[Drama 2013] ♔ The Heirs/Inheritors ♔ ♕ 왕관을 쓰려는자, 그무게를 견뎌라-상속자들 ♕

Maja

OK, before I read everyone's posts I'd like to write my opinion here.

Is it me or I'm already getting tired of these types of characters? Especially Eun Sang and the jealous girlfriend.

The obvious clichés about the US are also a bit cringe worthy (and I'm not even American). Maybe I'm not watching this series with the right state of mind. But seriously I just can't root for Eun Sang, one of the main characters. Like, she has no real dream, all she has ever wanted from life was to live in the US and benefit from her sister's situation while she doesn't even have a college degree to find a job there and can't even freakin' speak English? She has no job in mind, no goal. She worked very hard just to run away from a respectable but poor mother. And she actually went to the US without giving her sis' a call? She kinda feels entitled to have a piece of her sis' cake, to me. Jealous of her own sister, even. Nobody asked her to work at 2 or 3 jobs, she didn't need it, she decided to do it because she was desperate to leave the country.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the 2nd episode and see where the drama is going...the story might get interesting and I might get used to Eun Sang. I hope the writers have something different to show us than the whole "Americans party all the time, are so wild and take drugs" thing.

damondayfreak1 said:

Is it me or I'm already getting tired of these types of characters? Especially Eun Sang and the jealous girlfriend.

The obvious clichés about the US are also a bit cringe worthy (and I'm not even American). Maybe I'm not watching this series with the right state of mind. But seriously I just can't root for Eun Sang, one of the main characters. Like, she has no real dream, all she has ever wanted from life was to live in the US and benefit from her sister's situation while she doesn't even have a college degree to find a job there and can't even freakin' speak English? She has no job in mind, no goal. She worked very hard just to run away from a respectable but poor mother. And she actually went to the US without giving her sis' a call? She kinda feels entitled to have a piece of her sis' cake, to me. Jealous of her own sister, even. Nobody asked her to work at 2 or 3 jobs, she didn't need it, she decided to do it because she was desperate to leave the country.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the 2nd episode and see where the drama is going...the story might get interesting and I might get used to Eun Sang. I hope the writers have something different to show us than the whole "Americans party all the time, are so wild and take drugs" thing.

Has anyone read A Midsummer Night's Dream? I kept thinking about that story ever since Eun-sang mentioned it. One famous line from that play is , "the course of true love never did run smooth," and the play itself presents that theme very literally by having lovers chasing each other in the woods foolishly and irrationally (all thanks to Puck the fairy). Another thing in the play is the colliding world of various classes, of realism and supernaturalism - we have fairies, ordinary Athenians, craftsmen, lord and his bride to be. 
I'm seeing some of that in Heirs - that interplay between reality and fairy tales. I like that KES injects a lot of humor in her story - poking of fun of the upper strata of society - how absurd is it to be engaged at the 17!? Or having three wives and the complications. Her slight dig at that lifeless chaebol class where the burden is just simply too much it turns family against each other, everything is business business business. 
And most importantly, we have love and how it transforms these young individuals - their point of view is guided by the world they live in. For Eun-sang, her experience in America is all but a dream, for Tan, their encounter is as real as it can get. I love how we get to see two sides of the same coin. 
I'm rambling, but I do feel there is a lot more to unearth in this Heirs' universe. What we think is foolish or real or dreamlike. 

hell59 said: And I have also been a fan of Park Shin Hye, I watched her in "You are beautiful" and "Heartstrings" and I liked both shows!  She is not very pretty, actually quite plain, which is OK, BUT, my problem is how credible is it that the 1st and 2nd leading actor fall in love with this plain looking, very poor girl, daughter of the maid and it does not even look like she is special in any way. I understand it is K-drama and it is fantasy, but really, what does PSH have that is so wonderful that both men fall in love with her right away? Just asking. Besides, I think PSH was so hysterical in the scene with her sister, she totally overdid it in her acting. She always has the same face expressions in all the shows she is in. Then, there is Rachel, who is a very pretty rich girl, and nobody is in love with her, how credible is that? Have you seen PSH's kisses in all her dramas, she is like the Virgin Mary, wooden, closed mouth, unsatisfying kisses, she barely even hugs the co-star back. Well, one thing is that LMH (great kisser) can certainly KISS, is she going to be her usual self and LMH will have to do the wooden chaste awful kisses throughout the drama? I hope not, it is time for her to upgrade as an actor and I hope they should have some hot kisses coming, otherwise, we will all be disappointed!

