[Drama 2011-2012] My Daughter, the Flower / Kkot Nim, My Daughter 내 딸 꽃님이 Episode Recaps on p5-6 ^^

Guest sunshine4ever

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 7 November 26, 2011

flower_0701.jpg

More than being shocked by the monstrous debt, Soon-ae and Kkot-nim are in utter disbelief that Soo-chul would actually act irresponsibly. Not that they are selfishly blaming him, but I guess his decisions relating to money matters, were an incredulous mismatch with their beloved image of him – steady and reliable, and one can understand the spurt of quick anger from the two women. Soon-ae reveals that the bank froze Soo-chul’s account, but promises Kkot-nim that she’ll find a way out of it, but still, it isn’t helping to reassure her. She crumples her tuition registration, knowing that she can’t afford the fees. As for Soon-ae, she can only fall back on her jewellery, however minimal. She reminiscences the happy times, when Soo-chul gave her a pair of gold rings, and promised her a diamond ring in the future.

flower_07_02.jpg

At then, she had treasured the gift too much to wear it around, now, even Mi-sook is surprised to see the rings on her finger. Soon-ae tells her that she’s wearing it for a while before she sells them. If she had known it would come to this, she would have wore it to her heart’s content, at that so long time ago. She shares the good news that she has found work as a cleaning lady; Mi-sook is dumbfounded, for Soon-ae never much did any heavy chores because Soo-chul had disallowed it. Not as if she has a choice, as Soon-ae reminds her friend that she has to eke out a living.

Still, she needs to impose on Mi-sook’s kindness again, to loan her Kkot-nim’s tuition fees. That is what was bothering Kkot-nim in the morning, when she yelled at Hong-dan, something Soon-ae realized only later, when cleaning Kkot-nim’s room and having found her balled-up registration papers. On learning that the bank will soon take possession of the house, Mi-sook sighs that it would be good if they can keep it. She remembers how Kkot-nim’s mother had toiled to purchase it, scrimped to the point of wearing her husband’s old underwear. It’s thanks to her that Soo-chul’s business got off the ground, “I’ve never seen a more diligent person.” Soon-ae feels sorrier than ever, likely for not safeguarding the house, and her lesser contributions to the family.

flower_07_03.jpg

Money sure is the evil of troubles, sparing neither the poor or the rich. Young-ae spares no efforts in achieving her means, and now it’s her turn to call Chun-man’s bluff. She hands him the divorce papers, as per his wish, thus re-opening negotiations, but not before she pours out her sad story of how she sacrificed her youth for him, only to have his business usurp her position. She has no existence of Self, and soon her children will be leaving the nest too, “what’s there to look forward to in my life?” she dry sobs. And to give him the extra push, she reminds him that she’s entitled to half of his total assets upon divorce, and Chun-man relents, agreeing to let her have a shop unit. She’s not stopping at that, insisting on another building, which is annoying Chun-man and setting the negotiations at a standstill.

She lets Chae-kyung in on her ploy, that she’ll be moving back to her maiden family temporary, if only to persuade her father to send her overseas. It’s imperative that she goes, foremost to seek psychiatric help, for rumors will spread if she were to seek assistance in their country. Chae-kyung is apologetic that she’s the cause of the troubles, but her mother assures her that she’s here for her, “I’ll do anything to prevent any misfortune befalling my child.” She encourages Chae-kyung to seek her own happiness, and she’ll assist her in forgetting all the bad memories. “Trust me,” mother reassures. Well, right or wrong, it’s still parental love.

flower_07_08.jpg

I don’t know if the thought of losing his wife, or her entitlement to half his assets, is more worrying for Chun-man, because he surrenders to her requests, but not before she agrees to a written understanding that she’s not privileged to his remaining assets ever. That’s good enough for Young-ae, and she passionately thanks her grouchy husband, only to have Chae-wan walk in on them, with Young-ae chiding him for not having the decency to knock!

Chae-wan teases that they should have at least shut the door before doing whatever they were doing, and reminds her that they are underage kids in the home, “the sun hasn’t set and you’re here making all the adult-rated moves,” raising his father’s ire and earning a kick on his butt. He pesters his mother about getting him a new car, she chides him about it being the least important issue at present. At which he pleases her by telling, that he has got everything work out, to have Chae-kyung go on her study trip.

flower_07_06.jpg

Concerned about the silent rift between father and son, Grandma speaks to Jae-ho about Sang-hyuk. She knows how he’s affected by Joon-hyuk’s accident, and how much Joon-hyuk means to him, “but I hope you wouldn’t lay blame on Sang-hyuk.” To Jae-ho’s credit, he doesn’t deny it – if it weren’t for Sang-hyuk, Joon-hyuk wouldn’t have been there. His mother agrees, and assuming that Sang-hyuk is at fault, should a parent blame his child forever? Shouldn’t a parent be forgiving of his child’s mistakes? “You said you never regarded him as someone else’s child, but then, why are you acting like this?”

At least, Jae-ho isn’t defensive, and to some extent, he knows he’s wrong to treat Sang-hyuk thus, he tells his mother that he needs time to get over it, “I don’t want this too, but I’m angry just looking at Sang-hyuk. I’m not sure why either.” If it were someone else involved, it’s likely he wouldn’t even lay blame, but the regret and blame deepens, simply because he has raised him for 20 years. Genuinely troubled by the emotional conflict, he asks his mother to allow him more time, “I can’t understand my feelings either. Some things just cannot be forced.”

flower_07_07.jpg

Not having anyone to share his troubles, Sang-hyuk can only speak to his brother. He’s not sure what he should do now, but he’s certain that his father doesn’t like him. He reveals that he overheard the elders’ conversation when he was in middle school, he then pauses to ask Joon-hyuk if he’s even listening to him, “I’m wanting to tell you what you wanted to know. I’ve never spoken of this to anyone.” He continues that, on learning the secret, he wanted to throw himself into the river. But he never did it, because it was when Joon-hyuk began tagging behind him wherever he went, “it’s all because of you.”

It was extremely hard on him then, as he wondered what kind of parents would abandon their child. At some point, he even wondered if they would come looking for him, if they were to read in the news, that he had thrown himself over the railway tracks, “and I had every intention to do that. But I failed at the attempt, because you came tagging behind me again. You called out: Hyung, where are you going? and came right up behind me. In this way, you saved me numerous times. But it’s I who in turn, caused you to be injured.” He apologizes to his brother, and begs him to wake up, so he can redeem himself, “for my sake, please wake up,” he tears. And too consumed with his grief, Sang-hyuk never saw the glimmer of hope, as Joon-hyuk reacts with a brief twitch on his face…

flower_07_09.jpg

Soon-ae has started work, and it was what made Kkot-nim nervous the night before, when she’s out later than usual. Soon-ae is pleased with the concern, reminds her not to wait up for her again, although she left out a major detail about who she’s working for. Secrets are hard to keep though, given that it happens to be bait for Missy Knock-out Teeth to trample on Kkot-nim’s pride. When failing to extract an apology from Kkot-nim, she hints that Soon-ae is cleaning house for them, which of course is sounding like the greatest joke to Kkot-nim. Or not entirely. Together with Hong-dan, she stakes out the house just to affirm if it’s all a fib, only to see her stepmother being bullied.

flower_07_05.jpg

No where admitting, but it hurts Kkot-nim to see Soon-ae at the mercy of others, just for her sake. She’s more determined to send Soon-ae on her way, when on learning that she has registered her for tuition, so that she gets into college. Unfeelingly, Kkot-nim tells her that she needn’t be responsible for Soo-chul’s debts, moreover they aren’t blood relations, and Soon-ae had already done more than necessary for them, “please go.” She continues that she contacted her relatives, and will be putting up with them, and she’ll be leaving once the paperwork is done for her school transfer.

Soon-ae tells of her wish to stay by her side, insisting that she’s not a burden to her. But Kkot-nim is refusing the sympathy, “our destiny ended when my father passed on. Leave. Your dallying isn’t helping me at all. It’s only making it harder on me! Let’s stop tormenting one another. My father can only be at peace, if you’re living a good life!” Unable to persuade Kkot-nim to hear her out, Soon-ae drowns her sorrows in the cups. And misery and alcohol just don’t mix well, for Soon-ae’s faith begins to flicker. Clutching her child’s clothing, she makes her way out to the beach.

flower_07_04.jpg

Grief has her speaking to Soo-chul, telling that she has done all she could, but Kkot-nim is still refusing to accept her, “I can’t even protect my child, and now, even Kkot-nim doesn’t need me. Just what should I do? Tell me!” she cries. In troubled daze, she smiles on seeing her late husband amid the water, and she makes her way out. She’s too wearied, and she can’t hold it together anymore, she confesses, “I too…I too want to go to where you are…” As she waddles further out, Kkot-nim rushes towards her. She had panicked and came searching, when she saw the broken glass on the kitchen floor, and the blood spatters left behind when Soon-ae was cut. Now, she’s close to tears, holding on to Soon-ae.

At least Soon-ae isn’t in hysteria, as she calmly tells Soon-ae that a person like her shouldn’t be alive, “I should have died then, at when your father rescued me. I can understand that you hate me. If it weren’t for me, he wouldn’t have died. If only I had died then…” With a determined look, Soon-ae turns back towards the sea, and Kkot-nim, still grabbing on to her, cries out that she doesn’t really hate her, and she never intended for her to take her life, just merely wants her to live well! “My father and mother are dead. What would become of me, if you were to die too? I’m afraid of being left alone in this world!” She adds that she has a death wish too, just that she’s holding herself together through sheer strength; at last, threatening, “if you die, I’ll follow right behind you too…! So, I’m begging you! Please don’t die…!”

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/my-daughter-flower-episode-7/

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 8 November 27, 2011

flower_08_04.jpg

Kkot-nim and Soon-ae, each wants a promise from the other. No more attempted suicides, and the other can’t just take off and leave. Kkot-nim mumbles that Soon-ae is a fool for not leaving at the first opportunity. Without her, she’ll have less a burden. Soon-ae tells her that it’s because she needs her more, “with you by my side, I can face any future hardships. Let’s face it together, no matter how tough it’s going to be.” Kkot-nim foresees that it may not be so now, but what if the road gets harder in the future, and with her really becoming a burden?

“No parent in this world will regard their child as a burden,” Soon-ae tells her, then nervously reveals that she has a child, but lost him/her a week after birth. She searched everywhere but the effort was in vain. She became a walking dead then, blaming her fate and the world – why save her when she wanted to die? “But I know why now. I have to live, just so to be your mother. Let me be your mother, Kkot-nim.” She holds her hands, and promises, “like your late mother, I will work hard at being such a mother to you.”

flower_08_05.jpg

Soon-ae refuses Kkot-nim’s offer to get a part-time job. Work is her responsibility, and Kkot-nim’s duty is to put efforts in her studies. If she wants to unload her burden, she can do that after she graduates, “there are many single mothers raising their children too. I’ll send you to college, no matter what.” The fact that Soon-ae is cleaning house for her schoolmate, still stings. Soon-ae understands, but she has to at least fulfill the promised work period. Only till then, as she’s unhappy working for that family too. Still, she tells Kkot-nim that she’s earning their money with honest efforts, and she shouldn’t feel that she’s beneath her schoolmate.

flower_08_06.jpg

Kkot-nim is gaily swinging, and swinging her lunch-bag. Hong-dan gets that she’s bragging, and she has every right to, given that Soon-ae takes the trouble to make her a lunchbox. Her mother is less concerned, preferring that she grabs a quick bite outside. Their happy mood is interrupted by her problematic schoolmate, who’s sounding a warning for her to “watch out.” She’s not going into details, but she has that itching-for-a-punch look on her face, continuing with her low, ominous threat, “you’ll soon know what (to watch out for).” It’s not as if the two girls care.

flower_08_07.jpg

Due to the family tragedy, Sang-hyuk’s birthday is momentarily forgotten. Grandma wants Jae-ho to at least call him, since they aren’t in the circumstance to even celebrate it with a birthday dinner. Off the phone, she blames herself for not even preparing him the customary seaweed soup, then sets to work at cooking it herself; her heart aching over her pitiful grandson. Jae-ho, meanwhile, is distracted about a strange dream he had, when he dozed off at work. Joon-hyuk returns home well, and as he was basking in blessed joy, his adult son is transformed to his seven year-old self.

flower_08_08.jpg

It’s one of those premonitory dreams where one wakes up perplexed, and only reads its meaning when the dream presents itself in reality. Not long after, the hospital calls with good news, or is it bad? Joon-hyuk is awake, much to the elders’ joy, but there’s cause for concern because he isn’t responding to his father and grandmother. He’s scared about something, and he’s only wanting his brother. But Sang-hyuk is knocked out at the pub, where his friends had earlier insisted that they celebrate his birthday to cheer him up some – much as he was unwilling, as it’s not exactly a situation to be celebrating. Sober some time later, he takes a dig at himself – is it even his birthday? Not that it matters, since no one really cares when he was born. He checks his cell, dashes off when he gets his family’s messages…

flower_08_09.jpg

Jae-ho and Grandma were already anxious and frustrated about not reaching Sang-hyuk, now, their mood plunges right down to ground, as Professor Song explains Joon-hyuk’s condition – dysmnesia, leading him to revert to a seven year-old. Brain damage is a factor, but it’s also a symptom of psychological self-defence. He’s unconsciously erasing the bad memories, and there’s no specific treatment for now, until they identify his actual fear.

Sang-hyuk is seriously a case of bad timing and bad luck, his slurred speech annoys his father further, accusing him for enjoying himself, and at a time when his brother was desperately looking for him. Sang-hyuk has nothing to say for himself, other than apologize, and then Joon-hyuk awakens with a welcoming smile, “Hyung-a…!” And I thought: his little brother saves him again. And one would think that Jae-ho would be as glad as his mother, that at least Joon-hyuk recognizes someone. But I think it’s likely to deepen Jae-ho’s displeasure at his son – for where is poetic justice, if one assumes Jae-ho’s state of mind.

flower_08_10.jpg

I like to think that justice metes itself out slowly, as in making Young-ae jumps out of her skin, at the slightest mention of anything related to the accident. Chae-wan pesters his father for an imported vehicle, gets blasted for the extravagance, then turns his annoyance at his mother – for she lost his car somewhere! She nods nervously to pacify him, that she’ll get it back, and he’s pacified, only to have Mr. Car Disposal hounding her for the cash, sending her into another anxiety mode.

She sneaks into the bathroom to speak, assuring him that she’s going to make the money transfer, like now. She’s caught by her husband, who’s suspicious of her sneaky ways, and she lies that she’s pestered by some real estate lady to make a purchase. But finally, she’s going to have some peace, as by this episode hits the end, she and Chae-kyung are leaving the country. She assures her daughter that they have done right by leaving, and allows her the liberty to forget the past, “a new world is waiting. I’ve seen to everything perfectly.”

flower_08_11.jpg

But there’s no perfection to life, just almost perfect, at its best. Soon-ae slogs away everyday, but she earns Kkot-nim’s concern in return. That is almost perfect, for who smiles away when scrubbing piece after piece of barbeque racks? Kkot-nim bought spicy rice cakes, and helps her out, then concerned when she noticed a cut, quickly tending to it. Soon-ae notes that she could probably study to be a doctor, seeing how she’s carrying a first-aid kit about in her bag – medical aid for herself and friends. Kkot-nim thinks that’s probably asking for too much, as in she’s not made out for that, or perhaps, the hefty course fees.

