What do you think about the auditions for non-Asians?

Guest Thalita

Guest divinexoath

but you have to admit that we DO have legitamite reasons for why non-asians don't have a good chance of making it in kpop... half your post is inspiration stuff... that stuff about "did it hit your nerve" or something like that didn't really bother me because it isn't true. you say you hate racism, but racism exists in a large degree in korea... my mom was watching a show with a non-asian in a singing competition.. i forgot what its called and she was like "it would be easier for them to sing in america than in korea" except in korean. i asked why and she said koreans are really racist. i said i know, koreans are like the most racist people.. and then she said if you think we're bad than the koreans in korean are even worse.. LOL. koreans really are the most racist people, we have so much pride in our race.. LOL.. it'll be really difficult for someone to break through that pride. wait.. if they have all those "good" qualities then why don't they just try an easier market.

you make it sound like koreans have never seen a non-asian before.. LOL. koreans already listen to established non-asian artists, so would another non-asian artist really garner that much attention? even if they do garner attention, it might be negative more than positive.

i'm noticing that the people who keep insisting that non-asians can make it into the industry are all non-asian. LOL.

Excessive amount of line breaks is excessive~

As for the bolded part, it scares me how you say that like it's something to flaunt.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Excessive amount of line breaks is excessive~

As for the bolded part, it scares me how you say that like it's something to flaunt.

what's a line break?

koreans know that they are really racist.. i mean we admit it ourselves. my korean friends and i are always commenting on how racist koreans are... we're like .. not exactly mocking but like making fun of it. LOL. whatever. it doesn't really matter because i think we hide our racism very well.. it's just in the inside we're racist, but we don't show it.. or at least most koreans i know are like that. it doesn't really have a large effect on others since we hide it, but i guess it sort of effects you since you're trying to become a singer in korea. )': the koreans in america are a lot more liberal than the koreans in korea.

edit: also, why is having pride in our race bad? nationalism is bad? that means we love our country..

edit2: i'm not saying it's a good thing that we're racist o_o;.. idk. o_o; i'm just used to being around asians than non-asians because of where i grew up so it'll be really weird having a non-asian.

Guest divinexoath

what's a line break?

koreans know that they are really racist.. i mean we admit it ourselves. my korean friends and i are always commenting on how racist koreans are... we're like .. not exactly mocking but like making fun of it. LOL. whatever. it doesn't really matter because i think we hide our racism very well.. it's just in the inside we're racist, but we don't show it.. or at least most koreans i know are like that. it doesn't really have a large effect on others since we hide it, but i guess it sort of effects you since you're trying to become a singer in korea. )': the koreans in america are a lot more liberal than the koreans in korea.

edit: also, why is having pride in our race bad? nationalism is bad? that means we love our country..

Line break? Every time you press enter, you've made a line break. Basically, you press enter a lot between your paragraphs. xD'

Racism is bad. Period. I don't know how you've ever attended a history class without knowing that, unless they didn't give you the full story. You can love your country but there comes a fine line between loving your country because it's your country and hating or discriminating against people from other countries because they're NOT from your country. I love my country, but I can respect people from other countries. I can treat them as equals, and even as superiors! (I've met some crazy smart people from other countries and also some saintly, perfectly kind people... The kind that make you look at yourself and go "...D8" @_@) I don't feel like I should have any more chance to be able to do anything than people from other countries, except maybe legal issues that would require a person to be a citizen of the US, obviously. xD Then I'd probably have the upper hand... but not due to me thinking Americans are better, just due to the fact that the law is the law.

really? is kpop really that unique? because i just typed in jpop and cpop in youtube and they sound pretty similar to kpop. LOL.. also there ARE some english songs that sound like kpop too..... you can sing kpop-ish songs in america.. i don't think lady gaga's songs sound like anything familiar.

...xD' How many girl groups do you see in America that are mainstream? The Pussycat Dolls. That's it. Danity Kane disbanded, Girlicious was never really huge to begin with. How many female rappers do you see that are mainstream, and DON'T rap about disgusting or superficial things? How many MALE rappers do you see that are mainstream and DON'T rap about disgusting or superficial things? How many boy groups do you see that are mainstream? Zero. How many male pop acts who can both sing and dance live are there? I can name three: Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, and Usher. How many female pop acts who can both sing and dance live are there? Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera, Madonna. How many of those pop acts DON'T heavily use sex appeal to help sell their albums? Zero. How many ballads do you hear on American pop acts' albums? Generally, one or two. The rest fall into "RnB" territory. How many addictive dances are in American pop music videos? (Not rap; pop.) Zero. How often do you see American celebrities in CFs? I only ever see Drew Barrymore and Taylor Swift in the Covergirl commercials, and Justin Bieber or Jessica Simpson in the Proactive commercials. How many celebrities who started off as singers can hold a stable acting career in America based on talent (not fanbase) alone, both in TV shows and feature films? How likely is it that an American singer would ever appear on a variety show? Heck, do variety shows even exist in America? As far as I've seen, they don't.

