Would you rather Read Manga or Watch Anime?

_RaiN_

Which one?

I've been getting this question A LOT with my friends, they would always ask me, "Would you rather watch Anime or read Manga?" And most of the time I would choose to read manga, because most of the time, the good parts of books are almost never put into the movies, even if they did, they would change some (or most) of the parts. 

So that's why I would choose to read, another reason for this is, because I can easily put the pictures and words into a moving picture in my head so reading interest me more. 

I'm just wondering what the Soompi community would choose and why?

Feel free to leave your answers :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest motherducker

I've been reading a lot of mangas lately and I found that, for me, it's much more easier and faster than watching anime.

I don't like things to be dragged on too much. In what would probably take 2 episodes to get through a scene in an anime would take at least 5 minutes to read in a manga. I used to be really picky with the animes I watched before because a lot of them bored me, but since I discovered the greatness of online mangas, I've been reading through quite a lot. :sweatingbullets:

Also mangas keep me intrigued most of the time 8)

I've been reading a lot of mangas lately and I found that, for me, it's much more easier and faster than watching anime.

I don't like things to be dragged on too much. In what would probably take 2 episodes to get through a scene in an anime would take at least 5 minutes to read in a manga. I used to be really picky with the animes I watched before because a lot of them bored me, but since I discovered the greatness of online mangas, I've been reading through quite a lot. :sweatingbullets:

Also mangas keep me intrigued most of the time 8)

That's also one of my other reasons to read manga instead of watching the anime versions, but usually I'll watch the anime after I read so I'll compare, or I'll do both at once :D

Guest chopper!

anime^^

i like to watch rather than click and read. also, the subs are faster than the scanlation groups. my favorite mangas take a while to come out or people drop them, so i got tired of waiting^^;; and since most of my mangas got turned into anime, anime has stuck by me^^ (though i loved mangas more at first lol)

Guest .rainbow

I read manga, but if there's an anime, I'd watch the anime instead ^^

I watch anime because if I read manga I'd finish too quickly then I'd be bored lolol

anime^^

i like to watch rather than click and read. also, the subs are faster than the scanlation groups. my favorite mangas take a while to come out or people drop them, so i got tired of waiting^^;; and since most of my mangas got turned into anime, anime has stuck by me^^ (though i loved mangas more at first lol)

^Yeah, that's true, and I understand :D Sometimes I usually just watch the anime instead of waiting for the manga and when the manga comes out I'll still just read it :D

I read manga, but if there's an anime, I'd watch the anime instead ^^

I watch anime because if I read manga I'd finish too quickly then I'd be bored lolol

Lol, have you tried reading and watching at the same time?

Guest sallyen

Definitely manga. I get easily bored with anime because everything happens too slow.

With manga you can decide the pace.

If something exciting is happening, you might like to read faster. If something is really beautiful written or drawn, you might like to read slower etc etc.

You can't do that with a anime, everything is timed and that's why I don't enjoy it as much as others. ^^

Definitely manga. I get easily bored with anime because everything happens too slow.

With manga you can decide the pace.

If something exciting is happening, you might like to read faster. If something is really beautiful written or drawn, you might like to read slower etc etc.

You can't do that with a anime, everything is timed and that's why I don't enjoy it as much as others. ^^

^Nicely said, but in some anime's it's more action packed than the manga itself (I've never seen one but I believe there are a few). And what type of manga genre do you like?

Guest nauticalblue

For me, it really depends on the genre. I like action, mystery, and thriller genres, in which case I think watching anime can be much more fun. I love watching fluid battle scenes, or getting the dark aura of an anime overall. However, for romance, I think it's a much better fit for manga. I agree that pacing can get really slow in romance anime, so it's nice to read the manga instead, where you can go faster through slow parts, or slow down to absorb a scene that you particularly like.

