What do you think about the auditions for non-Asians?

Guest Thalita

Guest ChaserxOfxDreams

Hmmm....I'm just going to tell you what I think.

It will be EXTREMLY difficult. Mostly because it's an audition and auditions are difficult and nerve wrecking. The fact that you're non-asian will most likely make it alot more difficult as well.

HOWEVER, I don't see any harm in trying. I know it'll be hard and it looks like there is no chance at all for you, but I think it will be worse if you don't audition and live the rest of your life think "I wonder what would have happened if I had auditioned." So I think you should give it a shot!

I'm actually going to audition in two years. That's because I think it would be better for me to wait until I get my braces off. Also I think my grandma would be happier if I finished high school first before I auditioned.

My last thing to say to you is that I wish you luck if you do decide to audition.=^^=

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what most people are saying - it's pretty unlikely..  D: sorry!

I'm a non-Asian myself and like listening to Japanese/Korean music & enjoy singing it - when i was younger i remember it crossing my mind that it would be really cool to debut in Japan or Korea.

But then i thought about it a little and realised it was unrealistic. It's pretty unlikely to happen:

1. As a small country they probably want to keep their artists Korean and not have loads of other people trying to take over the music industry, which is completely understandable. Japan is a little more open, but i think they would still expect you to have some Japanese descent.

2. You would have to be pretty fluent, if not completely, in the language. Just knowing phrases from anime/dramas doesn't count and you can't just have a translator the whole time. You would also have to be completely determined, and pretty damn talented.

3. Like someone else said, you'll probably be seen as a novelty type act. For example, Beckii cruel in Japan. You would also have to take harsh criticisms from netizens - constantly about your looks, figure, voice, pronunciation...

I know my post sounds really.. negative now but i think you should just think about why you want to debut there. if its the style of music, you could always write/get songs written for you in that style. if you want to be an idol - maybe you should read about their schedule first.  If you really want to be a singer there, it's going to take a lot to convince them, and even then.. the best bet is debuting in the western market or wherever else you may be. if you happen to get super famous, you could do a few concerts in Asia and sing a few songs in the native language 8D 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sprockityspock

I honestly feel like they're starting to look for non-asians now (or in the past year or so). The korean entertainment industry is expanding globally at a super fast rate. It's starting to become a very, very powerful and big entertainment industry with a huge percentage of international fans. Not only that, but a foreign member in a group would also be very appealing and exotic to their Asian audiences as well, because we all know that people have a tendency to go for what's exotic. There are a couple of things, however, that will probably be imperative to the selection of the special individual who will be the first to wear these shoes: 

1) He/she will have to be AMAZING at languages. Obviously, speaking Korean is a must. Not only is this necessary to, you know, function as a korean celebrity, but it will also seem very impressive to their audience. Additionally, he/she will also probably have to speak Japanese and Chinese by debut time. So, they will probably favor someone who either already speaks a lot of languages (gives a good foundation for learning new languages quickly) or who already speaks at least Korean/Japanese/Chinese. WELL. Eloquently enough to hold a conversation and sing a song clearly and without too much of an accent. 

2) Chances are, to start off with, they won't pick someone who looks TOO foreign. Not to sound bigoted or anything, but the introduction of a non-asian idol is going to be a rocky road. There's going to be lots of antis, lots of people who think they shouldn't be debuting in korea, etc. Keep in mind: Korea is not the gigantic salad bowl that the US is. Most people in Korea are ethnically Korean and if they're not, they're at least Asian (*although that's beginning to change with the spread of hallyu) most people are not going to be very receptive if the first non-asian idol they throw in there is completely unidentifiable with their audience. Even when they began introducing Chinese members into SM oh so many years ago, they still had a slightly more Korean look about them. Now, obviously a white girl from the middle of Ohio or something isn't going to look Korean; the key here is that whoever it is is going to look foreign enough that he/she is appealing, but will probably still have features that are similar enough to be marketable in Asia. Just the way it is. 

