[Drama 2012] The Moon that Embraces the Sun 해를 품은 달

Guest yeohweping

Yay what a great episode :D Thanks to all you lovely pple providing recaps and translations!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I have 6 points i want to make:

1. It's sad how Yang Myung is the one to recognise Wol as Yeon Woo and believes it to be her but Hwon still doubts. So,etimes if you are overly cautious, you cannot see the truth that your heart tells you.

2. Hwon worrying about his brother shows how tired, weary and wary he must really be...of all the politics in the palace and the burden of not doing anything to stop Yeon Woo's death.

3. What is this Princess MinHwa trying to do with her proposed deal with Yang Myung????? You're not telling me you are going to try and keep Wol apart from Hwon are you????? :crazy:

4. azuwaza163, you know,that was what I was thinking too...why is this woman still alive?! What's quite intriguing to me is also the fact that they haven't told us how the previous king died in a matter of 8 years. Heck, he must have been only about 40?

5. I'm still not convinced that Bo Kyung loves/likes Hwon. I don't think she knows what love is, simply because no one has showed her what it really is. It seems more like she wanted to marry into the palace because of the prestige and/or competition with Yeon Hee (the best woman gets the prize in this case?) and now that she has married Hwon, the only logical thing for her to do would be to get her husband to treat her well. Every woman wants to be treated well and especially given the times they were in, Hwon would have become her goal and purpose of living but I wouldn't go to the extent of saying she loves him.

6. They still haven't told us why Yeon Woo wrote the letter just before she "died", obviously meaning for it to be handed over to Hwon but then hiding it away in the box.

Can't wait for the next episode :D

Thanks for the torrent links and the wonderful spoilers!

I didn't watch the episode but the preview was intense! They don't really seem to follow the novel...but still, I don't think Wol will be marked! Come on...At first Hwon was captivated by YW's beauty, how can she be burned with an ugly mark on the forehead...it's totally impossible! tongue2.gif

Hope to see some sweet scenes tomorrow after today intense scenes!

Happy 100th pages! :D

This is such an emotional episode!

I can't contain my sadness watching the mother grieving over her daughter's death and for Yeom while watching her mother. I cried with them but I cried more when Wol is about to be branded and Hwon is still in the archery field.

hwon3.jpg

hwon2.jpg

I really detest Hwon at that time! As if, WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE??? SAVE YOUR YEON WOO! You will definitely regret this day when the time you learn that she is the same person you love all these years!

When Hyung Sun arrived, I feel relieved but I don't know why I cried even more....

hwon4.jpg

and more because of this....

hwon6.jpg

----------------------

We are already almost halfway, haaay! Am I the only one who feels that an extension of at least four episodes should be made mandatory? I think summer classes in St. Soompi Academy should be required, no semestral break!

WAIT! I’ve seen Ari’s vision for tomorrow’s episode! The amulet is bound to pass out during the conversation with the king for lack of sleep and food. Then King will call the doctors and they will find the letter prepared by Wol. Meantime, YEom will find the letter written by young YW and he will give it the king. The king will compare both letters with the same hand writing!

Then they will go for “ a walk to remember/ walk under the moonlight” and the two of them will runaway and……. KISS!!! :wub::wub:

nice episode. shot beautifully and i didnt like Han Ga In till this episode. now i am so in love with her. Her acting definately improved, eyes are telling stories and her subtle make up looks amazing like angel.

Wow, ViKi translators are not wasting any time! EP 9 is already subbed at 43%! blink.gif 

http://www.viki.com/...-the-sun/videos

Minhwa's facial expression upon hearing Yeon Woo's name:

guilt.jpg

guilt2.jpg

guilt3.jpg

This struck me as so sad because when Yeom finds his mom, she's in their old house. (if the subs are correct) He brings her back and tells Minhwa he "found her in their old house again" meaning she's done this before. tears.gif This poor woman has been tortured in the pits of he** through the loss of her daughter. (AND what was Yeom doing at their old house too?) 

