Lee Jung-Jae 이정재 [Movie “Hunt” | Upcoming: Star Wars series “The Acolyte” (Disney+)]

Helena

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/398_318392.html

'Squid Game' actor appears at LA event with Daesang Group vice chairwoman

By Yoon Ja-young | 2021-11-08

spacer.png
Lee Jung-jae arrives at the LACMA Art + Film Gala at Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles, Nov. 6. AP-Yonhap

Actor Lee Jung-jae, who stars in the global hit Netflix original series, "Squid Game," was in the spotlight at an art and film event held in Los Angeles, appearing with Lim Se-ryung, who is the vice chairwoman of the Korean condiment and food manufacturing conglomerate, Daesang Group. The couple have been in a relationship for seven years. 

The 49-year-old actor attended the LACMA Art+Film Gala held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in Los Angeles, Nov. 6. The annual event, supported by the luxury brand, Gucci, aims to honor artists who have contributed to the development of modern and visual art. Among the participants this year were the other Korean actors of "Squid Game," Lee Byung-hun and Park Hae-soo, as well as its director, Hwang Dong-hyuk. The other Korean actors, Kang Dong-won and Jung Woo-sung, as well as film director Steven Spielberg and artist Amy Sherald, were also in attendance at the event. 

spacer.png
This combination of file photos shows Daesang Group vice chairwoman Lim Se-ryung, left, and actor Lee Jung-jae. Korea Times file

In a photo released by an overseas media outlet, Lee, in a white tuxedo, posed with Lim along with LACMA trustee Eva Chow and Gucci CEO Marco Bizzarri. Lee and Lim attended the LACMA event in 2018 and 2019 as well.

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The couple made public that they are dating in January 2015 after their romance was revealed by local tabloid Dispatch. 

The 44-year-old Lim is the eldest of the two daughters of Daesang Group's honorary chairman, Lim Chang-wook. She had previously married Samsung Electronics vice chairman Lee Jae-yong, the only son of the late Samsung Group Chairman Lee Kun-hee, in 1998, when she was studying business administration at Yonsei University in Seoul. The couple, however, divorced in 2009 after Lim filed a divorce suit. They have two children, whom they reportedly agreed take joint custody of. She started working in the management of her father's business at that time.

• Like 1

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006526946
[SBS Star] VIDEO: Lee Jung Jae Wows Everyone with His Fluent English

By Lee Narin  | 2021.11.08 18:22

spacer.png

Actor Lee Jung Jae's English fluency is making many surprised.   On November 5, Lee Jung Jae updated his Instagram with a new video.  Through the video, Lee Jung Jae thanked 'Squid Game' fans for their endless love and support for the series.  

As Lee Jung Jae walked about outside, he held up his camera in his hand then said, "Hi, everyone. It's me, JJ, 456."  The actor continued, "Thank you so much for your amazing love and support."  He added, "I'm so honored for the 'Gotham' nominations. I truly hope to see all of you in person very soon. Thank you. Bless you!"

Spoiler

spacer.png

As Lee Jung Jae spoke, he did not even stop and think of what to say next; his words definitely did not look memorized.  His English speaking skills have never really been revealed in the past, so many were surprised that he was this fluent in English.  After watching this video, fans left comments such as, "Oh, wow. He's already ready to go to Hollywood!", "I had no idea his English was fluent!", "When did you become so fluent in English, oppa?!" and so on.  

Recently, Netflix's international hit series 'Squid Game', starring Lee Jung Jae, was nominated in two categories at an annual American film awards '2021 Gotham Awards'.  It was listed in the section of 'Breakthrough Series ― Long Format', and Lee Jung Jae became one of the candidates for 'Outstanding Performance in a New Series'.  

(Credit= 'from_jjlee' Instagram, Netflix Korea)  
(SBS Star)   

• Like 1

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006528030
[SBS Star] VIDEO: Lee Jung Jae Tells the 'Squid Game' Director, "You Must Make the Second Season!"

Lee Narin  | 2021.11.09

spacer.png

Actor Lee Jung Jae hoped for the second season of 'Squid Game'.  

On November 8, Lee Jung Jae's management agency Artist Company uploaded a new video on their YouTube channel.   The video showed Lee Jung Jae sitting down to discuss his international hit series 'Squid Game' that premiered on September 17.  

Spoiler

spacer.png

Lee Jung Jae said, "While we were filming 'Squid Game', we actually asked the director whether he plans to make the second season."  The actor resumed, "At that time, he told us, 'I put so much effort into making 'Squid Game'. I pretty much put everything into it, so I don't think it'll be easy for me to stretch this further.'"  

He continued, "But we're not in the same situation as then. 'Squid Game' is more loved than any of us had expected that we have to repay them somehow. I think 'Squid Game 2' will be one way to do that."  He laughed, then commented, "Director Hwang Dong-hyuk. I don't think you have any choice now. You must make the second season of 'Squid Game'!"  

'Squid Game' is about 456 cash-strapped people competing in children's games to win a ton of cash after accepting a strange invitation.   Currently, 'Squid Game' is one of the most-watched as well as most-talked-about series around the world.  

(Credit= 'ArtistCompany 아티스트컴퍼니' YouTube, Netflix Korea)  
(SBS Star)     

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10181029/Squid-Game-cracks-America-cast-attend-special-LA-screening-Netflix-smash.html
Squid fame: Co-stars Jung Ho-yeon, Lee Jung-jae and Park Hae-soo get a Hollywood welcome as they attend special LA screening of Netflix smash

By JASON CHESTER FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 03:59 EST, 9 November 2021 | UPDATED: 04:54 EST, 9 November 2021

There wasn't a grubby tracksuit in sight on Monday evening as the cast of Squid Game attended a special screening of the Netflix show in Hollywood.

