[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest august101

ED might be less resistant to handing over the inner court to SN, her determination to stay in power is tied to opposing El Temur, but I wonder if she doesn't die at the same time as El T creating a power vacuum and everyone scrambles to become top dog. 

Guest tookie18

@filchiny,

I agree with you Ta Wawn is a spoiled wimpy brat, been saying that to myself from the beginning, God knows I am not trying to jump on the bandwagon. He cares only about his wellbeing and no one else’s, what I really do not like is how he constantly hides behind Seung-Nyang and others. I just kept asking myself, what kind of man is he? We are just stating facts about his character, not him personally. That simply means he is a good actor.

In addition, the term “That’s Your Problem” is one of my favorite phrases, I do not believe it is rude to say it. I am not trying to be flippant or factious either when it is used. When I say it I am just trying to convey that I will not be moved if someone is angry and do not have a sound reason for their anger or accusations and/or take an unjust stance against me. This is when I break out this phrase. Some people also believe that the word “shut up” is rude, others do not. We are all adults here and should respect one another’s views and not try to control another’s comments. I am from the land of the free and the home of the brave and am used to expressing myself. I am constantly aware of people’s feelings and the environment or situation at the time of the comment, sometimes I will put the brakes on as not to start a fire storm. No one should be afraid to speak unless it is a harmful statement. I am at the point in my life where I do not care what people say as long as it does not endanger someone’s life. The reason I became a member of Soompi was to have fun writing about my beloved Korean Dramas. We have to remember this is an international thread; there are many cultures, views and ideas that may differ from someone else. In these cases sometimes no one is right or wrong. Truth be told, sometimes I just say what I have to say and do not hold back without insulting anyone, that is my nature.

No one has to agree, we may choose to agree or disagree.  Please do not take this post the wrong way.

Guest hunterdd

chrissydiva said:

LOL at the green screen. Now I'll keep thinking when I watch the show. "Is there a green screen in the background?" :))

Batolu/BiSo is here to stay. I'll be fine with it if they stop trying to morph her into a SN part deux. If she ends up a maid, I might eat my hat. :))

Guest serenity95x3

PeggyM

said: I think you are 100% right about this part.  

SN will never let it be known that  Maha is her baby, but I do see her pushing for him to be the crown prince in the future.

I also do not see her becoming empress without providing an heir for TH, but I am just speculating about that part.  With this drama, it's all hard to predict, lol, that is why I love it so!!   What is your thought on this?  Can SN be empress without 1) finally giving herself to TH and 2) without another future heir from her?  With ED in the picture still after the evil clan is gone, I don't see it being an easy task to make her empress.

Let me say TH character in Empress Ki base on what i see and understand. TH is not selfish. He think also for others. How many times did he say that he don't want blood shed in palace because of him. If he is selfish, self centered person why will TH betray SN. He decided to betray SN because EB & TT told him that all of them will be dead if he choose To do his promise to SN. Actually he did not betray SN for his life only but to save Also SN life , EB , TT and others. TH has a heart to others. You may say he is always thinking of SN but he also think of others life. Actually he was hurt also when all the people as ninja die when he tried to kill ET. He don't want to repeat that incident again.

serenity95x3 said:

PeggyM

said: I think you are 100% right about this part.  

SN will never let it be known that  Maha is her baby, but I do see her pushing for him to be the crown prince in the future.

I also do not see her becoming empress without providing an heir for TH, but I am just speculating about that part.  With this drama, it's all hard to predict, lol, that is why I love it so!!   What is your thought on this?  Can SN be empress without 1) finally giving herself to TH and 2) without another future heir from her?  With ED in the picture still after the evil clan is gone, I don't see it being an easy task to make her empress.

Guest tookie18

I have not read all of the pages so there may be some redundant comments in my post, so please bear with me.  I had written this last week.

From the beginning Seung-Nyang and Wang Yoo have been the spokespeople in the drama Princess Ki.  They have constantly expressed disdain against injustice of any kind throughout. The fact that their country was conquered by the Yuan in those turbulent and brutal times, romance somehow did sneak in between Seung-Nyang, Wang Yoo and Ta Hawn. It is known throughout history that romances do blossom in deadly and serious situations.  

Seung-Nyang’s and Wang Yoo’s main purpose and goal was to eradicate the injustice done against Koryo.  They saw their country conquered and ravished, Seung-Nyang’s mother was brutally murdered before her eyes. They hate slavery and any kind of oppression.

