[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@liddi

"Will you be watching 7 Days Queen?"

I will catch the hot clips on youtube or Chinese sub on website links...don't think I can live - stream while being a nomad living in & out of a suitcase

"I was first captivated by TVB historical dramas,"

Ah..yes...those were the days......the famous HK-TVB dramas that was so popular then.....was engrossed by many in the world like what the current Korean dramas is now....in the 80s & 90s & their VHS rentals which possibility had increase the Cantonese speaking population & singing TVB drama theme songs in karaoke.....then lost their market share of viewer audience to China & later Korea

"畫閣歸來春又晚。燕子雙飛,柳軟桃花淺。細雨滿天風滿院。愁眉斂盡無人見。
獨倚闌干心緒亂。芳草芊綿,尚憶江南岸。風月無情人暗換。舊遊如夢空腸斷。"

Here is the translation of the verses & it also show why Yi Gyeom reciting this poem obviously laments in sigh that he had heard no response from Shin Saimdang

這首閨情詞的主題是傷春怨別

上片側重描寫女主人公從畫閣歸來所見的晚春景象。首句一聲“春又晚”的嘆息,惜春之情溢於言表。 “柳軟”、“細雨”兩句,具體描寫晚春時節令人傷心的風雨落花景象。 “愁眉”句將女主人公的形像畫進了這幅殘春風景圖中,人景交融,凸顯了他的憂愁孤獨之狀。

下片專寫主人公的傷離怨別之情。 “獨倚欄杆”句表現其形單影只,心煩意亂的心境。 “芳草”二句描繪她此時目之所及、心之所想。末兩句點出傷春怨別的主題,一直抒胸臆結束全篇。此詞由景及情,情景交融,以淒婉纏綿的筆調,曲折盡意地抒寫了傷春女子的滿懷離思和一腔哀愁.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heads up, everyone!

Hackers Are Hiding Computer Viruses in Film Subtitles to Take Control of Devices
http://www.newsweek.com/hackers-computer-virus-film-subtitles-check-point-vlc-615323

Hackers can use subtitles to take over millions of devices running VLC, Kodi, Popcorn Time and Stremio
https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2017/05/23/subtitle-hack/

Hackers Use Subtitle Files to Take Over PCs - ExtremeTech
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/249857-hackers-use-subtitle-files-take-computers

@gerrytan8063 Thank you for the detailed explanation of the poem. If this is accurate, then Gyeom should not have recited the first verse, since it was meant to be from the woman's point of view :tongue: 

Curious as to the opening themes in different countries... this is apparently GTV's:

Not as sure about 吳克群 Kenji Wu's 孤獨時會上癮的 as the ending theme, since it seems to be featured at the end of various dubbed kdramas, but it seems to be consistently playing in every GTV extended preview:

And Kim Yuna's "Years" which continues to move me each time I hear it:

@liddi

"Thank you for the detailed explanation of the poem. If this is accurate, then Gyeom should not have recited the first verse, since it was meant to be from the woman's point of view "

That is true, from the novel, it wrote that Yi Gyeom recited this phrase

雨橫風狂三月暮,
門掩黃昏,無計留春住。
淚眼問花花不語,
亂紅飛過鞦韆去。

Translation 

雨橫風狂中,三月將過,天已黃昏,我關上了門,總也想不出辦法能把春天留住。我眼中充滿淚水去問花兒,花兒也不說話,一陣風來,倒將它吹得落紅散亂,紛紛飛過秋千而去。

@gerrytan8063 Was the novel you referred to the original Korean version?

In the scene where Gyeom was reciting the poem in the moonlight, the C-translated novel kept to the poem referred to in the drama:

畫閣歸來春又晚。燕子雙飛,柳軟桃花淺。細雨滿天風滿院。愁眉斂盡無人見。

with the following text:

在華麗的樓閣中等候春日到來,
卻是盡漫長的等待,
燕子雙飛晃動枝柳,
桃花也紛紛散落,

細雨綿綿的庭院中,
只有輕風吹拂...
眼中平添愁緒,
卻依舊不見心中所等待之人

Aside from the poem being originally from a woman's point of view, I wish we had seen Gyeom reciting the actual poem, similar to Shin Myeong Hwa's lesson with 石竹花, rather than verbalising the meaning behind the poem. Or perhaps that would have been too much to ask, since the drama was made with the Korean viewers in mind after all. 

@liddi

" Was the novel you referred to the original Korean version?"