Principal stars Jung Ho-yeon, Lee Jung-jae and Park Hae-soo were in attendance as the nine-episode series was celebrated at Los Angeles based workspace NeueHouse.

spacer.png
Your number's up: (L-R) Squid Game stars Park Hae Soo, Jung Ho-yeon and Lee Jung-jae attend a screening of the hit Netflix show in Los Angeles on Monday evening

Spoiler

spacer.png
Lee Jung-jae at Los Angeles based workspace NeueHouse

spacer.png
Say cheese: (L-R) Lee Jung-jae, Jung Ho-yeon, Squid Game writer and director Hwang Dong-hyuk and Park Hae Soo

spacer.png

Here they come: The show's popularity was evident as they cast took centre stage on Monday evening

spacer.png
Pals: But Lee Jung-jae and Park Hae Soo become fierce rivals as they compete for a cash prize in Squid Game

spacer.png

Popular: The cast drew quite a crowd as they celebrated the international success of Squid Game

spacer.png

Big hit: Lee Jung-jae and director Hwang Dong-hyuk discussed its incredible popularity with waiting journalists

spacer.png

In the spotlight: (L-R) Lee Jung-jae, Jung Ho-yeon, Hwang Dong-hyuk and Park Hae Soo

spacer.png

Strike a pose: (L-R) Park Hae Soo, Hwang Dong-hyuk, Jung Ho-yeon, Kim Ji-yeon and Lee Jung-jae

=>more coverage: justjared | 

———

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/squid-game-director-predicts-second-season-megahit-tv-show-2021-11-09/
'Squid Game' director predicts second season of megahit TV Show

November 9, 2021

spacer.png
Director Hwang Dong-hyuk attends a special event for the television series Squid Game in Los Angeles, California, U.S. November 8, 2021. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

LOS ANGELES, Nov 9 (Reuters) - The director of "Squid Game," the dystopic South Korean TV series on Netflix (NFLX.O), expressed confidence that the wildly popular show will return for a second season.

"We are in the talks for Season Two," writer-director Hwang Dong-hyuk said in an interview on Monday. "It's all in my head. I have the basic storyline, the broad plan, so we're in the brainstorming stages.

"I'm going to go ahead and say there will be a second season, but as for when, I cannot tell you now," Hwang added.

"He will come back, he will come back and do something about this world," the director said, referring to protagonist Seong Gi-hun, played by actor Lee Jung-Jae.

Hwang, Lee and others involved in the show, one of Netflix's biggest hits ever, attended a special Hollywood screening on Monday to celebrate its success.

"Squid Game," in which debt-ridden people compete in a deadly game for a fortune, has inspired Halloween costumes and themed protests at the United Nations global climate summit in Glasgow, Scotland, among other things.

"It feels so surreal," Hwang said of his creation's impact. "It's almost like I myself am living in a fantastical world."

"I just can't believe this is happening," actor Lee said. "I did not know or ever imagined it would make it this big. I didn't ever think we would get this much love, so being here and standing in front of you, everything, I just feel so grateful."

The series' success echoes that of 2020 Oscar winner "Parasite," which also showed the gap between rich and poor in South Korea.

Actor Park Hae-soo, who plays a contestant named Cho Sang-woo, said, "Everybody actually has that rage, but I think the Koreans are really able to express that honestly."

Reporting by Rollo Ross; Writing by Jonathan Oatis; Editing by Karishma Singh

https://apnews.com/article/lee-jung-arts-and-entertainment-2b966f831bf6bab8366f3c384179dd93
Get ready for more games: ‘Squid Game’ readies for Season 2

By MARCELA ISAZA

spacer.png
From left, Lee Jung-jae, Jung Hoyeon, Hwang Dong-hyuk and Park Hae Soo arrive at a red carpet event for "Squid Game" on Monday, Nov. 8, 2021, at NeueHouse Hollywood in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

Spoiler

spacer.png
Cast members Lee Jung-jae, left, and Park Hae Soo arrive at a red carpet event for "Squid Game" on Monday, Nov. 8, 2021, 2021, at NeueHouse Hollywood in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

spacer.png
From left, cast members Lee Jung-jae, Jung Hoyeon and Park Hae Soo arrive at a red carpet event for "Squid Game" on Monday, Nov. 8, 2021, at NeueHouse Hollywood in Los Angeles. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It’s official, the Netflix TV series “Squid Game” will be back for a season two, even though most TV shows in South Korea run for just one season. But due to the show’s global success, its creator and director said, “I almost feel like you leave us no choice.”

“There’s been so much pressure, so much demand and so much love for a second season,” Hwang Dong-hyuk said at a red-carpet celebration for the show Monday night.

“It’s in my head right now. I’m in the planning process currently. But I do think it’s too early to say when and how that’s going to happen. So I will promise you this, Gi-hun will be back and he’ll do something for the world,” explained Hwang.

The series, starring Lee Jung-jae as Seong Gi-hun and others in the ensemble cast, centers on people who are so desperate for money that they agree to take part in a series of schoolyard games with a deadly twist.

The dystopian survival drama from South Korea is said to have become Netflix’s biggest-ever TV show. With that success has come global recognition for its stars.

Model-turned-actress Jung Ho-yeon is used to traveling for the fashion world. But this time when she flew from Korea to Los Angeles, she met her first fan at the airport, an immigration officer who asked her for her autograph.

Actor Park Hae-soo, who plays Jo Sang-woo in the series, said he “made the big decision” to start an Instagram account.  “Now I really wanted to communicate with the world and everybody, so I started my Instagram account,” said Park.

It's official, Netflix TV series "Squid Game" will be back for season two. At an event celebrating the show in Los Angeles, creator Hwang Dong-hyuk says, "I almost feel like you leave us no choice!" (Nov. 9)

The lead actor, Lee Jung-jae has been working in Korea for over 25 years. Now his life has changed because he’s also recognized on the streets of America.  “That’s amazing, right? People just go around and say hello,” said Lee. “So I really don’t know how to respond to all the love. It’s so great to be able to meet the fans who have loved and watched the show so much.”

The cast and creator all have dreams of working in a Hollywood production someday with Jung jokingly calling out, “Hey guys, call our agent!”

Actors Leonardo DiCaprio & Lee Jung-jae
spacer.png
[ Cr: LJJ’s instagram ]

——

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065572949792313
'Squid Game' marks longest Netflix original contents 1st placer... climbs down to 2nd rank after 46 days

연합뉴스 / 2021-11-10 09:29:32

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Netflix, shows "Squid Game." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Spoiler

spacer.png

▲ This image, provided by Netflix, shows animation series "Arcane." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 10 (Yonhap) -- Global sensational K-contents, Netflix original series “Squid Game” has passed down its 1st place crown after 46 days on the throne.

“Arcane,” an animation produced by Riot Game, has outrun “Squid Game” to top-notch for the world’s TOP 10 Netflix TV programs division, according to “Flix Patrol,” an online ranking site of global contents services on the 9th.

“Squid Game” has become the longest Netflix contents to stay on world’s 1st rank. Its record is 46 consecutive days, from Sep. 23 to Nov. 7, breaking that of “The Queen’s Gambit” which did stay on 1st place for 46 days but by 23 consecutive days.

“Arcane” that has taken over the throne is an animation series of a game “League of Legends” (LoL)’s expanded IP.

It shows the history of the game’s characters Vi, Jinx, Caitlyn, Jayce and Viktor amid a perilous coexistence between rich city “Piltover” and the opposite, underground city “Zaun.”