If Rachel is Young Do's taste then why is he so interested in Eun Sang? That's why even though those two ooze chemistry in a Chuck Bass/Blair Waldorf way, she really isn't his type. She's the female version of him which is why he's interested in her but not in a romantic way. I can't ship those two even though they look good together haha.

I take back what I said in other social media networks and blogs about ES. I initially thought ES was going to be the typical "Candy" girl that doesn't stand up for herself and does what she's told all the time... I dislike weak female characters and I wasn't going to like it if ES would to be bullied throughout the whole series; however, Park Shin Hye's portrayal of ES is perfect! She's quite FEISTY and she does stand up for herself! She doesn't do what she's told but she knows her place. I love that she talks back to Rachel and maybe even Young Do when they properly introduce themselves to each other... and I love that she has this sarcastic sense of humor with Tan. So yes, I'm looking forward to the high school drama.

I agree. I knew I saw her face somewhere before. Her role and face reminded me of Jan Di in Boys Before Flowers (not a really good comparison to me). I'm getting bored of seeing this type of face as the main lead, she looks plain (but OK) to me, even if she's above average in Korea according to Korean beauty standards. And I also don't understand what the rich guys could find in her? I wouldn't pay much attention to her if I saw her in the street.

As for kisses...she ain't gonna upgrade that soon, she's playing an 18yo girl so she's not going to have hot kisses....in my opinion. You know, the innocent teenager/young adult type of character.

I agree that PSH is not beautiful. But she is cute & has a lively face. I don't think her character is suppose to be beautiful. That's not the reason why YD & KT are attracted to her. As for how can these guys find prefer her over Rachel, well that's easy. Rachel is beautiful but no more than every other beautiful rich girls in their class made up with expensive clothes & make ups and not to mentioned cold personality. They see & encounter those kind of beauties like that everyday of their lives. What's to be amazed about?

However, ES is different. She's not spoiled & she's not privileged. Both guys see her struggle & worked really hard for what little that she may has. At the same time, she's also spunky and warm and never once tried to take advantage of them. Basically, she's a rare delicacy dish that's not lying around for them to take whenever they want. How can they not be interested in her?

Guest sunset88

aznchic209 said: If Rachel is Young Do's taste then why is he so interested in Eun Sang? That's why even though those two ooze chemistry in a Chuck Bass/Blair Waldorf way, she really isn't his type. She's the female version of him which is why he's interested in her but not in a romantic way. I can't ship those two even though they look good together haha.

I take back what I said in other social media networks and blogs about ES. I initially thought ES was going to be the typical "Candy" girl that doesn't stand up for herself and does what she's told all the time... I dislike weak female characters and I wasn't going to like it if ES would to be bullied throughout the whole series; however, Park Shin Hye's portrayal of ES is perfect! She's quite FEISTY and she does stand up for herself! She doesn't do what she's told but she knows her place. I love that she talks back to Rachel and maybe even Young Do when they properly introduce themselves to each other... and I love that she has this sarcastic sense of humor with Tan. So yes, I'm looking forward to the high school drama.

Guest prosperity

imagec
Ok, guys I know I am off topic, but I must point this out. This is why the earlier posts claiming that Min Ho had something done to his face, were so absurd to me. Look at these pictures. His face is basically the same. In actuality, his present day face is most similar to BOF days. Look at the lines of his jaw. They are the same. HIs nose also looks the same. So we can just kill that argument now and move on.
Back on topic, the extended preview is very interesting and I can't wait for Wednesday. I think the writer wanted to show both YD and KT courting ES, because they wanted to display the differences between these characters. Same with Tan wearing white, and YD wearing black as their uniform shirts.
I also want to point out another parallel, when YD first saw ES, he was paying attention to her, but she never looked his way (pizza delivery), second time when she was sleep walking. She never once glanced his way, even though they were in close proximity. On the other hand, when she first came to California, and was on the boardwalk, she glanced at Tan as he was walking with his surf board, and when she looked away, he also noticed her. I don't think this is a coincidence. 

