[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@gerrytan8063 Thank you for the detailed explanation into the fate of a deposed queen. If her clan was unable to support her, I wonder what kind of livelihood she could have eked  out for herself, since it was not appropriate for her to be seen in public. Were there many deposed queens? I presume such a fate would be equivalent to 守活寡, condemned to be alone for the rest of their lives, unless political winds changed and intervened on their behalf. The only one I know of from my kdrama watching who was deposed, then restored was Queen Inhyun. 

One thing that I never quite understood. I know just how respected and renowned Shin Saimdang was in her time, but how did she overcome the social barriers that were imposed upon her gender, to rise above it, and see her works to be appreciated and loved even among the royal family. She passed away before Yulgok Yi I completed the state examinations, so any fame she enjoyed could surely not have been attributed to his influence...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@quockhanh45 I have no idea. Are you not able to watch it on iflix? It is still available from what I can see. Perhaps you can check with Dramafever if they have any intentions of airing the international version as well in future. I know that Dramafever did that for Moon Lovers:Scarlet Heart Ryeo, though in that drama, it was the other way round - they did a simulcast of the international version first, then came back with a Director's Cut version a few months later, which was the SBS reedited version.

@liddi

"Were there many deposed queens? "

There were a few. Yeonsangun Queen - Deposed Queen Shin, Aunt to Queen Dangyeong & Gwanghaegun Queen -Deposed Queen Yu although it is no fault of theirs

The famous is Deposed Queen Yun who is the mother of Yeonsangun

"I know just how respected and renowned Shin Saimdang was in her time, but how did she overcome the social barriers that were imposed upon her gender, to rise above it, and see her works to be appreciated and loved even among the royal family."

Shin Saimdang was an exceptional case although during her times Neo- Confucianism doctrine was not so rigid & she had a willing father who nuture her talents & provide her a great education. Neo Confucianism in Korea became choking & rigid in the 17th century

1 hour ago, liddi said:

I have no idea. Are you not able to watch it on iflix? It is still available from what I can see. Perhaps you can check with Dramafever if they have any intentions of airing the international version as well in future. I know that Dramafever did that for Moon Lovers:Scarlet Heart Ryeo, though in that drama, it was the other way round - they did a simulcast of the international version first, then came back with a Director's Cut version a few months later, which was the SBS reedited version.

Too bad that iflix is available for my country, but they said that there's no saimdang.

25 minutes ago, quockhanh45 said:

Too bad that iflix is available for my country, but they said that there's no saimdang.

Oh :( I remember plainenglish mentioning about it being available, then removed soon after in the Philippines as well previously.

In any case, I have written to iflix to ask about this - hopefully it is just momentary. I just checked and it is still available in my country...

@gerrytan8063 It is definitely our gain that Shin Saimdang's incredible talent was not buried by the strictures of society during her time, and just as heartening to see that this was true even of her children, including her daughters and granddaughters. Knowing rigid controls that were imposed 100 years later makes me sad, recalling the poignant exchange between Mae Chang and Saimdang despite it being creative license, as I can only imagine it being the frustrated cries of so many gifted women who lived during those times.

Found the English titles of the international episodes on iflix. Just reading them makes me want to revisit them once more... 

1. An antique book found in Bologna
2. Saimdang's childhood
3. Bird-shaped seal
4. The massacre at Temple Unpyeong
5. Reunion of Saimdang and Gyum
6. "The Mother Dog"
7. Saimdang's reencounter with Chi-hyung
8. A dream growing on barren land
9. The Central District School entrance competition
10. Illustrated poem contest
11. The original "Mount Kumgang"
12. Saimdang joins forces with the migrants
13. The role of Sun Gallery
14. The secret of Temple Unpyeong Massacre
15. Stolen "Mount Kumgang"
16. Expulsion
17. The secret method for Goryeo paper 1
18. The secret method for Goryeo paper 2
19. The secret method for Goryeo paper 3
20. Goryeo paper production contest
21. The fall of Chi-hyung
22. A certain message
23. The crown prince and princess
24. The King's portrait 1
25. The King's portrait 2
26. The King's portrait 3
27. Mount Kumggang
28. Time warp
29. The parting of Saimdang and Gyum
30. How are you doing?

45 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@liddi

Hide contents

Yi Mae Chang & Yulgok Yi Yi's wife Madam Noh of Goksan No clan was the casualty of war in the Japanese Invasion to Korea from 1592-1597

:( Yulgok Yi I passed away in 1584, so he never saw his sister and widow ending up as casualties of war, after his views about a strong national defence with a 100,000 strong army. 

@liddi

"Yulgok Yi I passed away in 1584, so he never saw his sister and widow ending up as casualties of war, after his views about a strong national defence with a 100,000 strong army. "

He dies 8 years before the Japanese invasion. He was Minister of Defense in 1583 but his military defense was not taken to heed by the Court as he told that the imminent invading forces will be the Japanese as Toyotomi Hideyoshi had just completed reunited Japan under his rule & he will definitely look for greener pasture, using Korea as a gateway to China. It one of the few invasions Joseon had to suffer until Korean suffered annexation to Japan in 1910 (by the way using the same strategy plan Hideyoshi use in his invasion, perfect with with the Cantonese idiom 橋唔怕舊 最緊要受)

@gerrytan8063 History always seems to repeat itself... and unfortunately more often than not, powers that be refuse to act on sound advice, much to the detriment of the nation and the suffering of its people :( After Yulgok Yi I, were there any other descendants of Saimdang who were actively involved in court?

@liddi

"After Yulgok Yi I, were there any other descendants of Saimdang who were actively involved in court?"

Not that I know of....most of them advance their artistic creativity.....But Yulgok Yi I's daughter married Kim Gip (김집,金集1574-1656)

It is more of Yulgok Yi's students who are engage in politics

On 05/06/2017 at 10:14 PM, quockhanh45 said:

Can you guys help me to find the beautiful bgm in this drama? It was played many time in first eps. Piano song

The BGM you are looking for could be one of the following videos (probably the first video, but I also like the second one).

Not so much news of Saimdang these days... but while waiting for Vol 2 of the novel to be published, and hopefully more news when it airs in the Philippines (will you please share with us when it does, @plainenglish ?), here is a FMV of Anda's beautiful Nobody Knows by Lee Young Ae's VietNam Fanpage :

Another beautiful FMV...

@gerrytan8063 Wow! Can't copy the text to run through Google translate, but if the paintings are also reproduced in the C-novel, I would be absolutely over the moon! Thank you so much for sharing it, which makes me even more eager to see it finally published. Hurry up Humanbooks!

Archived