[Hong Kong TVB Drama 2014] Glided Chopsticks 食為奴

sugarplum892

66323ee5jw1eczabb3evtj20hr0qo11k.jpg

Details:

Title: 食為奴  / Sic Wai Nu
English title: Glided Chopstick
Genre: Costume comedy

Episodes: 25

Producer: Wong Wai Sing (The Academy Trilogy, Queens of Diamonds & Hearts, Inbound Troubles
Production Company: TVB
Broadcast Date: February 10, 2014 - March 14, 2014

Replacing: Queen Divas 新抱喜相逢

Cast:

Wong Cho Lam

Joey Meng

Ben Wong

Nancy Wu

Louis Cheung

Bob Lam

Matthew Ko

Stephanie Ho 

Siu Bo

Elliot Nok 

Power Chan

Rosanna Lui 

Au Sui Wai 

Jack Wu

Synopsis:

KO TIN BO (Wong Cho Lam) had been an experienced eater since youth, he knows everything about food and the taste as soon as it goes into his mouth. Unfortunately due to a family crisis he and his loyal follower LEE WAI (Jack Wu) were forced to wander the streets and made a living off selling buns. Because of food, TIN BO met a female street entertainer GEI MO SUET (Joey Meng), the Capital's most beautiful woman LIN YEUK BIK (Nancy Wu) and female chef MAI SIU YUE (Stephanie Ho). It is also because of fate that he encountered the Fourth Royal Prince YAN CHAN (Ben Wong) who discovered his talent and recommended him to the palace to work as a palace chef. In the palace, TIN BO meets his old enemy CHOI HOK TING (Bob Lam) and set off a series of battles in the kitchen. TIN BO also didn't know he was getting himself involved in the Eighth Royal Prince YAN YIK's (Louis Cheung) evil plot.

Raw Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX6Utaj5Sp4&list=UUD2SNRlEjxJODlwaKx-BoRw&feature=share&index=2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo9ouJH2drk&feature=share&list=UUD2SNRlEjxJODlwaKx-BoRw&index=1

OST:

Wong Cho Lam, & Stephanie Ho - Loyal Official (忠臣)

Behind the Scenes:

http://youtu.be/ZcamoNZyLkU
http://youtu.be/7PHshQ-eCNo

• 3 weeks later...

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Wong Cho Lam wants higher rating for "Gilded Chopsticks"Friday February 14, 2014 Hong Kong
Source

Posted Image

Comedy actor Wong Cho Lam is delighted with the premiere rating points of his new period comedy, "Gilded Chopsticks", despite its average 28 peaking at 29 points.

According to Mingpao, despite airing during the holiday season, which usually results in low ratings, the series was able to attract 1.8 million viewers.

The actor, who attended the cast and crew special gathering to watch the premiere, said that while he is happy with the premiere rating points, he expected the ratings to do better in coming episodes.

"We also hope that the online rating in China will increase up to 100. If that happens, I will do whatever anyone wants. Anything is possible!" the actor enthused.

In "Gilded Chopsticks", Wong Cho Lam plays imperial chef, Ko Tin Po, a lazy but gifted cook who meets and befriends Fourth Prince, Yongzheng (played by Ben Wong) by chance.

It was stated that the story was inspired by Jin Yong's "The Duke of Mount Deer".

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"'Gilded Chopsticks' Shanghai Promo: Wong Cho Lam & Nancy Wu Respond to the "Van" Seen in the SeriesSunday February 16, 2014 Hong Kong
Source: QQ.com
Translated by: aZnangel

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
(the van spotted in the background of episode 04)

Wong Cho Lam and Nancy Wu went to Shanghai to promote for their new series Gilded Chopsticks. They brought good food with them to meet fans, and those who were at the event were blessed as the two gave out hugs, took pictures and fed fans the food. Gilded Chopsticks is a costume drama set in the Qing dynasty, but viewers caught a noticeable mistake in one of the scenes, where a van was spotted driving by in the background. Asked if this was a blooper? Nancy joked: "Aiya! This is an intentional arrangement." Wong Cho Lam laughed: "What I loved most is this van. No matter how funny I can get, I am just not as funny as this van. You know? The professor from My Love From the Star came from an UFO, so we're TVB people that came from a van."

When speaking of the popular Korean hit My Love From the Star, how will they take on this competitor? Cho Lam expressed the two series are different. "The scenes in the Korean dramas look more like a film, but Hong Kong is a much smaller place, there are so many good artists and we're all sincerely trying to make a good production. We won't compare to Hollywood films, but we support Chinese productions. That's the most important." It was rumored a Chinese version of My Love From the Star is proposed, Nancy expressed she hoped to play Jun Ji Hyun's role. Wong Cho Lam couldn't get away from his comedic side. He said: "Of course we need to do a remake, but it will be the 'Sing Sing' (apes) from the zoo, My Love From the Ape."

In the series, Cho Lam and Nancy will have a relationship, Cho Lam said in a serious tone: "I'm going to be funny in the whole series, except for my feelings for Nancy's role 'Miss Lin', I'm very serious with her. I hope everyone can feel my sincerity. I might be funny, but towards relationships I am very serious." Wong Cho Lam expressed before he may marry his girlfriend Leanne Li next year, he said: "But not necessarily next year because he hopes to let her try out more things in life before marriage, otherwise she may have regrets later on in life." 