I hated HW too in this episode (although drooling over KSH :P) But he is harsh to her cuz he keeps thinking of YW and comparing her to YW...He feels attracted to her the same way as he was to YW and hence he is trying to put a distance between her and him. But maybe he is doing this to her in order to keep her save. I mean if he favors her then people might use her as a bait. Hence he is trying to show a uncaring attitude. I also think he does so because he is having a battle with himself, he is doing everything in order to not be emotionally bound with her. Like saying: you are a mere shaman/amulet so how dare u touch me. Or are you trying to seduce me...

How I want the old HWon being back. He will really regret all these things. I hope they will show it very thoroughly and not one or 2mins where he doesnt believe it and then they're a couple again. Ofcourse I want them asap be together but he must show repent before being worthly of her. YM is kinda right. He hasnt done one thing to protect her...so I hope Hwon will make this all up to YW

Guest yenswky

I was thinking the same thing too that he might recognize her handwriting. or at least add it to his growing list of suspicions on how Yeonwoo and Wol are the same person. I am also awaiting another crying epi tomorrow when Yeom finds the letter for sure he is going to read it & well realize how much his little sister loved Hwon. Hopefully he will pass the letter along but I don't think it will happen in ep.10 Yeom will probably struggle with if he should "torture" the King with more proof that his love is true & lasting etc.

But I am getting a bit sick of how Wol keeps thinking she is seeing visions into the past of other peoples lives when it is obviously her face. I don't know about how some people say it is mentioned in the book that the visions were hazy but the tv version they are pretty much as bright as day. Bleah. And a bit strange how she doesn't question a lack of childhood memories right? If i'm not wrong she should have been about 14 in the childhood part of the show.

Oh well I shall sit and wait patiently for the next 20 hours... EPISODE 10 daebak! :w00t:

Wow, we already reached 100th page :) Congrats!

Yang Myung ah, you really should forget YW and move on... why can't second lead fall in love with somebody else? 

BTW does anybody else think that Yang Myung is really going to die in the end, because he keeps saying that "in the next life I'll protect you" ... "in the next life please look at me first" ... it sounds like foreshadowing something ....

Yang Myung ah, you really should forget YW and move on... why can't second lead fall in love with somebody else? 

BTW does anybody else think that Yang Myung is really going to die in the end, because he keeps saying that "in the next life I'll protect you" ... "in the next life please look at me first" ... it sounds like foreshadowing something ....

Yea, I've been thinking that for awhile now but only because those who have read the book said he dies. BUT the drama writers can change things (and have already) so who knows. It's so painfully obvious that YW/Wol will end up with Hwon and it's heartbreaking to watch Myung fight against it without any hope. sad.gif

This is the scene where I thought for a minute that BK recognized YW but now I don't think so. Freaked me out for a second! Of all people, BK and the Dowager are the last ones I'd want to recognize her! crazy.gif

spy4.jpg

spy1.jpg

spy2.jpg

spy3.jpg

spy.jpg

spy5.jpg

spy8.jpg

Those near-real time captions on ionair.tv provided a great addition to my collection of accidentally apt typos.

In the opening sequence, the subbers were initially resorting to some improvised romanizations to name YW's function in the King's chamber. Then one of them must have quickly thumbed through a dictionary and come up with "psychic". Not very accurate, but anyone who'd seen the previous episode would know what was meant, so "psychic" it was for a few lines. But then, after Hwon had declared she must have been planted on him as a spy, the caption had him ordering his men to "throw that SPYCHICK out of here". Psychic ==> Spychick. Priceless. I wonder if any viewers thought it was in the original?