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Haven't you ever come across a person in a movie,drama or real life that looks average but after spending time with them you begin to see them differently. They suddenly grow beautiful in your eyes. Or the opposite a pretty girl or handsome guy whose behaviour is so bad they begun to grow ugly before your eyes . A handsome guy who beats your girlfriend is he going to remain handsome to you after he does that ? Looks are not everything.
 I think PSH as ES is pretty but that is not the reason any guy might fall for her. It is the interaction with her that makes it happen . Her smile, her laughter, what she says all light up her face, her expressions, her thoughts all make up what makes her attractive. Superficial good looks are pointless if you an empty, cold person because you will never grow to be loved simply because that pretty shell is all there is to you. Between ES , Rachel and Bo Na the clear winner as far as attractiveness goes is ES because Rachel is cold and a horrid person, Bo Na is very annoying.  Not everyone is that shallow about going only for looks it is the whole package that makes ES attractive. That kind of attraction will last over just a skin deep one. 
The first time KT sees her she is crying and looking her worst and is shouting and everything about that scene is not ideal but he connects with her. YD sees ES the first time that is the first he actually notices( bike shop does not count I think he does not remember that) when she just woke up,bed hair and in a zombie trance again not her best but she made an impression. 
It would indeed be a sad world if only the pretty people get to be together and looks were the only qualification. Character is the most defining quality in my book. I always recall this one gf of mine who was very average looking (could be described as plain) who had a movie star looking bf ( I used to drool over him in secret) and guys constantly would ask him what he saw in her ,I was often about when they did so I got to hear his response. He said her smile when she sees me. They got married and have 3 beautiful girls and its 30 years on. (hmm I just realised I gave away the fact that I am old)

prosperity said:
Ok, guys I know I am off topic, but I must point this out. This is why the earlier posts claiming that Min Ho had something done to his face, were so absurd to me. Look at these pictures. His face is basically the same. In actuality, his present day face is most similar to BOF days. Look at the lines of his jaw. They are the same. HIs nose also looks the same. So we can just kill that argument now and move on.
Back on topic, the extended preview is very interesting and I can't wait for Wednesday. I think the writer wanted to show both YD and KT courting ES, because they wanted to display the differences between these characters. Same with Tan wearing white, and YD wearing black as their uniform shirts.
I also want to point out another parallel, when YD first saw ES, he was paying attention to her, but she never looked his way (pizza delivery), second time when she was sleep walking. She never once glanced his way, even though they were in close proximity. On the other hand, when she first came to California, and was on the boardwalk, she glanced at Tan as he was walking with his surf board, and when she looked away, he also noticed her. I don't think this is a coincidence. 

Guest august101

damondayfreak1 said:

Forget about PS rumours. LMH had less lipstick when he played his manlier roles . How come his make up artist put such obvious lipstick for Kim Tan.

I am not going to comment on personal remarks about acting abilities . However just need to point out most viewers would notice between good,average and bad acting. PSH is not a bad actor.

Also I wasn't going to comment because I didn't feel really qualified about it . However there has been way too many comments about the Konglish being spoken by some of the actors. My 2 cents.

How many of you study with or work with people from a NESB? What we call Non English Speaking Background? You all do realise that Koreans have 11 years of English in school? They may have bad pronunciation but it doesn't mean that when they have to turn up homework, they can't turn up perfect homework.

Also people may have an accent identifying where they're from even if they lived overseas for many years. It all depends whether you have a talent for mimicking or want to change it. I have an obvious accent identifying where my birth country is and I've been living overseas for more than 20 years. My colleagues at work have the same and we're all post graduates. I am considered really fluent in English and even then I sometimes have to speak extra slow for some native English speakers to understand me. I do on on occassion when they have difficulty, purposely spoken as slowly as Kim Tan.

Also regarding coming to US for a stay even without a college degree? Isn't this biased? Because there is nothing to say one can't come, stay, work a menial job, improve her English and then make a life for herself? There are plenty of people who do that in real life.

I do respect everyone's views and generally do not wade into heated discussion

on soompi. It spoils the mood. However in this case have been disturbed to read so many disparaging remarks about the pronounced Korean accents in the US. It is acceptable to comment about it but to equate a Korean accent to mean his English is inadequate? That's not a logical conclusion. Otherwise all the foreign university graduates would be called stupid just because they will graduate but still retain their birth country's accent.

Oaky... back to lurking.