I was quoting your post yesterday where you posted this

"NOTE:  The text in C-translated novel, as well as the C-subs from GTV and iflix, are vastly different from the original poem, though the meaning is similar:

雨橫風狂三月暮,
Storms and gale rage in the twilight of March,
門掩黃昏,無計留春住。
Dusk envelops the doors, powerless to hold on to Spring.
淚眼問花花不語,
With teary eyes, I ask the flowers but they keep silent,
亂紅飛過鞦韆去。
Red petals fly chaotically over the swing."

I assume that the above was in the novel

"Or perhaps that would have been too much to ask, since the drama was made with the Korean viewers in mind after all. "

I think they had to deliver the poem in a simple text. I don't think providing caption would have work since the screen time is too short to explained the poem in details. If it was the heydays KBS1 Weekend Historical drama, it would have be thorough

We see a different turn of various events in this chapter, such as Gyeom finding out about Saimdang's agreement with the paper merchant through the records he kept. What was interesting is Grandpa Pal Bong's first meeting with Saimdang, during which he thought she was the Water-Moon goddess, thus inadvertently revealing to Saimdang his connections with Woonpyeongsa.

Novel Vol 1: Part 3 Hope
Chapter 15

1. Gyeom visited Hwieumdang and confronted her subtly about the past. After warning both her and her husband not to go too far, he left. Hwieumdang threw out the cold tea and refilled the cup with boiling hot tea. She once had a heart that was just as warm and alive as the tea. While the man in front of her was thinking of another woman, she too harboured a heart that saw only him. Now, that heart no longer existed, leaving only unending hatred and resentment. Raising the cup, she took a sip and the vein in her neck throbbed in sync with the sound of the tea being drunk.

2. Knowing that Saimdang was dabbling in the paper manufacturing business, Hwieumdang called for a meeting with all the paper merchants, all of whom had never met the head of the paper industry. As they wondered if the head would be in attendance, some spoke of the rumour that it was a woman. Some were sceptical, but others reminded that it was said she had so much backing that she even controlled the paper manufacturers. Regardless, the fact that she would reveal herself meant that it must be a serious matter.

3. After the meeting, she prepared for the reception of the Ming envoy, which was crucial to ensure that they continued to command the trading rights with Ming. The meticulous preparations which she personally oversaw, included the best Geumsan ginseng, gold bars, Joseon's leading courtesans, and delicacies that met her exacting standards. The Ming envoy was extremely pleased with the reception, even more so when Hwieumdang recited the complete (and accurate!) Ouyang Xiu 蝶戀花 Butterflies Romancing Flowers poem:

畫閣歸來春又晚,燕子雙飛,柳軟桃花淺,細雨滿天風滿院,愁眉斂盡無人見。
獨倚闌干心緒亂,芳草芊綿,尚憶江南岸,風月無情人暗換。舊遊如夢空腸斷。

which had the envoy praising her talents and thanking MCH for such an enjoyable time. Seeing his obvious satisfaction, at last MCH nodded to his wife in approval.

4. Hwiuemdang had seen everything that passed between Saimdang and the paper merchant through the small hole in the wall, particularly how the merchant put on airs in front of Saimdang. Were all people like that - arrogant and self-assured before those who were weak; abased and lowly before those who were strong?

5. The merchant, disgruntled at being demoted and sent to the province to help with paper manufacturing, met Gyeom and saw his chance for payback. From the book of records, Gyeom saw the details of Saimdang's agreement with the paper merchant. Realising that she was manufacturing paper and was required to produce 5,000 coloured sheets within 5 days, Gyeom kept the record carefully and rushed towards Soojinbang. At the same time, MCH's servant who was hiding behind the low wall, returned purposefully to the paper store. 

6. In the novel, the paper merchant was cut down by MCH's sword, not beaten to death with the silver he was bribed with.

7. Hearing the young drifter explain that he stole their food because his grandfather was ill, Saimdang sighed and knelt in front of him, wiping his tears. Memories of the little girl in Woonpyeongsa flashed before her. "If I had not paid attention to that hungry young girl, she would not have met such a terrible death!" Yet, despite thinking thus, Saimdang was still the same person, unable to ignore the starving, crying child in front of her. 

