What do you think about the auditions for non-Asians?

Guest Thalita

Guest EmbracePassion

LOL. LOL. LOL.

No need to take it all so seriously, like you lot just trying to prove my 'points' of course ; )

Actually, I'm pretty sure there'd be more nons making it through if they weren't reading threads like this and listening to what others think.

The ones that did go through, didn't ask questions, they went out and and did it.

Well, you do give a richard simmons cos you replied.

Asians obviously know, they're not stupid.

It's better that they at least tried than thought what could have been.

No need to get your panties in a twist. You lot are implying like: ITS IMPOSSIBLE YOU WILL NEVER GET IN MUAHAHA

Hahaha.

S'laters.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cherry-Go-Gyaru

OH! I LOVE THIS SUBJECT.

I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT THIS.

First off, there are exceptions to the "non-asians in Asia doesn't work out" rule. There are definitely small pockets of success to be found in Japan, but it's difficult.

beckiicruel.jpghimeka.jpg

Beckii Cruel didn't intend to get offers from 3 different Japanese agencies, but she did all because her little youtube video skyrocketed with views in only a few days and most of the views were coming from Japanese (guess which age group? Men in their 30's-40's :vicx:).

Himeka used a visa granted to Canadians via her job to ensure she got to stay in Japan longer. And it's literally the "pack my bags up and go find fame" story. She entered into the Anime Grand Prix, won the grand prize, signed on with Sony Music International~ ^_^

Leah Dizon... The fact that she's from Vegas aside, she's half-Filipino / Chinese which gives her a huge advantage. Half-asians have found plenty of success. Being half asian gives as much chances as being full, if not more. (SIDE NOTE - I LOVE Leah Dizon!)

Becky - MC, singer (half Japanese), Eri Rose - Model (half Japanese), Jun Hasegawa - Model (half Japanese), Anna Tsuchiya - Singer (half-Japanese), Eiji Wentz - Singer, MC, Actor (half-Japanese), Shirota Yu - Singer, Actor, MC (half-Japanese), OLIVIA - Singer (half-Japanese), Crystal Kay - Singer (half-Korean), Isak - MC (half-Korean), Daniel Henney - Actor, Model (half-Korean), Julian Kang - Actor, Model (half-Korean), Ricky Neely Lee - Actor, Model (half-Korean), Stephanie° - Singer (half-Japanese), Jessica Gomes - Model (half-Chinese), Cecile Fujisaki - AV Star... :sweatingbullets: (half-Japanese)

That's enough~ You get the picture.

And even then, it doesn't stop there. In Japan, there's outlets for people who speak fluent Japanese. Take Dave Spector for instance. This guy is makin G's and it's all because he speaks fluent Japanese. And then there's Monkey Majik. They're just getting better and better. Only recently they had a #1 Single and an album that debuted at #2 on the Oricon chart, and the lead members aren't even Japanese! They're French-Canadian.

davespector.jpgmonkeymajik.jpg

But all these examples show that Japan is just sliiightly more accepting than other Asian countries. Living off of being an entertainer in Japan, it's difficult... I feel there's still a novelty factor involved, like being Akihabara bait, or the necessity of speaking REALLY good Japanese, but... it's possible. I can't say that it's not. No one can. The proof is above. Granted, it's not a LOT of proof. But it shows that it's possible.

Now Korea on the other hand...

Again, it's not impossible. It's more like 0.0005% and there are no exceptions. Like, no novelty factor. The non-asians who have found pockets of success in Korea are the ones who SPEAK Korean very well and are good-looking. And those are just small pockets. It's not even close to comparable to the success of native actors, singers, and MC's.

misuda.jpg

This is the WORST example I could have possibly used!! LOL :crazy: Cause these women speak Korean WELL. REALLY well. They could probably out-Korean Nichkhun that's how good they are. Anyways Misuda is like a jumping board for non-asian women to get into other outlets of the entertainment industry. But SO few expand outside of Misuda. It's sad.