Beyond those things, it's also going to be a matter of talent and all that good stuff, just like with anyone else. Keep in mind though that the first few non-Asian korean are going to have to have a very thick skin. We all know how those netizens get. 

Kpop is known for it's Korean heritage culture and if a non-Asian can come and takeover then the Kpop culture just won't be Asian anymore..It might as well be just another run-of-the-mill manufactured pop music we have in America (Jsutin Beiber anyone?) Their is a reason why they only accept Asians and not just Koreans. 

And the truth of the matter is not just racism but it's XENOPHOBIA. 

So all in all I don't think I will see any non-Asians becoming a a Kpop celebrity in Korea in my lifetime.

The beauty..Korea is known for it's over zealous beauty ranking..From ranking how small your face is to a fist, to how milky white your complexion is to a white rose, to who tall or how asymmetrical your face is, to the width of your S-line to V-line and etc...Alot of non-Asians can't really fit into the mold of an Asian beauty. how are you guys cgoing to handle it when the Korean netizens pick your looks apart because, let face it, they will  compare and contrast your looks to their local Korean celebrities.

1) except not really. They have Chinese and Thai in their lineup of idols.

2) you're right. It is a matter of Xenophobia. But the entertainment industry's main concern is making money. How do they expand their money? Expanding their market beyond Korea. They have a strong international following now. When they start throwing non-Asians into the mix, it's going to get even stronger. Most people tend to like things they can identify with. If they throw someone in there foreigners can identify with, they will have a much stronger following. Do you really think with the way they market anything in Korea they won't be able to make people warm up to a foreigner? I hate to burst your bubble, but if they embellish it and advertise it enough, the marketing team at any of the big three could probably make a trash bag into an idol. 

3) Ever heard of Insooni? Yoon Mirae? They're half black, don't have super milky white skin, and they're singers. First of all. Second, actually many foreigners can. There's plenty of skinny white girls out there with small faces, big eyes, and curvy super skinny bodies. That is not a purely asian thing. 

I feel it's important to say that there's a middle ground here. You're not entirely wrong. The chances for someone to make it in if they're not Asian are super slim. HOWEVER, you also have to keep in mind that the Korean music industry isn't just marketing to Asia anymore, and if they plan on debuting a foreign idol anywhere within the next five years (it's inevitable for them to do so if they plan on expanding further internationally, I can't stress this enough because a lot of people don't seem to get this point. Korean entertainment companies are businesses. They're trying to make money. They're going to pick whoever is marketable to the audience they're trying to reach, which is no longer exclusively Korean or even Asian for that matter), they'll be selecting their trainees NOW. 

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

2) you're right. It is a matter of Xenophobia. But the entertainment industry's main concern is making money. How do they expand their money? Expanding their market beyond Korea. They have a strong international following now. When they start throwing non-Asians into the mix, it's going to get even stronger. Most people tend to like things they can identify with. If they throw someone in there foreigners can identify with, they will have a much stronger following. Do you really think with the way they market anything in Korea they won't be able to make people warm up to a foreigner? I hate to burst your bubble, but if they embellish it and advertise it enough, the marketing team at any of the big three could probably make a trash bag into an idol. 

3) Ever heard of Insooni? Yoon Mirae? They're half black, don't have super milky white skin, and they're singers. First of all. Second, actually many foreigners can. There's plenty of skinny white girls out there with small faces, big eyes, and curvy super skinny bodies. That is not a purely asian thing. 

1. But Chinese and and Thai are Asian....It is still pretty rare to find a Caucasian, African American, Hispanic and etc. to become famous as a Kpop idol in Korea....

2. I wish that was true, but from experience they really want a Korean to dominate into other markets...And not just a Gyopo but a full Fobby Asian...I never understood why they would want to debut someone like Rain, se7en or BoA in America who doesn't have a strong grasp on the English Language. These companies can easily find someone in America and train them specifically for the American market but they don't and I wonder why? They even have some form of prejudice and ethnocenctric pride against Asian Americans.

