[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

@stclaus Welcome to this thread! :) Glad that you could join us. This thread is relatively nice so i hope you could stick around.  Wait! Someone actually use that plot in another sageuk? Was the lady a future Queen or Empress? I don't know. Since the book did sell pretty well, i am worried they'll think that plot is a great idea. Then again, maybe the one who bought it didn't know that was included hahaha
I am Switzerland when it comes to shipping. I have decided to just stick to character shipping instead of couple. I am safer this way. Nevertheless, i still think that any child plot is to be left alone. lol I am just not a fan of it. Honestly, i don't think that if even i was shipping her with WY, i would have liked it. I mean it would result in possible three scenarios. 
1)She finds out she is pregnant after going back to the palace. Somehow, i guess she uses TH's affection for her to convince him to lie that the child is his or it will be the death of both her and the baby. Of course TH would do anything to protect her and to have her by his side so he agrees. That just.. ugh LOL It just makes her look immoral and playing with two guys and the fate of her child. It makes TH look like an idiot and WY a clueless dude who got dumped or whatever situation they'll come up with to explain their separation.2)She finds out she is pregnant while with WY, gives birth, but for some reason, she decides to go back to the palace and gives up not only on WY but on her child too. SN is seen as the cruel ambitious woman who abandons her child a la Yawang for power and prestige.3)Someone takes the child either an enemy in order to use it as leverage against Goryeo or an ally in order to protect the child from harm if someone finds out that SN was with another man before the Emperor. SN becomes the Empress and then kid pop up and big scandal occurs.
Either three scenarios don't appeal to me. It doesn't even appeal to me in a soap opera, i don't see it appealing to me in a sageuk. That's just me or maybe i'm just more worried on how it would look on the titular character to be written as loose. It reminds me of the short lived show Camelot. What's her face leading lady slept with King Arthur while she is engaged to Lancelot. Then she still goes on with the marriage so in order for the hubby to not know well that she wasn't so pure, she gets cow blood and splash it on the bed so Lancelot could be none the wiser. I swear if i get something like that on this show, there won't be any cow blood  :))

Aaaack! Enough with the love child plot theory already. I can't see it at all. It doesn't appear to be in Seungnyang's nature to stoop so low to trick Taehwan into thinking that it is his child. It just seems so cruel for all involved, Wang Yoo, Taehwan, and Seungnyang. She just seems to be one who always takes responsibility for her actions. It's so ridiculous. Writer-nim don't go down that path, jaebal.

Guest smoochysparks

Is it just me that cringed when WY was shirtless in this episode? It was kinda ewww when this ahjussi showed his top half >.<

Please no more WY/SN scenes! Can't our puppy send him back to war? :((

I find that scene kinda gross, WY's upper torso was exposed and then Mong-Soo was behind him kinda reminds me of his frozen flower days lol

Guest smoochysparks

I posted last week. I am not believing the sudden romance between SN and the deadpan WJ character, and I believe it is the same case with many viewers. If there is zero chemistry, there is zero chemistry and we dont want to watch 30 episodes of unbelievable filler. Note that ratings were steadily climbing prior when the SN + TH romance was building up. If there must be a love triangle the writer should immediately give the WJ character a personality transplant or introduce a new character with facial expressions.

I couldn't agree more :-)

bashful said: TH is very aware of SY and he tries his best to make her smile...He calls SN over to also give her the opportunity to see the play. Also like the time TH claimed to have SN test his food for him (after SN heard the false news of WY death) but actually he was worried about her so he wanted to make sure she eats. TH has no power even though he is king but he tries to protect SN with everything he has.TH acts like a child but actually he quite caring and thoughtful when it comes to SN. He protects her quietly in his own ways. TH appears and act like a child outside but he is quit mature in the inside.

WY is the other hand seems mature in the outside but a child in the inside. LOL in this episode he was so jealous of SN and TH..WY was jealous and mad when he realize SN is slowly starting to accept TH..... I don't really like seeing the jealous side of WY. I prefer his character to be more clam and cool. 

Guest minnie0103

As a WY-SN shipper, though it may sound bad, I kinda thank brat Yeon Hwa for what she did to Seung Nyang. If nothing happened, then we would have not seen WY-SN interactions, right? Wang Yoo moved fast just to catch her and she literally fell into his arms. He even stopped Tanashiri from reprimanding Seung Nyang and pretended that he was completely okay. He really is Mr. Chivalry to me. And next, we saw Seung Nyang feeling bad for her King that she went to him to check him up and even treated the burns to his back. I don't know why, but that scene touched my heart. Just sayin' :)

Guest smoochysparks

If the writers of Empress Ki would still go on with the love child plot, maybe they could also do a favour for SN-TH shippers by jumping off a bridge into the Han River hand in hand =)) >:)

Guest anjshin

I just got caught up with a big smile reading each other opinions from the last 5 pages of this thread. If I were the writer, reading this will be much of a compliment because they are doing a great job for us to make an opinion foreseeing future episodes that might happen, on the crazy side of this i will appreciate and is looking forward if the next coming episodes will be unpredictable, something new on a viewers' eyes that the word AWESOME might not be enough to describe it.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all and to team EMPRESS Ki, fighting.  ;;) <:-P =D>