Soon-ae then tells her that they will be moving soon. Somewhere further away, if they were to get a place with a cheaper rent. It’s as if their future suddenly became bleak, as Kkot-nim stills to the news, voice cracking some as she acknowledges it, but Soon-ae is quick to encourage her. Even her colleague managed to send both her kids to college, and that means she can too, “since I’ve only one child.” Touched by her love and determination, Kkot-nim feeds her a bite, then promises that she’ll someday give her a treat at some upscale establishment.

flower_08_03.jpg

It looks like everyone is moving. Mi-sook is, and Hong-dan isn’t happy about it, so mother and daughter are at a standoff. Mi-sook announces that it’s likely they will be moving to Seoul. With an extra property and the financial debt, it makes sense to sell their current premise to finance the bank loan. Also, Seoul is a more favorable choice to make a livelihood, and in providing educational opportunities for her daughter. But she fumes that the lass is kicking up a fuss about moving away, as she doesn’t want to part with Kkot-nim. Soon-ae knows that Kkot-nim will be affected too, as they will be moving soon (the house will be repossessed by the bank). They can’t afford anything permanent, and she plans to rent a place for now, “it’s tough but I’m happy, as Kkot-nim is showing me lots of concern,” she smiles.

On learning that Soon-ae will be moving too, Mi-sook is worried for their future, but soon figures out something brilliant – Soon-ae and Kkot-nim can come along with them to Seoul! Why not rent a room from them, at which it can help to finance their Seoul purchase, and on top of that, the girls needn’t part. It’s killing two birds with one stone! She’s so excited about her plan that she’s not even waiting for Soon-ae to agree, or disagree. That’s settled then, as she bounces off to start packing up for the move. I would so love a friend like Mi-sook.

flower_08_02.jpg

And with all that, it means we’ll be heading to Seoul soon, with all the major developments lined up. So can’t wait. Anyway, some drama before that, as Kkot-nim’s pain-in-the-butt strikes again, following up with her threat. This time, she has Kkot-nim and Hong-dan accosted, for a good thrashing. Kkot-nim defends Hong-dan, yelling for her to go and get help, while she suffers the blows. Soon-ae learns of the attack on Kkot-nim, and with broom in hand, she charges towards enemy lines, yelling at their audacity to hit her daughter! Soon-ae’s protective reaction, reminds Kkot-nim of her mother, who was always there for her when she was bullied. Be it relief, gratitude or a reaction out of a dazed moment, Kkot-nim is thoroughly touched by Soon-ae’s gesture, as she cries out, “omma!”

And the scene fades off to seven years later.

flower_08_01.jpg

It’s Seoul. It’s still the fiery Kkot-nim, and she’s upset about something, as she charges down the street to a small fried chicken establishment, where we see Soon-ae busy at work. She yells at her stepmother for mending her underwear again! How much does a piece of underwear cost, for her to dress this shabbily? Obviously, it’s a scene re-enacted several times, as Soon-ae lightly warns her about disposing of it, “no one is going to see it.” And it’s re-fueling Kkot-nim’s frustration, when she notices that Soon-ae had went round picking up worn clothing – again! She forcibly tries to remove the overcoat, which Soon-ae put on in place of an apron, and Soon-ae puts up a struggle to stop her…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/my-daughter-flower-episode-8/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 9 November 27, 2011

flower_09_01.jpg

Soon-ae defends her action, that the overcoat is cleaned and sterilized – total hygiene even if it may come from some bins. Kkot-nim is tired of arguing, removes it and slips on a pretty apron in place. She continues to grumble, that she doesn’t want to be talked about for lacking the basic ability to dress her mother, “can’t you respect my rights?” Soon-ae reminds her that she’s still out of a job, and it’s only right to be thrifty. Not anymore, Kkot-nim reveals, remembers that she was supposed to share the good news, but got fumingly distracted when she noticed Soon-ae’s patched underwear. She’s starting work the next day, as a rehab therapist at one of the top rehabilitation hospital.

Soon-ae is too excited, suggest they have a chicken-beer party that night, to celebrate. Her joy is spilled over to a lucky customer, who’s getting more chicken than her order. Kkot-nim chides her for the generosity, it’s not as if the business is hers. Soon-ae reminds her that she has worked here long enough, to make simple decisions like this one. Moreover, she is popular among the customers, with her returning customers (making up more of the income) than the proprietor’s customers. And her boss has to appear now, obviously having heard every word. Mi-sook warns her – with no ill-intent – about talking behind her back, or she might just fire her.

flower_09_02.jpg

She’s unlike her usual chirpy self, unenthusiastically asks what’s the happy matter going on between mother and daughter? Soon-ae shares the good news, and how she was worried that Kkot-nim might turned a loafer, when her former place of employment shut the doors, just as she had barely worked two months. That word stings, and Mi-sook warns her about even mentioning it, “as the mother of a loafer, it hurts.” Soon-ae reminds her that, to start with, she didn’t want Hong-dan to be working, just waiting to marry her off. And that’s what’s causing the bigger heartbreak.

Mi-sook approached the florist down the street for a favor. She’s always bragging about her husband – an insurance man – walking in and out of the doors of prestigious corporations, and Mi-sook figures he can help match-make Hong-dan. Only to be put down, on grounds that Hong-dan has neither academic qualifications, social standing or even a job! Her heart was bleeding, furious enough to turn back for a rebuttal, just that she had nothing to say, because all that is said about Hong-dan, it’s the damn truth! She turns the blame on her daughter now, for she can’t even make it to a better college, considering how she had made the decision to come to Seoul, just for her! Soon-ae warns her about feeling sorry for herself! Hong-dan is still young; who knows, but a prince on white horse might just come for her the next day. Mi-sook isn’t greedy though, “I don’t need somebody on a white horse! I don’t care if he comes on a bicycle! As long as somebody comes!” HA.HA.

Soon-ae tells her to cut the crap and get to work, make more money to afford a bigger dowry when the time comes, “Hong-dan is healthy and a kind girl. She’ll meet someone good!” But Mi-sook is too wrung to work, and stalks off for home. Just that, the scene greeting her, is boiling her some more. Her no-good husband, and no-good daughter are happily winning and losing at card games. She messes up the game, Young-pil fussed that he was on a rare winning streak, and Hong-dan figures something must be eating at her. And Mi-sook turns on the ammunition at her – she can’t even study, and hasn’t even a skill to her name! Whereas, Kkot-nim has already found work! She frustrates further when father and daughter see not her point, instead, genuinely offering their congratulations to Kkot-nim.

flower_09_03.jpg

Now that Kkot-nim is employed, Hong-dan worries about her mother putting more pressure on her. Not that she isn’t working, but a part-time job as a stand-in girlfriend, just isn’t the kind of work that will please her mother. Kkot-nim voices that she isn’t supportive of what she’s doing too, even though it pays well; Hong-dan agrees and promises that this is the last assignment, after today. But her plans are in a knot right now, as she receives a call that a college mate attempted suicide over her boyfriend, and is now in emergency. She needs to go, and she’s begging Kkot-nim to stand in for her. She can’t back out of it, because she has accepted the advance payment.

flower_09_04.jpg

Reluctant, but Kkot-nim relents. She puts on wig, mini, stiletto, the whole other-woman getup. She has to help the client shake off his girlfriend, by whatever means. She tries out her lines in the ladies room, then gets to work. She’s the pregnant girlfriend, threatening suicide if her man dares ditch her! A drama ensues, attracting the attention of Sang-hyuk from the neighboring table. So, spurned girlfriend slaps heartless boyfriend, and storms off in a huff.

Kkot-nim gets caught in the path of the whirlwind, topples back and slams right into Sang-hyuk. As she falls, by some gravitational pull/push, she somehow claws her way down his side, and runs a slit down his pants, conveniently aided by an earlier tear, when he caught the side hem in the door of his vehicle. We want only women’s legs and men’s abs (non-switchable), so, Sang-hyuk isn’t exactly a sexy sight. He’s downright embarrassed, too flustered to be angry, although he really is. He gives a low warning for her to stay put, while he sees to his modesty. But who would, as Kkot-nim slinks away at the first opportunity, muttering an apology to him (that she can’t afford to pay for his attire), and a curse directed at Hong-dan.

flower_09_06.jpg

Sang-hyuk’s curse of bad timing and the lack of luck continues to hound him. For, of all days, it has to be today, that he’s scheduled to interview job applicants for /zishen/, in suit for the upper half of his body, and track pants for the lower half – not exactly fashion sense, befitting an employee of a renowned apparel business. Chae-kyung – she’s back – thought he was attractive at first sight, but not anymore, when her gaze falls on his mismatched attire. Talk about judging a man by his clothes – all the better.

Whatever treatment she had in the States, it worked. Now, she’s of burgeoning confidence, bordering on an arrogance. She has a impressive résumé, and if not for specifically wanting to marry a Korean, she probably wouldn’t be back. And now that she is, she expects the same, or better remuneration package, that an American company would offer her, at least something that wouldn’t hurt her pride. And how much is her pride worth, Sang-hyuk wonders? She’s stumped, but asks in return, how much worth is Sang-hyuk’s pride then? Sang-hyuk doesn’t seem impressed, but his colleague Hye-jin is.

flower_09_12.jpg

Touching up her makeup, she mumbles about Sang-hyuk’s fashion, as well as his senseless questions. She then wonders if the business is indeed that rich, although she could see that the ladies’ room has class. Meeting her mother later, she criticizes Sang-hyuk again, then laments about not meeting good-quality men. Young-ae consoles that she will, once she joins the workforce. But Chae-kyung isn’t keen about working, and wonders if she really has to do so? She has to, as Young-ae points out that there’s a difference in standards between career women, and women of leisure. And we have about seen all we should see of Chae-kyung, if her hollow speech should be a representation of her character. I said a silent thanks, that at least the men in her house are polar opposites, and that I’ve only two characters to dislike. A Guinness record, by daily drama standards.

flower_09_05.jpg

The years have not shaved off Chun-man’s penny-pinching ways, but not in a bad way. At least, he doesn’t waste, unlike Young-ae who cares not for complimentary gifts that are three years in age. She dumps the unused pans, he picks them back, and she convinces him that they should be dumped. Chun-man is likeable in an understated way, which I feel is both of a successful casting, and a nicely-written character. He’s so in a corner, that one would give him the least attention, but his temperament is so moderated and sincere, without the faking like Young-ae, that I like watching him. And I would choose to only watch him, over Young-ae and Chae-kyung. He’s boorish but not unreasonable, he’s careful with his money, rather than stingy. Often, he may grumble but doesn’t make a ruckus over it, and in this way, I hate it when Young-ae patronizes him.

Already having an appointment with Chae-kyung, Young-ae refuses to make him dinner. He wants ramyun then, but she’s not cooking it for him too. She tells him to get Chae-wan to do it, which then incurs his ire that his no-good son is wasting away at home, than at work. Chae-wan prefers to be strumming on his guitar, as there are part-timers doing his work. His father angrily reminds that part-timers aren’t the boss, and it’s precisely such attitude, that is allowing his staff to get into trouble. He’s annoyed that young people today needn’t toil or starve, to see the importance of making a living!

flower_09_07.jpg

Well, not all young people. We learn that Sang-hyuk has worked his way up from the lowest rung. Seven years on, and his relationship with his father remains in ice age, although Sang-hyuk does seem to be distancing voluntary. I notice how he’s lacking of a want to explain, as when his father criticized his unfashionable attire, like he needed to be revved up to speak, or even, like he needed to sort out his words and sentences before he speaks. He isn’t cold but he’s briefer than before, as if he understands that he will always say the wrong things. Yet, he keeps the spark of defiance, and he expresses it, albeit less antagonistic. Like he doesn’t care, but inversely, it shows he’s still sensitive.

Discussing the potential of the candidates, Hye-jin thinks that they have some good choices on hand. Noting Sang-hyuk’s silence, Jae-ho asks if he doesn’t has an opinion? Sang-hyuk is short with his reply, saying that Hye-jin will see to it, wouldn’t she, “anyway, I’m not authorized over personnel matters.” Jae-ho asks if he’s displaying dissatisfaction over the fact then; still cool, Sang-hyuk replies that with Hye-jin overseeing the matter, why would he be? Hye-jin detects a thorn in his speech, not that Sang-hyuk is denying.

After he leaves the room, Jae-ho asks for Hye-jin’s understanding. She agrees that Sang-hyuk has got quite the character, but in a way, he’s special, seeing how he insisted on working his way up. Jae-ho is rather disappointed by that fact though, as Sang-hyuk really needn’t have gone through that route, although Hye-jin feels that Sang-hyuk is wanting to earn Jae-ho’s recognition.

flower_09_08.jpg

So, who is Hye-jin? I’m not sure at this point, but I think she’s a family friend, who did spend a good amount of time tagging behind Jae-ho when she was younger, and played pranks on Sang-hyuk and Joon-hyuk. She alternates between addressing Jae-ho as ajusshi and Director (at work), she’s obviously close with Grandma, and the boys call her noona. And there seems to be a romantic vibe coming through so far, like Grandma eager to match-make it to fruition. Just that, Jae-ho isn’t interested, or does he even know?

She complains that Jae-ho never once took her out to lunch, even though she’s with the company for three months now. Grandma reveals that the men in her family share the same reserved trait, similar to that of her late husband. She would be glad for them to change, as Hye-jin said they will, once they fall deeply in love. Later, she tells Jae-ho that seeing Joon-hyuk, she now understands the reason for his aloofness. It must be extremely hard on him. Jae-ho replies that things are better now, for Joon-hyuk couldn’t recognize anyone when he first returned home. She takes her leave, (well, it’s actually Jae-ho who asked if she isn’t leaving yet), and soon Jae-ho is chided by his mother for not sending Hye-jin home.

flower_09_11.jpg

Soon-ae reminds Kkot-nim to hold her temper at her new workplace, lest she implicates herself into another one of her previous situation, of fighting with her sunbae. Kkot-nim clarifies that’s because she was standing up of justice, a trait inherited from her. Soon-ae sings of her pride, of how Kkot-nim eventually completes college, despite having to take temporary absences from college, just to earn her college fees, “you took 5 years when others needed only 3. And you even managed to get a job despite the competition. If only I were more capable, then it needn’t be so hard on you.” Kkot-nim glares and warns her of such talk again, Soon-ae tells her that’s really because she’s thankful to her.

Kkot-nim shares a past incident, when she had craved for fried chicken. It was after her father’s passing and Soon-ae was working as a dishwasher, not a time when they could afford such luxuries. But one night, Soon-ae came back with just that, and she was delighted. Only to notice that Soon-ae’s hands were swelled from all the washing, “I’ll never forget that. And it was then, I promised myself that I’ll be the best daughter to you. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have the courage to complete my education. After all, we were penniless when we left Sokcho. From then on, fried chicken became my favorite food.” She now promises her stepmother that when her career takes off, she will shower her with good food and leisure, like what other mothers are used to, “it will be the end of your hardship.” Soon-ae beams, “just listening to that, I feel I’m soaring.”

flower_09_09.jpg

As Jae-ho said, Joon-hyuk has shown improvement – if not being greedy about the degree. At least, he’s comfortable being at home, although he’s still like a kid, fully dependent on Sang-hyuk, who’s now practically parent, sibling and friend. He attends rehabilitative care at the hospital where Kkot-nim starts work today, and she learns from her superior about his medical history. Joon-hyuk likes being around cars, but he has a problem with being inside it, and they are trying to help him overcome his phobia, which has been unsuccessful, as of so far.

flower_09_10.jpg

Sang-hyuk comes by the hospital, and fist-plays with Joon-hyuk. Kkot-nim misunderstands that Joon-hyuk is being bullied, and yells to halt Sang-hyuk’s abusive ways…but. Uh.Oh. I did wonder briefly why Sang-hyuk didn’t recognize the girl from seven years before, but he still has a good eye, that’s for sure. For, with wig or the lack of one, he recognizes her for the girl at the cafe, just as at the same time, Kkot-nim gets that she’s in huge, huge trouble! She turns to flee, but he’s too quick for her, as he grabs hold of her arm…

Credit to:  http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/27/my-daughter-flower-episode-9/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 10 December 1, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

Forgive me. I’ve succumbed to my laziness and desperate need for more time, and want to do without the screencaps and sequenced recapping. I will gist through scenes where it less matter, but will abide by the promise to give details when called for. Basically, I’ll just be talking instead of recapping, like you and I discussing the episode over coffee, so to say. I know it’s going to be different from what you’re used to – you may like it, or you may not. But let’s meet mid-way, and hope we both can be comfortably happy.