8. Having sent Hyang, Seon and Hyun Ryong to collect all the wheatmeal they had left and bring it to the drifters' settlement, she noticed Hyun Ryong still standing there in a daze. In sorrow, Hyun Ryong asked her why these people were living in such misery, reminding Saimdang of herself 20 years ago, and she realised that they were so much alike. When she could not answer, Hyun Ryong was astonished that there was actually something his mother did not know. Saimdang said if there was someone who had all the answers, she too wanted to ask the way to stop people from suffering hunger and cold. Hyun Ryong declared that he would search for the answer to this problem when he grew up, to which Saimdang expressed her approval, before being lost in her own thoughts.
Although a person's status was determined from birth, one should do their best to survive, so why would these people surrender to their circumstances, akin to waiting for death? Why would they not try to do anything? They may not be able to change a world that was driven by money and power. However, why wouldn't they even collect the wild rattan that grew on the mountains to help themselves? Saimdang finally came to the realisation that even if the world could not be changed, one should be able to change one's own life.

9. Saimdang began taking down the names of the 20-odd drifters. The young boy's name was Gang Se Seok, who teared up when Saimdang wrote his name, explaining that that was the first time he had seen it. She told him to sign next to his name, explaining it represented the agreement between them both. Trembling, the boy drew a sign next to his name. Saimdang praised him and asked where his grandfather was, to which he brought her to the deep recesses of the cave where an old man sat, coughing uncontrollably.

10. The old man's face was dark and yellowish, his hair was white and clothes tattered. He gripped his chest and coughed violently, revealing a deep scar on his neck.
"He is really ill." Saimdang's voice was filled with concern.
"It is because his wounds reopened, so his fever persisted... Grandfather's name is Pal Bong, Gang Pal Bong."
As Saimdang wrote down the name, Pal Bong who stopped coughing, looked up and stared directly at Saimdang. Just then, a ray of light streamed into the cave like the streaks of light of a painting, and shone all around Saimdang.
"Woonpyeongsa... Goddess Guan Yin..." 
Pal Bong's eyes began to glisten, and he stretched out a withered, thin hand, as if to hold on to Saimdang who was bathed in light.
"Woonpyeongsa..."
Woonpyeongsa again! Saimdang was frozen in front of Pal Bong. Her face was flushed, her eyes glazed and her heart pounded erratically.
"Do you know Woonpyeongsa? Have you ever seen the Water-Moon Avalokiteshvara painting?" Unable to suppress her emotions, Saimdang questioned Pal Bong in rapid-fire succession.
At that moment, the light disappeared. Pal Bong appeared to snap back into reality and turned his head away.
"Old man, please look at me!" Saimdang held on to his shoulder.
"I don't know anything. You heard wrongly!"
Pal Bong pushed away her hand, then turned aside and covered his head with the mat. The sun had began to set, and Seon's voice calling his mother drifted in from outside the cave. Saimdang stared earnestly at Pal Bong's thin frame for a long time before recovering herself and finally left.

@gerrytan8063  My apologies for the confusion - that was the original poem I quoted in my initial quest to try and fit Gyeom's lovelorn recital with the poems I could find of Ouyang Xiu (without much success :tongue: ) I had since amended my text to include the correct poem that you found.

I noticed a mistake with iflix English subs when MCH was entertaining the Ming envoy. The Ming envoy was speaking in Mandarin regarding the lavish gifts that MCH had bestowed upon his entire entourage, which won their repeated praises for MCH's generosity (豐厚無比的賞賜本官屬下 侍從兵馬,大將小卒, 讓我們的大明使團對閔差大人讚不絕口,處處連聲,贊嘆不已啊)The C-subs transcribed this accurately. However, the English subs translated it as his praises for Hwieumdang's grasp of Chinese through her recital of Ouyang Xiu's poem, which showed that she was both beautiful and extremely intelligent. Seeing we only learnt of her recital of Ouyang Xiu's poem in the novel, I wonder where that mistranslation came from. Hmm...

@liddi

Great reading......& your ardent effort 

"I noticed a mistake with iflix English subs when MCH was entertaining the Ming envoy. "

I suppose it is now the time to learn Korean or just go for the sub language that have a better justification in its translation e.g. Chinese sub (TSKS)

@gerrytan8063 Since learning Korean is not something that can be accomplished in a day, and TSKS unfortunately does not sub the international version... I guess I will just have to juggle between GTV and iflix C-subs, as well as cross reference to the novel for now, and rely on you for sanity checks! :tongue: One more chapter to go... and still no sign of Vol 2, with my travel dates looming near :( Hopefully they release the eBook around the same time as the physical book...desperate times call for desperate measures :D 

22 hours ago, liddi said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but does this affect legal streaming sites, like iflix, netflix? It should not, right? I really hope not, since that is our only online source for English-subbed Saimdang that I know of so far!

