[movie 2006] Maundy Thursday/our Happy Time 우리들의 행복&#54620

Guest Airine Pratama

Guest _ijusswannabeme_

oo. I saw this movie.. Very touching in the end. I'll have to admit the movie was a LITTLE slow, but it was a good movie, and I'll recommend it to people.

Plus Kand Dong Won was very hott. ^^

and I hate to spoil it but it is a very sad ending

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please upload the subtitle for cd 1 of this movie...I've already downloaded the movie but I'm having a hard time downloading the subs.

thanks in advance

CD1: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/ma8qa

Sub: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/krhqa

CD2: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/na8qa

Sub: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/orhqa

Single CD Version: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/pkfqa

Sub: http://down.clubbox.co.kr/naynay123/rrhqa

credit: naynay123

i thought i will have bawl the sorrow building up was gentle ....i teared at the last moment .

it was like flipping through a short novel ..page by page ..as the minutes goes on .as every thursday passes

every 10 - 11 pm ...on every thursday .was both their most happiness moments

we learnt about their secrets

we see how her pains come from

we finally understand his sins ..

the outside world never give him much warmth but give him only sorrow and betrayl ..

he lived not a life that he think was worth to continue ..

so he accepted the punishment ..

.what is death anyway .

since his living was not much in this world anyway

he is all alone in this worlding ..

leaving it ..wont make much of a difference to him

rather he was waiting for it ..to come

a time waiting for death

however suddenly become the most happiest moment in his life

because of a forgiveness of a mother ..

i never expected how much you can be so afraid when you receive forgiveness

the way he trembled and keep saying i am sorry .....[ ...something in me choked up ]

a mother belief in her faith make her forgive a murderer

and the murderer from her forgiveness

receive a chance of reborn in his heart

and receive his last gift from this world ..

a gift to feel a sense of love and gratidue

a gift to feel .that this is what living is about

but i think he inturn give yu jeong a miralce too

even when she cant give him a miracle to live

he give her a chance to forgive the unforgivable .

her mother ...

for her turning back against her own daughter suffering

i did wonder though what happen to his wife and baby ...

and did he ever receive the nike shoes ...

seem like he was too late for his birthday to come before he leave

he was so scared at the end

the athem did not help

i teared at that .

because ..his fear of death

shows how much he does want to live

but yet his mistake was irreversible

it took away a life

....he had to use his life to repay this sin

but at least he know

he was forgiven before he leave

it was a special bond between him and her ....

two person who feel so lonely and unwanted in this world

who had once think death is their only way out of their misery

yet they found a sense of love between each other

it might not be the most passionate love between lovers

yet there is an understanding of each other wounds .and hurts

and on that special day ..

every thursday

was theit time of happiness

I know he didn't rape "that" girl, but if you think logically, the girl screamed for a second and then that guy killed her, how could he rape her in a second? cuz KDW and the mother ran out right away. Or maybe he did rape her and she didn't scream at first, but it was still a pretty quick time cuz the mother just talked to KDW for a lil bit. About the housemaid, she looks so old. I mean come on now, she looks jsut as old as her mother. And from what I got from the movie, the mother of the victim seems to make it sound like her daughter is still young, not some middle aged lady.

I understand what happened there, but I'm taking a logical view at how these things were set up since they confused me.

Yes I know they were not goin to kill these people. But then you made a good point, maybe KDW was just a thief before and he wasn't a killer before he met his gf. That would also make sense. I want to watch the opening scene again hmm.

what cecil explained is correct .....

..the girl was raped by tae sun .perhaps you never heard the screams of the girl because we were in the room with the mother who was giving an indecent proposal to him in exchange to save his girl and baby and between this time ..perhaps the rape was done and the girl ..struggled too much and tae sun just want to silence her and ..stabbed her with the knife ..in his drunk stage ...

and yes the victim that yun soo really kill was only the housemaid who come in every morning ...well maybe ..the mother to her .her daughter is always a precious little girl ..but ..ya that the same daughter she was talking about who was just an innocent party to all these ..and who has no money yet he had no choice but to kill her .since she stepped into the scene of crime ..

i dun think he was a killer before. .they were just only after the money ..but it turned into something which went out of control

the alternative ending ..is like this ..from the dvd i got

...it continued from the photos from the boz ..and the scene turn to the train .where there a group of children ..and yu jeong was on the train ..remembered how yun soo used to write letters to the children...wanting to take them out to see the sea .or something .now she is with those children i think or is either she happen to run into a grp of children on the train ..[er there was no subtitles .sigh ] ..and they went to the sea ....the beach where the sky was so pure and blue ..... a little girl pull her to along with her on the beach ...she was simling ..

