[Drama 2011-2012] My Daughter, the Flower / Kkot Nim, My Daughter 내 딸 꽃님이 Episode Recaps on p5-6 ^^

Guest sunshine4ever

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALERT: SPOILERS AHEAD
Here's a scene where Sang Hyuk (CJH) plays the guitar and sings for Khotnim (JSY):

FMV with lots of lovey dovey scenes of OTP:

The Proposal scene:

This one is still cuts of the drama with scenes from the time they confess their feelings for each other till the end of the drama. Definitely one that will make you reminisce fondly if you have seen the drama :D

I can look at this all days esp the PROPOSAL hehe :\">

This drama was before both JSY and CJH become much bigger star as they are today.  We'll probably not have a chance to see their collaboration again in a long time. So i'm enjoying this captures even more now. It's always nice to reminisce fondly of Kott Nim and Sang Hyuk too even tho i'm shipping JSY with Lee Jung Suk nowadays.

Thank you @ZarraJae and @Yeekrfan2. Give us more..  :D

ZarraJae

said:

ALERT: SPOILERS AHEAD
Here's a scene where Sang Hyuk (CJH) plays the guitar and sings for Khotnim (JSY):

http://youtu.be/89Jgyu2u_dE

FMV with lots of lovey dovey scenes of OTP:

The Proposal scene:

This one is still cuts of the drama with scenes from the time they confess their feelings for each other till the end of the drama. Definitely one that will make you reminisce fondly if you have seen the drama :D

I started watching the MVs for this drama, and each time I just grew more and more frustrated, mainly because I can't find all the pictures of the characters. So I ended up screen capping some images. :))
It so happened that I saw a vid of Lee Jee Hoon and Jin Se Yeon, and Jee Hoon's character's unrequited love just got me. LOL. Although I love the main OTP, but you gotta admit that Jee Hoon's hot on his own. :D
Why, for the love of sweet cotton candies, do I ship Jin Se Yeon with everyone?!?!?! This girl, as I repeatedly posted, is the perfect Leading Lady Material. ;)

Since many fans of this drama are unable to watch due to lack of English subtitles, I'll be reposting Episode RECAP of MY DAUGHTER THE FLOWER, all credits goes to
http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/my-daughter-flower-episode-1/
for her wonderful & dedicated hard work in recapping this wonderful drama in English.

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 1
NOVEMBER 16, 2011

flower_poster_.jpg
A day before the premiere, I found out that PD Park Young-soo (Oh! My Lady, Family Honor) is attached to the drama. It’s a relief, because it’s a drama I want to like, but was worried, when on knowing that Park Ye-kyung (Daring Woman) is writing the story. I did not watch every of PD Park’s projects, but those I did (including Save the Last Dance for Me as Producer), I like it all for its pacing – which this premiere episode nicely delivers. It doesn’t dawdle, effectively drawing out personalities with simple scenes, giving us a basic understanding of characters and their relationships. It will be good if this treatment is consistent. Against strong competition, My Daughter, Flower (내 딸 꽃님이) premieres with an acceptable 9.2%. As this is finale week, the lion’s share is taken by Indomitable Daughter-in-laws (MBC) at 18.5%. KBS Only You, with the advantage of an earlier premiere and Seo Joon-young pulling in the viewership, clocks in a 17.9%. So, let’s see where this one will eventually stand, when MBC’s new drama joins the crowd.

We’ve three small families making up the story, with small being the reason why I like this one better than Only You. Small means lesser characters, tighter storytelling, and a fuller connection in relationships. The other thing is, the riches are self-made, there are no chaebols here. I’m especially excited about this factor, because that should mean we get lesser the mocking. Lesser, not zero, because we’ve one Eun family that is classed under the nouveau rich, so please expect some uppity attitude, and the faked decorum.

flower_01_01.jpg

At the height of a property downturn, Eun Chun-man grabbed some upscale properties in the Kangnam district, and then, boom. So you see why he’s a penny-pincher, and his wife, Young-ae is obsessed with luxuries and comfort. Lee Ji-hoon is the son, Chae-wan, who has never been through a day of worry, contently pleasured by fast cars and women. I don’t sense obnoxious in him, so I guess he’s safe. But his sister, Chae-kyung (Sohn Eun-seo), I think she’s the one who will incite criminal thoughts of neck-wringing. She’s entering college, she’s unhappy that her brother has a new car, she wants a new car, she’s having a brief tantrum because her father is tight with his cash. So, you see that future scenario? She has her sights on my hero, she’s unhappy that some other girl got his attention, she wants that attention, she plays dirty. We can always hope not.

flower_01_02.jpg

In Sokcho, so instantly likeable is the spunky titular character, Kkot-nim (Jin Se-yeon). Standing up for her childhood buddy, Hong-dan (Kim Bo-mi) – victim of school-bullying and extortion – she gives some girl a good thrashing. The result: bruises and dented teeth, with the girl’s mother demanding compensation, and to see her parents. This is where we learn that Kkot-nim is estranged with her father and his new wife (Jo Min-soo), Soon-ae. Soon-ae is a good woman, and everyone in the neighborhood knows that she’s trying to be a better stepmother, but Kkot-nim is hostile because she blames her father for not sending her late mother to the city hospital in time, which could then have saved her life. And seeing him being attentive and sensitive to Soon-ae, makes her feel sorrier for her mother.

flower_01_05.jpg

Soo-chul hopes his daughter can be accepting of his wife, explaining that she’s a pitiful woman, moreover, Kkot-nim should know that she has worked hard at being a good mother. Defensive, Kkot-nim rebuts her father for not sparing a thought for her, pouring out her grievances that her mother led a life of hardship, and scrimped to the point of not seeking medical help when she was ill, “she suffered and died in that manner. So, is your own happiness everything? Don’t you feel the least sorry about Mom?” He may be able to find a substitute for his wife, but not she, “no one can ever take the place of my mother!”

Soo-chul assures her that he will never forget his late wife too, and how she toiled for their family and eventually sacrificed her life, explaining that it’s precisely a worse-than-death regret for not being more attentive to his late wife, that he doesn’t want to repeat the same mistake now, “I feel that Soon-ae is a gift from your mother. I think it’s because she didn’t want to see me drowning my sorrows in alcohol, after her death.” And that upsets Kkot-nim even more, telling him to leave the room.

flower_01_04.jpg

Soo-chul and Soon-ae met when he rescued her from an attempted suicide. She feels that it was a chance encounter, but he tells her that nothing is a coincidence, instead it’s Fate. She talks about repaying the gratitude, but Soo-chul is content as long she’s around him for a long, long time. She thinks he may be Heaven’s gift to her, for when she walked out into the sea that day, she had lost all longing for life, “now, I don’t know how I can ever live on if without you.” Soo-chul shares her sentiments, then makes plans for their old age, “we’ll go on vacations, and when Kkot-nim marries, we’ll care for our grandchildren. We’ll scratch each other’s backs, and then we’ll leave together,” making a pact that no one can die ahead of the other. He hopes that she can be understanding about Kkot-nim’s attitude, and Soon-ae assures him that she will, “how can I dislike her when you dote on her this much?”