3. Never heard of them...Sorry I'm full Korean and I follow Korean music but never heard of the singers you just listed. And I bet that is the general consensus in Korea too...They probably heard of the song that the specific singer you just listed sang, but they won't recognize the singer and be shocked if they saw a picture of them.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

I honestly feel like they're starting to look for non-asians now (or in the past year or so). The korean entertainment industry is expanding globally at a super fast rate. It's starting to become a very, very powerful and big entertainment industry with a huge percentage of international fans. Not only that, but a foreign member in a group would also be very appealing and exotic to their Asian audiences as well, because we all know that people have a tendency to go for what's exotic. There are a couple of things, however, that will probably be imperative to the selection of the special individual who will be the first to wear these shoes:

1) He/she will have to be AMAZING at languages. Obviously, speaking Korean is a must. Not only is this necessary to, you know, function as a korean celebrity, but it will also seem very impressive to their audience. Additionally, he/she will also probably have to speak Japanese and Chinese by debut time. So, they will probably favor someone who either already speaks a lot of languages (gives a good foundation for learning new languages quickly) or who already speaks at least Korean/Japanese/Chinese. WELL. Eloquently enough to hold a conversation and sing a song clearly and without too much of an accent.

2) Chances are, to start off with, they won't pick someone who looks TOO foreign. Not to sound bigoted or anything, but the introduction of a non-asian idol is going to be a rocky road. There's going to be lots of antis, lots of people who think they shouldn't be debuting in korea, etc. Keep in mind: Korea is not the gigantic salad bowl that the US is. Most people in Korea are ethnically Korean and if they're not, they're at least Asian (*although that's beginning to change with the spread of hallyu) most people are not going to be very receptive if the first non-asian idol they throw in there is completely unidentifiable with their audience. Even when they began introducing Chinese members into SM oh so many years ago, they still had a slightly more Korean look about them. Now, obviously a white girl from the middle of Ohio or something isn't going to look Korean; the key here is that whoever it is is going to look foreign enough that he/she is appealing, but will probably still have features that are similar enough to be marketable in Asia. Just the way it is.

Beyond those things, it's also going to be a matter of talent and all that good stuff, just like with anyone else. Keep in mind though that the first few non-Asian korean are going to have to have a very thick skin. We all know how those netizens get.

in jyp and sm 2010 "global" auditions, they specifically asked for asian ethnicities.

1. there's a difference between asian and NON-asian. and even if there are a few chinese and thai idols, there are only like.. 2(?) that are popular. the only ones i can think of are victoria from fx and khun from 2pm. even then they're looks are very.. exceptional LOL.

2. but why do people like k-pop? isn't it because of asians? if not then why not just look at american or english boy bands.. i mean there aren't a lot but they exist. i hate the burst your bubble but two of the big three specifically asked for ethnically asian people in their 2010 auditions, but non-asians still went because they hoped that the judges would still see something in them when the judges didn't even want to see them. no offense. o_o;

3. insooni and yoonmirae aren't idols..

also, who said korea likes "exotic" things? LOL. korea LOVES traditional things. if you compare the popularity of the traditional korean pretty girl snsd yoona vs. exotic snsd jessica, obviously yoona is more popular.

Guest sprockityspock

1. But Chinese and and Thai are Asian....It is still pretty rare to find a Caucasian, African  American, Hispanic and etc. to become famous as a Kpop idol in Korea....

2. I wish that was true, but from experience they really want a Korean to dominate into other markets...And not just a Gyopo but a full Fobby Asian...I never understood why they would want to debut someone like Rain, se7en or BoA in America who doesn't have a strong grasp on the English Language. These companies can easily find someone in America and train them specifically for the American market but they don't and I wonder why? They even have some form of prejudice and ethnocenctric pride against Asian Americans.