..i think in heaven above ..he must have simled the simle she love to see on him ...

btw not sure if anyone bought this up ..but the english title i used to wonder why they specially use Maundy Thursday [rather then our happy times ] now i sort of knows ..actually refers to ..the holy thursday .which is the last thursday before Easter i think .and also is the day of the Last supper ..

the cast were good ...demonstrating a different them from their pervious roles. ..and especially kang dong wan ..he did put in a great effort into being yun soo ......lee na yong i am glad to see her in a somewhat diferent role from her previous ..especially the scene with her mother ...she screaming out her forgiveness ...

Guest schizoar

btw not sure if anyone bought this up ..but the english title i used to wonder why they specially use Maundy Thursday [rather then our happy times ] now i sort of knows ..actually refers to ..the holy thursday .which is the last thursday before Easter i think .and also is the day of the Last supper ..

Really? Is that why the title was changed to that? I thought it was because the two leads met every thursday? KDW also wrote that in the picture the girl gave him right?. :unsure: LOL, I must have misunderstood, hehe. :blush:

Off topic but I find this movie similar to a fanfic I just read earlier today. I think the title's Balloons. Not really similar as in similar but it also has to do with prison, murder and such, hehe.. :)

Guest Airine Pratama

i thought i will have bawl the sorrow building up was gentle ....i teared at the last moment .

it was like flipping through a short novel ..page by page ..as the minutes goes on .as every thursday passes

every 10 - 11 pm ...on every thursday .was both their most happiness moments

we learnt about their secrets

we see how her pains come from

we finally understand his sins ..

the outside world never give him much warmth but give him only sorrow and betrayl ..

he lived not a life that he think was worth to continue ..

so he accepted the punishment ..

.what is death anyway .

since his living was not much in this world anyway

he is all alone in this worlding ..

leaving it ..wont make much of a difference to him

rather he was waiting for it ..to come

a time waiting for death

however suddenly become the most happiest moment in his life

because of a forgiveness of a mother ..

i never expected how much you can be so afraid when you receive forgiveness

the way he trembled and keep saying i am sorry .....[ ...something in me choked up ]

a mother belief in her faith make her forgive a murderer

and the murderer from her forgiveness

receive a chance of reborn in his heart

and receive his last gift from this world ..

a gift to feel a sense of love and gratidue

a gift to feel .that this is what living is about

but i think he inturn give yu jeong a miralce too

even when she cant give him a miracle to live

he give her a chance to forgive the unforgivable .

her mother ...

for her turning back against her own daughter suffering

i did wonder though what happen to his wife and baby ...

and did he ever receive the nike shoes ...

seem like he was too late for his birthday to come before he leave

he was so scared at the end

the athem did not help

i teared at that .

because ..his fear of death

shows how much he does want to live

but yet his mistake was irreversible

it took away a life

....he had to use his life to repay this sin

but at least he know

he was forgiven before he leave

it was a special bond between him and her ....

two person who feel so lonely and unwanted in this world

who had once think death is their only way out of their misery

yet they found a sense of love between each other

it might not be the most passionate love between lovers

yet there is an understanding of each other wounds .and hurts

and on that special day ..

every thursday

was theit time of happiness

what cecil explained is correct .....

..the girl was raped by tae sun .perhaps you never heard the screams of the girl because we were in the room with the mother who was giving an indecent proposal to him in exchange to save his girl and baby and between this time ..perhaps the rape was done and the girl ..struggled too much and tae sun just want to silence her and ..stabbed her with the knife ..in his drunk stage ...

and yes the victim that yun soo really kill was only the housemaid who come in every morning ...well maybe ..the mother to her .her daughter is always a precious little girl ..but ..ya that the same daughter she was talking about who was just an innocent party to all these ..and who has no money yet he had no choice but to kill her .since she stepped into the scene of crime ..

i dun think he was a killer before. .they were just only after the money ..but it turned into something which went out of control

the alternative ending ..is like this ..from the dvd i got

...it continued from the photos from the boz ..and the scene turn to the train .where there a group of children ..and yu jeong was on the train ..remembered how yun soo used to write letters to the children...wanting to take them out to see the sea .or something .now she is with those children i think or is either she happen to run into a grp of children on the train ..[er there was no subtitles .sigh ] ..and they went to the sea ....the beach where the sky was so pure and blue ..... a little girl pull her to along with her on the beach ...she was simling ..

