[Drama 2011-2012] My Daughter, the Flower / Kkot Nim, My Daughter 내 딸 꽃님이 Episode Recaps on p5-6 ^^

Guest sunshine4ever

My Daughter, Flower : Summary (E70) February 23, 2012

flower_header-1.jpg

(1) To everyone’s shock, Grandma is not giving her consent, although she only puts it down to marriage being an important matter, and thus they have to cautiously consider. Her disapproval is evidently more than about that; hurt, Kkot-nim leaves, with Sang-hyuk going after her. Jae-ho confronts his mother’s attitude, “you nailed my heart once, I won’t let you do it to Sang-hyuk!”

(2) Sang-hyuk thinks his grandmother is merely being cautious, promises to speak to her again, optimistic that she will relent because she has always sided with him, “I know she will not raise an objection. But even if she does, I will not change my mind.” Kkot-nim is less optimistic, tells him that it’s impossible to overcome it as long as the elders disapprove. Her response drives a dread into him, and he makes clear his feelings, “listen good. No matter what happen, my bride can only be you. So don’t worry and don’t be uneasy about it.” But the assurance isn’t doing much good. Back home, unable to tell her mother the sad truth, she lies that all went well. When Soon-ae mentions meeting Sang-hyuk’s family to discuss the marriage, Kkot-nim tells her that her visit was only a formal introduction, anything else will have to come later.

(3) Likely it’s going to be a failed effort to dissuade the men, so Grandma goes for the girl, like she always does. After the opening customary talk, at which Kkot-nim asks of her approval since she and Sang-hyuk are very much in love, Grandma explains it’s not that she dislikes her, but since marriage is about two families, it’s impossible to ignore her family background, “once we make a decision we can’t go back on it. But as Sang-hyuk’s life partner, I’ve to consider if you can meet up to the criteria. This is to avoid any unnecessary conflicts in the future. Shouldn’t we seriously consider all these?” When Kkot-nim promises that they will overcome all difficulties, Grandma tells her that everyone who’s dizzy in love will say that, “if everyone can be faithful to their promises made before marriage, there are no divorces in this world.”

She wants Sang-hyuk to marry someone he loves too, “more than anyone, I want Sang-hyuk to be happy. Still, I can’t let him marry anyone from just some family, can I? I can’t blame you that your father passed on early, and your mother did a good job to raise you, but it’s fact that it isn’t something worth boasting about.” (WTH…) Since she’s still young, she suggests she further her studies to upgrade her personal worth, marriage can come later. She doesn’t want to enter into a conflict with her family because of this, and she’s entrusting Kkot-nim with the task of dissuading Sang-hyuk, “that’s the real reason why I came to see you. I’m sure you can understand me, right?” (WT…!!)

Nope, she can’t, “I know I’m lacking but my mother and I, we live life to our best efforts. I know you look down on me, but I’m confident that Sang-hyuk and I will be happy…” Grandma interrupts that she’s sick of repeating her words, puts an end to the conversation.

(4) Kkot-nim is sandwiched, neither able to go ahead with the wedding and unable to reveal the truth to her mother. Add Sang-hyuk to the equation now, after what Grandma told her. When he mentions stopping by at a friend’s bridal shop, she takes the chance to tell him that they should slow things down until Grandma approves. He’s upset, saying that she got things wrong, “Grandma didn’t disapprove.” Well, technically. Kkot-nim pacifies him by agreeing that Grandma didn’t, but still she prefers not to upset her by going against her wishes, “it isn’t a surprise that she’s taken aback by the news since it’s a hasty decision on our end. We should just let it iron out on its own.”

(5) After reminding Sang-hyuk to see to Kkot-nim’s feeling, and assuring that he will take care of matters with Grandma, Jae-ho informs his mother that they should officially meet Kkot-nim’s family. They are expecting the marriage to happen, and it’s impolite to keep them waiting. That’s almost an open hint to disobey her opinions, which he doesn’t deny, “yes, this time, I’m disregarding your words. So please give up.” She rebukes him for going overboard, “I was troubled by your women problems, and you’re going to have me troubled over my grandson’s marriage now?” That’s supposed to be his lines, Jae-ho tells her, “you’ve done enough towards me, so leave Sang-hyuk alone. No matter how you’re objecting to it, it’s useless!” No one is saying anything about objecting, she defends, “I said to give it some time, didn’t I?” Jae-ho isn’t taken in, be it now or later, since the marriage will happen, he hopes she wouldn’t cause pain to the children.

(6) The issue is a reminder of his past, without revealing details, Jae-ho confides in Soon-ae that he’s left with regrets for not able to walk the road he chose, “more than ever, I want my son to be able to walk his. But it’s not going to be easy. I fear he’s going to be in my shoes.” Soon-ae consoles him that times are different now, “young people today are so much smarter. They will live differently from how we lived. Trust your son.”

(7) Not confident that the talking to will do any good, Grandma makes use of her influence. So, much to the Director’s reluctance, Grandma insists Kkot-nim be selected and sent off on the overseas training. Both Kkot-nim and Sang-hyuk are stunned when Mi-ra, who was earlier in a celebratory mood because she was one of the two remaining shortlisted candidates, now accuses Kkot-nim of employing underhand methods in snatching her chance…

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/my-daughter-flower-summary-e70/

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chaybags55

Thanks @booha and @Yeekrfan2 for all these posts . I do hope there will be eng sub . This drama would at least fill up the emptiness in our hearts . CJH is leaving already huhu

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Here are a few pictures from the news articles.
MDTF  EP 66
KKotnim was disheartened after the proposal “Was it too hasty?”
634Fb2M.jpg
http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=198764

Soon Ae asked Sang Hyuk “Don’t hurt KKotnim.”
Cb5Ozch.jpg
http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=198765

Jae Ho confessed to Soon Ae with saying “Just to stay by my side.”
HnVQiUZ.jpg
http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=198743

My Daughter, Flower : Summary (E71) February 24, 2012

flower_header-1.jpg

(1) Sadly, Sang-hyuk misunderstands that Kkot-nim indeed went out of her way to clinch the chance. He asks if she’s insisting on going even when she has to take such crap from her colleague? Aggrieved and battling with rage, Kkot-nim answers, “why shouldn’t I go? If going on an overseas training can make up for what I’m lacking in, I’ll go regardless the distance!”

He’s beyond sad, “am I nothing to you? I’m worried sick about our future but I’m nothing to you?” He had a sleepless night worrying about her feelings, and she’s here finding ways to run away from him. He doesn’t get what’s wrong with her, “my grandmother was being cautious, she never disapproved. Why can’t you be more understanding to her concerns? Moreover, I told you I don’t care about these things. But still, you’re trying to leave me! What are your true feelings for me? Why do you have to disappoint me?” Kkot-nim admits that’s just the kind of person she is, “so leave now before I disappoint you further!”

(2) The matter is serious enough for Sang-hyuk to skip work, return home and pleads for his grandmother’s help – her approval. He knows she loves him and has always been there for him even if the odds are against him. So he can’t see why she wouldn’t give her approval now, “unless it’s Kkot-nim, I will not marry. For marriage will be meaningless.” Grandma tells him no one said anything about not letting him marry. She can’t see the reason for the urgency, it’s not as if something is going to happen if he doesn’t marry now.

But Sang-hyuk is feeling insecure, “I’m not sure. I only know if I don’t grab on to her now, I will lose her. I’m feeling uneasy.” He begs her to help him so he wouldn’t lose Kkot-nim, “if you insist on doing this, then I’ll have to disobey you. I will marry even without your blessings. But this isn’t my wish.” She’s angry, reminds him that he’s the eldest son of the family, “you dare marry without my permission?” But seeing that Sang-hyuk isn’t backing down, she promises to reconsider and that relieves his worry. But we know it’s just a delay tactic since she knows Kkot-nim will be leaving the country.

(3) Meeting with the director of the hospital about Joon-hyuk’s annual medical checkup, Jae-ho learns to his horror about what his dear mother did. He storms home, confronts her for employing the same tactic. Not much creativity to her lines of defence: she did it for Sang-hyuk’s sake, “I did it for his happiness. Whether you believe me or not, that’s my sincere wish.” Jae-ho stands firm that he will not let her repeat that on Sang-hyuk, he will pick a date and have them marry!

(4) Feelings in knots, he seeks consolation with Soon-ae, confides that his worst fear happened. He simply can’t understand his mother, “everyone is marrying out of love, and why is it so hard for us?” He vows to do his best for his son so he wouldn’t be hurt. That moment of sadness pricks his guilt about how he had always distanced himself from his son, much as it was not his intention, “at the very least, I’ve to let him marry the girl he loves. That’s what I should do as a father.” Soon-ae tells him that he’s a good father, “you son knows that.”

(5) Having overheard bits of their conversation when they were at the cafe, Hong-dan asks Kkot-nim if she’s facing disapproval from his grandmother? A surprise since she thought Grandma adores her. Kkot-nim believes that affection is restricted to only her position as Joo-hyuk’s therapist. Hong-dan advises her to leave the problem to Sang-hyuk since it’s his family issue. Seeing that Kkot-nim is troubled, Chae-wan, who learns about it from Hong-dan, coaxes her to confide in him.

Over drinks, she cries as she pours out her hurt. She has always live life to her best, even though it isn’t a bed of roses. So did her mother, who has to put up at someone else’s house, works at an eatery and even had to sell kimbaps just to raise her. She feels they have done good in life but obviously, to others, it isn’t so, “never once did I imagine I would be made to feel ashamed just to get married. No matter how deeply I love him, I don’t want it to be like this…”

(6) Sang-hyuk receives Chae-wan’s call, telling him to come and pick up Kkot-nim as she’s drunk. Faced with Sang-hyuk’s accusatory tone for letting Kkot-nim get drunk, he explains that she was upset and wanted to drink. Concerned that Soon-ae will worry about her drunkard state, Sang-hyuk brings her to his apartment, intending to send her home when she’s sober. She can’t stop cursing him for being a baddie, but we’ve been through that once, and it’s no surprise that she soon switches to confessing her love. Meanwhile, Grandma’s fear is escalating. With Jae-ho insisting on pushing through the marriage, Sang-hyuk will find out soon. With whatever agenda she has in mind, the next we see her, she’s outside Sang-hyuk’s apartment…

Credit to: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/my-daughter-flower-summary-e71/

My Daughter, Flower : Summary (E72) February 27, 2012

flower_header-1.jpg

I double-blinked. Caught anyone by surprise? Because Soon-ae kept telling Jae-ho that times are different and the young people are not going to live the way they did, I did thought it might happen. But certainly didn’t expect it to, given that this is daily drama, and it’s essential for the merry-go-round to spin us crazy. I can scratch myself bald, but still absolutely no idea how it’s going to go from here, but at least it speaks of something unpredictable from the usual fare? Fingers crossed. Seriously, I await with bated breath. With some sadistic humor, I’ve to say Grandma did some good at least. Who knows how miserably this is going to drag out if she hadn’t edged everyone over the cliff? Here and now, Gratification is an underused choice of word. I know, she’s going to be horrified, like.so.very.superlative. Evil, evilevilevilevilevilevil me.

(1) Sang-hyuk clarifies with his grandmother that their relationship is chaste. But that’s beside the issue. Kkot-nim has lost out of favor with Grandma, and sleeping drunk on Sang-hyuk’s bed has only tripled Grandma’s prejudice. For all of Grandma’s understanding that Sang-hyuk is at an age to want to love, how can he just have some woman sleeping on his bed considering their unconfirmed relationship? “Does her mother know what she’s doing?” Her demeaning tone raises Sang-hyuk’s ire, as if piling blame that his grandmother is the cause of Kkot-nim being drunk to begin with, “she drank herself drunk precisely because she was upset!” Grandma hops on the chance, “I wanted to consider but it’s impossible now. If she has a proper upbringing, would she do this?”

(2) Sang-hyuk doesn’t get it why two people in love can’t even be together like this, Grandma is however, more concerned about attacking Kkot-nim’s flaws, “one look and you know she’s not properly brought up. What can she learn when brought up by a widow? Did I raise you to do such things?” If Sang-hyuk was torn between two, it doesn’t seem so now, for he firmly puts his grandmother down, “she’s the person I love. Don’t insult her.” Grandma doesn’t care about their love, she’s more worried of how he’s going to shoulder the responsibility if he makes a mistake with her. To Sang-hyuk, that’s just preposterous, “I can shoulder anything I do out of love. I’m a 30 year-old adult!” he reminds her. She takes it that he’s defying her, at which Sang-hyuk admits, “I’ve nothing to say to you. Please go.” She wants the last word though, “just know that I’ll never accept such a frivolous woman!”

