42 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

New hairstyle?

First of all- love that his bangs are back :)

Secondly- these last few pics, also the one his cousin (?) posted, really highlight just how petit JH really is! From these pics its very clear why everyone is commenting about how small his face is- he's almost like a doll compared to the guys next to him :D a pretty, deadly doll :hwaiting2:

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

First of all- love that his bangs are back :)

Secondly- these last few pics, also the one his cousin (?) posted, really highlight just how petit JH really is! From these pics its very clear why everyone is commenting about how small his face is- he's almost like a doll compared to the guys next to him :D a pretty, deadly doll :hwaiting2:

Hahaha! I want to take a pic beside this pretty deadly "doll" like these people too!!

• LOL 1

47 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Hahaha! I want to take a pic beside this pretty deadly "doll" like these people too!!

Now I recognized the guy in the picture; it's the youtuber that interviewed JH When he promoted the Killer. right? Looks like these days he's doing charity, and in the caption he thanked JH- so, could it be that JH donated something or helped with the charity?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Now I recognized the guy in the picture; it's the youtuber that interviewed JH When he promoted the Killer. right? Looks like these days he's doing charity, and in the caption he thanked JH- so, could it be that JH donated something or helped with the charity?

Yes, it's the same guy.  

I think Hyuk is going to appear on his YouTube Burger-hyung again to promote his album. 

I think he is thankful to hyuk for what he did in the past when they worked together in  'Voice' and 'The God of Trade – Gaekju'. I remembered he said, "When my mother-in-law passed away while filming 'God of Trade', Hyuk Hyung always pushed my filming schedule forward, so I always have a grateful heart." 

So that could be why he still remembered Hyuk's kindness to him.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

Yes, it's the same guy.  

I think Hyuk is going to appear on his YouTube Burger-hyung again to promote his album. 

I think he is thankful to hyuk for what he did in the past when they worked together in  'Voice' and 'The God of Trade – Gaekju'. I remembered he said, "When my mother-in-law passed away while filming 'God of Trade', Hyuk Hyung always pushed my filming schedule forward, so I always have a grateful heart." 

So that could be why he still remembered Hyuk's kindness to him.

Oh, yes- now I remember! I wonder where they are? Did they go horse back riding?

• Like 2

Seeing the news about Lee Sun-Kyun makes me all the more grateful that JH had good friends to rally around him during his past issues...

I know the two controversies are in no way comparable but the type of mental strain and public backlash is. And poor LSK's family - can't begin to think what they're going through right now. How very sad. May he rest in peace. I will continue watching Payback on Prime, which I only started yesterday

Despite my self imposed exile, I have been spying on this thread daily lol. Watching a couple of shows and thinking how JH would have fitted them. My current fave is Gyeongseong Creature and I'm really enjoying Park Seo joon in this. I would have loved to see JH as one of the baddies - the one doing the experiments - although the current actors are also good.

Also watching Death's Game - it's not grabbed me the same way but it was nice to see the stepbrother from MF doing a different, more action centric role. Again something I was thinking JH could have pulled off

Finished watching Jirisan and it was a comfortable watch and good ensemble. I do like the genre - disaster / rescue (?)- though I wouldn't have added a crime thriller in the mix as a matter of preference. Made me curious about Ji Jihoon - will be looking out for something else of his to watch. Not Hyena though lol

Fingers crossed for casting news soon. Can't even pretend I'm interested in house husband or the photocard thingie. Though I wish him all the best with it all

Gaah I want a meaty, non-action role in 2024. Something with emotional weight. Slice of life for the win!

Edit: LSK has the type of filmography that I wish JH had. I didn't think to compare them as actors although I would say he didn't grab my attention like JH, Lee Minki and Park Seo-joon. But his body of work, in terms of storylines, is impressive to me. Such a shame indeed

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

Seeing the news about Lee Sun-Kyun makes me all the more grateful that JH had good friends to rally around him during his past issues...

I had to go and look what you were refering to, since I don't follow Korean news. If I remember correctly, the guy had drugs issue before, so I'm a bit confused as to how they decided this was intentional by him. I kinda liked him in My Mister  (though not his charcter, as his character was weak and boring), so I tried watching other things he did, but nothing grabbed me.

I know the two controversies are in no way comparable but the type of mental strain and public backlash is. And poor LSK's family - can't begin to think what they're going through right now. How very sad. May he rest in peace. I will continue watching Payback on Prime, which I only started yesterday

Even if the cause of his death is true, mentioning JH in juxtaposition to this issue is a bit of a stretch to me, since JH has never mentioned such thoughts crossing his mind, even immediately after his scandal broke. I'm sure the friends that supported him helped, but it also had to do with the way he thinks- He did say that he lost his optimism for a while in the begining, but then, while serving in the army, he rallied and worked on improving himself. 