..i think in heaven above ..he must have simled the simle she love to see on him ...

btw not sure if anyone bought this up ..but the english title i used to wonder why they specially use Maundy Thursday [rather then our happy times ] now i sort of knows ..actually refers to ..the holy thursday .which is the last thursday before Easter i think .and also is the day of the Last supper ..the cast were good ...demonstrating a different them from their pervious roles. ..and especially kang dong wan ..he did put in a great effort into being yun soo ......lee na yong i am glad to see her in a somewhat diferent role from her previous ..especially the scene with her mother ...she screaming out her forgiveness ...

Yes, you're right ... A friend posted about this too at Kang Dong Won's thread when they began to use MAUNDY THURSDAY instead of Our Happy Time ... But i forget on which page ... I guess some people must wonder about the title too :)

Really? Is that why the title was changed to that? I thought it was because the two leads met every thursday? KDW also wrote that in the picture the girl gave him right?. :unsure: LOL, I must have misunderstood, hehe. :blush:

ya they met every thursday .but i think the title explain why it is thursday ..out of the 7 days of the week

Yes, you're right ... A friend posted about this too at Kang Dong Won's thread when they began to use MAUNDY THURSDAY instead of Our Happy Time ... But i forget on which page ... I guess some people must wonder about the title too :)

and also the bread and the washing of feet .i think it has certain relation to regilion .the idea of him converting and accepting God before ..he face his end .

=========

there are a few deleted scenes in the dvd

a. the scene when he bring the shoes in ..leaving the imprints of the shoes outside the door .and the deleted scene show how he snuggled up into the bed with his .gf [ or wife ] finally a home of his own

b. there a scene whereby his friend speak the wife/gf of yunsoo when she was in hospital .

c. yu jeong's brother went to see the uncle and beat him up .

Guest ripgal

gosh..the movie made me cry so bad T.T

Both Kang Dong Won and Lee Na Young portrayed their roles very well..altho i didn't feel that much of development from Yu Gyeong and Yun Soo's relationship (i mean Love here), i was more impressed on how the Director/writer focused on 2 different ppl sharing their pain and hardship together and amidst that gain some form of consolation from each other.

shirley, your analysis of Yun Soo giving Yoo Gyeong a miracle, to forgive her mother touched my heart. in her heart, she yearned so much for a miracle from God, to let Yun Soo live on. :tears: it's so sad that we only saw the miracle happen on Yoo Gyeong.

sighz..i feel so depressed now. Yun Soo's last words to all those who have helped him in the past were so touching and sad.. him mentioning that the anthem didn't help at alleviating his fear and pain made me cry harder.. :tears:

do they really do that in the prison? the guards just tell you that you have a visitor but in fact it's the death sentence? gosh, that's so harsh...:(

Kudos to Kang Dong Won and Lee Na Young for making the movie a worthwhile watch. Definitely one of the better movies out there..

Guest pinochio

KDW did a very very good job.i never cry on movies.....no matter how sad they are....but here i cried so much .he is a great actor ,should recived an award for this role and Lee Na Young caracthere is also so sad .i like how she cried

Guest ripgal

^ i agree that KDW's acting here deserves an award. Man he's so convincing as the criminal longing for love... Ahh, i am recalling the last scene again..T.T

Guest a4sano

I wouldn't actually call him a criminal in this. This movie was pretty good for a melodrama but it left out some very important things. I started to wonder what happened to Dong Won's girlfriend and the child he was expecting....

Guest pinochio

I wouldn't actually call him a criminal in this. This movie was pretty good for a melodrama but it left out some very important things. I started to wonder what happened to Dong Won's girlfriend and the child he was expecting....

i asked myself that too.....i gues she died because he didn't get the money the save her(she was in the hospital)

i don't think the title was changed. the title in Korean is the same... Maundy Thursday is just the internationally known title for this movie. many Korean films have international titles that are not complete translations of the Korean title, anyway.

i found the film very moving. i've always felt Lee Na Young to be one of the most talented of her generation... unfortunately, she doesn't seem very popular on soompi. and of course, Kang Dong Won is one of my favorite actors as well.

NEWS

Gong Ji-young, Creator of Bestselling Novels

photo22502vy7.jpg

Novelist Gong Ji-young is the most sought-after novelist by publishing companies, because the number of her readers ranges between 100,000 and 800,000. Gong's works always draw the attention of filmmakers, film directors and even performance producers because of their deep and broad subjects.