Meanwhile, “Squid Game”’s cast, Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo and Jung Ho-yeon and creator Hwang Dong-hyuk are continuing global activities attending a recent screening event that took place in Los Angeles U.S (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065580424051467
'Squid Game' reconquers 1st place in 2 days, stays top for 47 days...an unprecedented record

연합뉴스 / 2021-11-11 11:33:07

spacer.png
▲ These photos, provided by Netflix, show Netflix original series "Squid Game." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 11 (Yonhap) -- Netflix’ Korean original series “Squid Game” has recovered its top place throne in 2 days proving its unrivaled popularity as ‘Netflix’ longest 1st ranker.’ 

The series climbed back up to world TOP No. 1 for Netflix TV programs division on the 10th, according to Flix Petrol on Thursday, a ranking site of global online contents service

This is a recovery in 2 days of being dragged to 2nd place by Riot Games’ animation “Arcane.” 

“Squid Game,” after having recorded 46 consecutive days of world 1st placer from Sep. 23 to Nov. 7, has become the first Netflix production to stay on top rank for 47 days. 

The world-series is now running ahead unrivaled, setting aside “The Queen’s Gambit,” which shared the honor of being the longest Netflix 1st placer with “Squid Game” by recording 23 consecutive days and 46 days in total on top rank.

Meanwhile, “Squid Games” exceeded 17 billion YouTube views and became the world’s most viewed video breaking HBO’s popular drama “Game of Thrones”’ 10-year-invested record (16.9 billion views) in just about 2 months. (END)

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211111001500315
YouTube content of 'Squid Game' outnumbers 'Game of Thrones'

By 김보람 (brk@yna.co.kr) | November 11, 2021

spacer.png
This image provided by Netflix shows a scene from "Squid Game." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

spacer.png
This image captured from Variety's news report shows a chart from Vobile. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 11 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean phenomenon "Squid Game" has outnumbered the longtime TV powerhouse "Game of Thrones" in terms of combined YouTube views of its derivative video content, a U.S. media outlet has reported.

A total of 129,000 videos of the survival drama, including official trailers, fan-made reaction clips and video games, have earned a total of 17 billion views on the platform since the show's release on Sept. 17, Variety said Wednesday (U.S. time), citing a report by content analytics firm Vobile.

Those "Squid Game" YouTube videos had a combined 533 million engagements -- likes, dislikes and comments -- over the nearly eight-week period.

In comparison, the American fantasy drama series "Game of Thrones," which premiered in 2011 on HBO, posted a combined 16.9 billion views from 420,000 uploaded YouTube videos, with an estimated 233 million engagements, according to the report.

Variety said HBO's juggernaut "Game of Thrones" is crushed by "Squid Game," which "saturates global culture and streaming charts, and YouTube is no exception."

Since its release, "Squid Game" has become a global sensation and Netflix's most-viewed original series of all time, with more than 140 million households viewing the show in its first four weeks.

Director-writer Hwang Dong-hyuk confirmed Tuesday that he will work on the second season of the show to meet global demand.

"Squid Game" features a mysterious competition where hundreds of people desperately play kids' games at the risk of their lives with hopes of winning 45.6 billion won (US$38.5 million) in prize money. (END)

https://www.lofficielusa.com/fashion/squid-game-star-lee-jung-jae-named-gucci-global-ambassador
'Squid Game' Star Lee Jung-Jae Named Gucci Global Ambassador

Alessandro Michele "green-lights" Lee Jung-Jae to join his roster of all-star ambassadors.

11.11.2021 by Alexis Schwartz

Lee Jung-Jae joins his Squid Game co-star, HoYeon Jung, in luxury fashion house ambassadorship. Lee's newest gig at Gucci is just the latest big-win for the Korean actor, after his global break-out role in Squid Game earlier this fall.

"Lee Jung-Jae's charismatic and iconic style and a strong self-identity is similar to Gucci's philosophy that values acceptance of diversity and self-expression," Gucci said in a press release.

Lee, already a known figure in Korean television previously starred in New World and Deliver Us from Evil; he will make his directorial debut in the upcoming feature film Hunt.