Thinking back on the first episode on SN-TH wedding, we saw SN smile thoughtfully at her parents' rings, as well as send TH a smile, but upon seeing WY there is sadness. This kinda of gives me the feeling that WY is the one that got away, but that doesn't mean SN does not love TH.
One of the interesting topics kdramas tackle in terms of romance is the first love x ultimate love complex. It has often been phrased in different dramas/manhwas that first love is called first love because it is meant to end. In this I think they mean it is called first love because it indicates that there is then also a second love, or else what would be the point in doing rankings. However as a side note there are people who marry their "first love" and in this it can be called a misnomer and the should say they married their "only love". 
I feel like this sentiment,( which is not a rule to kdramas, since there have been many in kdramas who have had only one love) maybe a guiding point in this love triangle development, because I have seen before where dramas have set up a triangle and the girl leaves her first love for the guy that came in last. It is one possible explanation for why we have SN being in love now with WY where as we also see growth and transitions within TH and SN relationship. This may also be why TH and SN have so many cute scenes, because we need an explanation as to why she doesn't hate after all that transpired in earlier episodes. Also maybe the writers assumed that many of us would swallow SN-WY being in love because they are in a generally amicable relationship, and have often relied on each other for support. Since the situation is ripe for them to fall in love, the writers told us it happened, because this is an easier story to sell. However TH-SN relationship would be harder to sell if the writers did not put in these scenes that they have together. 
The development of TH-SN relationship may indicate she will love him towards the end, I don't know how much though, but she should at least care for the one she will marry, because it would be too miserable for SN if she doesn't. 

Guest minnie0103

@rinchan76 I'm not so sure, but I've read before that the rings she was looking at before getting married to Ta Hwan in the first scene of Episode 1 were not (were different) from her parents' rings. Not that sure though. :)

Wow so many insightful ideas... and some crazy ones too...
I feel bad for JJM when he's criticized for not having the same body as a 20 year old... I still think his shirtless scene was very lovely... it looked real to me and I did feel the connection between the two characters... and to this humble Ajumma he's HOOOOOT!
@rinchan76 I agree with you too in how the writers had to sell us the "love story" between TH and SN... but something makes me ify... on most stills of SN as Empress she has this Iron Lady, cold, fearless,  type of look, gives me goosebumps... that's why I thought of that possible love-child disguise pregnancy kind of thing... 
And on Episode 1, that short moment when TH looks at her, he looks doubtful, like he's still unsure or weary about something... his encounter with WY questioning him about his feelings for her... I don't know how they ended up there... it's killing me...

I'm confused why some people think Ta Hwan is the main male character/the man Seung nyang is going to fall in love with. The rule of thumb (as in, almost always the case) with kdramas is that the main male lead is the man the main female falls in love with. That almost NEVER changes. And the main male lead here is Joo Jin Mo. Why? Because objectively speaking, Joo Jin Mo is an A-list actor, long established in the korean drama and movie industry. In comparison, Ji Chang wook, while I like him, and think he is promising and talented, simply doesn't have the "clout" in the industry to be headlining or to be the main male lead of a long, big budget 50 episode sageuk like this. (He did do Warrior baek dong soo but that's because the main male character was supposed to be a teenager) Joo Jin mo would have never agreed to do this kdrama if he was playing second fiddle. Therefore, although we know from history that Seung nyang will marry Ta hwan and become his empress, it is HIGHLY probable and almost guaranteed that the man she will actually love is Wang yoo. I find the shipping wars and such amusing, but the fandom (especially fandom in abroad and not in Korea) rarely effect who gets first billing/is the main character.

Guest kenneth123

I understand why the ratings are going down.... there are too much unnecessary scenes like.. although I am a th-sn shipper, scenes like the cleaning of ths face again was not needed .. yeah its cute but it can make room for the plot to move on.. too much staring scenes between the leads.. people get it.. at some point it becomes overused...the plot should move faster and keep things interesting.. I think the previews give something to anticipate for but it can be done better.... I understand its a melodrama but we also need things to move on... and the bloodletter arc yeah .. so the ink gets remove once it rains but do you really need to see that for the next episode again... the main is hjw but I feel like th and wy has more scenes than her.. and don't know what she is planning to do... an example of a good ep was ep 1-4.. all i understood from ep 17 was wy is now fighting for sn and gets jealous too... and th is planning all along bec of sn .sorry just ranting... I just don't want the story to not go to waste .. it has so much potential... sigh :(

Guest niknokdagu425

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0yHyLSqb0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWx0yHyLSqb0 MBC drama awards teaser!squeeee i think TaNyang couple will be both attending the awards night YIIIIIPEEEEE YEHHEYYYYY

Guest walkingintherain

Okay, I know you all are now discussing about the possible plot of the coming episode while I'm still hanging on every small detail of the current episode  :))
But anyway, the face washing scene!!! Although the scene isn't new (not that I'm complaining ) ;) But I can't help but noticed that when SN ask TH why wouldn't he let the musuri to wash his face instead of her, correct me if I'm wrong but did I hear a tint of aegyo in her voice???? Ahhhh!!! So cute!!!!
And for WY- SN moments, can you see those tears brimming in SN's eyes when she clean the wound??? She must care for him thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much if she is to cry for him over a  wound! Even I never cried when I injured myself! 
And again, TH always get the fun scenes, and WY gets the emotional scenes! Write-nims! Please! I wish for more emotional scenes for TH and fun scenes for WY to be fair! ^:)^