If netflix of iflix gets hacked, the hackers can load the subtitles with malware.

The good news is that video players and anti-virus programs are now aware of the threat.

1. Update your video player and anti-virus programs.

2. If you download any video, use your anti-virus program to scan the video (make sure that the scan includes all files, including .txt files).

The first picture below is from Ep. 5 (SBS version) where the King and his bodyguard hear about the massacre in Unpyeongsa. The second picture is from Ep. 28 (SBS version) where Hwieumdang is now working as a tavern lady.

If you look closely (especially at the tree behind the house), you'll notice that the same location is used for both episodes.

Is this an error on the part of the producers, where they hoped that no one (except hardcore SLD fans) will notice that the same location is used?

OR, is there some kind of symbolism at play here? For example, Hwieumdang has come full circle to her childhood days as the daughter of a tavern lady?

m5cJIkY.jpg

@plainenglish

"If you look closely (especially at the tree behind the house), you'll notice that the same location is used for both episodes."

The 2 picture that you had posted above is indeed the same location & on purpose

"is there some kind of symbolism at play here?"

Not symbolism but a location indicator

Eunpyeongsa temple is suppose to be Gangwon-do & Hwieumdang comes from the same village Bukpyeong with Shin Saimdang which is in Gangwon-do province. Hwieumdang could have return to Gangwon-do to run her tavern since we know that her sons travel some distance with backpack to reunited with her

The location & the type of roofing the tavern have is an indicator to show that the place or location is in Gangwon-do province. The mountainous terrain on the background is a great clue with horses grazing & travelers with large carrier 

It is only in Gangwon-do province that you have Gulpijib (굴피집, Bark Shingled Roof) which is Roof tiles makes out of oak bark (Gulpi) 

34942108565_70c655158f_n.jpg

This is a kind of roof material used usually in mountain villages. The oak bark is over 20 years old. At first, the oak bark is peeled at the time of Chuseo (one of the 24 seasonal divisions, about August 23). Next it is put into water. After that, it is dried and a heavy stone is placed on it to flatten it. Bark made this way is commonly about 1.3 meters wide. If the air gets dry, the bark shrinks and obtains many holes. However, if it rains or its humidity is increased, holes get smaller and smaller. At last they disappear quickly. The stone between the joint is not to blow the bark. The life of the oak bark is so long that there is a saying, "Giwa exists for ten thousand years, & the Oak Bark for one thousand years."

At last, we reach the end of the novel. There are some differences in scene sequences compared to the drama, and we finally know the identity of the hapless scapegoat MCH used in place of Yoon Pil. Here, Gyeom and Hoo never played elves to Saimdang's paper-making endeavours either, which is a shame, yet in a way made sense, since I could not explain why in the drama they only helped for one night and left her to fend for herself after that. In any case, Vol 2 is nowhere in sight yet, which means I will have to wait (im)patiently for it to be finally published before I could get my hands on it, however long it takes... sigh.

Novel Vol 1: Part 3 Hope 
Chapter 16 (END)

1. Gyeom waited in vain for the reemergence of the merchant who promised to deliver proof of MCH's misdeeds. Deciding to momentarily set aside his investigation into MCH, he rode furiously with Hoo towards Woonpyeongsa, determined to get to the bottom of Hwieumdang's vendetta towards Saimdang.

2. In the novel, Gyeom's meeting with the old man who rescued Grandpa Pal Bong came before Saimdang delivered the 5000 sheets of coloured paper to the paper store. In the drama, this event happened before her first attempt to sell paper to the merchant who ended up being killed by MCH.

3. By the time he returned to Hanyang, the weather had turned cold and everyone was wearing thicker clothes than ever. He went back to the paper store, hoping to be able to find the paper merchant. At the entrance of the road leading to the store, he noticed a wagon filled with coloured paper in front of the store. There was a woman behind the wagon, who lifted her skirt and entered the store - that was Saimdang. Suddenly, Gyeom recalled her contract to deliver 5000 sheets of coloured paper within 5 days, and worried that his appearance might alarm her, stopped in his tracks and hid behind the wall.

4. Gyeom's heart sunk and ached for her as he watched her pleading with the new merchant to honour the contract. After being chased out of the store, Saimdang stared at the closed door frantically, and had to be supported by Hyang to prevent her from collapsing. Seeing this, Gyeom slammed his fist into the wall, controlling his fury with difficulty, unable to tell whom his anger was directed at.

