[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

2 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I agree that JH lacked courage and that he may have been scared of rejection, but I don't think that he was mad at DS for taking care of Taek. Let's all remember that they ALL take care of Taek: DR, SW, DS (all those flashbacks at the end showed that she did take care of him since a long time and that tjose sentiments evolved into love) and JH himself too.

i dont think JH was mad at DS because she is taking care of Taek too... He mad at her because she didnt come back until night (secret) and taek's room is dark. and because he didnt hv courage to go Taek's room to know, what the hell DS doing in there...... why he didnt hv courage ??? is it just because he know that one of his best friend love DS??? i dont think so..... because back in the ep 6, when JH still misunderstanding about SW love DS, he still can hang out together .... 

x24hw3.jpg   2wf8wn4.jpg

But after he know that Taek love DS, he was avoid Taek - DS.

1. avoid after DS laugh because Taek imitate her. SW-DR-JH didnt know why DS give lesson swearing to Taek.  Taek-DS hv a (lot of) "SECRET" between them.

2. avoid in the restaurant. JH didnt know what happen in the washroom. why they take so long (and TWICE). what they are doing at there??? --> this is another "SECRET" 

all people in ssamun dong know how closed Taek and DS is. they often see Taek - DS holding hand together without any awkwardness. before JH know about Taek love DS. he didnt jealous at all about Taek - DS in the beach. why? its because he think that Taek is still a baby. taek just know about Baduk and didnt know about woman.. but after Taek said that he love DS, JW realize that Taek is the biggest enemy (threat?) for him. he know there is the wall between Taek-DS and him. and he cant climb it... 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, uremysunshine said:

i dont think JW was mad at DS because she is taking care of Taek too... He mad at her because she didnt come back until night (secret) and taek's room is dark. and because he didnt hv courage to go Taek's room to know, what the hell DS doing in there...... why he didnt hv courage ??? is it because he know that Taek love DS??? i dont think so..... because back in the ep 6, when JW still misunderstanding about SW love DS, he still can hang out together .... 

but after he know that Taek love DS, he was avoid Taek - DS.

1. avoid after DS laugh because Taek imitate her. SW-DR-JW didnt know why DS give lesson swearing to Taek.  Taek-DS hv a (lot of) "SECRET" between them.

2. avoid in the restaurant. JH didnt know what happen in the washroom. why they take so long (and TWICE). what they are doing at there??? --> this is another "SECRET" 

all people in ssamun dong know how closed Taek and DS is. they often see Taek - DS holding hand together without any awkwardness. before JH know about Taek love DS. he didnt jealous at all about Taek - DS in the beach. why? its because he think that Taek is still a baby. taek just know about Baduk and didnt know about woman.. but after Taek said that he love DS, JW realize that Taek is the biggest enemy (threat?) for him. he know there is the wall between Taek-DS and him. and he cant climb it... 

I don't have the attention to detail to check your sequence of events, but to my mind this is the most flattering analysis of JH. 

It gives JH credit for emotional intelligence.

It gives JH motivation for hesitating, rather than making his hesitation a matter of character flaw (even though he hesitates in other circumstances also).

It makes sense that JH was aware of CT+DS closeness. Before CT declaring his attraction to DS, JH assumes that their closeness was just an extension of their childhood dynamics.  However after CT's declaration JH might have seen CT+DS interaction as something different/something with romantic potential, and also an obstacle to his romantic goal.

I don't know if he was mad at DS, but his response to DS is similar to his response to her when he thought she was interested to SW. The difference is that with SW he watched the girl he likes pursuing someone whose interest he in her wasn't sure of until the dictionary incident-where he misinterpreted what it meant. With CT there was no obvious pursuit on DS part, but when he saw her with Taek JH understood that CT was cultivating his and DS relationship; this was something JH could't do. 

12 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I don't know if he was mad at DS, but his response to DS is similar to his response to her when he thought she was interested to SW. The difference is that with SW he watched the girl he likes pursuing someone whose interest he in her wasn't sure of. With CT there was no obvious pursuit on DS part, but when he saw her with Taek JH understood that CT was cultivating his and DS relationship; this was something JH could't do. 

totally agree with you..... i dont want to make JH is a bad character, but i want to explain why he always hesitated. 

who is not sure??? JH or SW??? in ep 6, when JH saw the same dictionary he said to SW, "I'm 100% sure now." when SH want to explain it ... JH said : "no, i hv no interest in hearing about other people's love lives. bye" .... 