flower_01_06.jpg

Back in Seoul, there’s also lots of doting going on between brothers Sang-hyuk (Choi Jin-hyuk) and Joon-hyuk (Baek Jong-min), with Joon-hyuk loving his brother to the point of idolization. Like stickier than gum, both guys. It’s days away before younger brother leaves for his four-year overseas studies, and Sang-hyuk going on a one-year exchange course on company’s bond. Their father, Jae-ho (Park Sang-won), an honest and principled entrepreneur, owns a successful apparel business, /zishen/, that is built from scratch. No shades of chaebol air, so charming already. If only life is perfect, but as every family has their own set of issues, so does this one. Except that it’s something simmering, not out in the open yet.

flower_01_07.jpg

Grandma is concerned, when she finds out that Sang-hyuk is moving out the day after Joon-hyuk’s departure, reminding Jae-ho not to be too hard on the boy when he speaks to him about the matter. More than angry that Sang-hyuk is making decisions behind his back, Jae-ho is more upset that his son is thinking of just walking out on the family. Sang-hyuk has every intention to speak to them about it, just that he planned to do so after his brother leaves. He insists there’s no specific reason for it, moreover, being a third-year undergraduate is an acceptable age to leave the nest. At least that’s what his friends have done, “I’ll have to leave the family eventually.” Jae-ho tells him that when it comes to that, he will have him leave even if he doesn’t want it. But now, he’s to stay put until he graduates, served his military duty, and be self-sufficient.

He is puzzled when Sang-hyuk (as if hinting at some differential treatment) then makes a cutting remark that he had even allowed his ‘precious Joon-hyuk’ to attend some dangerous wildlife camp (so why can’t he move out – something like that). Not wanting to sound overly scathing, Sang-hyuk assures him that he’s mature enough to take care of himself – if in any case, he happens to be worried for him, “just allow me to move out. In that way, you’ll have one less burden.” Now, Jae-ho is angry at the insinuation that he sees his son as a burden! Grandma enters to mediate, Sang-hyuk calmly tells him not to get worked up, “just understand it from a simpler point of view.” But still, NO. And Sang-hyuk isn’t giving in either.

flower_01_08.jpg

Grandma realized whatever that’s bothering Sang-hyuk, it isn’t a mere case of teenage rebellion, which she once thought it to be. Like already guessing what it could be, she asks if Jae-ho had given Sang-hyuk any cause to feel aggrieved. Not as perceptive as his mother, but even more puzzled, Jae-ho tells her that he has done all he should as a parent, “I really don’t know what’s up with this kid.” And whatever Grandma had guessed, she seems to have hit the mark, when she sees Sang-hyuk looking with sad envy at Jae-ho and Joon-hyuk enjoying a father-son moment.

flower_01_09.jpg

Wanting them to spend time with their father before he leaves, Joon-hyuk comes to the office with Sang-hyuk, intending to spring a surprise on Jae-ho. He knows his father wouldn’t find time for an appointment, and the only way is to barge in and demand one. Be it coincidence or Fate, but moments earlier, Grandma dropped in to speak to Jae-ho about a nagging concern, that soon shocks the eavesdropping brothers, “I know you wouldn’t think like that, but by chance, are you feeling an emotional distance with Sang-hyuk because he’s not your son?”

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 2
NOVEMBER 17, 2011

flower_02_02.jpg
Sang-hyuk’s shock is really about Joon-hyuk finding out about the family’s secret, for he already knew of it since he was in middle school. Joon-hyuk is more upset than shocked, that he’s the only one left in the dark, but Sang-hyuk has no wish to discuss the issue in depth, “please, just pretend that you don’t know about it. I’ve always pretended that I’m unaware of it too.” Joon-hyuk isn’t easily placated, insisting that it’s not a matter that can be swept under the rug. He needs to speak to their father and grandmother, for he’s sure there is some mistake about it somewhere. “The three of us, we share the same blood type,” Joon-hyuk reasons with science, and Sang-hyuk scoffs that blood type doesn’t prove anything. “We share the same sleeping habits, and our preference in diet is almost the same too!” Joon-hyuk clutches on to whatever possible factors to overthrow the unbelievable fact.

flower_02_03.jpg

Not wanting his brother to be further troubled, Sang-hyuk assures him that it’s not going to change anything (between them), “just pretend you didn’t hear it and go for your studies.” Joon-hyuk is hurt that Sang-hyuk obviously doesn’t think much about him, to think that he can carry on with his plans, and pretending that the issue wouldn’t matter to him! “What kind of a younger brother lives foolishly in this world, without knowing anything about his brother? I shared everything with you! What about you? What about you!” Joon-hyuk sheds tears that they aren’t as close as he thought them to be. It’s the shame of being a a pity case that Sang-hyuk becomes scathing with his remarks, “so you’re expecting me to feel sorry (about not telling you)? And if I were to tell you that I’m not your biological brother, then what will you do about it? Pity me?”

But Sang-hyuk softens as quickly as he got mad, explaining to his brother that they are adults, and they shouldn’t be behaving like some (immature) teenagers over a matter like this. Not pacified, Joon-hyuk walks away from him in anger, shouting that it’s none of Sang-hyuk’s business about where he’s going. Weary from the frustration, Sang-hyuk yells back, “Fine! Create a ruckus in the family then! Make Grandma sad then! Do whatever your heart pleases!” He drives off, leaving Joon-hyuk behind, and that finally calms Joon-hyuk down.

flower_02_01.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the office, Jae-ho is wondering the reason for his mother’s sudden doubts about his concern for Sang-hyuk. She knows that he wasn’t fond of Sang-hyuk when she first brought him to the family, but it has been 20 years since he has raised the child, and she would like to believe that he has changed his mind about the boy. Jae-ho gets what his mother is hinting at, but he obviously isn’t prejudiced against the older boy (even if he is, I like to believe that it is an unconscious reaction than a specific dislike), as he asks if she’s thinking that Sang-hyuk’s decision to move out, would have something to do with him? “You would never admit to it. But it’s fact that you treat Sang-hyuk and Joon-hyuk differently. I could see that even, wouldn’t Sang-hyuk have sensed it?” his mother reasons.