When you compare Beckii Cruel who speaks NO Japanese and her success in Japan to the success of some of the women on Misuda who speak FLUENT Korean and their success in Korea, it really is an eye-opener to how closed off Korea is to foreigners.

jamilya.jpgjamilya-2.jpg

Jamilya, Djamilya Abdullaeva, is the only one who came close. She released a single, Oppa I Hate You So Much and an MV for it but that was in 2008. It's 2011 and I haven't heard anything from her Korea-wise. I think she's back in Uzbekhistan. She appeared on an MTV show there last year. Why did she fail? She even looks like Goo Hye Sun! She was REALLY popular when she first appeared on Misuda and then her popularity suddenly dropped.

luvada-kissinggame.jpg

Luvada Dunford is the other really popular Misuda member. I think she's smarter in her choices. She hasn't debuted as a singer. She makes small guest appearances on shows. She's like a minor Korean celebrity, treated as an equal but still humble as a foreigner.

But if you're non-asian in Korea sometimes you can make a short-lived appearance on a major TV show, like Star Golden Bell or Star King (but Star King really - anyone can get on this show if they're talented enough and their talent is UNIQUE enough). Or you can play the token foreigner character that appears for 5 seconds.

luvada.jpgchris.jpgstarking.jpg

And if you happen to have been raised in Korea by a Korean stepmother and look like THIS

pierre.jpgpierre-2.jpg

You can be on a drama. Pierre Deporte was one of the leads in Tamra Island (it's finished~ good drama too). I don't think he's done anything since then except make an appearance on a special one episode version of Misuda with a panel of non-Asian GUYS who speak Korean.

Or if you don't, then at least you can play the token foreigner character.

julia.jpg

In any Asian country, it's easy to be a model if you're a foreigner. But that's where it stops. Anything beyond that would have to rely on a novelty factor or speaking the language really well.

So in conclusion~ About the auditions for non-asians subject...

The only issue I have is that the auditions usually NEVER mention ethnicity. But they should. Without specifying it, it kind of implies that anyone of any ethnicity has the possibility to pass an audition. Well... That'd be nice if it were TRUE. But because that little part is ommitted, you're gonna get non-asians filtered in with asians thinking "Oh anyone can audition!"

So save yourselves the grief, if you're reading this and either coordinate or volunteer to help with these auditions, and start specifying CLEARLY that these auditions are for Asians only. If non-Asians have no chance getting in then deny them a point of entry (auditions).

But do I expect to see a non-asian Kpop singer appearing on Music Core in the near future? Not likely gonna happen! Korea has a lot of barriers. There's only so far that a non-asian can go, even IF they're beautiful, even IF they speak Korean, there is a clear CAP on the amount of success a non-asian can achieve in that particular country. Look at Jamilya! She's gorgeous, what a lot of caucasian girls aspire to look like, and she speaks Korean fluently! Yet, still not enough.

Anyways~ More to the point...

I'm gonna be blunt here. I think a lot of non-asians want to be a Kpop idol just because they want to be close to the idols they love. But you don't HAVE to be a Kpop idol to do that! Modeling, acting spots, commercial gigs, these all connect to the Kpop idol industry in a way. And what's more is, when you're foreign they're not gonna expect you to know who they are. In a sense, there IS an advantage to being non-asian in an Asian country. So forget the auditions and just go there!! See what happens!!

And Korea is just such an awesome country in general. If you love Korea soooo much, it should make you happy just being there, whether you're an entertainer or not.

Speaking from my own experience

I don't care if I find a pocket of success or if I find no success whatsoever. What matters is that I love Korea. So I don't care what profession I find myself in, as long as I find myself happy and satisfied then life is good~

But I ALSO live in California, near LA to be specific. If something came up here that would lead to success, I'd take it in a heartbeat. Passion for entertainment should come first before anything else. Placement of WHERE that success comes from should be secondary.

It's easy to brush off the Asian entertainment industry and say "Go audition in America." This is experienced from Asians and Non-asians alike.