There are vast differences in Korean entertainment culture and American entertainment culture. For you not to see that as a performer, Korea gives you more chances to perform, is just strange to me. As for JPOP and CPOP, I'm unsure as to what their industries are like, but as for the music, it's not ALWAYS the same. Besides that, Korean stars often go to perform and even sometimes release singles (or albums) in Japan and China. How many Japanese singers come out with a Korean album that's big enough to make it to mainstream media? How many Chinese singers do the same? I've followed POPSEOUL and Allkpop and Soompi for years, and I've never heard of one. Meilin tried, but that single pretty much flopped. Younha, I hear, was popular in Japan first and then transitioned back to Korea. That could be wrong, but it's just what I've heard. Again, I find it strange that you can't see that in Korea, you'd have more chances (and places) to do what you love--performing.

Guest Hae-Jin

@torchik37-

First:

You are right it isn't impossible, nothing really is and i'm sure one day it can happen :) Like my mom always says, its always better to try and fail then to never try at all. A new company controlled by someone from the U.S still won't change anything, plus I feel like that then the U.S is trying to take control of the Korean music industry. Yes people are close minded but in a way you are too. There is more to Korea than just it's pop culture, there is other parts of the culture that controls the mind set of the people. You think we are being close minded by saying that non-asians have a 0.000001% chance of making it in the korean music industry, but it is the truth at the moment so other people are being close minded by ignoring it. Even if the percentage is small it doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Second:

I am Korean too, 80% of my family lives in Korea. I know my culture. You said you were half right? My relatives like American music because its different from Korea and none of us hate non-asians(well my older generation family has problems with it sometimes, but they have no problem with interracial marriage so they mustn't be really racist). I have friends from all over the world, not just from the "diverse" box called America so I was raised 3rd cultured. I don't mind if a non-asian tries to make it in Korea(An I'm pretty sure no one in this thread said not to try), all I'm saying is it'll be harder. We aren't being pessimistic but realistic because at the moment this is the truth. And saying "Asians are resistant to change." is both racist and wrong, not only Asians are resistant to change but many people even my non-asian friends are resistant to change in racial/cultural ways so you can't label just asians as that.

I hate racism.

If there is will there is a way.

If you're willing to work for something and adapt to achieve it,

anything is possible.

The most annoying rationalizing I hear in these type of topics is:

"Oh you're just a fangirl" or the like.

Everyone is a fan of something they do passionately.

Would you rather someone say: "Because I want attention."

I would rather listen to someone who has the passion to follow their dreams.

Passion is the difference between the people on here telling people who can and cannot realize their dream and the ones who have already realized their dreams.

Everyone in here crushing hopes and dreams, you need to look deep inside yourselves. You've got some major insecurities. If you're mad that someone who isn't Korean or Asian has actual talent and NATURAL beauty combined with the ability to dance and learn other languages, perhaps you need to learn to help yourself and stop trying to "help" others out of your way. :) Did I hit a nerve? My bad~

For everyone reading that has an impossible dream:

★★ You can do anything you set your heart out to do. ★★

★★ The world is yours if you're willing to work for it. ★★

★★ Never give up. Never back down. ★★

★★ Let them haters hate and the jealous jeal. ★★

★★ One day, they'll be watching you shine. :) ★★

-Nyuli of R3GAL.R

Edit:

In the words of Will Smith in Pursuit of Happiness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_yW3152Ffc

I haven't seen anyone try to crush peoples hopes or dreams, people are crushing their own hopes and dreams. If someone tells another person that it will be harder and extremely difficult, then that person's dreams are crushed and they give up then that really wasn't their dream because they basically were hurt because they were told it would be harder than someone with the "wanted" racial background. And even if someone told them they should give up and their dreams were crushed, again then it wasn't really their dream because they gave up just like that. If it was really their dream then they would have listened and accepted what the other person said to them, but have kept going (I don't believe in ignoring something you don't like to hear). Also if if some has the talent then by all means they should keep trying, I won't be mad. But when you said 'NATURAL beauty' in that it kind of bugged me, because in that statement you're basically saying that Asians/Koreans aren't really naturally beautiful that we always get plastic surgery, or that we're not as talented as non-asians(At least that's how I'm perceiving it :P...sorry if I'm wrong).

Also in my opinion if the world became open minded and accepting of one another, we wouldn't need countries or borders, we wouldn't need separate cultures, or even separate entertainment/music industries, we would be all the same even if we have dark skin or light. And if Korea/Asia became fully accepting to non-asians, I wouldn't find it any different from America. Also asian culture only really lasted this long because of the isolation from non-asians, so when non-asians start becoming idols in korea, i wouldn't be surprised if some parts of the culture will be different(it has happened to many cultures/countries around the world). There will always be a a good and a bad side about cultures. In this case its Asia's xenophobia/"racism". But this is all the beauty of culture.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Line break? Every time you press enter, you've made a line break. Basically, you press enter a lot between your paragraphs. xD'

Racism is bad. Period. I don't know how you've ever attended a history class without knowing that, unless they didn't give you the full story. You can love your country but there comes a fine line between loving your country because it's your country and hating or discriminating against people from other countries because they're NOT from your country. I love my country, but I can respect people from other countries. I can treat them as equals, and even as superiors! (I've met some crazy smart people from other countries and also some saintly, perfectly kind people... The kind that make you look at yourself and go "...D8" @_@) I don't feel like I should have any more chance to be able to do anything than people from other countries, except maybe legal issues that would require a person to be a citizen of the US, obviously. xD Then I'd probably have the upper hand... but not due to me thinking Americans are better, just due to the fact that the law is the law.

