[Drama 2014/2015] Healer 힐러

kanzcech

One more quiz:

Tough one: What's your favorite episode?

Really very tough one! Each episode I loved it more :)

But let's try: ep 10 with the confession! (but here it can go ep 15, ep 16 too, or ep 17 with the kiss in front of daddy)

Kinda easy one: What's your favorite OST?

1st OST: MLTR eternal love

Easy one: What do you want to happen to Moon Shik?

I would like to start protecting his friends kids and his bro!

Easiest one: Who'd you prefer to be, Young Shin or Jung Hoo? Young Shin, why: she is "sunny" even if her life was tough and after all, I am a woman :D

Hehe... I'm full of curiousity... Lol

Interesting tidbits from the script for Episode 2
Initially, YS was supposed to suffer from CRPS, so the description of her encounter with JH when he stole her bag involves her painful reaction to violence. Later, it seems to have been replaced by PTSD, which is more befitting and realistic than CRPS.
When DY comes to pick up the nail clippings from JH, the script mentions that she is always desperate for JH’s approval.
Interesting tidbits from the script for Episode 3
Before YS goes to face the Chief of Someday, there is an unaired scene with Reporter Yeo. The elevator opens, and YS gets out with a serious face. She means to strike first. As she strides in, Reporter Yeo comes towards her, Reporter Yeo: Umm… YS: Don’t worry. I have a secret weapon in my hand. (As she says this, she shakes the printed sheet in her hand). Reporter Yeo: It’s not that… YS: You know I'm good with handling the Chief. Reporter Yeo: There’s someone inside… YS: (clenching her fist) Fighting Then she walks on. Reporter Yeo ends up cheering ‘fighting’ along.
As YS shows the fridge with labels on people’s stuff, her reading “Sun Jae’s. Do not touch.” and saying “It’s good” after taking a bite from the sandwich are not included in the script.
fnhnQT6.png

When other people at Someday introduce themselves, one of the female reporters, No Sun Jae (the name is after the assistant writer we contacted for the International Healer Fan project) asks BS whether he knows that he’s good looking. In the drama, BS stutters, “Ah… I think I know…” which is not in the script. In fact, BS doesn’t stutter in the script. 
Also, his explanation about the ear piece is also a little more confusing in the drama than the script.Script: “It’s a hearing aid… people with difficulty hearing wear it… you can hear better when you wear it… like this… so I can hear well now…”Drama: “Well, this is something people with difficulty hearing wear… so, in my case, sometimes I can hear fine without it, and sometimes, I can’t hear that well with it, so, well, it’s…”
When YS grabs BS’s wrist, the script describes that JH hates it when other people touch him.
One interesting bit from the synopsis: CYS's birth name was originally supposed to be Oh Riana after Oriana Fallaci. I personally think Oh Ji An is better.
Speaking of names, Chae Young Shin is the name of a female character of a Korean novel that was written in 1935. The CYS there is actually more similar to Choi Myung Hee in Healer. CCS's cafe name used to be Evergreen Tree Cafe in the flashback scenes, and the novel's name was Evergreen Tree. Incidentally, Chae Chi Soo is the localized name of Team Shohoku's captain Akagi Takenori from the popular manga series Slam Dunk, and there are some similarities in the two characters there. Chi Soo by itself can mean good maintenance of facilities in preparation for flood or drought or good self-control. 
Somebody at DC had looked up other characters' names on the Korean dictionary and found these meanings (these meanings go with the pronunciation, and not necessarily with the true meanings of the characters):JH: Secretly find out uncovered truths / when the Chinese characters of his name were revealed, it cracked up many perverts at DC as it can mean "straight and thick"YS: Accept something new.MH: 1) a metaphor for a venue or means of communication with the outside 2) A renowned person well-known for the literary masterpieces s/he's written.MS: 1) A collective term for an academic discipline or knowledge 2) looks good on the outside, but there's nothing inside 3) make up excuses for mistakes or wrongs committedJoon Suk: the stone set before a tomb to serve as a stand for wine bowl.DY: to replace with something. or that replacement.

• Like 1

Interesting tidbits from the script for Episode 2

Initially, YS was supposed to suffer from CRPS, so the description of her encounter with JH when he stole her bag involves her painful reaction to violence. Later, it seems to have been replaced by PTSD, which is more befitting and realistic than CRPS.

When DY comes to pick up the nail clippings from JH, the script mentions that she is always desperate for JH’s approval.

Before YS goes to face the Chief of Someday, there is an unaired scene with Reporter Yeo.
The elevator opens, and YS gets out with a serious face. She means to strike first. As she strides in, Reporter Yeo comes towards her,
Reporter Yeo: Umm…
YS: Don’t worry. I have a secret weapon in my hand. (As she says this, she shakes the printed sheet in her hand).
Reporter Yeo: It’s not that…
YS: You know I'm good with handling the Chief.
Reporter Yeo: There’s someone inside…
YS: (clenching her fist) Fighting
Then she walks on. Reporter Yeo ends up cheering ‘fighting’ along.