Wow Baduy, you're that smart to recognise this word trick "SPYCHICK" to treat "Psychic" w/out the k.... ;)

Guest dramaok

Yeonwoo's mother did not go to any old home. she went to the annex building where Yeonwoo used to live. it is still within the Heo compound. By this time in Joseon, there were strict moral laws prohibiting male and female contact and households of higher status such as the aristocrats and nobles often had their unmarried daughters live separately from the rest of the house in the annex building. that prevents these women/girls to be easily seen and be in contact with any visitors who are male. You recall, Heo Yeom was not pleased that the younger Yang Myeong made a visit to the Byeoldang building where Yeonwoo lived.

that is still the same place. i suppose after today, Heo Yeom will have it locked up so the mother can't wander into it again. Maybe tomorrow he will go there himself to lock it up.

i'm curious to find out what Wol wrote in the letter to the king. They only showed she wrote, 野草不 . . . (the wild grass does not . . .)

i guess another poem to express something deeper?

something about this drama keeps me from paying attention to it 100%. i don't know what it is but i keep getting distracted and lose interest. but everytime Hwon is on screen I smile. heehee yes he is angry but all that fury can be so much passion too, no? the ending scene today was rather sexy. he is daring her to do something to make him comfortable. it is rather suggestive, no?

i can't help but think how much happier and relaxed Wol is when she is with the other sun Yangmyeong. it's like this is the sun that she needs to choose in order to be embraced and be protected but of course she is going to risk her life and get herself burned by the other sun that is blazing with madness. oh girl . . .

i'm not all sold on the HGI and KSH pairing. even though it's not horrible it feels a bit awkward. i keep thinking how much more convincing this would be if it were HGI with someone like Kim Jae Won . . . or I think maybe KSH with Moon Geun Young . . . but i gotta stop these random thoughts. i do like them each on their own. I kind of think HGI has a lot more chemistry with JIW too. JIW seems most comfortable in sageuk compared to everyone else. it seems more effortless and i can pay attention to him fully as the character Yang Myeong.

But I am getting a bit sick of how Wol keeps thinking she is seeing visions into the past of other peoples lives when it is obviously her face. I don't know about how some people say it is mentioned in the book that the visions were hazy but the tv version they are pretty much as bright as day. Bleah. And a bit strange how she doesn't question a lack of childhood memories right? If i'm not wrong she should have been about 14 in the childhood part of the show.

yeah no they gotta make up their mind and either have her forget her past completely or remember everything completely. this 'omigosh i am getting a reading and who the hock does this memory belong to' thing is getting old for me too. it is just a bit too stretched.

this character is tragic not dying too. his living is not like living. there's simply no place that welcomes him. no wonder he looks forward to his next life. this life is simply a living hell.

I love the symbolism of this scene, the room is filled with darkness yet there is a beam of light coming from Wol. The room being the representation of her current situation and the light coming from within is somewhat saying that the darkness cannot erase or change the fact the she is YW and it will continue to light until the day that is back to her rightful place.

hwon7.png

Han Ga In's acting totally tear my heart with this scene.. The delivery is really great even her voice!

hwon8.jpg

BTW, I can't help but smile in this part. I remember the time when Hwon plead HS help him to secretly meet YW (unfortunately he informed the BK). He was nervously waiting for YW's arrival and HS told him that he is most handsome when he slowly turn around.. hahhaha! :wub::wub: Nothing has changed eh! BUT this time, it is for the RIGHT GIRL!

hwon9.jpg

$#@  All my appointments are on Wednesdays.  So, I don't have time to watch the raws first thing in the morning.  The most I can manage is to read a bit of  this thread.

I just managed to sneak a watch on the opening sequence with Hwon and Wol.  Wow, his reaction to her, who he initially thought was YW, is very revealing.  This is a man who has had to live suspecting everyone (except for Woon and HS) and everything.  He neither believes nor accept anything at face value.  To the point of not believing his own eyes or gut-feelings.  That's why he can't recognize YW.

Just imagine the environment and pressure that he's lived under for the last 7-8 yrs, for him to become so doubting and cynical. 

• To have lost the love of his life,
  • Married someone that he abhorred,
  • Loose his one bulwark, i.e., his father (who became dispensable after Hwon's marriage)

(Nice job, grandma. tongue2.gif)

On top of which, as a virile young man, he's had to repress himself.  Or, perhaps, Woon was still protecting the King, in that sense.  phew.gifblush.gif

Now, if I can only finish the episode with my next sneak attempt. 

