[Drama 2014-2015] Valid Love 일리있는 사랑

brokbsb

I need to heal my wounds... 
 snklgs, watch on repeat^^

Kim Ilri, you chose a chair to rock you rather than living, breathing, hawt KJ!!!!

Thank you for giving him to me^_~ ( totally delulu fangirl mode^^^)
:x

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished watching ep 20 with subs. The HT - IR reunion still doesn't make sense to me and I think it's so anticlimatic. What a waste. I wish it had ended with IR actually leaving with a backpack, instead of just painting it...

Wonder how long it's going to take for someone new to move into KJ's studio, and make IR's palms hot.

Well, this is the end.

I will never rewatch VL, nor I will watch other dramas based on this writer's works. It's not about holding a grudge, it's more like "I tasted your kimbap, I didn't like it, so I will eat my meal elsewhere, thank you".
And by eat elsewhere I intend stop to watch drama (maybe just for a while). I started just to improve my english. I never studied it at school. English novels weren't my piece of cake, because I get bored too easily and read too slow (i didn't know a lot of grammar rules and words at the time, you know), so I started watching tv shows with subs. And then dramas.
They are funny, isn't it? So funny. None of the characters seemed real, actors and actresses were hot, the plots were intricate, there were some fantasy element too and a lot of comic relief most of the time.
Yes. It was fun.
But I'm growing old, so after a while watch the same cinderella-based plot got boring and a bit insipid. My english was improving, without doubt, but I dropped a lot of show before the end.
Then Valid Love.
Great cinematography. Ost with a bit of taste (thank you god, do you know how many dramas I had watched turning the sound off?). Very good acting etc.

But one big problem. The dam**d carpenter.

I'm not a fangirl. It's not a matter of hot body, abs, hammers, sexy voice or whatever. It's a matter of affinity, maybe, a matter of admission. I had never be the chosen one. I chose, sometimes, if i can, but I never be the chosen one. Of course there is the big exception of my kids. But do you really chose your own mother? And my husband... he is the chosen one. I had chose him, and waited.
And yes, it was also a matter of more depth. HT and IR are bidimensional. Kim Joon, he is not, and so I could relate to him. All of that he doesn't say or doesn't do, matters as much as what he says and does (and I am the same). What you see at first glance is not the entire picture, and is not what you get in the end.
So, yeah, I related to the carpenter for weeks. I rooted for him for weeks. I hoped that he would be the chosen one, for weeks. And then I found out that he was just a plot device, and felt betrayed.
The final lyricism of HT, about "spring that will come" and "there isn't a invalid love in this world"... and that "you will gloat too, one day, when you will be more like me of course, but now we don't need you anymore, so out of my way"... do me a favor. Give that richard simmons to the dogs. I could have liked HT, really, but his actions, his thoughts, his gloating, are too much. Get out of my mind, man. You are gloating all over my pain, I can't stand you.

I know that they are just characters, of course. Like soap bubbles, yesterday they were here, today they don't exist anymore. But I am not a soap bubble, I am still here and, richard simmons, I am suffering!
I can joke around about Valid love's cooking book, about sex into washing machine, about evil writers and mothers of all the plot devices, but the truth is that I had cry over this stupid invalid thing of a shitty drama and I want to rewind my life until last december and never never NEVER watch a drama called valid love.

Give me my time back, when the only carpenter in my life was St. Joseph

And goodbye. I doubt that we will "see" again. Other dramas aren't worth spending time over forums, for me (because I am an ajhumma, you know)
Have fun, and hot-carpenters-without-kimbap to everyone!

When I posted the last comment on this thread after ep 16 I expected the worse but damn this writer outdid herself but before I expand on this let me get something out of the way:

I.T.Y.S.