We can't wait to see what projects Lee and Alessandro Michele will come up with.

~~~

=>gucci Jungjae Lee @from_jjlee joins Gucci as new global brand ambassador. The actor appears in a portfolio of images shot by photographer Janghyun Hong @hongjanghyun wearing a selection of #GucciAria looks and accessories. @alessandro_michele #AlessandroMichele #GucciTailoring

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

=>gucci Gucci welcomes actor Jungjae Lee @from_jjlee—seen here wearing #GucciAria—as new global brand ambassador. @alessandro_michele #AlessandroMichele #GucciTailoring

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

=> gucci Joining Gucci as new global brand ambassador is Jungjae Lee @from_jjlee—seen here wearing a velvet suit from #GucciAria. @alessandro_michele #AlessandroMichele #GucciTailoring

spacer.png

https://zapzee.net/2021/11/11/a-reporter-almost-ruined-lee-jung-jaes-big-moment-by-asking-a-strange-question/
A Reporter Almost Ruined Lee Jung Jae’s Big Moment by Asking a Strange Question

by Esther Lee

spacer.png
Credit: NBC Extra TV

An American media outlet is being called out for conducting a rude, unprofessional interview with Squid Game star Lee Jung Jae.

Lee Jung Jae, along with director Hwang Dong Hyuk, Park Hae Soo, and Jung Ho Yeon attended the Squid Game screening held in Los Angeles on the 8th.

At the event, an NBC Extra TV reporter exclaimed, “I’m sure you can’t leave the house anymore without people recognizing you. What has been the biggest life change for you since the series came out?”

Lee Jung Jae answered “The biggest change has to be how I’m recognized by everybody everywhere, specifically in the United States. And when I see people staring at me, I sometimes think ‘Why are they looking at me?’ but realize why once I lock eyes and they mention Squid Game.”

Some are criticizing the reporter, “not only did she fail to conduct any prior research on the actor, but this interview revealed her American-centered way of thinking.” Netizens added, “If it was Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt who hit new milestones with a movie, she probably wouldn’t have asked ‘What has changed in your life as a result of the massive popularity you’re experiencing?’ as she did with Lee Jung Jae.”

Lee Jung Jae is a well-known A-list actor in Korea, but the fact that the reporter didn’t do any research on him and assumed that he was an unknown actor prior to the global phenomenon of Squid Game is being seen as disrespectful.

The reporter is being criticized for being rude and Lee Jung Jae was applauded for emphasizing that this experience is new for him just in the United States, as he has already established himself back in his homeland.

Watch the interview below.

Source (1)
Translator Esther Lee: I’ll be providing you with up-to-date, reliable Korean entertainment news. Enjoy!

Spoiler

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006530915
[SBS Star] Lee Jung Jae Responds to an American Reporter Assuming He Was Not Big Before 'Squid Game'

By Lee Narin  | 2021.11.11 14:41

spacer.png

Actor Lee Jung Jae sensibly responded to an American reporter who assumed he was not big before 'Squid Game'.  

On November 10, one media outlet in the U.S. shared an interview of Lee Jung Jae online.  In the video, Lee Jung Jae was being interviewed at the LACMA Art+Film Gala at Los Angeles Music of Art where he was invited for his mega-hit series 'Squid Game'.  

spacer.png

Prior to the event, one American reporter said to Lee Jung Jae, "I'm sure you can't leave the house anymore without people recognizing you. What has been the biggest life changes for you since the series?"  Lee Jung Jae smiled and answered, "Yeah, you are right, indeed. The biggest change has to be that I'm so recognized by everybody everywhere."  Then, he added, "That is, in the United States, I mean.", indirectly mentioning that it was not the case in Korea.

The actor continued, "When I go to restaurants, out on the streets, I get recognized by so many people. Sometimes, when they are staring at me, I get startled and think, 'Why are they looking at me like that?'"  He resumed, "But then when our eyes meet, they would instantly talk about 'Squid Game'. Those are the moments when I truly feel like we really did make it big." 

Lee Jung Jae initially made debut as a commercial model in 1993, then slowly worked his way up to one of the top actors in Korea.   He was already a superstar in Korea years before 'Squid Game'.   The reporter's assumptions that his fame not being present before 'Squid Game' may have somewhat bothered Lee Jung Jae, but he did not show that at all.   Through his answer, he clarified that he did not wake up to find himself suddenly famous.   He also made sure the reporter did not feel awkward for asking such a question while answering her question that many are giving him the thumbs up for being so sensible.  

(Credit= 'extratv' YouTube)  
(SBS Star)    

https://zapzee.net/2021/11/11/squid-game-continues-its-record-breaking-streak-both-on-netflix-and-youtube/
‘Squid Game’ on Youtube Eclipsed ‘Game of Thrones’ with 17 Billion Views

by krishkim | images: Vobile

Netflix’s global hit series ‘Squid Game‘ continues to boast its record-breaking streak. It became the series ranked at No. 1 for the longest time on Netflix and the most-viewed series on YouTube.

According to content ranking site FlixPatrol, Squid Game ranked first in Netflix’s TV category for the 47th day. With this, the addictive series overtook The Queen’s Gambit (46 days) to become the series that stayed at the top spot for the longest time.

Especially, the fact that the show has reclaimed the top spot after being dethroned by Arcane has proved its global influence.

On the same day, Squid Game also became the most viewed series on YouTube. The Netflix original has eclipsed Game of Thrones on the platform to earn 17 billion views, content analytics firm Vobile says.

spacer.png

spacer.png

According to their new report, this astonishing number comes from numerous types of video content, including official trailers and clips from the series, fan recreations. Vobile estimated that the 17 billion views have come from 131,000 videos. These videos also count 533 million engagements (likes, dislikes, and comments). This record beats out Game of Thrones, which has 16.9 billion views from 420,000 videos with about 233 million engagements. This is even more impressive in that Game of Thrones had almost a decade to amass its fanbase as opposed to Squid Game‘s eight weeks of fad.

Variety reported the feat with the title, “Squid Game‘s YouTube video content crushes Game of Thrones with 17 billion views.” They then wrote, “The addictive series Squid Game continues to saturate global culture and streaming charts, and YouTube is no exception.”

Source (1, 2)
Translator Kim Hoyeun: If you are a fan of K-drama, K-movie, and K-pop, I am your guy. I will continue to provide you with up-to-date K-entertainment news.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211112003600315
'Squid Game' emerges as big contender in upcoming year-end awards season in U.S.

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | November 12, 2021

spacer.png
A teaser image of "Squid Game" by Netflix (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 12 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean breakout hit "Squid Game" has emerged as a big contender in the U.S. year-end awards season, possibly to become the first Korean-made TV series winning a trophy at prestigious awards ceremonies.

Starting in late fall, the highly competitive race for great TV shows and movies of the year is the biggest celebration for the U.S. entertainment industry eying for the Emmys and Oscars next year.

In the past two years, the American awards season unprecedentedly caught the eyes of Korean people, as Bong Joon-ho's "Parasite" swept the awards-positioning fall film festivals and the eventual Academy Awards and Youn Yuh-jung of "Minari" brought home the first acting Oscar.