Replay Reply1988! B) #2 watching MBC College Music Festival

This drama made a great tribute to late Shin Haechul, a singer-songwriter who passed away in 2014. 1988 was his debut year, when he was 20 years old. 

A good song even from the intro :) Lol, Bora is pissed off because everyone is blocking the TV.

This is the full performance:

Spoiler

There is also a special episode for Shin Haechul on Immortal Songs. Highly recommended! Out of 7 performances, 5 made me cry. I recommend this so I will have a friend to cry with (kidding :P). You will see that SHC wrote songs with very meaningful lyrics. My favorite performance (meaning the one that had me bawling the most) is Son Seungyeon - When Our Lives are About to End. Turn on CC for engsub.

I do agree that Taek and DS have a particular relationship, and so does JH and TK. I think the thing that really pushed JH into hesitating so much was because he cared so much about Taek. All of them have a special relationship to Taek: because he was the last one to join their group, because he was coming after losing his mother. They all took a part into his integration into the group, as we have seen with the flashbacks.

Also, he reacted differently to SW and DS and to TK and DS because they were different people. SW is not TK. And I am not saying that TK is a lesser person that needs to be taken care of like a baby, but because the bond is different. Yes, DS and TK do have a special relationship, but so is JH and TK relationship. I thought this was pretty obviously shown when JH tried not to care about TK and just cannot: he can't help himself loving him, and despite whishing that he turns into a bad guy (while seeing a fallen star), he knows it will never happen. His hesitation is due to not hurting TK above all.

He shows a certain degree of casualness, of not caring with SW and DS: because he sees it as a set matter: DS likes SW (he knows that for sure) and then he thinks SW likes DS aslo. So he takes a step back. He becomes almost detached, so no feelings are involved. I am not sure he managed to do it, but I think this is what he is aiming for.

Cultivating his relationship? I thought he did pretty well. The umbrella scene, the gloves scene, etc. You might be sensitive to those scenes or not, they exist and they escalate over the episodes. Then they stopped once Taek confessed to the guys... The problem with JH was not that he hesitated, it was just that he did not have enough courage at the right time: it is both about timing and courage. We see it in episode 18, through his confession, but timing is also a recurrent theme in the episode with the car and the feather, the concert accident, etc. It's a combination of things. He started to have courage and then he was too concerned about hurting Taek. He never had courage when needed... never knew when to act. That is why his story is sad and tragic in a way.

Also, it's sthg we see all the time with JH: he cares about others. He is really more sensitive to others than he appears. So much that his own family refers to him as the daughter of the family. There are numerous examples of that: he defends SW against the bullies, he takes over his brother's dreams for him, he fills in his mother's passport, make shis father feels better by playing along with one of his gags, shows to the mother that they all need her when she is sad, etc. I think that's also a reason why he hesitated.

About DS not coming back from Taek's room: I dunno but doesn't he look more hurt than mad? I just don't think JH was ever mad at others: if JH were ever mad, it was against himself.

I've said previously that JH chose CT over DS, and that he loved CT more than he loved DS.

Now, it might be said that CT also chose JH over DS.  For me the major difference is that DS had signaled to JH a willingness to change her relationship with him.

While I think she has always loved Taek more than any of the guys since she met Taek, and her connection to Taek changed through the years when she wasn't paying attention. I don't think she specifically signaled to Taek what she wanted their relationship to change.  So Taek had less footing to change his relationship with DS than JH did.

11 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Let's not forget that there is a love storyline between JH and TK too! JH loves Taek and vice versa! This scene shows that despite wanting to hate him, he just cannot. It's LOVE. :wub:They love each other and that is why things get complicated...

29 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I've said previously that JH chose CT over DS, and that he loved CT more than he loved DS.

Now, it might be said that CT also chose JH over DS.  For me the major difference is that DS had signaled to JH a willingness to change her relationship with him.

While I think she has always loved Taek more than any of the guys since she met Taek, and her connection to Taek changed through the years when she wasn't paying attention. I don't think she specifically signaled to Taek what she wanted their relationship to change.  So Taek had less footing to change his relationship with DS than JH did.

That's it guys...

I am leaving both JHxDS and TKxDS ships.

:blush:

I am in #TeamTaekHwan <3

Hahahaha... Can you imagine DS's face when she found out that both her love interest actually loved each other more than her? *goat sound* 

Dong Ryong ah~ Eodini? 

I was watching R88 (yes... again) last week. And this time, I really took away my shippers' mind. 

I noticed how No Eul plays a huge part in the love lives of his noonas...

However... As far as I know... No Eul kind of know about the kind of 'relationship' between JH and DS... but why he didn't question DS? 

