What do you think about the auditions for non-Asians?

Guest Thalita

Guest Thalita

Speak their opinions.
I think many  ask this question too, and not just me.

I never heard of non-Asians they could pass on some audition.

Many Have the talent for it, But has no chance.

I think the Asian market Should give a little more space, like the USA. 

It would be nice if the USA came back to make groups of POPs as before.

What do you think about this? 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest starzXshinee

Well Jero made it in Japan ? He is a quarter Japanese I think? But you cannot tell by just looking at him.

jero-cm.jpg

And America is THE GREAT MIXING POT. In America, people have FREEDOM.

You can see a kid disrespecting their elders on the street but there is nothing you can do about it. FREEDOM OF SPREECH.

In Asia, and other countries as well, disrespecting your elders is not tolerated for. In Asia, there is much racism and sexism but there is not much you can do about it. /:

Guest LOVEmiidori

I have to disagree to that cause mostly foreigners who's not Asian has high chance to pass an audition (if they are BEASTIN!!!) cause most companies are looking for something new and fresh and faces that sells <---(sorry~ it's just how show business is :() So let's say you have blue eyes or red hair or non-Asian features, then I guess you have higher chance. I mean just look at Leah Dizon leah-dizon-pictures.jpg

AND avex star search finalists are all foreigners so if you're a foreigners who want to be part of an Asian companies, don't worry... cause if you're BEASTIN at singing or dancing then you will make it ^-^

Guest Thalita

Yeah. In Asia it is this freedom that is missing. 

I think when they begin to give more freedom people have certainly also grow their music worldwide.

EDIT: 

AND avex star search finalists are all foreigners so if you're a foreigners who want to be part of an Asian companies, don't worry... cause if you're BEASTIN at singing or dancing then you will make it ^-^

Many people have discouraged me about the auditions asian just because I'm not asiatica.

Not only me, but also many friends of mine also.

Looking for Leah Dizon's hopes up, but one thing is almost impossible.

PS: Sorry for my bad English. /hehe~

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Okay I might get flamed for this but this is just my opinion.

I think non-Asians should just stick to America or Europe...I know some of you guys who are Non-Asian have this dream that you will become a huge Kpopstar one day, but in reality do we really want a non-Asian Kpop singer? Kpop is known for it's Korean heritage culture and if a non-Asian can come and takeover then the Kpop culture just won't be Asian anymore..It might as well be just another run-of-the-mill manufactured pop music we have in America (Jsutin Beiber anyone?) Their is a reason why they only accept Asians and not just Koreans.

And the truth of the matter is not just racism but it's XENOPHOBIA. It's still considered joke in Japan and Korea that a non-Asian can sing or speak Korean...They see it as a novelty factor...The same factor they would see a bear or a dog walk on it's hind legs. They don't see it as actual talent but as a novelty act. Asians are very defending and territorial if a non-Asian even looks at our culture the wrong way. So they might think "Oh how cool! That white guy can speak fluent Korean!' at first, but after awhile "Geez...Can't that white guy shut up? He's such a Koreaphile..."

So all in all I don't think I will see any non-Asians becoming a a Kpop celebrity in Korea in my lifetime.

**Also the people who have mentioned about Avex trainees being foreign, you do realize those trainees and celebrities are half Japanese right? A full non-blooded non-Asian to make it as a full fledged Jpop or Kpop artist is still unheard of and yet be witnessed...Even the Expat actors in Korea and Japan can't get acting roles away from being foreign. Singers like Shannon Williams from Star King ( who I have heard just signed with a Kpop company) are still half Korean and they have the looks to be a Kpop celebrity because of another issue to be considered: The beauty..Korea is known for it's over zealous beauty ranking..From ranking how small your face is to a fist, to how milky white your complexion is to a white rose, to who tall or how asymmetrical your face is, to the width of your S-line to V-line and etc...Alot of non-Asians can't really fit into the mold of an Asian beauty. how are you guys cgoing to handle it when the Korean netizens pick your looks apart because, let face it, they will compare and contrast your looks to their local Korean celebrities.

Guest LOVEmiidori

Many people have discouraged me about the auditions asian just because I'm not asiatica.

Not only me, but also many friends of mine also.

Looking for Leah Dizon's hopes up, but one thing is almost impossible.

PS: Sorry for my bad English. /hehe

Aww... DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!! I understand how you feel, hun because when I first started to sing, there's many people had negative comments about my singing but as I continue to sing and learn... and here I am, three years later, I THINK I'm pretty good for an amateur (not tryna conceited or anything) Well... this is what I told myself "If I fail, I'll try again and again and again until I satisfied with my result" and it doesn't matter where you started as long as you have the will to learn and never give up then CAN'T NOBODY, CAN'T NOBODY HOLD YOU DOWN~ (sorry~ lol) So next time if someone discourage you, instead of giving up or feeling down just ask them, "Ok, if you think I suck then teach me"

P.S: I understand that no one could be like Leah Dizon but you can look at her experience as an encouragement. Even though I'm NOT her fan, but I must say she was brave to break in the Asian industry.