“Why would you think that? Joon-hyuk has always been weaker since young, and naturally, I would be more attentive to his needs. I’ve never thought that Sang-hyuk isn’t my son. Surely you wouldn’t think I’m so unfeeling?” He goes on to explain that every parent and child have their share of clashes, he and she did too, didn’t they? His mother agrees, but then Sang-hyuk is fragile at heart even though he may look strong, “treat him with a little more warmth, and I’ll be more attentive to him too.” Jae-ho shares that it wouldn’t give him cause to chide Sang-hyuk, if he were less strong-willed, “there were times, when looking at his gaze, I would wonder if he actually knew something. It sends a chill through my heart.” Of course, Grandma dismisses any possibility of that.

flower_02_04.jpg

Worried about Sang-hyuk, Joon-hyuk speaks to his grandmother about being more attentive to his brother, after he leaves. Grandma is concerned if Sang-hyuk had said otherwise, but Joon-hyuk quickly insists that it isn’t what she thinks. The brothers are always in company of one another, and he’s worried that Sang-hyuk will be lonesome without him. Not knowing Joon-hyuk’s real concerns, Grandma chides him for worrying about useless issues, “Sang-hyuk is my grandson too. Why wouldn’t I care for him?” Joon-hyuk knows that she really loves Sang-hyuk, “that’s why I’m thankful to you.” Just then, Sang-hyuk calls to inform his grandmother that he’s away in Sokcho; she wonders why the sudden decision, and is told that he needs a breather.

flower_02_05.jpg

If you remember, Kkot-nim is supposed to compensate her schoolmate for knocking a dent in her teeth. She refuses to be held hostage by her stepmother’s help – which she thinks would only give her cause to be reprimanded by her father. Unable to get a part-time job due to her age, too naive, she jumps at the chance to make a quick buck when she’s approached by some man (who’s obviously into some shady trade) to sell off some products to single men, reminding her that she should be avoiding the cops. He hands her some stocks, then tells her to meet him again to collect her payment once she gets it off her hands.

Hiding that from her parents, she hurries off to do her business, dropping a box of merchandise when she bumped into Hong-dan’s mother at the house. Mi-sook is shocked when she realized that Kkot-nim is in possession of adult products, Soon-ae is even more worried when she calls Kkot-nim, only to hear her huffing and puffing over the phone. And then, the phone goes dead. So, you get that The Imagination is allowed to go wild.

flower_02_06.jpg

The thing is, Kkot-nim isn’t having much luck with her sales, double that with having to pick the right demographic of customers, and hiding from the law enforcers. But every bad luck has its silver streak of hope, as she spots her first potential customer – Sang-hyuk, who has pulled over for a rest. At least, she manages to strike up a sales conversation, even though he says NO; then even getting him to look at her products – by pushing it right into his hands.

So far so good, she thinks, as she jabbers on about selling it to him for cheap. But Sang-hyuk is already not liking what’s in the box, offended and upset that a high school student is involved in something like that, although Kkot-nim, so innocently, still hasn’t a clue about what she’s selling. Before he can take her into hand, she’s pounced on by the local cop, who’s on the prowl ever since receiving complaints from the community about the indecent trades.

flower_02_07.jpg

The two circle round the perimeter of Sang-hyuk’s vehicle in a cat and mouse chase, momentarily distracting him from his troubles, as he’s now curiously amused by the scene. Still not knowing the severity of the matter, Kkot-nim throws a complimentary box over to the cop, fibs that she’s the head of her household, needing to make a livelihood for her parents and siblings, “so let me off this time, okay?” She pleads as she makes her getaway, only to run right into her father, who had saw her from afar when he stopped for his lunch break. Things are definitely getting interesting for Sang-hyuk as he watches from the inside of his car, to the scene unfolding; getting an idea about what is happening, he finally drives off, throwing the box into a nearby trashcan.

flower_02_08.jpg

Back at home, Soo-chul scolds Kkot-nim for being a disgrace. Was he not paying for her school fees, or did he not give her an allowance, for her to be selling these stuff in public! Defiant, Kkot-nim argues that she should be allowed the freedom to do anything she wants, since he’s allowing himself that kind of freedom too (as in remarrying)! Soo-chul’s patience is tested – she’s 17 and he expects her to be sensible, but on the contrary!

He’s ready to serve out the whacking, but Soon-ae holds him back, desperately tells Kkot-nim to admit her mistake. This is only fueling Kkot-nim’s rage to defy, as she stands to accept her punishment, refusing to say she’s sorry. Pain is hurting Soo-chul more than anger, scolding her for destroying his trust. Soon-ae stands up for her, insisting that Kkot-nim must have a reason for doing so. Not wanting to be at the mercy of Soon-ae’s aid, Kkot-nim stalks back to her room, leaving Soo-chul fuming in disappointed anger.

flower_02_09.jpg

Kkot-nim boycotts her dinner, and when Soon-ae comes to coax her, she lashes out that she and her father can enjoy their meal together. Stubborn, she halts any of Soon-ae’s attempts to explain, “don’t give me the crap about treating me as your own child despite not having given birth to me! For a daughter going through puberty, would you ever know what a mother means to her? I’m not going to harbor some childish thoughts about fighting with you over my father. I’ll just give him up!” Really not wanting to do that, she glares at Soon-ae with blame and hatred, “I’ll just completely remove my father from my heart! That would do, wouldn’t it?”

But Soon-ae looks like she knows about a relationship between a parent and a child, more than Kkot-nim presumes she doesn’t, “do you think it’s so easy to give up a relationship between a parent and their child?” Of course, Kkot-nim is too young and angry to perceive that regret, “when a man falls totally for a woman, it’s expected that he will be blinded, isn’t it?” Understanding how Kkot-nim is misinterpreting her sincere feelings for the family, Soon-ae asks if she really dislikes her that much? “Yes! I hate you, I hate you…!” Kkot-nim repeatedly slams at Soon-ae’s heart.

flower_02_10.jpg

Knowing that Soon-ae never ever drink, Soo-chul is surprised to detect a whiff of alcohol from her breath, she smiles that she has a sudden urge to drink some from his leftover soju. She then works up the courage to tell him that maybe they should just end things here, “without you, I think I’ll be able to live well on my own too.” Soo-chul is upset, knows that she must be weary because of Kkot-nim, “even so, you can’t say such things carelessly. I don’t want to ever hear of such talk again!” Soon-ae half-heartedly agrees that she probably shouldn’t have said it, given how well he had treated her.

flower_02_11.jpg

She resumes her drinking, stopped by Soo-chul and she further pours out her troubles. She’s feeling guilt, that Kkot-nim is suffering over her own happiness, “you shouldn’t have treated me so well, and I wouldn’t be caught in between. I used to think that I’m not fated for happiness. I was abandoned by my parents, and since after, happiness never came for me. Not even once. I know happiness only after meeting you. I’m grateful for it, yet uneasy too (because happiness will always elude me). But…it’s sufficient. Because for once, at least I’m happy. And to be loved and cared for by a man like you. I don’t want to be greedy anymore.” She repeats her wish again, “let’s not live together anymore. Let me go.”

Unable to imagine a life without her, Soo-chul asks if she would prefer to see him die of a heartache – where does she think she’s going after leaving him? Soon-ae breaks down, “then what do you think I should do? I just feel that I’m not meant to be here. I hurt so much that I feel I will die!” Soo-chul grabs her hand, apologizing for causing her so much pain – he never knew it was so hard on her. He promises to do better, adding that Kkot-nim will eventually leave for college and marry, “you’re the only one who will always be by my side. And so where do you think you’re going? Don’t ever talk about leaving again.” And Kkot-nim had to overhear just the last part of the conversation, adding to the misunderstanding that her father doesn’t care for her anymore.

flower_02_12.jpg

Between Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim, it’s beginning to look like A Tale of Two Troubled Kids. The next day, Joon-hyuk makes plans to look for his brother in Sokcho. Jae-ho not knowing what had transpired, is somewhat displeased that Sang-hyuk took off on his own, and now making Joon-hyuk travel the distance, promising to give Sang-hyuk a good nagging when he returns. Joon-hyuk insists that Sang-hyuk wasn’t the one who wanted his company, it’s his own decision, for he thinks Sang-hyuk would be pleased to see him.

