[Drama 2014] Big Man 빅맨

pechumori

Daniel Choi joins the cast of new KBS drama Big Man
by awcoconuts | February 15, 2014

1620527_1404312809826829_1896786917_n.jp

Daniel Choi is another Big Man. He joins Kang Ji-hwan in KBS’s new revenge drama, and will take on the role of chaebol heir and only son. It’s been roughly a year since his last television projects (School 2013, Anticipate Love), and in a step up from previous working-class roles (teacher, reporter, MD), Daniel continues down the Korean actor checklist by taking on the requisite chaebol role.

His character is an outwardly friendly and congenial man, but he proves to be a two-faced and cunning businessman who doesn’t hesitate to do whatever it takes to survive in business. As the only heir to the fictional Hyunsung Group (a mish-mash of Hyundai and Samsung?), he readily accepts his future as leader of Korea’s most powerful business conglomerate. However, his ascent to power is complicated by the revenge-seeking, orphan-turned-successful-business-leader played by Kang Ji-hwan.

Daniel Choi becomes entangled in a fierce love triangle for a woman (yet to be cast, who’s loved him for a long time) with his rival. It’ll be nice to see Daniel Choi explore an intense, multi-dimensional character, as up until now he has mostly played endearing and somewhat dorky leads or supporting males. (Yes, he was a bad guy in Ghost, but the dork roles have been much more plentiful.)

As previously noted, Big Man will air Mondays and Tuesdays after Full Sun beginning April 14.

Via TV Report
credit: dramabeans.com

source: Big Man - Korean Drama

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jung Ryeo Won considering the role in "Big Man"

Jung Ryeo Won and Daniel Choi Round Out the Cast of Big Man with Kang Ji Hwan
Posted on February 17, 2014 by ockoala

1511642_1404313699826740_114409900_n.jpg

KBS just just premiered it’s new Mon-Tues drama Full Sun (Beyond the Clouds) today and just like clockwork the casting is getting finalized for the follow up drama Big Man. I’m still a bit sad that the rom-com Mozart Romance got pulled from the line up, despite Prime Minister and I puttering to its conclusion I’m still in the mood for a lighthearted romance more than anything. The drama gods did go ahead and make Big Man as palatable for me as possible by giving my man Kang Ji Hwan the titular role. Kang Ji Hwan continues his one-drama-one-movie alternating schedule and having wrapped the road trip movie Shoot for the Sun with Yoon Jin Seo last Fall, he had some time to recharge and now is the perfect time to dive into a drama filming. I scanned the horizon of available leading ladies who might be up for the role opposite Kang Ji Hwan and worried that the ones I want will pass and he’ll end up with a leading lady that turns me off watching. Luckily the casting drum roll has landed on an unexpected but pretty intriguing pick.

Jung Ryeo Won is in talks to join Big Man and hopefully she’ll accept and play an equally big woman kind of role that she deserves. She’s one of those leading ladies that took a long time for me to warm up to and it wasn’t until History of the Salaryman that I saw her in a brand new light. She was electric and mesmerizing opposite Lee Bum Soo (that man, he has the magic co-star touch) and playing against type in the role of a foul-mouthed chaebol heiress. She also earned great reviews in King of Dramas but I don’t know anyone who kept up with Medical Top Team so no word on how she fared there other than the entire drama being a complete dud. Jung Ryeo Won isn’t confirmed yet but is favorably considering the role and close to signing, and if she accepts will mark her first KBS drama since she debuted with a bit part in a KBS drama in 2002. I can already picture her with Kang Ji Hwan and I think they would make a really fantastic onscreen acting combo. While Big Man is wooing its leading lady, it’s already succeeded in bringing on board it’s resident antagonist – Danial Choi will be playing the baddie in this drama which is the first time he’s playing the antagonist in a drama if my memory is correct. The man fairly twinkles with warmth and goodness so it’ll be a great chance for him to stretch his acting chops.

credit: koalasplayground

"Big Man" camp: "Jung Ryeo Won is not appearing"
translated by the KJH Philippine Operator 2/18/14

1655842_1404328229825287_1788889189_n.jp

The deal for actress Jung Ryeo Won to appear in the new KBS 2TV Mon - Tue drama, "Big Man" has misfired.

Production officials of "Big Man" told OSEN news on the afternoon of Feb. 18, 2014 that "Jung Ryeo Won" is not appearing in 'Big Man' ".