(3) Kkot-nim cries her heart out over the humiliation, Sang-hyuk puts his hands over her ears, tells her that she heard nothing, “whatever you heard today, forget it. I’ll help you with it.” She apologizes for lacking in her qualifications, and for not being accepted by his family, “if you never met me…if you met a better qualified woman, she will be loved so much by your family, and she will receive so much blessings.” Putting him through so much pain hurts her, she caresses his cheek, tells him how precious he is to her, “I didn’t mean a thing I said in the morning. Not once did I ever thought of removing you from my heart,” Choking back tears, he tells her that he knows that, and him tearing is what is heaping on her regrets, “you’ve been bearing so much pain even before you met me. And now, I’ve to hurt you too. I’m very sorry.” Consoling each other, they hug and kiss, and before you know it’s daybreak.

E73Kiss.jpg

(4) Sang-hyuk awakes just as Kkot-nim is leaving. He’s groggy, she’s nervous. Conversation on his end is calm and mundane: what’s the time, why isn’t she looking at him when he’s talking to her, and why is she leaving without waking him? She’s literally whispering her answers, telling him that she didn’t want to disturb him seeing he was sound asleep. More like, isn’t sure if she should be burdening him with responsibility because she turns around in surprise when he tells her to wait up as he’s going back with her, “you’re going to be scolded by your mother when you return. How can I let you go alone?” As if understanding her anxiety and uncertainty about their future, he clutches her hand and tells her, “we go together, and together we get scolded by your mother, then we set a wedding date. We forget the rest and let’s just have a simple wedding.”

(5) Soon-ae’s anger is expected, made worse when Kkot-nim defends Sang-hyuk, saying he did no wrong. She’s ordered to leave the room, leaving Sang-hyuk to be blasted by Soon-ae. Much as he declares he will not give up Kkot-nim, having learned from Hong-dan that his grandmother is opposed to the marriage, Soon-ae announces that she’s not giving her approval either, “I don’t care if you’re poor or if you have an inferior family background, but I will not marry my daughter off to a family who doesn’t welcome her! Do you know how much she has suffered all this time, and you think I’m going to make her suffer more in an opposed marriage?”

(6) It’s fact that his family is the cause of this unhappiness, so Sang-hyuk really can’t back up his own fight even when Soon-ae tells him that this talk of marriage never happened. Kkot-nim rushes in, insists that she can’t live without Sang-hyuk, shouted at to be quiet! Sang-hyuk calms Soon-ae down, promises that he will get his grandmother’s approval with whatsoever methods, “so please don’t say such things as telling us to break up.” Glaring at him, Soon-ae warns, “until you get that approval, don’t think of laying a step into my house!”

(7) Over breakfast, the mood is strained. Soon-ae asks with trepidation if Kkot-nim has anything more to say to her, she gives a a feeble ‘no’. It isn’t reassuring Soon-ae, for she prohibits her from laying foot inside Sang-hyuk’s apartment again, “one mistake and it alters your life. I said that, didn’t I?” She would know, wouldn’t she? Likely the first time Kkot-nim is defying her ever since her teenage years, for she talks back, “to me, it isn’t a mistake, it’s love! I’m confident that I’ll not regret my actions.”

(8) The last happy person in the family isn’t spared. Determined to cut off Kkot-nim’s relationship to her family, Grandma refuses to let Joon-hyuk attend rehabilitative lessons, never mind that he’s bawling in protest. Kkot-nim is worried about his absence, more so when her calls go answered. She speaks of her concern to Sang-hyuk after he sends her back from lunch, not overly puzzled although he’s certain there’s no reason he would be absent, makes a note to check on him. Before she alights, he reminds her not to stray into the land of pessimistic thoughts. She promises with a smile, obviously more assured than she was earlier.

(9) They met for lunch, at which he expressed regret that she was scolded by her mother because of him, told her that his father promised his help and she shouldn’t concern herself about his grandmother. Things will be fine just as long as they continue to have trust and love for each other. He mentioned his father wanting to see her the next day, but that didn’t do much to raise her optimism. Holding her hand, he gave his assurance, “just as long as we don’t let go of each other’s hands. Stay by me and hold on tight, I will see to the rest.”

(10) Mi-ra has insider information that management was pressured into selecting Kkot-nim for the overseas training program. It didn’t dawn on her that it could be true until she spoke to the Director about passing back the opportunity to Mi-ra as she’s getting married. She’s advised to cling to the rare chance even though marriage is important, moreover, she has the choice to extend her training longer than the designated one year because someone is offering to sponsor her expenses. Too good to be true, it sets her thinking: the rumors plus seeing Grandma meeting with the Director. The Director reveals the truth after the weak denial: Grandma hinted about withdrawing Joon-hyuk from their care, with it, the loss of funding, and the hospital cannot afford to have that happen. Kkot-nim is no Soon-ae, so she goes to talk things out with Grandma…

Credit to: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/my-daughter-flower-summary-e72/

My Daughter, Flower : Summary (E73 – E75) March 2, 2012

daughter_74.jpg

If you’re curious about Han Kyung-min (Heo Tae-hee), Hye-jin’s replacement at work, he’s Chae-kyung’s ex. But you would have already fished that information from Chae-kyung’s anxiety. He’s not back to haunt her, it’s just she haunting herself and that means she ditched him? Two-timed him? Who knows? But it was separation on a sour note because Kyung-min assured her with some bitterness that he has long deleted her from his memory database. He didn’t accept this job because she’s here, lest she misunderstands his intentions, but he has no reasons to avoid her either, “even if I had known you are here, I will still accept the job.”

If you are worried, like I was, that the story is going to hit an ugly bend with this estranged couple, Kyung-min is a good man who happens to be Chae-wan’s sunbae. He’s of low beginnings but smart and has a good character; Chae-kyung hooked up with him when they were working at the same company in New York. Obviously, Chae-kyung has lots to be sorry about for the hush-hush love affair, seeing how high-strung she is when it comes to facing him. I don’t mind this romance line because I don’t dislike Heo Tae-hee, and Chae-kyung has since toned down from being a brat. Second chances, always a good thing. I think Kyung-min still loves her, but he’s a man of character – you know the “I’m not going to fall all over you” kind but he saw the world of her, if not still seeing her in the same light. “You regard her as the universe even though she’s nothing. That’s love,” a piece of his sentiments offered to Chae-wan when the poor man poured out his sorrows over Kkot-nim leaving.

I don’t know if Kkot-nim will eventually leave which now seems unlikely given how E75 ended with her overhearing the confrontation between Grandma and Sang-hyuk. A little later about that one but you’ve probably figured out the lines that went into that scene. From where we last left off, Kkot-nim visited Grandma. She’s curious as to why Grandma hates her this bad to pull strings, putting her on that overseas training. She reveals that if Grandma hadn’t gifted her with the box of expensive yellow corvinas, she would never have fell in love with Sang-hyuk precisely because she knows it’s impossible given their vast differences in family background. It’s because Grandma seemed to like her and accepts her, on top of that, Sang-hyuk’s emotional dependence on his grandmother. These fired a hope that at the very least, she will lend her support, “how did such a kind grandmother changed into someone like this and hurt us so much?”

I was relieved when Kkot-nim mentioned she was raised by her stepmother after her parents’ death. This gets the incest issue out of the way, and I can legitimately hate Grandma now. But there’s gratification only if she felt she was hated, but no. For some weird reasons – there’s where you shake your head at Writer-nim – the possibility of Sang-hyuk hating her is minus-zero, she’s even appalled that Jae-ho would say things like that: “what if Sang-hyuk comes to hate you?” And she goes, “why would he? What did I go through just to raise him?” She in turn accuses Jae-ho of being indifferent because Sang-hyuk isn’t his flesh and blood, Jae-ho is exasperated that she misconstrued his words, “have you ever seen Sang-hyuk being happy in the family? And seeing him this happy now, isn’t it all that matters?”

Not knowing that a deeper reason looms in Grandma’s trove of secrets, Kkot-nim sees that advancing herself is likely the only ticket to gaining Grandma’s approval. Sang-hyuk is the only reason holding her back, she tells her mother, “just the thought of leaving him pains me. I know it will be hard without him, but I know it’s going to be tougher on him. If I were to leave him, I fear he will never recover from it. Be it 10 or 20 years, my feelings for him will never change and I will always be waiting for him…until then, when I’m able to hold my head up and high, perhaps Grandma wouldn’t disapprove, would she?”

flower_73_02.jpgflower_73_03.jpg

What’s left is to tell Sang-hyuk her decision which means marring this very cute scene. Sang-hyuk tells her that he thought he was in a dream, “I fear you will disappear if I close and open my eyes again, and so I opened my eyes this wide,” he demonstrates for effect.

She wonders how long he will remember her if she were to die one day, “what I mean is how long will these happy moments stay in your memory?” He tells her that he can forget everything that has happened today, “because tomorrow will be happier than today. That’s because we’ll be walking the road to our future life together.”

That’s the opening she needs and she tells him that since they will be spending the rest of their lives together, it wouldn’t matter if she leaves for a year. His expression darkens at the subject, she explains that she’s at ease to leave because she’s confident their love will stay strong, and the temporary absence is necessary if she wants to hold her head high for their future. Sang-hyuk’s objection isn’t without reason, “there’s too much uncertainty in life. Missed out on fate once and it likely wouldn’t return. I know too well having seen what my father went through.” Kkot-nim believes that as long as their feelings for each other doesn’t change but he cuts her off, “it would be good if you don’t bring it up again.”

Sang-hyuk, fed-up with the extent of his grandmother’s interference, defies her objections to let Joon-hyuk attend rehabilitation lessons. There, he overhears Mi-ra accusing Kkot-nim of receiving preferential treatment because of her boyfriend’s connections and now he gets why she has decided to accept the overseas training. She explains that a year is not that hard to get by, he’s more angered at the thought that he’s never in the know about anything.

flowe_74_01.jpgflower_74_02.jpg

She stops him from confronting Grandma, as not wanting herself to be the reason for his conflict with his grandmother, “I don’t want you to be hurt again because of me. So just let me go. I’m not leaving you, I’m just leaving so that I can be with you. I’ll definitely come back to you, so don’t be too upset about it.”

Serious. I can feel Sang-hyuk’s emotional balance crashing. Grandma’s disapproval, Kkot-nim leaving, and Soon-ae supporting that Kkot-nim leaves. Telling him to let her go on reason that at least she receives that academic advancement, for what else can he do if his grandmother keeps up with her objections, “give up your family, or give up your love?”

It’s a three-way puncture leading him to break down before his grandmother. Growing up, she was his friend and his mother, how she consoled him after Joon-hyuk’s accident was the reason he’s still alive today, “you’re the reason I’m still living today. And having to hate such a grandmother is too hard on me…” Sang-hyuk begs, she cries, silently repeating her mantra of love, “everything I’m doing is for your sake. You may not understand me now, but eventually you will.”

Soon-ae seems to somewhat understand Grandma’s feelings now after being the bad mother who hurts someone else’s child because of her own daughter’s future. She confides in Jae-ho that she broke up her daughter and her boyfriend, and she can see what his mother did what she did then. After all, Jae-ho was a 20 year-old undergraduate with a future ahead. Jae-ho can’t be certain if he made the right decision then but he’s sure it wasn’t a wrong one, “there’s no definite answers in life. If my son were to follow my footsteps, I will understand his decision. We would have to journey through that path to know what lies ahead of us. We’re just making a choice. Be it a happy or unfortunate one, that’s the life we’ve chosen. And we accept it. The greatest misfortune is not having the free will to make a choice and living a life of regrets…like me.”

I cannot not like Chae-wan, but we know that already. If Chae-kyung has someone to love her, it seems unfair not to have someone to love Chae-wan. Maybe Hong-dan can date Joon-hyuk when he recovers for they seem to be on the same beat. Then everyone will be happy. He’s nice but I didn’t expect Chae-wan to have a heart as vast as the ocean – he does what he can to keep the lovers from separating. From a man’s perspective, Chae-wan disapproves of Kkot-nim leaving too. It’s not an easy decision to send one’s woman away, and one of marriageable relations for that matter, he tells her.

flower_74_03.jpgflower_74_05.jpg

He has seen his fair share of loving couples break up when one party leaves on an overseas study, “theoretically, it holds up that as long as there’s trust between two people (it doesn’t matter), technically, it’s so much tougher to accomplish that in reality.” He knows what is propelling her decision and understands what she’s wanting to overcome, “but if it were my girlfriend, I likely wouldn’t let her go too.”

Now, seeing Sang-hyuk troubled over the same matter, he encourages him to leave with her or else it may be an eternal separation, “if it were me, that’s what I will do. If I really don’t want to let go of her, I’ll never let her leave alone. I’m not sure if it’s the best solution but at least it’s a solution.”

I have only half a heart in when watching the recent episodes so I never properly reason why the viable solution is unlikely to happen. Joon-hyuk bawls when Sang-hyuk tests his reaction to the possibility of a temporary separation, like 20 nights? Imagine if he realizes his brother actually meant 365. Jae-ho caught that scene and over drinks later, he puts up that same solution to Sang-hyuk despite knowing of Joon-hyuk’s reliance on him, “there’s a lifetime to be with your family, miss out on your love and that’s it. Don’t live life in regrets.”