My thoughts are if Seung-Nyang had a choice she would definitely not stay in a system she hates only to become another one of Ta Hawn’s many concubines.  She is approximately ten years Ta Hawn’s senior, personally I am not against the age difference, however, how long will their relationship last in that perverted system? In the near future, when she is an older woman with a few crow’s feet and wrinkles, the Emperor will cast her aside for a younger woman or women. The poor concubines are constantly fighting and killing each other vying for one man’s affection.  In a sense the king or emperor could care less how the women felt, unless he ran across one that he thought he was in love with, meanwhile angering and frustrating the other women. In other words, I cannot believe if given a choice Seung-Nyang would not stay with the Emperor but flee back to her own country, even if she is not returning to Wang Yoo. Realistically, it should not matter that Ta Hawn is handsome or believing he is in love with Seung-Nyang. What does love have to do with it really?  My thoughts keep going back to when Ta Wawn betrayed Seung-Nyang by turning his back on her after she saved his life and lied on her father. He is an immature wimpy young man.

No matter how I try I cannot romanticize slavery, no slave in their right mind would want to stay or go back to being in bondage. There have been some slaves throughout history that chose to remain enslaved, believing that they could not fend for themselves or their owners were “good masters”. Seung-Nyang saw and experienced slavery and freedom first hand.  Who knows if she would be able to forgive all of the misery the Yuan Dynasty caused her country?  Unless, we fast forward to present day, in other words put some time and distance between the situations, then maybe she would forgive and forget.

Finally, many slaves survived by pretending to care for or love their oppressors even giving birth to a child or children by the one holding them in bondage in order to survive. All the while planning to escape, kill the master and/ or themselves and whatever other plans they could think of. 

For the above reasons it is difficult for me to imagine Seung-Nyang with Emperor Ta Hawn. 

Guest adjani1430293095

Er I think its great that everyone is so vested in the drama and characters to express opinions about them, even strong ones. Perhaps some of the ways we express our opinions is not able to illustrate the point or comes across as a tad "unfair" or less insightful etc. And of course in expressing opinions, there are bound to be disagreements and people unhappy or offended at times. But as a group that is enjoying the drama, let's try to see past that and agree to disagree.

If everything was clear cut, then it would be a boring drama right, precisely because there are dimensions, like people who feel TH is a wimp (and at times, he probably comes across much more of that) and then others who feel he is trapped by circumstances and of course, the person (very good looking one playing him) tends to also colour perceptions.. I am sure if some "ugly" dude played him, the "feeling" we get might also be different. 
Same for shippers.. some ship first love and WY .. some feel otherwise. Let's just explore the many dimensions toget her and also leave aside how we adequately or inadequately express our views at times. :)
Ok back to the regular programme : 
I am seriously curious about how the baby issue will be resolved, I also speculated in my earlier posts about how they might treat it (i) bring down TN? (ii) reunited WY and SY? (iii) cause SY to be in danger? How did the novel treat it? (someone mentioned that the baby died.. is that right? or did I remember wrongly?) And yes I agree, it would seriously be very odd to become empress without having slept with or providing TH with an heir... that would just be extremely generous of TH.. even if he did agree to support her!! Afterall traditionally, almost all palace battles rely on the heir bit to procure security of their positions, whatever those may be, be it concubine or empress or favoured consort..
Any one read the novel who can advice? (assuming they even use that as a guide!)

Guest adjani1430293095

Hi Tookie,
Yes surely as a slave, it would be tough.. but er slaves do fall in love with their captives.. I cannot remember which of the 4 beauties but i think there is affection even if its reluctance that initially brought them to the palace. But I think maybe in SY's case, she is not exactly feeling like a slave... She might not forgive him for killing her father but she willingly went back to him to gain power/influence to bring down EL T's clan, that is like re-enslaving herself and she knew she would have to claw her way through when she mentioned to the other concubine that one misstep in the palace will cost your life.. she knows what she is getting into. 
That said, you are right.. that relationship is going to need some development to show they have affection beyond collaborating for a means to an end :) 
tookie18 said:

I have not read all of the pages so there may be some redundant comments in my post, so please bear with me.  I had written this last week.

From the beginning Seung-Nyang and Wang Yoo have been the spokespeople in the drama Princess Ki.  They have constantly expressed disdain against injustice of any kind throughout. The fact that their country was conquered by the Yuan in those turbulent and brutal times, romance somehow did sneak in between Seung-Nyang, Wang Yoo and Ta Hawn. It is known throughout history that romances do blossom in deadly and serious situations.  