Guest JohnnyPonny

it depends on what your watching , currently iam only Reading / Watching Bleach and i find it to be alot better as an anime than manga :) thats just imo ofc 

Guest megawatt

Manga! For pretty much the same reasons as others have mentioned. Usually the art is better in manga too and if I want a new desktop or something I can just save and use. Also I like to save really meaningful or emotional scenes which is much easier with manga. Another thing is if there's any lengthy explanations about certain phrases or slang. With anime I'd have to pause or go back if I miss it which really annoys me. When I see two separate subs, one with dialogue and one with an explanation of the dialogue I just start to panic and dart back and forth between the two lol I don't even know why I feel such a sense of urgency.

it depends on what your watching , currently iam only Reading / Watching Bleach and i find it to be alot better as an anime than manga :) thats just imo ofc 

Watched and read bleached :P It was the first .__. and I was addicted to reading and watching it :P I watched up to episode 300+ from episode 1 and now I just stopped cause I'm focused on something else.

Manga! For pretty much the same reasons as others have mentioned. Usually the art is better in manga too and if I want a new desktop or something I can just save and use. Also I like to save really meaningful or emotional scenes which is much easier with manga. Another thing is if there's any lengthy explanations about certain phrases or slang. With anime I'd have to pause or go back if I miss it which really annoys me. When I see two separate subs, one with dialogue and one with an explanation of the dialogue I just start to panic and dart back and forth between the two lol I don't even know why I feel such a sense of urgency.

^That happens to me all the time and it ticks me off, cause I miss the plot of the anime and I have to keep going back to the spot wear I can't read (cause the anime talks slowly but the subs skip as if it's the end of the world) so sometime's I just decide to read instead of watch, but when I watch anime, I usually have a small snack :D (Don't worry I'm not fat.) 

For me, it really depends on the genre. I like action, mystery, and thriller genres, in which case I think watching anime can be much more fun. I love watching fluid battle scenes, or getting the dark aura of an anime overall. However, for romance, I think it's a much better fit for manga. I agree that pacing can get really slow in romance anime, so it's nice to read the manga instead, where you can go faster through slow parts, or slow down to absorb a scene that you particularly like.

^Yeah, I see that's what a lot of manga readers or anime watchers tend to do, they want to absorb the scene a lot, and I couldn't disagree more, the battle scenes in the anime are good but the downside is that they only last for a very short while, and the rest of the episode is just staring or boring dialogue. 

But I read the manga called Berserk and it's packed full of action, I'm not sure if there is an anime for it but if there is I'll definitely watch as it'll be action packed :D

Guest monkeyshinobi

Nowadays I only read manga. But yes for shonen manga, usually the ones like dbz or bleach with long battle scenes, anime would be good. But even then, i still read the manga. It's quicker to just read the manga. I do like reading the manga and then watching the anime afterwards. I like to see how the series is animated :]

In terms of storyline, I'd go with manga for the complete, thorough plot. For aesthetics, I'll go with anime because I like animation itself and the seiyuu.

I would go for manga only if I had the physical copy because I don't like scrolling up and down. But I opt for anime since I want to enjoy the series effortlessly and the story comes to life more in this form.

In terms of storyline, I'd go with manga for the complete, thorough plot. For aesthetics, I'll go with anime because I like animation itself and the seiyuu.

I would go for manga only if I had the physical copy because I don't like scrolling up and down. But I opt for anime since I want to enjoy the series effortlessly and the story comes to life more in this form.

Yeah that's true, I would usually try to find the physical copy of the manga but if there is none then I'll have to resort to reading it online, but usually I find the book after I read it online so I just borrow it, and read it again. 

I usually watch anime if it has a fight scene of some sort and read if there is a soothing and romantic scene. 

Guest Pikerachu

I prefer to read manga, because there are sometimes omakes that the animation crew leaves out.

Also, I think the quality of the drawings in manga tend to be better (although this is up to opinion @ v @;;) for me~ Looking at all the lovely artwork~

I haven't watched anime in a while, really. Manga seems to do it satisfactorily LOL. ^^~

Guest creaturedreams

All manga based animes that I watch involve action so I prefer anime, even though  it may be cluttered with some irrelevant scenes and fillers. But the motion adds that necessary dimension.

Guest Etoiile

Manga, since the anime version is pretty short and some good parts from the manga are missing, so :x I enjoyed watching the anime version of Naruto, Bleach and Soul Eater, though.

Guest Amoona1430270031

I'm a manga person. Manga usually has more details and most of the time it's the 'original' story. Not saying anime is bad cause I love anime, but I know that the studios that make them don't have the budget to do it exactly like the manga or have the same quality.

Archived