This kinda puts our hopes for JH's future in perspective- LSK has achieved what we kinda hoped for JH- an international career. But more than that we hope for JH's happiness. First and foremost his happiness. JH's path is different. It's clear he doesn't play the game that most actors play in order to succede, and as a result his path is more difficult. But at least he's in control of his path, and so- seems to be happy. 

Gaah I want a meaty, non-action role in 2024. Something with emotional weight. Slice of life for the win!

I have tried to watch two shows recently. Awaken, due to the constant comparisons of the lead actor to JH, and Perfect Marriage Revenge, just cause I felt like watching a a romantic revenge show, and its synopsis looked promising. 

Awaken- I stopped after 3 eps, since this was nothing but a standard maveric briliant cop being clever, solving everything while being rude. As to the comparison to JH- I would say his acting was like he was doing a parody of JH's acting. Over the top swagger and blase. Very one dimenssional. 

Perfect Marriage Revenge- started promising, for one moment I even thought this could get close to being as fun as FTLY, but then it desolved into the usual rich familes' intrigue. Sadly the male lead, that started out being tough and smart, turned into a complete simp. The lead actress was actually not bad. I think she could be very good, with the right material.

What these two shows highlighted to me was just how many bad to mediocre shows are being made. The scripts are so repetetive and forgetable! I guess this is what JH meant when he said that he noticed the change in the business, and decided on striking on his own. There are very few good scripts floating around, and those that do exist, go to those that play the game. 

So I think on this we'd have to wait a bit more, for JH to put his plan into effect, and start the ball rolling. 

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson I'm in no way implying that JH was depressed or had suicidal thoughts but we can't say for certain how he must have felt deep down

The biggest difference with LSK is they were in different life stages. JH had his military service to shield him a little from continued public scrutiny. He could disappear from the public gaze so to speak. Whereas LSK was still in the thick of what I imagine would have been a long process. Plus he's a father and JH wasn't at the time. When you're younger, you're more tenacious and its easier to imagine starting over. This in no way invalidates the fact that depression and suicides among young people is high. Simply put the stakes are higher in LSK's case

And I think I have a different impression of the industry than you. Imo they are no more cliquey than HW or BW. At least they are a little better on nepotism but in general I understand that people will cast who they like or want to work with. I don't see it as playing a game

JH going his own path might be a product of him not getting repeat offers from people he's worked with before. His acting might not be to everyone's taste for example. Or it could also be that he's not interested in the sort of content they're making these days. This is consistent with the fact that he's now pitching ideas. Agree that better to wait and see how his plan unfolds

Personally, there are duds in every film industry but I've also seen some great SK shows. I can't fault how JH chooses roles but can't say I've been enamoured with some of the stories. Some people have a knack for picking good stories, have talent, and are also lucky in being favoured by certain producers/ directors. I don't wish to diminish their success by saying they are playing a game, because I don't think they are. Yes popularity and fanservice does play a part. But I'd like to think that some writers / directors / producers see themselves as artists / have a vision and will cast who they think would do justice to their stories

Also can't argue that it was the weight of LSK's fame that led to his decision. The allegations he was facing are career damaging in that part of the world and its also a culture with high social guilt. Whether he was internationally renowned or not, the strain would have been the same. That's not to say another person in his shoes would have acted the same way. After all we react to stress differently

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

@Biology Lesson I'm in no way implying that JH was depressed or had suicidal thoughts but we can't say for certain how he must have felt deep down

The biggest difference with LSK is they were in different life stages. JH had his military service to shield him a little from continued public scrutiny. He could disappear from the public gaze so to speak. Whereas LSK was still in the thick of what I imagine would have been a long process. Plus he's a father and JH wasn't at the time. When you're younger, you're more tenacious and its easier to imagine starting over. This in no way invalidates the fact that depression and suicides among young people is high. Simply put the stakes are higher in LSK's case

I really don't think this a good discussion to have. Suicide is not a default that people try to find reasons to avoid. It's an outlier. Most people's will to live is far too strong to even consider such a thing. Clearly JH belongs to that majority.