Anyone? Any ideas? 

I think it's too simplistic to say JH just picked Taek over DS because he loved Taek more, but more he picked their friendship as a group over a relationship with Deok-Sun.  This includes his friendship with Deok-Sun and Taek as well.  Taek is obviously special, but it's more than that.  Going after her despite what Taek had confessed would have put everyone in a very awkward position.  Sun Woo and DR would have had to pick sides, and Deok-Sun would have had to pick between them (at the time I think she'd pick neither).  She did eventually have to pick between them obviously, but it was her choice and she made the move towards Taek. I don't see JH's actions that much different from DS picking friendship and keeping the status quo over Taek in 1989.

But in the end, Taek and Deok-Sun both decided to put each other ahead of their friendships with each other, and with the group.  Taek did this by going to Junghwan to talk (even if he says it's not the reason), and moving forward to pursue her. Deok-Sun did this by acting like she did in China. The skirt, knowing about baduk even if she didn't before, mentioning the kiss, and being excited to be around him...were all signs she wanted more from Taek now. 

@fnkrm He paid attention to what his sister's were doing, and from his perspective maybe she didn't act any differently. He was more confused by Junghwan's actions than anything.  He didn't have any idea why he would give her gloves, but he could see why Deok-Sun ran after Taek during dinner when he came home.  Just my thought. 

11 hours ago, uremysunshine said:

Not related.

@melissala How goes things?    

I've been saying that JH chose CT over DS because he likes him more for some time now.  I find the idea amusing, but I also find some merit in it.  By that I think JH didn't put DS feeling first, therefore he chose something or someone else over her--and Taek played a significant part in that choice. .

I also think Taek coming to the aid of his father was an important moment in JH understanding of who Taek is.  I think it was a awakening similar to what  DS experienced in China in understanding of Taek's standing in the world. I think friendship, grattitude and hesitancy contributed to JH non-action.

But in another reality, I do think CT and JH would do okay as a couple, but SW might be better for CT.

Pauvre de moi, I can't seem to ship JH with anyone but Cheeta Omma.

In this R88 CT is the only one who would work with JH as a couple so that we could see more of JH in the last two episodes of the drama. CT, between Baduk competitions, has the most control over his schedule. JH is in the airforce so he can't be running around harum-scarum to meet people.  We know CT can get to his base. So if they were a couple we could have upteen minutes of JH taking off and landing in that interesting jumpsuit while Taek wait in  his room staring at a Baduk board.

That might satisfy my hungry havisham heart.

KPop Herald Interviews for Park Bo Gum... with questions from fans have been posted.

Part 1: Career

Part 2: Relationship

Part 3: Reply 1988

[Full Transcript] Park Bo-gum interview ③ ‘Reply1988’ part

Park Bo-gum poses for a picture before an interview at a Seoul cafe on Thursday. (Yoon Byung-chan/The Kpop Herald)

tvN “Reply 1988” star Park Bogum sat down with the Kpop Herald on Feb. 4 to talk about his life as an actor and a 22-year-old. Below is a transcript of his hour-long interview, filled with questions asked by the Kpop Herald readers in advance via email. 

Q: How’s the real-life relationship between you and the other ‘Ssangmun-dong’ friends in the TV series? 
(Asked by Faajae, Ida May, Anishaym, Joyce Ann San Pedro)

It was my fourth time working with Ko Kyung-pyo, so I feel the most comfortable with him. “Reply 1988” was of course a great opportunity to know more about him. Lee Dong-hui is as funny as his character in real life. Ryu Jun-yeol is exemplary to other actors, as he’s always trying to analyze his character and acting skills. I met Hyeri for the first time for the TV series, and she feels just like her character, Deoksun. 

Q: When did you first realize you were Hyeri’s husband? How did you feel? 
(Asked by Faajae, Ida May, Chintya Sanita, Aryska Aminah, Joyce Ann, Just@tien)

While Hyeri found out who the husband will be while shooting the 16th episode, I found it out when shooting the 19th episode. Because everyone’s script is different, someone gave me a wrong script by mistake and I accidently found it out before shooting the final episode. Not much information about the plot was given to the cast, because we found out that actress Lee Mi-yeon was playing Hyeri’s grown-up role only after watching the first episode. 

Q: What did you feel when you first found out that Ryu Jun-yeol’s character is also in love with Hyeri’s character, Deoksun? And what do you think about the ending?
(Asked by Saranya Pong, Anishaym, Sasipat Dacha Akarapong, Joyce Ann San Pedro)

Ryu’s character Junghwan is really attractive, so I thought it was natural for Hyeri’s character to get married to Junghwan. After the kissing scene, Taek asks Deoksun if she remembers what happens last night and she says she went home and nothing happened. Like the viewers, I also thought kissing Deoksun was only a dream. But it turns out that Deoksun and Choi Taek did really kiss that night, and I was in utter shock. 