To begin, Chun-man snipping up credit cards, beckons my ugliness. I gloated. I don’t care if he’s a detestable Scrooge, no matter how he’s painted to be one. The other three people in his family are weevils, as in the no-good beetles that know only to prey on crops and grains, as in we(are)evils. From now, Young-ae will have to book-keep her expenses, Chae-kyung will have to submit a proposal for any future use of money, and Chae-wan shall live and breathe, only through that flimsy thread of his (collapsing) cafe – a situation made worse by high employee turnover.

He’s less smart (or perhaps, he’s gullibly honest) than the two women, who are in triumph over hiding a credit card from Chun-man, thus lifting their financial woes. And so he now needs to keep the business afloat, staffed with people who aren’t going to resign at every minute. The solution: sky-high salary. And it works, snapped up the instant by Hong-dan, who’s guilty about involving Kkot-nim in the mess with Sang-hyuk, and wants to help pay for his torn pants. Her mother is also feeling guilty, about asking Soon-ae for an increase in rental. She has to, although she hoped it needn’t come to this, but her landlord is increasing the rental for her shop unit. It’s going to be tough for Soon-ae, but she understands that if not for Mi-sook’s generosity for the past seven years, it would be impossible for her to even rent a decent place.

I was in glee over the change in Soon-ae, in how she chased and tackled the thief. In an earlier episode, Kkot-nim mentioned that she takes over Soon-ae, in her fiery stand for justice. But I feel it’s Kkot-nim who influenced Soon-ae. I want Soon-ae to be gutsy, because there’s a hint at the press conference, of a possible relationship with Jae-ho (although I’m not sure if it will really work out). And Jae-ho, together with Sang-hyuk, need a someone each, to drill some sense into them, if not kick them out of emotional hibernation.

As of after Joon-hyuk’s accident, I thought some, about how Jae-ho and Sang-hyuk’s relationship will be mapped out thereafter, and I’m not looking forward to Jae-ho still carrying an obvious blame for Sang-hyuk. This is mostly because Park Sang-won has a warmth, which is what really makes him charismatically attractive, and I want to see that of him, if I’m going on the long ride with this story. So, I like that the years have erased that initial bitterness – which I feel isn’t without reason – and Jae-ho is actually troubled over their estrangement. He isn’t solely blaming Sang-hyuk for it, and understands to the point, that it’s also tough on Sang-hyuk to have to work with him, just that there’s no resolving around their widening distance. I’m liking this because, Joon-hyuk’s accident, then isn’t the core reason for their present state, and it continues to be about Sang-hyuk’s inferior complex of his unwanted status, as how it began. The accident merely strengthen Sang-hyuk’s belief. Not that Jae-ho didn’t add to the tension, but at least, he’s wanting to close the gap, but Sang-hyuk moves 50 steps backwards.

Jae-ho is open to Hye-jin, that one reason for recruiting her, other than for her capability, is wanting her to act as a buffer zone between father and son, like be a bridge or a mediator, since she has known Sang-hyuk since they were young. She readily agrees, but Sang-hyuk is a mule. The relationship between parent and child is always difficult, because it’s guarded by either a physical or an emotional duty, something that you can’t readily dispose, even if having sufficient reasons to support it. What Sang-hyuk feels for his father isn’t a feud, but an awkwardness borne out of his own reasoning, that his father is better off without him. It’s obvious, because he’s always attempting to stay out of Jae-ho’s way, and the lack of hostility, clears him of any disregard for his father. Or from another viewpoint, the lack of hostility is a show of unfeelingness, that is forced to a norm.

I can understand how Sang-hyuk will feel a permanent responsibility for his brother, but I also think that he feels Joon-hyuk is the only reason for his existence in the family. It’s like he is his only real family, and that somehow results in a possessiveness for Joon-hyuk. On the other hand, Jae-ho now becomes the envious party over the tight bonding. Either he feels that he has lost the closeness with his younger son to Sang-hyuk, or he feels left out.

Father and son argue over who should be reading Joon-hyuk’s bedtime story, and Joon-hyuk is upset that they are fighting, which they are quick to deny. Still, Joon-hyuk is insisting that they hold hands to make up – as all children are taught to do so. They oblige to pacify him, but it’s a feat for Sang-hyuk, leting go of Jae-ho’s hands when he can’t hold on longer. It hurts Jae-ho, as he asks his mother if Sang-hyuk holds her hands or hugs her, “I’m thinking if he dislikes only me.” His mother remembers that he would run into her arms as a kid, but ever since when, he stopped doing so. She believes that Joon-hyuk’s accident is cause for the distance, and tells Jae-ho to be understanding. “If I were to see it, both of you are alike. If only one of you is willing to open your heart.” Jae-ho replies that even if he’s willing to do so, the other party must be ready to accept the gesture.

I like Choi Jin-hyuk playing Sang-hyuk now, somewhere closer to his age, than he was playing the younger him. He’s at ease, and the jarring sense, in his failure to reconcile age and emotions, lines and expressions, is gone. While Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim met earlier, I didn’t feel the compatibility between the characters then, but I’m smiling a lot now, as I’ve been waiting and waiting for Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim to clash after the cafe incident, and I wasn’t disappointed. Two people, scripted for a romantic line, will in some way, react differently to each other, than when with others. I don’t see much of a change in Kkot-nim yet, but Sang-hyuk’s outburst is just runaway wild. It’s like he’s free to vent his suppressed frustration, without needing to adjust the degree of it, or to consider if he’s overstepping his boundaries, like when with his family. He’s just him, without the emotional baggage.

The last we left off, Sang-hyuk caught Kkot-nim, and the little drama playing out between them, is curiously amusing Joon-hyuk, although also concerned enough, to persuade his brother to keep a lid on his temper. But the embarrassment from yesterday, Kkot-nim’s deceit and irresponsibility have much determined Sang-hyuk’s perception of her. He’s rude with her, he asks what she intends to do about his pants, and then gets even upset to realize that she’s a therapist in this hospital. Kkot-nim drags him out to apologize, and he grumbles that he has never been embarrassed to this extent ever! But the greater issue isn’t so much about the pants – he’s forbidding his brother to be taken under her care as her character is questionable, given what she would do for money, putting the patients at risk. He refuses to hear her out, she grabs hold to ask him for a chance, unbalancing herself and landing her hands near his pant leg again; enough to startle him to a nervousness, warning her about getting anywhere near the vicinity of his pants!

image image

So he speaks to her superior, and although big-hearted enough to withhold the reasons for his request, but still creating enough damage for Kkot-nim. She rushes out to seek his forgiveness, “if word gets around, the family of other patients will bar me from caring for the other patients too.” Sang-hyuk thinks it’s a joke, “would you do such a thing if you’re one to worry about rumors?” He then threatens legal action if she continues to pester him, and she lets go. But more clashes the next day, when he sees her attending to Joon-hyuk. She seeks to explain what happened that day, but he’s bored with her excuses, and reminds her that she really need to keep her job, if she’s looking to compensate him, “do you really want to blow this up?” Sick of him harping on the compensation, she asks for the cost. He grabs a receipt from his pocket and shoves it in her face. Kkot-nim is shocked, “1.5 million won for a pair of pants?”

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/my-daughter-flower-episode-10/

Since we don't have screencap, will try to find some gif or photos

tumblr_ml6wjrYb4z1rpyw6wo1_250.gif

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 11 December 6, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

Kkot-nim mumbles her grumbles about the pricey pants, and Sang-hyuk gathers that she isn’t going to pay for it. She will, albeit with much unwillingness. Sang-hyuk tells her to forget it, and reminds her that she’s not to participate in his brother’s therapy sessions. Kkot-nim takes it that he’s making her choose between the two – pay up or stay away from Joon-hyuk’s treatment, and she’s angry at his absurdness, “I’ll never give up my patients for any amount of money! I’ll pay up. So does that mean I can take care of my patient now?” Sang-hyuk can’t believe how incredibly stubborn she is, he repeats that he will not let his brother be under the care of a person like her! She asks for a chance to explain the situation at the cafe, but before he can reply, they are interrupted by her colleague Mi-ra, who’s here to convey a message, that Joon-hyuk’s physician is wanting to speak to Sang-hyuk.

The improvement isn’t great, but at least Joon-hyuk is showing signs of being better. The physician attributes it to the love and care from his family, and Sang-hyuk is experiencing some relief. Making his way out, Kkot-nim bumps right into him. Blame it on sulky Mi-ra who insisted that she discards the pile of carton boxes, blame it on the pile of carton boxes that’s obstructing her view, blame it on her lousy luck for the day. Sang-hyuk’s impatience with her crosses the boundary, and he’s screaming his head off at her – is she doing this on purpose just to get back at him? She explains that her view was obstructed and it was not on purpose, apologizing profusely for her wrong, but he doesn’t care for it, “I’m not interested in unapologetic apologies!” He storms off, and she wonders just what’s wrong with her day. Later, while arranging the patients’ medical files, she grumbles to herself about Sang-hyuk refusing to let her help care for Joon-hyuk. She’s sure she can be of help, as she has had experience with a former patient.

Sang-hyuk’s family is happy to learn of Joon-hyuk’s progress, and Grandma thanks him for his dedication to his brother over the years. Alone with Jae-ho later, she chides him for not praising Sang-hyuk for his efforts. Jae-ho thinks that not everything needs to be spelled out, Sang-hyuk will know, moreover, he’s not good at mushy talk. His mother points out their resemblance, much as Jae-ho might not like it. Why wouldn’t Sang-hyuk be, given how Jae-ho is setting himself up with the same attitude for Sang-hyuk to take after? They are equally stubborn, and difficult to get through to. Then, a brief outburst in the quiet evening, as Sang-hyuk gets mad over his grandmother’s plans to set him up for marriage dates.

He sees Joon-hyuk going through the pictures of some women, happily announcing that hyung is getting married. Not if he can help it. Sang-hyuk frustratingly repeats that he’s not getting married, like ever, and his grandmother should stop bringing him these pictures. She’s not sure why he wouldn’t, it’s not as if he’s lacking in any way. His father chides his impoliteness, and questions his absurd declaration, “do you have the want to stay single?” Sang-hyuk isn’t sure if it’s because he wants to stay single, what he does know is that he has no desire for marriage, and that’s why he’s against it, “I’m afraid of becoming like you. To be honest, there never was much happiness in your life, isn’t it?” And Jae-ho is stumped for a reply.

Determined to pay Sang-hyuk for his pants, Kkot-nim jumps at the opportunity for part-time work at the cafe. She meets Hong-dan, who has arranged for her to meet Chae-wan. Obviously he has forgotten, because he appears only several hours later after the appointed time, and he’s tipsy, with girl in arms. With Hong-dan out to dump the garbage, Kkot-nim has no idea who he is, and so she reflexively punches him when he mistakes her for his girl, and tries to kiss her. He staggers home, bruised and smarting in pain, but the thing is, his memory is hazy from intoxication, and can’t remember what took place.

Meanwhile, Kkot-nim is still fuming over the incident – she should have swung another punch! And as if she’s not mad enough, Hong-dan voices a regret that she lost her first kiss just like that, Kkot-nim rages, “what first kiss? It’s only an accidental bumping!” Hong-dan, smitten to an ignorance, comments that she never figured this side to Chae-wan, Kkot-nim begs to differ, “he has playboy written all over his face!” Hong-dan worries if they will lose their job over this, but Kkot-nim isn’t the least worried, “what wrong did we do? We’ve every right to work there!” Then, reminds Hong-dan to keep the incident a secret.

Giving her stepmother a massage, Kkot-nim teases her for her great legs – she must have had a beautiful body shape when she was younger. She’s curious about what she was like in her younger days, then mentions that she never like talking about her young days. Kkot-nim remembers the child she had, and wonders if he/she is still alive? Too painful to be reminded, Soon-ae tells her that she (her life) was reborn when she met Soo-chul. Kkot-nim gets that the past is off-limits, and respects her secrecy. She then tells Soon-ae about her plans to work part-time, denying that she’s in need of money. It will only be for a couple of months, as the pay is too good to miss. With Soon-ae okaying it, although reluctant, Kkot-nim takes out a credit card loan to pay Sang-hyuk for his torn pants.

Kkot-nim almost missed him the next day, as he’s rushing off on a busy schedule. She rushes out in the path of his vehicle, just as he’s driving out of the premise. He’s getting tired at the sight of her, but she’s not wanting to waste more than necessary time with him either. She hands over the envelope of cash, tells him that she feels better paying up, although he said it was unnecessary. Very quickly, she repeats her request to help Joon-hyuk, emphasizing she can be of help to him. Then adds that she’s willing to explain the misunderstanding, if he’s willing to hear her out. And then, as if knowing he’s going to start ranting again, she zooms off.

Sang-hyuk’s conscience come knocking, as he recalls that he torn the seam of his pants when he caught it between the vehicle door, and he figures it isn’t right for him to accept the compensation. So he goes back in with the intention to return the money, only to see that Joon-hyuk is scalded by an overturned cup of coffee, carelessly left around by a visitor. What he didn’t see was Kkot-nim coming to his aid, and that she’s scalded by the hot liquid too. His worry for Joon-hyuk escalates into full-blown anger for Kkot-nim, presuming that she was careless in her care for her patients. And Soon-ae, here to deliver kimbap – her leftover stocks from her morning business – had to witness the crappy treatment dealt out on her precious daughter…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/my-daughter-flower-episode-11/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 12 December 7, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

Sang-hyuk needs rehabilitative treatment for his crappy attitude. He continues to vent about Kkot-nim’s lack of professionalism, and refuses her help to get Joon-hyuk first aid. His anger overrides his manners, shoving Kkot-nim out of his way, and that’s as much Soon-ae can bear with. She rebukes his attitude, reminds him that he shouldn’t react thus, even if her daughter had done wrong – much as she doesn’t know how wrong she was, to receive his mistreatment. Non-apologetic, Sang-hyuk tells Soon-ae that she’d better find out from her daughter then, about how wrong she was! His conscience starts eating at him again, when he learns that Kkot-nim was scalded too, and of what took place with another patient, that led to Joon-hyuk’s incident.

Meanwhile, Soon-ae is worried about a scar, and insisting that they visit a specialist, calming down only after Kkot-nim assured her that she’s fine. They meet the brothers, but thanks to Joon-hyuk, the air of awkwardness doesn’t seem too bad. He tells Kkot-nim that he’s still hurting, and she gives him a magic band-aid so that he’ll feel better soon. He remembers that Kkot-nim was hurt too, but she consoles that she isn’t hurting so much. Irritated with Sang-hyuk, Soon-ae hints that Kkot-nim might be scarred, and that wouldn’t do for an unmarried girl! She chastises him for not showing gratitude – if it weren’t for her daughter, his brother would have been even badly hurt!