Jae-ho isn’t really upset about Sang-hyuk, but I guess he’s prickly because Sang-hyuk is a hard nut to crack. He tells his mother that Sang-hyuk was an obedient child, and he just can’t figure out why he’s getting out of hand now – nothing like Joon-hyuk. His mother pacifies him, reminding that Joon-hyuk takes after his mother, that’s why; moreover, Jae-ho was often getting himself into troubles, and was rebellious when he entered college, “every child is bound to give their parents some amount of heartache.”

flower_02_13.jpg

Meanwhile, hurt and disappointed, and having formed a theory on her own, Kkot-nim tore her family portrait into two, leaving her father’s portion behind. And by this same morning, she’s gone and Soon-ae is frantic upon discovering that she has taken all of her clothes, and left behind a note. Then the phone rings…

Credit to http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/my-daughter-flower-episode-2/

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 3
NOVEMBER 18, 2011

flower_03_01.jpg
It’s the school calling about Kkot-nim’s absence, and Soon-ae finds her an excuse. Already informed by Soon-ae, Soo-chul turns back from work, even angrier when reading Kkot-nim’s note, sarcastically telling them that she’ll never appear before them ever, “don’t worry for me. Both of you can just be happy together!” Soon-ae thinks she’s determined about not coming home as she has even left her cell behind, so that they can’t contact her. Soo-chul wonders if she has enough cash on her, which leads Soon-ae to speculate that Kkot-nim had probably planned this for a while – why else would she need a part-time job – and she sobbingly blames herself for this situation. Soo-chul chides her for her thoughts, then assures her that he’ll get their daughter home, “even if she has left, she wouldn’t be too far away yet.”

flower_03_02.jpg

Unable to just sit around and wait, Soon-ae looks for Hong-dan, hoping that the girl was told of Kkot-nim’s plans. She wasn’t, but seeing Soon-ae’s worry, Hong-dan consoles her that Kkot-nim doesn’t really hate her, she was just missing her mother a little too much of recent. And this alerts Soon-ae to the possibility that Kkot-nim may visit her mother’s grave. And she’s right.

Kkot-nim is saying her goodbyes to her mother, before she leaves for Seoul. She tells her that she wouldn’t be able to visit her for a while, “don’t blame me. You left without even asking me (for permission) either,” her forced obstinacy gives way to sadness as she mumbles, “I can’t see why you had to be in such a hurry. It would have been good if you waited till I finished college, got married and had kids…can’t you just have waited for a little while? This is why I hate you! I hate you to death!” She begins to cry, “even though I hate you, I miss you. I miss how you say to me, ‘my daughter, Mom is here. You needn’t worry about anything.’ I wish you could console me like this.”

flower_03_05.jpg

By when Soo-chul and Soon-ae arrive, Kkot-nim has left, but not far. Catching up with her, Soo-chul reprimands her irresponsible ways, and Kkot-nim defensively retaliates that he shouldn’t have given birth to her then, “so that you needn’t be troubled!” Soo-chul slaps her in anger, Kkot-nim uses his action to support her theory that he doesn’t care much for her, “see, you’re even hitting me now! Why don’t you just break my legs?” Soon-ae tries to mediate, asking if all it needs is for her to leave, if so that’s what she’ll do. Kkot-nim tells her to cut the act, Soo-chul further infuriated, shouts for her to go then! “I don’t need a cruel daughter like you!” Pride and anger balled into one, Kkot-nim sort of lost her head too, “I will never appear before you again! So don’t worry! Today is the last day where you and I are seeing each other! So don’t worry!” And she walks away, ignoring Soon-ae’s cries as Soo-chul stumbles from the blow.

flower_03_06.jpg

In the bus, Kkot-nim struggling with guilt, reverse psyches herself that she’s not going to trip all over guilt, for what she had just said to her father. At the hospital, treated for a sudden rise in his hypertension, Soo-chul ignores doctor’s advice to rest and readies to continue looking for his wayward daughter. Before he leaves, he reminds Soon-ae not to ever talk about leaving again, “I don’t need to be troubled over you too. You and Kkot-nim, I need both of you. As long as I’m alive, I will never give up my family.”

flower_03_03.jpg

Meanwhile, Sang-hyuk is still in Sokcho, ignoring Joon-hyuk’s calls, which he himself isn’t really sure why he’s doing that, “Goo Sang-hyuk, just what are scared about?” Looking at the sea, he remembers an incident in their youth, when Joon-hyuk almost drowned, having swam too far out. Sang-hyuk rescued him in time, and gave him a good dressing-down. Not the least afraid, Joon-hyuk told him that he dared swam that far out because his brother is around, “I know you will save me. It’s because you’re here, that’s why I went in.” So, I guess Sang-hyuk is scared that his brother probably wouldn’t need him now, since Joon-hyuk now knows they aren’t blood-related. Blood or no blood, Joon-hyuk doesn’t care. He’s at a rest-stop, patiently waiting for Sang-hyuk to call; calling home to tell his grandmother that he has yet to reach Sang-hyuk, “likely his cell is flat.”

flower_03_07.jpg

Whatever concerns Sang-hyuk have, it’s needless, for his family really does care about him. On seeing that Jae-ho is returning earlier than usual, Grandma knows that he’s hoping that the boys are back. She gets that he’s worried but reassures him that they are okay, as Joon-hyuk had called, although he has yet to meet up with his brother. Over dinner, Jae-ho tells her that he is keeping an intern opening for Sang-hyuk. He thinks it would be good for him to gain some work experience as he finishes college, “it will give him a sense of belongingness. And let’s hope that he wouldn’t be thinking of moving out again.”

His mother is delighted at his thoughtfulness, relieved that the standoff between father and son will see an end, Jae-ho smiles that it’s because no parent can win a fight against their children. He teases his mother about favoring Sang-hyuk over Joon-hyuk, she tells him that it isn’t favoritism but likely because he (represents) something precious to to her. “Is it because of Yeon-min?” Jae-ho asks. But his mother is not ready to discuss the matter further, “I just want you to get along with your child.” Later, alone in her room, Grandma still can’t get over her happiness. She’s glad that Jae-ho really does care about Sang-hyuk, and she now hopes that Sang-hyuk will know of his father’s love for him.

flower_03_08.jpg

Not having enough to purchase a bus ticket to Seoul, Kkot-nim decides to ease her hunger first, only to bump into the shady condoms dealer. He refuses her explanations, and demands that she pays him for the stocks she has taken, but she slips away at the first opportunity, scrambling into a vacant car for refuge. Drama fate, for it’s Sang-hyuk’s broken-down vehicle parked at that spot, while undergoing repair work. By when he discovers her – to his shock – they are in the middle of nowhere. He has a good eye though, recognizing her at first glance – the girl who was pushing questionable products to him! Which of course has him assumes that she’s up to no good, and he forcibly removes her from his car, despite her pleas for him to drop her off at a bus-stop.

flower_03_09.jpg

Sang-hyuk drives off, leaving Kkot-nim to grumble but she’s soon getting nervous. It’s late and it’s cold and she’s stuck along an isolated road with no transport in sight. No choice, she calls Hong-dan for SOS, and the girl while under instruction not to reveal Kkot-nim’s whereabouts, decides that it’s not something that should be hidden from her parents. Relieved, Soon-ae informs Soo-chul, reminding him not to be harsh on his daughter when he sees her. Soo-chul promises, “I’ll not get angry. I’ll coax her to come home with me.” Meanwhile, arriving at his stop, Sang-hyuk checks his cell and is surprised to learn that Joon-hyuk is in Sokcho, and waiting for him. He returns the call, tells his brother to stay put while he gets to him, but Joon-hyuk tells him that this time round, it should be his duty to come for him. “I’ve rented a car. Wait till I get there and you’ve to buy me a good dinner.”