...xD' How many girl groups do you see in America that are mainstream? The Pussycat Dolls. That's it. Danity Kane disbanded, Girlicious was never really huge to begin with. How many female rappers do you see that are mainstream, and DON'T rap about disgusting or superficial things? How many MALE rappers do you see that are mainstream and DON'T rap about disgusting or superficial things? How many boy groups do you see that are mainstream? Zero. How many male pop acts who can both sing and dance live are there? I can name three: Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, and Usher. How many female pop acts who can both sing and dance live are there? Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera, Madonna. How many of those pop acts DON'T heavily use sex appeal to help sell their albums? Zero. How many ballads do you hear on American pop acts' albums? Generally, one or two. The rest fall into "RnB" territory. How many addictive dances are in American pop music videos? (Not rap; pop.) Zero. How often do you see American celebrities in CFs? I only ever see Drew Barrymore and Taylor Swift in the Covergirl commercials, and Justin Bieber or Jessica Simpson in the Proactive commercials. How many celebrities who started off as singers can hold a stable acting career in America based on talent (not fanbase) alone, both in TV shows and feature films? How likely is it that an American singer would ever appear on a variety show? Heck, do variety shows even exist in America? As far as I've seen, they don't.

There are vast differences in Korean entertainment culture and American entertainment culture. For you not to see that as a performer, Korea gives you more chances to perform, is just strange to me. As for JPOP and CPOP, I'm unsure as to what their industries are like, but as for the music, it's not ALWAYS the same. Besides that, Korean stars often go to perform and even sometimes release singles (or albums) in Japan and China. How many Japanese singers come out with a Korean album that's big enough to make it to mainstream media? How many Chinese singers do the same? I've followed POPSEOUL and Allkpop and Soompi for years, and I've never heard of one. Meilin tried, but that single pretty much flopped. Younha, I hear, was popular in Japan first and then transitioned back to Korea. That could be wrong, but it's just what I've heard. Again, I find it strange that you can't see that in Korea, you'd have more chances (and places) to do what you love--performing.

I know racism is bad, who doesn’t know that? LOL.. it’s just part of our.. nature(?) I guess. LOL.. honestly, I’ve never met a Korean who isn’t a little racist unless that person has been influenced by non-asians A LOT… FOR EXAMPLE, those wannabe gangster Asians that are always following African Americans or Hispanics LOL. the Koreans who are in touch with the Korean culture tend to be at least a little racist.. It’s not like we hate them.. we just.. idk.. LOL… we like ourselves more.. I really don’t know how to word it. LOL. Koreans DO know that those perfect people deserve praise and respect and stuff. LOL.. we’re not ignorant.. we actually DO give them praise and respect if they deserve it.. we just love ourselves more. If a Korean person were to do those good things then they would receive more love than if a non-Korean person were to do the same thing. LOL.. that’s the best way I can explain it.

I don’t know a lot about American groups.. I just listen to the top 100 Billboard songs. LOL. So I’ll just comment on what I know. ^^ Korean idols actually do use sex appeal.. that’s why there is so much controversy over underage female idols overexposing themselves. The whole idol turned actor thing is only making things harder for real rookie actors.. I read on allkpop, I think, that rookie actors are advised to turn into idols then actors cause it’s an easier route. LOL.. the last few sentences makes it seem like you want to enter kpop because you can achieve more opportunities for exposure and fame in Korea.. LOL.  Sorry about my LOL’s.. I just type it even though I don’t laugh. O__O;..

America has an equal amount of chances.. how does Korea have more? I don’t understand.. more chances for variety shows? Don’t you want to be a singer? Then why do you care about going on variety shows? America has “America’s best dance crew,” “American idol,” “so you think you can dance,” “Americans got talent or something like that” and etc.. korea has.. what? Mbc star audition or something? That’s not nearly as big as the American counterparts. O_O; I don’t think Koreans have ever released Chinese singles or albums.. it’s cause Japan is more open to foreigners than Korea is open to foreigners. The last few sentences makes it seem like you want to join kpop because there are more opportunities for exposure and fame than other markets.. again. O__O; LOL.  If you love to perform then why can’t you perform in other places?

You CAN try to enter the industry without an agency behind you.. it’ll just be EXTREMELYYYYYY difficult to promote and stuff.. if you do want to enter an agency, you’ll have to do whatever they say and I don’t think you can really participate a lot in the production of your songs or dances. Are you really sharing your love of kpop by doing whatever the agencies tell you to do? You’re just following orders.

Guest divinexoath

=.= No but as a performer, wouldn't you, I don't know, want to perform more because you love it? Or even if you're just good at it and you don't even love it, to make yourself a living? Furthermore, wouldn't more exposure be the more (obviously) economically savvy strategy? I love how it's completely normal for a group like Girls' Day or 2NE1 to participate in small projects before debuting to up their "exposure" and that's completely alright, but then when something I say is interpreted that way, the connotation seemingly changes.

xD'... I... don't really think the "sex appeal" in the Korean entertainment industry compares with, say, Christina Aguilera's use of sex appeal, for example.