Having given his reassurance to the couple of his support, both separately and when together, Jae-ho puts promise into action when he realizes that Sang-hyuk still wouldn’t consider leaving with Kkot-nim because of his duty towards his brother. He hastens a regional business development plan, putting Sang-hyuk on the chair to oversee the project in Japan. This allows him to be with Kkot-nim while traveling back to visit Joon-hyuk.

Sang-hyuk is in two minds about accepting it, but he finally confides in Kkot-nim about the possibility of him joining her in Japan. Before that, he has given her approval for her to go but even so, she’s not the least excited about the thought of leaving him. She lights up on hearing of his outstation plan, even though she knows it’s unlikely he can go because of Joon-hyuk, and she doesn’t want him doing that either since Joon-hyuk needs him more than she does, “even so, I’m happy to know that there’s a 0.0001% chance of us leaving together.” It’s now a 100% reality. Together with Sang-hyuk, meeting his father over lunch, Kkot-nim learns it’s a firm decision that Sang-hyuk will be accepting the overseas posting.

flower_75_01.jpgflower_75_02.jpg

Jae-ho explains that much as he wants to have them wed, it’s also impossible to disregard the elders. Letting them leave and make a life together is because he doesn’t want them to part due to a helplessness about the situation. “It would be good if your life isn’t littered with regrets,” and Sang-hyuk promises that they will not disappoint him.

Kkot-nim is surprised about the extent Jae-ho would go to support their relationship. She never figures him for such an understanding man since Sang-hyuk was estranged with him. Sang-hyuk explains that’s because they never truly understood one another, and it’s because of Jae-ho’s own life regrets that he’s is unwilling to see his son go through the same sufferings.

Kkot-nim’s bliss takes a backseat when she later presses Mi-sook about Soon-ae’s boyfriend, and learns that Soon-ae is seeing her boyfriend from 30 years ago. Lest you misunderstands her unhappiness for jealousy or whatever, she was earlier sincerely happy to know that her mother is dating. The secret let loose when Jae-ho sends flowers and a new pair of shoes to the house. Now, she slips into a moment of sadness for her father, especially when Soon-ae tells her that Soo-chul is her benefactor, and the fact that Mi-sook mentioned Soon-ae never forgot her first love, it’s as if that means her stepmother never loved her father. Looking up at the sky, she consoles her late father as she consoles herself, “don’t be sad. I think she does love you. She doesn’t say it, but she did love you…she must have loved you.”

With Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim’s problem seemingly settled, Jae-ho and Soon-ae’s romance is raised to another level, hints at that huge revelation which is likely to see one of the four sacrifice for the good of the other pair of lovers. Saves Grandma one less task, and if it doesn’t happen that way, we can start celebrating.

flower_75_04.jpg

Knowing that Soon-ae has her reservations about letting her daughter know she’s dating since there isn’t much to say about their relationship status, Jae-ho decides to legitimize their relationship. Expressing his sincerity with a ring, he proposes to register their marriage even if they have to live apart.

“I’ve always regretted not being able to give you a ring. Even if you wouldn’t wear the clothes and shoes I bought you, I want you to always put on this ring.” He then tells her to reveal the truth to her daughter, it’s bad enough that he has to hide their relationship from his family, and he can’t see why she can’t be honest with it to her daughter, “tell her there’s someone you like, and that I would like to meet her.” All that said, he’s interrupted by a call from his mother who’s ordering him to meet her at Sang-hyuk’s apartment that instant.

flower_75_03.jpg
It’s to her horror on discovering what Jae-ho and the two young people are plotting behind her back. In tears, she rebukes Sang-hyuk for hurting her, “you said you didn’t want to hate me, I don’t want to hate you too! You’re the oldest son of the family, where do you think you’re going? You’re abandoning your grandmother and your brother? If you leave, it’s likely the next you see me, it will be at my funeral! Would that be fine with you?” Told by Sang-hyuk to come and have lunch with him, the pity scene is witnessed by Kkot-nim when she drops by at the apartment…

Credit to: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/my-daughter-flower-summary-e73-e75/

Thank you @Yeekrfan2
MDTF EP67
Jae Ho & Soon Ae, just before the reunion as the parents at a formal meeting for KKotnim & Sang Hyuk

JSkyycP.jpg

KhIxrTO.jpgWoMUJhm.jpg
C4IjKVH.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120218091227719

Sang Hyuk hesitating after KKotnim’s confession about marriage, says ‘give me time.”

uNdjHg5.jpg

4sdfYXL.jpg
HsRSPy4.jpg
HsRSPy4.jpg
uN8EzXd.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120217210709031

KKotnim decides for the language training & Kang Hyuk feels disappointed & “I know how it feels like.”

Jgqbfh6.jpg

omHrCUg.jpgQ3WAqRX.jpg
4qWOj3A.jpg
FqcZP2G.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120218092306188

no pictures for EP68
MDTF EP69
KKotnim instead defends Sang Hyuk when he gets scolded for the early morning return

MeGiS62.jpg

5qbGO5O.jpg
TEirrwQ.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120221193314571

Grandma gets a surprise after checking the name of KKotnim’s mom

ipl7A9j.jpg

AKqyOHi.jpg
BXvv0EO.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120221213709522

Sang Hyuk decides to get married with Kkotnim, “I want to see the bride to be.”
vdZRhr4.jpg
U80jAoi.jpg
http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120221194910833

MDTF EP71
Sang Hyuk to Kkotnim, “Why disappoint repeatedly,” abruptly

pvDVSCs.jpg
lieGrPo.jpg
KctkHsg.jpg
we0Rgws.jpg
http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120223194618098

Jae Ho to Grandma, “Repeating again like 30 years ago,” angrily

Tr8s9eC.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120223195609252

Kkotnim’s serious drunken confession, “I love you Sang Hyukssi.”

UWn5Nb2.jpg
qwARzlx.jpg

X4ODWmk.jpg
PYB7lgq.jpg
6W99G0w.jpg
aBDNcaS.jpg
M5ayoCT.jpg
yGs8PuQ.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/newsview?newsid=20120223202113706

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 76 – 77 March 7, 2012

flower_77_07.jpg

I was cranky by when I finished these two episodes. Grandma and Soon-ae together is potion for a splitting headache. I was even close to hating Soon-ae, even though I can guess what her objections will lead to for plot developments: an up-sized guilt, for first losing her son and then handing out spades of heartaches to her son. I didn’t even like Kkot-nim going to the house, got thrown out without even saying something substantial, lost a shoe, sat in the shivering cold, pressed the buzzer again, got splashed by cold water. That’s old and that’s action crafted for Soon-ae’s times. Now, you cart yourself and your man to the marriage registration counter and then have a baby, that is making your stand about your love. My head thumped, I questioned my alter-ego about why am I watching a daily. Why?

Alter-ego: Choi Jin-hyuk. Right.

The warning of an early demise coming from the mouth of an elderly is more sin than a threat. Kkot-nim is worn out, sobs her grievances about the unfair treatment just because she’s lacking in social standards, “I want to love earnestly just like I live life in earnest. Don’t I have the right to love or be loved?” She worries Hong-dan who thinks it’s only right to tell Soon-ae, and Soon-ae blames Sang-hyuk for what her daughter is going through, appalled when she learns of their plans to make a life together in Japan. Sang-hyuk reassures her concerns, pledges his responsibility towards Kkot-nim but the consequences of the couple building a life in secret in spite of family disapproval is harsh reminder of her own past. She tells Sang-hyuk that she knows too well how a woman’s life is upset when she takes a wrong step in life, “you can’t even imagine how much pain a woman has to bear behind the man’s back. Let her go alone.”

I’m not dedicating full attention to this story so I’m watching with less the rational and emotional analysis that would been my usual inclination. I don’t know what I think Soon-ae should say, only that I don’t like what she’s saying. I can go on and on to tell you why but I think it’s obvious. So, we skip. The women characters aren’t exceptional, most times they bore me but the men, they satisfy me to no end.

flower_76_05.jpg

Sang-hyuk and Chae-wan together always perch me on a slight anxiety, even though it’s more of at ease than uneasy. Chae-wan is a gentleman through and through but his affections for Kkot-nim can be a testing of his patience towards Sang-hyuk.

For once in so long a time, Kkot-nim’s teary grievances edged him towards the nasty and he’s being less tolerant of Sang-hyuk’s circumstances to their marriage matters. He’s sarcastic and that puzzled Sang-hyuk who for the first time was sincerely grateful for his suggestion to leave with Kkot-nim. The friendly rivalry between the two men will always be a question until the story sets Chae-wan up with a love line. Or even if not, just don’t take him and Kkot-nim on the road of folly to act something out so to free Sang-hyuk from the burden of choice. Chae-wan has a lot more sense than that, so let him keep it.

Kyung-min hyung makes me cough dry laughter. I still can’t put a finger on why I like him. A good whole of it, I think lies in how he keeps Chae-kyung under his thumb even without needing to try. I even dared a guess in hope that he knows Chae-kyung’s unspeakable history. If he does, it lets us in on an idea of how much he weighs to Chae-kyung.

flower_77_08.jpgflower_76_06.jpg

When he’s notified by Human Resource that Chae-kyung put in an application to work at an overseas office, he picks it up that she has a thing for Sang-hyuk, since having seen how she was upset that he never told her he’s off to Japan. But he’s cool about it and tells her that he can’t let her go too, with one already away, “who else is going to do the work?”

She didn’t even dare shoot him a glare in her usual uppity attitude although she did on a forced bravado, answers that the company will have to look into a substitute. I like that he doesn’t act nonchalant about his feelings for her, he acts a matter-of-fact about it. He buys her coffee, and under a lie that he was running an errand for her brother. I didn’t even doubt him until Chae-wan clarifies that he did no such thing which was what got Chae-kyung jumping in frustration. And I go, “Oh I see…” I did guess he still loves her but this made it…true.

On a note, the story has so far done good work with Chae-kyung. There’s an all-rounded humanity to her, a move away from the stereotyped drama witch, which I feel is prepping us for acceptance of her mistakes when her history spills. I can see that the writing while not perfect is taking pains to smooth over the bumps, as such, I often feel a sense of trepidation that something along somewhere is going to mess up. So, don’t mess up.

As for Jae-ho? I wish Soon-ae has half his enlightened take about their children’s love life. If you did not learn anything from 30 years of misery, it says a lot about how you’re living life and your introspective about Life. Let’s say this: I don’t mean to spoil Jae-ho’s moral upbringing, or mine, when I applauded his guts to smack his mother’s abuse of authority. He said what needed to be said even if it’s a God-forbidding implication when you skew the interpretation some, and it sounds almost like a dare for his mother to die off than just making threats about it.

His mother is now reprimanding his lack of sense for sending his hot-blooded son off with Kkot-nim – what if they get into trouble? Been there and done that, halmoni, but since when is sexual intimacy restricted to being in or out of town? This is why you can’t think too deep about daily drama writing, they are structured on card-boards. Anyway, Jae-ho tells her if that should happen, it can’t be helped either. She’s horrified of what he’s advocating even after she talked about her funeral? He reminds his mother that she wanted to die 30 years ago too, “you refused to eat or sleep and was admitted to the hospital. I surrendered.” And I was almost hoping he would add, “but you’re still breathing, aren’t you?” But that would have Confucius raised from his grave and we can’t have that happen.

flower_76_03.jpgflower_76_04.jpgSince lunch was thwarted by his ailing grandmother, Sang-hyuk comes and half-forced Kkot-nim to take lunch with him. He’s sorry that she had to overhear the earlier conversation, promises that both he and his father will settle matters with his grandmother.

He just doesn’t want her crying behind his back again. Things will just get tougher for them and he needs her to hold it together or else she will be worn out, “and if you’re worn out, it will only be harder on me. You’re the strength that is helping me get through this, get it?”

She gets it and she doesn’t want him shouldering it alone that’s why she ventured into the lioness’s den, she told him later, after she was unceremoniously chased out without as much as uttered her reasons. The scene had Joon-hyuk all shaken up, and trying to go after his sobbing noona, he was locked in by his grandmother. That’s when he made the SOS call to his father, relating the earlier scene and that had Jae-ho and Sang-hyuk rushed home, horrendously greeted by their kind elderly dumping water on Kkot-nim.

For the sake of her offsprings, Grandma can do worse than that, she tells Jae-ho. And when did he become this concerned for Sang-hyuk? “When you were hurting him, I was there raising and protecting him. If there’s anyone who loves him more than I do, I dare him to come forward!” Jae-ho argues if she really loves Sang-hyuk, then she should allow him the freedom of his will, “I don’t know what is it you dislike about the girl! Why do you hate her so?” For one, she gets herself drunk and sleeps on her boyfriend’s bed even when there’s no promise of marriage between them, “she’s cheap and I don’t like it!” Also, she has no roots, no proper education, but she stops short of specifically calling her a richard simmons.