Q: Do you see yourself in Choi Taek? 
(Asked by Ev Kyu, Eky Ilmastuti, Saranya Pong)

I realized that I’m similar to my ‘Reply 1988’ character in real life. I’m like an iron fist in a velvet glove, just like Choi Taek in the TV series.
We’re very much alike in that we’re very focused on given tasks and I like drinking milk. If there’s a difference, I don’t play check-board as well as him (laugh). 

Q: How was the kiss scene with Hyeri? 
(Asked by: Ida May, Anishaym, Joyce Ann San Pedro)

When I was shooting a kiss scene with Hyeri, I was really nervous because it was the first on-screen kiss for both of us. I was shy too, but I pretended to be okay and tried to make Hyeri feel comfortable. 

Q: Are there other roles that you wanted to try in “Reply 1988?”
(Asked by Ida May, Ev Kyu)

When I first auditioned for the drama, I didn’t think I was going to play Choi Taek. The director made me do lines of different roles similar to “Reply 1988” characters and told me that I’d do good in playing Taek. During the audition he made me act cursing on people, and I think he found that funny and thought of me as Choi Taek. 

Q: What do you think about the ending? 
(Asked by Joyce Ann San Pedro)

From the beginning of the TV series, I’ve always thought Hyeri should get married to a person she can be happy with. I felt bad from Junghwan’s perspective, because Ryu did so well in expressing Junghwan’s feelings. 

By Suk Gee-hyun, Sohn Ji-hyong (monicasuk@heraldcorp.com, json@heraldcorp.com)

@hushhh I can see some merit in the idea, but I think Junghwan would have done the same for everyone since he's selfless, and didn't really know where Deok-Sun stood. He was also unable to admit his feelings to anyone, so that's another issue.  But I do agree with what JH said, that Taek just wanted her more than he did.  JH did put Taek over DS for the majority of the show after he found out, but t it's probably deeper than simply he loves him more (that's downplaying his lifelong love for her really), but it would be a huge issue for JH to go after DS when everyone know Taek likes her. It's something he just couldn't do in good conscious.  JH had the chance to admit his feelings for DS after the Sun Woo situation, but didn't take it.  If he had things might have turned out different, and Taek might have been the one hiding his feelings. But he couldn't cross the line, and was content (not a good word to use, since he was clearly unhappy) with keeping things as they were. 

Taek also gave up his feelings for Deok-Sun, but like JH the situation is complicated.  He can't act knowing his friend likes her,  but she also hasn't made any clear moves towards either one of them.  She didn't admit the kiss was real, but if she had I do think things might have been different. 

The two guys were fighting amongst themselves trying not to hurt the other, and Deok-Sun wasn't  doing much to help either one of them.  I just think saying the guys liked each other more than her really downplays the suffering they both went through.  They both clearly loved her a lot, but didn't know how to go for her and keep their friendships together. 

And I think SW/TK is better because he understands Taek better than anyone in the show. He was the one who stood up for Taek and told the rest of the squad that they were underestimating him. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160205

From the beginning of the TV series, I’ve always thought Hyeri should get married to a person she can be happy with. I felt bad from Junghwan’s perspective, because Ryu did so well in expressing Junghwan’s feelings.

-- Park Bogum

Source:

also credit to @beldaran 's post above in the thread (sorry I saw it too late)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Park Bogum is #TEAMDUKSEON !!!!!

Daebak. That's our boy!

Screenshot_2016_02_05_16_23_04.png

@fnkrm Threesome anyone? I mean JH loves DS and CT, CT loves DS and JH, DS loves CT and JH. I mean it's pretty obvious no? ;) ha ha

@melissala Really liked your last post! :)

I think that the interractions between them all are complex and that even though it is fine to question why JH did not act, it has to be done in the optic that CT also did not act. I think we tend to forget that JH and CT are very similar too. They care about the ones they love. JH could not hate CT and kept taking care of him, CT helped JH's father when in need, CT wanted his father to remarry so that he would not be alone, JH took care of his parents numerous times, etc. I think that is also why the triangle worked so well.