=.= Can you honestly tell me that every idol is JUST a singer? Being an "idol" requires you to be good at everything. That's what I'm saying here. I personally love dance, acting, singing, rapping, and entertaining people in general. Therefore, I would personally love to be part of an industry where I'm EXPECTED to do those things for money... You get what I'm saying? If I were to (by some miracle) become an idol in Korea, I would be doing everything I'm passionate about every day... Whereas in America, if I'm a singer who tries to break into acting, I'd be met with bad reviews and many more critics JUST because I started out singing. Same goes for many actors who try to make the transition into singer. And rarely do female singers ever get the chance to rap on their own track. In America it's more like "one or the other" than "do it all"... Singers may now and then be in movies or shows, but probably not nearly as often as they'd like to be.

? Sharing your love for anything can be as simple as entertaining an audience. So because I didn't direct and choreograph my highschool's performance of Thoroughly Modern Millie, I wasn't sharing my love for musicals? People in the audience weren't enjoying it at all? Because I was just "following orders," I wasn't enjoying it at all while simultaneously entertaining people? That's a rather poorly attempted point...

When it comes down to it, why do you care what my motives are for wanting to be part of KPOP? Even if I were to (by some miracle) make it, you could simply choose not to listen to my songs/watch my programs/etc. Even now, you don't even have to believe in me. You don't have to believe that non-Asians can make it at all. The whole reason I posted here was because I couldn't believe someone was actually suggesting that non-Koreans want to change KPOP into something that's not KPOP. All I really want is for my passion for the music to be acknowledged as genuine. I have no secret motives. I have no "Korean fetish" and no unfounded dislike for my own country. I have no desire to be "Asian." I just want to be part of something I really love, if I can. Even if I don't make it, my audition might help someone else make it. If that's all I can show for it in the end, then that's good enough for me. But for now, I haven't had a chance to really pursue it, and I'm trying to promote participation in KPOP among anyone who loves it--Korean, Asian, or not. After all, shouldn't we always strive to give people a chance to do what they love?

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I'm not interested in typing up a long essay to try to get you to get it. If you don't, then that sounds like a personal problem. As for cutting off most of your post, why bother with the rest of it when you said the same thing that dozens of others before you have said? It was all rather unoriginal and I'd made arguments against it before, so I wasn't going to bother rehashing old replies. For your benefit, I've quoted and read your entire reply although most of it was "Herp derp ignorance herp derp." : )

Okay trying to come across as smart when you really got owned is just your problem really. You were the one that got upset, over something I clearly debated on both sides of the spectrum...Insinuating that I am stupid is just you stooping down to a level of childish name calling...Also how is my post ignorant? I lived in Japan and South Korea during when I was working down here for an internship...I've dealt first hand of what it is like to live and work down their...I think you are the one being ignorant about a place you've never dealt first hand.

Also you are the only one being butt-hurt about this...I've made my peace and explained myself thoroughly throughout this entire thread...You are just too lazy too read through it...Consider yourself on my ignore...I'm done arguing my stance on this subject.

A

You misused the word "ironic."

kay trying to come across as smart when you really got owned is just your problem really. You were the one that got upset, over something I clearly debated on both sides of the spectrum...Insinuating that I am stupid is just you stooping down to a level of childish name calling...Also how is my post ignorant? I lived in Japan and South Korea during when I was working down here for an internship...I've dealt first hand of what it is like to live and work down their...I think you are the one being ignorant about a place you've never dealt first hand.

Also you are the only one being butt-hurt about this...I've made my peace and explained myself thoroughly throughout this entire thread...You are just too lazy too read through it...Consider yourself on my ignore...I'm done arguing my stance on this subject.

* Also I didn't misuse the word ironic because I find it ironic you seemed to get so butt-hurt about something as an opinion or a fact...FACT: I gave you examples of Xenophobic tendencies within the Asian culture. OPINION: I just stated my opinion that I probably won't or want to see a non-Asian in the Kpop Idol Industry in the future...Why would I want to see a non-Asian who I can't relate to? I relate and look up to Korean Kpop Idols because I'm Korean. Their aesthetic and history background is very similar to mine. But does that make me racist? No...it's just my preference...And my preference is probably more similar in taste to the Korean and Asian populace. The irony I found in post is that you were more butt-hurt about the blatent truth than actually being offended over nothing at all.

And sure you didn't want to write an essay? Because it seems to me you really didn't have any comeback at all so that's what you wrote as an excuse. And why thank you for insinuating that I'm stupid. Another irony here: You calling me stupid/slash ignorant yet you stoop down to a level of troll by calling me names...BRAVO!!! :rolleyes:

Guest psychoticskye

People should really learn proper grammar and how to use spell-check before trying to start e-arguments. It's hard to take someone seriously when they can't properly type and convey their points. Just sayin'. Also, everyone seems to think that the Korean industry and people as a whole are so dead set against change because they are prideful and apparently "racist". Lol. Are we not ALL on here right now typing in English? Hmm. Looks like change and conformity to me. If Koreans on here can learn to speak English and adapt to that language, then I don't see the big hype over a non-Asian idol in kpop. Change can come if people are accepting.