3. Never heard of them...Sorry I'm full Korean and I follow Korean music but never heard of the singers you just listed. And I bet that is the general consensus in Korea too...They probably heard of the song that the specific singer you just listed sang, but they won't recognize the singer and be shocked if they saw a picture of them.

1) yes. But even thai and chinese had to be slowly introduced into the public because Korea is a mainly homogenous country. With the expansion of the industry, they're going to have to have at least a couple of foreign people eventually. 

2) That was years ago, when Korean entertainment was starting to break into the international scene. Of course they would market the fobby Asian guy, because that's what was more marketable here at the time. Think about it: their first target demographic would have to be the korea/japanophiles who think everything is sooo kawaii and sugoi and lalalala. Most marketable to them would be the hot Korean guy with the Korean accent. But their fanbase has moved far beyond that now, and that phase of taking over the global market is over. Korean idols have very much broken into the entertainment industry globally. They won't be keeping that grasp on their international fanbase for long or be able to expand it too far beyond what it is now without throwing in foreigners. They're not stupid, and I think you're vastly understating the power of good marketing. 

in jyp and sm 2010 "global" auditions, they specifically asked for asian ethnicities.

1. there's a difference between asian and NON-asian. and even if there are a few chinese and thai idols, there are only like.. 2(?) that are popular. the only ones i can think of are victoria from fx and khun from 2pm. even then they're looks are very.. exceptional LOL.

2. but why do people like k-pop? isn't it because of asians? if not then why not just look at american or english boy bands.. i mean there aren't a lot but they exist. i hate the burst your bubble but two of the big three specifically asked for ethnically asian people in their 2010 auditions, but non-asians still went because they hoped that the judges would still see something in them when the judges didn't even want to see them. no offense. o_o;

3. insooni and yoonmirae aren't idols..

also, who said korea likes "exotic" things? LOL. korea LOVES traditional things. if you compare the popularity of the traditional korean pretty girl snsd yoona vs. exotic snsd jessica, obviously yoona is more popular.

The exotic thing is a matter of psychology: people like things that are mysterious, that they don't know about, and that they are not used to. You really think that even Korean idols don't have more exotic looks than the average korean person? Are Koreans blonde? The entertainment industry is all about big eyes, double eyelids, and tall noses, which are all considered more exotic features. 

People do like Kpop because of the Asians, but again it all goes back to expanding and making more money. If they plan on expanding further, beyond the audience of people who like the groups because they're Asian, they're going to have to start coming out with groups which are identifiable globally rather than just locally in asia. It's a simple matter of business. And, again, I'm not saying tomorrow we're going to wake up and see a new girl group with a random blonde-blue eyed girl. This is something that's going to happen just like the introduction of non-korean singers. They're going to test the waters with one at first and then go from there. 

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

1) yes. But even thai and chinese had to be slowly introduced into the public because Korea is a mainly homogenous country. With the expansion of the industry, they're going to have to have at least a couple of foreign people eventually. 

2) That was years ago, when Korean entertainment was starting to break into the international scene. Of course they would market the fobby Asian guy, because that's what was more marketable here at the time. Think about it: their first target demographic would have to be the korea/japanophiles who think everything is sooo kawaii and sugoi and lalalala. Most marketable to them would be the hot Korean guy with the Korean accent. But their fanbase has moved far beyond that now, and that phase of taking over the global market is over. Korean idols have very much broken into the entertainment industry globally. They won't be keeping that grasp on their international fanbase for long or be able to expand it too far beyond what it is now without throwing in foreigners. They're not stupid, and I think you're vastly understating the power of good marketing. 

1. yeah but their introduction was easier because they are at least asian. they don't necessarily HAVE to have foreign people. i mean.. like you said.. idol groups have gained substantial numbers of international fans without adding a foreign member into the group.

2. wondergirls. why is jyp trying so hard to break them into the american industry when he can just bring them back into korea and make them korea's little sister's again? he has enough money and influence to train non-asians to debut in america, but why isn't he?  their popularity rivaled snsd's, heck they were more popular than them. snsd only reached its maximum potential in popularity when wondergirls left for america. the point of breaking into the international scene is to spread korea's culture, etc.. i think you're vastly understating the power of the ethnocentrism and xenophobia of koreans.

