Im Si Wan 임시완

sky5joyous

'Emergency Declaration' delves into different types of humanity

In the face of disaster, different types of people cope differently.

"Emergency Declaration," a new aviation disaster film released next month, tells a story that everyone living through the pandemic can relate to.

The film follows a detective, played by Cannes-winning actor Song Kang-ho, who investigates a suspected terrorist only to find out that he has already boarded a plane. While passengers are trapped inside, those on the ground struggle to find a way to land the plane.

"When confronted by a disaster, humans become weak and scared. They sometimes start accusing and resenting each other. But being human, they also make different choices. ... I tried to focus on our humanity which can overcome dire situations," said director Han Jae-rim during a press conference held on Monday.

"A disaster, however small or catastrophic, can come to anyone at any time," Song added. "In such cases, we are reminded of what we value the most. We start to appreciate things we took for granted, like family and neighbors."

Han and big-name actors Song, Lee Byung-hun, Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Nam-gil, Yim Si-wan, Kim So-jin and Park Hae-joon attended the press conference at Megabox Coex in southern Seoul that followed the screening.

Joining Song onscreen is another Cannes-winning actor Jeon. The two previously worked together in “Secret Sunshine” (2007).

Playing the role of a minister for Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Jeon said her character also struggles to fight off the invisible terror and human frailty.

"Although I was a high government official, I was just another human being like any other character. I also felt helpless dealing with an unprecedented terrorism disaster,” Jeon said.

Another notable character is a mysterious passenger, played by Yim Si-wan.

Regarding the casting, the director said he started with the idea of someone who viewers wouldn't imagine committing such an act of terrorism.

"I felt 'free' in expressing and portraying this character. So I was more excited than worried about the role," said Yim.

To convey a realistic-looking setting and dynamic turbulence of the plane in flight, the director used a giant gimbal to rotate the plane 360 degrees -- with the passengers inside.

"Two photography directors actually rode the gimbal and tied themselves to film the passengers’ faces and emotions. I think that‘s how we captured the moment of extreme tension," said Han.

Kim Nam-gil, who plays the airplane’s pilot, added that he put in extra effort to look like a veteran pilot.

"All the pilots in the film trained together. I practiced landing simulation, piloting and controlling all the buttons. I wanted to look real in the cockpit."

The film was invited to the non-competition section at last year's Cannes Film Festival, where it premiered. Its initial release was delayed due to the pandemic.

"As we are still recovering from the pandemic, I was more immersed in the storyline. There are different groups of people reacting differently to similar situations. ... I hope the audience enjoys the film and delves into the message we are trying to convey," said Lee Byung-hun.

"Emergency Declaration" will hit local theaters on Aug. 3.

By Hwang Dong-Hee (hwangdh@heraldcorp.com)
credit : Korea Herald

***  ISW will play a villain role in "Emergency Declaration," which is different from his boy-next-door image in previous drama characters. He takes the role of Jin Seok, a passenger without a destination. He is the main character who caused the unprecedented air disaster. With his villain role transformation, I look forward to Siwan's new acting. I'm curious about how he will bring confusion on board and how he will fulfill his mission inside the airplane. After almost a year of delay, I'm glad that the movie will be released already this year. I'm excited to see Im Siwan's transformation as a new villain in this upcoming movie.   :kaching1:

IM SIWAN

photo source : Kdramastars

5 hours ago, sky5joyous said:

EMERGENCY DECLARATION - SIWAN is in BUSAN with the cast of movie 

@sky5joyous  thanks for sharing this. Song Kang Ho reveals what it's like working with Im Si Wan for the second time. He starred with Im Si Wan in the movie "The Attorney." At the time, ISW was fairly new in show-business. Song Kang Ho showered him with good words. He pointed out how Im Si Wan "acted so intensely" in this movie. He expressed how

proud he is to see him flourish as a great actor. He praised that he acted so well in the movie.   :rubchin:

• Love 1

Korean Box Office for the Weekend 2022.07.29 ~ 2022.07.31

# Films Release date Week-end Total
1 "Hansan: Rising Dragon" (한산: 용의 출현) 2022/07/27 1 632 087 2 270 144
2 "Minions: The Rise of Gru"   340 445 1 505 013
3 "Top Gun: Maverick"   296 705 7 049 428
4 "Alienoid" (외계+인 1부) 2022/07/20 187 526 1 357 675
5 "Pororo Movie, Dragon Castle Adventure" (뽀로로 극장판 드래곤캐슬 대모험) 2022/07/28 129 391 171 518
6 "Decision to Leave" (헤어질 결심) 2022/06/29 78 312 1 672 104
7 "Detective Conan: The Bride of Halloween" (名探偵コナン ハロウィンの花嫁)   30 003 411 643
8 "Thor: Love and Thunder"   6 274 2 709 700
9 "Emergency Declaration" (비상선언) 2022/08/03 4 268 15 758
10 "Beyond LIVE: EXO's Travel the World on a Ladder" (비욘드 라이브 더 무비 : EXO의 사다리 타고 세계여행 3) 2022/07/27 3 885 5 916

credit : KOFIC

https://www.kobis.or.kr/kobis/business/main/main.do

*** “Emergency Declaration” has unveiled new posters! The newly released posters put the spotlight on the seven main characters, each of whom plays a different role. It has these literal award winning casts.  Siwan’s poster introduces his character Jin Seok, a mysterious passenger who becomes the prime suspect.  The movie hits theaters in South Korea TODAY, August 3.   :happydance:

Im-Siwan.jpg

source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=311&aid=0001483753

On 7/30/2022 at 6:40 PM, sky5joyous said:

EMERGENCY DECLARATION - SIWAN is in BUSAN with the cast of movie 

Reveal hidden contents

@sky5joyous  thanks for sharing this. Siwan also posted the photos on his IG. He seems improving with his selfie shots and he clearly declares it with a funny caption - "Beware of the photos I took" - hahaha - "Emergency Declaration" will be released TODAY, August 3!   :heart4:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgqkF5Kvdh6/

*** According to figures released by the Korean Film Council TODAY August 5th, "Emergency Declaration" has opened at the top of the South Korean box office. The film had 336,745 admissions on August 3rd and 222,126 admissions on August 4th. Combined with early admissions, the movie now totals 581,200 admissions, and is a lock to break the million viewer mark this weekend. However, whether the movie will be able to outperform "Hansan: Rising Dragon" throughout that weekend is unclear. It has been maintaining more momentum in theatrical sales.   :heart4:

[Box Office] Movies in theaters this week

http://res.heraldm.com/content/image/2022/08/04/20220804000159_0.jpg

Emergency Declaration

(Korea)

Opened Aug. 3

Disaster-action

Directed by Han Jae-rim

Veteran detective In-ho (Song Kang-ho) is investigating a suspected terrorist and finds out that the suspect has already boarded a flight bound for Hawaii. To make matters worse, In-ho‘s wife is also on the plane with her friends. While the passengers are trapped inside, those on the ground including In-ho and the transportation minister (Jeon Do-yeon) struggle to find a way to land the plane safely.

(skipped unrelated.....) 

credit : Korea Herald

*** I'm glad that “Emergency Declaration” is dominating the Korean box office!   According to the Korean Film Council, the movie had officially surpassed 1 million moviegoers at the box office as of TODAY, August 6 in the afternoon – 

Congratulations to the cast and crew! Can’t wait to watch this.   :wut:

0003224035_001_20220806150201467.jpg?typ

photo source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=241&aid=0003224035

• Like 1

*** In a recent round of interviews about "Emergency Declaration, Song Kang Ho has put praise on Im Siwan! They worked together previously in the movie “The Attorney" some years ago. Emphasizing just how important Im Siwan’s performance was to the film as a whole, he remarked that Im Siwan is the hidden card of the movie. As soon as he watched the film, he sent him a text praising his acting. He compares Im Siwan on what Son Suk Ku was to ‘The Outlaws 2’ [‘The Roundup’]. That from his first appearance to the very end, Im Siwan’s performance was powerful throughout the entire movie. He gave such an incredible acting performance. He said that he's truly so proud of ISW.   :7555_attack:

Im-Siwan-Song-Kang-Ho-XPN.jpg

source : https://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=009&aid=0005001216

17 hours ago, sky5joyous said:
  Reveal hidden contents

INTERVIEW with SIWAN about EMERGENCY DECLARATION witn ENG. SUB.