Sang-hyuk steps into the room at timely moment, so properly seasoned by his grandmother’s scorn that he’s no longer shocked by what she’s spewing. He’s totally angered, “if we are to talk roots, isn’t it the same with me? At least Kkot-nim knows her parents. I don’t even know who gave birth to me! Aren’t I cheap too?” He tearfully tells his grandmother to stop making life difficult for Kkot-nim, “at least when it comes to the issue of parents, she has an advantage over me.”

flower_77_01.jpg
At last, Part One of The Secret is out.

His folks stumble over the revelation, “just what are you saying?” Choking back tears, Sang-hyuk tells them he knows and they can cut the act. It’s going to get emotional but not until he says his piece.

He can’t see the worth of some damn background that has his grandmother humiliating and disregarding Kkot-nim. He’s nothing compared to her yet he’s respected and living a good life, “she has received more love than I did and she lives life earnestly. There’s no reason that she should be disregarded. Will you be happy if I’m put down and disregarded for being rootless?” Grandma is struck down by the blow, and when she recovers shortly, she hangs on to the bluff that Sang-hyuk is their flesh and blood, her grandson and the eldest of the family, “I don’t know where you heard that but you must have heard wrong.”

It turns out he heard it right out of her mouth when she had a conversation with his late foster mother, as he reveals to Jae-ho. Believing that as long as he remains ignorant, only then can the elders live in ease, he swore to himself never to reveal what he knows, “I didn’t expect it to come out because of Kkot-nim. I’m sorry.” Jae-ho is aching over the fact that he bore the pain for so many years which was since middle school – didn’t it matter to him that his heart is in hell while he eases theirs? “Whether both of you knows, my heart will still be stuck in hell.”

He came close to breaking the silence when he underwent a surgery during high school. Worried that he wouldn’t survive, he wanted to know about his birth parents. But then he thought if they were found and if he died, the news would shatter their hearts. He figured that if he’s well, they might come for him one day, “I waited and I’m now 30. Still, nothing.”

flower_77_03.jpgOther than after Joon-hyuk’s accident when it was too tough to get going, Sang-hyuk assures him that it doesn’t matter to him now. Before his father can utter another word, he excuses himself to hurry off as he left Kkot-nim resting before he left.

Spilling the truth is about timing, miss it and the lies become more than betrayal. It morphs into a feeling of stupidity. Either way, Grandma is very dead, she should have enough sense not to shove the two men deeper into the pathetic hole of regrets and just own up. Imagine when Jae-ho later discovers the truth about the Mom-orchestrated tragedy and then recalls how he was tearing his heart out over instinctively treating Sang-hyuk shabbily even when strangely, he never regarded him as lesser than his own.

It’s a weight on his heart because Sang-hyuk knows why he was blamed for Joon-hyuk’s misfortune, and not knowing that Sang-hyuk’s reticence branched from a feeling of inferiority, Jae-ho assumed that as a show of rebellion from an unfilial son, “he grew up assuming he wasn’t loved. That’s why he became lonelier and deeply hurt. And I never knew that! This is a foolish mistake. What can I do to make amends?” Jae-ho cries to his mother. Wanna bet he’s soon going to feel worse than a fool? Guilt is all over her face, still, she’s so not budging about letting Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim be. But you have to give it to her for telling him, “I told you so” for mistreating his son. Well, I told you so too.

Choking over the episode, Jae-ho finally tells Soon-ae about his adopted son. How he came to them, how he never opened his heart to accept him or his wife, and of the regrets and pain he left to them because of his indifference. Soon-ae listens with tears welling too as she thinks of her lost son. Hanging on a bittersweet smile, she points it down to fate. They lost their own child, and they both have to bear the duty of raising someone else’s, “we’ll just have to carry on shouldering this duty for losing our child.”

Kkot-nim is certain something happened while she was asleep. Sang-hyuk spares her the details, only telling her that things are going to be okay from now and his grandmother will not ill-treat her further. He needs her to trust him, and while they are at that, he has to put in efforts to reassure her mother. That would have to be more than just efforts because her mother is insistent on the couple taking a break from each other.

She wants Kkot-nim to live for herself, not live around Sang-hyuk, tearing out tears and guts for him, “that isn’t love.” She advises her to leave alone as she doesn’t want her precious daughter to be despised by others, “you have to come first for there to be love. Only if you live with confidence, can your love be open and aboveboard. It didn’t happen for me as I’ve no one to protect me then. But you’ve me.” Not that she doesn’t understand but to Kkot-nim, Sang-hyuk matters more than herself. “I can smile only when he laughs. If he’s sad, I tear before he does. Only if he’s happy, can I be happy. I know it’s foolish but I’m helpless against it.”

flower_77_05.jpgflower_77_04.jpgHer sacrifice for love is going to be more than that. The medical association got wind that the selection process was interfered with and now Kkot-nim’s overseas training just went down the drain. Suffice to say, gossips emerge and with the severity of the matter implicating the hospital, Kkot-nim contemplates resignation.

Grandma’s tangled web of lies and the extent of its reach. Amazing. That’s where we get to Part Two of The Secret.

Jae-ho’s wife knew the truth about Sang-hyuk because her mother-in-law half-coerced-half-persuaded her to adopt the boy citing reasons that if Jae-ho knew Soon-ae is raising their son, he would have reason to divorce her. For a character who we never got to know, I feel more sympathy for her than Soon-ae. She’s a good woman as attests by Sang-hyuk. She loved him. Grandma cooked up a story on her behalf: Sang-hyuk’s parents were engaged to be married but his father died in an accident. His mother, cousin to Jae-ho’s wife gave him up to her care and left for who knows where. And she never came for him. End of story.

Not quite the end of the story. The diameter of the web just got longer. Overwhelmed by what he learned from his father, the parent and child bond knocks on that seemingly dormant door of Sang-hyuk’s heart. He’s moved to want to be a better parent, as he tells Kkot-nim that they have to raise their child well, “we’ve to live a longer life so that we needn’t entrust our child to someone else.” Kkot-nim can’t pick out head or tail of what he’s saying but she soon does when he wells up in tears, questioning how his mother never came looking for him, “even if only once, she should have searched…the child she abandoned…if he’s dead or alive. She should have searched…” Kkot-nim consoles him that his mother must have searched for him, “maybe she didn’t want to affect your happy life, and so she turned away without a word.”

Not good enough because some drinks later, a tipsy Sang-hyuk appears at his family home and lands the bomb: he’s going to search for his mother…

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/my-daughter-flower-episode-76-77/

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 78 March 9, 2012

flower_78_01.jpg

It’s a teary affair for Sang-hyuk with the elders objecting to his search for his mother. Grandma’s response is expected, I guess he would have to climb over her funeral casket if he were to insist. But at least she isn’t hanging out the death talk again.

She firmly says no and explains why, “she gave birth to you then ditched you. If she have thoughts of coming back for you, she would not have done this to begin with.” Not that they have an idea where she is, but even if she’s found, things might just become more unfortunate for both of them and what would he proposed to do then? “For my sake, your father, Joon-hyuk, and your late mother, forget those useless thoughts. The moment you entered our home, we’re bonded by the same bloodline. Have we ever treated you as a stranger?” Jae-ho is in objection too although he admits that he’s fueled by selfishness, it would be good if he can forget the past. “No matter who gave birth to you, you’re always my son. You’ve lived your life as my son, continue living it that way. That’s what is important isn’t it?”

Before he leaves, Jae-ho advises him not to obstruct his path with the past, he should think about how to make a happy life, “at the very least, you’ve to think for the person you love. If you are still insisting on the search in the future, then we’ll try to work something out.”

flower_78_02.jpgflower_78_03.jpg

At Sang-hyuk’s call, Kkot-nim meets him outside her house. There’s a whiff of alcohol in his breath, she wonders if he’s troubled that’s why he drank. He tells her that it’s nothing, he’s here because he didn’t want to be alone. She’s happy he came because she was about to call him too.

Out of the blue, he tells her that he envies her, for at least she knows her birth parents. Wiping away a tear, he adds, “I guess it’s only right that I should place importance on the people who raised me for 30 years. Why should I be thinking about the one who abandoned me? I can’t hurt their feelings…”

Kkot-nim is increasingly worried that something is wrong, he doesn’t say what but reaches out to take her hand, “no matter what happens, you can’t leave me.” She nods in promise and he tells her that’s good enough for him, “I need only you.” Holding his hand, she feels him burning up, asks if he’s unwell but he brushes it off, “I’ve taken a look at you. That’s good. Go rest,” he makes a quick departure before he fully crumbles before her.

Worried that Sang-hyuk might be unwell since he was running a slight fever when he left, Kkot-nim drops by his apartment at dawn. Indeed, his fever is full blown and he’s battling a hangover after finishing a bottle of liquor in the middle of the night. Worried, she chides him for not calling her when he’s sick, “how can you be left alone when you’re ill?”

He figures that if he dies from it, his mother would have to come to his funeral, right? He wonders about his birth father, the kind of man he was, his name, what he did (for a living), “that much I have to know, isn’t it? And the person who abandoned me, I’ve to know that too, right? She abandoned me. Isn’t she the least curious if I’m dead or alive?” He’s somewhat angry now even amid his sadness, “so don’t tell me to just bear with it. Don’t tell me to bear with it like I always do. You have no idea how much pain I’m going through…” And Kkot-nim can only console him with a hug.

flower_78_08.jpgflower_78_09.jpg

When Jae-ho calls, he’s surprised that Kkot-nim is picking up Sang-hyuk’s call at this early hour. She asks for him to come by the apartment as Sang-hyuk is sick. There, Kkot-nim reveals that Sang-hyuk is suffering “from an illness of the heart.” She’s troubled over if she should be saying this but seeing Sang-hyuk in so much pain over it, she feels she must. He’s wanting to search for his birth parents but he can’t insist on it for fear of hurting his father and grandmother, “so please help him. I can’t bear to see him hurting over it.”

Confiding in Soon-ae, Jae-ho reveals that he was distant with his own father who passed on early before he met Soon-ae. He was stern and a man of few words, with them hardly communicating, especially so during the later years when his business was in trouble. He now sees himself in his father, “I was never concerned about Sang-hyuk, and now when I want to, I’m not sure what I can for him.” He regrets that the bonding time between father and son has passed, “he doesn’t need me now. I know such a time will eventually arrive but still, I bear regrets.” This is why he’s firm with his decision, “this cannot drag on any longer. I want to let them marry.” When he’s done with his son’s wedding, he wants to put through his and Soon-ae’s marriage registration, “so arrange a time for me to meet your daughter.”

Due to the controversy, the medical association is suspending the overseas training for the year. Mi-ra pounces on Kkot-nim for causing the inconvenience that robbed her of her opportunity, “if you’ve such a backer for a boyfriend, why are you still working here?” Sick of the hostility, Kkot-nim reveals that she has tendered her resignation but Mi-ra isn’t backing down, “can you be trusted? I bet that resignation is fake too!”. Chae-wan who learned from his mother about the circulating gossips, pops in and is irritated by Mi-ra’s disrespectful attitude that he ticks her off. Having a crush for him, this embarrasses Mi-ra and she arrows the blame at Kkot-nim. Frustration on the double, Kkot-nim vents it on Chae-wan for sticking his nose into her affairs.

A combo of heartache and frustration send him hitting out at Sang-hyuk when he runs into him at the hospital’s entrance, “this is all you’ve got? She tendered her resignation because of you. Do you know her overseas training is canceled too?”

flower_78_04.jpgflower_78_05.jpg

It’s news to Sang-hyuk and he hangs his head in helplessness, Chae-wan continues his rant, “all that talk about protecting her but you keep making her cry! And she lost her job too!” That got Sang-hyuk’s pride, he repeats his earlier reminder for him not to interfere in their affairs, Chae-wan tells him, “then you have to work at cooperating with me! Why do you keep letting me see her being hurt?”

Kkot-nim lights up at Sang-hyuk’s presence. She asks if he’s feeling better, he tells her that he is, “thanks to the porridge someone made for me.” Seeing her sticking post-its on the lesson materials, his curious what she’s doing that for? “So it will be easier for the others to locate it…when I’m not around…” but she muttered that last sentence under her breath and so he pretends not to notice.

She tells him that she will be done soon and they can eat together, “I’ll nourish you further,” she smiles, nothing like she’s going through a rough patch. His heart goes out to her for what she’s going through because of him and he hugs her to comfort her. “Someone is going to see that. What’s up with you?” she smiles at his open show of affections. “It’s because I feel sorry towards you. Extremely sorry,” his sadness hidden from her view.

She brings him home to feed him her mother’s deonjang jjigae although he had suggested that he brings her out for something good. “You said you like it, didn’t you? When you’re sick, you’ve to eat something you like.” He sighs that he never did anything for her whereas she has done everything for him. She answers, “you’ve done a lot for me. So don’t worry about that.” Soon-ae returns then and is surprisingly okay with Sang-hyuk’s presence although she chides him (for ignoring her advice), he quickly reassures her that he will not let Kkot-nim be hurt again.