This year, Netflix's Korean-language original "Squid Game" will be the next player that will gain huge attention not only from Korea but from all over the world.

spacer.png
In this AFP and Getty Images photo, actors Lee Jung-jae (L), Jung Ho-yeon (2nd from L), director Hwang Dong-hyuk (2nd from R) and actor Park Hae-soo (R) of "Squid Game" attend a special screening event in Los Angeles on Nov. 8, 2021. (Yonhap)

Written and directed by Hwang Dong-hyuk, the nine-part series about contestants competing in deadly Korean children's playground games to win 45.6 billion won (US$38.5 million) in prize money became a global phenomenon, as it was viewed by a record 142 million households over the first four weeks of its release on Sept. 17.

Last month, the organizers of the 2021 Gotham Awards nominated the Korean-language Netflix original drama "Squid Game" for two categories -- Breakthrough Series - Long Format (over 40 minutes) and Outstanding Performance in a New Series for its lead Lee Jung-jae.

The awards for lower budget films and TV series are considered the beginning of the harvest season, and its winners are dubbed key precursors for subsequent awards shows.

Since then, U.S. media outlets have increased the odds of "Squid Game" winning a good number of recognitions in big-name accolades, including the Critics Choice Awards and the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Awards.

spacer.png
This image provided by Netflix shows a scene from "Squid Game."

According to Gold Derby, an American awards prediction website, "Squid Game" has been included in its top five candidates for the SAG Awards TV drama ensemble prize, along with HBO's black comedy "Succession," Apple TV+'s drama "The Morning Show," Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale" and FX's "Pose."

"If 'Squid Game' makes the final five, a win is definitely not out of the question," said Gold Derby, adding the SAG has given its top prizes in TV and film to popular hits of the year, such as "Grey's Anatomy."

It will be the first Korean-language TV series to compete for the award given by U.S. actors if "Squid Game" gets nominated for SAG's top best ensemble prize, or officially Outstanding Performance by a Cast.

The cast of the Oscar-winning "Parasite" (2019) clinched the SAG's top prize for film, while Youn Yuh-jung won Outstanding Performance By a Female Actor in a Supporting Role for her performance in the immigration film "Minari" (2020).

The nominations list of the SAG Awards will be announced on Jan. 12, with the award ceremony set for Feb. 27.
IndieWire also forecast the Korean drama will get a berth for the Producers Guild of America (PGA) Awards and the Critics Choice Awards, adding Netflix has confirmed the show will compete in Drama Series categories, not Limited Series, at upcoming awards shows, including next year's Emmys.

Against this backdrop, the U.S. streaming giant is moving fast to ride on the industry-wide expectations for its global sensation "Squid Game."

Netflix held a special event for screening of the series for industry people in Hollywood on Monday, along with creator Hwang and actors Lee, Park Hae-soo and Jung Ho-yeon. On the event's red carpet, Hwang confirmed the popular series will return for a second season.

The race of "Squid Game" will start with the Gotham Awards announcing the winners on Nov. 29. 
(END)

https://deadline.com/2021/11/squid-game-hollywood-agencies-chase-creator-stars-netflix-mega-hit-hwang-dong-hyuk-lee-jung-jae-jung-hoyeon-and-park-hae-soo-1234873099/
‘Squid Game’ Triggers Feeding Frenzy As Hollywood Agencies Chase Creator & Stars Of Netflix Mega Hit

By Nellie Andreeva | November 12, 2021

spacer.png
(L-R) Lee Jung-jae, Jung Hoyeon, Hwang Dong-hyuk and Park Hae-Soo
Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP

spacer.png
‘Squid Game’
Netflix

The phenomenal success of Netflix’s Squid Game came seemingly out of nowhere, catapulting its writer-director, Hwang Dong-hyuk, and cast to global stardom and making them the hottest commodity in Hollywood. That has created a stampede among the major agencies to sign Hwang and the actors, the vast majority of whom have no Hollywood representation.

That includes Hwang who recently met with the heads of the major talent agencies, CAA (soon-to-be-merged with ICM), WME and UTA, sources said. He is said to still be mulling who to sign with. The cast, led by Lee Jung-jae, Jung HoYeon and Park Hae-soo, also have been taking agency/management meetings this week, sources said.

Hwang and the actors are all in town; they flew in for the big press junket Netflix held for the show on Monday following its breakout success.

Signing the show’s creator and stars would be very lucrative as Netflix is looking to do a second season, which Hwang confirmed is coming on the red carpet at the Monday event. Season 1 was made on a modest budget, reportedly $2.4 million per episode ($21.4 million in total), while projected to generate $900 million value for the streamer, according to data cited by Bloomberg.

The cast and Hwang had no-frills contracts typical for local-language Netflix productions.

“I’m not that rich,” Hwang recently told The Guardian. “But I do have enough. I have enough to put food on the table. And it’s not like Netflix is paying me a bonus. Netflix paid me according to the original contract.”

That is all expected to change, with top Hollywood agents stepping in to negotiate big raises for the creator and stars in their contracts for Season 2. Additionally, the actors’ and creator’s new Hollywood reps will try to capitalize on the success of Squid Game to line up feature and other opportunities for them.

The cast of the series also includes Wi Ha-Joon, Oh Yeong-su, Heo Sung-tae, Anupam Tripathi, Greg Chun and Kim Joo-Ryung.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/squid-game-netflix-panel-event-season-two-1235046031/

From Dinner With Ted Sarandos to Rubbing Elbows With Leonardo DiCaprio: Inside ‘Squid Game’ Stars’ Hollywood Takeover

"Two waitresses actually recognized me and gave me free dessert," says series creator Hwang Dong-hyuk of his most memorable L.A. moment.

BY CHRIS GARDNER | NOVEMBER 12, 2021

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065574742907211
'Squid Game''s Lee Jung-jae directed, led and produced film 'Hunt' to be released

연합뉴스 / 2021-11-15 09:59:08

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Mega Box Plus M, shows the production crew for "Hunt" having finished shooting the film. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 15 (Yonhap) -- Actor Lee Jung-jae’s first directing film, “Hunt,” has recently finished its 6 months of shooting, distributor Mega Box Plus M announced Monday.

The film shows NIS agents Park Pyeong-ho and Kim Jung-do encountering a heavy truth while chasing after the head of the North Korean spies sent to the South. Lee directed, produced and played the lead role for the spy-action film.

Lee plays Park Pyeong-ho (assistant manager of NIS Team 1) and actor Jung Woo-sung plays Park Pyeong-ho’s rival, Kim Jung-do (assistant manager of NIS Team 2). This is their long awaited collaboration after “City of the Rising Sun” (1999) 22 years ago.

Actress Jeon Hye-jin plays Park Pyeong-ho’s assistant, actor Heo Sung-tae took the role of an agent of Kim Jung-do’s team and actress Go Youn-jung has taken part as a student who gets caught up in a huge incident.

“I sincerely thank all the staff who gave a big help thinking thoroughly over how we could possibly improve the scenes. We will strive to present a great film to the audiences waiting for and looking forward to ‘Hunt,’” said director-actor Lee.

“The shooting took about 100 times, but I don’t even know how those times have passed. The production is a personally meaningful piece as well in that I and Lee are appearing in the same work after ‘City of the Rising Sun.’ We hope for a lot of anticipation and attention,” said Jung. (END)