TVB Rating Report (02/10/2014 - 02/16/2014)
Source: KuangaiTVBTranslated by: aZnangel
DramasOutbound Love Finale - 單戀雙城大結局 (EPS 21-22 SUNDAY) - 32 PTS (Peaking at 35 PTS)
Outbound Love - 單戀雙城 (EPS 16-20) - 28 PTS (Peaking at 31 PTS)
Gilded Chopsticks - 食為奴 (EPS 01-05) - 28 PTS (Peaking at 29 PTS)
Come Home Love - 愛•回家 (EPS 446-450) - 26 PTS 
Variety ShowsA Time of Love (Japan) - 愛情來得時候 (EP 04) (SUNDAY MINI MOVIE) - 23 PTS (Peaking at 25 PTS)

TVB Rating Report (02/17/2014 - 02/23/2014)Source: KuangaiTVBTranslated by: aZnangel
DramasGilded Chopsticks - 食為奴 (EPS 06-10) - 27 PTS 
Storm in a Cocoon - 守業者 (EPS 01-05) - 26 PTS 
Come Home Love - 愛•回家 (EPS 451-455) - 24 PTS
Variety ShowsI Am Boss - 我要做老闆 - 21 PTS Dinner Confidential - 燭光晚餐 - 17 PTS 
(Nielsen TAM: 1 point represents 64,940)

Guest mysheeki

Good to see GC is doing well in ratings. I am enjoying the series so far. I totally did not catch that can in the background whatsoever!!! Haha

@mysheeki said: Good to see GC is doing well in ratings. I am enjoying the series so far. I totally did not catch that can in the background whatsoever!!! Haha hehe glad to see that someone is visiting and commenting in my hk drama threads! :D

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 26px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"TVB Rating Reports (02/24/2014 - 03/02/2014)Source: MingpaoTranslated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net 
Dramas Gilded Chopsticks - 食為奴 (EPS 11-15) - 29 PTS (Peaking at 31 PTS) 
Storm in a Cocoon - 守業者 (EPS 06-10) - 26 PTS 
Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 456-460) - 24 PTS 
Variety Shows I Am Boss - 我要做老闆 - 19 PTS To Woo A Dame - 搵個好男人 - 19 PTS Dinner Confidential - 燭光晚餐 - 16 PTS
(Nielsen TAM: 1 point represents 64,940 audience) 
Complaints - Gilded Chopsticks, 6 complaints: Joey Meng's age does not fit her character (3), the relationships are too dull with nothing special (2), the plot does not follow history (1). 

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Ben Wong Fears Kiss Scenes the Most; Joey Meng Doesn't Mind Filling the Third ShoeFriday March 7, 2014 Hong Kong
Source: Oriental Daily

Ben Wong has kiss scenes with both Joey Meng and Nancy Wu in TVB series Gilded Chopsticks, but Ben didn't seem to enjoy it. He said: "I've been acting for so long and I fear kiss and bed scenes the most. I just feel its so awkward. In the series, I have kiss scenes with Joey and Nancy. When we were filming, the kiss scenes came one after the other, it just felt so awkward. Luckily, we are all professionals and the filming went smoothly." 

In the series, Ben and Joey's relationship was love at first sight. The simple and innocent feeling made Ben think back to his first love. He laughed: "In the past year, I haven't done much romantic scenes, this time my relationship with Joey is very simple and innocent. When we started filming, it triggered memories of my first love and the feeling of dating." Ben disclosed a small blooper during filming, he said: "There was one kiss scene, we were kissing so much my mustache fell off and I didn't even notice. We continued filming other scenes and didn't notice until the next day. I really felt sorry that we had to spend another 3-4 hours redoing some scenes. It was very fortunate we didn't have to redo the kiss scene." 

As for Joey, she has a relationship with Ben and Louis Cheung in the series. Joey praised Ben as a considerate person, while Louis is humorous. Gilded Chopsticks went through many changes in cast, it was said Joey 'filled the third shoe' as her role was first given to Fala Chen in the Sales Presentation, then Linda Chung was considered before the role landed in her hands. However, Joey did not mind what the public says: "There are always changes in this industry. Different people, different outcomes and sparks. Since I'm portraying this role, I am only concerned on how I could do my best! I don't care about all the rumors." In Gilded Chopsticks, Joey collaborates with her costars fromInbound Troubles Wong Cho Lam, Louis and Bob Lam. She said: "Of course I hope the ratings will be as good as last time, but I won't give myself pressure. Actually the crew isn't entirely the same, it is my first time collaborating with Ben. He looks pretty strict and serious, but in fact he's a lot of fun and attentive. In Hengdian, he went out to buy me so much food to eat, how could I eat all of it myself?" 