The Gong Ji-young syndrome

Three of Gong's works have become bestsellers concurrently. That's an impressive feat given the recent slump in the domestic publishing sector. The "Gong Ji-young syndrome" began in April last year. Since writing her bestseller "My Sister Bongsoon" seven years ago, Gong wrote another big hit, "Maundy Thursday", and recently drew the spotlight for "Things That Come After Love", which she co-authored with Japanese writer Tsuji Hitonari, and the prose piece "I Was Alone Like a Raindrop". "Maundy Thursday" ("Our Happy Time"), on which a famous Korean movie is based, drew significant attention when the movie opened in September, becoming the first Korean novel in four years to top the bestselling charts, and staying on top for eight weeks in a row.

Is Gong's career as a writer at the pinnacle of its success? As if reflecting the "Gong Ji-young syndrome", various literary magazines have produced special editions on Gong in succession. Gong's enormous power in the publishing world stems from the fact that her personal spiritual wounds have struck a chord with today's readers. The secret of Gong's novels lies in their refreshing subjects. Gong prefers to write in short, concise sentences instead of long, sophisticated ones. Her writing style fully reflects her vigorous personality. Believing that love permits hurt, Gong devoted her entire being to her love, and--since a painful breakup--has been raising her three children on her own, earning her the nickname "a brave single Mom".

Wounds shared with the present time

The 44-year-old Gong has been married and divorced three times and has three children. She was hurt the most not only by the gloomy era she happened to live in but also by men. Nonetheless, Gong regards her wounds as common for the times. Born in Seoul in 1963, Gong graduated from the Department of English Literature of Yonsei University and debuted as a novelist in 1988 with her short novel "Daybreak". Her full-length novels include "No More Beautiful Wanderings", "Go Alone Like a Rhino Horn", "Mackerel" and "My Sister Bongsoon". She has also published the novel compilations "Courtesy for Humans" and "Crying Existence", and the prose works "The Unhurt Soul" and "Gong Ji-young's Monastery Journey". As the most prominent female writer of the 1990s, Gong has wrote extensively on the harsh reality that women of the present era face due to public misperceptions and the failure of society to shed its patriarchal way of thinking.

The first thing Gong read after learning the Korean alphabet was a poem by Sowol written on the wall of a bathroom. As a child, she wanted to become an orphanage director. Gong spent her adolescence writing poems and novels and was mature in a literary sense compared with her peers. While in college, she stayed away from the student movement but always sympathized with it. After graduating, she worked for a literary organization, where she answered phone calls and served coffee to novelists. In the fall of 1986, she decided to earn a master's degree in the hope of living a peaceful life by working as a college professor and writing poems. However, she dropped out because the lectures focused excessively on classical literature only. The next step she took was to participate in the labor movement.

Striking a chord with the public

Gong is known for her contradictory personality: easygoing and affectionate yet sharp and inapproachable. Some people still remember her as an ardent feminist and advocate of student activities. Gong's works always display their value and influence by walking a fine line between sociality and popularity. Either positively or negatively, that line inspires us to think of ways modern literature must communicate with the public. Gong was highly credited for raising public awareness about the abolishment of capital punishment by depicting the love between a man sentenced to death and a woman who had attempted suicide three times in the novel "Maundy Thursday" ("Our Happy Time"). Recently she received a special award from the South Korean committee of Amnesty International, and participated in a campaign calling for the abolishment of capital punishment.

Gong plans to stay out of the public eye for the time being to work on a new novel and spend quality time with her children. She will continue to touch the souls of readers with her simplicity and fragility. We look forward to her next masterpiece.

1985 - B.A. in Literature, Yonsei Univ.

1988 - Debuted with "Daybreak"

Awards

2001 - 7th 21 Century Literary Award

2001 - 27th Korean Novel and Literature Award from Korea Novelist Association

2004 - 12th Oh Young-soo Literature Award

2006 - 9th Special Media Award from Amnesty International

Works

1996 - "Mackerel"

1998 - "Go Alone Like a Rhino Horn"

1998 - "My Sister Bongsoon"

1999 - "Crying Existence"

2000 - "Who We Are, Where We Are From, Where We Are Going?" (received 7th 21 Century Literary Award in 2001)

2005 - "Films of My Life"

2005 - "Maundy Thursday" ("Our Happy Time")

2006 - "I Was Alone Like a Raindrop"

2006 - "The Unhurt Soul"

source: http://www.hancinema.net

• 2 weeks later...