Jung Ryeo Won earlier gave the media a positive review of "Big Man". Her previous work was MBC's "Medical Top Team" and was expected to return to KBS through "Big Man".

credit: jykwon@osen.co.kr

Jung Ryeo-won offered lead in Big Man

February 18, 2014 by javabeans
1795509_1404596199798490_1289438254_n.jp

…but may not take the role. I know, way to give me a cookie and take it away. Still, hearing about this potential casting definitely piqued my interest in Big Man: Jung Ryeo-won (King of Dramas, History of a Salaryman) has been offered the leading lady role in the love-and-revenge drama starring Kang Ji-hwan (Incarnation of Money) as the poor everyman who’s out to take down a huge corporation, of which Daniel Choi (School 2013) is the sole son and heir. (The ten-million-dollar question: Who’s the bigger man? …snerk.) (You can’t name a drama that and not get juvenile jokes. You just can’t.)

Big Man centers around Kang Ji-hwan’s character, who grew up an orphan and lived a “third-rate life” before deciding to turn himself around and work himself to the bone, with humble dreams of owning his own restaurant. He gets involved in a plot to save the life of the chaebol heir who needs a heart transplant, and then learns that he himself is the son of a chaebol and begins a shinier new life in that world… and then later learns that was a lie. Ack! Talk about a raw deal. (Also, I don’t know how these disjointed plot points fit together, but that’s what the news articles have told us thus far.) Disgusted with the corruption of his chaebol family, he embarks on a reckless revenge mission in order to protect himself and those he loves, and along the way ends up in a love triangle against his rival.

Jung Ryeo-won was reportedly in the negotiation phase, but the very latest articles suggest that she has either passed or will be passing shortly. That would be too bad, because although these three actors have all acted in some flops in the past, I’ve adored them in at least one thing each. Fingers, assuming crossing position!

Looks like the Monday-Tuesday KBS slot will be busy with intense melodramas, since Big Man will take over the slot from the newly premiered Full Sun. It’ll premiere on April 14. Now that we’ve got the cast (nearly, almost) in place, can we turn our attention to changing that title please? Something tells me inadvertent laughter isn’t the reaction you’d want in an emotional revenge story. Just a hunch.

credit: dramabeans

Via Hankook Ilbo

BREAKING NEWS

Jung So Min joins Kang Ji Hwan in the cast of "Big Man"
2014-02-20
translated by the KJH Philippine Operator

1654330_1404991116425665_143941091_n.jpg

Actress Jung So Min joins the cast of the new KBS2 TV drama, "Big Man".

The official from the TV production reported today, the 20th of February, 2014, that Jung So Min will play Choi Daniel's character, Kang Dong Suk's sister.

Jin is the conglomerate's daughter and her favorite character is the protagonist, Kim Ji Hyuk (played by Kang Ji Hwan)

Jung So Min was acclaimed for her acting performance in "Can we get married?" and was well received in her portrayal for "Came to Me and Became a Star".

"Big Man" will follow "Full Sun" and will start airing this April 14.

credit: norah@tvreport.co.kr

(Note: You might remember Jung So Min from her role in "Playful Kiss")

Guest snowflakesj16

@pechumori thanks for sharing the news! It's been quite a while since we've watched Jung So Min in a drama, so I'm really looking forward to this one! :)  I just read the synopsis of the drama and it says it's about "revenge" hmmm.. sounds familiar? I hope So Min's character will not be similar to her Mo Ne in Bad Guy (had a crush on protagonist, used by protagonist in his revenge). Though I loved her portrayal of that character it would be good if her character in this drama would be very somewhat if not totally different.

Hello @Orion!  :-h

Jung So Min confirmed to star in "Big Man", will have her first script reading by the end of February
translated by the KJH Philippine Operator
2-20-2014

1795666_1405002669757843_1906853653_n.jp

The executive agency of actress, Jung So Min has told Edaily on the morning of Feb. 20, 2014, that she will have the first reading of the script by the end of February.

"Big Man" is about a man, who after being born as an orphan lives a low life, yet becomes a leader in the new economy of the Republic of Korea. Kang Ji Hwan and Choi Daniel have already been confirmed as part of the cast.

Jung So Min plays a chaebol's daughter, Jin in the "Big Man". Her favorite character is the male lead, Kim Ji Hyuk, played by Kang Ji Hwan. Jung So Min is expected to attract people through her charm.

credit: Edaily news@tvdaily.co.kr

Hello, @pechumori and everyone. I am still not 100% sure I'll follow the series, since the plot is really not my cup of tea, but I'll check it out for Kang Ji Hwan. At least 4 or so episodes, depending on how many there are.

I like Jung So Min and I guess she will be a secondary character or second female lead. I wonder who will be the lead now that Jung Ryeo Won declined. Hopefully someone of her caliber and charisma.

JRW backed out at the last minute, @Orion.