The retribution that Grandma has been mumbling about is falling over her like an avalanche. At Jae-ho’s office, she discovers the marriage application, and his phone logs confirm that he is still seeing Soon-ae. After stumbling home, she receives the call to notify her that Kkot-nim’s overseas training is canceled. Before she can digest that, Jae-ho returns to tell her that he’s letting the couple marry and no objections of hers will interfere with his decision.

flower_78_06.jpg

“I’m not asking for your approval, I’m notifying you of it lest you go into shock. No matter how we try we can never fill the emptiness in Sang-hyuk’s heart. Only the girl can do that. Have you ever seen him being this happy? We are the ones who had cast the gloom over him. As his father, this is my duty to him. Only his happiness matters to me.”

His mother repeats that he will live to regret his decision, “do you think I’m objecting because I’m stubborn?” but Jae-ho tells her that he will never be taken in by her warnings again. Alone, she mutters that she has done her best to prevent tragedy from happening, and they will have to bear the regrets from here on at which they will eventually understand her (good) intentions, “there’s nothing I can do anymore.”

Jae-ho thanks Kkot-nim for tending to Sang-hyuk when he was ill, “and thanks to you, I now know what I should do for him.” He announces that he will search for Sang-hyuk’s mother on his behalf. He was reluctant because of a worry that he will be hurt by the outcome, “but I didn’t realize it stems from my selfishness. It will take a while so be patient.” Next, he tells them to marry, adds that Grandma has given her approval and Sang-hyuk should arrange for him to meet Kkot-nim’s mother.

Kkot-nim is in disbelief, Jae-ho smiles as he apologizes for what they have put her through, “so forget all that and look forward to living a happy life with Sang-hyuk.” Too early for a happy ever after, for Jae-ho arrives at the venue to meet with Kkot-nim’s mother, shocked to realize that she’s Soon-ae…

flower_78_07.jpg
Outside kdramas, this is a situation that can be easily resolved. Yes?

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/my-daughter-flower-episode-78/

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 79 March 13, 2012

flower_79_03.jpg

The best thing in this episode other than seeing Kkot-nim in bridal finery is that it didn’t take long for Jae-ho to factor in his mother’s role in this dramatic turn of crossed destinies. I believe she’s genuine with her tears but I also can’t help feeling that it’s a situation of burning the pot and washing her hands off it.

Confronted, his mother has the perfect defence to every of his accusations. It was a do-or-die attempt to break things up among the four of them just so her offspring wouldn’t be hurt but it was they who insisted on disobeying her. Not mentioning it beforehand is because she doesn’t want them going through hell. She would rather take the blame and end things herself than put them through it. Still, Jae-ho can’t understand how she could have let this happen. The children and Soon-ae sitting there, oblivious to the facts, what is he to do now? His mother cries, “I don’t know. I don’t know a thing. I don’t wish for this to happen either. More than anyone, I wanted to stop this. That’s why you should have obeyed me when I tried to stop you. You disobeyed me, refusing to give up that woman. What is this now? You don’t know how much this pains me. I don’t know anymore, just do as you pleases from now.”

It’s as if Jae-ho suddenly went missing, Soon-ae is worried when he’s not picking up his calls but we know it’s because he can’t. She’s back to work after turning down Sang-hyuk’s suggestion to go on a date with them when the meeting with his father has to be postponed because he’s called away to something urgent at work. She had her concerns that his grandmother hasn’t given her approval since she’s absent at the meeting too but Sang-hyuk dismisses her worry. He met his grandmother this morning and she’s unwell which explains her absence. Mi-sook isn’t feeling good about this canceled meeting – in that foreboding sense although she can’t really put a finger on why it is so.

flower_79_04.jpg

It certainly wouldn’t occur the least to the young couple that something is odd, even with all the perfectly-timed missed meetings. They are just happy that the situation is resolved to the satisfaction of everyone. Sang-hyuk wants to get married on the double, like the following month but he knows that it’s hasty if to take in the details of the wedding preparations so he will settle for May. When Kkot-nim asks about the urgency, he tells her that since she’s resigning, he figures he should marry her as soon as possible.

She’s surprised he knows, he tells her, “I’ve been waiting to see when you’ll tell me about it.” She has been inquiring at other hospitals and she wants it to be decided before she tells him, “you aren’t hurt that I didn’t say anything, right?” He’s more sorry than hurt, “after we’re married, I’ll make it up to you several times for what I’ve put you through.” Kkot-nim is delighted, “that means I can put you to slave labor?” Yes, she can. Teasing aside, she tells him that she wasn’t worn down by him but by their situation, “so I never blamed anyone.” He takes her hand, warmed by her understanding, she continues, “since we went through a lot to be married. Once we’re married, let’s treat your grandmother, your father, Joon-hyuk, and my mother well.”

flower_79_06.jpg

Passing by a bridal shop after getting Grandma a thank-you gift for allowing them to marry, Sang-hyuk insists that she tries on the wedding dresses although Kkot-nim had thought to just browse around. Pretty.

He thinks so too but awe-struck to say much when she asks if she’s pretty, “I’m not?” she figures at his silence. He finally answers that he’s trying to be sure that she’s indeed who she is, “because my Yang Kkot-nim isn’t this pretty.” He continues to tease that it’s true the clothes maketh the Man. And a playful argument ensues. She stands up for her own beauty, chides that he doesn’t know his place, “can’t you just give me a praise or two that I’m pretty?” He chides her in return for still not understanding him, “you know I can’t say the mushy stuff.” She beams, “so that means I’m really, really pretty. Is that it?” He laughs at her zero attempts to be humble.

Outside this area of bliss stands Chae-kyung and her mother, they are here because Young-ae is friends with the owner of the bridal shop who happens to be out. (Perfect timing irritates the life out of me.) Jealous hurt has her storm out and blaming her mother for insisting she comes along, she heads to her brother’s cafe, that frustration on the double when Chae-wan tells her that Kyung-min is here. She vents, “I’m sick as it is to see him on weekdays, do I have to see him on my rest day too?”

flower_79_05.jpg

Her disrespect for her superior adds to Chae-wan’s curiosity about their relationship. It was Hong-dan who casually mentioned that she heard the two people speak banmal and ever since, Chae-wan has been suspicious about their relationship.

Earlier on, he tried sounding out Kyung-min’s impression of Chae-kyung. He’s thinking they would be good for each other, “I would be at ease if Chae-kyung dates someone like you.” Kyung-min evaded the hint by joking that he’s acting like a big brother now considering how he was unconcerned about people in the past.

Back at Sang-hyuk’s apartment, Kkot-nim calls Soon-ae about Sang-hyuk’s plans to marry in May. Soon-ae thinks it’s a rush with the wedding preparations to see to, moreover, he has to discuss the matter with his family before making the decision. Off the phone, she tells him that but he doesn’t see what there is to prepare, “you just need to bring yourself over.” Still, it can’t work that way. She notices that he’s smiling at their wedding picture, asks if he’s that happy about it. She takes it out of his hands, says that she will be holding on to it. He protests, she argues that it’s always the woman who keeps these things. He fishes it out of her hands, “is there a ruling that the man can’t keep it?” She reaches out to take it back but he jumps away, dangling it away from her reach.

flower_79_09.jpgflower_79_07.jpg

She makes a mad grab, a short tussle later, it’s torn in half. He mutters that for a woman she sure has some strength, she sulks that it’s ruined. He tapes it back to make it whole again, I muttered something under my breath.

For Sang-hyuk’s sake, for his happiness, Jae-ho can’t divulge the truth. For Sang-hyuk’s sake, he should, his mother tells him, “they shouldn’t have met. It’s because they aren’t destined for each other that’s why so many of us are hurt. End this before he’s further hurt. Or do you want to see them in pain because of how they hurt their parents? This is what’s really good for Sang-hyuk!”

She expresses empathy to what he’s going through, Jae-ho doesn’t need that crap, “are you sure you understand? It took me 30 years to meet her again. I’ve not properly held on to her hands and I’ve to let her go again! Can you really understand (how I feel)?” He crumbles, torn by the dilemma: he can’t shut Sang-hyuk’s newly-opened heart nor can he turn away that one pitiful woman who lived her life for him…

Sending Kkot-nim to her doorstep, Sang-hyuk asks to drop in to see Soon-ae as she must be sad (about the canceled meeting) and he wants to cheer her up. Out to meet Jae-ho, Soon-ae isn’t around but Sang-hyuk makes himself comfy while he waits for her return, telling Kkot-nim that he can be at ease in her house since mother-in-laws love their son-in-laws. Kkot-nim comments that he’s getting shameless by the day of how he rolls jangmo-nim (mother-in-law) off his tongue. So cute, let’s see how long this round of calm will last, for several drinks and a flood of tears later, Jae-ho has decided what he should do.

Soon-ae, unable to reach him for the day, finally understands what he means to her. She feared her daughter would see her ring which is why she kept it but she wouldn’t do that now, even suggesting that Jae-ho meets with her daughter the next day. They should register their marriage too, “so what if we’re only married on paper?” At the cruel hand of Fate, Jae-ho slumps in his seat. Reaching out for Soon-ae’s hand, he tearfully apologizes, “I can’t keep my promise to you. I thought I wouldn’t have to hurt you again…I’m sorry.”

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/my-daughter-flower-episode-79/

• 5 weeks later...

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 80 – 81

Posted on March 14, 2012Categories Korean Dramas

flower_81_06.jpg

There’s not much going on with #80 except for Jae-ho contemplating his mother’s advice to end things for Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim. He almost spoke to Sang-hyuk about it but at timely moment, he was called away to a meeting. It’s that quick moment of weakness seducing you to go over the other side, so before you get your hackles up over it, I think it’s only fair to remember that he’s Man. He has a right to want a life and 30 years of emotional bumps and humps is a weary length of time to unwaveringly hold on an optimism that, yes, we can overcome anything. But when self-interest is up against genuine affections for your loved ones, it’s unlikely we will sin against our conscience.

He never got to tell Soon-ae the truth because she likely put his weird talk down to his intoxication roughing up his guilt about their past. She consoled, saying he has nothing to be sorry about, for she has received a greater love from him, “it doesn’t matter if you can’t keep your promises, it’s good enough to have you by my side.” The problem now is that he can’t even keep her by his side but she doesn’t know that yet. In the end, nothing is resolved with Jae-ho returning home in a drunkard slump while Soon-ae finally admits to Kkot-nim that she’s seeing someone after Kkot-nim notices the ring on her finger and sounds her out. On Kkot-nim’s enthusiasm to meet him, Soon-ae agrees to make the arrangement.

flower_80_13.jpg
Talking in bed, Kkot-nim voices her worry about meeting Grandma the next day given their past unhappiness but she wants to meet her to say her thanks for approving the marriage. Soon-ae advises her to let go of the past and treat her warmly. It’s unexpected that Sang-hyuk’s grandmother would eventually give way, “as some never would,” she says out of experience. Kkot-nim asks if (disapproval from elders) was the reason she never married her first love? Then, she expresses curiosity about what she likes about him, coaxes her to just say one thing about it. Soon-ae in turn asks what she sees about that one thing in Sang-hyuk? Well, she shouldn’t have asked.

Dreamy, Kkot-nim figures it’s his eyes? “His nose, his lips. Also his voice, his arms, his legs. His back, his shoulders, how he gazes at me. I like all that. I guess I can’t just point out one. I even like his fingers and joints.” That’s idolization taken to an extreme. Her mother thinks so too, “make it from head to toe then,” Soon-ae chides her teasingly, appalled at her unabashed infatuation.

Kkot-nim drops in for that visit but Grandma is ill. So now she and Sang-hyuk are making her porridge. From a distance, watching them going about their chores happily, teasing one another (he calls her a bungling chef), Grandma agrees to herself that Kkot-nim is The One for Sang-hyuk, “if only they aren’t ill-fated…” she regrets.

flower_80_11.jpgflower_80_12.jpgWhile unable to see how this would come to a happy end, still, it seems she has lost the strength to fight it. She isn’t saying much but at least she is taking the food that Kkot-nim made as well as the gift she got her.

Soon to wed, Kkot-nim misses her father even more, she tells Sang-hyuk that apart from not having many relatives to attend the wedding, she has no one to walk her down the aisle. No worry, he comforts her with a cuddle, saying it’s the recent trend for the bridal couple to walk down the aisle together.

Now, it’s his turn to look forlorn, he sighs when she brings up the subject of his mother, “I remember reading that a woman thinks of her mother on her wedding and at childbirth, who does the man think of?” She suggests they try finding her even though he has his reservations – as his father said, it might bring in more pain. “So, you’re afraid of that happening?” Even so, Kkot-nim is grateful to his mother for bringing him into this world. She encourages him to try looking for her, “whether she’s accepting of you doesn’t matter. At least she should know that her son is all grown-up and getting married.”