But do people realize... how HARD it is to make it in America? It is 10, no 1000 times more difficult than in Korea, Japan and China COMBINED. I would never say to someone "Try to audition in America." I would say "Do you REALLY want to be an entertainer? Is it your passion? Your #1 goal? Your life? Then... Good luck." Cause it's HARD. No matter what ethnicity you are, an American debut is a 1 and 1 MILLION shot.

Anyways, I'm all about giving hope to others.

performance2.png

That's me on KBS World. :)

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

^ @ Cherry_Go_Gyaru: Wow great assessment! ^_^

I agree with alot of what you said...And you also speak from experience since you were on that KBS singing competition I believe? You speak so passionately yet so truthfully since you know the setbacks and frustrations that comes to trying to get into the Kpop industry. Anywayz good luck in your auditions and hopefully you can find success in whatever endeavor in Kpop that you choose. :)

Guest Super_Thang

I have to agree with everything that has been said here. I mean, I would REALLY rather not believe anything that they have said because I AM white and I DO want to find success in Korea as an entertainer but the thing is, I wont. This is just something that I have to accept. Think about it this way, if an Asian was to travel to a place like Ukraine (which has its own entertainment business) would they make it?

No, they wouldnt. Even if they learned the language and spoke it just as good as the next Ukrainian, they just WOULD NOT make it. People want to see someone that they can relate too on the screen. If there is an Asian performing in Korea (which is a country that mostly only has Asians) then the people their will look at them and respect them BECAUSE they will be thinking to themselves, "We both have this feature, we both have this feature... I bet I could look similar to them if I change this..." AND WE ALL KNOW THIS IS TRUE!

People think about becoming more like their favorite idols ALL THE TIME! That's why idols start trends and are recognized as people that others look up too. I mean dont get me wrong, Alexander for U-Kiss made it and is now super popular BUT hes 3/4 Asian and has probably had some type of surgery to enhance his Asian characteristics.

Now you might say that "looks arent everything" but unfortunately they are! I know that when I see some person on TV who I dont think is that attractive, I LOOK FOR SOMETHING BETTER! WE ALL DO! The truth is a harsh reality but we all have to face it.

So no, I dont think you will make it BUT I dont doubt your talents. If you have AMAZING singing and dancing skills, please show them but dont expect to make it in a market that is not interested in you. Honestly, dont expect to make it at all. Live your life for you and do what makes you happy, if you become famous along the way then you have dont something that many will envy you for.

I've been reading through the thread and can agree with alot what is said and it's partially true, Im Euroasian but the caucasian side of me is REALLY dominant where it's only when I do certain facial expressians (or when I get a tan) people ask if Im in anyway asian.

It's mostly my actual eyes that come out asian!

The thing about K-pop is alot of non-asians want to get involved in the whole scene because it looks exciting the whole trainee life looks good! imagine that "training to be a pop star" also they have a genuine passion for the music, if anything the thing pushing people towards the asian pop community is that USA/EU music isnt exactly pop music anymore there is hardly anymore girl/boy pop bands it's just not what our market is about which is guttering.

I auditioned for JYPE online and got a phonecall they even said they would ring me back but never did, I guess they thought the caucasian side of me was too dominant.

One thing I've never known though how big are the likes of Justin bieber etc in Asia?

Uh I think what Rain had to deal with was not Racism but of something of a totally different prejudice: he wasn't considered pretty...he had dark skin, and a monolid...Back then having a sanga-pul and milky skin for men was more of a norm. But now Rain set the trend for Korean men to look like actual men, with his chocolate abs and his chiseled features. Rain had to deal with the beauty standards of biaseness, not actual racism itself..."To look more Caucasian" I think that quote right their was taken out of context...

ah you misunderstood me. I didn't say it was racism he had to with.

You said the answear by yourself

Back then having a sanga-pul and milky skin for men was more of a norm. But now Rain set the trend for Korean men to look like actual men, with his chocolate abs and his chiseled features.

I repeat "Nothing changes when anybody tries to change it."

The Judges told him that he was a good dance but they didn't want him because of his looks. Probably not only rain but other people too.