5. When he heard her saying that she could not return, as this was the agreement she had with the drifters, whose lives depended on the paper, Gyeom caught his breath. Tens of drifters? Did she rope in the help of the rough drifters to make the paper? He recalled the words of the old man at Woonpyeongsa. Didn't he say that Woonpyeongsa manufactured paper? Woonpyeongsa... drifters.. paper... Saimdang.

6. Saimdang's decision to sell the paper themselves shocked not only Hyang, but Gyeom who was hiding behind the wall. Not enough with lowering herself to doing such rough work, she now intended to sell merchandise by the roadside as well! Gyeom's heart ached for her. As both of them pushed the wagon into the marketplace, Gyeom stealthily followed from behind. He desperately wanted to help but also knew that she would surely reject it. Saimdang spread a piece of cloth on the roadside and neatly arranged the paper on it. Then she called out to customers to come and see her wares.

7. Just then, a group of burly men rushed over and kicked the paper aside. As she fell backwards in shock, the men continued to hurl the paper everywhere, ignoring the women's pleas. Seeing one of them push Saimdang aside, Gyeom could not contain himself any longer and rushed in to beat them up. The men warned him not to get involved, and drew their swords, upon which Gyeom pushed the terrified Saimdang and Hyang behind him in a protective stance and faced off the men. From his sleeve, he drew out a yellow-dyed lacquer fan with 40 ribs - symbolic of the royal family. The men panicked and began to retreat, and at a sign from a man standing in the sidelines, sheathed their swords and left. Gyeom followed their gaze and recognised the man as the servant whom he saw with Hwieumdang previously.

8. Seeing the men leave, Gyeom finally relaxed, and turned to Saimdang, asking if she was fine. Just then, a man in a shabby garment rushed over and supported Saimdang up. Realising that it was YWS, Gyeom's expression darkened. Holding her by the shoulder, YWS told off the people for staring, and Gyeom too retreated into the sea of onlookers. When Saimdang tried to retrieve the scattered paper, YWS lost his cool and told her to just let it be and leave, since it was already all over the place. Ignoring him, she began picking the paper to which he forcibly led her away by the waist. 

9. Gyeom watched her retreating figure dejectedly. This was the woman he once loved to distraction, now being held by another man. Just then, Saimdang looked back and their eyes met. Her red-rimmed eyes looked at him with unshed tears, for what seemed like years. His gaze followed her as she turned away. "Being with that man... living such a life, are you really happy?" Gyeom sighed as he watched them gradually disappear.

10. It seemed as if winter was already here, as the cold wind blew and the gardens in Biikdang froze over. Gyeom had been sitting in the pavilion by the lotus pond since early morning, seemingly unaware of the cold wind that blew. The coloured paper from the marketplace yesterday lay in a heap at his feet, each piece the product of Saimdang's painstaking efforts. There were footprints on some of them, while others were crumpled and torn, and the sight of these broke Gyeom's heart.
The thought of Saimdang toiling without rest or sleep for 5 days to make the paper almost drove him insane with grief. He himself did not know whether what he felt for her was pity or love. He only knew that the mere thought of her was like a rushing gale in his heart, one that was impossible to stop. He smoothened out a sheet of the paper on the floor and lifting his brush, poured out the agitation, yearning, loneliness, the outpouring of emotions through it. Not long after, a dark green banana tree emerged from the pale green paper like a sapling growing in spring. He then stuck the completed painting on the wall of the pavilion, in a gesture that was filled with meaning.

11. After receiving MCH's "gift" of the traitorous merchant's finger and desperately assuring that she would not make the same mistake again, Hwieumdang slowly straightened herself up. It was as if she had lost all strength, and could collapse any moment, but she gritted her teeth and resolutely telling herself that she could not fall apart, walked out the door. Only upon reaching the garden, did her legs fail to support her, and she finally collapsed to the ground. In the 20 years as MCH's wife, she had never had a misstep, and gave her all to supporting him, putting up with so much to get to where she was now. To think that after all she had done, he gave her a dismembered finger in repayment. It was truly not worth it, and she was engulfed in terrible loneliness and desolation.

12. MCH was furious to hear that PM Yoon was recommending him for the post of governor of Gangwon province, which he knew to be the former's ploy to keep him isolated away from court. Soon after, Yoon Pil's murder of the young gisaeng gave him the leverage he needed to keep PM Yoon in line. The body they used as the scapegoat for Yoon Pil's acts was none other than than the dead merchant's.