Jung So Min Joins Kang Ji Hwan and Daniel Choi for KBS Drama Big Man
Posted on February 19, 2014 by ockoala

1655832_1405015036423273_463792473_n.jpg

There is finally some major breaking news in Jung So Min‘s acting career and it couldn’t have come at a better time and in such a great potential project. Jung So Min has been confirmed to join the cast of Big Man with Kang Ji Hwan and Daniel Choi. She will be playing the younger sister to Daniel Choi’s character, which makes her a chaebol heiress character in this drama. I hope it’s a completely different personality than anything resembling her chaebol heiress character in Bad Guy with Kim Nam Gil. Hhhhmmmm, from Bad Guy to Big Man, Jung So Min sure picks projects with similar names. Jung Ryeo Won was in talks to be the female lead in Big Man but she ended up passing on the project. However, and it’s still unclear at this point, I don’t know if Jung So Min’s role was the one that was offered to Jung Ryeo Won or another role. Ergo, I don’t know if Jung So Min is the female lead or second female lead, though I’m thinking probably the latter. I really don’t care as long as the role is interesting. This would be Jung So Min’s first prime time drama role since she switched agencies and joined SM Entertainment. Last year she did the one-episode KBS drama special You Came to Me and Became a Star opposite Kim Ji Suk which I skimmed through and the last drama I’ve watched with her was the jTBC cable romance Can We Get Married with Sung Joon. I really love Jung So Min but her acting career feels like a series of stops and starts and no consistent upward trajectory of roles and projects. Here’s to hoping the new agency, the new year, and the new drama will bring her back to acting on a more steady basis. I never imagined her acting opposite Kang Ji Hwan before but now that the prospect is out there I couldn’t be more excited. Have some pretty pics from Jung So Min’s recent magazine pictorials, she did a Winter themed one for The Celebrity where she’s dressed like the Snow Queen, and even more recently she graced the pages of Marie Claire Korea for a Spring ensemble photo shoot that feels like a breath of warm air.

credit: Koalasplayground

Jung So Min Cast in ‘Big Man’
by: Kaede Jun 20 February, 2014

998043_1405020553089388_220910784_n.jpg

And we’ve got a leading lady for Big Man! Jung So Min has been cast as Kang Jin Ah, sister of Daniel Choi’s character. Okay so she’s not the main female lead, but she’s likely the second female lead, or the prominent female side character, because she ends up liking Kang Ji Hwan’s character.

Kang Jin Ah is described to be someone who likes doing things her own way and getting what she wants. Not too untypical of a chaebol daughter. She has a major crush on Kim Ji Hyuk (Kang). Hopefully it comes off more comedic than melodramatic. Bratty daughters are hard to like, so I find that her character would be “successful” if she’s either super shallow to add a level of comedy or she’s super complex to add a level of intrigue to the story.

Jung last appeared in jTBC’s Can We Get Married and a drama special on KBS after that. She’s super talented and I expected her to take on more projects more quickly, but she’s really taking her time and being choosy with her projects. Here’s hoping she’s got a good one with this drama.

sources: tv report, newsen
credit: kaedejun.com

Jung So Min to play chaebol heiress in ‘Big Man’
By Korea Star Daily | KpopFighting.com

1795666_1405002669757843_1906853653_n.jp

Actress Jung So Min has been confirmed for upcoming KBS 2TV Mon-Tue drama ‘Big Man’, and she will participate in the drama’s first script reading session at the end of this month.

‘Big Man’ revolves around a man who seeks to ditch his poor life, and become one of Korea’s new generation leader. Kang Ji Hwan and Choi Daniel have already been confirmed for the drama.

Jung So Min will play the role of a chaebol heiress named Jin Yi, who is used to having things her own way, and is in love with Kim Ji Hyeok (Kang Ji Hwan). Jung So Min will seek to show her brand new charms through her new drama role.

‘Big Man’ is tentatively set for a premiere on April 14th through KBS 2TV.

By: Sung Sun Kwak
credit: Yahoo Philippines

You are correct, @Pandavin. Jung So Min's character is Jin and is the sister of Kang Dong Suk. The earlier articles said that Kang Ji Hwan and Choi Daniel's characters would be involved in a love triangle with So Mi Ra. So, Kang Dong Suk cannot be in a love triangle with his sister, Jin, as the girl involved.

'Big Man' main stars confirmed

Source | 2014/02/20

1920372_1405314613059982_1920838687_n.jp

Actress Jeong So-min of 2012 JTCB drama "Can We Get Married??" will make her comeback in the new KBS drama "Big Man".

The 25-year-old actress will play a badly behaved, self-centered heiress who falls in love with the character Kim Ji-hyuk, played by actor Kang Ji-hwan of "Incarnation of Money".

KBS announced that a tale of vengeance involving conspiracy theories related to Korean conglomerates will unfold in the drama.

The show will start airing in April, after "The Full Sun" finishes its run.

By Kim Hee-eun [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

Source : koreajoongangdaily.jo...

credit: hancinema

Archived