But sadly, tragedy awaits.

flower_03_10.jpg

I guessed as much that Soo-chul’s death will be connected to Joon-hyuk’s accident, I just didn’t expect Chae-kyung to be part of it. I half-thought that perhaps Kkot-nim may be the reason; while she isn’t a direct cause, like Sang-hyuk, she (and he) will have to bear the guilt for being indirectly responsible. Back to Chae-kyung, she and her family happen to be at a hotel in Sokcho to celebrate her birthday, unable to persuade her mother to buy her a car (she will, when she obtains her driver’s license), she steals her brother’s car out for a spin.

It’s night and she has lost her way; knowing that she’s going to get an earful, she’s hesitating to call her family for help. As she’s getting nervous, her cell rings, and trying to retrieve it while keeping half an eye on the road, she causes Soo-chul to lose control and hit a tree, as he swerves to avoid her. With her nervousness escalating and thoroughly shocked now, she fumbles and caused a second accident in split seconds. This time, it’s Joon-hyuk at the wheel. His vehicle takes a tumble over the edge, and he’s seriously injured. Collecting herself together, Chae-kyung steps out of her vehicle. She freezes in terror as she takes in the sight of her bloodied handiwork…

Credit to  http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/my-daughter-flower-episode-3/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 4 November 19, 2011

flower_04_07.jpg

I call this a tell-tale scene. The impaired witness who will likely be repaired, if only to finger the culprit. This episode is a tragic sequence of affairs, but one that slips into drama predictability. The clichés that have you hate certain characters more, sympathizing with plights even more; just that, it’s so predictable that you don’t really feel for it. It much announces how the story will unfold, and which supporting characters will provide the key link to unraveling the dramatic events.

I was disappointed that Choi Jin-hyuk didn’t nail his emotional scenes, and it’s obvious that he knew he underperformed, seeing how he often shields his features with his hands to create the understanding of grief. I recall his previous works, and remember that it wasn’t often that his characters are thrown into this depth of emotional struggle. Sang-hyuk is meant to be a man of quiet strength and subdued emotions, and so, I also get that the actor is probably more focused on laying that personality groundwork, while coping with the task of emotional portrayal. I’m patient. If there’s some good coming from daily/weekend dramas, it’s that actors are properly reborn.

The first half of the episode is visually explanatory, so I will treat it with a quick narrative. Chae-kyung is now officially a hit-and-run driver – that’s what the media is reporting over the news. Some luck for the victims, for the rain came falling down, destroying most of the on-scene evidence. Her mother, Young-ae is now accessory to the accident cum vehicular manslaughter – if you take into account that Soo-chul eventually dies of excessive bleeding (he would have survived if Chae-kyung had called in the accident) – as she nervously packs up the family and leaves for home in the middle of the night. Chae-wan is now unknowingly situated in a future position of doing the right thing, or hushing up the unlawful thing. My bet is on the former. He does think that this late-night return trip is odd, he does think that his two women passengers are acting odd, but he’s half-distractedly fuming about his sister ruining his vehicle – the details generously left out.

flower_04_05.jpg

And I want to half-bet too, that Mr. Car Disposal will resurface some point in time (1) to want money; (2) to want more money. But mostly, I think he wouldn’t dispose of the vehicle, as he promised Young-ae that he would. This is because to make a case, one needs the culprit, the witness, the weapon – which in this case, would be THE car, and maybe Chae-kyung’s blood-stained clothing, which Young-ae thinks it isn’t wise to dispose of (since people do rummage for used clothing in the bins), and chose to wash off the evidence. AH. But C.S.I taught us about Luminol, and while I doubt this will go into the technicalities of it, at least, the scene is properly laid out for the future. Anyway, Soo-chul passes on, and Joon-hyuk is in an emergency operation…

flower_04_04.jpg

It is hours after the operation and Joon-hyuk has yet to show signs of consciousness. Jae-ho is arranging for him to be transferred back to Seoul, muttering that they did wrong from the start – Joon-hyuk should have had the operation in Seoul, but his mother reminds him that time was crucial then. A check with the surgeon on his condition, returns a guarded prognosis: due to the heavy bleeding, his brain was severely damaged; worst-case scenario, Joon-hyuk might be reduced to a lower mentality. Jae-ho collapses from the blow, Sang-hyuk cries alone.

Fates change hands, and so does the relationships. Whatever affection Jae-ho has for Sang-hyuk isn’t strong enough to guide them through the crisis, and if Jae-ho were indeed emotionally distant from Sang-hyuk, the rift widens further. Thinking that his father is still unconscious, Sang-hyuk holds on to his hand, only to have Jae-ho loosening the grip in silence, turning to his side, refusing to look at him – it’s a clear-cut expression of blame, and more blame. Already packed with guilt and self-blame, Sang-hyuk is further hurt, but he apologizes to his father, “I know how much you love Joon-hyuk. I love Joon-hyuk too, possibly much more than you could ever know. I just need you to know that,” and he weeps silently.

flower_04_03.jpg

Having witnessed the sorry scene, Grandma retreats in silence, crying to herself that it’s all a result of her retribution. Later, collecting her composure, she warns Sang-hyuk about heaping the blame onto himself. It’s a stroke of bad luck that had befallen Joon-hyuk, an encounter of poor luck that could have struck just anybody, “don’t think otherwise.” Heartbroken at how drawn he looks, she gathers as much that it must be hard on him.

flower_04_01.jpg

At another end of the same hospital, silently torn by guilt, Kkot-nim refuses to pay her respects to her late father. She appears calm, but Mi-sook topples that last wall of defense, when she cries over how Kkot-nim is pitiful to have lost both her parents at a young age. Hong-dan follows her out of the funeral hall, and urges her to take a bite to regain her strength, but she decides that it’s better to punish herself, “it’s okay that I don’t eat. I don’t have the right to eat. I don’t have the right to feel sad. I don’t even have the right to cry.”