Guest divinexoath

xD' Okay, 'cause "ignorant" is a name, not an adjective. Yeah. And 'cause I totes said you were ignorant about Korea. Even though my reply to your first post was entirely questioning the way you insinuated that non-Asians feel about KPOP, and had little to do with the ins and outs of the industry at all. Which, incidentally, is being ignorant, when you assume things about how other people feel. Just sayin'.

Irony.

an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected. Example: My friend and I said literally two days before receiving an assignment, "I better not get inflatables." We both got inflatables. That is irony. Because you specifically said you "might get flamed," you were expecting "butthurt" replies. Hence, no irony. Sorry, try again.

an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc. Possibly, however, I don't think this was the manner in which you intended to use it.

I'm sorry that your response didn't evoke enough inspiration in me to bother with typing out the same thing I've posted elsewhere. Meanwhile there are other people here who are provoking new thoughts and replies to my mind, so clearly it's not an issue of that I didn't have anything to say. Rather, I had a lot to say, but didn't have the inspiration to do it.

PS; Great quoting right there.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

=.= No but as a performer, wouldn't you, I don't know, want to perform more because you love it? Or even if you're just good at it and you don't even love it, to make yourself a living? Furthermore, wouldn't more exposure be the more (obviously) economically savvy strategy? I love how it's completely normal for a group like Girls' Day or 2NE1 to participate in small projects before debuting to up their "exposure" and that's completely alright, but then when something I say is interpreted that way, the connotation seemingly changes.

xD'... I... don't really think the "sex appeal" in the Korean entertainment industry compares with, say, Christina Aguilera's use of sex appeal, for example.

=.= Can you honestly tell me that every idol is JUST a singer? Being an "idol" requires you to be good at everything. That's what I'm saying here. I personally love dance, acting, singing, rapping, and entertaining people in general. Therefore, I would personally love to be part of an industry where I'm EXPECTED to do those things for money... You get what I'm saying? If I were to (by some miracle) become an idol in Korea, I would be doing everything I'm passionate about every day... Whereas in America, if I'm a singer who tries to break into acting, I'd be met with bad reviews and many more critics JUST because I started out singing. Same goes for many actors who try to make the transition into singer. And rarely do female singers ever get the chance to rap on their own track. In America it's more like "one or the other" than "do it all"... Singers may now and then be in movies or shows, but probably not nearly as often as they'd like to be.

? Sharing your love for anything can be as simple as entertaining an audience. So because I didn't direct and choreograph my highschool's performance of Thoroughly Modern Millie, I wasn't sharing my love for musicals? People in the audience weren't enjoying it at all? Because I was just "following orders," I wasn't enjoying it at all while simultaneously entertaining people? That's a rather poorly attempted point...

When it comes down to it, why do you care what my motives are for wanting to be part of KPOP? Even if I were to (by some miracle) make it, you could simply choose not to listen to my songs/watch my programs/etc. Even now, you don't even have to believe in me. You don't have to believe that non-Asians can make it at all. The whole reason I posted here was because I couldn't believe someone was actually suggesting that non-Koreans want to change KPOP into something that's not KPOP. All I really want is for my passion for the music to be acknowledged as genuine. I have no secret motives. I have no "Korean fetish" and no unfounded dislike for my own country. I have no desire to be "Asian." I just want to be part of something I really love, if I can. Even if I don't make it, my audition might help someone else make it. If that's all I can show for it in the end, then that's good enough for me. But for now, I haven't had a chance to really pursue it, and I'm trying to promote participation in KPOP among anyone who loves it--Korean, Asian, or not. After all, shouldn't we always strive to give people a chance to do what they love?

If you love to perform then you can perform anywhere.. or at least somewhere where people will be more accepting of you. If you don’t love it then why would you want to suffer through all the things idols have to suffer through like malnutrition, lack of sleep, and etc.. just to make yourself a living? If you’re trying to be an idol then you are probably still a teenager so just do well in school and find something you actually love and is willing to work hard for. If you’re not a teenager then it’ll be even more impossible. I think you should stop using Asians as examples because you will be treated and interpreted differently than those Asians you keep using as examples. Girls Day and 2ne1? Both groups do not have any non-Asians in them so of course Koreans will look at them in a more positive light than if a non-Asian were to do them.. Start using non-Asians as examples and then they can be considered as legitimate and reliable cases. If you use Koreans as an example.. that’s a rather poorly attempted point….. LOL hehe I copied you. 8D

Yes, but it’s still sex appeal. Or at least the Korean version of it.

Okay I don’t even know how our argument over non-Asians in Asia turned into this. That paragraph is kind of irrelevant so I’m not going to finish reading it or comment on it.

But as an idol you’re basically being controlled… your whole image is fabricated by the company.. they tell you what to do and don’t do and stuff like that.. for musicals it’s JUST while you’re performing, but as for idols your whole public persona is being controlled by the company.