Seung-Nyang’s and Wang Yoo’s main purpose and goal was to eradicate the injustice done against Koryo.  They saw their country conquered and ravished, Seung-Nyang’s mother was brutally murdered before her eyes. They hate slavery and any kind of oppression.

My thoughts are if Seung-Nyang had a choice she would definitely not stay in a system she hates only to become another one of Ta Hawn’s many concubines.  She is approximately ten years Ta Hawn’s senior, personally I am not against the age difference, however, how long will their relationship last in that perverted system? In the near future, when she is an older woman with a few crow’s feet and wrinkles, the Emperor will cast her aside for a younger woman or women. The poor concubines are constantly fighting and killing each other vying for one man’s affection.  In a sense the king or emperor could care less how the women felt, unless he ran across one that he thought he was in love with, meanwhile angering and frustrating the other women. In other words, I cannot believe if given a choice Seung-Nyang would not stay with the Emperor but flee back to her own country, even if she is not returning to Wang Yoo. Realistically, it should not matter that Ta Hawn is handsome or believing he is in love with Seung-Nyang. What does love have to do with it really?  My thoughts keep going back to when Ta Wawn betrayed Seung-Nyang by turning his back on her after she saved his life and lied on her father. He is an immature wimpy young man.

No matter how I try I cannot romanticize slavery, no slave in their right mind would want to stay or go back to being in bondage. There have been some slaves throughout history that chose to remain enslaved, believing that they could not fend for themselves or their owners were “good masters”. Seung-Nyang saw and experienced slavery and freedom first hand.  Who knows if she would be able to forgive all of the misery the Yuan Dynasty caused her country?  Unless, we fast forward to present day, in other words put some time and distance between the situations, then maybe she would forgive and forget.

Finally, many slaves survived by pretending to care for or love their oppressors even giving birth to a child or children by the one holding them in bondage in order to survive. All the while planning to escape, kill the master and/ or themselves and whatever other plans they could think of. 

For the above reasons it is difficult for me to imagine Seung-Nyang with Emperor Ta Hawn. 

Guest seohaseurri22

I've been reading lately to all of your speculations about Maha, and I find your posts insightful, indeed.
I'm sorry to kill the joy but if you have been reading this thread ages ago, most likely you've read the "spoilers" from the novel itself, volume 2. It says here:

sarah.lina said: @rinchan76 : thanks to @misstear, she gave us the spoiler :

Ma Ha's plot spoilers from the novel
As some Korean fans said before, the second volume of EK's novel focused mainly on Ma Ha's plot, and they had better cast a beautiful baby-faced actor since his parents are able to be ranked as Mister and Miss Goryeo.
- Tanashiri ended her life by drinking a cup of poison Seung nyang gave her, she told Ma Ha to revenge her death. Ma Ha (Cheon Dung) grew up with the thought empress Ki was the one killing his mother and he swore to kill her with his own hand oneday. Long time later, he finally knew she was his mother, Park Bool Hwa was the one telling him the truth.
- Ma Ha thought that Wang Yoo betrayed Yuan and he went to Goryeo as an envoy to meet Wang Yoo. Wang Yoo having ordered his subordinates to kill Yuan's Crown prince before happened to know Ma Ha was his son and he abandoned that order. After knowing Ma Ha was Wang Yoo's son, Ta Hwan/ Soon Je ordered Ma Ha at this time knew nothing about his real father to take Wang Yoo's life. Realizing the truth, Ma Ha couldnt kill Wang Yoo, they had a short happy time together in Goryeo before Ta Hwan killing Wang Yoo with his own hand.
- Baek An rose up against empress Ki's power, at the time Baek An brandished his sword toward Seung Nyang, Ma Ha used his body as a shield taking that blade and died right after that, at very young age.
Well... I hope our writers will change their mind, tragic ending makes viewers not to be able to forget but there's no need to go that far... Too many tears have to fall and the pain cant never be eased...