Her fortitude breaks, as she recalls her last words to her father, “I didn’t mean any of it! I wanted to tell him that, but…he didn’t even hear me. My father left, remembering how I hated him,” she alternates in between calmness and sobs, as she reveals her feelings, “but you know how much I really like my father. And I didn’t even tell him that I love him!” She weeps, her friend consoles her with a hug, and Soon-ae looks from afar in abject sadness.

flower_04_02.jpg

Alone in the open, Kkot-nim shouts out her apologies to her father, crying for him to take her along with him, “I…don’t want to be here alone!” She breaks down completely, continuing to admit how she was at fault. And three times seal the fate, as Sang-hyuk on some alone time, spots her a distance away. Obviously shocked that she’s in mourning, a fate that didn’t seem likely when he last saw her. He’s saddened by her grief, but it’s her screams that seem to feed the exact regret in him, as Kkot-nim cries out, “I was wrong! I said I was wrong, Father…!”

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/my-daughter-flower-episode-4/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 5 November 21, 2011

flower_05_07.jpg

It is some days, or maybe weeks after the tragedy; both women still adapting to their loss. Soon-ae is a mix of sad and anger, blaming Soo-chul for backing out of their pact, “what else do you have to say for yourself?” She glares at his usual seat, helping herself to bowl after bowl of soju, and earned a chiding from Mi-sook, who has brought food for the family. “What do you expect me to do then? I felt he was just at the door, calling for me as he enters the house. What should I do then? I’m blaming him now. If this is how it would be, he shouldn’t had rescued me. If he was going to leave by himself, why save me then? Why make that pact to grow old together?” Mi-sook tells her that Soo-chul wouldn’t want to leave behind his beloved family either, “do you think he wanted to leave?”

flower_05_08.jpg

But troubled fate and grief can only give rise to bitterness, as Soon-ae questions the existence of God – if there is indeed one. “Why let me be borne? Only to snatch my parents, my child, and now, the one I love. Why let me live?” She finally breaks down, “this is a life worse than death! I’ve nothing to live on for anymore!” Mi-sook reminds her that there’s still Kkot-nim, but Soon-ae is wearied to her soul, after decades of foolish obedience to some damn Fate. She shakes her head, “I don’t know! I don’t know!” She doesn’t want to care anymore.

But Mi-sook continues that the living has to live on, and hit-and-run driver must be found to demand justice for Soo-chul, “you’ve to pull yourself together to care for Kkot-nim. Do you bear to abandon her?” Then, Kkot-nim’s voice rings out, on overhearing the conversation, “just throw me aside and leave then! If it weren’t for my father, we are strangers anyway!” She adds that she has no wish to live with her either, and she will not blame her for her decision, “it’s best we part as soon as possible!”

flower_05_09.jpg

Kkot-nim assumes that Soon-ae must be blaming her for her father’s death, “if I hadn’t left home…” but Soon-ae assures her that it never passed her mind. Not as forgiving, or maybe just needing to lighten her self-blame, Kkot-nim attacks Soon-ae further, “but I blame you. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t have left home!” Just as Soon-ae wonders what she should do about Kkot-nim, they are called down to the station.

The investigating officer explains to mother and daughter how Soo-chul’s accident happened, and that they have issued a nationwide warrant to all auto-repair shops to look out for the involved vehicle. While they have appeal for witnesses, he advises that it may further help if the victim’s family put up a reward. At this point, Kkot-nim sees the on-scene photos, and throws up out of shock and pain, on realizing how much her father must have suffered during his last moments.

flower_05_10.jpg

Both the dead and the undead are in an almost alike plight. Joon-hyuk is still unconscious, but at least he’s breathing, which is the only thing that is keeping Sang-hyuk’s hopes up. But the prognosis still isn’t good, with Joon-hyuk’s frontal and temporal lobes both badly damaged. Jae-ho is desperate, willing to give up his riches for his son’s recovery, but Professor Song tells him that medical science has done its best for the patient, it’s up to Joon-hyuk’s will now, “doctors aren’t God. Just wait for a while longer. There are cases where patients do awaken miraculously.”

flower_05_11.jpg

Knowing that his father couldn’t find it in him to forgive, Sang-hyuk intended to stick to his decision to move out, that is until he sees him drowning his sorrows in his drinks. He tears up his rental contract, kneels before Jae-ho and seeks his forgiveness. If he hadn’t acted brashly and took off for Sokcho, Joon-hyuk needn’t have came looking, “it’s my fault. I did wrong. When Joon-hyuk awakes, I promise to be a better brother to him, many folds better than now…and to you too. I will work harder at being a better son. Please forgive me, Father.” If Jae-ho were to give him a good dressing down, Sang-hyuk probably would have felt better. But his father is calm while dishing out his faults, reflecting how he may have given up thoroughly on Sang-hyuk, disappointed to the point that he can’t even work up an anger.

“As a brother, you can’t even protect your younger brother. He went out well in the morning, and by night, he returned a different person. What’s the point of your regret now? Being the eldest son in the family, you have a greater responsibility than others. You were smart and obedient as a kid, and I had high hopes for you. How can you disappoint me time after time, as you grew older? I know you hurt too, and you’re filled with regrets, likely wishing that Time will turn back. I understand that. So, you can rise now.” Sang-hyuk is cracking up in pain, imploring his father…but Jae-ho continues, “if there has to be blame, I can only blame myself for not bringing up my son well. Who else can I blame?” Jae-ho turns away from Sang-hyuk, as he tells him to leave the room. He may not lay blame, but he didn’t speak of his forgiveness either.

flower_05_12.jpg

Grandma must have overheard their conversation, for now she’s telling Sang-hyuk not to take his father’s words to heart. Sang-hyuk wishes that he was the one in the accident, and that he never need to wake up ever. Grandma forbids his demoralizing talk, telling him how his father cares for him, and wanting to groom him for the business, “he was harsh because he was angry with you, but it’s also because he wanted to please you that he made the decision (for you to work at the company). It’s because of Joon-hyuk, that he’s acting this way now. You’re all precious to him.” Sang-hyuk wonders if it’s really the case, “of course! You’re the eldest son of the family!” Grandma reassures him, adds for him to bear with it, and give in to his father this time, “you’re the only one who can console your father now.”

flower_05_06.jpg

Misunderstanding Soon-ae’s intent, Kkot-nim pulls another tantrum, and refusing to have her meals. But this time round, she is reacting out of fear, rather than disapproval of her stepmother. Probably she figured that Soon-ae wouldn’t see any reason to stay in the family now, and their estranged relationship (with she actively pushing it), kind of makes it hard for Kkot-nim to say otherwise. Wilful, she tells Soon-ae that she can do without the concern, “since we’re going to be strangers soon! It’s hard on me to look at you, and I believe it’s the same for you too!”

