Would you rather Read Manga or Watch Anime?

_RaiN_

I haven't done a whole lot of either in recent years (more focused on American comics and cartoons, lol), but I used to read more manga than watch anime. Either they deviate to much from the original source material for my liking (Samurai Deeper Kyo anime, ugh. The manga was much better, and I didn't even finish reading it all); or the animation quality is not up to standards for me. I usually just watch anime movies that aren't connected to a manga, like Studio Ghibli.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Eun_neptune_Him

I usually enjoy watching the anime first. If I find the story good I`ll buy the manga and read it because sometimes they leave out a lot of events in the anime.

Guest dearheart

I prefer to watch anime for some reason. If they deviate from the manga I find that out in forums and things and I prefer anime because it tends to have a better atmosphere - music, sound effects, etc. I guess I'm a very visual person and I prefer a fast-action anime with lots of colour to reading manga. ^^

Contrary to everything I just said, I tend to prefer subbed to dubbed. I HATE DUBBED VOICES. XD They annoy me. And alot of subtle hints in Japanese language get very much lost in translation ><

Guest peace93

that's a hard question. let's see...when i was younger i knew anime first, then learned about manga...sometimes the manga is better, but then again sometimes the anime is more interesting...ugg i can't choose. i failed this question haha

for me

..i prefer reading the manga because the story is complete and i can see the original idea of the mangaka.

aside from that, the drawings in the mangas i read are much better than in their anime version,,sleep.gif

• 7 months later...

Whichever is the original. If an anime is adapted from manga I read the manga. If a manga is adapted from an anime I watch the anime.

I'm like that with everything. Books, movies, anime, etc. Always have to watch/read the original form (because that's how the brain(s) behind whatever it is intended it to be taken in).

Guest ReplayMVP

If I had to choose, I'd rather read manga.
But personally, I like to read the manga and watch the anime after to see what filler episodes to skip and also to see how well they interpreted the manga in the anime.
I also like the omakes and color pages haha.

I rather read a manga then watch an anime.
A lot of animes are based on mangas anyways, but most of the time, the animes do not stay with the anime.
Seen so many that were so far off from the manga that I couldn't watch it anymore.

@ReplayMVP: Fair enough, I'd prefer to read and watch both at the same time to make comparisons :P
@MousyMuso: I think you meant, they don't stick with the manga? It's quite possible because the developers probably find it difficult to animate a scene with too much dramatic movement, etc.
_RaiN_

@ReplayMVP: Fair enough, I'd prefer to read and watch both at the same time to make comparisons

:P

@MousyMuso: I think you meant, they don't stick with the manga? It's quite possible because the developers probably find it difficult to animate a scene with too much dramatic movement, etc.

_RaiN_

Guest Yuukee

I used to watch a lot anime yrs ago but it changed after when I got my ipad2 xd So I spend more time reading manga these days since less time spent and I can read it wherever whenever at anytime on my iPad hehehe :D

Guest zer0mg

I definitely like reading manga better. There is much more variety, and I can find the genres and kinds of art that I like easier.

I like watching anime as well, but good ones are very difficult for me to find. I am really picky when it comes to drawing style, as it is seldom as pleasing as in manga. And sadly, I don't think there are many storylines that cater to my kind of audience.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fangirlanime

I like to read manga but i prefer to watch anime.it is better to watch the action, the fight scenes than trying to imagine(if it's an action manga).

Guest ReplayMVP

@fangirlanime I see where you're coming from. When I'm reading Naruto or Fairy Tail it's so difficult to visualize the fight scenes but upon watching it, it's a lot better.

• 3 weeks later...

@MrPower: Haha, that certainly happens to people, they expect a lot more of the anime, but they get disappointed if they don't something similar as to what they were expecting to see, but it's also very hard to make the fight scenes in anime's super epic as they are in the manga's because the producers have to work really hard frame by frame, and I certainly know what some of them would definitely would've liked to make some anime episodes a lot better (:
_RaiN_

I've always kind of preferred anime over manga. I feel like it's easier, and quicker to understand. Another reason is that I hate having to read manga online. I want to actually feel the book, and the paper, and get comfy somewhere to sit and read it. But I'm short on money these days.

Archived