[Source: sports.chosun]

Top left:  Best New Actor for 'Young Man' (16th Blue Dragon Film Awards; 1995)

Top right:  Best Actor for ‘City of the Rising Sun’ (20th Blue Dragon Film Awards; 1999)
spacer.png

With best friend Jung Woo-sung at Blue Dragon Film Awards (2008 & 2013)

spacer.png

English subbed clips from ArtistCompany Official Youtube Channel

Additional Subbed clips

Spoiler

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211117004700315
'Squid Game' becomes most-watched Netflix show with record 1.65 bln hours

By brk@yna.co.kr | November 17, 2021

spacer.png
▲ This image provided by Netflix shows a scene from "Squid Game." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 17 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean sensation "Squid Game" has posted a total of 1.65 billion hours of streaming in the first four weeks of release, becoming the most-watched Netflix content of all time.

Netflix on Tuesday (U.S time) released the global top 10 lists of films and TV shows based on hours viewed in their respective first 28 days on its platform.  "Squid Game" topped the non-English popular TV show list with an aggregate 1.65 billion hours of viewing over the first four weeks following its premiere on Sept. 17. It is equivalent to 188,400 years in total.

Earlier, Netflix said about 142 million households had watched the dystopian series over the cited period.

Its total viewing hours far outnumbered that of other Netflix hits, including the period romance drama "Bridgerton" Season 1, which placed No. 1 on the English-language popular TV show table with a total of 625 million viewing hours.  The Spanish crime drama "Money Heist: Part 4" placed second on the non-English TV show rankings, generating 619 million hours of viewing.

On the film's side for both English and non-English titles, the American horror thriller "Bird Box" (2018) and the British-German action horror film "Blood Red Sky" (2021) ranked first with 282 million hours and 110.5 million hours, respectively.

Meanwhile, Netflix also unveiled a list of its most-watched content on a weekly basis.  For the week from Nov. 8-14, four Korean-made series made the top 10 of the popular non-English TV show list, led by "Squid Game" with 42.7 million hours viewed.  The historical romance "The King's Affection" came in second with 14.1 million hours, and the romantic comedy "Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha" finished third with 13.8 million hours. The crime thriller "My Name" was viewed for 10.8 million hours over the one-week period to place fifth.

It is the first time that Netflix released the new all-time show rankings based on aggregate viewing hours.  Previously, the company has occasionally reported the number of households that stream a given title for at least two minutes. (END)

https://zapzee.net/2021/11/17/elle-fanning-bonds-with-leonardo-dicaprio-over-squid-game/
Elle Fanning Bonds With Leonardo DiCaprio Over ‘Squid Game’

by Esther Lee

spacer.png
Credit: Lee Jung Jae Instagram

Elle Fanning appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! and talked about how she came across the Squid Game stars at the LACMA Art+Film Gala.

As a huge fan, Fanning said, “The cast of Squid Game was there. So, I was like, ‘I’m getting a selfie with the Squid Game cast.’ I was so excited because I’m a huge fan. They are such great actors. Luckily, in the end, I did get a selfie with them.” She continued, “Camilla Morrone (Leonardo DiCaprio’s girlfriend) and I were freaking out and Leo was like ‘Guys, act cool. Relax.’ And when we were like ‘But it’s Squid Game!’ It was then when he went like ‘It is? What? Where?’ I could tell he was like excited too.”

In fact, the Squid Game cast has grabbed massive attention at the event. Many Hollywood stars, including Elle Fanning, had approached them first to talk to them or take pictures with them. Even the renowned actor Leonardo DiCaprio took a nice picture with Lee Jung Jae and attracted a great deal of interest.

Previously, the star-studded affair at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art was hosted by Squid Game stars Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hun, Park Hae Soo, director Hwang Dong Hyuk and the CEO of Siren Pictures Kim Ji Yeon.

Watch Elle Fanning’s interview below.

Source (1)
Translator Esther Lee: I’ll be providing you with up-to-date, reliable Korean entertainment news. Enjoy!

Spoiler

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1006537437
[SBS Star] Elle Fanning Shares How Excited Her & Leonardo DiCaprio Were to See 'Squid Game' Cast

Lee Narin | 2021.11.17

spacer.png

American actress Elle Fanning revealed that her and American actor Leonardo DiCaprio were super excited to see the cast of Netflix's mega-hit series 'Squid Game'.  

On November 16, Elle Fanning featured in an American late-night talk show 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'.  During the talk, the host Jimmy Kimmel asked Elle Fanning about her recent LACMA Art+Film Gala attendance, which took place at Los Angeles Music of Art.  Elle Fanning excitedly said, "I'm a huge 'Squid Game' fan. I love 'Squid Game', and the cast of 'Squid Game' was there."  She continued, "So, it was my mission to get a selfie with them. I was so excited. They are such great actors, so good. I managed to get a selfie with them."

Then, Elle Fanning mentioned being friends with American model Camila Morrone, who is Leonardo DiCaprio's long-time girlfriend.  The actress said, "I know Cami well, so I happened to be around Leo for some time. We both love 'Squid Game', and freaked out when we saw the 'Squid Game' cast."   She went on, "It was interesting because Leo was next to us at that time. At first, we were quietly like, 'Guys, be cool, be natural!' But then at one point, we went like, 'Oh my! It's 'Squid Game' cast!'"  She resumed, "Then, Leo's eyes widened, and he was like, 'It is?! Where, where?' He was really excited about seeing them too." 

Following the end of the LACMA Art+Film Gala, Elle Fanning actually uploaded photos that she took with the cast of 'Squid Game' on her Instagram.  Over the photos, the actress wrote, "A highlight of the night."   On that day, 'Squid Game' main actor Lee Jung Jae also shared a photo of himself at the gala with Leonardo DiCarprio.

spacer.png

spacer.png

(Credit= 'ellefanning' 'from_jjlee' Instagram, 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' YouTube)  
(SBS Star)

——

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2021/11/17/2021111701310.html
Fresh Korean Wave Sweeps Japan's Millennials

By Song Hye-jin | November 17, 2021

Another Korean Wave is sweeping through Japan as a new generation settles into maturity and embraces Korean dramas on TV and Netflix.

Today's fans are the children of the housewives who first lapped up the Korean soap opera "Winter Sonata" in 2004, and they grew up with K-pop idol bands like Big Bang and TWICE. Now they are older, they have discovered a taste for anything Korean from dramas and movies to cosmetics, fashion and food.

Unlike their parents' generation, they are less affected by historic squabbles between the two neighbors that inflame elderly patriots on both sides.

Last month, Japanese entertainment media Goal announced that this year's top buzzword was "Squid Game," the dystopian Korean series that took Netflix by storm worldwide. Last year's top buzzword was "Crash Landing on You," a soap about a wealthy heiress who lands in North Korea while hang gliding and falls in love with a military officer. 

spacer.png

Park Ye-eun, a 33-year-old Korean working for a Japanese broadcaster in Tokyo, said, "In the past, only some people talked about Korean TV dramas, but now I hear everyone from new recruits to team directors in their 40s talking about them."

Four out of the top 10 most watched programs on Netflix in Japan as of Tuesday were Korean dramas.

Spoiler