Sang-hyuk sure is stubborn, refusing to acknowledge his mistakes, and fearing that the situation might get complicated, Kkot-nim urges him to leave right away. He does just that, and Soon-ae is appalled at how rude he is. He’s not even bothering to apologize, “I wonder whose son he is…!” Kkot-nim explains that they should bear the responsibility as the incident happened at the hospital. Soon-ae agrees, still, shouldn’t Sang-hyuk express his gratitude or apology when he should? Kkot-nim thinks it’s the best though – at least they have now evened it out – although she’s not explaining why, “if this means I’m getting my patient back, it doesn’t matter if I’m scalded another ten times…” She promises to explain the situation to her some other time, and tells her to stop fuming over it.

But no. Just as Kkot-nim thinks that she and Sang-hyuk are evened out over the misunderstandings, he owes her another. She’s having kimbap with her mother, when she sights a gloomy Joon-hyuk a distance away – he’s waiting for his brother, while he gets his car. Kkot-nim is concerned over his unhappiness, and learns that his burn still hurts. She reminds him to call the hospital if the pain worsens; she decides that it’s easier for him to call her, and enters her contact number in his cell, “it’s No. 7,” she reminds him. He’s happily chomping down Soon-ae’s kimbap, offered by Kkot-nim when he told her that it looks delicious. Sang-hyuk arrives then, and Joon-hyuk happily runs up to him, with food in hand. Sang-hyuk is angry to sees that he’s eating from an unknown source, reprimands him for ignoring his instructions not to accept food offered by strangers, and he instantly dumps the remaining food in the bin. And Kkot-nim snaps.

She’s almost in tears, ranting at him for dumping her mother’s food! He takes in the surroundings, sees Soon-ae and her lunchboxes, and gets that he’s in deep richard simmons again. The disregard for her mother is too much for Kkot-nim to bear, as she continues to yell at him while picking up the food from the bin. Soon-ae stops her from doing so, consoling her that it’s fine, but not forgetting to give Sang-hyuk the evil eye. Kkot-nim tells him that she’s fine with him disregarding her, but she’s not allowing the same treatment on her mother! And whatever that is from the scenario – Kkot-nim crying or Sang-hyuk dumping his food – Joon-hyuk berates his beloved brother with I-hate-yous, and hitting him for effect, which is all so adorably funny. He continues to sulk when in the car, ignoring Sang-hyuk’s apology, and Sang-hyuk’s conscience is wagging at him, as he sees Soon-ae consoling a teary Kkot-nim.

It’s a wonder if Sang-hyuk isn’t eventually pressed down to a pie by his conscience. He gets another bout of it, when Joon-hyuk mutters in his sleep (okay, that’s a situation so evidently constructed, that it pokes right in your face) of how Kkot-nim protected him from further injury. And likely, he finally sees her dedication now, enough to exchange for it by paying up that ridiculous amount for his pants. He’s guilty about duping her, as he looks at the packet of cash, and the receipt – which so isn’t for his pants. He’s beginning to think he may have wrongly blamed her, and that he was merely scaring her about paying up, “how in the world did it blow up this big?”

Anyway, he has another problem on his hands. Grandma is insisting that he attends the mat-seon this weekend. She’s not insisting that he gets married now, just date some, but Sang-hyuk isn’t compromising. Jae-ho is delegated the task of speaking some sense into him, which he intends to, even if not told to do so. I guess it was a worrying sight, to see that Sang-hyuk is even uncomfortable with the physical proximity displayed by Hye-jin. Sang-hyuk backs out of the welcome gathering for Chae-kyung (yes, she passed the interview), since his father is wanting to speak to him over dinner.

She’s offended, but acts like she can’t care less about his attendance or not, then calls her mother to unload her complaints about the man, “who does he think he is? A second or third-generation chaebol? He’s merely a rank above me!” And she goes on to say how he left a bad taste with his choice of attire, on the day of her interview. But her mother has more important issues to speak of. She learns from her friends that the boss’s son is working in the company, “keep your sights open for young men in shareholders’ position or at least of a general manager. Being the son of the boss, his position wouldn’t be too lowly.” Right.

So, meeting over dinner, Jae-ho breaks the ice by saying that it has been a while since both of them shared a meal alone. Sang-hyuk corrects him, that it’s actually their first time sharing a meal alone. Okay. So father and son do need therapy. They aren’t even aligning their facts. Getting to point, Jae-ho reminds that Grandma is aging, and Sang-hyuk should do his utmost to please her, which Sang-hyuk thinks he’s already putting in his best efforts. Not really, if taking into consideration the mat-seon issue. Sang-hyuk can’t see the purpose of attending these meetings, if he hasn’t marriage in mind. Jae-ho asks if he’s planning to stay single? And as much as Sang-hyuk thinks that his marriage life wasn’t happy, he’s wrong. He was happy with his (Joon-hyuk’s) mother. Jae-ho understands that it must be tough on Sang-hyuk over the years, with tending to his brother, to the extent that he doesn’t really care about meeting women, “give yourself a chance now. You might change your mind if you start seeing someone.”

He adds that a parent’s greatest joy, is seeing their children happily married, and setting up their own family. He admits that he failed to do that (by remarrying), and it’s getting increasingly hard for his mother to run the household, “the family needs a lady of the house.” Moreover, she can help to share the load of caring for Joon-hyuk. Sang-hyuk is impatiently waiting for him to finish, but the subject of Joon-hyuk’s care spurs him to interrupt, “I don’t wish to share the responsibility with another. I’ll be responsible for Joon-hyuk to the end.” Jae-ho interjects that it isn’t about the issue of responsibility, “but it’s the truth that Joon-hyuk was injured because of me.” With the rehashing of old wounds, they part unhappily, with each taking to drowning their sadness in drinks.

For now, Kkot-nim is off the hook. Chae-wan still can’t recall what happened, for him to get that bruised eye, and Kkot-nim is swearing Hong-dan to secrecy, to keep it at that. It concerns her though, that the cafe isn’t pulling in the crowd, whereas Hong-dan isn’t the least worried. With no work, and a high pay, what can be better? Kkot-nim returns home to a hot soak for her feet. Soon-ae is telling her that she’s less inclined to spend her money from now, seeing how hard she’s toiling for it. She’s still furious about Sang-hyuk, and vows to teach him a lesson if he dare be difficult again! She hopes that Kkot-nim gets married soon, so that she can be cared for, and adds that she’s not going to come stay with her then, “why should I be your burden?” Kkot-nim suggests that she marries herself off first then, and Soon-ae jokes that no one will want a halmoni. Kkot-nim teases, “you must not know how adorable and pretty my mother is.”

Later in the night, she’s woken up by Joon-hyuk’s sobbing call. His burn is hurting again, and he’s wanting his magic band-aid. With the men yet to return, Grandma is in a panic, as she can’t make out what Joon-hyuk is crying for. Not even Jae-ho gets what it is, when he finally returns tipsy, although Joon-hyuk is telling them to get noona. He tells his mother to call Sang-hyuk, at which he isn’t accepting the call, “likely because he thought I’m calling,” Jae-ho gathers. And his mother much guessed that their talk fell apart again. In the midst, Joon-hyuk remembers, and he calls Kkot-nim. Just as he identifies himself, Grandma hangs up the call after apologizing, assuming that Joon-hyuk must have called someone randomly. By when Sang-hyuk returns, tipsy too, they have finally coaxed Joon-hyuk to sleep. He looks in on him, and that’s when Kkot-nim, worried about Joon-hyuk, calls back…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/my-daughter-flower-episode-12/

Ep12.jpg

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 13 December 7, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

So before we start cursing Sang-hyuk for his unreasonable attitude, his protectiveness isn’t without reason. Apparently Joon-hyuk was a victim of fraud, and with some unknown woman calling him in the middle of the night, it is a fishy situation. Kkot-nim identifies herself as a therapist, but Sang-hyuk decides that she’s lying. She reassures him by stating her professional credentials and her name, even telling him to verify it with her hospital. At this point, it dawns on her that she’s speaking to Joon-hyuk’s brother and it dawns on him too, who she is. So, he’s kind of ouch-i-did-it-again, and she’s not letting it just pass. She scolds him for blaming her without getting the facts right, when she’s just calling because she was worried about Joon-hyuk’s injury. Still, he’s putting his best aggression forward, and let’s hope that’s because he’s misguided by alcoholic fumes, rather than some stupid ego at work.

He tells her that therapist or not, surely she shouldn’t be making calls in the night? Isn’t she being overly extreme in her duties? And that much strained her patience with the mule head. She’s sick of arguing with him, and calms herself to explain that Joon-hyuk called her, and since she can’t take the call, she’s calling to check back on him. Ooookay. So that’s like another great joke to Sang-hyuk. I’m sure he isn’t meaning to imply that his brother is a retard, but I guess Joon-hyuk has yet to display such an awesome feat in years, by calling someone other than family. Or maybe he hasn’t someone to call? And so, he’s like you-are-taking-me-for-a-retard, “Joon-hyuk called you? And you expect me to believe that?” Really. She. Can’t. Care. Right now, she’s just wanting to know if Joon-hyuk is well. He tells her that he’s sleeping, and she, “okay, that’s it then.” And hangs up on him. Fuming, she mutters how Joon-hyuk is such an angel, but he is such a jerk. She vents on her pillow, stirring up dust specks, and awakening her mother. And at his end, he’s mildly annoyed that she hung up on him. But what would he expect of her, “from when we first met, I already know she’s a strange woman.”

ep017_mdtf2.gif

Strange or not, you can’t say that Sang-hyuk isn’t touched by her dedication to her patients. Sending Joon-hyuk in, he sees how she’s snubbed by her patient’s guardian, when she insists they persist with the therapy, even if the patient is hampered by difficulties. With something in mind, he tells her that they need to talk, but she doesn’t think they have anything to talk about. As if he cares what she thinks, as he entrusts Joon-hyuk to Mi-ra, and expects her to follow him out. Which she does. He returns her the money, says that he never wanted it in the first place. He admits that he torn a seam in his pants prior to their incident, moreover, it isn’t that expensive anyway. And what’s with that receipt, she asks, and on learning that it was just some receipt, she flares and accuses him of fraud, “do you know of the trouble I went through just to get that money?”

And now he’s mad too, reminding her of his public embarrassment, with his underwear showing for all to see! “Why did you run then? You should have stayed and apologize, and that will be it!” That’s why she has been apologizing repeatedly, Kkot-nim argues. She did, and Sang-hyuk can’t argue further. He decides that they should just put an end to this pants issue, “just give your best efforts in treating my brother.” Can’t quite believing it, Kkot-nim reconfirms if he’s allowing her to help his brother then? “But it doesn’t mean you can start calling him in the night. If you’re to do it again, I’ll assume you have some ulterior motives in mind.” With that, he leaves. She’s a little offended by how he’s judging her, but it isn’t bothering her, “he never says anything nice anyway.” She’s more excited that she got her patient and her money back.

Out walking his fashion outlets, Jae-ho treats Hye-jin to lunch, when he hears her belly croaking in hunger. He asks if she has never properly taken a meal, and she tells him that it’s too much of a hassle since she lives alone. He’s curious about why she would divorce, and learns that her ex-husband was in an affair just three months after their marriage. She’s burned by the experience forever, and decides that she will never marry again. She’s only interested in her work, making money, and living life the way she wants, “to think of it, my parents weren’t really happy (in their marriage) either.” And that reminds Jae-ho that Sang-hyuk said the same thing of him.

Earlier in the day, he told his mother to let Sang-hyuk be for now, and with Hye-jin’s words, he seems even more certain, that they shouldn’t be forcing Sang-hyuk against his wish. He tells Sang-hyuk that he’s okay with his decision, and that he should only attend marriage dates or consider marriage when he’s ready to do so, “happiness cannot be forced. Times have change and so should our way of thoughts. Even the way we view marriages.” So he’s surprised when Sang-hyuk tells him that he will attend the mat-seon, “much as it’s not my wish. But for Grandma and…and for Joon-hyuk’s sake. The family needs a mistress.” And that’s it, like informing his father of a marketing plan.

Sang-hyuk’s change of mind isn’t unexpected. He’s deeply concerned after learning that it’s taxing on his grandmother to manage the household, as well as looking after Joon-hyuk when he returns from his therapy. This is one scene that I really like so far, mostly because I like the feelings coming through from Sang-hyuk. He places himself nicely between apathetic and acceptance, and so without the extremes of either end, his self-sacrificing decisions, never look like it’s a submissive reaction out of guilt. Also, Jae-ho’s almost angry reaction, when Sang-hyuk paused midway to reason his decision, reveals that he does understand Sang-hyuk to a good extent, and in some way, Sang-hyuk chaining himself to a permanent responsibility for Joon-hyuk’s accident, is a burgeoning heartache for Jae-ho.

Deciding that she needs to find a suitor for Kkot-nim, Soon-ae asks Mi-sook to arrange a meeting with the florist, since she’s reputed to have a vast social network. And she’s indeed as obnoxious as Mi-sook describes her to be. She criticizes not Kkot-nim’s character, but it’s her family background that is putting her at the shorter end of the stick. She hints that the daughters of both families should have been swopped, and maybe Kkot-nim would have a better chance. She advises Soon-ae to stop asking such favors of anyone, as it will only put them in a spot. Soon-ae takes offence, and wonders if one with a poorer background can never get married? Well, she probably can, if she finds someone who’s blind. And the two mothers can only wash down that anger with iced water.

So, this sets Soon-ae thinking. Hurtful as it is, she can’t deny the reality of it. And she decides that the first step to correcting the problem, is altering perspectives. First, she and Kkot-nim need to get a place of their own, and she has to manage her own business. After much deliberation, she tells Mi-sook her plans, explaining that she never did so before this, because she was worried about a debt-ridden life again. But for Kkot-nim’s future, she has to, even if it means taking on a bank loan. Call it selfishness or whatever, although I hope it’s deeper than something materialistic, but Mi-sook’s old wounds are rehashed by the florist’s spite, and she’s in a foul mood already. Add Soon-ae’s announcement, and she flares. What’s to do with her business if Soon-ae leaves? Has she forgotten what she had done for her and Kkot-nim seven years ago? And no amount of democratic talk by Young-pil, or Soon-ae’s reassurances is doing anything to calm her.

Young-ae is also eager to put her daughter out on the marriage market. And guess who is on that stack of potential suitors? And imagine Chae-kyung’s disbelief when she learns that the irksome Sang-hyuk is the boss’s son. Surely not in that lowly position? She then sees that it’s likely, given that the boss and Sang-hyuk share the same family name. But with she always going head to head against him at work – due to her personal prejudice – she’s now in a fix about having to play friendly with him. Young-ae strategizes that she should just attend the mat-seon, and pretend that she’s unaware of who he really is. Still, Chae-kyung is reluctant, as she doesn’t like the man. Young-ae tells her to just consider Sang-hyuk’s family background, for a bright and splendid future awaits her.

Chun-man on his spot-checking routine, is pleased with Kkot-nim’s initiative to distribute the cafe’s flyers on the streets. But his son is another matter altogether. Chae-wan continues to idle, while Kkot-nim braves the cold. Not that she’s complaining, since she’s sincere about wanting the cafe to perform better. All is good until she returns to the cafe and sees Hong-dan, who’s charmed by her boss’s guitar strumming skills and singing voice, that she’s dreamily pushing her lips out for a kiss. The preposterous scene reminds Kkot-nim that it isn’t Chae-wan’s first offense, and so she gets the wrong idea about him, yells to stop Hong-dan from her foolish act, and punches her boss again!