The exotic thing is a matter of psychology: people like things that are mysterious, that they don't know about, and that they are not used to. You really think that even Korean idols don't have more exotic looks than the average korean person? They're all about big eyes, double eyelids, and tall noses, all considered more exotic features. 

People do like Kpop because of the Asians, but again it all goes back to expanding and making more money. If they plan on expanding further, beyond the audience of people who like the groups because they're Asian, they're going to have to start coming out with groups which are identifiable globally rather than just locally in asia. It's a simple matter of business. And, again, I'm not saying tomorrow we're going to wake up and see a new girl group with a random blonde-blue eyed girl. This is something that's going to happen just like the introduction of non-korean singers. They're going to test the waters with one at first and then go from there. 

1. dude, it's not that hard to find people with big eyes, double eyelids, and tall noses in korea. you're average korean person in korea will most likely have most of those features. they're not exotic, they just look better than small eyes and flat noses, therefore making the person better looking.

2. okay honestly, i thought you were asian defending non-asians, but you're actually a non-asian. are you saying these things because you want to debut in korea? anyone can understand or at least try to understand the marketing plans of a company, but i really don't think you can understand korea if you've never experienced it first hand.. and i don't mean like visiting korea as tourists.. even if foreign members are introduced into korea, i really doubt they will be full blood non-asian. they'll probably be like half or something. even halfs aren't that popular like that guy from ukiss ( i think alexander or something ) who got kicked out. they said it was mutually agreed upon that he would leave but i think it was because he was too unpopular.

Guest sprockityspock

1. yeah but their introduction was easier because they are at least asian. they don't necessarily HAVE to have foreign people. i mean.. like you said.. idol groups have gained substantial numbers of international fans without adding a foreign member into the group.

2. wondergirls. why is jyp trying so hard to break them into the american industry when he can just bring them back into korea and make them korea's little sister's again? he has enough money and influence to train non-asians to debut in america, but why isn't he?  their popularity rivaled snsd's, heck they were more popular than them. snsd only reached its maximum potential in popularity when wondergirls left for america. the point of breaking into the international scene is to spread korea's culture, etc.. i think you're vastly understating the power of the ethnocentrism and xenophobia of koreans.

I'm really not. I'm fully aware of just how xenophobic Koreans can be, believe me. But the Korean entertainment industry isn't JUST about Korea anymore. That's my point. And maybe JYP hasn't felt the time is right for that kind of endeavor. And yes, they have gained substantial numbers of fans. BUT. They're fans who have an affinity for Korea. Expanding beyond that fanbase is what's going to call for them to get foreign members. 

I'm not saying it's going to be a magical process that just happens overnight. But eventually, it's going to happen. It's inevitable.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

I'm really not. I'm fully aware of just how xenophobic Koreans can be, believe me. But the Korean entertainment industry isn't JUST about Korea anymore. That's my point. And maybe JYP hasn't felt the time is right for that kind of endeavor. And yes, they have gained substantial numbers of fans. BUT. They're fans who have an affinity for Korea. Expanding beyond that fanbase is what's going to call for them to get foreign members. 

I'm not saying it's going to be a magical process that just happens overnight. But eventually, it's going to happen. It's inevitable.

that's why koreans are learning english. to identify/relate with the non-asians. that's their method of relating to the americans. exactly, jyp and probably other companies don't feel it's the right time to debut non-asians right now.. maybe in like the future it will happen but definitely not in the near future. but HOW did they start to like korea? i mean they can't of have just liked them, they had to be introduced to the groups. either from a live performance, a music video, or etc, the idols appealed to them even though they were asian.. so the companies want to debut asians who would appeal to the american industry. they keep debuting artists in america to see that type of asian americans would like. LOL. idk i'm totally guessing right now LOL.

inevitable..? LOL. korea isn't a cultural melting pot like america. korea is definitely more conservative than america. it might happen but you never know.. you can't say it's inevitable. like japan is like 100% completely open to korean stars but koreans are defintely not 100% open to japanese stars. koreans are not that open like you seem to think it is and the companies probably know that.