I'm just joking of course but I seriously think that everyone who was expecting anything else from this series was fooling themselves for whatever reason and I don't mean this as an insult in any way - sometimes fooling yourself is the best thing you can do.
 But now back to the series, for me it's a simple case of people who don't know how to do something trying to actually convince everyone they are experts at it: We have a writer who has never written anything remotely similar, a director who never directed a 20 ep drama before and some members of the cast who clearly bit off more than they could chew.
 For me the biggest problem with the series was the writing - as predictable as it can get and towards the end almost into full makjang mode. I mean seriously! If I could predict HS's death after 4 ep and almost every other major development after 8 ep there's only to 2 possible explanations: either I'm an undiscovered talented scriptwriter or the writer for this series really didn't know how to approach this story and trust me I'm no talent when it comes to creative writing. Literally all the characters look like they were cut out from a Kdrama writing beginners manual with one notable exception (HS) and everything unfolds exactly as you expected it despite all the fancy camera work and the voiceover bit which is little more than a momentary distraction which at times didn't make sense (did I miss the part where KJ was telling HT how he felt about his time with IR? because I distinctly remember it being mentioned in the voiceover). I'm not even going to start on the dementia subplot because that was my favorite part in all the craziness - good clean makjang involuntary comedy :)). If I was really mean and I oversimplified things all the 20 ep can be summed up in a few words: Girl with romantic ideas on love gets married to all around nice guy school teacher only to be faced with real life problems, girl gets fed up with married life and has affair to give herself a break from her self imposed lifestyle but girl realizes she actually just hated the caregiver part of her marriage and following the death of her sick sister in law reunites with husband (OK it's more than a few words but it's not that far from what we actually got in the end). The only good thing I could say about the writing would be that it had a good idea in it - HS. This character had a lot of potential and CYJ got everything out of it and I actually think that in the hands of a better writer HS could have single-handedly saved the whole series.
 And now I get to the part where I'm going to be a bit harsh (as if the comments on the writing weren't harsh :D ) - the acting. I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of any of the main actors so I'm being as objective as possible when I say the acting didn't help the series too much.  UTW was obviously supposed to be doing the heavy lifting acting-wise but my guess is after the first 2 ep the writer kind of forgot that small detail and we went from husband who fights to get back his wife to clueless nice guy who somehow reunites with his wife and comes off as a secondary character for big chunks of the story. Now onto everybody's favorite carpenter LSH - my comment about actors who bit off more than they could chew was directed at him. He might be the nicest guy but he's got the acting range of a block of wood. I see people keep pointing out he's made progress but looking back on the last three roles he played including this one we're talking about the same character with a few changes to fit the script - typical Kdrama good looking bad boy who is really nice on the inside with a troubled family history. Call me crazy but when I think of good acting in Kdrama I think of Joo Won, Ji Sung, Jo Seung Woo or Kim Rae Won and sadly LSH is far from this level right now. To actually cast him in this quite demanding role was a big mistake to begin with from the production department if you ask me but hopefully he'll learn from this experience and have a better showing next time.
 Now for LSY, the pretty lady showed guts when she took on this role but boy did the writer made her suffer. IR went from eccentric funny high-schooler to happily married woman to stressed wife to shameless cheater to confused woman who can't make up her mind and then back to "happily" married woman. I guess there was a way to make this transformation work but what we got wasn't it. What we saw was a woman with serious issues who doesn't want to communicate with anyone around her (not even KJ if we think about it since the guy never fully got her in the end) and creates this ideal image for her sick sister in law who is basically her only friend (I don't get how this works since the two weren't exactly close before the marriage and HS got sick right after the honeymoon - gotta love Kdrama writing :)) ). I can't actually say I hate or I love IR as a character because that would mean I understood her (and sadly that's not the case) but I appreciate LSY's effort.
 Of course I have to take the time to acknowledge the only bright spot in this series - CYJ. The lady seriously rocked and I have to say again someone has to give her a lead role NOW. If that lead role were to include dancing and singing (who knew she could do that too :) ) I can't see what can possibly go wrong :D.
 So what do I get from this series? Always check the writer's previous work to get a picture of where the story could go, casting based on criteria other than acting skills rarely pays off, maybe I should take some creative writing classes and learn Korean because I might be good at this stuff :)).

P.S. I almost forgot about this but did anyone else feel they overused the flashback scenes in the last episodes? I smell "not enough material to fill up airtime" kind of scenario.

