[Drama 2014] God's Gift - 14 Days/신의 선물 - 14일

SongMira

@autumn93 I summarized what the writer said here:
She said there were a lot of parts that couldn't be filmed accordingly to the script due to tight shooting schedule and there were a lot of important scenes were cut during the editing process. She said if foreshadow scenes were cut it would surely disturb the next scenes. She referred to the scene when Saet Byul ran alone to the toilet while Kim Soo Hyun still in the basement car park. In the script, the scene was originally written to happen just in front of their house entrance. But due to time obstacle, it was changed because she said they didn't even have the time to move & change places. She also said that they couldn't even make the last scene of the drama between Kim Soo Hyun & Ki Dong Chan to happen. So she understands why she got criticized from viewers. She feels so regretful herself about the missing scenes and she really wants to make it specifically & accordingly to the script. In her opinion, drama with this kind of genre really needs to be done in a pre-production way. In other words, she thinks that the drama wasn't smooth due to the rushing filming that leads to the poor editing & such.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hiedi Thanks so much for the translation!!! >:D<  
Wow, so it was due to the tight filming schedule! So I guess the writer and Jo Seung Woo see eye to eye on the fact that shows (especially thrillers such as GG14D) should be pre-produced instead of falling victim to the live shoot system that's currently in place! It's a system that hurts the show and the cast/crew! I'm so saddened to know that if this was filmed and edited the way the writer had intended that we would have had a MASTERPIECE on our hands!!! :(
And what last scene between SH and DC?!?!?!?!?!?!? My OTP!!! 
Awww now I feel bad for being so angry at the writer! She sounds like she's truly regretful and it was out of her hands (to an extent)...Glad she's aware of the dissatisfaction for the ending though! Wished she'd release the scripts, I'd love to know what was originally intended but got cut or wasn't filmed due to time constraints! 
Maybe the director's cut will answer some of these questions!? 

Guest Tribute12

autumn93 said:

And a little random, but it was funny to see how long @Tribute12 's comment was going to be all by its lonesome self on this page 258 lol :)

Guest buticut

Thank you so much, @hiedi !! As for the writer's comments, I am on the same page with @autumn93, at least partially, although she is more forgiving than I am :)). I wonder if she would have said the same thing if there wouldn't have been such a response to the finale. She basically did the same with Iljimae, although it was clearer there that he might be in fact alive. I feel all this is just to heal the burn of the viewers and not alienate them from her future projects, by knowing how crappy she ends them, even though she doesn't feel that way. And how could she have talked with JSW about a Season 2, if nobody knew who the killer was?? You know, like, ohhh JSW, let's make a Season 2 even if you will turn out to be the killer and pretty much die. I smell BS and false hopes - sorry, but the cynic in me won't take anything for granted. And what could the second season be about, while still being faithful to its original premise? Will SH time travel again to scream to DC that she loves him and he shouldn't dive in the water? At least if there would have still been some baddies left, but they were all caught and on overload. And you don't need a whole season to fix everything that was wrong in the first one - just an extra episode there for the SH-DC closure. I'd say to scrap it completely, get a better writer and reunite the pair in an entirely different story.
And while I can totally understand the complaints about being a rushed production and blaming all on the editing, because the bat-sh!t schedule is awful to work with, I think she is just making excuses for herself. Not to mention that she even mentions a scene which didn't bother me that much, except that SH in her situation took her eyes off her daughter. I remember jarring editing mistakes like abrupt transitions or interrupting a key scene with 3 seconds of meaningless dialogue between the president and secretary, which was completely random. After all, despite the hectic shooting, there ARE productions completely done right. But yes, please pretty please, pre-shooting for all!
It's worse if she tells us that a lot of scenes were cut, because it leaves us wondering if they actually threw out the best of them. And if she really wanted to be more obvious with DC staying alive [insert Bee Gees song here], there were simple, but effective ways to do it, like extending that story reading part [ sorry @autumn93, "What do you think?" is still my scenario :)) ] or put a shadowy figure in the scene with SH, SB and her mother. Like, have DC read the story to SB, SB asking what happened to the knight -> cue to the scene with SB, SH and her mother and SH turns around, looking at the hill, where we see the back of DC's head and she smiles. So, there is your answer, SB :D. If she REALLY wanted to keep him alive, she would have bothered more to show it, since all these scenes were probably filmed in advance and she had a clear mindset back then. I am guessing the prison release was one of the last scenes they filmed (usually they don't film them in the order of appearance because of location restraints). Maybe the main actors had even finished filming by the time they were shooting the prison release scene, so instead of bothering newlywed JGW or  JSW on rehearsals, she shot it with a random person just in case. If she talked with JSW about it from early on, they would have shot a fitting scene and not one with some God knows what person whose face we don't see.
So, according to her, if DC is alive, there is no closure to season 1?? Really?? Because it feels like she gave hopes of him still being alive because she knows she needs him for a second season, in case they will ever do it AND NOT because she simply saw it fitting. What's wrong with leaving him alive in season 1 just because? Screw the sequel, JUST LET HIM LIVE BECAUSE WE LOVE HIM. It was what everybody deserved.

hiedi

said:

She also said that they couldn't even make the last scene of the drama between Kim Soo Hyun & Ki Dong Chan to happen. 