Guest sprockityspock

1. dude, it's not that hard to find people with big eyes, double eyelids, and tall noses in korea. you're average korean person in korea will most likely have most of those features. they're not exotic, they just look better than small eyes and flat noses, therefore making the person better looking.

2. okay honestly, i thought you were asian defending non-asians, but you're actually a non-asian. are you saying these things because you want to debut in korea? anyone can understand or at least try to understand the marketing plans of a company, but i really don't think you can understand korea if you've never experienced it first hand.. and i don't mean like visiting korea as tourists.. even if foreign members are introduced into korea, i really doubt they will be full blood non-asian. they'll probably be like half or something. even halfs aren't that popular like that guy from ukiss ( i think alexander or something ) who got kicked out. they said it was mutually agreed upon that he would leave but i think it was because he was too unpopular.

1) You're right, it's not. But they're still considered more exotic features. That's why they're desirable. 

2) Not really. I know I wouldn't have the thick skin required for that kind of thing, trust me. I'm actually doing a marketing major in school. And I'm not standing up for anyone. I think most kpop fans are waaaay too ideallistic in their views and perceptions of... well, pretty much everything to do with korea/idols, but that's a different topic altogether. :P I'm simply speaking from a marketing perspective. And I'm not claiming to have some deep, great understanding of Korea or anything. I fully agree with you about the state of things in the industry as they are now. What I'm talking about is like five or ten years down the line, it will inevitably get to that point, that's all. If you look at my original post, you'll see that I pretty much said the person would be a novelty act... in a very wordy way, cause I tend to ramble. haha

that's why koreans are learning english. to identify/relate with the non-asians. that's their method of relating to the americans. exactly, jyp and probably other companies don't feel it's the right time to debut non-asians right now.. maybe in like the future it will happen but definitely not in the near future. but HOW did they start to like korea? i mean they can't of have just liked them, they had to be introduced to the groups. either from a live performance, a music video, or etc, the idols appealed to them even though they were asian.. so the companies want to debut asians who would appeal to the american industry. they keep debuting artists in america to see that type of asian americans would like. LOL. idk i'm totally guessing right now LOL.

inevitable..? LOL. korea isn't a cultural melting pot like america. korea is definitely more conservative than america. it might happen but you never know.. you can't say it's inevitable. like japan is like 100% completely open to korean stars but koreans are defintely not 100% open to japanese stars. koreans are not that open like you seem to think it is and the companies probably know that.

*Sigh* Okay, I think I'm really messing up what I'm trying to say here. I am fully aware of the fact that Korea has Koreans and not too much else and that they're not going to give the best reception to some random non-Asian person who debuts in their country. I said that already. What I meant by saying that them accepting/debuting foreigners was inevitable is that the time is going to come when they'll have to debut a group that's more targeted towards their international market than the Korean if they truly plan on continuing to expand and gain popularity as they've been doing. Any group that might hypothetically debut with a foreign member is probably not going to debut with the purpose of marketing TO Korea specifically. That group would be more of a group that was like... half-.... marketed toward a Korean audience and marketed MORE towards the international fanbase. 

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

The exotic thing is a matter of psychology: people like things that are mysterious, that they don't know about, and that they are not used to. You really think that even Korean idols don't have more exotic looks than the average korean person? Are Koreans blonde? The entertainment industry is all about big eyes, double eyelids, and tall noses, which are all considered more exotic features. 