Guest favoree

hanakokoro said:  Similarly the scene where HT goes to find KJ is his way of slowly finding peace. both UTW and LSH gave such nuanced performances it was amazing to watch. If u look at HT posture and his eyes, it was not a gloating look. I think he understood that KJ told him at the beach in his subtle way that he was giving up on IR and this was HT returning the favour by indirectly thanking him for letting go and to assure KJ that she was slowly rebuilding her life. I found the whole scene really poignant...HT thanked KJ and apologised too. Sure he may never be able to forget what KJ did and they may never be friends but the hate and animosity was gone. HT letting IR and KJ meet for the last time was a big move for HT. He finally starts thinking about his wife and that she would want some closure. The fact that he willingly set up their meeting so they could say their goodbyes was really significant. Sure he didn't want to do it. He would prefer IR never set eyes on KJ again. The old HT would probably have thrown and hissy fit. But HT shows his growth here as well. He knows IR needs closure so he swallow his own feelings and does what he knows she needs. I really liked that bit. At the end of the day there are no perfect people and there is no perfect love. I admire the drama for exploring these themes and showing and magnifying the flaws in each person. Oops that turned out to be a really long post. Sorry for the rambles.

lauren2b2 said: i've  always  thought  il  ri  character  wasn't  too  resolute  and  wishy  washy  with  her  decisions.  she  went  along  with  the  divorce  but  everytime  they  need  her,  she  runs  back  to  them.  she  needs  them  as much  as  they  need  her.  sad  to  say,  the  casualty  in  all  these  was  kj.  he  learned  the  hard  lesson  that  nobody  is  indispensable  and  he  can  be  thrown  to  the  side,  il  ri  used  him  and  when  she  realizes that  her  feelings  for  him  was  not  that  strong,  she bumped  him to  the  curb.  but  these a re  lessons  in  life  which  should  help  guide  you  in the future /i've  always  known  uhm  tae  woong  chracter  would  win  in the  end a s  he  is  the  bigger star  than  lee  si  yeon  and  kim  joon  actor. and  it  will  not  be  politically  correct  nor  morally  right  for  adulterous  women  to  have  her  cake  and  eat  it  too.  that's  sending  a  wrong  signal  to  the  public  out  there.  now  i read  somewhere  that  when  you  marry a  korean  man,  you  literally  married  a  family.  their  problems  become  your  problem  .  and  this  was  never  more  evident  than  il  ri  literally being  tied  to  hee  soo and the mother  in  law.

Well... I was going to finish watching this drama after it aired but that just went out of the window. tumblr_inline_nbbuxsV4Ib1rz2ce8.gif

It was fun conversing with people during the beginning half of the show but during the latter half I just couldn't deal with IR richard simmons and decided to wait for it to finish. And the ending - bleh.
I'll see all you lovely people around in other drama forums :D

Guest favoree

lc85 said:  Ep 20, if you didn't notice, poked fun at HT and to some extent IR. KDW has some wicked humor. The symbolism of the bean paste stew (cheap), HT and IRs contrived tears patching up their tattered marriage, the restoration of HTs alpha male status (while all the while sounding less than alpha in some of his voice-overs), HT going to a reunion without IR - maybe girls are not allowed and HT as the man of the hour in IR's mini-reunion with her girlfriends, his staff party where he is once again - the man of the hour - him barking orders, calling the shots (the PhD that he is - in one scene which I found hilarious -- they spelled his name Dr Jjang -- LOL, the subbers are funny!). There are many more examples I am sure - but KDW --- I see it!! And IR: she gets a compliment from a man for her art -- and all I could think about is "uh, oh HT you have competition! Especially about HTs pseudo-compliment about her "art" while conversing with IR on the bench - lol! Nothing has changed with HT. He's still to a large extent clueless and can subsist on what little he knows about IR. He is still insecure. (That last walk-through in KJs workshop to make sure he's really gone - pathetically obvious). Edit: when he barged in KJs house and opened the window to "see the view from up there" -- it's like saying -- "I just want to see what you have that I don't have"-- LOL- so much HT, so much more!! And finally, KDW gives her TKO punch, if you will, aimed at her own people/ culture. GT tells it like it is - being a Korean man and all-- his needs, desires, what he won't put up with.. And KDW gives IRs sister freedom -- hopefully symbolic that the next generation has a choice not to blindly (gotta love the symbolism in IRs artwork - the face did not have eyes and it looks like her face. As long as her eyes are covered, her life is magical, full of flowers) tolerate anything -- just because it is cultural, moral, conventional, and for the love of all things rational and good, comfortable!! Yes KJ didn't get the girl-- but he got so much more -- his dignity and self-respect --- and lost what he needed to lose: a co-dependent HT and IR who just needed a reason to stay together. Couples like them will ALWAYS need a reason.. HS is dead. So of course next, it's the MIL and her dementia. Once she dies-- Let's see, who is their next victim? My bet is on SJ. Girl, stay away.. Far away from HT. KDW is generous to give you an escape route in the form of Yi-Seok. Take it. Ep 20 was the longest guilt trip I have taken and I am exhausted - so Good night all! No name calling now..