Credit to http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/my-daughter-flower-episode-13/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 14 December 7, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

When the time comes for Sang-hyuk, Kkot-nim and Chae-wan to be geometrically involved, Chun-man will give his blessings. Already pleased with Kkot-nim’s lone efforts generated towards the cafe business, he sees more of her sensibility, when she reprimands his good-for-nothing son for not valuing his blessed life, and making the best of business opportunities. He pieces the gist of flying accusations – from physical violence to sexual harassment – and takes Kkot-nim’s side, all too aware of Chae-wan’s Casanova ways, although Chae-wan sputters at that horrific allegation. He has voluptuous standards when women are concerned!

Meanwhile, Kkot-nim and Hong-dan are fretting over possibly losing their part-time work, since Kkot-nim punched the boss twice. Especially Hong-dan, since the compensation to Sang-hyuk is on the line, but then learns from Kkot-nim that she’s now debt-free. Sang-hyuk never wanted monetary compensation, and had threatened her out of anger; Hong-dan figures that he’s a man of conscience after all. Kkot-nim agrees: while he irks her mostly, at least he genuinely cares for his brother, “because with most families, the guardian gets tired of tending to their ward after a long period of time.”

Anyway, back to the subject of their jobs, they get to keep it, which they almost didn’t, because Young-ae kicked up a fuss about the girls laying a hand on her precious son! Chae-wan embarrassingly intervenes, reminds his mother that he’s liable to be criminally charged with sexual harassment, although Kkot-nim assures them that she wouldn’t, since she was wrong to hit him. So now that they were both at fault, that should even them out, “with such matters, it’s best we properly clear the air to avoid any future embarrassment,” Chae-wan explains. And Hong-dan is swooning over how cool his personality is. I don’t know if there will be a romantic line with the two people, but I really can’t see Chae-wan with Hong-dan at this point. If he’s continuing to be this likeable, I hope he gets a someone when the story rounds up. Hong-dan isn’t sub-standard, but it’s like letting two kids play house. You get the idea.

As for his father, I like his perceptiveness and grounded attitude, and I want him to stay sane. Chun-man still means for the rest of his money-sucking family to clean up their act, and fend for themselves. Also, he can see that Kkot-nim is smart and morally upright, and he wants Chae-wan to keep her on the payroll with whatever it takes – even if it means a higher salary, and even if it means she gets to trample over Chae-wan’s pride, “either you rescue your business, or you put it out on the market. If you don’t have the slightest idea about how to do it, then pick her brains.” So. Please, please. PLEASE. No sudden bent in character for the future. What I like most, is that he isn’t as keen to have a son-in-law of high social standing. He advises/warns his wife about picking someone out of materialistic gains, and beyond their means, “choose someone suitable.”

But she so isn’t going to do that; she wants Sang-hyuk for Chae-kyung. You see, they aren’t chaebols, but the standing of their wealth is almost chaebol-grade. His father is reportedly to be a man of the best character. What’s important – as mother and daughter jump in glee – is that there’s no mother-in-law AKA NO mistress of the house = Chae-kyung is going to be QUEEN of the house. Such fine an equation, but whoever that matchmaker is, ought to be given the boot. She failed to detail the entire household, leaving out the two most important people, and of it, the impaired condition of one – the real reasons behind Sang-hyuk agreeing to this.

My fondness for Sang-hyuk is gradual. It wasn’t love at first sight, it isn’t love out of sympathy. It isn’t because of the love for Choi Jin-hyuk. I love that he looks like a self-assured semi-cynic, and so comfortably in his skin. He’s rude, he’s standoffish, but he isn’t obnoxious, arrogant or being (drama-style) icy cold. He seems to be impatiently bored with all things outside Joon-hyuk, and can’t seem to be bothered with perceptions and repercussions. He reacts/says only what he thinks is necessary, and at that, just enough, highlighting a need for distance. I guess in a way, you might say that he thinks he’s a level above others, but he’s really just a porcupine. The world and its people certainly aren’t going to take care of him, if he doesn’t protect himself.

For sure, Chae-kyung is a no go. I mean, he has seen enough of what he needs to know of this lady. He deadpans (which is the coolest form of sarcasm) that he didn’t figure her for someone who knows how to smile (given her sourish attitude); he’s frank about not wanting to waste more time at this; he’s to-the-point that if he knew she were coming, he wouldn’t. Oooh… So satisfyingly cutting. But he’s gentleman enough to add that, he presumes he’s not her choice either. And since she’s reminding him that she’s of good enough standards, he thinks there should be better suitors out there for her.

NOT SO, as she hurries to hold him back, explaining that he might change his opinions, if they get to know each other better. But Sang-hyuk is so devilishly bad with that less than obvious smirk, “and that would mean, you’re expressing an interest in me?” For he knows that she certainly doesn’t think much of him before this mat-seon. Chae-kyung is caught, quickly explains that being rejected on such an occasion is really hurting to her Pride, “I’ve never been rejected.” AH — he remembers that pride issue at the interview, one which instantly sealed it for him, that he wouldn’t think much of such a person, “then for once, get used to being rejected.” I cheered.

I’ve said I like (and why) that previous scene where Sang-hyuk gives his reason for agreeing to attend the marriage dates. I like it as much in this episode, when his grandmother learns of the reason from him. She’s appalled that he’s misconstruing her intents, “I’m not one who wants my grandson to marry for my sake. Because of Joon-hyuk, it has been hard on you. And I want you to have your own happiness. Moreover, who would want to marry, if only to take care of an old person and a brother-in-law?” He reassures her that he understands her good intentions, that’s why he’s even bothering to go.

Dramatically speaking, we get that it’s self-sacrifice, and his father gets it already. Jae-ho isn’t in joy over Sang-hyuk’s meeting, as he would probably be, if under different circumstances. It’s as if he’s helplessly sad. We know that Jae-ho isn’t bearing the initial bitterness for Sang-hyuk, but what came through with this scene, is actually seeing how Jae-ho sincerely cares about Sang-hyuk. He reminds his mother not to barrage Sang-hyuk with questions when he returns, lest he’s irritated. Although he gives reason that it might turn Sang-hyuk off for future meetings, I feel more, that he understands Sang-hyuk needs the space, given that he’s doing something against his will.

What makes the difference about Sang-hyuk’s sacrifice (as so to say), is that he isn’t magnifying the deed. He isn’t expressing it as martyr-like, or neither is he forcing himself to accept that it’s for the greater good. He’s either a good liar, or he’s even better at being thoughtful. But I see it as him carrying out another necessity in his life, and it’s just another duty without factoring in himself. It’s sad in a way, as he seems to have accustomed to ignoring his own worth, and for that matter, happiness or the lack of it, wouldn’t really matter. But he’s so at a matter-of-fact with the idea that the scene here, doesn’t warrant the same pity, as I probably would, for the usual tortured hero. I like that Sang-hyuk isn’t tortured, and decide that he merely lost touch with what would matter. But that is my biased assessment.

By this episode, I think I’ve figured out how the relationships will snake about, and I’m not surprised if Soon-ae and Jae-ho were first loves. I know. So dramatically expected. The idea came about, when Hye-jin pesters the workaholic Jae-ho to take a breather in the park. It’s autumn, and it’s supposed to invoke memories, not work. For instance, memories of a buried first love. He looks at Hye-jin by the tree, and he seems to remember, as he mutters the same line, “a first love that is buried deep in the heart…” And that might mean Sang-hyuk is Soon-ae’s lost child, although I’m not sure if the timeline fits, which is what’s still having me half-doubt the possibility.

On the other hand, Sang-hyuk’s run-in with Kkot-nim is frequently putting Soon-ae at the scene, hinting at a deeper relationship as the misunderstanding mounts. If it pans out as speculated, then this means, Sang-hyuk is Jae-ho’s blood. Which would then explain why Grandma was rebuking herself about retribution – she could be the one who snatched the child, as Soon-ae was recounting how her child was forcibly snatched from her. There’s a reason why we term these moving pictures as dramas. It seems so laughable because our lives are so ordinarily undramatic.

I’m unexpectedly devoted to the characters, like Mi-sook, that I worry about being given reasons for not liking her. She kicked up a great, great fuss over Soon-ae’s idea to go solo, and I thought briefly if she’s going to make me regret about saying that she’s a good friend to Soon-ae. And then, after venting her bitterness and spent with the sarcasms, she tearfully confesses that she’s so dependent on Soon-ae over the years, that her leaving amounts to her losing an arm! It was never about money, and that Soon-ae is in more ways more important to her, than her husband is to her, “I’ve never felt this sense of betrayal since I was 19!”

Well, and that story about when she was 19, rolled out the truth about her first love, which then sends Young-pil cursing about being lied to. And the scene moves from being hostile to touching, and to being funny, with the fastest speed, which makes it easy to watch. In most cases, such scenes outside the lives of the lead characters (in daily dramas), don’t usually work for me. I find them an unnecessary drag, which is obviously unfair since a story can’t just work with a main line. Here, I attribute my fondness, to a liking for the actors and how their characters are drawn up.

Admittedly, my mind is on an overtime. I wonder if Soon-ae is really going to leave Mi-sook’s home, much as Kkot-nim, already annoyed that her future marriage is the reason, is threatening something drastic if she insists on overruling her. For it means that Soon-ae will be in debt again, not something that Kkot-nim wants happening, given how her stepmother toiled over the years. In script, it wouldn’t make sense for it to happen, as the focus on Mi-sook’s family is tied to Soon-ae and Kkot-nim. And so, what’s going to come out of it? I know. I think of the least worrying matters.

Anyway, by when the episode ends, Kkot-nim gets another sobbing call from Joon-hyuk. To his grandmother’s dismay, he had insisted on tagging along with Sang-hyuk to the marriage meeting, and so he’s left in the car with his chauffeur, who had to leave momentarily for nature’s call. In between, Joon-hyuk, already upset over the dramatics of the The Lion King, decides that a magic band-aid would probably do the trick for the characters. And magic band-aid is synonymous with Kkot-nim. When Kkot-nim gets the call, she’s anxious over the unknown situation, and asks Joon-hyuk if he sees anyone around, so to find out his location. Anyway, a time lapse later, as when Sang-hyuk returns to his car, Joon-hyuk is missing…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/my-daughter-flower-episode-14/

E14.jpg

Reading the recaps, I want to see all the scenes again. *** insert nostalgia here please ***
id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 24px; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; overflow: hidden; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: initial; background-repeat: initial;"내 딸 꽃님이(상혁, 꽃님편집)

Credit Maze0927

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 15 December 7, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

Three weeks in, and I like this episode best. I was dreading another misunderstanding, and I probably would start hating Sang-hyuk if it did happen, but it didn’t. Picking up from where Joon-hyuk went missing, we see that he’s now with a stranger, who he approached on Kkot-nim’s instruction, to find out his location. Mr. Stranger takes advantage of Joon-hyuk’s situation and milks some free calls, which is actually a funny scene to watch.

Joon-hyuk isn’t a retard, which he obviously thinks otherwise, because he starts abusing his intelligence, after Joon-hyuk weakly insists that he needs to call his brother. And Kkot-nim pounces on that, demands that he apologizes to the boy. He refuses, a scuffle ensues, with Kkot-nim whacking him and screaming that he has no right to mistreat Joon-hyuk, “our Joon-hyuk is many folds kinder than you are!” And that’s what prevented another misunderstanding, because Sang-hyuk overheard the ruckus in the background, when Joon-hyuk called him.

All gets hauled/called down to the station, and Soon-ae isn’t pleased to see the two brothers, more like directed at Sang-hyuk only, “these people AGAIN?” It’s like Kkot-nim is always in trouble because of them. To Sang-hyuk, Kkot-nim clarifies that she didn’t call Joon-hyuk, it was him who had called her in tears. “I know,” Sang-hyuk is meek. Kkot-nim is instantly charged up again, chiding him for leaving Joon-hyuk alone – doesn’t he know the danger of it? “I know, why wouldn’t I know that?” he’s getting impatient – not at her chiding, but more likely he’s already frustrated at his own carelessness, and he doesn’t need to be reminded again. Soon-ae isn’t impressed – shouldn’t he be saying thanks, when her daughter has been getting herself hurt because of his brother? “I was about to…” Sang-hyuk returns to being meek again; Soon-ae mutters, “it’s as if you’re forced to do so.” Kkot-nim mediates that Sang-hyuk paid for medical compensation (on her behalf), which Soon-ae thinks it’s only right (and they needn’t be grateful), since it’s because of his brother.

Sang-hyuk knows to repay his personal debts, and he offers to give mother and daughter a ride home. Kkot-nim thinks she heard wrong, he repeats that he wants to send them home, but she insists on taking the public transport, and he’s impatient again, “don’t be difficult. Just get in.” Soon-ae doesn’t see why they can’t take him up on his offer, since Kkot-nim earned her right, and Joon-hyuk is excited that he gets to sit beside noona. On the drive, Soon-ae warns Kkot-nim about getting into brawls again. They then argue playfully about who’s the uncouth one between them – Kkot-nim who knocked off her schoolmate’s teeth, or Soon-ae who tackled a thief? Anyway, Kkot-nim reminds that she takes after her. Soon-ae is embarrassed, clarifies that she isn’t so unrefined, slanting glances at Sang-hyuk, lest he hears it. He heard it, and he’s betraying smiles, amused by mother and daughter’s whispered conversation. And then they whet his appetite, when famished Kkot-nim details her dinner cravings – from bean-paste stew to spicy pancakes. It would be fun to see Sang-hyuk gradually mingling with the duo.

ep015-01a.gif

Walking back from where Sang-hyuk dropped them, Soon-ae comments that Sang-hyuk is nothing like his presentable appearance, his icy personality is in contrast to Joon-hyuk’s, “how can both be that different when borne by the same mother?” She reminds Kkot-nim that she is to look for a man with a warm personality, “what’s the use of being good-looking if he has a cold personality?” Kkot-nim agrees, promises that she will find someone like her father. Reminded of Soo-chul, Soon-ae wonders if he’s well? Kkot-nim thinks he is, why wouldn’t he when he knows that they are living a splendid life? They meet Mi-sook, who spied them alighting from Sang-hyuk’s vehicle, and now itching with curiosity about who he is, “just someone,” Kkot-nim tells her.

Back home, knowing that Sang-hyuk will be at the brunt of blame, Grandma chooses to hide from Jae-ho, about Joon-hyuk’s brief disappearance in the day. She speaks to Sang-hyuk alone, consoling him about the day’s events. It must have been hard on him, although she was scared out of her wits too. She suggests that he keeps it from his father, since he’s likely to worry himself to the extreme. She then remembers the mat-seon and asks of his opinions about the girl. Sang-hyuk tells her not to keep her hopes up, as in she’s out of the race, and Grandma is fine with it, believing that destiny cannot be forced. She asks about Kkot-nim and learns that she’s a therapist with the hospital, and she is the same person, who protected Joon-hyuk from further injuries the previous time. She’s apologetic about always imposing on her help, but grateful that she would come to Joon-hyuk’s aid at the first instant. Left alone with Joon-hyuk, who is sleeping, Sang-hyuk pours out his fears – he was scared to death that Joon-hyuk would be in another accident because of him.