But rain was strong and continued to audition. He got accepted and was able to change the "beauty standards".

If he probably wouldn't have tried so hard, the beauty standard wouldn't have opened for people with dark skin and mono-lid eyes.

Hope you understand what I mean.

I dont deny the fact that non Asians have disadvantages in the Korean Music Industry. No matter, how many people deny about that, no matter how much you lie to yourself. This fact will not change unless somebody will have the strength and passion, to do so.

I think, the audience might open their arms and minds when a non asian artist would get support from professionals like YG, JYP, SM or whatever.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Back then having a sanga-pul and milky skin for men was more of a norm. But now Rain set the trend for Korean men to look like actual men, with his chocolate abs and his chiseled features.

The Judges told him that he was a good dance but they didn't want him because of his looks. Probably not only rain but other people too.

But rain was strong and continued to audition. He got accepted and was able to change the "beauty standards".

If he probably wouldn't have tried so hard, the beauty standard wouldn't have opened for people with dark skin and mono-lid eyes.

I dont deny the fact that non Asians have disadvantages in the Korean Music Industry. No matter, how many people deny about that, no matter how much you lie to yourself. This fact will not change unless somebody will have the strength and passion, to do so.

I think, the audience might open their arms and minds when a non asian artist would get support from professionals like YG, JYP, SM or whatever.

rain change the beauty standard? O_O;

Guest whatsupman

I don't think Rain actually made no ssangapul and dark skin accepted as a beauty standard.. I mean as long as you look attractive with those features, then it's okay. There are idols before him, like H.O.T., that had no ssangapul. H.O.T. was very popular in the 1990s, and some of them had no ssangapul. Also, Lee Hyori had dark skin too when she first debuted.

Also, although the two situations seem similar, I think Koreans accepting Non-Asians is a much bigger step than Koreans accepting an "unattractive" Korean. A lot of Koreans are so racist.. They just don't show it on T.V. or in public to avoid any conflict.. LOL.. I'm Korean and I admit that I think Koreans are the most racist group ever.

@ShrimpCrackerrr

well, thats what i made this sign >""<. Lets just say, that the music industry opened to people with small/mono-lid eyes because of him.

@whatsupman

wuah you people really understand only what you want do understand.

The fact is that rain didn't got accepted because of his eyes or should I say, because he was the opposite of the ideal look.

We already know that Korea isn't open to foreigners (in the M.Industry). The rest is your opinion. Im not going to deny opinions so I leave it to you.

Its not just about MADONNA or RAIN. They were just examples for the change thing.

Now I'm not going to repeat myself. I already said, what I had to say.

Guest whatsupman

@ShrimpCrackerrr

well, thats what i made this sign >""<. Lets just say, that the music industry opened to people with small/mono-lid eyes because of him.

@whatsupman

The fact is that rain didn't got accepted because of his eyes or should I say, because he was the opposite of the ideal look.

We already know that Korea isn't open to foreigners (in the M.Industry). The rest is your opinion. Im not going to deny opinions so I leave it to you.

Its not just about MADONNA or RAIN. They were just examples for the change thing.

Now I'm not going to repeat myself. I already said, what I had to say.

Rain isn't necessarily the ideal look now either. LOL. Girls fawn over his body more than they do over his face. You really don't understand what I'm trying to say. LOL. His face is charming, NOT handsome. He didn't change anything. No double eyelids and dark skin was accepted even before him.

I do understand what you're trying to say, but it makes no sense.

Rain isn't necessarily the ideal look now either. LOL. Girls fawn over his body more than they do over his face. You really don't understand what I'm trying to say. LOL. His face is charming, NOT handsome. He didn't change anything. No double eyelids and dark skin was accepted even before him.

I do understand what you're trying to say, but it makes no sense.

It doesnt make sense because you got it wrong. I'll tell you why... because you didn't read the first post of me ^^. (I didn't mean the change over himself.)

