[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Variation THREE:

The (Sur)Realistic ending

It was the last day for her in prison. The last walk in the yard. HW fed the small caterpillar she had found in the grass by the fence one big piece of tomato, she had kept from her breakfast. The caterpillar wriggled happily as it munched on the red juicy piece, getting fatter with each bite.

Good bye, my sweet caterpillar! Remember that one day you are going to be a beautiful butterfly!

The gates opened and HW fell in the arms of SJ under the cheer of the Soompi SLA support group. The freedom party in the evening was specially organized by @docster6, who had generously offered to cook for all 900 musicians, rookies, idols, superstars, legends and immortals.

- Congratulations, HW-shi! - he started his welcome speech - You have come out of jail 95 days earlier than scheduled! Thanks to the algorithm, which I developed after some experiments, you have managed to earn quickly many brownie points and have been freed in less than a year. I am proud of your achievement and am looking forward to your future success as the love and manager of this talented young man.

@shamrockmom and @turtle1 were secretly sobbing in their handkerchiefs. They still couldn’t believe this was happening, but @chingulinka was there to pinch them to reality and give them a hug.

@kdramafanfan gave HW some fresh tofu. HW was glowing and happy! She looked really peaceful and beautiful, as if she was coming from a spa, and not out of jail.

SJ couldn’t keep his hands off her – he was hugging her and holding her hand. He was the same, just a little bit more manly. In the meantime he had managed to win two piano competitions and learn English and German, so he could talk freely to @briseis, @comickiwi , @bebebisous33 and his other foreign fans.

@seungshini was also there. She had broken the record and become immortal in under 4 weeks while translating the controversial script. She and @cecilia were chatting with HW in fluent Korean and helping to translate the questions people were asking her.

- So why did you marry prof. Kang in the first place? - @stclaus wanted to know.

- Shush, don’t mention that sleazy rat! – @junebugg scolded her. – You know that her hand hurts!

- Oh, yes - @dualnon winked knowingly. – Can I be the fairy godmother?

- Sure, - HW smiled shyly. – But how do you know?

- Ah, we have our ways – wisely concluded @lisafransisca and @mukoro, @luvhollanlop and @mensi hit the LOL button.

There was a special videogreeting by @ineetha, who, unfortunately had been sent AGAIN to India. She was not very pleased with her boss and swore that if he tried to send her away for the welcoming party for HW and SJ’s baby, she would surely quit!

- You should come with the baby to koala’s playground - @AudreyB invited them warmly.

@crazycat was cracking jokes and @ktomato was laughing so much that ketchup was coming out of her eyes.

HW specially thanked @Sarah_b who had become a famous activist and organised several protest campaigns against the wrong representation of Kdrama in Korean mainstream media. She had also managed to disclose the last remaining undisclosed corruption intrigues of the SEOHAN foundation and put all the bad people in jail for many many years. So now InSeo and his wife were managing the school and the foundation.

At midnight @inbestigador007 came with fresh news about the ratings of SLA. Of course it had won all possible awards in Korea and abroad, so everyone was very, very happy.

The party was over and it was time to leave SJ and HW to wash the pots and pans.

@AilynC  @achrisville @alambala @alexee @aotjct 

@arashihonou @ash623 @atyam @AudreyB @ava812 @aya155

@bebebisous33 @bukyloveskd @cannchew @caynam01 @chingulinka

@ChyuuNyuu @comickiwi @crazycat @diamond888 @docster6  @dualnon

@ellecue888 @estrellabrillante @greenwood96 @happyeverafter @ihyuni

@innetha @JavinaD @junebugg @kalidreamz @katchie820 @lovesikara

@LinhThiP @luvhollandlop @marianna vishniakova @mensi @mdj101

@NovitaP @plushy @queennafre @Sabrina Batista @sassygirl009

@schiffleviele @SennaR @seungshinl @slalove @Soibeo

@telzey @the3maples @turtle1 @Yonsamak @yosics @YukiN

@ailskdrama @blinkwy @briseis @broseph @cecilia @cielo Azul

@chandra @DerieMac @dodams @firefly gal @gaby81

@henya @imbestigador007 @ImSunRyeong @kdramafanfan @kennyl @ktomato

@lindab12 @lisafransisca @Llamaesque @missnina @MissRed123

@mukoro @nikvera @sarangyo @sarasona @shamrockmom

@sogazelle @stclaus @suchadiva42 @uburoi @xianzhongfan and all the others hit the awesome button and went to sleep.

*Thanx to @docster6 for compiling the nonexhaustive list of people!

* If I had missed someone, please forgive me!