Guest sakakidaioh

after watch the show all the way from the start (and being a silent reader to this forum, kekeke^^)  all I could say about the ending of this drama is really beyond disappointing. not because that I am a pure IR-KJ shipper, but the plot really disappoints me. 
it's been like an anticlimax to the whole story. I began to disappoint when the dementia thingy comes into the plot and distracting the core story in ep 15. It's like that the writer-nim use all this complicated family problems to re-unite IR again to HT and that bottomless pit. and they just re-unite like that? I think it doesn't make sense at all. 
I can see as the story goes, HT is more like a father/ older brother to IR, where she adores him when he's smart, or when he's charming like a pollack, and soon. if you categorize that kind of love, it's more like a adore feeling, not a love between man-woman as we seen in the IR- KJ seen. KJ is the first guy that make IR feels like she's experience her first love again. I'm pretty sure that feeling is showed us that she's actually in love with KJ as a man, not just excited. and I also feels really sorry to KJ. after all those rollercoaster (don't forget the involvement with HT fam) , IR still doesn't give KJ a real answer what he means to her. I will as anxious as him if any person I love treats me that way, despite the adultery issue that have been the central issue of this drama. 
I know the writer-nim wouldn't make it as they justify aldutery just because the character is good looking or etc, and I also have a feeling that IR - HT would reunite again, to prove to the audience that even if a marriage is not as smooth as it seems, they can face it together. But I DO really expect a better plot than this. even in the latest episode, we rarely see IR - HT make contact, or have a romantic scene together that makes them resemble the good memories. All i see in this whole plot was the deep scene with KJ, (which I cried everytime, knowing how deep KJ feels for IR, omg LSH you're really daebak as an actor! TT__TT), well, at least you can make IR go to her school again to remember the good memories or whatsoever so there is a process to their reconcilement. 
eventough I ship IR-KJ so bad, I didn't hoping so much for them to be together, either way I expect that IR would have a self-reflection time and leave alone so that could be better for both men also. It's so cruel that KJ ends like that writernim...
I suggest LSH to play in another broadcasting house (SBS/MBC) rather than tvN, since it's really heartbreaking for his fans to see him always ends up as a second lead like that in their drama, (first is highschool king, now THIS :""""( *sobs* ) I want to see that cause his acting is really good even tough he's a newbie as an actor. 
Also, I would like to say that I am totally agree with @alleverything, if the story is like this, let's just wait another time when a new guy, maybe this time a blacksmith, move to castadiva, and let IR have sacsac there again, and it became all the way just to let her reunite again with HT. HA-HA-HA. 
thankyou for listening to my (rude) opinion in this forum. glad to write again since a long time in episode 9, just can't stay still being silent right now lol.
 lastly, to LSH fans out there, see you again in his other movies/ dramas, cause I would definitely meet you again in the forum! kkkkk 

Guest favoree

Just imagined what  drama would have been if the Carpenter would have trashed the Pollock!5 seconds before the final titres I envision the headband on the screen: 5 YEARS PASSED... And we see the picture of IR with 3 children and pregnant , KJ hugging her. The lonely pollock with his tipical strained smile and a bottle of soju in his hand just sitting under an umbrella. The sun is setting... I want this ending)

Archived