1. You don't get it do you? Most Asians who are not Korean who debut in Korea has the aesthetics ( meaning looks) in Korea...Korea is a superficial country. If you don't look remotely like the standards of beauty they have in Korea, you definitely won't be popular. Singers like Victoria from F(x) and Nickhun have the looks to make it their. Sure any Asians can audition but maybe only a handful can make it passed some rounds in the audition process. The looks of a typical Cambodian won't make it too far passed the first round. Another great example is Alexander from U-kiss..He got kicked out because he was the least popular member out of the group...Even though he is half Korean ( he is also half Portuguese and half Chinese) he was still booted out. Now I wonder why he wasn't popular? Maybe the whole fact was that he didn't look Korean enough.

2. Years ago?...You make it sound like it was a century ago...It was only a couple years ago honey. And SM is still trying to debut BoA in America through other avenues in the media. I have no idea how she would fare with her COBU 3D movie, but it sounds like a straight to DVD movie to me. And what the heck are talking about? In no shape or form was America dominated by Asian pop culture influence. If you are talking about the Otakus and Anime geeks, then they only make up a small percentage in America....A very small, infantile percentage. Do you even live in America? If you do have you been living under a rock? Pop phenomenons like Rihanna, ke$ha, Katy Perry and Britney Spears rule the airwaves for a couple years now...I've been living in the center of Pop Culture phenomena called Las Vegas for years and I haven't witness anything that you just described. Also they still want a full blooded Asian to debut and make it big in America..,.Now these companies are concentrating to debut boy and girl groups like Rania, U-kiss and 2ne1 in America...All of them are Asian..None of them are Non-Asian...Until these companies get's their heads out of their own asses, I highly doubt I will see any Non-Asian performer debuting in Korea or America under the said company for that matter, any time soon nor in my lifetime.

Guest jaxije22

it's not a mean comment. she is just bluntly stating the truth. she said they're half japanese to prove that you need asian blood to get in. your skin color doesn't matter..? UH, yes it does. it matters a lot. i don't think she's trying to get your hopes down, she's telling you not to get your hopes up too high.

why does asia have to open up for non-asians when non-asians don't open up for asia?

Woah, I'm so sick of hearing these comments. Non-asians don't open up to asians??? The whole point behind this discussion is the fact that other races are acknowledging Kpop and want to take part in it (not change it). Also, a minority is a minority for a reason. It took black people a lot just to be recognized as musicians (now it has become a bloody stereotype that none of us can escape). So, as long as Asian people continue to work hard, they will see progress. There is no reason to say such outlandish statements. Minorities should stick together and then we wouldn't feel so excluded or misrepresented.

Asians/Asian Americans may not be the dominate stars in the US, but they exist...like Sandra Oh/Daniel Dae Kim. You can't ask to be included and then exclude others. It just doesn't work that way.

If everyone just opened their mind up to having a non-Asian in kpop, then it would be possible. Nothing will ever change if everyone acts like it can't.

Guest jaxije22

but the thing is is that it's sort of different.. Korean groups that are trying to cross over to America already established themselves in Korea like Wondergirls and Bi.. I mean they're famous all over Asian, not just Korea. But the non-asians here are trying to just join the asian industry without establishing themselves in a non-asian country first.. there are actually some established american artists that have fame in korea, like rihanna and madonna.

That's a good point about rihanna and madonna. Still, I think it would help bring attention to kpop if people saw that it wasn't an exclusive industry. As much as I love kpop, sometimes I feel like people don't want me to be a fan because I'm not Asian. Then, I show one ounce of interest in Asian culture and people start calling me Asian. I'm like what's going on???

Then, to have people try and call other non-Asians dreams of being in kpop foolish because of their race may be "truthful," but again it is like basically telling non-Asians keep out. That kind of message won't get the Kpop far and I really like the music. : (

Guest lainey025

At first, people will think it is soo cool because it is not you're typical. (out of curiosity)

But when there's too much foreign looking people flooding the K-entertainment.

It will makes Korean feel invaded. xD

like this is NOT their OWN entertainment anymore. 

This will only be fully accepted if the Korean society itself become multi-cultural.