If you've been on the JH/DS thread, you know that I have been a frustated bunny. I have accepted the ending and that JH and DS did not end up together, but I wish the process would have been done a bit better. I love JH's tragic story and how it ended. But I wish we'd have seen more scenes between TK and DS in the future, and also how JH could have fitted in it. It just felt that the triangle exploded and then it was two and one. Because they were so similar and the whole hesitation thing had been played out so much, it felt inda disappointing not to see the resolution being played out more. I wish they had question why the boys had not talked about their feelings before, why they mutually tried to protect each other, how DS fitted in all of that....

All this to say that JH and CT as rivals in love was great and that one should one forget that it got so great because both JH and CT were great characters!

I still like my idea of a threesome.... :P

Can we all talk about how the actors involved in the love triangle found out pretty late the outcome of it? HR found out in episode 16, RJY in episode 18 and PBG in episode 19?! I am the only one feeling a bit unconfortable about it? Should they have known earlier, or at least at the same time?

5 hours ago, melissala said:

The two guys were fighting amongst themselves trying not to hurt the other, and Deok-Sun wasn't  doing much to help either one of them.  I just think saying the guys liked each other more than her really downplays the suffering they both went through.  They both clearly loved her a lot, but didn't know how to go for her and keep their friendships together. 

I agree with you on this. I think their love for each other and not wanting to destroy their friendship is very endearing and we all should learn from this. You can lose the person you love but not your friend. This is what the writers wanted to tell us: Friendship & Family Love > First Love

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

@fnkrm Threesome anyone? I mean JH loves DS and CT, CT loves DS and JH, DS loves CT and JH. I mean it's pretty obvious no? ;) ha ha

Ooooh. /byuntae mode activated/

Someone please... make a fanfic about this. Hehehehe. 

Replay Reply1988! B) #3 middle child's sorrow (ep 1)

Deoksun venting her frustration of being a middle child. This scene really got me to continue watching the next episodes.

Then Sung appa prepares a birthday cake just for her.

"Dads don't automatically become dads the moment you're born. This is appa's first time being a dad too." - Sung Dong Il

Song at the end of birthday scene: Cho Young Phil - Now I Wish It Would be Like That. This is one of Cho Young Phil's famous songs. Original ver:

Live ver:

Some great covers (there is one with engsub)

Spoiler

Kim Yeonji on Immortal Songs (with engsub)

Davichi's Lee Haeri

The One on I am A Singer

Lena Park/Park Junhyung

Akdong musician (can't find the live video version)

Lol, is this too many? Oh well, what to do when I really like this song :D 

Enjoy :) 

10 hours ago, debieg said:

@carolinedl and @fnkrm can I board that shipp also? #teamteakhwan :) 

credit to : @papulichan 

Your #taekhwan wish has been granted! 

Bonus:

Really like the scene where JH and TK walk together and JH ties TK's shoelace. The bts clip above is mushy~

Everything changed when TK confessed he liked DS. Changed when TK found out JH liked DS. Everything changed when the fire nation attacked...*Avatar the legend of aang reference*

Spoiler

What I got out of the interviews with Park Bo Gum... 
...first of all, his views on the JH/DS/TK triangle makes me think that it reinforces that "I don't need to compete" statement/attitude. This may not be true; it's just a fleeting thought. 
...second.. and perhaps mainly... Man, just the task of distributing scripts by itself must be hard for staff. You have to cut and sanitize each of the scripts and then distribute them to the appropriate actors... because SIKRETZ. I'm glad this show was partly recorded ahead of time. Doing this to film for 3-4 hours' worth of final product in the case of a constant live shoot would probably kill everyone. Staff and cast. The staff will drop first. Is this how they do it in other Korean dramas as well? Or is it just this PD-writer team? This franchise?

In any case, I kind of liked this from Hye Ri... even if I AM one of the people thinking about the triangle. :x

"I think there is some distance between the direction towards which the audience is watching and the direction that the drama wants to narrate. In fact, the director has said from the beginning that the husband hunt wouldn't be the focus this season, and that he wanted to place the emphasis on the story of family instead of melo,"  said Hye Ri. "I'm a little sad that it seems everyone was more interested about and turned to the husband hunt, even though there were a lot of very warm, precious episodes."

"There are a lot of actors in this drama. It's unfortunate that even when the love line appears for only 5 minutes in an episode and it doesn't make up the full course of events, it seems that [the viewers] focus their interest on those 5 minutes," she also added. 

article: sports today / translation

Now that the TaekHwan ship is safely out at sea, someone needs to ready the TaekSW ship.

There is enough Taek to go around for everyone.

Of course, no matter who we ship Taek (or DS)  with, our OTP is CT+DS, so sayth the god of the R1988 universe writer-nim.

Archived