$#@  All my appointments are on Wednesdays.  So, I don't have time to watch the raws first thing in the morning.  The most I can manage is read a bit of  this thread.

I just managed to sneak a watch on the opening sequence with Hwon and Wol.  Wow, his reaction to her, who he initially thought was YW, is very revealing.  This is a man who has had to live suspecting everyone (except for Woon and HS) and everything.  He neither believes or accepts anything at face value.  To the point of not believing his own eyes or gut-feelings.  That's why he can't recognize YW.

Just imagine the environment and pressure that he's lived under for the last 7-8 yrs, for him to become so doubting and cynical. 

• To have lost the love of his life,
  • Married someone that he abhorred,
  • Loose his one bulwark, i.e., his father (who became dispensable after Hwon's marriage)

(Nice job, grandma. tongue2.gif)

On top of which, as a virile young man, he had to repress himself.  Or, perhaps, Woon was still protecting the King, in that sense.  phew.gifblush.gif

Now, if I can only finish the episode with my next sneak attempt. 

omg. Your take on this is so spot on. Sorry...gotta delurk because I sooo agree with your take. I feel so bad for him. He doesn't really have anyone he can trust and even though it seems like he has everything. He really doesn't.

Yeonwoo's mother did not go to any old home. she went to the annex building where Yeonwoo used to live. it is still within the Heo compound.  By this time in Joseon, there were strict moral laws prohibiting male and female contact and households of higher status such as the aristocrats and nobles often had their unmarried daughters live separately from the rest of the house in the annex building. that prevents these women/girls to be easily seen and be in contact with any visitors who are male. You recall, Heo Yeom was not pleased that the younger Yang Myeong made a visit to the Byeoldang building where Yeonwoo lived.

that is still the same place. i suppose after today, Heo Yeom will have it locked up so the mother can't wander into it again. Maybe tomorrow he will go there himself to lock it up.

i'm curious to find out what Wol wrote in the letter to the king. They only showed she wrote, 野草不 . . .  (the wild grass does not . . .)

i guess another poem to express something deeper?

Thank you! I was wondering how YW's mom just wandered off to the "old house" and why Yeom would find her there. Your explanation makes much better sense. biggrin.gif I'm excited for tomorrow when Yeom goes into that building and finds YW's last letter! (if that's indeed what happens) w00t.gif

something about this drama keeps me from paying attention to it 100%. i don't know what it is but i keep getting distracted and lose interest. but everytime Hwon is on screen I smile. heehee yes he is angry but all that fury can be so much passion too, no? the ending scene today was rather sexy. he is daring her to do something to make him comfortable. it is rather suggestive, no?

I'm completely absorbed in the story when it's on but afterwards I read recaps and get confused. I agree 100% that Hwon's remarks to Wol at the end could be considered smexy. (LOL) But I think I'm better off waiting for subs to be sure. laugh.gif The way ViKi is moving on this today, I wouldn't be surprised if subs are finished in a couple more hours. 

I dont understand why people want MGY instead of HGI....HGI is really nailing it and moreover the character she plays, YW is known for being a godess/aka sooo beautiful captivating. In my opinion noone other than HGI fits this role...I like MGY but honestly she is not a beauty in words of captivating. She is pretty but not godess like HGI,

Guest puddingkancho

I dont understand why people want MGY instead of HGI....HGI is really nailing it and moreover the character she plays, YW is known for being a godess/aka sooo beautiful captivating. In my opinion noone other than HGI fits this role...I like MGY but honestly she is not a beauty in words of captivating. She is pretty but not godess like HGI,

i think it's because of the acting and the age. 

Although HGI looks amazing and young for her age, she still looks more mature and older than KSH and to an extent JIW. Considering that YW is supposed to be younger than both of them, something doesn't feel right.

Also, HGI has never been well known for her acting, whereas people know that MGY can deliver. 

Personally, though, I've always thought that Han Hyo Joo would've been a good choice...