Japanese people who enjoy the shows are also avid consumers of Korean food, fashion and cosmetics. Costco in Tokyo regularly holds Korean food promotions, and sales of CJ Cheiljedang's vinegar-based drink Micho surged from W5 billion in 2015 to W130 billion in 2020 (US$1=W1,181). A CJ Cheiljedang staffer said, "Japanese women started looking for Micho when they saw someone drink water mixed with vinegar on a Korean TV show." 

spacer.png
Shoppers wait to taste Korean food in a superstore in Kanagawa, Japan on Tuesday.

Japanese online retailer Rakuten surveyed the fashion preferences of customers and found that a majority preferred Korean styles.

Due to the renewed Korean Wave in Japan, many companies are rushing to market their products there. Brandi, a shopping platform that started in the Dongdaemun garment market in Seoul, launched services in Japan last month. Japanese clothes retailers can order clothes directly from Dongdaemun merchants.

CJ Olive Young, Korea's No. 1 health and beauty retail chain, also launched Japanese-language services on its website earlier this month, and household and beauty product maker Aekyung opened its own brand corner on Japanese online shopping website Qoo10Japan earlier this month to sell Kerasys hair products and cosmetics.

"Preference for Korean products is spreading in Japan from young customers to those in the middle-aged, middle-income bracket with more purchasing power," an industry insider said.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20211118007400315
Director Hwang Dong-hyuk says 'Squid Game' poses questions about capitalism

By Kim Boram (brk@yna.co.kr) | November 18, 2021

spacer.png
▲ Director Hwang Dong-hyuk is shown in this photo provided by Netflix. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png
▲ These images provided by Netflix show scenes from "Squid Game." (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 18 (Yonhap) -- Hwang Dong-hyuk, the creator of "Squid Game," said Thursday the smash-hit Netflix series was intended to pose questions about modern capitalist society that corners people into extreme competition.

"I thought capitalism has proved its own limitations in the 21st century," Hwang said in an online speech during the SBS D Forum organized by SBS TV. "Everybody faces fiercely competitive situations and they are dragged down to the rock bottom of society if they fail to survive the competition."

In "Squid Game," Gi-hun, played by Lee Jung-jae, the final winner of the deadly contest of heavily debt-ridden people to win 45.6 billion won (US$38.9 million) in prize money, is one of the victims of the capitalist society that made him struggle with business failures, a divorce and heavy indebtedness.

But he does not lose humanity under the life-and-death pressure and the large sum of money, and shows sympathy for weaker participants.

At the end of the ninth and last episode, Gi-hun says by phone to those behind the mysterious competition, "I'm not a horse. I'm a person. That's why I want to know who you people are and how you can commit such atrocities against people." Then, he doesn't get on the plane to see his daughter in the United States, but turns around to leave the airport.

"Through Gi-hun, I kept asking questions, like who made this competition system in our society and who drives us into a corner," said the 50-year old director. "This is the question that I want to ask everybody living in the midst of the pandemic in the 21st century."

In line with his intention to depict capitalism in a realistic way, Hwang said violent scenes that the camera doesn't shy away from, displaying pink soldiers shooting people dead, reflect failures or losers in the competition in dramatic language.

"Violence in the show looks very lifelike, but it is figurative and allegorical," he said. "It mirrors people who run into a dead end after failing to survive the competitive society."

But the violence in "Squid Game," which is rated as an adult-only series on Netflix, has mattered as the show has quickly become one of the most talked about television shows in the world. Many underage students have viewed the show through various channels like YouTube and mimicked some violent challenges.

Some schools in the U.S. have warned parents about its potentially harmful effects or asked them to keep children from accessing the R-rated show.

Hwang admitted that he is already aware of the controversy, asking parents of the children to explain carefully about the meaning of the death and violence.

"If there are teenagers who watched this show, we can discuss current issues of our society with them," Hwang said, citing one of his friends, who has complained of the same trouble. "I hope parents tell their children that the violent scenes have their own message in the show."

"Squid Game" became the most-watched Netflix content of all time, with an aggregate 1.65 billion hours of streaming in the first four weeks of release on Sept. 17.

Last week, Hwang confirmed the popular series will return for a second season. (END)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/squid-game-creator-hwang-dong-hyuk-series-development-1235049995/
‘Squid Game’ Creator Hwang Dong-hyuk Looks Back on Developing the Series
The writer-director of Netflix’s global phenomenon (and most-watched show) reveals the origins of his dystopian satire.

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065598332044628
Music director Jung Jae-il of 'Squid Game' wins prize at Hollywood Music In Media Awards

Spoiler

연합뉴스 / 2021-11-18 16:32:47

spacer.png
▲ This photo, provided by Universal Music Korea, shows music director Jung Jae-il. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Nov. 18 (Yonhap) -- South Korean music director Jung Jae-il won the 2021 Hollywood Music In Media Awards (HMMA) for Netflix's Korean-language original series "Squid Game."

Music director Jung was named the winner of the TV show/Limited Series category at the HMMA held online on Nov. 17 (local time). This is the first time for a Korean to be honored with an award in this ceremony.

HMMA, which marks its 12th anniversary this year, is an award organization that recognizes artists and honors original music in all forms of visual media including movies, TV, and documentaries.

Apart from Netflix's "Squid Game," the other nominees for this year's "TV show/Limited Series" category, included Netflix's "Halston," Disney+'s "Loki," Apple TV+'s "WandaVision," "Physical," and "Ted Lasso."

Director Jung has also participated in music for films "Parasite," "Okja," "The Fortress," "Miss Granny," and "Silenced." Although Jung was a nominee with "Parasite" in 2019, the music composer did not receive an award.

"Thank you for the wonderful award," Jung said. "I will share this honor with music director Kim Sung-soo and composer Park Min-ju who have both worked with me."  (END)

https://variety.com/video/squid-game-success-who-wins-game/
VARIETY STREAMING ROOM: TELEVISION FYC
‘Squid Game’ Cast and Creatives Talk Series’ Success, Character Arcs and if They Would Win the Game

By Jennifer Yuma

[VARIETY Virtual Streaming Room] 2021-11-19 Squid Game cast Q&A

[Credit: https://www.youtube.com/user/kaytee05/ ]

Korean cinema has been a topic of conversation in the U.S., most notably after critically acclaimed films “Parasite” and “Minari” hit the West. Netflix’s “Squid Game” is no exception, with actor Park Hae-soo saying the films contributed to the show’s success.

“I think the foundation of that is how Korean content like ‘Parasite’ and ‘Minari’ were so well received and they were loved by so many people, that it kind of almost paved the way for ‘Squid Game’ to be received the way it did in the United States,” said the actor, who played Cho Sang-woo in the series.

Alongside Park, fellow “Squid Game” stars Lee Jung-jae and Jung Ho-yeon were joined by director Hwang Dong-hyuk, production designer Chae Kyoung-sun and music composer Jung Jae-il at Variety Streaming Room presented by Netflix — moderated by Variety’s Jenelle Riley.