Joey disclosed she had a lot of action scenes in the series, so she had to put herself on a diet and practice her martial arts. She said: "Luckily I participated in gymnastic and trampoline courses in High School, so I quickly got a hang of it. However, it still took a toll in me physically. One scene, Louis and I had to show off our Kung Fu in front of the children, but I made so many mistakes, the children were laughing at me and I almost hit someone in the face. (No fear of being disfigured?) You have to trust your partner, if not then you're in more trouble." 

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Gilded Chopsticks' "9th Royal Brother" Derek Wong Gets Heavily Criticized By NetizensSunday March 9, 2014 Hong Kong

23krvo0.jpg 

TVB artist Derek Wong has become infamous from his villain role in Gilded Chopsticks as the "9th Royal Brother". Netizens criticized him as being "overly exaggerated", "super ugly" and other unpleasant comments. Derek frankly expressed: "I know I'm not good looking, so I went down the villain role path, but I never thought Netizens would criticize me this badly. They even said, 'You've grown to look like this, does your mother know?' I feel a little unhappy. Perhaps I get anxious easily, and would unconsciously my stage drama training into my acting in TV series. My acting may have been a little exaggerated, I will try to lose it." 

Derek expressed he understands the audience may not feel "love at first sight" towards him, but he hopes with his hard work, he can one day gain their acknowledgement and recognition. "I hope the audience will see my hard work and accept me. I want them to only dislike my villainous role, and not the actual 'Derek Wong'!" 
_______________ class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Joey Meng Good Cooking Causes Husband's Cholesterol Levels IncreaseSunday March 9, 2014 Hong Kong

9ps17k.jpg 2dbtt8m.jpg 34pm6bt.jpg 28clwkg.jpg

Yesterday Joey Meng, Wong Cho Lam, Louis Cheung, Nancy Wu and Ben Wong attended the promotional event for TVB series Gilded Chopsticks held at the busy street of Tsim Sha Tsui. The cast handed out 520 hot "salty fish buns" to the large crowd. Joey disclosed she already saved one for her husband. Joey has been a good cook since youth, she's best at making stew, stir-fried pork and soy sauce chicken, thus after marriage her husband has put on some 10 pounds and his cholesterol levels went up. For the sake of health, Joey started controlling her husband's diet, she said: "I'm a vegetarian now, we eat lighter and have been keeping it well. Just have to keep up with the body check ups and monitoring the cholesterol level." Joey was initially going to take a 3 month break, but because new series Inbound Troubles II will be starting soon, she only gets a 3 week break. She said: "I just got back from Maldives and cut the long hair I've been growing for many years. Because of the approaching spring and summer weather, its going to be tough with the long hair! Luckily I can put on a wig for Inbound Troubles II, so cutting it short wasn't a problem. My husband said I look nice with a short haircut." 

Wong Cho Lam expressed he saved two "salty fish buns" for his girlfriend Leanne Li. Since his girlfriend is a frequent guest on food shows, her cooking skills have improved a lot. He praised her Kimchi fried rice and hopes to learn from her. Wong Cho Lam said: "She's so happy. Although I don't usually eat Kimchi, I still did for her and its pretty good. (Cook together?) No, when I learn to cook then I'll do the cooking." 

class="ipsType_pagetitle" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.3; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(50, 50, 50); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"TVB Rating Reports (03/03/2014 - 03/09/2014)Source: HKChannel

Dramas 
Gilded Chopsticks - 食為奴 (EPS 16-20) - 29 PTS

Storm in a Cocoon - 守業者 (EPS 11-15) - 27 PTS

Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 461-465) - 25 PTS 

(Nielsen TAM: 1 point represents 64,940 audience) 

• 2 weeks later...

Source: HKChannel Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net 
TVB Rating Reports (03/10/2014 - 03/16/2014) 
Dramas Gilded Chopsticks - 食為奴 (EPS 21-25 END) - 30 PTS (Peaking at 31 PTS)
Storm in a Cocoon - 守業者 (EPS 16-20) - 28 PTS (Peaking at 30 PTS)
Come Home Love - 愛.回家 (EPS 466-470) - 25 PTS
Variety ShowsTo Woo A Dame - 搵個好男人 - 20 PTSDinner Confidential - 燭光晚餐 - 13 PTS 

• 9 months later...

2014 Top Ten Highest Rating SeriesThursday January 8, 2015 Hong KongCredits: to hyn5 1. "Gilded Chopsticks" 29 points2. "Line Walker" 28 points3. "Storm in a Cocoon" 27 points4. "Rear Mirror" 27 points5. "Outbound Love" 26 points6. "Black Heart White Soul" 26 points7. "Ruse of Engagement" 26 points8. "Come On, Cousin" 26 points9. "Never Dance Alone" 25 points10. "Queen Divas" 25 points
2014 Lowest Rating Series1. "Journey to the West" 22 points2. "The Ultimate Addiction" 23 points3. "Lady Sour" 23 points

2014 Top Five Highest Consolidated Rating Series(includes online ratings) 1. "Line Walker" 30.5 points2. "Gilded Chopsticks" 30.3 points3. "Rear Mirror" 28.6 points4. "Storm in a Cocoon" 28.3 points5. "Outbound Love" 27.6 points
FYI: "Come Home Love", "Shades of Life", and "Tiger Cubs II" were not included.

Archived