For all of Grandma’s good intents, come next morning, Joon-hyuk shares his little adventure with his father, and as expected, Jae-ho reprimands Sang-hyuk for being irresponsible – what if something happens again? Much as his mother pacifies that nothing happened, Jae-ho continues to chide Sang-hyuk for his actions – why would he bring Joon-hyuk along to the mat-seon venue? “All serious accidents happened because of a moment of carelessness!” Much as Jae-ho may not emphasize the reminder with hurtful intent, to Sang-hyuk, it’s a prick to the heart. He rebuts that he isn’t that irresponsible, if he were, he wouldn’t have brought along their chauffeur, “Compared to all, I’m the most worried about that serious accident! I’m no where lesser in my concern for Joon-hyuk!” Grandma consoles him just as he’s getting ready for work, explains that Jae-ho reacted out of worry. She then asks that he delivers something to Kkot-nim, as a gesture of her appreciation.

Sang-hyuk is suddenly humbled before Kkot-nim, and Kkot-nim is so unpretentious with him. I chuckled when she hurries to gladly accepts the salted yellow corvina from him, just as he tells her that she needn’t do so, if she’s not wanting it. Why wouldn’t she? It’s her mother’s favorite. And with his back turned, she’s jumping in glee over the expensive delicacy. Okay. Guilty. I’m smiling too much. And I’m praying as much, for Sang-hyuk to ignore Chae-kyung to the end.

Out of willful spite, Chae-kyung is determined to hook Sang-hyuk. She swears she’s going to have him lovesick over her, and then she will dump him. Her mother attempts to talk some sense in her: she will find her a better suitor, moreover, life doesn’t meet up to every of her desires. You take some, you lose some. And this triggers Chae-kyung’s craziness, yelling that she lost too much already! She spent the past seven years sneakily, like a sinner (somewhere along, she forgot that she IS), and she’s not having anymore of it, “I’m not giving up! I’m going to have whatever I want!” This is having Young-ae worried, since she assumed that Chae-kyung has forgotten the past, and she promises herself that she’ll help her forget everything, for her daughter deserves her happiness.

I gave Sang-hyuk a merit point, when he dispenses with gentlemanly gestures about helping Chae-kyung back to the office, when she pretends to bump into him, and fakes a sprain. He’s not the least apologetic about entrusting her to the security personnel, while he rushes off to a meeting. Of course, Chae-kyung’s pride is stepped on again, and she swears that she will trap him within her palm! So, let’s hope Sang-hyuk keeps up that rudeness, and stays out of her palms. That means no sudden bout of sympathy, no crazed impulsiveness that would be having him agreeing to “…promise me ten dates before you decide…” or an engagement that will lead to dis-engagement. You know. The usual drama stuff that leads to face-palming and head-desking.

Earlier in the episode, we’re already given a glimpse of Jae-ho’s memory with his first love, when in the park with Hye-jin. She noticed he was deep in thoughts, and guessed that he must be remembering someone – if not his late wife, then it must be his first love. Jae-ho isn’t saying, as he prepares to get back to work, and reminds her not to plan these mini picnics again. Hye-jin squints suspiciously that he’s avoiding her question on purpose, but Jae-ho isn’t baiting, not even to refute her. He plainly ignored it. So, it’s a heartache that is off-limits. I’m beginning to see how much Sang-hyuk resembles Jae-ho; even though Grandma often speaks about it, I assumed it’s out of her need to bond father to son. Both men are private, and unapologetic about their non-compromising ways. I think it’s cool, the women likely think they are arrogant jerks.

By the end of this episode, it’s almost sure that Sang-hyuk has a birth secret. Grandma misplaced her insurance documents, and he offered to look in his father’s study. As he was going through his father’s stuff, he found an old photo – young Jae-ho and an unknown girl. He’s curious to know who she is, and Grandma is startled by the reminder, as she cast a furtive glance at him. But with this only at the fifteenth episode, I guess it will take some time before the answer reveals itself.

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/my-daughter-flower-episode-15/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 16 December 10, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

Cable dramas made me the worst kind of procrastinator, and this drama took the backseat in my schedule for this week. I’m pleasantly surprised that Sang-hyuk is such a show-off, in a way that made me laughed, instead of being turned off. But before that, the worrisome issues first. It looks like Soon-ae will be conned. Everything seems to be coming together for her, especially finding a spacious unit at an unbelievably good price, but the landlord and the realtor do have that shifty vibe between them. She’s all set to go solo, but of course, not without stoking Mi-sook’s frustration again, although Young-pil is sending her off in good faith, despite some sadness. As we already know, Mi-sook is sad about losing a friend/family, and she’s soon tearing. She tells Soon-ae that she can’t return the rental deposit for now, as she’s really penniless, but promises to buy her a refrigerator for her new business. Sobbing too, Soon-ae promises that she will repay the gratitude, when she makes her fortune in future.

From where we last left off, indeed, sooner than expected, the past returns to haunt. Grandma was something in her heydays, nothing like the warm lady that we’ve seen of her so far. Reminded by the picture Sang-hyuk found, she’s worried to a nervousness. We’re briefly shown a fragment of the past, with her removing some girl from Jae-ho’s life. Which I’m assuming that it was done without Jae-ho ever finding out. Apparently, she assumed that it’s only a forgettable past to him, but seeing that he’s still holding on to the picture, she’s wondering if he never remarried because his heart is still with his first love. I guess it’s part guilt, that she’s suddenly excessive in her attention to his well-being. Not that she never was concerned, but this somehow is having her mothering him to the detail, like she needed to make up for his lack of receiving care from a wife, by being part mother and part wife.

It’s even making Jae-ho wonder if something happened, to have his mother behaving oddly. She broaches the subject of remarriage, he repeats that he isn’t interested, being content with his sons and his work. Moreover, they have closed the subject since a long time ago, having told her that he will only marry once in his life, which was to Joon-hyuk’s mother. Since he’s still young, and it’s fact that he was only married for 11 years, before his wife passed on, his mother can’t get over it, “what joy is there in your life?” She’s beginning to see that Sang-hyuk has a point, when he mentioned there wasn’t much happiness in his father’s life. “I was worried about Sang-hyuk not getting married. In truth, I should be worrying about you.” She was tempted to ask about his lingering feelings for his first love, but held back, like needing to confirm a nagging fear, yet afraid of opening a can of worms. And then we see her speaking to someone, about conducting a search for somebody. No points for guessing who.

Kkot-nim is pulling in late nights, with her part-time work and going through the books, in hope of learning more to help Joon-hyuk. She tells her mother that Joon-hyuk reminds her of her father, because he was involved in an accident too, and resulting in his present condition. If only her father is still alive, it wouldn’t matter if he lost a limb or even his memory. This is why she’s dedicated to helping Joon-hyuk, because at least he’s alive, and he and his family never gave up on his therapy for the past seven years. So that’s why she’s yawning at work, and sulky Mi-ra is hinting that she’s up to some hanky-panky in the night, but she’s quick to clarify that she was revising her studies for work. Her supervisor takes the chance to announce that she will set up a night study class soon, and Kkot-nim is now worried about the clash with her part-time work.

She should start worrying about Sang-hyuk though. With the misunderstandings out of the way, he’s friendlier, but no less exasperating in ruffling her feathers, just so to tick her off in good fun. She may be strong, but against a faulty hospital bed (at least that’s what it looks like) that is obstructing the entrance to a doorway, she’s a leaf in the wind. He sees that, and teases her for showing off her strength in the early morning, pointing out that the roller is faulty, and that she should have got help. She tries again, assuring him that she can manage it, but not so. He teases her some more, about the food she had, having an inverse contribution to her strength. Then, tells her to get out of the way, and he pushes it away effortlessly. Joon-hyuk claps in glee that his brother is strong, and Sang-hyuk is feeling smug.

As he takes his leave, he sees her meddling with the bed again, learns that it needs to be pushed a little further away. He goes back to help her, saying that she should just have said so earlier, “this is a job for a man. Are you having so much spare time that you’re showing off your strength? How can you care for your patients if you’re so dense?” Kkot-nim takes offense, but not for long, because he springs another one on her. “Yang-kkot-nim ssi, instead of taking the time to fume, I suggest you clean off that kimchi stain on the front of your blouse.” Well, I never said he is discreet.

ep016_mdtf3.gif

He’s silently chuckling to himself over her embarrassment, while she’s probably wishing she can tunnel through the ground. He had his fun and is leaving, then almost forgetting, he turns back to ask if she has time to spare. She’s like huh, and he conveys that his grandmother is wanting to give her a treat. She huhs for the second time, obviously surprised by the gesture, since they had thanked her with the expensive gulbi, but he’s taking it for a no, “forget it if you don’t have the time.” Who’s denser? She hurries to clarify that she has time, just that she doesn’t think that it’s necessary, “please convey my thanks to your grandmother.” And he leaves it at that. Now really, who’s denser?

Sang-hyuk needs to come out of his shell, because he’s so much interesting when he’s playful, but not really being cheeky. He’s like the prankster without betraying that he’s one. I’m absolutely in love with those scenes, where Joon-hyuk keeps matchmaking him to Jae-ho. I was half-expecting him to be awkward with his father, when forced to arm-wrestle with him. Joon-hyuk was wondering who’s the strongest between them, and the men each thinks himself to be the strongest. And then Sang-hyuk lets his father win on purpose, “because if I were to give my full strength, you’re going to get hurt.” HAHA.

The night before, having lost to Sang-hyuk in the aforementioned arm-wrestling, Joon-hyuk now wonders who will win, if Kkot-nim and his brother were to arm-wrestle? He remembers that she’s strong too, since she punched that man to a pulp the last time. Reminded of that incident, he tells her that the stranger said some nasty things to him. Kkot-nim praises him for his good memory, and promises that she’s studying the ways to help him remember more things, “you’re so smart. I’m sure you can do it.” She starts the lesson for the day, by training him to remember the route home from the hospital, then tells him that she wants him to really practice finding his way home with his brother, after he commits it to memory.

That night, Joon-hyuk is having trouble sleeping, because his brother isn’t home to read him his bedtime story. He calls Kkot-nim, who has just returned from work, with a bad cut on her lip, after she defended her playboy boss from his girlfriend’s ex-fiance. I know. It’s complicated. Girl got caught by ex-fiance for two-timing, and she cooked up a blame on Chae-wan for seducing her. Chae-wan realized that she two-timed him, but it’s his words against hers. Ex-fiance decides that he needs a good beating, only to be blocked by petite Kkot-nim, who’s defending her boss’s clean character, and then she turns the table on Girl. So the matter is resolved, with ex-fiance threatening to teach his woman a lesson, but not before Kkot-nim and Chae-wan are knocked to the ground by the brief scuffle, and he’s in utter embarrassment, “I’ve totally ruined my image,” he mutters.

So, back to Kkot-nim and Joon-hyuk, she’s now teaching him to count to a hundred, which she thinks should do the trick. He agrees to try, but doesn’t look confident that it will actually work, and so he asks for permission to call again if he still can’t get to sleep. And so where he is hyung? Boringly inconvenienced by some woman. With Sang-hyuk canceling out on the welcome gathering the last time, Hye-jin suggested that they do it this very evening. And Chae-kyung vowed that she’s going to have Sang-hyuk fall all over her. Her plan is to feign drunkenness to air her genuine (this is debatable) feelings for him; not in like she’s some girl harboring a crush, but like she’s the ultra-cool modern woman who dares to speak of her love.

With Hye-jin out of the way, to the ladies’ room, she strikes. She asks if Sang-hyuk dislikes her that much, as in, he shouldn’t, since he doesn’t know anything about her, isn’t it? Already uninterested, he’s somewhat irritated now, and he spares no sympathy to write her off, “I’m sorry, but I don’t want to know.” HUH. As if she’s going to get it and back off. She reminds him that it’s their destiny to meet (at work and then at the mat-seon), and she could read from his look, that he has never been in love, “how could you attend the mat-seon, when you have no intention to marry?” Sang-hyuk isn’t liking the direction of the conversation, and tells her off that she’s drunk. She’s not, but since she’s supposed to be, might as well be bolder by each statement right? “I guess you don’t know what love is. Let me show you what is love. Let’s date. Formally.”

Over my dead body.  - Said http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/my-daughter-flower-episode-16/

Guest chaybags55

Yeekrfan2 chingu thanks for the narrative English translation tho still hoping that there will,be eng subbed. For now I am viewing the you tube videos of,MDTF then I correlate it with the eng narrative haha that's how obsessed I am with this drama . Is there a link other than you tube coz in there it's not complete.. Thanks chingu!

@celes80  @chaybags55

If you know Chinese, you can always search this drama with the Chinese name 我的女兒是花兒 there are plenty of Chinese channels like

http://www.iqiyi.com/dianshiju/wdnesh.html

http://www.youku.com/show_page/id_z66bc12b4ff9311e0a046.html

Or at Dramastyle - http://www.dramastyle.com/drama/My-Daughter-the-Flower-Korean-Drama-2011/#.U9zVdEib7iM

Good luck and enjoy!
  :-bd

Guest chaybags55

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately can't understand neither.lol.. But the recaps are here and many thanks for that chingu!

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 17 December 10, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

I’m curious what kind of a suitor Chae-wan will be. He’s turning out too right and too harmless, although that’s not meaning he’s a softie. He will probably go head-on with Sang-hyuk, but let’s see if the two boys can find some room for a decent friendship. Because I like Chae-wan and I like Sang-hyuk. I don’t want to have to choose. Ever since making a fool of himself, he’s unexpectedly affected. It’s more than embarrassment, like a disappointment in himself even. I’m thinking that he never sees the lack of his seriousness, or questionable morals (although that seems like a harsh phrase on him), until he had to be rescued by a mere woman, fighting to clear his name, much as she knows first hand what a scum he is. Or is it was?

Chae-wan is suddenly self-conscious before Kkot-nim, although he’s sincerely grateful that she came to his aid. She’s cool about what happened, never making it more embarrassing for him, than it already is. She’s more excited about the idea for his cafe – coffee art. Which coincidentally, he’s artistically trained in just that, when he was in Italy. So he’s now not looking so much like a good-for-nothing, nor is he some laid-back prince splurging his father’s wealth. He does know what he’s doing. I guess he lacks a direction in life, and the motivation to fire himself up. So with Kkot-nim’s idea to organize a night event, for couples to declare their love with coffee art, they are hoping to see a positive turn in the business; and if not too much to ask, maybe we’ll see one in Chae-wan too.

His sister though, is seriously getting on my nerves. Positively, we shall say this is a successful casting. Chae-kyung takes the easy way out, pretends to drop dead after issuing a love warning to Sang-hyuk: she has her eyes on him. I say, take a number. We all have our eyes on him already. After some probing from Hye-jin – who has just returned from the rest room, and having caught the end of her self-declaration – Sang-hyuk reveals they met during mat-seon. Hye-jin is surprised by their destiny, and decides that Chae-kyung does really seem to like him. Totally uninterested, Sang-hyuk tells her that he made clear his feelings then, and now, “it’s up to her to take care of her own feelings.” Hye-jin advises him not to be rash about his decision, and that he should think about it some more. “What’s there to think about? I don’t want to waste my time and affections. This is totally meaningless,” he says with some amount of impatience. Hye-jin is amused, that he’s just like his father. It’s not looking good for the drop-dead eavesdropper, as her hidden responses to the conversation, fluctuate in line to a stock market crisis – troubled…promising…then, CRASH.