@sky5joyous  thanks for sharing the videos. "Emergency Declaration" is one of this summer's most anticipated Korean films, and seem to be living up to expectations because it's sweeping the box office over the weekend. According to the Korean Film Council, the movie attracted 324,860 viewers while the cumulative number of viewers for "Emergency Declaration" exceeded over 1 million in less than a week.   :happydance:

[INTERVIEW] Im Si-wan found own narrative for villain role in 'Emergency Declaration'

Actor Im Si-wan plays the role of a terrorist in the new disaster blockbuster film, 'Emergency Declaration.' Courtesy of Showbox
Actor Im Si-wan plays the role of a terrorist in the new disaster blockbuster film, "Emergency Declaration." Courtesy of Showbox

With 10-year career, Im is still eager to learn more about acting

By Lee Gyu-lee

Actor Im Si-wan plays the role of a terrorist in the new disaster blockbuster film, 'Emergency Declaration.' Courtesy of Showbox
Actor Im Si-wan / Courtesy of Showbox

Singer and actor Im Si-wan, who started his career as a member of K-pop group ZE:A, has been building a strong filmography, proving himself as a capable actor.

Known for his good boy, by-the-book image, he has added a new dimension to his repertoire, cultivating a new image in his new role as the terrorist, Jin-seok, in the disaster flick, "Emergency Declaration."

"There's no backstory on the character of Jin-seok (in the film). I usually try to find a sense of justification (in a character's actions) when I act, because the harder it is to find one, the harder it is to act. But with Jin-seok, there wasn't any. It was a complete blank," Im said in an interview with The Korea Times, Monday.

"But on the other hand, because it was blank, I had the freedom to fill it as I wanted. I portrayed Jin-seok as I built his narrative," he said.

"Emergency Declaration" is about a terrorist attack on an airplane. Courtesy of Showbox

Led by director Han Jae-rim, who helmed the 2017 crime film, "The King," the new disaster film, which hit the theaters on Aug. 3, follows the story of a terrorist attack on an airplane.

When passengers on a commercial flight start dying following a terrorist threat online, people on the ground, including detective In-ho (Song Kang-ho), and those on board, including Jae-hyuk (Lee Byung-hun) and Hyun-soo (Kim Nam-gil), try to save people's lives, while dealing with the rising tension and panic.

Im plays a vengeful biochemist, who plots the attack, thereby jeopardizing the lives of over a hundred passengers who are trapped up in the air.

The actor revealed that he could feel a sense of freedom in acting as a villain in this film. "This character doesn't exactly fall in the category of being normal or being relatable (to the audience)," he said.

"(Some say) the role of an antagonist is a blessing as an actor. Protagonists have certain boundaries they must keep, but with the villain role, I could step out of the frame that (I must act) in a certain way. I was able to feel freedom with this work. It felt incredible to fill in my imagination. I felt liberated in terms of acting," he said.

The film only gives the smallest of glimpses into Jin-seok's unfortunate upbringing and his dysfunctional mother, yet it doesn't delve deeper into the reasons behind his heinous actions.

Im said he tried to focus on finding Jin-seok's emotions and his own justification to prevent his role from being purely superficial.

"For characters that don't fall into a normal category, I believe that the moment I approach that character with a 'he's not normal' attitude, it's going to feel ingenuous," he said. "I think Jin-seok had an experimental mind that felt sacred in his own values. And when he actualizes that experiment step by step, he feels the thrill, which comes off as abnormal and chilling to the other person. And that's what I focused on (in playing the character)."

For Im and Song, this is the second time the two have worked together in a film, following the drama flick, "The Attorney," in 2013.