19 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

And I think I have a different impression of the industry than you. Imo they are no more cliquey than HW or BW. At least they are a little better on nepotism but in general I understand that people will cast who they like or want to work with. I don't see it as playing a game

JH going his own path might be a product of him not getting repeat offers from people he's worked with before. His acting might not be to everyone's taste for example. Or it could also be that he's not interested in the sort of content they're making these days. This is consistent with the fact that he's now pitching ideas. Agree that better to wait and see how his plan unfolds

Personally, there are duds in every film industry but I've also seen some great SK shows. I can't fault how JH chooses roles but can't say I've been enamoured with some of the stories. Some people have a knack for picking good stories, have talent, and are also lucky in being favoured by certain producers/ directors. I don't wish to diminish their success by saying they are playing a game, because I don't think they are. Yes popularity and fanservice does play a part. But I'd like to think that some writers / directors / producers see themselves as artists / have a vision and will cast who they think would do justice to their stories

Me talking about the ruthlessness of the Korean entertainment industry has everything to do with the fact that we are talking about JH. I wasn't rating them in comparison to each other. For sure there are many things they have in common. I'm just looking at the relevant one, while infering from what I know about the other industries.

The fact is that  suicide is common in the Korean entertainment world. Especially amongst young people coming into it. The difference that I notice about K entertainment is that the agencies have far more control over the young talent they represent- don't forget them housing their talents together, while paying them very little. Kpop groups are created and cast, not formed organically. Sure, this is based on boy bands from the west, but while the west has moved on, in Korea Kpop is the most popular genre, right? So it's very much alive. For better and for worse.

This hyper control over beautiful young people will result, invariably, in them being taken advantage of. Women and men. Leading to the casting couch. What happened with Epstein essentially brought into light what probably happens in every entertainment industry all over the world- You submit to the powerful producer, you get roles and you get awards. The power structure in the Korean Entertainment world makes them even more vulnerable to this. This is part of playing the game I'm talking about. Another part will be- doing what you are being told. Only those that have had enough successful projects or a very big hit, manage to break away from that game, and are able to exert their own power- for example Brad Pitt being able to threaten Epstein without repercussions. Obviously there are good and decent people in entertainment, but they are not the majority. I'm also not saying that all the successful actors/singers became successful through this system- Jang Hyuk will be one example, though he isn't top tier, and also Jay Park is another example. Succeding in spite of the system or outside of it.

Playing the game or not- it is a fact that the biggest names will get their pick of the best script and will be cast in the biggest productions.

JH is trying to work outside of that by creating his own opportunities, just like he created his own music videos, just to be able to act in them.

• Like 2

@Biology Lesson @YouwinJH So sad what happened to LSK. To me, he was a really good actor and will miss his presence. He had an amazing voice. I still cant process he had to go in this sad way. He was in the first kdrama I watched “Coffee Prince”. Later I enjoyed him in “Miss Korea” and “My Mister”. I was unaware of his recent struggles. Its heartbreaking to see someone who is already suffering from addiction, being pushed by society this way instead of getting help. I heard his wife who is also an actress lost a job because of his situation. May he rest in peace. 

P.S Couldn’t help but feel extra sad since he is from JHs generation. Just to think that no one is safe from being bullied into a deep depression. Im glad JH is trying to carve his own path and hopefully he finds one that is less dependent on just Korea’s acceptance. 

• Like 3

@dramafan33 I also didn't know of his recent struggles. I only started watching Payback yesterday and there's a movie of his on Netflix that's about to be removed so I started it. I've also seen him in Parasite and the prosecutor show he had with the lady from WoL. Can't say I stanned him but I defo liked the stuff I've seen from him. His voice was so unique - reminds me of Matthew MacFadyen's. The son in law from Succession in case you're wondering. Also, I didn't even know LSK by name. Was browsing Twitter and saw his name was trending and then found out. It really saddened me that he felt he had no other options. It took me back to when Jonghyun from Shinee did the same and it was also around this time of the year. Those last CCTV images of him just out / seeking something are haunting. I can only imagine the same loneliness / estrangement LSK may have felt in those final moments

I do agree that suicide is an outlier for the most part but for some cultures it isn't. And we are more susceptible than not if the conditions are there. That's why I don't take depression lightly

@Biology Lesson for sure there is a seedier part to the entertainment industry. There was this huge scandal some years back and culturally they still have work to do with things like bullying and misogyny. I wasn't talking about that but I see your point

For better or worse, JH is still part of that industry and now that I'm branching out by watching more stuff, whenever I see a show or character I like, I can't help thinking if only JH was offered something like this. I don't particularly think he would mind being in demand etc but I also appreciate he is not prone to wallowing in self pity and is a proactive / go-getter type. I noticed he's following some motivational IG pages that post daily words of wisdom / inspiration. Whatever helps really. With his family being away and him being a workaholic without work (not that we know of!), I do think about these things sometimes...again not implying there's anything to worry about

• Like 3

17 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

I was shocked to read the news about him too! I just watched his movie "Sleep" the night before...I like his dramas Pasta and Mister.. Such sad news..:tears:

17 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

My current fave is Gyeongseong Creature and I'm really enjoying Park Seo joon in this. I would have loved to see JH as one of the baddies - the one doing the experiments - although the current actors are also good.