Chae-kyung is still bristling about the scene at the bridal shop and that’s how Chae-wan learns that the couple is to wed soon. His heart sinks but because he’s The Gentleman, he surprises them with a huge cake and red wine for their private celebration party but it’s now a public one because Hong-dan wants a bite of that cake. He’s smiling at seeing Kkot-nim’s joy, Sang-hyuk promises that he will have her smiling a lot in the future.

flower_80_07.jpgflower_80_09.jpgMeanwhile, needing time alone but with nowhere to go, Chae-kyung finds refuge at the office, not expecting to see that Kyung-min is working late. He wonders if she’s here at this late hour because she’s hoping to meet someone? Taking pity on her unrequited love, he offers to be her drinking partner. She glares at him as she jumps up from her seat, “I would have to be crazy (to do that)!”

I don’t know if he followed after her or he happens to want to drop in at the cafe too, but they both appear at the entrance. Chae-kyung instantly turns to leave, and as Kyung-min is deciding if he should go after her, Sang-hyuk notices him and he’s invited to join them.

Exiting from the cafe, Kyung-min meets Jae-ho and extends his congratulations to him on Sang-hyuk’s forthcoming wedding – the bridal couple is beaming with happiness that it’s having him envious. It’s likely Jae-ho feels there’s no turning back as the wedding is now public knowledge, or simply because knowing that the couple is happy, reminds him of how much he would be hurting them if the wedding is called off. For he finally comes to see Soon-ae after avoiding her as long as he can, as if wanting to come clean about what’s going on.

The obvious shift in Jae-ho’s attitude is playing guessing games with Soon-ae. Worried about his hangover, she made him a ginseng drink and took pains to dress up (on Mi-sook and Kkot-nim’s insistence) when she made a trip to his company. Just that he can’t see her, “not even for a while?” she asked with disappointment. Now, she can’t help voicing a grievance about it. The way he has been answering his calls, how he was speaking to her feels enough like a brush-off to ruffle her patience. She tells him that it’s as if he’s hiding from her. She’s almost afraid of what his recent actions really mean, tells him to speak up about what’s wrong, “do you know you’re making me uneasy when you act like this?”

flower_80_03.jpgflower_81_01.jpgShe’s startled when he suddenly hugs her and in an almost crying voice, repeatedly asks, “what should I do about this?” The complex situation in drama-land can be quickly resolved if they are determined to do so because just when you’re worried how long more this section of the drama is going to drag out, Jae-ho and Soon-ae are stunned to hear their children calling out to them. Confusion, like everyone is in the know yet too dramatic to be true.

Everyone is shocked except for Jae-ho who can’t bring himself to confirm Sang-hyuk’s speculation. But that’s as good as admission by silence. Kkot-nim breaks free from Sang-hyuk’s clutch, runs off in denial. She’s even angry, tells her mother that she refuses to accept that Jae-ho is the man she has been pining for all these years. It simply can’t be Sang-hyuk’s father, surely, it has to be someone else?

Sang-hyuk is calmer but in a blank. Assuring him (that it wouldn’t affect his relationship), Jae-ho tells him that no father will destroy his son’s happiness. Deciding he has too much to drink, Sang-hyuk removes the liquor out of his reach, “then what about (the guilt of) a son destroying his father’s happiness?” Jae-ho warns him not to even think about that (as in sacrificing his love for his father’s), “that would be overstepping your boundaries.”

Having left separately, now worried about his father, Sang-hyuk makes a trip home and overhears Jae-ho crying to his mother about the things that had gone wrong in his life. He figures that at some point (in life) he must have made a mistake. Why else would he nail his mother’s heart, and that of one woman’s, even his own children? His mother dismisses his self-blame, it’s just the work of Fate.

flower_81_05.jpgSaddened by the scene, Sang-hyuk steps out. When his grandmother approaches him later, he asks if this is the reason she was opposed to his marriage? Yes, she tells him, adds that she fully understands his feelings. She knows how much he loves Kkot-nim and how happy he is when with her but no matter how deep that love is, it can’t be compared to what his father feels for Soon-ae. She chronicles what he went through life with Soon-ae – their teenage love, the separation, losing their child, “…and now this when he’s reunited with her at this late time in life. Can your love be as heartrending and intense as his is?”

Since it’s not a destiny meant to be, she advices Sang-hyuk to end it, “be it your father’s or yours, the longer you let it drag on, it’s only going to hurt both parties.” When Sang-hyuk says he can’t do that, she asks, “so for the sake of your own happiness, both of you are going to cause pain to your parents?” Sang-hyuk believes there has to be a way out of it.

Worried that he may have said something wrong to Sang-hyuk when he was drunk, Jae-ho comes over to the apartment in early morning. There, he sees Kkot-nim drowsed off by the bed, but she’s soon awaken. He gathers that she must have been shocked, assures her that he will work something out. He’s not sure if it’s right to ask of her to stay by Sang-hyuk, “ever since he was born, this is the first time he’s in love and received love. He knows what happiness is.” If she were to do that, then what is to be of her mother? “I’ve never imagined a life without Sang-hyuk. And now, I don’t know if I should wait with a hope. If I can wait for it. I really don’t know…”

flower_81_02.jpg
Kkot-nim soon knows what she should do. Seeing her mother drunk, sobbing and yearning for Jae-ho, pains her. After Jae-ho tucks Soon-ae into his car, Kkot-nim asks of him to make her mother happy, “for her whole life, this is the first time she’s living as a woman.” She could have been happy then, when married to Soo-chul, but because of her hate for her, which she would come to regret after her father’s passing, “I robbed her of that short-lived happiness.” If it weren’t for Soon-ae treating her like her own and refusing to abandon her, she wouldn’t have today, “my happiness is important but my mother’s happiness is more important than mine. So please, make her happy forever.” Jae-ho nods, tells her to get going and he will see Soon-ae home when she’s sober.

Kkot-nim’s attempts to be brave about her decision fails. A worried Hong-dan calls Sang-hyuk and he arrives to see Chae-wan wiping her tears. For once, he isn’t barking at his rival, he’s too pent-up with Kkot-nim to be distracted. He takes her way to somewhere quiet, his patience on a tightrope as he asks why she isn’t picking his calls. When she answers that she needs time to think, he tells her, “whatever you need to be thinking about, shouldn’t you be doing it with me?” She argues back that she needs time alone. Still, how could she not answer his calls, “and didn’t I tell you not to cry behind my back? Did you forget that?”

flower_81_03.jpg
His temper is on the rise, soon mixed with questioning fear when she asks, “is there still a meaning to such promises? Is there a hope for our relationship?” She has agreed to their parents dating, “because I know how much they yearn for each other. I can’t ignore my mother’s happiness for my own. I really can’t!” she cries. Sang-hyuk knows too but he’s not ready to call it quits, “so what are you doing about it? You want to end this? You’re sure you can do this?” Calmed now, she suggests they think about it, “I need some time.” And she walks off, ignoring his calls (for her to stop).

Sober, Soon-ae wonders how she got here (at the villa). It’s her daughter who got them here, Jae-ho smiles. He doesn’t tell her why but we know he’s impressed with Kkot-nim’s self-sacrifice for her elders, praises Soon-ae for doing a good job of raising her, “I can now see why you’ve been bragging about her.” Soon-ae agrees that her daughter is indeed something, “without my help, she makes money for her living expenses and went through a hard time to put herself through school.”

flower_81_04.jpg
Jae-ho regrets that he didn’t do anything for Sang-hyuk either, “when he needed me, other than hurt, I gave him nothing.” Jae-ho asks about what they should do now – not because he doesn’t know but he already knows, as Soon-ae guesses he would. Like having make peace with it, Soon-ae answers that she can live well without him as she has found the strength to do it. Jae-ho has accepted it too, “in the end, we sacrifice ourselves for the sake of our children.”

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/my-daughter-flower-episode-80-81/

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 82

Posted on March 14, 2012 Categories Korean Dramas

flower_82_01.jpg

I thought the story properly stubbed out Grandma’s autocracy but once again, she has risen from the ashes. She’s already grumbling that the family hardly eats together so I laughed at she losing her only meal partner when Joon-hyuk, disappointed to hear that the marriage between Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim is not happening, politely excuses himself before he finished his dinner. I’m not sure how the story is going to forgive her. There are some wrongs that can be righted and they are some wrongs that probably can be overlooked with time but if it can never be forgotten, what meaning does it have to it?

Even with Jae-ho and Soon-ae willing to end things in return for her approving the children’s marriage, she says NO. It would have to be over her dead body, she’d later remind him. How is it possible that they can end things when they even had a child together? Out of desperation, Soon-ae promises that she will leave the country and even accept her money if she would do so, “just accept our Kkot-nim,” she pleads. Grandma points out that even so, they can’t just erase the past! She orders her to leave, saying she doesn’t want anymore disruption to her family.

She’s unrelenting but Jae-ho is firmer in his stance.

Regardless of what she insists, he will let the children marry because he doesn’t want his son living the life he lived, living a life manipulated by others, “I want to let Sang-hyuk live the life he wants. And as long as he wishes, I can even search for his birth mother!” Nervous, his mother springs to oppose – as if there isn’t enough trouble brewing in the family already. What’s the purpose of searching for his mother when she never did any good for her son? “Just because Sang-hyuk wants it!” Jae-ho is determined to override her authority. Now, she’s worried but on the other hand, she decides that it would be a fruitless effort since Jae-ho’s wife, the only person who supposedly brought the baby home, has passed on and her relatives are living overseas. He can’t possibly find out anything even if he wants to.

flower_82_02.jpg
Jae-ho and Soon-ae’s suggestion is unacceptable to Kkot-nim too. She stalked out of the meeting – at where both their parents announced that they would let them marry – angry that Soon-ae would think she can ignore her mother’s misfortune to secure her own when she lived her life looking at how miserable she was! With Sang-hyuk now, she tells him that she lacks the confidence to follow their decision, “if we marry, then they will be in-laws. It’s too cruel on them.” When Sang-hyuk tells her they are putting up with it for their sakes, Kkot-nim answers, “even if they are enduring it for us, looking at them, can we ever be at ease? I can’t build my happiness over my mother’s misfortune.” Sang-hyuk is at a crossroad too but it’s not difficult for him to understand what a parent would do for their child, “I don’t know what to do about it either. But I know only one thing. For sure, we cannot break up.”

Good things do pop up in the mid of rough patches. The hospital wants Kkot-nim back at work. For one, they are short-handed and Mi-ra’s toned-down attitude does seems like she’s overtaxed. The hospital director is apologetic for playing a part in upsetting Kkot-nim’s work. While she was selected for the overseas training because of external interference, it’s also because he sees the potential in her which was why he agreed to the suggestion. He never knew she was so well-liked among the patients until she left, in particular, there was a patient who even came specifically to ask for her return.

She finds out that the patient is Chun-man, who did his son a favor because he pestered him to plead the director to reinstate Kkot-nim. Embarrassed, Chae-wan clarifies that it’s really because his father misses her.

flower_82_03.jpg
He notices that she’s looking good today, says he knows what’s happening in her life now. He placed himself in her shoes, wondering what would be his decision. He smiles at the thought of what he would likely do if it were in the past. Only his love would matter, and he would have raised a fuss to remove his name from the family register with no care for his parents and siblings. But of recent, he’s a changed man after accompanying his father to the hospital, “just looking at my father’s back view, I feel a surge of emotions.”

There’s no correct answer (to her problem) but he advices her to heed her mother’s decision. Kkot-nim can’t do that since her mother has always placed her welfare before her own. Chae-wan tells her, “for all you know, your mother’s happiness might just be the happiness of her child.”

Given Kkot-nim’s stubborn stance at their situation, one can’t blame Sang-hyuk for being worried about seeing her – who knows what she’s going to say next? He tells her that he didn’t expect her visit considering how they parted in the morning. She says she’s hungry as she hasn’t really eaten since yesterday. She craves her mother’s food but she’s afraid of going home, certain that her heart will ache if she looks at her mother. Sang-hyuk takes her back to his apartment, among what he’s serving her for lunch are her mother’s side-dishes.

flower_82_06.jpg
When she wishes for time to turn back to before she knew of their parents’ relationship, he tells her that regardless of how complicated matters are now, there has to be a conclusion at some point. She proposes a solution which isn’t much of a solution to Sang-hyuk, “why not we don’t marry? Let’s live like friends, like lovers.” Clear-headed than she is, Sang-hyuk tells her that even so, there still lies the problem between their parents.