I honestly don’t really care what your motives are, I was just pointing it out. Are you special? Why do you I have not watch a program just because YOU are in it? LOL.. you probably won’t become very successful to make it into popular programs so.. it doesn’t really matter I guess.. Kpop IS Asians. Adding non-asians IS changing it.. technically. Can you honestly say that kpop will be EXACTLY the same when non-asians start to enter? Your passion for music can be acknowledged without actually entering the kpop industry.. there are singers on youtube who share their love for kpop by doing covers and stuff, but they have no plan on actually becoming Korean singers.. they write it on their info thing that they love to sing, but they do not intend to become professionals. You CAN be part of something without joining it by simply listening to it, doing covers, etc. How will your audition help someone else? O__O? if you really love it you can enter it without an agency to back you up.. I wrote that already. Give people a chance to do what they love? They can do that without entering the industry by just doing covers on youtube. Do you mean do what they love while making a living? It won’t even be that big of an income either..

People should really learn proper grammar and how  to use spell-check before trying to start e-arguments. It's hard to take  someone seriously when they can't properly type and convey their  points. Just sayin'. Also, everyone seems to think  that the Korean industry and people as a whole are so dead set against  change because they are prideful and apparently "racist". Lol. Are we  not ALL on here right now typing in English? Hmm. Looks like change and  conformity to me. If Koreans on here can learn to speak English and  adapt to that language, then I don't see the big hype over a non-Asian  idol in kpop. Change can come if people are accepting.                                                 

why does proper grammar and spell-check matter if the people we're making arguments against understand our points? as long as the other party understands.. i don't think anyone cares if you take us seriously or not because we're not taking this seriously.. or at least i'm not.. why are YOU taking this so seriously? LOL. Just sayin'. We aren't dead set against change, but we are quite resistant to it. how would you know if we are willing to accept change so easily? have you experienced it first hand? cause i have.. We're writing in English because this is an English forum.. writing in korean is against the rules.. LOL. wait i really don't understand how us learning to speak english relates to non-asians becoming korean idols.. we have to learn to speak english cause we're in america and go to american schools.. it's not something we wanted to learn, it's something we NEEDED to learn.. like how if an american were to live in korea then he/she has to learn korean to survive. yeah, change can come if people are accepting, but too bad koreans aren't.

Guest divinexoath

If you love to perform then you can perform anywhere.. or at least somewhere where people will be more accepting of you. "Oh honey we know you love dance but you should probably stick to something practical like becoming a secretary." If you don’t love it then why would you want to suffer through all the things idols have to suffer through like malnutrition, lack of sleep, and etc.. just to make yourself a living? If they suffer so badly, then why don't they quit? The answer to that question is my answer to your question. If you’re trying to be an idol then you are probably still a teenager so just do well in school and find something you actually love and is willing to work hard for. ...LMAO. I'm older than you. I'm in my second year of college. I'm already on track for my backup plans, you don't need to worry about my 'doing well in school.' [/makes Deans List every semester] If you’re not a teenager then it’ll be even more impossible. After School, anyone? I think you should stop using Asians as examples because you will be treated and interpreted differently than those Asians you keep using as examples. Girls Day and 2ne1? Both groups do not have any non-Asians in them so of course Koreans will look at them in a more positive light than if a non-Asian were to do them.. What I'm saying is that it's discriminatory to say it's okay for one group of people to pursue exposure but not for another to pursue exposure. Start using non-Asians as examples and then they can be considered as legitimate and reliable cases. But I wasn't really talking about the industry in that example... I was making an example of discrimination based on what you said. If you use Koreans as an example.. that’s a rather poorly attempted point….. LOL hehe I copied you. 8D Sheesh, and you thought I was a kid? Also, whatever happened to respect for your seniors? o.o

Yes, but it’s still sex appeal. Or at least the Korean version of it. Please. "Bo Peep" and "Heundeuryeo" were banned and they can't hold a candle to "Way You Love Me" by Keri Hilson. What I'm saying is that I would be embarrassed if I were a singer in America and made to do those kinds of things just for a music video, where my parents and younger cousins might see it. It's just PART of why I'd prefer the Korean entertainment industry. I actually appreciate the way they handle sex appeal.

Okay I don’t even know how our argument over non-Asians in Asia turned into this. That paragraph is kind of irrelevant so I’m not going to finish reading it or comment on it. You asked why I can't be happy with being a singer anywhere else. I answered that in Korea, idols do everything I would love to do, while in America, celebrities stick to generally one profession.

But as an idol you’re basically being controlled… your whole image is fabricated by the company.. they tell you what to do and don’t do and stuff like that.. for musicals it’s JUST while you’re performing, but as for idols your whole public persona is being controlled by the company. Now it just sounds like you're looking for ways to discourage me. xD See that right there, that's ridiculous. Also, I've been following Korean pop since I was 11 years old. I already know this stuff you're telling me. xD' It's not hard. Heck, if I had learned about KPOP just yesterday, I could read up on AllKpop articles and gather that much for myself.