Next morning, likely in her humblest tone in years, she tells Soon-ae that she can help herself to her father’s money, “since you’re leaving and don’t have anywhere to go to. But not too much (of the money).” Soon-ae replies that there are too many things that she needs to attend to – her father’s business, his accident, other urgent matters on hand, “I won’t be leaving until your high school graduation. Even if only for your father’s sake, I can’t walk out, leaving you alone.” At least, Kkot-nim isn’t protesting, and Soon-ae continues, “by when you graduate, I wouldn’t stay on even if you want me to. So, for now, tough as it may be, just bear with it.” Soon-ae pushes her luck a little more, with some amount of trepidation, “it’s only 2 years. Can’t you bear with it?” She can, but she’s not admitting to it, instead tells Soon-ae they will talk when she returns from school.

flower_05_03.jpg

With Young-pil’s help, Soon-ae puts up a banner at the accident scene to appeal for eye-witnesses. She’s apologetic about imposing on Young-pil, but Mi-sook corrects her that it’s their family who were often blessed with Soo-chul’s help. Needing to remember him, Soon-ae stays behind for a moment, but just looking at the now-empty spot where Soo-chul’s vehicle had crashed, her eyes glistens with tears, “if I knew it was his last, I would have dragged him home…for a piping hot meal. He wasn’t well…,” a tear rolls down as she experienced the regret, “and I let him go with an empty stomach…it(‘s a regret that) weighs on my heart.” Mi-sook consoles that Soo-chul will understand (that it isn’t her fault). Soon-ae heaves a breath to hold back her tears, but fails, as another escapes…

flower_05_04.jpg

Who, but Young-ae should pull up in the opposite lane. Chae-kyung, plagued with nightmares, is in a mess. Her dear mother encouraged her to forget her misdeeds, and to move on with her life, assured her about seeing to the rest of the problem. So, she’s now checking out the scene for any possible evidence left behind by her daughter, upset to see the appeal banner, and muttering about (the victims’ families) offering a reward (which would then increase the probability of encouraging a witness). The two women notice her; Soon-ae bearing a glimmer of hope that she’s a witness.

Nervous, Young-ae quickly covers her face, then stammers with an excuse, and that she knows nothing about the accident. She drives off, but her suspicious manner is having Mi-sook wonder if perhaps, she is connected to the accident? Soon-ae logically reasons that if she were, this would be the last place she would return to, “she would have escaped to some faraway place.” Meanwhile, Young-ae is relieved after making a quick analysis: no one knows anything yet. If they knew, why else would they offer a reward?

flower_05_05.jpg

Be it about guilt and needing to redeem himself, or just wanting to share his father’s load, even possibly hoping to close the widening gap, Sang-hyuk is asking Jae-ho to teach him the ropes of the business. Jae-ho, having succumbed to the human weakness of blame, fails at acting neutral, raising an excuse that he’s still a student who’s not up to the job. Sang-hyuk pushes that he’s willing to do anything, even if only in a part-time position. Jae-ho cuts him off, coldly telling him to stick to his studies, as his presence in the company will only inconvenience the others, “this isn’t an amusement park. It’s a battlefield where even pros fail at.”

Not wanting to discuss it further, he hints Sang-hyuk out of the door, then makes a quick decision to tear up Sang-hyuk’s intern application. In a way, this ends the earlier debate about his partial treatments towards the two boys – even if Jae-ho did love Sang-hyuk, it wasn’t one of a depth, that allows him to forgive. On the other end, Sang-hyuk makes a silent promise to both his brother and father, that he will continue to work at opening Jae-ho’s heart.

flower_05_01.jpg

Kkot-nim is such a mule. She really doesn’t want Soon-ae to leave, but pride is part of the troubled equation, and so she’s delaying her return home, as having told Soon-ae that they will talk about the matter after school. Hong-dan reasons that she does need her stepmother, for who’s going to make her meals and do her laundry? Kkot-nim stubbornly replies that she will do all herself, but Hong-dan reminds, “what can you do? When you were living with your father, he was the one doing everything,” and that anxiety (much as she doesn’t want to acknowledge it) frazzles her further.

flower_05_02.jpg

It’s as if she needed the last push to be convinced that she really doesn’t detest Soon-ae, because Mi-sook is now hurrying towards her with bad news at home! Whether true, or just the thugs looking to milk some advantage from Soo-chul’s death, Soon-ae is told that Soo-chul was acting as a guarantor for a certain Mr. Kim (which Soon-ae disbelieves as Soo-chul never made mention), who has since fled town. And with Soo-chul dead, the liability is transferred to his next-of-kin. Soon-ae insists that she is penniless, the thugs continue with their threats, and then, Kkot-nim charges in, yelling at the men…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/my-daughter-flower-episode-5/

class="entry-title"My Daughter, Flower : Episode 6 November 25, 2011

flower_06_10.jpg

When bad things happen, it’s always a consolation to think that everything happens for a reason. At least the thugs making trouble, is giving Soon-ae and Kkot-nim a chance to outwardly show their concern for one another. Kkot-nim physically attacks the men when Soon-ae is shoved about in the chaos, and Soon-ae shields her step-daughter at the first sign of danger; too shocked to resist, when the men forced her to thumbprint her acknowledgement of the debt. They will be back in a week for their money.

flower_06_09.jpg

A silent concern as they each tend to the other’s bruises. Soon-ae reminds Kkot-nim about reacting rashly in future, which Kkot-nim in turn, lightly chides Soon-ae for being a sitting duck (the reason that she had to bite the man’s leg); moreover, Soon-ae attacked the men too. Anyway, the important issue at hand is the debt, which Kkot-nim volunteers to speak to the lawyer about, since she assumes that Soon-ae will be leaving sooner or later.

Getting that Kkot-nim needs a platform to agree to her staying, all without compromising her pride, and so Soon-ae repeats that she’s not going anywhere until she graduates. Like it or not, she’s her guardian for now, “I know you’re a smart girl, but this isn’t something that you can deal with. Whatever and however, I’ll find a way.” She then thanks Kkot-nim for being worried enough to come to her aid, which Kkot-nim is self-consciously avoiding the admission, insisting that’s because this is her house (to safeguard)!

flower_06_08.jpg

Young-pil confirms that Soon-ae is legally bound to repay Soo-chul’s debt, much as the high interest rates of the loan isn’t legal – would those men be concerned about the law to begin with? It has amounted to 300 million won, with the snowballed principal and interest. He warns with worry about the thugs playing dirty until they get their money, “make sure you keep the doors and windows properly locked. And tell Kkot-nim to stay close to her friends.” Mi-sook cries about the injustice – why should they be accounted for the debt when they never ever saw a dime of it? Emotions drummed up by anxiety, Young-pil yells at his wife’s redundant question about the injustice, “this is why one should never act as a guarantor!” and he goes on to reprimand her for tying her hair with Hong-dan’s socks! A likeable couple already.

flower_06_07.jpg

Mr. Car Disposal resurfaces faster than I expect he would. He read about the news, put one and one together – traces of red paint found at the accident scene – refusing to be an accessory to the hit-and-run, emphasizing that one victim is dead and the other is seriously injured. Young-ae feigns ignorance, and so he’s suddenly of civic integrity. As if wanting to wash his hands clean of the mess, he throws the deposit back to Young-ae, hints that he got to make a police report, which of course would mean: it’s a different quotation now. Whether Young-ae understands that it’s blackmail, or indeed believes that the man has to be persuaded to help her, she agrees to pay him more. Which would be 200 million won.

flower_06_06.jpg

One noted detail so far, is having Chae-kyung go through the psychological aftermath, which would lend the story a more believable (even if predictable) state of development, when she comes face-to-face with Joon-hyuk. The accident planted a trigger, regardless of how deep she’s burying her misdeeds. I can imagine it’s going to be jumpy for her, at some point, even if she’s busying to unsheathe her bitc*y claws. You get that I’m ahead of myself in disliking the future her. So already.