13. Following an entire night of snowfall, the roofs, gardens, tree branches, frozen lotus pond were all covered with snow. Gyeom sought out Baek In Geol at the Central District School. When asked if he knew about MCH's meteoric rise in power, which was rumoured to be linked to the fire at Woonpyeongsa, Baek In Geol started in agitation and accidentally spilt the tea. Seeing his reaction, Gyeom was convinced he knew something, and demanded to know the truth. Upon hearing about the rumours that the Woonpyeongsa massacre had to do with a poem given by King Jungjong to those who left the secret meeting before the literati purge of 1519, Gyeom was stunned as he recalled the events twenty years ago before Saimdang suddenly married another man. Storming out, he rode off furiously in the snow without stopping. His mind replayed the events of the past, but no matter how hard he tried, he could not unravel the mystery of what happened. He whipped his horse, urging it to run faster. He had to know. No matter what, he had to know.

Not quite able to move on yet despite the drama having ended a month ago. All it takes is just hearing snippets of its soundtrack and the feels come flowing back. Think this has not been shared previously... Kim Bum Soo's live rendition of Amnesia:

@gerrytan8063 Are you still traveling? Have you had the opportunity to watch 7 Days Queen? I have not checked it out yet - been so busy of late and barely had time to catch my breath. Still waiting for Vol 2 of the novel to finally be available, which drives home not for the first time, the benefits of learning Hangul :tongue: Ah well... patience is a virtue... :unsure:

@liddi

Great reading...will have to wait a while for you to procure Volume 2

"Are you still traveling? Have you had the opportunity to watch 7 Days Queen?"

Yes....will be away until mid July.

Yes, I had watched 7 Days Queen...did the usual historical posting on the Soompi thread too

Are you in Kuala Lumpur? There are free korean lessons offered

http://www.visitkorea.com.my/classes/korean-language-classes.html

The KLC Sejong classes is running syllabus from The King Sejong Institute, which will lead you to able to sit & pass TOPIK (Test Of Proficiency In Korean test similar to TOEFL)

http://www.sejonghakdang.org/sjcu/home/main.do

@gerrytan8063 Yes, it will be a while before Vol 2 is available. Hopefully they will release the eBook along with the physical book so that I can still read it while I'm traveling. Unfortunately I'm not in KL, so I won't be able to avail myself to the lessons :( Let's see if I have any luck nearer to home. 

You're watching 7 Days Queen? How do you find it so far? I am guessing it must be good seeing that you are participating on the thread as well. I should try and watch it some time... let's see if I do manage to do so and perhaps join you on the thread before it ends :) I have a soft spot for Queen Dangyeong thanks to the poignant portrayal of her character in Saimdang, and wish we could have had more scenes with her. Actually I have a question. Was a queen was deposed, is her livelihood still supported by the palace, or was she left to fend for herself financially as well? Were there restrictions imposed on her movements, in that she could not leave the place she was sentenced to live in - akin to MCH's confined exile, except without the guards and thorny hedges? Or did she have relative freedom apart from being banished from the king's side?

@liddi

"You're watching 7 Days Queen?....... I have a soft spot for Queen Dangyeong thanks to the poignant portrayal of her character in Saimdang, and wish we could have had more scenes with her. Actually I have a question. Was a queen was deposed, is her livelihood still supported by the palace, or was she left to fend for herself financially as well? Were there restrictions imposed on her movements, in that she could not leave the place she was sentenced to live in - akin to MCH's confined exile, except without the guards and thorny hedges? Or did she have relative freedom apart from being banished from the king's side?

A deposed Queen have to live a life demoted as a commoner (貶為庶民, 庶人, 庶民 or in Korean Baekseong, 백성; 百姓) & carries the shame of her deposition, this is why she wear white, as commoner are restricted by law that the daily wear can be white clothes, although on special occasion they can wear pale colour clothings

Her livelihood is support by her clan if they have the finances or else they will have to sought livelihood for themselves. A Deposed Queen is not confine by guards but because of the shame, she will be ostracised, it will be see inappropriate for her to be seen in public

Queen Dangyeong manage to have her deposition review by Yeongjo in 1739 & he restore her Queenship by investiture the title of Dangyeong. Yeongjo also restore her father Shin Su Geun's status & officialdom. Her memorial tablet is place & revered in the Royal Shrine Jongmyo

34892598851_cffbc3554b_b.jpg

Jungjong & his 3 Queen Consort is in Chamber No. 6 in Jongmyo. From L-R Jungjong, Queen Dangyeong of Shin clan, Queen Janggyeong of Yun clan & Queen Munjeong of Yun clan

None of Jungjong's Queens is buried with him. He is buried alone

Archived