- he learned to tone his language down a bit, so it doesn't make HW cringe. A statement like forever would have made her cringe dualnon said: slalove said: @chingulinka‌ - he learned to tone his language down a bit, so it doesn't make HW cringe. A statement like forever would have made her cringe good point! his sincerity made her squirm before and I thought that when he said " and you're just too pretty" (something like that at the jail scene) both burst into embarrassed laughter was because that was over the top again and he expected her to find it cringeworthy :)

turtle1 said: junebugg said: Just to add to that master list of Ep 16 anomalies...

• [*]
I also had a problem understanding what SJ was moralizing about, for until Ep 15 he was only asking HW to come clean and it was never indicated that he expected HW to atone for her depraved past. Remember, this is the same guy who claimed to have been pissed and mad about what she was facing at the foundation, after the mahjong incident. But, come Ep 16, the dude doesn't flinch at her sentencing (sorry, the script details don't count, unfortunately.) His reaction to her gnawed off hair was nowhere near outrage. Has he not heard of the atrocities she could incur from her inmates? Whatever happened to lover boy's protective instincts?How many dramas make us question the love between the leads until the very end? However, SLA was different in that aspect for SJ showed us his absolute devotion and gave excessive declarations of his love from the very beginning, only to sound lax and a bit deviant towards the pen-ultimate scenes.

Guest junebugg

slalove said: The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.
i am sorry you have to read the scenes and the ending so differently and be so upset and frustrated about it.

junebugg said: slalove said: The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.
i am sorry you have to read the scenes and the ending so differently and be so upset and frustrated about it.

May I seek the insightful and learned views here please of this option of an ending to SLA please - HW doesn't give herself up to the police and go to jail. Instead she quits her job at the academy, return all the assets that she felt she didn't deserve, move out of her home and into a new smallish but comfy apartment, disassociate herself from all the SeoHan pp, lifestyle and everything, get a respectable new job, make a decent honest living and start afresh. Will u guys allow this kind of ending or do u think she needs to go to jail for cleansing? Based on the majority view here I think SJ can settle with that. He never insisted that HW ought to pay for her crimes. He just wanted her to eject herself from her corrupt world that's all.

What do u think?

Guest alambala

Because my intentions are quite serious when it comes to SLA, I went ahead and ordered myself Sviatoslav Richter's biography... now I am waiting feverishly for my copy with passages underlined by HW and SJ. Recipe for disappointment? hehe

slalove said: The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.

turtle1 said: slalove said: The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.

slalove said:

The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.

if i remember correctly, didn't HW also makes joke after that mahjong tiles injury? but SJ at that time didn't buy it and look so agonized.

you know what i worked up some courage and just went back and rewatch that scene when SJ visited HW at the prison. i just can't help but notice when he told her that he would win the competition and buy tickets for both of them, he seems so playful like he wasn't serious like he was just joking, this bothers me a lot though lol, i know it just a drama but w/ that kind of attitude from SJ i can't help but think that after he walked out of that jail, it would be the end for both of them. their love would be in the past, and that he would move on...the more hearbreaking part is HW actually looked so touched as SJ told her that where would he goes when his home is here (something along that line), i can't help but feel bad for HW since she will start to built up hope and live on SJ's love waiting for the release day, and when she finally got release he is nowhere to be found. my problem is he doesn't look sincere enough during that prison visit, ok maybe it just me lol.

so @slalove: enlightening me please w/ your positive comment. i need that to ease my mind so that i can work up some courage to go back and rewatch the whole drama w/o thinking that in the end SJ would abandon HW. thank you in advance :)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@turtle1 someone mentioned that his seemingly unserious attitude in jail is to lighten the mood for HW to not make her feel any worse and depressed. I think it is believable that SJ actually thought that even tho its quite a silly thought. Someone else highlighted that SJ's overly protective nature over his Goddess disappeared at the jail shown by his lack of concern at the fact that HW was physically abused by unnies in jail. He's experienced jail (much milder version since it was like the 'out patient' type for overnight lock ups only) very briefly and even then he was traumatized. How can he react so nonchalantly over HW's situation. Ok this part gets to me. I don't get the change in attitude too. Perhaps they should've portrayed it as some hidden emotion and have him breakdown and cry after the visit or go home and snip away his food ahjumma's hair to express his hidden pain. Hahaha. That would've assuaged my pain at his indifference!