As I said, she’s a mess. She’s plagued by nightmares, and she has developed a phobia for moving vehicles – bad enough to hallucinate that she’s a victim. She faints on the road, on seeing an approaching vehicle, which is having the doctor concerned that she’s showing signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, suggesting a psychiatric referral. Young-ae refutes his diagnosis – it’s study stress – and quick to brush off his questions, that Chae-kyung may have been involved in some automobile accidents of recent.

flower_06_11.jpg

And Chae-kyung isn’t the only one going through the emotional trauma. Of the three families involved, Joon-hyuk’s is the worst hit. Sang-hyuk is working within his means to make the best of the situation. He is bringing Joon-hyuk’s favorite music, hoping that it can stimulate him to consciousness. En route to the hospital, on overhearing his grandmother’s conversation with Jae-ho’s secretary, that he has not been eating well, he drops by to pick up his father’s favorite food. But whatever optimism he’s holding on to, gives way to stunned reaction when he learns that Joon-hyuk is in an emergency situation.

While the medical team manages to revive his vitals, the prognosis is worse than before. With Joon-hyuk at a comatose stage, his brain function is fast deteriorating too. Sang-hyuk holds on to bare hope, reprimanding his brother for sleeping a little too long, then begs him to return to his rightful place. He pushes the earpiece in Joon-hyuk’s ear, breaks down as tries to chide him into a reaction, “whether you like (what you’re listening to), or not. Say something!”

flower_06_05.jpg

Jae-ho takes to the alcohol, returns drunk, and crying to his mother about his poor son. He wonders what he had done wrong, or did he cause pain to someone, or perhaps unintentionally hurt somebody, for the bad karma to be transferred to Joon-hyuk, who’s already a pitiful kid who has never known of a mother’s love, “if he would be able to come around, I’ll gladly give my heart in return! But what if he never wakes?” Jae-ho bawls in his mother’s arms; the scene and the reminder of his folly, wrecks Sang-hyuk further.

On a closer look, Joon-hyuk’s comatose state isn’t the only attributing factor for the family’s grief. IF, the biological brothers had went on a holiday together, under a positive mood, would the (self)blame fall with such weight on Sang-hyuk? On another note, Jae-ho’s pain is now doubled or likely even tripled, if we give room for the possibility that he may have pondered on the fact, that if he hadn’t done the meritorious deed of adopting Sang-hyuk, then the tragedy probably wouldn’t have happened – giving reason to his self-questioning of: what wrong he had done, for this fate to befall his son? None, both morally and factually.

flower_06_03.jpg

The interesting idea so far, is reading the depth (or the lesser of it) of love between non-blood relations. In Jae-ho’s case, the long-existing debate of how much he regards Sang-hyuk as a son? Soon-ae could have reacted like Jae-ho, considering that Kkot-nim and Sang-hyuk are both non-related to each their parent, and both wilfully – although never intentional – allowed room for the accident to occur. There IS a greater forbearance and a different measure in forgiveness for a blood relation, making it rare, when granting the same understanding for a non-blood. And so in Soon-ae’s case, we term it as a selfless love, but that is so optimistically idealistic. I prefer to think that it’s because Soon-ae understands, be it loss, or the misery of being alone, or just emotions, in general.

So, back to the story. Spooked by the day’s events, and with Young-pil’s worried warning not helping in the least, Soon-ae and Kkot-nim are too fearful to sleep. A sound rings out in the dead of the night, and both huddling pillows as shields, tiptoes out to investigate, causing a brief scare when they bump into each other. Soon-ae admits that she, like Kkot-nim, is too frightened to sleep, suggesting that they sleep together for the night. Kkot-nim, preserving her pride, and wanting to be less obvious about needing Soon-ae’s protection, is curt with her replies, but no where protesting. Another step towards the bonding.

flower_06_04.jpg

Chae-wan notices that his mother is vexing over something. He knows because he understands women – the more they try to hide it, it shows. Citing study stress as a reason (which we know isn’t so), she shares her plans to send Chae-kyung overseas for her studies; with humor, he thinks that it’s an escapist route for Chae-kyung to take the easy way out. He brags about getting into college even though he plays hard; Young-ae notes that it’s a pointless effort, since he isn’t making good of his studies. Chae-wan argues that’s because he isn’t interested in his major, moreover, he’s all set to inherit his father’s business, and he just needs to earn enough college credits to graduate. Back to Chae-kyung, he promises to ask around to arrange for her study plans.

Money matters, and so Chun-man is less easy to convince, since Chae-kyung isn’t study material to begin with, “so, it’s just a waste of the money,” he reasons. That objection, and the 200 million won weighing on her mind, Young-ae strikes up a fuss which then gives her an opening to talk about her lack of property, be it land or apartments! Chun-man senses that she must have gotten into some trouble, as she has never demanded a rightful share of his property. Young-ae insists that it’s a matter of not being on par with her friends, who all have some properties to show for. In heated haste, she threatens divorce, at which Chun-man calls her bluff. She tries to retract the threat, but he’s following it through, further angered, when she reminds him that she’s entitled to half of his assets if they do divorce.

flower_06_01.jpg

Mi-sook, with light bruises on her face, comes by to hand Soon-ae a business card, courtesy of Young-pil. He appointed an attorney during his bankruptcy crisis, and maybe she can have use for the professional advice. Soon-ae learns that the couple fought because Young-pil’s friend in Seoul (who’s migrating) insisted that he take over his house. And Young-pil agreed, even took out a loan for that, but did it all behind her back! Soon-ae didn’t take Young-pil for a wife-beater though, but Mi-sook isn’t heartbroken over it, waxing victorious over her payback, “well, if I’m bruised to this degree, he must at least be seriously injured. Am I one to just take a beating?”

Needing to come up with the money for the creditors, Soon-ae resorts to putting the house up for a bank loan; totally shocked on learning that Soo-chul had already put up the house as collateral, and took out half a billion won in loan. Now that he has passed on, with the loan in liability, the bank has the right to freeze his account, which means Soon-ae is in a deeper financial fix – even Soo-chul’s savings are gone.

flower_06_02.jpg

Meanwhile, unaware of the situation, Kkot-nim mulls over her own set of financial troubles. She needs almost 2 million won for tuition school, if she hopes to make it to college. But with the family hounded by debts, she knows it’s a hefty sum, which is making it hard for her to speak to Soon-ae. After dawdling with the push-pull factors, she thereafter decides, that it isn’t wrong for her to help herself to a little of her father’s money ahead – since in a way of speak, it’s her legal inheritance. And she’s shocked, when coming across the bank documents, to see that they are in a bigger financial debt than she could imagine…

Credit to: http://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/my-daughter-flower-episode-6/

Archived