Lee, who plays protagonist Seong Gi-hun, also spoke about his realization that the show was a success: “When I started seeing the reaction videos on YouTube about ‘Squid Game’ and then when I saw their very real facial expression watching the show, I think I really started to feel that.”

Hwang said it’s because the show conveys a universal message, saying, “you are left with this very strong message — almost like a warning about a capitalist society.”

The actors also spoke about how they prepared for their very different roles, with Lee explaining that he was confused about how to approach his character at first.

“If they went in with too serious of a tone for the character, it’s just going to bring the whole thing really down,” the star said. “I wanted to bring a sense of lightness and almost a clumsy part to the character.”

Park, who had more of a divisive character arc, spoke about how he understood the character: “Everyone, they have a sense of irony and duality within themselves, right? I just think that Sang-Woo is somebody that this irony was expressed to the extreme.”

Jung, who made her acting debut in the show, said she had doubts if she could pull it off: “I was daunted, thinking that, ‘Am I going to be able to pull this character off really? Am I going to be able to express this wonderful character?’”

Watch the full video above.

http://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/7JVW74kL-plsZnDJi.html

[Variety] Squid Game's Cast and Director Play "Most Likely To"
Jung Ho-yeon, Lee Jung-Jae, Park Hae-soo, and Director Hwang Dong-hyuk answer who is most likely to win Squid Game in real life, most likely to improvise on set, most likely to Google themselves, and more!

[Credit: from_jjlee ]

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/398_319159.html
Netflix's monthly active users hit record high in Korea on 'Squid Game'

Spoiler

2021-11-21

spacer.png

This photo provided by Netflix shows a poster for Korean-made megahit "Squid Game" featuring its actors and actresses. Yonhap

The number of Netflix's monthly active users (MAU) in South Korea hit a record high in September from a month earlier helped by the Korean-made mega hit "Squid Game," a market research firm said Sunday. 

The U.S. streaming giant's monthly active users in South Korea reached 9.48 million in September, up 9.8 percent from the previous month's 8.63 million, according to Nielsen KoreanClick. September tally marked the highest since Netflix launched its streaming service in South Korea in 2016.

The MAU appears to have reached 10 million in October if the subscriber growth continued.

Netflix has recently raised its monthly subscription fees in South Korea, as increased data traffic over "Squid Game" rekindled controversies with internet service providers over network usage.

The price hike ― the first since 2016 ― came amid criticism Netflix has refused to pay for network usage despite increased data traffic.

South Korean internet service providers have accused Netflix of free-riding on their networks despite huge traffic overload caused by the streaming service. 

Dean Garfield, vice president of global public policy at Netflix, said earlier this month in Seoul he is well aware of controversies surrounding costs from increased network traffic due to a surge of viewers in South Korea. 

On Friday, Kim Sang-hee, a vice speaker of the National Assembly, proposed a bill that would prevent Netflix and overseas content providers from getting a free ride on the South Korean networks. (Yonhap)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/688_319228.html
'Hellbound' vs 'Squid Game': What global chart says about two Korean dramas

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2021/11/23/2021112301178.html
Actor Lee Jung-jae to Promote Busan in City's Bid to Host World Expo

November 23, 2021

spacer.png
Lee Jung-jae

Actor Lee Jung-jae will lend his newfound star power to promote Busan and the southern port city's bid to host the 2030 World Expo.

Lee recently earned some global fame due to his appearance in Netflix's mega-hit Korean series "Squid Game."
Busan is vying with Moscow, Odessa, Riyadh and Rome.

The host country of the world's fair will be decided in 2023 by the Bureau International des Expositions.

Men's magazine GQ Korea '2021 Men of the Year'

spacer.png

spacer.png

[Photos courtesy of GQ Korea | @ xsports]

=> https://www.gqkorea.co.kr/2021/11/23/이정재와-정우성이-22년-만에-에서-만난다/

——

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/11/688_319298.html
'Squid Game' team gets bonuses from Netflix

Spoiler

By Kang Hyun-kyung | 2021-11-23

spacer.png
A still of South Korea's dystopian drama "Squid Game" / Courtesy of Netflix

The "Squid Game" team has received one-time bonuses from Netflix in the past weeks, according to Bloomberg News.

The media report came amid an "underemployment" controversy raised by some Korean experts who claim Netflix does not sufficiently value the efforts of the creators, producers and cast members.

The amounts of money paid to the team are not the level of "life-changing," the Bloomberg article said.

"The cast received less than the stars of (U.S. TV series) 'Succession' get paid for one episode. The bonuses are a recognition of how lucrative 'Squid Game' has been for Netflix. The show, which cost just $21 million to produce, is estimated to be worth more than $900 million to Netflix," the article read. 

Netflix's one-time bonuses for the Squid Game team, paid in the past couple of weeks, came at a time when some Koreans were complaining about the global streaming giant's inequitable financial reward model.

The South Korean dystopian drama has been Netflix's biggest global hit, but most of the money has gone to the streaming giant, while the creator, producers and actors were not properly remunerated.

According to an expert familiar with the entertainment industry, the entire "Squid Game" team is believed to have earned a mere $1.7 million.

Another Korean expert cynically compared the team to an "underpaid Major League Baseball player" who hit 40 home runs in his debut season.

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/news.jsp?blbdComCd=601006&seq=5660&mode=VIEW
SQUID GAME’s Lee Jungjae Wraps Directorial Debut

by Pierce Conran | Nov 23, 2021

Lee Stars in Spy Thriller HUNT alongside Jung Woosung

spacer.png

Squid Game star Lee Jungjae has just wrapped production on his latest challenge - his directorial debut Hunt. The crime film also sees him appear before the camera, co-starring with his friend and fellow star Jung Woosung, the pair appearing together on screen again for the first time in over 20 years.

Hunt is an espionage drama in which Lee and Jung play special agents on the hunt for a dangerous mole. Both working for the Korean National Intelligence Service (KNIS), Pyungho (Lee Jungjae), from the International Department, and Jungdo (Jung Woosung), of the Domestic Department, are independently attempting to track down a North Korean mole within the agency. Their search brings them face-to-face with a terrible truth, but they must push forward and complete their mission.

A major Korean star since the mid-1990s, known for Il Mare (2000), The Thieves (2012), New World (2013) and Assassination, Lee recently experienced a surge in international popularity following his leading role in the hit drama Squid Game, which became Netflix’s most popular show, with 142 million subscribers tuning in over its first four weeks on air.

Jung, who last appeared with Lee in the 1999 crime drama City of the Rising Sun, is known for Beat (1997), The Good, The Bad, The Weird (2008), Cold Eyes (2013) and Steel Rain (2017). He has also been dabbling with working behind the scenes, including as a producer on next month’s Netflix Original Drama The Silent Sea.

Also among the cast are Jeon Hyejin of ASHFALL (2019), Lee’s Squid Game co-star Heo Sungtae, and rising star Go Yoonjung of Netflix’s Sweet Home.