Guest whatsupman

It doesnt make sense because you got it wrong. I'll tell you why... because you didn't read the first post of me ^^. (I didn't mean the change over himself.)

i don't think it's worth it to look for your previous post.. :sweatingbullets: LOL. weren't you trying to say that if people keep trying then they can bring change or something? like rain?

it doesn't make sense cause rain didn't change anything. people had already accepted the features he has as handsome/pretty as long as it fit the person like the people in H.O.T. or Lee Hyori.

Guest something-like

um. Rain is known for his body, not his face. He didn't 'change' anything, so...your argument with the dark skin and mono eye lids kinda ...invalid. If you said he took what he had and adopted it, now that could be an argument

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

But you are using him as an example for a totally different debate. Are trying to say that what he had to go through WAS racism, or are you trying to say that what he had to go through was just as tough of an equal if a Non-Asian auditioned along side him?

Edit: Also what's with this comment here?

"You People? What do YOU mean by YOU PEOPLE?" - quote from Tropic Thunder :lol:

But all kidding aside...Okay now understand what you are trying to say. But you seem very confused between fighting the ideal look and racism itself...They are completely two different entities and hurdles to deal with...With a Non-Asian the difficulties and obstacles are much higher and more difficult for them to hurdle, because they have to deal with RACISM, XENOPHOBIA, THE IDEAL LOOK OF AN ASIAN, PREJUDICE AND STEREOTYPE....The reason why I also put STEREOTYPE into the category is that just as much as America stereotype Asians (with our chopsticks, Engrish and being good at math) Koreans really do put foreigners into a stereotypical category....If you do get accepted into the Kpop industry Morganshine, be aware that they will use race and ethnicity to play up the novelty factor of you being Caucasian.

For Asians the only thing we have going against is the Ideal Look Type department...Even Chinese, Japanese, Viet, Laos etc., really don't have it as hard as a Non-Asian who auditions for these types of companies but can't even pass the first round because of the ethnicity factor playing against them.

Guest Aikurah

@morgansunshine

You try and make me look so overly biased.

Sure, it seems SO unfair that non Asians have a lesser chance in getting into the industry and everything...but have you ever realized that what you're saying really does not prove anything or persuade me by any chance?

Sure, I have endured so much racism. But you aren't even Asian, but yet you say that you had to go through the same thing. Great. You take interest in Japan. The culture is great. Yeah. Sushi. And people at that time underrates Japan. Believe me, I actually appreciate you for not being racist. Even when others try to pull your thoughts away, you stay strong. 

But...you know what?

Look at Japan now. They are extremely overrated. Millions of people, yes millions are just like you now. People who believe they oh so completely understand another culture because they have a brain. You should realize that are brains were made to collect knowledge and imaginations and thoughts; not to try and adapt to another culture. You are you. I am me. Just because you take an interest in Japan and people discriminate you for it does not make you so special that Avex Entertainment will accept you because you love Japan. Look. So much people love Japan. People in the UK, in France, in Holland, in Norway, in the United States, in Brazil...globally so much people love Japan and would like to perform on the stages of Asia as well. And also? They aren't Asian.

What makes you think this way? Your brain cannot magically make you somehow experience like an Asian. Have you grown up being belted and hit for getting a C? Have your parents ever threatened to kick you out of the house because you were crying to loudly? Were you ever forced to do an activity for years just because it may get you into Harvard or Yale or those perfect colleges? Believe me, I have been kicked out of the house more than once because I felt drepressed. But thats all behind now. Those are all stereotypes now. Yep.

People that work in the Entertainment Industry in Asia work their assess off. Foreigners aren't used to being trained so harshly. Probably in one month I can see someone trying to sue that company because they were "overworking" them. People just have to adapt.

You say Asians dye their hair, tan their skins, wear lenses, and get plastic surgery. So? It was because before, Asians were usually not considered beautiful. It was always Caucasians that were beautiful. That lead to what Asians do today. They never thought they were pretty enough. So in an attempt to try and look Caucasian, that is what they all did. All over the fact that someone is surperior over another. Now let me ask you this. Then why do Caucasians go to Anime Cons, cosplay, enjoy wearing Asian fashion, try to learn Asian languages even though they are nowhere close to Asia, and dye their hair black? Does that really matter?

