[Drama 2014] Secret Love Affair 밀회

Guest uburoi

Guest xianzhongfan

Love YAI in this. He really devoted his everything into the show. Can I ask a question - why did OHW say SJ is 'black-hearted, selfish n confused' during the practice session? When SJ went back home and started kicking his punching bag, he was thinking how embarrassing that was when OHW said that to him. What exactly did that mean??

xianzhongfan

said: Love YAI in this. He really devoted his everything into the show. Can I ask a question - why did OHW say SJ is 'black-hearted, selfish n confused' during the practice session? When SJ went back home and started kicking his punching bag, he was thinking how embarrassing that was when OHW said that to him. What exactly did that mean??

Guest uburoi

SLA is gaining traction in pop culture

TVN series, Potato Star's latest episode made a reference to the drama. In a scene the family was watching a french series of a couple with 20 years age difference

'감자별', '밀회' 패러디 뒤늦게 화제..김희애·유아인 설정 '똑같네'

`감자별`, `밀회` 패러디 뒤늦게 화제..김희애·유아인 설정 `똑같네`
source: edaily.co.kr

Guest uburoi

class="at_ttl""Secret Dating" Hits A Continent, Will It Continue The Korean Wave?

By Staff Writer | Mar 26, 2014 08:07 PM EDT

JTBC Monday/Tuesday drama "Secret Dating" is a topic of interest even in China.

On March 28th, JTBC said that on Sohu TV, "Secret Dating" is being broadcast live.

Sohu Tv is an Internet TV that Sohu.com, a major portal site operates and is one of the three largest internet stations.

"Secret Dating" on Sohu TV rated 5 Million hits after two episodes (standards of March 21st) and showed a popularity parallel to Korea in CHina.

Especially on March 21st, It rated 1.24 million views In a day and was first in all Korean drama.  Second is the SBS drama "The Inheritors" and MBC drama "Moon Embracing the Sun."

[...]

source: www.kdramastars.com/articles/18282/20140326/secret-dating-hits-a-continent-will-it-continue-the-korean-wave.htm

This report is of course overexaggerated, but I guess these numbers are fine for the show, right?

Episode 4:

After the kiss, HW seemed as though she might've wanted to talk it out with SJ, since she invited him in and was about to make tea (presumably for him).  But when the housekeeper told her that her husband was coming home early, that knocked some "sense" into her and she just went cold on him. 

I can not believe how he lost his mind in this.  I knew he'd end up in jail for something from the preview but that scene was wild.  I felt so bad for SJ throughout this episode.  Hopefully things will look up for him after this.

I love how HW can get things done.  She's always in the know.  Like her husband just happens to see that article that gets him riled up and he just happens to get a phone call about SJ thereafter.  Man he's simple.

Yo that whole Suh Han family is messed up lol.  Everyone's plotting something...I wonder who will end up on top.

I wonder how many women and men cheating on their spouses, girlfriends, or significant others felt the same connection as these two; whether it's in similar work, sports, entertainment, etc. that brings them together.  Having seen homes torn apart by betrayal, I can't watch a drama that glamorizes cheating. 
I loved the beautiful piano playing--absolutely beautiful, but I can't allow myself to be drawn into a drama where I'm rooting for two people to have an affair while both are in relationships and one being married--it goes against my convictions.  Rooting for them makes me feel like I'm rooting for the woman who cheated with my best friend's husband. 
That said, for those of you hanging in there--enjoy!

Guest uburoi

lclarakl said: I wonder how many women and men cheating on their spouses, girlfriends, or significant others felt the same connection as these two; whether it's in similar work, sports, entertainment, etc. that brings them together.  Having seen homes torn apart by betrayal, I can't watch a drama that glamorizes cheating. 
I loved the beautiful piano playing--absolutely beautiful, but I can't allow myself to be drawn into a drama where I'm rooting for two people to have an affair while both are in relationships and one being married--it goes against my convictions.  Rooting for them makes me feel like I'm rooting for the woman who cheated with my best friend's husband. 

uburoi said: class="at_ttl""Secret Dating" Hits A Continent, Will It Continue The Korean Wave?

By Staff Writer | Mar 26, 2014 08:07 PM EDT

JTBC Monday/Tuesday drama "Secret Dating" is a topic of interest even in China.

On March 28th, JTBC said that on Sohu TV, "Secret Dating" is being broadcast live.

Sohu Tv is an Internet TV that Sohu.com, a major portal site operates and is one of the three largest internet stations.

"Secret Dating" on Sohu TV rated 5 Million hits after two episodes (standards of March 21st) and showed a popularity parallel to Korea in CHina.

Especially on March 21st, It rated 1.24 million views In a day and was first in all Korean drama.  Second is the SBS drama "The Inheritors" and MBC drama "Moon Embracing the Sun."

[...]

source: www.kdramastars.com/articles/18282/20140326/secret-dating-hits-a-continent-will-it-continue-the-korean-wave.htm

This report is of course overexaggerated, but I guess these numbers are fine for the show, right?