Jae-ho isn’t the only one having to warn Soon-ae off her nonsense of wanting to leave the country. Kkot-nim having just apologized for stalking off in the day is now angry when Soon-ae tells her that she’s looking forward to her freedom after she’s married, “I will go on vacations. I will leave for overseas.” Despite Soon-ae’s denial that she’s doing it for Kkot-nim’s sake, Kkot-nim knows it’s an excuse to escape their situation, “I’m not marrying! I don’t want a marriage at which I’ve to sacrifice my mother’s happiness!” Worried that she will act on it, Soon-ae meets with Sang-hyuk and entrusts Kkot-nim to him. Leaving the country is the only solution to their problem and she hopes that Sang-hyuk never give up Kkot-nim.

flower_82_07.jpg
Sang-hyuk may not want a break-up but he knows too that his father’s feelings for Soon-ae runs deep. Even when Jae-ho repeated that the wedding will happen, he wondered if his father can simply end his relationship when he once had a child with Soon-ae? Apart from telling him that he will see to that himself, Jae-ho told him that he’s looking for his mother. Whatever the outcome of it, whatever emotional pain he may have to go through, Sang-hyuk has the right to make his choice, “because she’s part of your life.”

He soon receives a lead, putting him in contact with his late wife’s best friend and it nearly gave me a heart attack when his mother entered the study. Thanks Whoever that she didn’t stick around long enough to know about it. Friend hasn’t much to offer and seems unaware that Jae-ho’s wife fostered her relative‘s child, having always thought that Joon-hyuk is the eldest son in the family. It was a long time ago and she can’t recall much, however, she faintly remembers that Joon-hyuk’s grandmother brought a baby home at that time. That made Jae-ho sit up.

flower_82_05.jpg
Meanwhile, at the eatery, Mi-sook is concerned if Soon-ae can really be in-laws with Jae-ho as looking at Sang-hyuk is probably going to remind her of his father. When Soon-ae clarifies that Sang-hyuk is adopted, Mi-sook is shocked – father and son bear a striking resemblance! Not one to ignore a strange fact, she pounces on the possible mystery linking Sang-hyuk to Soon-ae’s lost son. How else do you explain the coincidence in timeline, she insists even though Soon-ae dismisses it – with an obvious lack of conviction.

Dropping in, Jae-ho overhears the conversation and it’s a light-bulb moment, top that with what he learned from his wife’s friend, he’s now wondering if his mother is indeed capable of such deceit? I guess his mother has lost all credibility because noticing a strand of hair on Sang-hyuk’s vest, Jae-ho picks it off and by next we see him, he’s sending it in for a DNA test…

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/my-daughter-flower-episode-82/

• 3 weeks later...

My Daughter, Flower : Episode 83

flower_83_01.jpg

Thanks to the residues of her sins, at the rate she’s receiving these little watts of disturbances, Grandma will eventually go into cardiac shock. That, or I may be tempted to wring every tendon in her neck. Jae-ho gave her a chance to own up, that is if she has anything she needs to own up for. He didn’t pursue it though, in half-fear that his mother indeed staged their lives. Grandma somehow is programmed with less that repentant chip in her database. I hate scripted timing but here, that doesn’t even bug me as much as Grandma and her pesky hands of interference. Let’s not even go into the technicalities of tampering DNA reports. Theoretically, with technology, it can be the easiest forgery in the world. I just hope Jae-ho has enough commonsense to remember he was betrayed once.

The nail-biting 12 hours is up and Jae-ho is about to collect the DNA results when he’s urgently called over to the Finance Department. The tax officers are here to inquire about the internal stock crisis when Hye-jin exacted her revenge. Chauffeur Kim is entrusted with the task of collecting the results but intercepted by Grandma when she overhears the conversation. She’s good at holding death over someone, pleaded for his help on account of his late mother. For a moment, I hoped that Chauffeur Kim would remember the Law of Trust between employer and employee but then why aren’t I surprise that the probability of parentage has just dropped to 0%?

flower_83_04.jpg
Let’s say Grandma’s sabotage does hold Jae-ho off the search for his son but she wouldn’t count for Soon-ae starting one on her own. Soon. That’s my hope. It has been nagging at Mi-sook, anxious enough to suggest a DNA test – she would if she were in Soon-ae’s place. It’s as easy as picking a strand of hair, if not, a toothbrush. Soon-ae dismisses her nonsense again – at which Mi-sook did warn of a future regret – but it did invoke a what-if. After all, it wasn’t a 100% certainty that the dead boy is her son. That possibility puffs up when she learns from Sang-hyuk that his birthday is the date of his adoption on January 17 which is coincidentally, a few days after she lost her son. But still, there’s a doubt and yes, she does think she’s crazy to even head towards that direction.

Even if parentage is confirmed, it can’t be a real happy ending instead brings about another set of problem which is what’s worrying Jae-ho. I guess that’s where the siblings issue would arise but what’s certain is Jae-ho and Soon-ae can’t just break it off as planned. With a son between them, the landscape just shifted.

flower_83_05.jpg
This is why he’s upset with Soon-ae returning him the ring, surely given what they are to each other and what she has been through for him, their relationship is worth at least the ring? “Our relationship…” he almost spills it but doesn’t, “…isn’t one that can be ended this easily.” He wonders what it would have been if their son is alive? What it would have been if he never gave up searching for her and hadn’t lost their son? Soon-ae tells him that for the sake of their son, even more, they should ensure their children’s happiness. “It’s because we lost ours that we’re gifted with them. We raised them with our hearts and we should be responsible for them to the end.”

As Grandma wanted, everyone breaks up. Their parents’ sacrifice, even when it tears at them, makes it impossible for the young couple to overlook it – if they ever thought they could. What holds weight in their decisions is guilt, at knowing that they don’t deserve the sacrifice. Just like when Soon-ae knew Jae-ho’s decision to let go even when he has yet to say so, Kkot-nim has read Sang-hyuk’s mind too.

flower_83_03.jpg
Over drinks and beginning to break, she tells him that she knows he has something to say to her, just as she needs to tell him something too. And Sang-hyuk explains why. He has never been a good son, having shut off his heart when he knew he was adopted, “other than turning my father’s favorite son, Joon-hyuk, into this, I did nothing for him.” Kkot-nim shares the same regrets. When her mother was at her happiest, she caused her father’s death and robbed her of that happiness and even so, she suffered and sacrifices for her. “For our parents who raised us with their hearts, let’s do what we can do for them. That’s what you came to tell me too, right?” As if heart and mind aren’t sharing the same path, Sang-hyuk looks away, unable or unwilling to put an end to it. So with tears falling, Kkot-nim puts a finality to their relationship, “let’s…break up.”

flower_83_02.jpg
Outside her house, too drunk to walk, Sang-hyuk gives her a piggy-back. Like drunk, she mutters for her mother to be happy, but not totally drunk for she remembers the heartache, “Goo Sang-hyuk ssi, we’re breaking up right?” And he stills at the reminder, clenches his eyes as if stuffing down the pain. On his back, she cries, “we have to part even if we don’t want too…” Only silence as he walks with her on what’s likely the last trip down the dimly-lit path.

Soon-ae grumbles at Kkot-nim getting drunk again but Sang-hyuk can’t bring himself to reveal what happened. With Soon-ae reminding him about the marriage, it’s making it harder for him to tell her there will be no wedding. He tells her instead, that she means a lot to his father which she brushes off such talk immediately. The next morning, Kkot-nim managed as far as, “we’re not getting married,” and is shoot down with a warning to try that talk again.

flower_83_06.jpg
On a lighter note, Chae-kyung, with much to her annoyance, is told to attend a blind date. She skipped out on it once but apparently, Potential Suitor is interested enough to set another date. Chae-wan would love to help her out of the fix but surely he can’t be Lover Impersonator. He did suggest she would be free of such problems if she would just bring someone home. And now, she’s asking Kyung-min on a dinner date, “I’ve something to speak to you about.” So I guess she’s looking at him to be The Help. It’s old trick but something to look forward to. With Madam Spider weaving a larger web at every turn, I need a respite.

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/my-daughter-flower-episode-83/

My Daughter, the Flower : Episode 84 – 87

flower_87_03.jpg

Hong-dan turns out to be the cutest thing, I can’t wait for Joon-hyuk to recover and see how their relationship plays out. Strictly, their line is utopia, paved out for a purpose but one which seems to work rather than about a cynical evocation of impracticality, of which Hong-dan’s naiveté is reason, and by that, I do not mean of intellect but a frank simplicity about her. The pursuit of happiness is a matter-of-fact about a less complex interpretation about life, sometimes it’s as easy as being infatuated with a kiss.

On the contrary, Chae-kyung and Kyung-min’s line is fool-proof but awkward in execution, with a caviling uncertainty hefting off the screen each time they converse. Like the story is unsure how it’s going with them and they are held in abeyance until when necessary, therefore a lack of future emotions to propel their interactions, hence I can’t resonate with them despite my mildly optimistic curiosity. Anyway, Chae-kyung’s plan sort of backfired on her. Kyung-min not only helped her but revealed to her family that they dated when in New York. He’s not over her, but neither is he forcing that feeling on her.

flower_84_05.jpg
After the long wait, together with the back and fro, the anticipation fizzled out and the climaxes didn’t work for me. What worked was Jo Min-soo and Soon-ae’s eruption. I’m not surprised if it took only one shot to capture that demented show of bottomless wrath. It was a mind-froze. Official news are still out of earshot but with a replacing drama scheduled, it’s a relief knowing the end is near – even though it’s by no means a poorer drama than the usual fare. I fear more that it will drag out into silliness so I rather it finishes up when I still have affections for it.

Having bricked herself into a wall of lies where confession isn’t a choice, and perfect resolution by her design – breaking up each and everyone of the four – is falling apart, Grandma takes a step back. It now becomes a choice of one over the other as she remembers Soon-ae’s offer to leave the country if only she would approve the marriage. With complimentary air ticket, residence and money – for the wedding and for Soon-ae’s future livelihood, she tells Soon-ae that she’s giving her approval on account of the children’s deep love for each other. With no one knowing about it, she’s to leave after the wedding for some faraway place, “this is the only way to break off our ill fate.”

flower_84_04.jpg
Surprising Jae-ho with her decision, she tells him it’s because she doesn’t want the children to be suffering over it, “how long more can I live? I don’t want to be an elder who disapproves of this and that.” But it would have to be on a promise that he holds no more romantic entanglements with Soon-ae. He promises but to Soon-ae, he confides that it’s a weight on his heart.

He’s aggrieved and wonders how their lives came to be it is now. He asks if she is confident about treating him as only an in-law? She answers, “just as long as we don’t meet.” More than this issue, they should try to reconcile the young couple who broke up because of them. With a tinge of sadness, he comments that her only concern is for her daughter, she tells him that it has to be so, “because I’m a mother.” He knows that too but still, he can’t help feeling sad (that he’s of lesser importance).

flower_84_02.jpg
Sang-hyuk likely feels the same too. It’s barely 24 hours of the break-up, and he’s already acting stubborn about it. He’s vexed that Kkot-nim is being painstakingly loyal to their break-up, unlike their usual arrangement, she’s not even telling him that she left Joon-hyuk at the cafe. Must she go that far? When she reminds him that they have to break it off anyway – not in any sense flippant but biting the bullet – he’s irritated, “so, are we going to break off, like today?”

Kkot-nim answers that it’s precisely because it’s going to be difficult to do so, it’s imperative that she makes an effort about it, “this is what I’ve to do. One after the other, I’ve to clean things up (as in putting things in order).” He jumps, “clean things up? You’re this eager to break it off with me?” Kkot-nim’s patience is breaking too, “you think this is easy on me? You know too that this is what we’ve to do.” He knows but it doesn’t mean he has to agree with how she’s getting it done, disgruntled he tells her to go on her way, “since you’re this eager to leave me, what can I do about it?”

flower_84_03.jpg
That didn’t last long, soon, they along with their parents are gathered before Grandma, surprised when she tells them that she’s approving their marriage, “because that’s what both of you desire.” Surely, they can’t obstruct their happiness because of what happened with the elders, “that’s the duty of the elders,” she hints at Jae-ho, adding that their parents have cleaned things up between them. Kkot-nim wonders if Grandma can approve of their parents’ relationship if she and Sang-hyuk give up theirs. It’s not a case of one or the other, it’s either them or it’s nothing, and she would be more than pleased at that although she didn’t specifically put her words that way. Lest Grandma changes her mind, Soon-ae quickly interjects that both she and Jae-ho have no plans to make a life together.

Soon-ae repeats that assurance to the young couple – whatever she had with Jae-ho ended 30 years ago. Jae-ho echoes it, adding what’s lost cannot be rediscovered and it’s of this reason, he doesn’t want them to experience the exact regret. As parents, it’s their wish to see them happy. Soon-ae smiles as she tells Sang-hyuk, “realize that dream on our behalf.”

flower_84_01.jpg
Just as it looks like Grandma is going to have her cake, even if it’s only half a cake, the Hands of Providence intervenes or is it the Law of Conscience upset at the state of a tilted equilibrium? At Joon-hyuk’s innocent mention of Sang-hyuk’s allergy to dried cuttlefish, Soon-ae freezes as she remembers how Jae-ho developed a rash too when he ate it once. The similarity, coincidence maybe? Stumbling back to the bathroom, Mi-sook’s Voice of Intellectual Reasoning In The Field of Genetic Studies urges her to commit the unthinkable. She grabs Sang-hyuk’s toothbrush off the wall – thanks to Joon-hyuk’s earlier bathroom tour – stutters a quick excuse to take off and by when Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim follow after to give her a ride, she has poofed.

