ftw. JB-Manok ftw. Bonus: SungOma-ChoiAppa (young at heart)

It would be a hoot if it was SW and Bora who were interviewed for that documentary -- no husband hunt, just scenes of Bora giving the whole neighborhood a mighty scare except for one boy looking at her shooting :heart:s from his eyes. 

9 hours ago, fnkrm said:

Nope. The drama is not about DS. The PDnim already mentioned... It is about family and friends. The OT5 to be exact. There are many various definitions of love. However, in this drama... the love that it tried to put forward is the love from your family and friends. 

The kids from the street have grown up together and their love for each other is more than friends... more like a family. This drama is not about first love or how she fall in love with her hubby. 

Sure, but the story about her first love or how she falls in love with her hubby is part of the show as well, and this is a thread for all things related to Reply 1988.

9 hours ago, fnkrm said:

If talking about air time, I don't think DS love line has more airtime than SWxBR love line. DS love line has always been stagnant since EP10 (if i'm not wrong) while the main OTP love line been progressing since EP1 till they got their own wedding. 

Funny. You implied SWxBR is the main OTP of the drama yet you just claimed before that they have the same airtime with DS love line and this drama its about family and friends.  So doesn't that make DSxTK the "main" OTP too? Beside, its about an interview with DS and Taek in the future, so we all know which pair got more attention.

9 hours ago, fnkrm said:

I've already mentioned this again and again. The key word here is Respect

You have the right to agree or disagree... It is your choice and I respect that. Learn to accept ideas from other people and not be so snappy about it.

But just remember to pick your words correctly and not force your opinions down our throats. 

Yup, like I said before, this is the MT of the drama Reply 1988, so all things RELATED to Reply 1988 are acceptable. You can choose to overreact and report everything that make you feel itchy, or simply ignore things you don't like and move on. That's your choice, and I hope people will always choose the latter. And if a discussion breaks out, just stay polite. 

One thing more, I really thought the husband would be JH as he was really the writer’s type of husband – not the typical boy next door look but very manly, not expressive, initially bullies the girl,  takes forever to confess lol! 

But after watching 2 reply series, I knew the writer loves to write of a love that springs up from childhood. And the interactions of DS and taek during their childhood, their first meeting, the piggy-back, how she looks after him, how he looks at her, those are little clues pointing to taek as the husband because at that point, you could really see the connection being introduced there by the writer. especially, if you just looked past beyond the swoony moments of jh and ds and stopped swooning for a while lol. The writer and the PD are masters of trolls and they have done a brilliant job again this time. 

1 hour ago, hushhh said:

But the loooooooong one. 

De-lis-oush.

It's a great framing device to tell DS story, and it is clearly a story of her looking back.  It starts with the narration of the mature DS talking about the world of her youth and ends the adult DS projecting herself back into the space of memories.

In the majority of cases (not all granted but most) the last person standing to sum up what the story means is most often the protagonist, no matter whose name is on the marquee. In Jean Anouih Antigone, despite being the title character Antigone is not the protagonist because she disappears before the story is over. If a character disappears before the story is over then it is not their story.  You have to stay to the end to claim it. 

So DS introduces and closes the story and is the source that drives much of the action, consequently it does seem like R1988 is the story of her youth, life, love, and the people who had a great impact on her during her formative years. And it is significant that the story was not solely about DS finding a man, but about her finding herself and the man who was already always next to her.  Therefore the amount of time spent on her recognizing who she truly loved was significant, AS WAS the time spent discovering what was important to her (her parents, her siblings, her career). When you add those times on scren together you will find DS holistic story takes up more screen time than any other character. 

Y:heart:uth and L:heart:ve and Gr:heart:wth.  Good stuff.

@kepogee 

Yes exactly! Though each family were given wonderful storylines at the end of the day it's DS is the star of the show because she started and concluded the whole series.

Personally Deoksun has grown the most in this drama

Personal arc: From insecure girl to understanding girl
Family arc: From fighting with her sister to respecting her and loving her (see in ep18 that their arguments isnt as loud in earlier eps)
Love arc: From the girl who depends on the hearsay to a girl who loved on her own
School arc : From a girl who was lazy in studying to a girl who pursued and took that extra year to become a flight attendant. 

