Do you think a K-Idol or K-actor would have an interracial relationship?

Guest seoulreal

Guest seoulreal

FYI I'm not asking this because I want to date one. I've just seen the ridiculousness that happens when an idol (and actor/actress??) admits they are dating even another Korean!! Well I know some have also dated Chinese, etc... 
but it got me thinking...Do you think famous Koreans would ever date white,black,hispanic, etc...(basically non-asian) ?? I have not seen one famous Korean dating let's say for example...a Russian. I know it's even difficult for regular (non-famous) interracial couples in S.K.
But it's sad to see their "fans" become haters if they are dating someone. To me, you're not really a fan if you're going to send death threats to the person's lover. How bizarre. 
Also..is the backlash worse for an idol to be dating a non-korean than actors? Or is it pretty much even? Anyway, Globalization ftw. Things are changing all around the world. I appreciate your opinions. 

p.s. Not saying sticking one's own race is a bad thing. It's good to preserve traditional culture..but since I'm American, I see our celebs mix it up if ya know what I mean.. So used to diversity here...and with KPop being so international and growing, they meet tons of different people from all over the world all the time.

Guest jollibee

I also cannot believe the ridiculous reaction from fans. It’s not even an isolated case, I know a lot of fans from other countries that react the same.

I’m not saying it’s all bad, some fans are reacting to look out for the celebrities, but over doing it is not really fair with the idol/actor or actress or their respective partners.

I mean I get it that other people’s nose in your life is part of the “celebrity path” they chose but sometimes fans do really go over board.

Regarding them dating inter-racially is very uncommon next to non-existent. Same with you, I know that some have Japanese or Chinese and some have married non-Koreans but I haven’t heard anyone that’s been involved with someone not Asian.

I think this is due to language barrier. Koreans I know really like expressing themselves with actions partnered with words. The are really good at it too, that’s why we love them, so for them not to be able to say exactly what they feel is really hard.

I mean doesn’t that apply to everyone?

Also this isn’t really a big shock since it’s hard for Koreans to marry other Koreans that are not within their “status”.

I heard that when blind dates are set they don’t ask you for what characteristics you would like the other party to have but what the other party’s background is <family, wealth etc…>. You don’t set up class a people with class b, c, d, or f, you set them up with class a people.

On the other hand when it comes to actors/idols/actresses fan reactions I kind of understand where they are coming from since when you are a fan you kind of put the celebrities in a pedestal but at the same time I don’t get it.

I’m guilty when it comes to ranting about the person my celebrity chooses to date <i.e liam hemsworth to Hannah Montana -_- I never got that>…

...But I don’t go so far as to threatening them or stalking them or saying things like “you should go kill yourself” or “go die.”

I totally agree with how it’s weird that fans send death threats to the person’s lover. But to me it’s not bizarre it’s not right and borderline if not already psychotic.

Regarding the backlash, I guess with this one it’s more of the same. The reactions depend on how understanding the fans are or how young.

I believe the younger the fans are the more psycho they go when a celebrity dates. Most fans that I’ve encountered that are older are more mature and try to view the point view of the celeb

Things are indeed changing around the world that it amazes me that some fans are stuck on their weird world of fandom.

My POV is that I don’t really care who they date I just wish the fans would loosen up a little for the benefit of everyone involve and for world peace.^-^.

Guest seoulreal

I totally agree jollibee, thanks for responding. I too have heard about the "class-based" things happening in Korea. It's really not that different than here in America I think though. Except now people are becoming poorer here because we have some serious economy issues going on right now >.<
Anyway, I really hope to see more progression throughout the world, not just S.K.
but because this forum is about S.K., I will say I hope that they will become more open to foreigners more.
I think it would be okay to see 1 or 2 foreigners in K-POP here and there as well, so long as KPOP sticks to the epicness it's putting out like now and doesn't lose what it has going on. Know what I mean? lol

• 9 months later...

I agree some fans reactions can be way over the top. I think we don't hear Korean celebrity with European is because of the lack of opportunity as we'll. Especially k pop, I don't really think idols have much down time.

• 3 months later...

I really don't get the obsession korean fans have over their celebrities. It's actually pretty disturbing. Considering that they actually think that these celebrities belong to them - very scary indeed...  :-S Also I'm slightly unnerved by the term Idol. That itself comes with a lot of negative connotation, at least for me. 'Cause it seem to suggest that these celebrities are God-like or in a different level than the rest of us mere mortals.  
The only Korean celebrity I can think of that's supposedly in a relationship with a non-Korean is Bae Doona. Is she still seeing that Jim Sturgess dude LoL!?
But honestly, I don't think korean celebrities are open to the idea of dating anyone outside their ethnicity...they seem to want to preserve their lineage which is good nothing wrong with that. A little stifling, dated, archaic even but it's really ironic considering they're trying to spread the Hallyu Wave internationally and yet they're not really opening up to acceptance of diversity. It's kind of contradictory.    

• 3 weeks later...
Guest closetkpopfan

It really depends on the person, but I'd say the answer to your question is yes. I'm sure there is an idol or actor out there that would be more than willing to if it was right. The problem is the industry in general and the insane focus on image. They don't even want to admit they are dating a fellow Korean, much less a foreigner because I'm the sure the backlash would be even worse in that case. You also have to keep in mind there are lots of celebrities in Korea who have spent significant time in America and are fluent in English, so it's very likely they've already had interracial relationships.

I know a guy on another forum who actually dated one of the girls in Chocolat, but I don't know for how long or how serious it was. But he posted picture proof and it was legit, but for all I know he could have only gotten 1 or 2 dates. There is also the fact that it's Chocolat, a relatively unknown group even if they have been around for a few years.

Archived