Concerned, Jae-ho calls and he assumes she left in haste because she was uncomfortable about their situation which she conveniently admits. With her own speculations brewing, much of what Jae-ho said before holds a different meaning to her now. Soon-ae asks if there’s a reason why he had wondered if their son could be alive? His reply is vague – it’s because he held a certain hope. Like battling with the (im)possibility of Sang-hyuk being their son, even though already having made plans with Mi-sook to seek a DNA test, she asks if he did verify the death of their son as they were told, and he says yes. The affirmation though isn’t enough to appease Soon-ae’s nagging thought.

flower_85_02.jpg
Considering the decision made today and how it would be affecting their parents, Kkot-nim advises Sang-hyuk to spend time with his father. Home, Sang-hyuk thanks him for fulfilling his wish to wed Kkot-nim, at the same time, he’s apologetic that he has to give up his relationship for them. Shaking his head, Jae-ho says he should be the one to say that to him.

He’s thankful that he can witness his marriage and he’s sorry for never being a good father. Jae-ho explains when his wife first brought Sang-hyuk home, he wasn’t ready to be a father but strangely, when he first lay eyes on him, Sang-hyuk smiled, “at the moment, I totally accepted you as my son.” He’s not an expressive man and always shutting people out of his heart, “I did not drive you out of my heart because you aren’t my son. It’s never my intention to hurt you and for all the pain I gave you, lay it down to rest now. Live a happy life with the person you love. Don’t be a failure like your father.” Tears roll down Sang-hyuk’s cheek, his father smiles reassuringly as he clasps a hand over his.

flower_85_03.jpg
Over at Kkot-nim’s, Soon-ae is thankful for Kkot-nim obeying their wishes. To Kkot-nim’s apologetic tone for upsetting her life, she reassures her that her life is made up of Kkot-nim’s happiness, “if you’re unhappy, then I’ll be unhappy too.” Remembering what they have been through, Kkot-nim is amazed about their destiny which Soon-ae agrees. She remembers how Soo-chul rescued her which led her to being Kkot-nim’s mother, “perhaps I’m meant to be your mother, that’s why.” She tells Kkot-nim when she comes to have a child of her own someday, only then will she understand the feelings of being a mother.

She meets with the couple for lunch the next day. There, Kkot-nim teases Sang-hyuk for hardly being the warm and sensitive man he is now, when they first met. He barely recalls until mother and daughter remind him of his insensitive attitude. After laughing it off, he tells Soon-ae that love changed him, “I’ve been feeling that the world is beautiful because of this person. I was once bitter at the world but she showed me how interesting it is just to be alive.” Soon-ae places his hand on Kkot-nim’s, reminds them to lead a happy life together. Kkot-nim tells her that the three of them will lead a happy life together and they will never let go of her.

flower_85_01.jpg
On an excuse to see her home, Sang-hyuk tells Soon-ae it’s because he wants to speak to her alone. He surprises her with a ring (of the same design to that he shares with Kkot-nim), saying the three of them are a couple now, “this is a gift from your son-in-law.” After she slips it on her finger, he reveals that he’s representing his father to gift her with the ring (as he knows how she had to return Jae-ho’s ring because of them). He makes a promise that as a son-in-law and like a son, he will always be by her side, on top of that, he’s sorry for making her give up her happiness for them, promising that he will always be happy with Kkot-nim (to repay her for the sacrifice). Touched by his sincerity, Soon-ae smiles with consolation as she agrees to accept the ring while reminding him not to ever speak of his apologies again.

As she steps out of the house the next morning – day of DNA result – she seems to be convinced that her hunch is totally off. The likelihood of Sang-hyuk being her son is beginning to sound incredulous. And the situation certainly is, gradually magnified as she chews upon the surreal truth when we next see her. Grandma could have passed out into an eternal demise in shock of Soon-ae’s berserk fury. As she sways into a faint, Soon-ae shakes her awake, demanding answers and cursing her for being devil incarnate, “how can you eat and sleep after what you did!”

flower_86_03.jpg
Asserting that she has done right, Grandma argues that she did what a mother should rightfully do – her son was 20 and she cannot have his life ruined! “Moreover, I did my best by Sang-hyuk!” she screams in defense of the accusation. Disgusted by her indignation, Soon-ae questions her right to turn her son into an orphan when both his parents are well and alive, and the thought rips off her last shred of rationality as she sweeps off every breakable piece in the living room in vent of her rage. Grandma is shaken but not yet cowered to a submission, determined to champion her morals, “you’re not going to accept anything I say but at then, that was the only thing I can do! I can’t let you raise our bloodline!” I expected her to crumble any moment, in view of her aggressive exertion in relative to her age, but it’s Soon-ae who soon collapses from the emotional exhaustion, sending Grandma into a panic.

That she would die from it.

I know I’m being sardonic but I wondered if she feared the loss of a life, or the loss of life happened on her grounds.

flower_86_02.jpg
On being told that Soon-ae is reporting (the crime of abduction) to the authorities, can I say Grandma shivers in fear but taking care not to betray that fact? It’s always about someone else’s sake over herself, maintaining how she can’t care what happens to herself, “how long more will I live? You can throw me into a cell or better, bury me. But then what about the kids? You’ll be shoving them into hell!” she pleads for the sake of Sang-hyuk and Kkot-nim and that breaks Soon-ae.

Sobbing angrily, Soon-ae condemns her for subjecting Jae-ho to guilt (for never having treated Sang-hyuk well) because he never knew Sang-hyuk is his son! Grandma confesses she sinned and she suffers equal pain, but what is she to do now when time has passed and she can’t undo the past even if she desires to. She coaxes Soon-ae to comply, “just as long as you don’t utter a word, all will be fine. Anyway, Sang-hyuk has always been our grandson and your daughter will soon be our granddaughter-in-law. If you reveal this, she can’t ever marry into our family. Just as long as you don’t say a word, the children will live happily in peace.”

flower_86_04.jpg
Soon-ae almost broke it to Jae-ho, ends up sobbing an excuse that she’s totally not herself – by appearing disheveled and in a daze – because she was reminded of the regrets in her life, of how foolish she was, and for that, she is sorry towards him, “regardless of how tough it was then, I shouldn’t have left you. Even if for the sake of our child, I should have held on to you…I lived like a fool. I’m sorry…” Jae-ho presumes that finally having to end their relationship invoked a resurgence of her grievances. Since they can’t turn back time, he advises her to lay down her regrets, “I’m content to have you nearby, at least we (are within view) to see one another living well.”

The reluctant silence made Soon-ae ill. Returning late from celebrating with Sang-hyuk, Kkot-nim blames herself for immersing only in her own happiness, and was less attentive towards her mother. She tells Hong-dan, “I always say I’m worried for her but all I thought of was for myself. I’m a bad daughter to my mother.” Hong-dan consoles her it’s only natural for Man to react thus, “and (you’re not a bad daughter), you’re a filial daughter.”

flower_87_06.jpg
Kkot-nim almost read the DNA report the next morning, curious when she discovered it among her mother’s stuff. Even though Soon-ae appears in time to snatch it away from her, she has guessed as much that she found her son. She’s excited, asks if she has met him? Does Jae-ho knows? Soon-ae explains that due to certain reasons, she can’t reveal it as yet, “too long a time has passed and we both have something we need to safeguard.” Let’s get her wedding over with and she will talk about it then. She wants Kkot-nim’s promise not to say anything to Jae-ho. Kkot-nim gathers her mother must be going through a hard time, having found her son but unable to reveal it, she comforts her with a hug, “I may not know what’s going on but if it means helping you to protect something important, then I will pretend not to know about it.”

The turbulence from the immense shock refuses to die down, robbed of her maternal rights, Soon-ae is driven by an impulse to reveal it to Sang-hyuk. But soon, ends up in a torrent of tears when Sang-hyuk tells her how much Kkot-nim means to him, “if it weren’t for her, I wouldn’t have opened my heart to my father and broke down the barrier between us.” He tells her of Kkot-nim’s decision to move into the family home after marriage, while she cited reasons of wanting to live in a big family, he knows she’s doing it for Joon-hyuk’s sake, “thank you for letting me marry your warm and kind daughter.”

flower_87_04.jpg
Smiling with gratitude, he continues, “Kkot-nim isn’t just a woman or my partner in life, she’s my reason for living. She’s the other half of me, and I can’t imagine a life without her. Until I die…even in death, I’ll not let go of her hand.” He hands her a handkerchief for her tears, wonders if he can safely assume that she’s weeping tears of joy? Muffling her sobs, Soon-ae nods; Sang-hyuk reassures her with another promise, “for giving me such a precious person, I will care for you forever…”

Sang-hyuk’s life without Kkot-nim is nothing, that’s the only reason Soon-ae needs to hide the secret forever. She admonishes Grandma’s act, wonders how she could face the men or even have a rested sleep after what she did. She figures she must be living in hell all this time, awaiting the time when she has to face up to severe criticism.

flower_87_05.jpg
Grandma admits that as time goes by, she realized she erred even though she had strongly believed that she did it for the good of Jae-ho and Sang-hyuk, “but it’s too late by then. Err once and there’s no turning back. I’ve no fear of retribution, but on the thought that they will suffer, it’s what scares me,” she cries. For the record, genuine tears. “Tell me what should I do to appease your rage? Should I die here, or should I leave for some remote place? What should I do to end this so that my children would not have to suffer again?” She cries. Some more.

Soon-ae tells her to make it up to Kkot-nim, “let her live a happy and worry-free life. Protect her with the rest of your life. I’ll leave. To Sang-hyuk, Kkot-nim and Jae-ho, you’ll treat them as if in atonement for your sins.” Grandma is surprised that she’s letting the secret die away; glaring with hate, Soon-ae corrects her misunderstanding, “I’m not doing it for your sake. I’ll never ever forgive you for it, even in death. It’s for the sake of their happiness that I’m covering this up!”

There’s some merit to a drama which is consistently sensitive to its characters’ intelligence. I keep waiting for Jae-ho to trip up, sure that it’s going to happen at some point but he’s still smart. The missing fixtures in the living room, broken, as Joon-hyuk told him and Soon-ae’s odd behavior struck him as too much of a coincidence. He sounded his mother out, hazarded a guess that a visitor was at the house but she dismissed it. Days after, he’s still mulling over it, bothering him enough to come by Soon-ae’s home, but she clams up and sticks to her story of a lifetime of regrets, “after the children are married, you’ll understand my true feelings,” she apologizes for having him worry.

flower_87_02.jpg
Discussing their honeymoon venue, Sang-hyuk wonders if Kkot-nim swims? She proudly announces that she goes by the nickname, The Seal of Sokcho. How about him? A lot more humble than she is, he answers that at least he wouldn’t drown. She takes him on for a race when they get there, and “the victor gets a wish.” Having boasted about her skills, he wonders what she’s going to do if she loses? She’s not, she assures him confidently.

She wishes her mother can tag along with them, revealing that she is having a hard time because of her long-lost son. Sang-hyuk is surprised to hear that, as having learned that the son passed on. Since both their understanding about it is conflicted, he figures he can verify it with his father. Kkot-nim stops him from speaking to his father about it, he doesn’t know yet and her mother wants to keep it at that for now. Curious, Sang-hyuk asks, although never mentioning Soon-ae having found her son, says that the subject came up between him and Kkot-nim but she doesn’t seem to know that the boy is dead. Jae-ho confirms the death, adds it’s likely Soon-ae never made mention to Kkot-nim.

flower_87_01.jpg
It’s the eve of the wedding. On Grandma’s request to see her (which would be to hand over the family heirlooms for Kkot-nim’s safekeeping), Kkot-nim returns with Sang-hyuk, along with Joon-hyuk, after the brothers delivered the customary wedding gifts. Just as it looks like the wedding will be hitch-free, Sang-hyuk, rummaging through Grandma’s sewing box for a needle to ease Joon-hyuk of his indigestion, finds the torn up DNA report – after Grandma went to the trouble of deciding where to trash it. Obviously, it’s another foul-up decision.

The best-laid plans of mice and men, and so much for hitch-free.

Credit: https://dahyuhlawgs.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/my-daughter-flower-episode-84-87/

Just so you know, I'm enjoying this drama immensely. And I'm watching the vids from SBS (although they're in Korean and I can't understand them).

I'm praying that after Cho Jin Hyuk's enlistment, he would be reunited with Jin Se Yeon. :)

XD

Me too, enjoying it again with all the reposting of this drama recap...episodes are getting very intense now :crazy::tears:

Archived