You really put heart into your Kdrama @lclarakl and it's great if that's what makes you enjoy it more but I have to say sometimes a drama that portrays a more uncomfortable reality can be a welcomed change of pace from the usual format, at least in my case :). I too have a problem with cheating but that doesn't stop me from appreciating the skill of the writer, director and actors involved without rooting for the OTP in any way (granted I'm not one to go into "shipper mode" that easily :)) ). I'm not even sure the writer is trying to make us root for them that hard since we are reminded quite often in these 4 ep  that their relationship isn't exactly acceptable. But at the end of the day we all have a line we don't cross when it comes to Kdrama (me included) and since we poor drama addicts have to stick together I support your decision regarding SLA whatever it may be  \m/

Guest ocdee

Guys, found this post on tumblr
"An anonymous poster left the best Secret Love Affair comment ever on my blog.:
"Having watched through episode 4, I have to say, I feel dirty while watching this drama. Not in a bad way, but in all the good ways. I feel like I am watching something private that I really shouldn’t be looking at but cannot turn away. The directing is just AMAZING. It feels claustrophobic and hot and full of friction, like any moment the there is just going to be a sexual explosion, but of course, being a Kdrama there won’t be one on screen, and that makes it even sexier (HBO could learn a lot about the difference between sexy and just sex by watching something like this). The chemistry in the air is so palpable it’s like sex soup. Of course that is not just the directing but the acting too. I’ve seen some good chemistry in Kdramas before, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it sustained to the point where the leads have chemistry with each other even when they are in different towns. This is so good it hurts!"" SEX SOUP!!! SEX SOUPPPP!! that's like, so accurate, i'm dying. =))

uburoi

said:

lclarakl

said: I wonder how many women and men cheating on their spouses, girlfriends, or significant others felt the same connection as these two; whether it's in similar work, sports, entertainment, etc. that brings them together.  Having seen homes torn apart by betrayal, I can't watch a drama that glamorizes cheating. 

Guest sheol

I've just watched episode 4 with the Viki subs and noticed that the transcription of the german lines that Kim In Joo (SW's sister-in-law, the cello teacher) uses to schold and bully her student for her skills and cheap instrument are very incorrect (really badly since I speak German). Her character description says she can speak fluent german and I have to say her german is truly perfect even from phonological point of view, there is not even a hint of any foreign accent. This level of german is inherent only for people who lived 10 or more years in Germany, the way she speaks she must have been there since childhood. I'm so glad to finally hear some good pronounciation of foreign languages in Kdramaland but I never actually believed I would live long enough to witness such prowess. If it's the actress all kudos to her or it could be dubbed. Initially when I read about KIJ's "fluent german" I started to laugh because when a kdrama character speaks "fluently, brilliantly,..." any foreign language (typically english, but german and french are even worse, however, spanish seems to be OK) it's a cringeworthy experience that will either make you laugh or cry. It often happens to me that I understand perfectly the Korean parts but needs subtitles for the english ones! 

This is what she really says and my translation:
"Das kann ich mir nicht länger anhören! Wie konntest du hier überhaupt rein?! Müsste ein Fehler gewesen sein. Die blöde Sau."
"I can no longer listen to this (crap)! How could you get in here (as in pass the entrance exams)?! It must have been by a mistake. The stupid b00tch (the exact word is 'swine'.

Thank you for this. Though, I wonder why that scene was there? I had a hard time figuring out its significance since it dragged out for a while. To say the least, her German was remarkable.

I have a question, from what I understood reading the subtitles what SJ did was enlist in the public service branch of the military, right? (I mean until HW's husband went to his rescue lol)
briseis said:
And another thing, there seems to be some huge misconceptions among some viewers that Dami and SJ are in a romantic relationship. If Dami tells everyone who is willing to listen her delusional notion that SJ is her boyfriend it doesn't make him into one. He sees her only as a good friend, he doesn't kiss her, he even put her hands away when she touched his face. If he liked her or desired her he would have used her obvious love for him and slept with her but alas SJ is still a virgin. Even the character description says she is only pining after him one-sidedly and there is nothing in the actual drama that proves otherwise (I mean he even left for a different town without a goodbye, there was barely any communication between them and the little was always initiated by DM.).

victorb

said:  You really put heart into your Kdrama @lclarakl and it's great if that's what makes you enjoy it more but I have to say sometimes a drama that portrays a more uncomfortable reality can be a welcomed change of pace from the usual format, at least in my case

:)

. I too have a problem with cheating but that doesn't stop me from appreciating the skill of the writer, director and actors involved without rooting for the OTP in any way (granted I'm not one to go into "shipper mode" that easily

:)

) ). I'm not even sure the writer is trying to make us root for them that hard since we are reminded quite often in these 4 ep  that their relationship isn't exactly acceptable. But at the end of the day we all have a line we don't cross when it comes to Kdrama (me included) and since we poor drama addicts have to stick together I support your decision regarding

SLA

whatever it may be  \m/

Guest tinybelle

Personally, I'm excited to see episode 5. Not "Yes! They're finally gonna start their cheating!" BUT "Yes! We're finally getting started with the premise of the story." Does that make sense? The intro is over with now we're finally getting into the meat of the story.

I want to get into these peoples heads. What does a married woman having an affair think? The other party? because, again, it's not like I can come up to real people and ask them about it. ;))

And I'm fairly certain I'm not rooting for them because I cringe for them. It doesn't help that there's tension whenever they're in the same room (This show is THAT good.). I find myself watching some scenes between my fingers. Which goes to say, I am not as mature as my age claims to be. :))