They pack her up to go; Chae-kyung maintaining her drunk act, falls right onto Sang-hyuk’s chest, and Hye-jin decides that he should send her home (as she’s too drunk to manage herself), since Chae-kyung doesn’t have a car. He’s like: no car? And Hye-jin agrees that she was surprised too, that she doesn’t drive. Under another scenario, Sang-hyuk would be a total jerk, but here, he’s great (that’s biased speak): he doesn’t buy the act of being gentlemanly for gentlemanly sake, when he’s not the least feeling gentlemanly about this girl. Although, I would also think, he lacks the experience to be sensitive with girls. He chides Chae-kyung for being an inconvenience to others, and that she should have controlled her drinking, if she can’t hold her liquor. She can’t care, as long as she gets to snuggle happily in his chest. But then, she’s jerked out of her pretense, when a vehicle crashed into a tree. And she goes mildly berserk.

They got her to the pharmacy, she’s wide awake now – not that she ever was drunk. She asks about the driver in the accident, and learns that he’s probably going to be fine. Sang-hyuk impatiently faults her bad drinking etiquette, and that she should take care of that habit first, before worrying over someone else’s accident. On the ride home, he continues to express his displeasure at her. He doesn’t like to be in the drinking company of people with a poor drinking etiquette (as in going mumbo-jumbo crazy after a couple of drinks), “and I despise those who assumes that others are obligated to take care of them, when they are drunk!” Not exactly wrong, not exactly right, but the man needs to sharpen his tact, if to be critical.

Aggrieved, Chae-kyung gathers that he’s taking it so lightly because it doesn’t concern him. What follows is an outpouring of her aftermath sufferings – not being able to drive when it’s only a simple task to many; feeling nauseous whenever she hears of an accident; worried sick about someone being hurt in an accident! Sang-hyuk’s frustration vanishes, as soon as he realizes that she was involved in an accident, and had reacted out of sorts because she witnessed another. On the contrary to her assessment of him, it’s something he understands indirectly. He is in all ways, insensitive, as his behavior proves, but at least he isn’t a man pumped up by ego. He takes his share of blame, and he apologizes – as with Kkot-nim, as with Chae-kyung now. He’s sorry about digging up her wound, and he does understand the sufferings of an accident survivor, more than anyone. She’s taken aback by his apology, more curious about his empathy for her, but he’s leaving it at just that.

By when he’s home, Joon-hyuk is asleep, and has lost grip of his cellphone, indicating that he was on the line with someone. Well, that someone is still on the line, reading him the Three Little Pigs. This time, Sang-hyuk isn’t taking long to recognize that voice, “Yang Kkot-nim ssi?” And she’s startled; nervous, as if reminded of his warning about no late night calls. She explains that Joon-hyuk called, as he had trouble sleeping. “And so, you were reading him a bedtime story?” he sighs, the exasperated kind, like she can’t seem to get it into that dense head of hers.

He does have a point though, about why he’s averse to her off-hours dedication to her patient, “what are you going to do, if Joon-hyuk becomes overly reliant on you? How much responsibility can you take up then? I know you have good intentions, but I will not have anyone disliking Joon-hyuk, when they eventually feels that he’s a bother, and becomes inconvenienced by him. So please don’t ever do this again, and I’ll also forbid him from calling you.” We all know Kkot-nim will hardly think that of Joon-hyuk, which she hurries to disperse his concerns. He doesn’t care about the nice things she feels about his brother, and hangs up on her, since he’s done with speaking his mind. He mutters about she having too much spare energy to waste, she grumbles that he’s only concerned about saying what he wants, and hanging up on her, as and when he wants!

But by the next day, all is forgotten. Which is why I find them likeable. Grandma chides Sang-hyuk for taking Kkot-nim’s words as it is, when she rejected the invitation. And she decides that they should just meet her during lunch. With no prior appointment, they are not giving her a chance to say no again, and she figures that Kkot-nim would find it hard to turn down their sincere gesture. Sang-hyuk isn’t against it, although he’s thinking that his grandmother needn’t go to this extent. She replies that’s because she feels it’s worth it, for the person who went out of her way for Joon-hyuk. 

Joon-hyuk is excited about the lunch date, and immediately announces it to Kkot-nim when he sees her. She thanks Grandma for the gulbi, and says she needn’t have insisted on giving her a treat. Grandma tells her that she wanted to meet her, and thanks her for helping Joon-hyuk. The boy proudly exclaims that Kkot-nim is pretty, like an angel, “am I right, hyung? Am I right?” And hyung is a mix of surprised (by the question), somewhat shy (that he’s having to agree that a girl, or rather Yang Kkot-nim ssi is pretty), and even like trying not to burst out laughing (that his brother is kind of overrating her beauty), “yes…yes…(pretty) like an angel.” Obviously, he can’t disagree. Did I say he was insensitive? The selective kind, I guess.

So Kkot-nim accepts the lunch treat, but at her choice of a modest noodle house, instead of somewhere better (as in expensive) as suggested by Grandma. A little conversation before they are served, as Grandma asks if she has been a therapist for a long time? She does feel that she’s born for the job. Kkot-nim tells her that she has been in the profession for only a year, because she graduated later than usual. Somehow, Kkot-nim draws Sang-hyuk out of his prickly shell without even needing to try, “you flunked?” he teases, but soon sees that he should not have asked that frivolous question. She replies that she (was suspending her studies in between) to earn her tertiary fees. Obviously, it’s an embarrassing issue for her to discuss, as she adds that she doesn’t like talking about it. I don’t think it’s so much as looking down on her own poverty, but I think it’s more of not wanting to appear as a pity case before others. Sang-hyuk quickly tells his grandmother to stop probing, but we see that he has an added admiration for her. Kkot-nim too, for him, when she sees how he is attentive to Joon-hyuk’s every need, by cooling down his hot noodles.

ep017_mdtf3.gif

We can all imagine how Chae-kyung is going to go raging bonkers, but I’m worried more about this Sanghyuk-Chaekyung misunderstanding growing wild, with what is stemming from Hye-jin’s seemingly harmless speculation. She tells Jae-ho about the two people’s fated destiny, and how Chae-kyung is openly courting Sang-hyuk. Jae-ho is surprisingly unenthusiastic about the news, although he’s wondering if this is the reason Sang-hyuk isn’t keen on attending further marriage dates, as discussed over breakfast. Hye-jin comments that it sure didn’t look like he and Chae-kyung are at that stage, but who knows, with the young people of today. She makes Jae-ho promise not to breathe a word to Sang-hyuk, as she doesn’t want to come across as a tell-tale boss.

Chae-kyung isn’t letting up on pursuing Sang-hyuk. After he turns down her lunch and dinner invitation, she asks if he has someone else in his heart? He can’t see why he should be telling her that though, and she reminds him that she talked about them dating officially. Sang-hyuk honestly thought it was mere drunk talk, she tells him that she’s sincere about it. Really, he’s getting tired, “okay, then let me tell you this formally…” She stops him, getting what he’s going to say, “I don’t want to hear it now. Tell me some other time. Don’t be insincere about it, think about it for a couple of days.” Sang-hyuk sighs, for what’s the man to do, when all the women in his life – those in it (as in Grandma) or those passing through (as in Kkot-nim and Chae-kyung) – just can’t seem to get his words into their heads.

As this episode ends, Soon-ae has paid up the deposit for renting the shop unit, after Kkot-nim helps her out by securing an employee loan from the hospital. It’s a teary affair, as she, Mi-sook and Young-pil hold a mini-celebration for her new start. She remembers how the couple helped her and Kkot-nim through their difficult times, “I will never forget it, even till the day I die,” she cries. More heartbreaking events to come, as my worst fear happened, when morning breaks…

Credit  http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/10/my-daughter-flower-episode-17/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 18 December 11, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

The neighborly realtor was on a fraud spree, and now Soon-ae is beating herself up over falling prey. With good intents, it can never be anybody’s fault, but just a stroke of bad luck. I can totally understand Kkot-nim’s frustration with her stepmother, borne out of worry mostly, but also naturally blaming her for not being content with life. I get it too, why Soon-ae, despite the advices, was stubborn over her decision to be independent. My pity for her, isn’t so much about losing her money, but feeling the stupidity she felt for herself, especially how she was proud about independently looking for a shop unit, meeting with the realtor, and going through the paperwork. She was excited about marching towards the freedom that she mapped out, which is a boost to her self-esteem. It’s particularly meaningful, because nothing ever worked out for her.

So, that’s all she can think of now, about what a fool she is. She can never forget the day of Soo-chul’s passing, how he breathed his last breath only after seeing Kkot-nim. Imagine how sad he must be, if he knows how Kkot-nim suffered under her care. She only wanted to make a better life for the girl, who would know that she would be piling her with more debts? Mi-sook reminds her that she toiled hard for the family too, juggling a couple of jobs at one time, and neglecting her health, “treat it as a lesson. Money can be earned. It’s a blessing that you’ve yet to pay up the rest.” But very quickly, she laments about the 25 million won that was conned, and that wakes Soon-ae up from her misery. It’s hard-earned money, and she can’t just sit around doing nothing!

At work, Kkot-nim tries pricking Joon-hyuk’s memory about his accident, but he has not the slightest idea. She reassures him, and encourages that he will fully recover someday. Looking at his family drawing, she learns that he lost his mother as a kid, and she reveals that she lost her father too. And being a kid, he’s happily clapping, that they share a similarity, wonders if she has a grandmother and a brother too? That saddens Kkot-nim, as she’s reminded of her loneliness, “there’s only me and my mother.” Joon-hyuk notices her sadness, and consoles her with a magic band-aid, something his brother bought. He puts it on below her eye, after deciding that tearing is painful, and that should help.

His childlike behavior is infectious, and her mood is lifted. To praise his efforts, she tells him that their roles are reversed for today, “I’m the patient, and you’re the therapist.” She suddenly remembers not seeing Sang-hyuk, and learns that he came without him, as Sang-hyuk has a busy schedule. She “Oh, I see” with a tad of disappointment, while he becomes moody on the reminder, because he misses his brother, and so he assumes Kkot-nim shares his feelings too, “noona, you miss my brother too, right?” Kkot-nim is caught off guard by the question, stammers her denials awkwardly, and is further embarrassed, when Joon-hyuk excitedly notes that her face is suddenly flushed, and wonders if she’s feverish? Kkot-nim distracts him away from her face, while self-consciously patting down her blushing cheeks. Kkot-nim first? Who would have thought?

Sang-hyuk meanwhile, is having Chae-kyung frustrated with his I-am-off-limits attitude. Seeing that she’s having trouble getting a cab, and remembering her teary revelation about her car accident, he gives her a ride. With his gesture, she’s hopeful about his interest in her, especially since he’s going out of his way to send her to her destination. She hints that it will be difficult to get a cab by when she finishes with her meeting, but he simply tells her to dial for one. Still not giving up, she suggests for him to come pick her up, if his time allows, but he tells her that he has none of that time. She grumbles that he’s a meanie, adding that it’s no wonder he has yet to be in love, and he replies by telling her to get off now, if she’s going to keep up with this talk. She hurries to promise that she will shut up, but silently vowing that he wouldn’t be able to keep up his arrogant attitude for long, as she slowly inches up her skirt to seduce with good measure. But this is Goo Sang-hyuk, and even never seeing that, he’s already huffing a sigh of boredom at this timely moment, and that’s as good as puncturing her pride, as she frustratingly covers her exposed flesh.

It’s certain. Soon-ae is indeed Jae-ho’s first love, although her name isn’t specifically mentioned. Grandma’s search turned up the information, that the woman lived in Sokcho briefly during her marriage, but left when her husband passed on in an automobile accident, and there’s no news of her thereafter. Her thoughts are interrupted when Joon-hyuk returns, and she turns her attention to him, asking what he did at therapy? He shares that Kkot-nim asked if he can remember what he did when he was 20? He can’t, neither could he remember his schooling days when he was 17, but she did reassured him, that it is fine about not remembering, because the accident hurt his head as well as his heart, but he will eventually recover, if he works hard at therapy. Out of curiosity, he asks his grandmother if she knows what he did when he was 20? With choked sadness, she only tells him that something major happened. An event that she wishes to erase from her memory.

With the recent episodes, Hye-jin’s background becomes clearer. Her late grandmother is a close friend of Grandma, and her parents are residing in Australia. Her ex turned out to be a little more scummier than what she briefed Jae-ho earlier. He’s still coming to her for money, and wants a reconciliation, and the last they met up, they fought, she fell, and bruised the corner of her eye. Jae-ho, emphasizing that she’s no lesser than his niece, was concerned enough to find her another apartment, and urged her to move out of her present premise. His mother learns of it and insists that she come stay with them, until the attorney takes care of legal matters. I haven’t form an opinion about Hye-jin, as I still can’t decide if I like her or not. And for that matter, I can’t decide if it’s the actress, or her character that is holding me back.

Sang-hyuk will be seeing good competition from Chae-wan soon. Preparing for his coffee art event, Chae-wan is imparting the skills to the girls, and his proximity with Kkot-nim, as he guides her a little too closely, is upsetting his mother, who’s here with Chun-man. He, to spot-check on the business, and she, to make certain that her son isn’t bullied. As if forgetting what her son is, the sight of him and Kkot-nim closely pasted together, is having her decide that Kkot-nim is a potential vixen! She stirs another fuss, and embarrassed again, Chae-wan rants his displeasure, while clarifying that it’s thanks to Kkot-nim’s brilliance, that the cafe is seeing some hope! Young-ae is relieved, assured of her confidence in her son’s high standards. That annoys Chun-man, reminding her that Kkot-nim is also precious to her parents (and doesn’t deserve to be slighted), not forgetting to point out with satisfaction, that Chae-wan is becoming more serious in his work.

Ending, Kkot-nim returns home, worried when she realizes her mother isn’t back. She goes out in search, and finds her stumbled to the ground, while giving chase to one of the fraudster. She yells for Kkot-nim to grab the man!

Credit http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/my-daughter-flower-episode-18/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 19 December 15, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

More concerned that her stepmother is hurt, Kkot-nim ignores Soon-ae’s cries to grab Mr. Fraud. On Soon-ae’s insistence to give chase, Kkot-nim flares from the frustration that she’s ignoring her well-being over some money. Soon-ae tells her that it isn’t just some money, it’s her daughter’s hard-earned money. Kkot-nim scrimped, never indulging herself with nice clothes and good food over the years, “if only you met a capable mother. But you met me, and had to earn your own keep and school fees. Like a fool, I lost everything!” Tearing, Kkot-nim tells her that they aren’t strangers (for her to feel bad over it), and Soon-ae suffered as much over the years, “because you’re at my side, I never felt that (life) was hard.” Still, Soon-ae blames herself for heaping trouble upon trouble, “this is not what I wanted for you, when I decided to stay by your side.” Kkot-nim begs her to stop blaming herself, “I’m your daughter, and I’ve never regretted it.”

Worried that she will be hurt if the man turns nasty, she makes Soon-ae promise that she’ll drop the matter. If they do recover the money when the cops apprehend the man, then good, if it ain’t so, then they should just forget it. Life has been good for them, and they should live in contentment, “I’ve not one bit of dissatisfaction against you.” But Soon-ae has a lot of it for herself, which is why she can’t just drop it. But let’s wait for morning.

If you remember, Chae-kyung hinted for Sang-hyuk to pick her up after her meeting, which he flatly refused. Determined to hook him, her brainpower is on overtime. So is her patience. She stays out late on purpose, then calls Sang-hyuk with a cry for help. There aren’t cabs, there are strange people around, and to be persuasive, she yelps, “I’m scared!”. He’s more irritated than worried, telling her to dial for a cab. She must have come up with more terrifying excuses, because he soon sighs, as he agrees to come for her. Jae-ho chides Hye-jin for sending a female staff out till this late hour. She explains that Chae-kyung went for the meeting in the day, and she didn’t expect it to take this late.