Wow. You must be so mentally challenged over the fact that Asian companies are Asian companies. Korea isn't a melting pot. Why does everyone expect so much diversity so quickly? Asian pride was actually something. It was a term when Asia finally thought that they were tired of being behind everything. Therefore leading to the modern Pop culture in Asia today. Don't you think that you give it a rest and wait for Asia to develop more and not fume over the people that don't make it in because of race? It takes time. Before you know it, non Asians will be popular and Asia. Seesh. Asians shouldn't even exist to cause so much problems over people that would argue so much over race. 

Guest Natasya-Pard

@morgansunshine:

You should start listening to Aikurah, Whatsupman, Angelbaby and I cause we are just stating the truth.

Plus, we are not your audience if you are trying to change racism or something like that to asia...

And please don't try to teach us about OUR culture. We are sure that we know asian culture more than any other non-asians...

And what I've noticed from this thread. People keep trying to find examples of people who have made to the asian entertainment industry... when no one have heard of them before...

The example would be a weak one because no one knows them hence they can't be used as example...

Please excuse my grammar.. I have to board my plane now..

Guest Amethist

And what I've noticed from this thread. People keep trying to find examples of people who have made to the asian entertainment industry... when no one have heard of them before...

The example would be a weak one because no one knows them hence they can't be used as example...

Erhm I have heard of almost everyone of the ones that made it in the Japanese music industry before. Except for the guys in Exile and J Soul Brothers, but even then, I have heard of Exile and J Soul Brothers before (I think it's hard not to have heard of Exile before if you're into j-pop O_o).

But I guess my reason for knowing them is because I'm more into Japanese music than most people out here :P (can't blame it though since this is a forums for Korean entertainment and not Japanese entertainment).

Also before people get me wrong, it's not like I think knowing these artists would make it seem easy for foreigners to get into the Japanese entertainment industry. It may be more open than the Korean entertainment industry, but Aikurah still has a point imo. When I was studying in Japan I already noticed how much more hardworking they are, like how the dance group I was in even practiced till 05:00 AM like crazy (and I was "lazy" enough to go back home around 01:00 AM).

With the Korean celebs Cherry-Go-Gyaru mentioned, I only know Pierre Deporte though. But nice informative post, Cherry-Go-Gyaru!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest torchik37

Honestly, I think that the first kpop country that lets in a non-asian will be tremendously successful. People will be like "zomg, did you see that NON-asian in that one group?!! ~goes to watch videos~" It would get them tremendous publicity. Sooooooo, I say you keep trying for it! I'm only half korean and I have like, zero asian looks, so it's probably just as hard for me as it is for you....I think you just have to make a point that you can make their company really popular! ^^

Plus, shouldn't all the people saying that its nearly impossible want to make you try harder? It's a source of inspiration to prove them wrong! I plan on doing it....so you should too! ^^ Good luck and fighting!

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Honestly, I think that the first kpop country that lets in a non-asian will be tremendously successful. People will be like "zomg, did you see that NON-asian in that one group?!! ~goes to watch videos~" It would get them tremendous publicity. Sooooooo, I say you keep trying for it! I'm only half korean and I have like, zero asian looks, so it's probably just as hard for me as it is for you....I think you just have to make a point that you can make their company really popular! ^^

Plus, shouldn't all the people saying that its nearly impossible want to make you try harder? It's a source of inspiration to prove them wrong! I plan on doing it....so you should too! ^^ Good luck and fighting!

in the latest sm "global" audition though they even specified that they were looking for only asians. O__O;

they said asians of any nationality or something like that. o.o

Guest torchik37

in the latest sm "global" audition though they even specified that they were looking for only asians. O__O;

they said asians of any nationality or something like that. o.o

Haha, well, that's SM. They're very appearance based. I'm sure once some other company does it and has success, they'll jump right on the bandwagon!

Archived