As YS shows the fridge with labels on people’s stuff, her reading “Sun Jae’s. Do not touch.” and saying “It’s good” after taking a bite from the sandwich are not included in the script.

When other people at Someday introduce themselves, one of the female reporters, No Sun Jae (the name is after the assistant writer we contacted for the International Healer Fan project) asks BS whether he knows that he’s good looking. In the drama, BS stutters, “Ah… I think I know…” which is not in the script. In fact, BS doesn’t stutter in the script. 

Also, his explanation about the ear piece is also a little more confusing in the drama than the script.
Script: “It’s a hearing aid… people with difficulty hearing wear it… you can hear better when you wear it… like this… so I can hear well now…”
Drama: “Well, this is something people with difficulty hearing wear… so, in my case, sometimes I can hear fine without it, and sometimes, I can’t hear that well with it, so, well, it’s…”

When YS grabs BS’s wrist, the script describes that JH hates it when other people touch him.

One interesting bit from the synopsis: CYS's birth name was originally supposed to be Oh Riana after Oriana Fallaci. I personally think Oh Ji An is better.

Speaking of names, Chae Young Shin is the name of a female character of a Korean novel that was written in 1935. The CYS there is actually more similar to Choi Myung Hee in Healer. CCS's cafe name used to be Evergreen Tree Cafe in the flashback scenes, and the novel's name was Evergreen Tree. Incidentally, Chae Chi Soo is the localized name of Team Shohoku's captain Akagi Takenori from the popular manga series Slam Dunk, and there are some similarities in the two characters there. Chi Soo by itself can mean good maintenance of facilities in preparation for flood or drought or good self-control. 

Somebody at DC had looked up other characters' names on the Korean dictionary and found these meanings (these meanings go with the pronunciation, and not necessarily with the true meanings of the characters):
JH: Secretly find out uncovered truths / when the Chinese characters of his name were revealed, it cracked up many perverts at DC as it can mean "straight and thick"
YS: Accept something new.
MH: 1) a metaphor for a venue or means of communication with the outside 2) A renowned person well-known for the literary masterpieces s/he's written.
MS: 1) A collective term for an academic discipline or knowledge 2) looks good on the outside, but there's nothing inside 3) make up excuses for mistakes or wrongs committed
Joon Suk: the stone set before a tomb to serve as a stand for wine bowl.
DY: to replace with something. or that replacement.

@ruizaio very very interesting!!! Thank youu!!

One of my favorite scenes in episode 17.
Everything in this scene is perfect: the
peaceful colors, the scenery and the way it was shot.
The OTP. S
imple yet sincere
conversation . I love the way they understand, respect and reassure each other.
This drama provides meaningful scenes each and every episode. And it's wonderful!

Episode17_1_zps158cd449.jpg~original

Episode17_3_zps8c8d0340.jpg~original
Episode17_2_zpsa38a5ea8.jpg~original

cr: mine

• Like 2

Hi all, I'm looking for a volunteer who can pull Soompi reviews, reaction to JCW ost? This will be included in the entertainment section featuring OST 6. If we can also get a printout of its current ranking in the different music portals that would be great

@ruizaio‌ perfectly makes sense from an investor's perspective to presell and get funding for the production of the bluray. For the dvd preorder, is it also limited to 1,000 copies and that they would stop selling once they meet the quota?

ruizaio said: Interesting tidbits from the script for Episode 2
Before YS goes to face the Chief of Someday, there is an unaired scene with Reporter Yeo. The elevator opens, and YS gets out with a serious face. She means to strike first. As she strides in, Reporter Yeo comes towards her, Reporter Yeo: Umm… YS: Don’t worry. I have a secret weapon in my hand. (As she says this, she shakes the printed sheet in her hand). Reporter Yeo: It’s not that… YS: You know I'm good with handling the Chief. Reporter Yeo: There’s someone inside… YS: (clenching her fist) Fighting Then she walks on. Reporter Yeo ends up cheering ‘fighting’ along.

Also, his explanation about the ear piece is also a little more confusing in the drama than the script.Script: “It’s a hearing aid… people with difficulty hearing wear it… you can hear better when you wear it… like this… so I can hear well now…”Drama: “Well, this is something people with difficulty hearing wear… so, in my case, sometimes I can hear fine without it, and sometimes, I can’t hear that well with it, so, well, it’s…”

This has been included in drama, i can see his annoy or uncomfortable face in some first graps wrists whenever Youngshin looks away.

Agree. Healer does look a bit perturbed and annoyed when YS grab his hand. Esp the part after she dressed up the wound on his hand. He actually pulled her hand away from his wrist.

That unaired scene u mentioned is in the 2 hour special. There is also another unaired scene whereby MH tried to call MS after he found out tt the damaging online article was written by CYS.