SN - What is all this argument about!!??  Why do people think they can influence who I love or don't love in the end?  It's MY choice!0282.gif
Image Credit: HJW Baidu
I've been checking this thread regularly the last couple days.  I hate to say this, I used read almost every post in this thread, but the last couple of days, I've just been ignoring most of the posts.
I don't understand why people are still bantering back and forth about WY/TH.  It's the same crap, different pile.  Why can't we just ignore posts that we find offensive, instead we respond in the same manner.  
Now I know it's not everyone, so I apologize if this is offensive to some people.
Most of the time I just skip posts where I find are not interesting, silly, stupid, irrelevant, or just out right offensive.  I guess maybe it's easier for me to do that since I don't ship SN with either guys, I only ship SN. Whoever she ends up with, I'm fine as long as she's happy...or not so happy.
I'm not going to make any direct comments to any of the posters in this thread, because I haven't been reading everyone's posts thoroughly, so I won't make any assumptions.
I just want to say though, don't use the name of 'freedom of speech' to write things that are offensive to other people.  'Freedom of speech' should be considered a privilege, and not a right, it should not be abused.
The reason why there are so many hate crimes in countries where people believe 'freedom of speech' is a right, is because these people are abusing this 'freedom' by saying hurtful things to other people without even knowing it, or doing it knowingly because it's their 'right'.  
Alright, I'm done with this.  If anyone finds this off topic, click 'Off Topic', if you find it offensive to you, click 'Flag - Abuse'
I'll be back on Monday to discuss episode 30 with everyone if we're ready to go back to talking about the drama.

Hi

A little character analysis:

Empress Dowager, Bayan- Can't wait until I get the power rangers....umm for the good of Yuan. Yeah for Yuan.

El Temur - Abusive, murderous dictator with a heart of stone- Has reached his point of incompetence and doesn't know it yet. Gone too far

Tanashiri- Baby EL Temur without the smarts

Provencial consorts- Teenage mean girls without the fashion sense and also kinda homely.

Yom, Yon- Wannabe powerful but knows they will never really be. Totally amoral and will hurt anyone to survive. Human diseases. 

Deokman, Golta, Bang, Pak-The fabulous four ....eunuchs. Know exactly who they are and what they should do. The most useful people in the palace or out.

Wang Yu-Strong, confident and a little throne obsessed. Everything comes after that throne that he may or may not get back

Tal-Tal -Most likely to succeed after SN. Cool, steely, brainy, sensible and beautiful without conceit.

Bi-soo- If she leaves now it won't be to soon for me. I won't get that wish but anyhoo go away Turk girlie.

That's all for now-Is it Monday yet?

seohaseurri22 said: I've been reading lately to all of your speculations about Maha, and I find your posts insightful, indeed.
I'm sorry to kill the joy but if you have been reading this thread ages ago, most likely you've read the "spoilers" from the novel itself, volume 2. It says here:

As some Korean fans said before, the second volume of EK's novel focused mainly on Ma Ha's plot, and they had better cast a beautiful baby-faced actor since his parents are able to be ranked as Mister and Miss Goryeo.
- Tanashiri ended her life by drinking a cup of poison Seung nyang gave her, she told Ma Ha to revenge her death. Ma Ha (Cheon Dung) grew up with the thought empress Ki was the one killing his mother and he swore to kill her with his own hand oneday. Long time later, he finally knew she was his mother, Park Bool Hwa was the one telling him the truth.
- Ma Ha thought that Wang Yoo betrayed Yuan and he went to Goryeo as an envoy to meet Wang Yoo. Wang Yoo having ordered his subordinates to kill Yuan's Crown prince before happened to know Ma Ha was his son and he abandoned that order. After knowing Ma Ha was Wang Yoo's son, Ta Hwan/ Soon Je ordered Ma Ha at this time knew nothing about his real father to take Wang Yoo's life. Realizing the truth, Ma Ha couldnt kill Wang Yoo, they had a short happy time together in Goryeo before Ta Hwan killing Wang Yoo with his own hand.
- Baek An rose up against empress Ki's power, at the time Baek An brandished his sword toward Seung Nyang, Ma Ha used his body as a shield taking that blade and died right after that, at very young age.
Well... I hope our writers will change their mind, tragic ending makes viewers not to be able to forget but there's no need to go that far... Too many tears have to fall and the pain cant never be eased...

Guest hunterdd

PeggyM said: seohaseurri22 said: I've been reading lately to all of your speculations about Maha, and I find your posts insightful, indeed.

Hello my friends on the thread ,I love you all , just as you are, >:D<

let's not be bad to each other , all we got on this thread because we love Korean dramas and so we all got to watch Empress Ki ................................................................................................................................. it is about to leave everyone the freedom to choose  how speaks by thread why get mad? Let's be friends!!!!!!!

I tend to call you all, my friends, but you really became my friends only If you want, this is about two, isn't it??And all my friends have my love without conditions ..
btw Have I told you lately that I love you? I love you, guys

EDIT: sorry My real comment is just below .. here was a little stuttering .About Empress KI drama and all the characters ,all good things!!