Haha @buticut I just love the show so much that I would like to give the writer the benefit of the doubt...but the rational side of me knows that a lot of the blame for how poorly the last two episodes and the finale turned out lies on the writer...if they were short on time then they should have just not filmed those filler-like scenes and instead filmed the key scenes necessary to make the finale make some sort of sense (which is quite the challenge there lol). And the writer would most definitely not say any of this if the ending was well-received, because she wouldn't need to try and appease fans! Haha and I agree about the example she gave for the tight filming schedule, it was kind of weak sauce. If she was being more specific and actually described one of these crucial scenes that got edited out then I totally be all ears! I'm still so upset that the writer knew that she was going to have DC die at the end right from the beginning so why couldn't she have written it better and since that's like the climax, how could they have handled it so poorly if it was always known that was where they were headed? Still in shock and disbelief... 
Haha your scenario for season 2 :)) But yes, I agree with reuniting the pair again in the future! Please drama god!!!!!! Make this come true!!! But about JSW not knowing that he was the one that "murdered" SB, there's something about the writer and director saying that, that isn't believable (think of the R1994 fiasco). How can an actor fully portray a character with the full subtle nuances without really knowing where the character was headed (okay JSW can be an exception since he's just amazing :D ). Also, most of us guessed where the ending was headed so how could the actors not know? 

If this last scene between SH and DC is as you said was "to have SH there witness his death in horror" :)) then no thanks! I'd like to think its what you said with SH looking towards a shadowy figure and smiling or preferably DC shows up to give SH a back hug (it's a Korean drama after all!) and the family looks out at that DAMN LAKE together! Or we can go with that book reading ending that you created which traumatized me with false hope and expectations :)
And finally, now that I'm not thinking with my heart as much, I realize that she is contradicting herself a lot actually. Especially about the ending, it's like she's saying "I knew he was going to die, but wait, he's not dead"???? She doesn't even know! That's another reason why I hated the finale, it was supposed to be open-ended but it wasn't really.

Guest JTQ

hiedi said: Omo!!!!!! I was checking JSW news just now & there's an interview with GG14D writer Choi Ran. I mostly skipped the whole interview except the last part when she said:
"In the beginning of the synopsis, I meant to let Ki Dong Chan died. But after the story was progressing, JSW & I had a talk the possibility about making a Season 2 of GG14D. Therefore I wrote the open ending in a way that there would be a room left for the story could be developed, just in case. Will there be a production for Season 2? It would be great if it does happen."

class="at_ttl" style="text-align: center; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: none; clear: both;"Which Child Actors Made A Big Impression class="at_ttl" style="text-align: center; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; list-style: none; clear: both;"This Year?Kim Yoo Bin
Another charming young actor was Kim Yoo Bin. In many ways Kim Yoo Bin was the star of "God's Gift - 14 Days" as almost everyone in the cast was looking for her character and Lee Bo Young kept repeating her name. Her Saet Byul character was stubborn but smart, disobedient but compassionate and initially not so appreciated by her mother. The nine-year-old actress has had several drama roles, including appearing as Choi Rang in "The Fugitive of Joseon," Na Da Reum in "A Thousand Affections" and Kim A Kang in "The Princess' Man. Her role in "A Thousand Affections" won her an MBC Best Child Actress Award" and she may win another award for her role in "God's Gift - 14 Days."

full article:http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/21437/20140507/which-child-actors-made-a-big-impression-this-year.htm

Guest Tribute12

Which child actor makes a big impression?? yeah definitely SB.. for the records all my peers that watched this drama could not remember Soo Hyun or Dong Chan name as much as Saet Byul name.. In one episode we will see Saet Byul name being called/shouted for countless times.. Even Gag Concert parodied GG and was remaining SB name only to represent this drama... At least one confirmation for award represents GG is through child actor - Yoo Bin.  Each time she acts with LBY she will get award..  :))

Sunhwa talks about playing 'sexy Jenny' in 'God's Gift - 14 Days'

SECRET-Sunhwa_1399410214_af_org.jpg
In an interview with Ilgan SportsSECRET's Sunhwa discussed acting in 'God's Gift - 14 Days'. In the drama, she played Jenny, an overtly confident woman who uses her sex appeal as a distraction during investigations.