She adjusted for everyone because she loved greatly and dearly. 

I will try to write longer texts next time around. I mean so many things to discuss that i've overlooked while watching the show during the first time. Oh god, I wish my difference of opinions of this show will be respected by others. I feel so scared if people will criticise and negate my opinion. I'm just like sung deoksun who is insecure and feel like my opinion won't matter. 

23 minutes ago, ayvah said:

One thing more, I really thought the husband would be JH as he was really the writer’s type of husband – not the typical boy next door look but very manly, not expressive, initially bullies the girl,  takes forever to confess lol! 

But after watching 2 reply series, I knew the writer loves to write of a love that springs up from childhood. And the interactions of DS and taek during their childhood, their first meeting, the piggy-back, how she looks after him, how he looks at her, those are little clues pointing to taek as the husband because at that point, you could really see the connection being introduced there by the writer. especially, if you just looked past beyond the swoony moments of jh and ds and stopped swooning for a while lol. The writer and the PD are masters of trolls and they have done a brilliant job again this time. 

Funny story but i told some of my friends that Taek is the husband because of the piggy back ride, and it was a joke ofcourse. This was around ep1-4 where taek has basically zero game. Funny how it all turned out right now. 

33 minutes ago, ayvah said:

ne thing more, I really thought the husband would be JH as he was really the writer’s type of husband – not the typical boy next door look but very manly, not expressive, initially bullies the girl,  takes forever to confess lol! 

Totally, especially since the swoon worthy moments were mostly one sided.The audience as swooning, but Deok-Sun wasn't all that much. The alley scene, the bus scene, the umbrella scene...those are scenes for JH, but for Deok-Sun I'm not sure they moved her much, if at all.  Deok-Sun asking JH if she should go on the blind date and his reply was the highlight of their relationship to me, but it never went anywhere after that on either side. She also tried to win him over after that, but he wasn't willing because of Taek's confession. 

Another thing, Deok-Sun never showed Junghwan any of the care that he showed her (even if she didn't know about it).  She didn't worry about him, she didn't concern himself with his life...she didn't go to his house just to hang out with him. She worried why he didn't like her, but didn't wonder why he was acting like he was.  So, in the end I can see how they weren't meant to be. All of her concern was always for Taek (like Hyeri said). 

I also think while JH had the personality of the typical husband, Taek had other traits - like he was the one closet to the family, and had more special childhood moments with Deok-Sun. 

1 hour ago, kepogee said:

Yes exactly! Though each family were given wonderful storylines at the end of the day it's DS is the star of the show because she started and concluded the whole series.

Personally Deoksun has grown the most in this drama

Personal arc: From insecure girl to understanding girl
Family arc: From fighting with her sister to respecting her and loving her (see in ep18 that their arguments isnt as loud in earlier eps)
Love arc: From the girl who depends on the hearsay to a girl who loved on her own
School arc : From a girl who was lazy in studying to a girl who pursued and took that extra year to become a flight attendant. 

She adjusted for everyone because she loved greatly and dearly. 

I will try to write longer texts next time around. I mean so many things to discuss that i've overlooked while watching the show during the first time. Oh god, I wish my difference of opinions of this show will be respected by others. I feel so scared if people will criticise and negate my opinion. I'm just like sung deoksun who is insecure and feel like my opinion won't matter. 

That is the most painful thing I've read.:cry:

What does matter if people don't agree with you.

Have you thought it out.  

Can you support your ideas. 

CONTRIBUTE

If people agree --great

If they don't, but offer good advice to help you clarify your position--great use it.

If they denigrate you or are abusive, hit the ignore button--useful

If they still manage to trouble your peace report them if their actions are against the rules.

Do not let anyone's desire to control the arena of ideas stop you from joining the conversation.

If you follow the rules you have as much right to be here as anyone else,

No matter who thinks otherwise

Or try to silence with their ideas

Or force you out because of their insecurity.

I post stuff I don't believe anyone will agree with--and they do.

I post stuff I think is too obvious and therefore not worth posting and no one else sees it, or agree with it. --  

So.

What.

Think.

Write.

Post.

Have fun!

:blush:

oh

"Funny story but i told some of my friends that Taek is the husband because of the piggy back ride

I believe that too.

Archived