Im shared that Song would visit him on the set to encourage him, although they barely had scenes together.

"When Song came to the set, he gave me a lot of compliments, which to me felt like strong support," he said. "To hear a compliment from someone who is one of the best actors in the world, in my opinion, meant a lot. I felt proud and a sense of motivation."

Along with Song, Im worked with top-tier actors for this film, including Lee, Kim, and Jeon Do-yeon. He expressed his overwhelming excitement to have such an opportunity.

"This piece has been such an enormous honor to me. Working with those who are not just top actors in Korea but also globally recognized, was a tremendous opportunity. It is a chance that any actor would dream for and it felt unbelievable to have that great chance," he said, adding that it felt surreal. "It would have been nice if I could have worked on a scene together with all of those co-stars. And I feel bad that I didn't get to, but regardless I was very thrilled."

The actor, who made his way into acting with a minor role in the hit historical series, "Moon Embracing the Sun," in 2012, shared that the 10 years of his career feel nothing more than a number and he is eager to learn more.

"The pressure that the number 10 gives is pretty huge. When I think of the 10 years, it just feels that the time has flown by much faster than the things I've accomplished," he said. "There is still a lot that I need to do and that I do not know … I'm still yet to have my own answer to the question of 'what is acting.'"

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2022/08/689_334122.html

*** In an interview with Wikitree yesterday August 8th, Im Si Wan revealed the secret behind the video of him and Park Hyung Sik that recently went viral across online in social media. Specifically, it is a video of what happened at the 1st Blue Dragon Series Awards held on July 19th. On this day, Park Hyung Sik went on stage together with AOA member Seolhyun as presenters for the Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress awards. At that time, a scene capturing him filming Park Hyung Sik with his phone was shown and became a hot topic of discussion. He looks so happy seeing Park Hyung Sik on stage - hahaha - In the interview, he explained why he filmed Park Hyung Sik and he said that he saw him looked  nervous that’s why he took a video so he could tease him about it. He also revealed that he sent the video to Park Hyung Sik right away.   :yay: :Megalol:

park hyung sik

photo source : Kbizoom

*** TODAY, August 10, the Hope Bridge Korea Disaster Relief Association shared that ISW has made a donation to support those affected by Korea’s ongoing heavy rains and flooding. He donated 20 million won for flood relief efforts. The funds will be used to help repair damages caused by heavy rain and victims of flood damage. Such a thoughtful & warm gesture from him. As far as I remember, this isn’t the first time he extended a helping hand. Earlier this year, he aided the victims who were affected by the wildfires on the eastern coast of Korea.   :thumbsup:

source : https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202208101436170310

*** ISW recently took time for interviews following the release of his new film “Emergency Declaration.” After the movie hit theaters, moviegoers have been praising his intense performance and particularly his impressive facial expressions. When asked how he prepared for this, he said that he did not prepare anything specifically. He started by thinking about what kind of motive might has driven a person to carry out such a major incident. When asked about the most memorable comment that he has received, he replied that he remembers a comment saying that his eyes looked insane. He thinks of it as a compliment and that moviegoers viewed his character well. He added with a laugh that his eyes don’t usually look insane like that. He thinks they looked that way because of the lighting. He also shared about speaking English for the role. He has not   heard that his English pronunciation is bad after the film’s release, so he feels satisfied. When asked how he understood the terrorist role of Jin Seok, he commented that he always looked for justification when acting. “Emergency Declaration” officially surpassed 1 million moviegoers at the box office on August 6.  :kisslevel:

im-siwan-2.jpg

source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=609&aid=0000612953

*** ISW is heating up the cinemas with his transformation as dangerous villain in the movie "Emergency Declaration". He has a  brilliant performance and challenging transformation as antagonist in his character n this movie as he had always played protagonist roles in the past. He is receiving endless favorable reviews for his performance in the disaster movie. Even his co-star Song Kang Ho praised him for his acting. In "Emergency Declaration," he played the role of Jin Seok, a terrorist.   :cutekitty:

IM SIWAN

photo source : Kdramastars