Although this would be a difficult role for an idol to play, Sunhwa said, "Rather than being scared because I was an idol, I was careful because of the sexy character as a whole from the very beginning. Maybe it's because I'd only shown a bright image on variety shows in the past, but I did not think this would suit me. It wasn't just me who responded this way, but also the people around me. Also, trying the sexy character did not seem like it would benefit my character as Sunhwa, so I worried a lot."

Also in the drama, there was a scene in which she kept slapping herself to appear crazy at a mental institution for an investigation, which became a hot topic. Sunhwa commented, "It really hurt. But the more I thought it hurt, the more emotional I became, so I hit myself harder. Even while hitting myself, I wondered if I should cry or hold it in. I held it in while acting, but as soon as I got the OK sign, the tears came out. All of the staff members were surprised. Even after the filming, those feelings did not go away for a long time."

Lastly, the interviewer noted that her clothes for the drama were a lot more provocative than what SECRET wore for performances. Sunhwa responded, "Ah... Now that I think about it, that's true. However, I did not think they were provocative. They were the style I always liked and I think they might have come off a bit excessive, but were they very provocative? Well, Jenny had to really stand out, so I wore showy outfits to my heart's content."

cr: http://www.allkpop.com

Its about 2 weeks now and I do miss Ahjumma so much!A portrait of Ahjumma by lby dc's fan.Aiyoh! ahjumma how have you been doing with Saet Byul? Are your hands still full with the hard to handle daughter of yours?p8r48ss.jpg
cr lby dc

class="single-post-category drama-2" style="font-family: Raleway, Raleway, 'Gill Sans', 'Gill Sans MT', Calibri, 'Trebuchet MS', sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 20px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 9px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: rgb(107, 99, 104); text-transform: uppercase; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); height: 20px;"RAMA20140505_seoulbeats_leeboyoung

Spotlight: Lee Bo-Young, Slow And Steady Rise To The Top

WRITTEN BY JOYCE ON MAY 5, 2014

20140505_seoulbeats_godsgift_leeboyoung_baroAfter tying the knot with her beau Ji Sung at the end of 2013, Lee Bo-young recently wrapped up her first drama project as a married woman, God’s Gift – 14 Days. It could be foreshadowing in the works as this is her first attempt in portraying a parent, specifically a mother who travels back in time to save her kidnapped daughter. A rather different direction from her previous works, it’s also her first stab at embarking on the full-fledged thriller genre. While it wasn’t a ratings hit, not even breaking the double digit barrier, it was nevertheless an exceptional performance by Lee, cementing her versatility and her willingness to constantly challenge herself. So, let’s take at her lengthy track record and how she came to be.

http://seoulbeats.com/2014/05/spotlight-lee-bo-young-slow-steady-rise-top/

Guest buticut

Some updates on the DVD release. While the DVD Director's Cut is a certainty, unfortunately they didn't manage to get enough signatures for a Blu Ray release. Instead, they said they will add all the making of videos and NGs on the DVD and the package will come with a Continuity Book from the director, which is a book of sketches of the scenes, done beforehand (as in, before the completion of the show). I just hope the NGs won't be the few ones we've already seen in some BTS videos and there will be a lot of new material :D. Also, questions were sent in for the 4 main actors, who will hopefully respond and they are also trying to persuade them to do audio commentary on the episodes, which would be amaze-balls.
@autumn93 I'm a skeptic at heart :D and I really need solid evidences to buy what people are saying. Regarding the shooting, I think many times it comes down to the locations - as in, if several scenes will have to be shot in the prison cell, they will finish them while they are there, so they can move to another location, even if not all of them will appear in the same episode. But indeed, the whole episode dragged and some scenes which could have been extended were cut short. I feel it's just a case of "I am not sorry of my ending, I am just sorry you didn't like it". In my mind, I still have this hunch that she loved it. Yeah, like, come on, writer, give us something here!! Tell us about a key scene that wasn't filmed. Tell us how DC was supposed to be in that shot with SH and SB, but he needed to be at a different location at the same time. No? No? Ok, no :(.  
It's like she never cared about DC in first place and all the wonderful traits she gave him was just so that the climax could be more of a shocker. She just used him to her own purpose (drowning him). Also, I just remembered, but if no one knew, what was the explanation of the episode 2 hairpin found in his pocket? Did they just tell JSW: Ahhh...well....you know, it's just so that you are on the suspects list, just like everybody else ???
LBY and JSW deserve better. I don't know how frequent it is in Dramaland to reunite leads, but come on, they weren't actually a pair, you can't count that. Yaaa, the red herring about the ending is that it wasn't a red herring after all. Ever since he had that hairpin, he was on our radar, but the writer put him in so many misunderstandings (red herrings), that we were starting to dismiss that theory simply because every time we were suspecting him, it turned out to be someone else to blame. Maybe they said that no one knew, just so it could sound more cool and edgy.
LOL about that back hug hahahahahaa :)) :)), which is a cliche I don't really like, because I kinda associate it with clinging and there are very few clinging characters I managed to tolerate. Sorry about the book hahahahaha it still makes me laugh how you replaced the real event with my story. 
I am still sticking to my belief that in her mind and heart (if she has any LOL :)) ), he is very much dead and that she considers the ending open just because there is so much desire from the fans for him to be alive. Maybe she came up with the open ending notion after realizing that the people thought it was DC in the prison release scene. After all, if it's not WJ, that whole discussion with DC was pretty pointless (except for the flashback :x ). I honestly think it was supposed to be WJ there, but since many thought it was DC, she decided to jump on the bandwagon and not richard simmons people off even more, by saying that the dude is not DC.    