@ruizaio, its great to know that the writer and director collaborated on the main cast members in having to contact and be advised by them 24/7 to perfect scenes.
I guess add-libs are pretty great because without those little particular attention to details, Healer won't be an amazing production.
As I'm watching a different drama at the moment (to get my mind off of not having a preview for Ep. 19), I can't help but to nitpick on scenes and how those could have been done, better.
In a way, Healer has put the KDrama watching on a high bar. Some people might say that the cinematography is not amazing compared to other dramas but Healer makes up for it with an amazing story line with dedicated and hardworking cast and crew members.

Edit: I just realized that Healer makes me think a lot. The drama is "thought provoking"-inducer hahahaha!!!

ruizaio said:

Here’s some things I’d like to say about the Director’s Cut DVD/Blu-ray. I hope this will answer some of the points that have been raised here.

First off, what I have been promoting here is the Director’s Cut DVD/BD of Healer that is being produced in South Korea. South Korea is a small country with about 50 million population. Most people have fast internet and live in cramped apartment buildings. That means, the market for DVDs or BDs is very small and limited. People are used to downloading or streaming. In fact, those who pay for DVDs or BDs are often seen crazy for wasting money. Thus, only hard-core Drama fans (드덕) buy DVDs or BDs to keep as a collection. In fact, Blu-ray is so uncommon in Korea that if you look at Healer DC Gallery’s posts lately, about 1/5 of the posts are questions/information about the format of BD: its resolution, what devices will play it, etc.

From the Production’s standpoint, there is no money in releasing their show on DVD/BD. In the past, they had often lost money by producing DVDs or BDs at all. That’s why when fans want their favorite drama to be released on DVD/BD, they have to work hard to convince the producers that it will be worthwhile. That is why my team (a group of fan volunteers spending our own money and time) has been organizing a website for gathering fan interest, doing the preliminary survey to give the producers an estimate of how many copies will be sold once they make the DVD/BD.

If fans don’t do it, they simply won’t produce them on DVD/BD in KOREA. Now, if the show is popular enough overseas, maybe the rights will be bought and somebody else may release DVDs or BDs. Look at Faith, for example. There was a team among Korean fans that organized to gather up fan interest, but it fell through for various reasons, so there is no official DVD/BD of Faith in Korea. It was officially released in Japan, and I’ve also seen a Malaysian version on Amazon and ebay, but Korean fans have NOTHING.

Now, the price is really high compared to what you normally see for DVDs and BDs in the US, but that’s because the US has a huge market, and the production cost can be diffused by the sheer numbers. The price is normal for Koreans, because the producers only make just the amount they think they can sell and the production cost is high. Especially with the BD, even after selling all 1,000 copies, they will only break even. From the production’s point of view, they’re doing the fans a huge favor by releasing it at all.

As an international fan, you can either choose to wait and see if some third party puts Healer on DVD/BD for US or Japan release (which may or may not have the same special features and gifts as the Director’s Cut), or you can bite the bullet and order it from YesAsia or Innolife. The fact that YesAsia is not shipping to the US or that the DVD excludes region 2 suggests the possibility of a future release in those regions, but they probably will only do that if they think they’ll make a profit out of it.

@cmoirae If the blu-ray pre-order sale does not make 1,000, it will be canceled and that doesn’t mean your order will change to DVD. You’ll just get your money refunded. As someone who ordered a blu-ray myself, I believe that we’ll make it happen as DC Gallers are promoting it hard. It’s in fact very unusual to have sold so many already when nothing of the special features or pre-order gifts have been decided. When Writer SJN approved of including the book-bound scripts for the entire drama, sales went up significantly. Also, many people are waiting to see the ending of the drama before placing their order.

terbi said:

Sorry for the upcoming rant, but....

This is where a whopping huge FAIL is given to the entities marketing/selling the 'Healer' DVDs.  By their random and arbitrary "no shipping to North America rules," YesAsia is missing out on THE LARGEST hallyu purchasing block in the world.  Their shipments originate from their warehouses in Hong Kong, so you're telling me North America is on a no-fly zone?  Improbable and impossible... and this is why their Blu-ray sales to date show so little interest.

BTW, I realize that a lot of money is being expended to bring these DVDs to market, and $384.00 USD (before shipping) for a Director's Cut may be nothing but chump change to fans here in the States, but even some of us with really well-paying jobs have a hard time swallowing that cost.  I have already voiced my discontent to YesAsia's customer service department, but highly doubt I'll receive any sort of answer other than "sawwy." 

Since my next trip to Korea (where I could pick up one in person) is not scheduled until early July, I've placed my order with Innolife since I already have an account there.  I just hope and pray all the actors, the production company and anyone else involved with "Healer" receive the proper royalties from these sales and are not marginalized or cut out in any way. 

:)

>-

@amvondo‌ hello :)

Just helping out with questions.

1. I think what you assumed is right as other dramas don't have problems shipping to North America. I don't know why this is as I would feel so much more comfortable ordering from YesAsia but alas, it cannot be helped.

2. The price of the DVD is cheaper than the BluRay. I am not sure what is the price listed for DVD since I ordered the BluRay version which was $285 on Innolife. With EMS shipping ( the fastest And safest), I paid around $341 in total. I believe the DVD is either $169? Or $199?