But I disagree with u that he's given up on being with HW. His VoiceOver about touching her everyday. Whether it was his inner thought or a letter to HW (which is it anyway btw?) we know he loves her dearly and thinks of her everyday. He said he'll be back and YAI said that its a happy ending because he said he'll be back. So he'll be back.

ktomato said: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @turtle1 someone mentioned that his seemingly unserious attitude in jail is to lighten the mood for HW to not make her feel any worse and depressed. I think it is believable that SJ actually thought that even tho its quite a silly thought. Someone else highlighted that SJ's overly protective nature over his Goddess disappeared at the jail shown by his lack of concern at the fact that HW was physically abused by unnies in jail. He's experienced jail (much milder version since it was like the 'out patient' type for overnight lock ups only) very briefly and even then he was traumatized. How can he react so nonchalantly over HW's situation. Ok this part gets to me. I don't get the change in attitude too. Perhaps they should've portrayed it as some hidden emotion and have him breakdown and cry after the visit or go home and snip away his food ahjumma's hair to express his hidden pain. Hahaha. That would've assuaged my pain at his indifference! But I disagree with u that he's given up on being with HW. His VoiceOver about touching her everyday. Whether it was his inner thought or a letter to HW (which is it anyway btw?) we know he loves her dearly and thinks of her everyday. He said he'll be back and YAI said that its a happy ending because he said he'll be back. So he'll be back.

@chingulinka:  Ending Version 2 is so funny and clever.  LOVED THE three magical eggs from StClaus and laughed out loud at his warning to wash your peanut or get punished!  You made the drama into a  really adorable FABLE suitable for young children----I can see it as an animated film for kids, with voice overs by the original main actors from SLA. ----- You covered all the important features from the drama.   Version #3 was also funny. ... "FAN SERVICE" for us Forum guys? ......and Version #1. a romantic SHORT STORY, about a woman's warm memories of her lover.    WOW,WOW, AND WOW ARE  AWARDED !  

slalove said:

The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.

if i remember correctly, didn't HW also makes joke after that mahjong tiles injury? but SJ at that time didn't buy it and look so agonized.

you know what i worked up some courage and just went back and rewatch that scene when SJ visited HW at the prison. i just can't help but notice when he told her that he would win the competition and buy tickets for both of them, he seems so playful like he wasn't serious like he was just joking, this bothers me a lot though lol, i know it just a drama but w/ that kind of attitude from SJ i can't help but think that after he walked out of that jail, it would be the end for both of them. their love would be in the past, and that he would move on...the more hearbreaking part is HW actually looked so touched as SJ told her that where would he goes when his home is here (something along that line), i can't help but feel bad for HW since she will start to built up hope and live on SJ's love waiting for the release day, and when she finally got release he is nowhere to be found. my problem is he doesn't look sincere enough during that prison visit, ok maybe it just me lol.

so @slalove: enlightening me please w/ your positive comment. i need that to ease my mind so that i can work up some courage to go back and rewatch the whole drama w/o thinking that in the end SJ would abandonHW. thank you in advance :)

omo. the pressure! if I were ktomato, I would have turned into juice just from this!! hehe

I can't help it if what I see are two people who are now in sync and perfectly comfortable with each other and speaks honestly with no more guesswork anymore.

she tells him you can leave me. he tells her where would he go when his home is here. he tells here what a waste it would be if they never gave it a proper go. she ponders and without aplomb agrees.

their interaction is very natural, there is perfect understanding now between them. she doesn't doubt him when he says he wants them to try to be together. she doesn't try to convince him otherwise either.

at the time of the mahjong tiles so much of her was still a mystery to him in a way. her life what she does why she allows herself to be mistreated as such. he could

not have believed that she was as flippant as she was when she joked about her injury.

well I don't know if this has helped. I wouldn't try to convince anybody to change their opinions if something. all I do is share what I myself see and feel coz I am that compelled with this drama.

slalove said: omo. the pressure! if I were ktomato, I would have turned into juice just from this!! hehe I can't help it if what I see are two people who are now in sync and perfectly comfortable with each other and speaks honestly with no more guesswork anymore. she tells him you can leave me. he tells her where would he go when his home is here. he tells here what a waste it would be if they never gave it a proper go. she ponders and without aplomb agrees. their interaction is very natural, there is perfect understanding now between them. she doesn't doubt him when he says he wants them to try to be together. she doesn't try to convince him otherwise either. at the time of the mahjong tiles so much of her was still a mystery to him in a way. her life what she does why she allows herself to be mistreated as such. he could not have believed that she was as flippant as she was when she joked about her injury. well I don't know if this has helped. I wouldn't try to convince anybody to change their opinions if something. all I do is share what I myself see and feel coz I am that compelled with this drama.

Guest dualnon

ktomato said:

slalove

said: The circumstances and HW's reactions to both events (the mahjong tiles injury and the haircut) were entriely different.  he sees a HW that was unperturbed by the haicut and even making jokes about it (even though she must rue the loss of her beautiful hair a little bit).  he showed some surprise that there WAS a haircut but since she was herself NOT upset about it, why would he need to be?  while it may not be clear from the visuals that he was aroused by it, it was clear from the conversation that it didnt make any difference to him at all for what he hopes for both of them.