For anyone who still believes the guy who was standing in front of prison waiting for DH to be released
It could NEVER be WJ
cuz the black shirt guy who was standing in the right side was even shorter than the yellow shirt guy in the left side (YG)
why do they still keep thinking that it was WJ?
WJ is 183CM tall
YG is 178CM tall
So,it could only be DC or BT(cuz they are both 173CM tall)
 ....look carefully,the black shirt guy in the right side looks 5-7CM shorter than the yellow shirt guy and,if it was BT,
there would be Jenny there,too
but she wasn't there
it could only be DC!!!!!
i don't say this out of bias,cuz of I am a fan of JSW blah blah blah or whatever
i even brought that scene to a video editor program and was turning it into 0.6x slower (from original speed 1.0x)
and saw thing like this
(((((Plz notice their shoulders' levels,It's obviously showing that the guy is shorter than YG,So It's not WJ,WJ is taller than YG!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sorry for my post,I can't stand seeing/reading any posts saying that this guy is WJ,
It's totally IMPOSSIBLE!!!
455390.gif

Guest buticut

Yoshikitty said: For anyone who still believes the guy who was standing in front of prison waiting for DH to be released
It could NEVER be WJ
cuz the black shirt guy who was standing in the right side was even shorter than the yellow shirt guy in the left side (YG)
 not WJ,WJ is taller than YG!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sorry for my post,I can't stand seeing/reading any posts saying that this guy is WJ,

buticut said: Yoshikitty said: For anyone who still believes the guy who was standing in front of prison waiting for DH to be released
It could NEVER be WJ
WJ is 183CM tall
YG is 178CM tall
So,it could only be DC or BT(cuz they are both 173CM tall)
 ....look carefully,the black shirt guy in the right side looks 5-7CM shorter than the yellow shirt guy and,if it was BT,
there would be Jenny there,too
but she wasn't there
it could only be DC!!!!!
i don't say this out of bias,cuz of I am a fan of JSW blah blah blah or whatever
i even brought that scene to a video editor program and was turning it into 0.6x slower (from original speed 1.0x)
and saw thing like this
(((((Plz notice their shoulders' levels,It's obviously showing that the guy is shorter than YG,So It's not WJ,WJ is taller than YG!!!!!!!!!!!!)

class="entry-title" style="text-align: center; border: 0px; font-family: Lora, Georgia, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 2.3rem; font-style: italic; margin: 0.435em 0px 0.217em; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; clear: none; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"God’s Gift 14 Daysgg14days
One of a thing I hesitated to watch it initially was because of the story line. I am a mom. I have all those sort of thoughts in my head. I especially don’t want to watch it right before leaving my child behind. However, the minute I started the first episode, this show gets to me so badly it is so good. I immediately put on my “protective mommy” helmet on. I can relate to the main character immediately. Because of that, I started to marathon this show religiously and now that I’m towards the end of the series (currently on episode 16), I can see me in her totally. No one would understand this “paranoid” feeling more than me… I mean if something tragic happens to your dear love, wouldn’t you want to turn back the clock and save him (or her)? Well, God’s Gift is exactly that! A mother, Soo Hyun, lost her daughter and the body of her daughter was found days later. Because she was depressed of this unfortunate incident, and blaming herself wouldn’t bring her daughter’s life back, she decided to take her own life.

Full review: http://mymyooz.wordpress.com/tag/lee-bo-young/

id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="text-align: center; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal;"God's Gift - 14 days : Behind the scenes id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="text-align: center; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; line-height: normal;"(Dong Chan-Soo Hyun)

Archived