Sang-hyuk arrives, scowls when he sees empty cabs across the road, “you got me all the way here when there are empty cabs?” Chae-kyung lies that there weren’t any earlier, but he isn’t convinced, “are you sure there was a strange man (following you)? You’re aren’t putting up a show?” She insists that it’s true, and for effect, she pops some pills to calm her nerves, making sure he knows that it’s tranquilizers. He never took them although he knows by sight, then clams up when she becomes curious about how he knew. As he drops her off, she explains that she really was terrified, and he was all she could think of (to ask for help). He gets the hint of what she’s implying and cuts her off, but she ignores him, “I know you don’t have feelings for me…but my thoughts are my business. You can reject the idea of dating me, but you can’t stop me from liking you.” If the man wants to be moved, it probably doesn’t need any of that to do the trick.

I do wonder if Chae-kyung is a little mental from the psychological aftermath. Her self-denial isn’t just about plain lies to herself, but she does seem convinced of what she thinks is happening. Like now, she’s sure that she means something to Sang-hyuk. After all, he did come to her aid at the first instant, even taking the trouble to send her home twice, “given his character, he wouldn’t just send any girl home,” she tells her mother. That’s a lie we all love to tell ourselves, girl.

If this dating misunderstanding does get blown out of proportion, Hye-jin is at much fault as Chae-kyung is. I’m not liking how she keeps speculating about the relationship, just from Chae-kyung’s actions. I’m sorry for sounding harsh, but she does come across as a busybody and frivolous in her speech (which gives me cause to wonder about her seemingly astute sense for business), given the fact that she knows nothing about Chae-kyung, and even Sang-hyuk, for the matter. They are close family friends, but there’s also a good amount of absence in between, given that she knew nothing about Joon-hyuk’s accident until recently.

When Sang-hyuk left to get Chae-kyung, Hye-jin gathered it must mean something, for Chae-kyung to turn to Sang-hyuk for help at the first sign of danger. Her speculation aroused Grandma’s curiosity, who then learning of their so-called fate, was hopeful that Sang-hyuk’s love life is working out. Then, Jae-ho wondered if Sang-hyuk and Chae-kyung are indeed getting closer, although he was nowhere joyful as his mother was. Again, Hye-jin was all praise for Chae-kyung, thinking that she and Sang-hyuk do make for a handsome couple.

I took issue with a scene in E17, when Hye-jin, thinking that Chae-kyung was knocked out drunk, specifically mentioned Jae-ho’s name, when pointing out that Sang-hyuk resembles his father in character. I thought then, that she lacks the art of being discreet. The presence of an outsider, dead drunk or not, means one has to be cautious about walls having ears. I know that the father and son relationship was never intended to be a secret, but it also never was intended to be public news. Obviously, I would think if Sang-hyuk is bent from starting at the lowest rung, it would mean he doesn’t want to be tied to his father’s status. Then in E22 (sorry for speaking ahead), Hye-jin revealed her relationship with Sang-hyuk, when Chae-kyung pried about it, having picked up from their conversation, that Hye-jin is staying with Sang-hyuk. Seeing that Hye-jin is forthcoming, Chae-kyung asks if she knows how Sang-hyuk was involved in some accident? At when she revealed that it involves his brother (although she stopped short at giving details, preferring that she asks Sang-hyuk about it), I was annoyed.

If I seem to have over-reacted, it’s because I see the breach of privacy as a breach of trust. If Chae-kyung is family or even a close friend, or if Hye-jin isn’t a close friend, I can see the reason, and maybe even understand the careless speech behind it. Since it’s neither, I do feel that Hye-jin failed in her duty as a superior, as well as a friend. Chae-kyung, armed with the information, then tells her mother that she’s confident about courting Sang-hyuk (E22), “since I now know his weakness.” See what I mean? It’s really a writing flaw than a character malfunction, given how Hye-jin is often offering her positive speculations voluntary. Since Sang-hyuk has to be written in such a way (which I’m all for it), and with his family behind his decisions, there’s no sense that Chae-kyung can worm her way into Sang-hyuk’s world, if he’s determined to treat her as only a colleague. I can almost see her winning Grandma’s approval without trying (which then would be as good as closing the distance with meeting Joon-hyuk), and if it does happen, it would also be interesting to see how Grandma would react to Sang-hyuk dating Kkot-nim – if it happens. With this reasoning, I feel that Hye-jin is used to set the stage quickly, for whatever future conflicts. Anything that is illogically convenient, is as good as admitting that it’s lazy writing.

I admit that for some strange reasons, I’m prejudiced against Hye-jin from the start. The other characters were all given enough space to set an impression, only Hye-jin is planted from nowhere. Other than Grandma revealing that she used to tag behind Jae-ho, there isn’t a background story to where her affections for Jae-ho is stemming from. I do not mean that a character’s life has to be chronologically detailed, but hers is exceptionally distracting, because her stand towards love is ambiguous. She seems certain without regrets, of how she’s mapping out her life – the single and independent career woman – for she has learned the cruel truth from her parents’ unhappy marriage, and her own, sure that she will not repeat the mistake. But when Grandma shares her worry about Jae-ho not remarrying, and hoped for her to help persuade him, the idea did not go down well with her. I want to understand her uncertainty as a weak self-esteem, that her optimism and confidence is a farce. Soon-ae and Mi-sook have their moment of weakness too, and their strength is honed by circumstances rather than innate. Not perfect either, but we see their trademark personality. Hye-jin, in contrast, is often flighty, like unstable; at times, immature in actions when her image (and age) says otherwise, and these incongruities sway my opinions about her, just as I would set an impression.

On positive issues, the romance is budding. I’m still in Sang-hyuk’s camp, but Chae-wan is adorable in his own way. Motivated by Kkot-nim, he’s going through a positive change, although he doesn’t know that yet. Needing to have the flyers printed in time for the cafe promotion, he drops by the hospital to seek her opinions. She’s impressed, and surprised that he actually has it in him, to do serious work. He admits with shame, that given his Casanova ways, she wouldn’t be impressed. She tells him that it’s because he has yet to meet the right woman in his life, “if you meet the woman meant for you, you will be a loving couple.” He’s touched, happy that at least there’s someone who can see his true worth. Standing to leave, he notices that something caught on to her hair, and picks it out.

A distance away, Sang-hyuk stops in his tracks when he glimpses the scene, and immediately stops Joon-hyuk from calling out to Kkot-nim. The meaningless gesture is conversing something to Sang-hyuk, whatever it is, it sure looks like it’s taunting him. It’s not having a positive effect on him, but then, in a warped sense, maybe it is. Seeing that she’s smiling at Chae-wan, he’s acidic as he mutters, “what’s this? I only thought you are strong, you can smile like this too?” Needing to ease that curiosity, he hangs around in the therapy room until she returns. With his good brother telling Kkot-nim that he saw her with a hyung, it gives him the opening to spit his unconscious jealousy. With the patients around, surely the hospital isn’t a place for her to be meeting with someone over personal matters? She isn’t responding well to him being unreasonable – she can’t see why it can’t be done outside the work premise, if the circumstances call for it. Since he was unreasonable, he can’t work up a logical rebuttal, irritated some more, when she asks if he isn’t leaving yet? “I’m leaving!” but not before they trade little daggers at each other, and after he trips all over himself.

Just as he’s driving out of the premise, Kkot-nim rushes out to stop him. It’s urgent, and she needs a ride to the bus-stop. We know that her mother ignored her advice to stop tracking the fraudster, and has been on a stakeout with Mi-sook since dawn. With a cold coming down, Mi-sook backed an early retreat, and she has just learned that Mr. Fraud has resurfaced! She’s worried about leaving Soon-ae alone to tackle the man; with Young-pil out, she can only call Kkot-nim. Knowing where Kkot-nim is headed, Sang-hyuk tells her that it’s along his route, and offers to send her there. There, he’s shocked to see mother and daughter grabbing to Mr. Fraud for dear life, and he gives chase when Mr. Fraud breaks free from the women’s grips…

ep020_mdtf.gif

Credit: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/my-daughter-flower-episode-19/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 20 December 15, 2011

flower_header-1.jpg

There’s reason why writers swoon over the tall, dark and handsome, for there’s something about statuesque that screams heroism. Well, especially if you consider the scene in the eyes of two puny women, whose very hope is depending on some rouge landlord served with his deserved punishment. So you see, Sang-hyuk is now twinkling with hero glitter, after he chases the fraudster down the street, and elbow-locks him in captivity. Still suave, and without breaking out in sweat. *Sigh* Dramaland is paradise, kind to its people.

Kkot-nim is relieved that the matter is over, and she needn’t worry about Soon-ae going on her high-risk morning stakeout again, “do you know how I worried I am that you’ll hurt yourself again?” Like before, their conversation amuses Sang-hyuk. It amuses me too, because when mother and daughter get into one of their banter, I conjure up images of two birds chirping to one another. Suddenly, Soon-ae remembers about Sang-hyuk, wondering what brought him here? After learning he gave Kkot-nim a ride, she suggests they go for tea, so to express her thanks. He’s on a schedule and needs to run now, with Kkot-nim agreeing that they should do it some other time. She is reminded that she needs to hurry back to work too, preferring not to trouble Sang-hyuk again when he offers to give her a ride back. He dangles Joon-hyuk; she was in the middle of therapy with him (surely she can’t keep him waiting?).

ep020_mdtf2.gif

He leaves to get the car, while the women can’t wait to swoon, and get started on listing how fine he is. Soon-ae admits that she didn’t think much of him, in fact, she liked nothing about him. But the more she looked, he’s not too bad. Trying not to sound eager in agreeing, Kkot-nim points out that he isn’t a bad person, except for being taciturn. Soon-ae glares at her for reversing her opinions so quickly, “you said he was odd, and hated him so much…” If she still hates him, the situation is immediately corrected. Without forewarning, out of nowhere, she’s hit. Fairy dust, I think. As it was just Sang-hyuk’s arm stretched across to around her, to release the jammed safety belt. She freezes at the proximity, distracted by what she’s feeling. He had teased her for employing brute strength on getting the safety belt to work, “use your brain,” and now she tries to get a grip on herself by answering back that she isn’t dim-witted. Just that, those feelings, whatever they are, sucked the feisty air out of her. She’s suddenly meek, breaking into brief smiles, and stealing looks at the driver.

ep020_mdtf1.gif

It’s weird, how you need to feed the urge to talk, when with that somebody. She breaks the silence, thanking him again, then wonders if Joon-hyuk’s therapy is over? Sang-hyuk reminds her of the late hour, “how would he still be around?” Hope, as she realizes that he’s not giving her a ride, only because of his brother. He bursts her little bubble, when he tells her that he’s doing it, so she needn’t go through the trouble of taking the bus, “there are other patients waiting.” She is upset that he let her glimmer of hope die an early death, grumbling under her breath, somewhat sarcastically implying along the line of his great kindness for humanity (since his thoughts were with her other patients).

Back at the hospital, she receives a talking to for leaving her duties. Her lack of responsibility made more glaring, because Joon-hyuk waited for her return. Her supervisor reminds her that patients like Joon-hyuk, are highly reliant on their therapists, and she should treat them with utmost care. She’s forgiven this once, lightly warned about repeating her mistakes again. Mi-ra gloats and piles her with more work. You think she’s going to feel lousy. For a short second, she did, but is quickly replaced by blissful thoughts of Sang-hyuk, mumbling how he runs fast and drives well because of his tall built. The girl is giddy as she laughs to herself, “he’s smart-looking.” Then decides that he’s more than that, “he has the human touch,” and breaks out in a short giggle, before she wakes herself up from her reverie. I’m not sure if she’s proud that Sang-hyuk is this impressive, or more proud that she has an eye for a man who’s this impressive. Anyway, Kkot-nim is in love, and so tingly charming.

ep020_mdtf.gif

So, Sang-hyuk didn’t break out in a sweat, but he tore the seams of his shirt. Coming home to have a change of clothes, he looks in on his grandmother, and sees her hiding some pictures in haste. She had continued keeping tabs on Soon-ae, and learns that she’s in Seoul too. She has aged, probably not recognizable if they were to meet on the streets. Grandma’s secretive ways about the pictures, is having Sang-hyuk worry that she’s making him attend another mat-seon. She asks if he hates it that much; he doesn’t quite know how to put it, although he assures her that he will get married eventually, for her sake. Grandma tells him that she wants to see him marry, not because of herself, but she wants to see him being happy with the person he loves, and having children of his own, “I’ve a responsibility to you.”

He’s no short of admirers, so to say. Chae-kyung goes to the extent of having flowers sent to her by some suitor. Not only he doesn’t care, he’s speechless when her lie is exposed – to her utter disgrace. Hye-jin enlightens him that Chae-kyung likely done what she did, so to provoke his jealousy, “it’s doubly hard when a woman likes a man first. It’s something men wouldn’t understand.” At the cafe, Kkot-nim is unconsciously bragging to Hong-dan, about how Sang-hyuk came to their aid, as she recounts what happened in the day. Hong-dan is surprised that a rude person like him would actually do that, and teasingly asks if Kkot-nim has gotten closer with him?

The conversation then switches to the undesirable Casanova ways of good-looking men, when Hong-dan becomes annoyed with Chae-wan and his bevy of ever-changing girlfriends, “girls will always tag behind good-looking men, and with that, the men gain experience, and with that experience, they become sharper at their manners, and with impeccable manners, comes popularity. It’s a ripple effect.” Not liking for Sang-hyuk to be trashed into that class, since he’s good-looking too, she grudgingly tells Hong-dan, that there are good-looking men with the worst kind of manners, but who silently gives his help!

Having no idea that the fraudster spent almost every cent, and now their money is irrecoverable (which is why Soon-ae is terribly upset), Kkot-nim talks happily about their good fortune – thanks to Sang-hyuk. At that, Soon-ae reminds her to properly thank the man. She asks her stepmother if she’s aware that it’s destiny if (two) people keep meeting unexpectedly? Soon-ae is distracted from her troubles, and asks if there’s such a person in her life? “Is it that person from today?” Kkot-nim denies, although Soon-ae is certain, “that expression on your face is already saying he’s that person. What can’t you say to your mother?” She continues to deny, and urges her stepmother to sleep, while she unconsciously smiles some more at her thoughts, never noticing that Soon-ae is too troubled to sleep.

Jae-ho is troubled too, when Hye-jin mentions that she learned from Grandma, how Jae-ho upturned the peace in the family when he dated during his college days. It’s that heartbreaking past that often have him clam up. This night is no different. He flips through his book to look at the picture, then realizes that the gingko leaf, left between the pages, is missing…

Late at work in the office, Chae-kyung is already drowsing off. She awakes in a fright after dreaming of a bloodied hand grabbing on to her leg – the exact scene at the accident. Her cries worries Sang-hyuk, and she immediately latches on to him. Reminded of how Joon-hyuk was plagued with nightmares after the accident, it invokes Sang-hyuk’s sympathy, and he hugs Chae-kyung, consoling her with a pat on her back…

Sang-hyuk and his sympathy. Somewhere down in the future, I hope I needn’t have to huff, puff, and blow myself to death.

Credit http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/my-daughter-flower-episode-20/

Wow thanks for the recaps @Yeekrfan2‌. I jst read the parts that involved Kott Nim & Sang Hyuk only hehe.

Really hate Chae Kyung.. I remember while watching the drama i found out that CJH was dating her in real life huhu. I was dissapointed and somehow glad they broke off soon after due to busy schedule hehe. She probably is a great girl but her character Chae Kyung was so annoying in the drama that I can't accept CJH fall for someone like her.. lol talk about unable to separate reality from fantasy. :P

Archived