I honestly don’t really care what your motives are, I was just pointing it out. Such a vague pronoun. I honestly can't remember what "it" you're referring to. Are you special? Why do you I have not watch a program just because YOU are in it? Woah grammar. LOL.. you probably won’t become very successful to make it into popular programs so.. it doesn’t really matter I guess.. Someone's starting to sound a bit discriminatory... Kpop IS Asians. Adding non-asians IS changing it.. technically. Can you honestly say that kpop will be EXACTLY the same when non-asians start to enter? Depending on the non-asian, yes, it's possible. I can't guarantee that every non-Asian would have good intentions, though. -shrug- Your passion for music can be acknowledged without actually entering the kpop industry.. there are singers on youtube who share their love for kpop by doing covers and stuff, but they have no plan on actually becoming Korean singers.. they write it on their info thing that they love to sing, but they do not intend to become professionals. But see the thing is that I do want to become a professional. I'm not entirely sure why the existence of people who DON'T want to pursue it as a career seems to be a valid reason why I shouldn't pursue my dreams, but okay. You CAN be part of something without joining it by simply listening to it, doing covers, etc. No, actually, I can't. It's a very different thing that's rather complex. If you don't understand it, I can't explain it to you. How will your audition help someone else? O__O? You seem so surprised. Just like Hangeng helped Chinese be more accepted in the Entertainment industry, just by auditioning, I am helping to show that non-Asians want to be part of KPOP, too, which eventually erodes away at the racial barrier. if you really love it you can enter it without an agency to back you up.. I wrote that already. Give people a chance to do what they love? They can do that without entering the industry by just doing covers on youtube. xD It's so funny how you're so comfortable saying that to me, but I bet you wouldn't ever think to tell SNSD or BoA or some other prominent KPOPstar that. According to you, they could've been equally as happy. So why did they choose to go professional? Again, the answer to that question is my answer. Do you mean do what they love while making a living? It won’t even be that big of an income either.. So now I SHOULD be more interested in the money than my passions? xD

Bold~

Also, as clever as mine and others' phrases may be, repetitive repeating of them is just unoriginal and takes up space.

Guest Hae-Jin

divinexoath-

I understand the reasons for wanting to be part of the korean music industry, but you're still taking the 'korean' part too lightly. You can keep trying to justify it by saying you don't want to change the culture of korea and just be part of it but that means changing korean culture for them to accept you. I still don't understand why you would limit yourself to just korea and reject the idea of being in the american industry too, why can't you change the standards in America by singing, dancing, and acting at the same time(who cares what others say about being a multi-talented celebrity, because if someone criticizes a multi-talented person then they have a problem), no one ever said when being part of the american industry you would have to use sex appeal like other hollywood stars. You shouldn't limit your dream to Korea because America could have the same opportunity if you try(or even other parts of the world). You may think you know everything about the korean music industry(its harshness, lack of freedom, etc.) but you don't know much about korean culture(and the dramas don't really show much about the real korean culture).

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

@ Moderators:

Please close this thread...It's starting to get ridiculous in here. If people wants to share what they think and feel, they get labeled a racist...

@ the butt-hurt over-sensitive people: Look none of us are saying you guys shouldn't audition. This thread at the beginning started off with harsh but realistic perspectives into this industry, now it's filled with over-sensitive Tom Cruises, who can't take criticism with a grain salt. You guys can audition all you want. Just don't get upset at some of us just because we didn't paint out a Rainbow Bright fantasy future -_-

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Bold~

Also, as clever as mine and others' phrases may be, repetitive repeating of them is just unoriginal and takes up space.

I did it in order for bolds

1. what? I’m saying u can enter different industries, whats with the secretary? LOL..

2. cause they signed a contract.. but you didn’t sign a contract, so nope. You can’t really use that as an answer.. plus the fact that ur non-asian means u will be treated even worse and taken advantage of even more.

3. whats a deans list? Second yr of college? Wow your old.. okay good you have back up plans cause u probably wont make it.

4. omg again don’t use Asians as examples cause ur not asian. U will be treated differenty than Asians so they’re not legitamite examples. Koreans just have it easier.

5. that’s just the way it is. U will be discriminated against even though it sounds unfair.. the world’s not perfect.

6. okay, but u used afterschool, 2ne1, and stuff so start using non-asians then I’ll believe.

7. did I ever say u were a kid? Idk what age u r. I didn’t know u were a senior LOL.. but now I know that u r. o.o

8. ok but u were criticizing sex appeal but Koreans use it too.. just in a more conservative way..

9. well.. only the popular idols become actors like yoona and etc. I don’t think a nonasian would be famous enough turn into an idol….. I mean even the half idols don’t beome that famous like isak from sm.. the company like threw her away.. and Alexander from ukiss.. they literally through him away even though they say he left agreeingly.

10. okay if u noe then you cant rly say ur sharing UR love for kpop. Ur just following orders. That’s what I wrote before..

11. me neither

12. hehe, you should read what I wrote to that other person who said that u should write in proper grammar. Idc about grammar as long as u get it. Oh crap I just reread it. LOL. I meant why do I have to not watch a program just because you’re in it. Sorry im watching drama while doing this so my mind isn’t really focused.

13. you will face discrimination the farther u go.. get used to it.

14. no it’ll be different seeing a white face in a yellow crowd. LOLOLOL.