Alienation

While face-to-face contact is gradually decreasing, some people resort to their computers to relieve their loneliness.

Those people willing to disclose all of the little details of their personal lives on the Internet are often referred to as "publizens", a compound word made from "publicity" and "citizen". And there are also nasty netizens, also known as "evil repliers", who get pleasure from receiving mounting criticism by leaving ill-mannered replies on the Internet. However, such twisted behaviors reflect their desire to communicate with other people. Perhaps they are so desperate that they want to get attention even from anonymous people. However, these abnormal behaviors are nevertheless a remedy to cure their loneliness.

What they really might need is actual face-to-face discussions with people so they can open their mind and talk about their innermost feelings. There is a movie about two completely different people who begin to reveal their problems to each other and find out the true meaning of life.

"Maundy Thursday" ("Our Happy Time"), which hit theaters in September 2006 and was released on DVD recently, is about Yoo-jeong (played by Lee Na-young), a professor who has attempted to kill herself three times, and Yoon-su (played by Kang Dong-won), a death row inmate. The couple, who were both unable to bear difficulties in life, meets at a prison.

When they first meet, they act coldly toward each other. However, they soon realize that they have something in common. They soon share their secrets never revealed to anyone else and become good friends. All of a sudden, the two, who desperately wanted to die, begin to feel an urge to live.

Many people believe they are the only misfortunate ones unfairly treated. "A thorn as small as dust might look insignificant to others, but if it pricks you, it may leave you a wound as painful as the universe", Yoo-jeong says in the movie.

People seem to have difficulties in understanding not only other people's feelings, but also their own feelings. However, the movie implies that everyone wants to be loved and love someone despite those difficulties. Their anger against the world and their contemplation about suicide are, in fact, their desperate craving for attention and a chance to talk with somebody. Maybe that is why the feelings between the two lead characters appear to be more of compassion than love between a man and a woman.

source: http://www.hancinema.net

Guest Airine Pratama

I finally had a chance to watch this movie ... I can't reply much coz it's hard to express what i thought in English haha --"

All i want to say is that this is a really meaningful movie for me.

The execution scene ... I hope it will never happend to him ...

Guest Midnight_Crisis

I finally had a chance to watch this movie ... I can't reply much coz it's hard to express what i thought in English haha --"

All i want to say is that this is a really meaningful movie for me.

The execution scene ... I hope it will never happend to him ...

uhmm . . not sure what you mean, and i'm not going to probe so i wish you and/or that person as much luck as possible

as for the movie . . i just bought it in the Flushing Mall today, and OMG was it a really big tear jerker! It was sooo sad i cried! I can't believe what had happened, i thought the miracle was going to occur so i was soo sad wen it didn't. And then, when . . uhmm was it SooEun?, well wen he was singing and sed it doesn't work i'm still scared . . oh god! just thinking about it makes me wanna cry. and i'm not even lying. I Loved this movie so much. I mean i picked it out cause liked the screencaps and the cover it had . . considereing that i couldn't read wut it said cause i'm not korean - -;; but subs in eng. hehe! I recommend this movie big time. And the mom was sooo mean and cruel i couldn't believe her

Hi there *waves* I was able to download the movie from the awesome naynay123 CB but somehow the sub won't start. I have tried looking for it at KLOOFY but they don't have the sub for MT. Is there any other alternative?

ETA: Nope, never mind, found the sub through the ThaiSub link you posted a few pages back. Thanks so so much!!

ya they met every thursday .but i think the title explain why it is thursday ..out of the 7 days of the week

and also the bread and the washing of feet .i think it has certain relation to regilion .the idea of him converting and accepting God before ..he face his end .

=========

there are a few deleted scenes in the dvd

a. the scene when he bring the shoes in ..leaving the imprints of the shoes outside the door .and the deleted scene show how he snuggled up into the bed with his .gf [ or wife ] finally a home of his own

b. there a scene whereby his friend speak the wife/gf of yunsoo when she was in hospital .

c. yu jeong's brother went to see the uncle and beat him up .

SHIRLEY~~~~~~~

*waves*

this is definitely one of the best films i've seen for some time

anywayz... thanks for letting us know about the alternative ending... i think if that was shown, then it would have lessened the sadness at the end of the film....

and what's this about the deleted of his gf in hospital?

so yun soo's friend told yun soo his gf was in hospital?

Archived