I am not Korean so why am I saying this?

Because  that's how I feel about Filipino entertainment 

where majority of faces I see on TV are mix Filipinos. 

People think that Mix is beautiful  and superior 

while pure filipino is only second best. It does hurt my pride. 

Just think about how nationalistic Koreans are. 

I don't mind few but flooding is a big NO NO. 

Why did we fell in love with Korean entertainment on the first place?

Culture? Rarity? Will those things be gone when foreigners join?

Since this is all about business, will you guys lose interest if foreigners flooded the Korean entertainment ?

Guest Rita1430281860

I can see why some Asian companies wouldn't really pick a non-Asian to debut in their country. But seeing as some companies try to debut their Asian idols in America, and fail. Then why not pick non-Asians that would debut in America?

If Teddy Riley can produce Rania in Korea, then why not the other way around?

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I can see why some Asian companies wouldn't really pick a non-Asian to debut in their country. But seeing as some companies try to debut their Asian idols in America, and fail. Then why not pick non-Asians that would debut in America?

If Teddy Riley can produce Rania in Korea, then why not the other way around?

^ I agree...If these types of companies want to make it big in America, they need start locally first. get a home grown Asian-American and start off from their if they still want to debut an Asian singer.

Guest Rita1430281860

^ I agree...If these types of companies want to make it big in America, they need start locally first. get a home grown Asian-American and start off from their if they still want to debut an Asian singer.

Yeah. Especially Asian-Americans. If they want to debut their Asian idols here in America, then are better off starting with an Asian-American that looks the part of an Asian idol but has the cultural experiences of an American born citizen. This would get America as a whole familiarized with new styles of music (as in Kpop/Jpop, etc) sort of feel, while giving the audience that sense of cultural similarities since the artist, since  he/she would have been born in the USA.

Another good way to increase a bigger fan-base is by having a diverse group. Each individual member will give pride to his/her country while still having other members that can relate to other types of people. Take the PussyCat Dolls for the example, they got really far in the music business in America since there was a girl for different types of people. The only problem I had with them (unlike Asian girl groups) is that the PussyCat Dolls didn't give a sense of teamwork. As a group, the spotlight should be shared.

Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

Yeah. Especially Asian-Americans. If they want to debut their Asian idols here in America, then are better off starting with an Asian-American that looks the part of an Asian idol but has the cultural experiences of an American born citizen. This would get America as a whole familiarized with new styles of music (as in Kpop/Jpop, etc) sort of feel, while giving the audience that sense of cultural similarities since the artist, since  he/she would have been born in the USA.

Another good way to increase a bigger fan-base is by having a diverse group. Each individual member will give pride to his/her country while still having other members that can relate to other types of people. Take the PussyCat Dolls for the example, they got really far in the music business in America since there was a girl for different types of people. The only problem I had with them (unlike Asian girl groups) is that the PussyCat Dolls didn't give a sense of teamwork. As a group, the spotlight should be shared.

me too, i think companies should debut their own group in america first that is actually aimed for america and NOT korea. the american group can have non-asians and asian americans so that americans will be drawn to the group because they can relate to them culturally and americans will also be more exposed to asians. i really don't think this type of group will make it far in korea though.

Guest jaxije22

me too, i think companies should debut their own group in america first that is actually aimed for america and NOT korea. the american group can have non-asians and asian americans so that americans will be drawn to the group because they can relate to them culturally and americans will also be more exposed to asians. i really don't think this type of group will make it far in korea though.

Exactly. Problem solved! : )

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

^ They should also hire maybe a separate corporate owner and CEO to stay in America and sees every detail through at the USA headquarters. JYP Entertainment tried to do the whole Asian-American training into a popstar in the USA thing. The problem with that was that JYP couldn't handle both headquarters at once. He basically forgot about the trainees in America and concentrated only in his trainees in Korea. That right their was handled so unprofessionally and sloppily. And those trainees who were under his American headquarters wasted so many years for nothing.

Archived