I just finished watching that too! Waiting for the 2nd part. It reminded me of Sweet Home season 1 which I thought was slightly more interesting and exciting for me. (Sweet Home season 2 was no good)  But Gyeongseong Creature is still one of the few dramas that I didn't drop halfway. My fav is still "Moving" for the character development. Even the antagonists' backstories are well done.

• Like 3

@azureblue7 I liked Moving too but mostly for the action. I thought it had pretty realistic fight scenes for a show about people with superpowers. They were messy / bloody instead of the sleek and highly CGI stuff we get from HW. They fight like how I imagine ordinary, untrained people with superpowers would fight. The only fight scenes I didn't like were the ones with Jo Insung because I found them too sleek, zippy and precise

As for the storyline, the first few episodes with the high schoolers dragged a bit. The world building - mostly backstory we got about the leads was decent - but I honestly didn't care enough for the characters even though it was a pretty sentimental show. I did appreciate that the baddies were not one-dimensional. That said, it didn't move me :hwaiting2:

Altogether it was a decent watch and one I wouldn't have minded JH being part of. My fave actor on it was the old guy who was the director of the agency. I remember him from Vagabond and thought he was really good in this

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, YouwinJH said:

@azureblue7 I liked Moving too but mostly for the action. I thought it had pretty realistic fight scenes for a show about people with superpowers. They were messy / bloody instead of the sleek and highly CGI stuff we get from HW. They fight like how I imagine ordinary, untrained people with superpowers would fight. The only fight scenes I didn't like were the ones with Jo Insung because I found them too sleek, zippy and precise

As for the storyline, the first few episodes with the high schoolers dragged a bit. The world building - mostly backstory we got about the leads was decent - but I honestly didn't care enough for the characters even though it was a pretty sentimental show. I did appreciate that the baddies were not one-dimensional. That said, it didn't move me :hwaiting2:

Altogether it was a decent watch and one I wouldn't have minded JH being part of. My fave actor on it was the old guy who was the director of the agency. I remember him from Vagabond and thought he was really good in this

Same here. Didn't like the fight scenes with JIS too. But his love story is quite well written for a superhero show.

Was kind of hoping JH would be asked to be part of Season 2.  Just missing  him appearing in a drama. Bloody Heart seemed like a long time ago..oops.. I forgot about Family...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

28 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Same here. Didn't like the fight scenes with JIS too. But his love story is quite well written for a superhero show.

Was kind of hoping JH would be asked to be part of Season 2.  Just missing  him appearing in a drama. Bloody Heart seemed like a long time ago..oops.. I forgot about Family...

Hahaha! To be fair it was pretty forgettable so I don't blame you at all

Will be on the lookout for JNR's next starting this Saturday just to take notes on how much better it will be story wise though from the previews it seems overly dramatic for my taste. I suspect it will be something like The Glory (in terms of her past trauma) though I haven't seen that show. I will roll my eyes if they go for something as underwhelming and pedantic as her husband having an affair with her friend

33 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Yep Moving did have more depth than your standard superhero show - movies because I haven't watched that many superhero shows at least not the ones on Disneyplus

• Like 3

5 hours ago, YouwinJH said:

Hahaha! To be fair it was pretty forgettable so I don't blame you at all

Will be on the lookout for JNR's next starting this Saturday just to take notes on how much better it will be story wise though from the previews it seems overly dramatic for my taste. I suspect it will be something like The Glory (in terms of her past trauma) though I haven't seen that show. I will roll my eyes if they go for something as underwhelming and pedantic as her husband having an affair with her friend

I actually watched The Glory and liked it. The Bullying scenes were a bit too graphic for me, almost gratuitous, so I FF through them, but I did like the rest. Essentially, a good and satisfying revenge story, with good actors all around. I will say that the main love story was baffling to me, didn't feel necesary. No chemistry. no heat. Then again, can't imagine the lead actress creating heat with anyone. Very pretty, but frosty.

• Like 2