15. cause u say u want to join to share love for kpop but they are sharing too.. idk I wrote that because u made it sound like the only way to share ur love for kpop and for ppl to acknowledge ur passion for music was to bcome a professional..

16. uh.. so the ppl who listen to and talk about kpop aren’t a part of it? So what are they? Outsiders?

17. uh.. non-asians already audition for asian companies.. I’ve seen plenty of non-asians auditioning before and I’m pretty sure that the companies know that some non-asians are hoping to join.. hangeng helped by actually joining it, so when you actually join it you can make that argument.

18. wait what? They’re Korean.. again please use non-asians.. oh gosh.. LOL. They chose to go professional cause they’re Korean wanting to become Korean idols. Ur not Korean so that can’t be ur answer.. try again.

19. I wrote that because u seem to want to make money while doing it, but it won’t be that much money anyways. I think idk I forgot. If ur not interested in money at all then just become a partner with youtueb while singing. LOL.

Even if that line was less than a line long? Takes up space on what? The internet? LOL..

Guest pasmado0415

OH MY GOSH! Stop with this foolishness! Shut the hell up, all of ya'll! Fighting over racism and stuff, ya'll should be embarrassed of yourselves! Look at all of you. For crying out loud.

First off, stop fighting with each other! This is not a battle. The title is "What do you think about the auditions for non-Asians?" not "Lets all fight about non-asians breaking into Kpop." Seriously, stop it. And who ever brought out the "R" word (Racist) should really be ashamed of themselves. Seriously. I mean come on. Act mature. Be adults, be proper and stop acting like your the shi* when your not. None of ya'll should be putting someone down on what they commented, take the criticism and move on with your life.

Second, you people need to get your act together. Face it, if you don't look Asian, get a life and move on. Ya ain't going to break into the Kpop industry anytime soon. Seriously, even if you do audition, convince the entertainment CEO, and everyone else in your given agency. . . You ain't goanna make it. One big old problem. . . . Us Neitzens. You think they wanna see an African-American person singing Kpop? No. You think they wanna see a Caucasian person singing Kpop? Hell no. They want Asians. Even if you say, "pshh so what about neitzens?!?! I don't care" Well listen, their the ones buying your albums, their the ones supporting you and their the ones who will make you famous. So move on! Seriously. And if you guys think that will change anytime soon, your wrong. Move on people, otherwise break into America where its culturally mixed. Weirdo's I swear. Ugh.

Well I just saw that one white person made it into the cube 2nd round of auditions, 15 people were chosen out of what over 2000 people or so? not entirely sure of the numbers but, yeah It's still hard nonetheless but it's not impossible to those white people.

Guest divinexoath

If anything, moderators should have closed this thing when it freaking started, 'cause it's already well-established here on soompi that threads like this will inevitably turn to a discussion of racism, prejudice, and discrimination... because that's usually what comes up through comments. :/

I came in here with the intention of simply defending the notion that a non-Asian/Korean may have good, pure intentions when trying to enter the KPOP industry. Instead of having my opinion the least bit respected or, at the very least, conceded that it may be how I personally feel, I was fed the same old story about "blah blah You can't make it blah" (even though my original post hadn't talked about whether or not they could make it; just their intentions behind wanting to) and my reasons for wanting to enter the KPOP industry were called into question and even ridiculed. I see many Korean people post here about how they want to get into the industry. Their reasons don't get called into question/ridiculed. (With the exception of a few noobs who are like, "LIEK OMG I WANT 2 MEET SNSD!!!?11!!!")

And the reason why I kept comparing myself to Korean groups is completely the point. For you to say, "It's okay for them but not for you because of the difference in races" IS discrimination.

And who ever brought out the "R" word (Racist) should really be ashamed of themselves.

For the record, it's usually the person who was exhibiting racism who should be ashamed of themselves, not the person who's got backbone enough to call it out and stand up to it.

[/done with this ridic thread]

Guest psychoticskye

Racism at its finest.

Btw, for the record, racism =/= nationalism.

As for being "mature", usually, the people BEING IGNORANT & RACIST are the ones being immature. Apparently, that was lost in translation somewhere along the line. The person who stands up and calls them out for what they're doing isn't being immature, sweetheart. Just like if someone was murdering people. You would call them a murderer because that's exactly what they are. So. Once again, good job. Immaturity? Not so much. Honesty? You betcha. This forum is an obvious breeding ground for blatant ignorance and racism. It makes me PROUD to be an American where I was raised to judge everyone equally, regardless of their ethnic background. Oh snap. That's also called NATIONALISM. Oh God. Did I just use that definition correctly?

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I think people are getting confused between Ethnocentrism with Racism..Of course it's a form of racism but the connection between the definitions is polar opposites of ethnocentrism in itself...

Definitions for both terms

Racism: hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Ethnocentrism: the belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture.

Just wanna clear this up because in a society like in Asia, you will be faced with this type of racism...Heck they even have an ethnocentric complex against us Korean-Americans aka Gyopos! They won't blatantly or out-rightly say or show their hatred or dislike for non-Asian acts, but they will be passive aggressive against them by showing their snobbery and disdain.

Archived