Okay I might get flamed for this but this is just my opinion.

I think non-Asians should just stick to America or Europe...I know some of you guys who are Non-Asian have this dream that you will become a huge Kpopstar one day, but in reality do we really want a non-Asian Kpop singer? Kpop is known for it's Korean heritage culture and if a not even a non-Asian can come and takeover then the Kpop culture just won't be Asian anymore..It might as well be just another run-of-the-mill manufactured poptart we see here in America (Jsutin Beiber anyone?) Their is a reason why they only accept Asians and not just Koreans.

And the truth of the matter is not just racism but it's XENOPHOBIA. It's still considered joke in Japan and Korea that a non-Asian can sing or speak Korean...They see it as a novelty factor...They same factor they would see a bear or a dog walk on it's hind legs. They don't see it as actual talent but as a novelty act. Asians are very defending and territorial if a non-Asian even looks at our culture the wrong way. So they might think "Oh how cool! That white guy can speak fluent Korean!' at first but after awhile "Geez...Can't that white guy shut up? He's such a Koreaphile..."

So all in all I don't think I will see any non-Koreans becoming a a Kpop celebrity in Korea in my lifetime.

**Also the people who have mentioned about Avex trainees being foreign, you do realize those trainees and celebrities are half Japanese right? A full non-blooded Asian to make it as a full fledged Jpop or Kpop artist is still unheard of and yet be witnessed...Even the Expat actors in Korea and or Japan can't get acting roles away from being foreign. singers like Shannon Williams ( who I have heard just signed with a Kpop company) are still half Korean and they have the looks to be a Kpop celebrity.

Well, you don't have to leave such a mean comments!!! cause what you said is not even true! So you're saying that you have to be Asian to be in an Asian music industry?! cause I don't believe in that... If you have talents then it doesn't matter what's your skin color or where you come from. And those trainees in avex... so what if they're half blood Japanese or whatever... as long as they have talents! Why do you have to get someone's hope down like that?

Guest whatsupman

Well, you don't have to leave such a mean comments!!! cause what you said is not even true! So you're saying that you have to be Asian to be in an Asian music industry?! cause I don't believe in that... If you have talents then it doesn't matter what's your skin color or where you come from. And those trainees in avex... so what if they're half blood Japanese or whatever... as long as they have talents! Why do you have to get someone's hope down like that?

it's not a mean comment. she is just bluntly stating the truth. she said they're half japanese to prove that you need asian blood to get in. your skin color doesn't matter..? UH, yes it does. it matters a lot. i don't think she's trying to get your hopes down, she's telling you not to get your hopes up too high.

why does asia have to open up for non-asians when non-asians don't open up for asia?

Guest Thalita

Aww... DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!! I understand how you feel, hun because when I first started to sing, there's many people had negative comments about my singing but as I continue to sing and learn... and here I am, three years later, ITHINK I'm pretty good for an amateur (not tryna conceited or anything) Well... this is what I told myself "If I fail, I'll try again and again and again until I satisfied with my result" and it doesn't matter where you started as long as you have the will to learn and never give up then CAN'T NOBODY, CAN'T NOBODY HOLD YOU DOWN~ (sorry~ lol) So next time if someone discourage you, instead of giving up or feeling down just ask them, "Ok, if you think I suck then teach me" 

P.S: I understand that no one could be like Leah Dizon but you can look at her experience as an encouragement. Even though I'm NOT her fan, but I must say she was brave to break in the Asian industry.

Yes I will not lose hope ... Since no one should miss.

But it is as if Asia does not want open space for non-Asians, and if that ever happen, is it really a miracle.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Okay when was I even mean in any of my comments? Not even true? I have experience when it comes to auditioning for these types of companies. Some I have even got offered a contract but had to turn down becasue the clauses were too unfit for me to sign and agree with.

If you can't handle my comments than how are you going to handle the backlash, the frustrations and tears when it comes to this industry? Sorry if I came across as harsh but I'm not going to sugar coat it for you or anyone just because it doesn't sound pleasant.

Also even Leah Dizon has some bit of Asian Blood in her. And plus she looks like a typical Japanese pop Idol because her features are so predominantly popular and considered beautiful in Japan.

Guest LOVEmiidori

it's not a mean comment. she is just bluntly stating the truth. she said they're half japanese to prove that you need asian blood to get in. your skin color doesn't matter..? UH, yes it does. it matters a lot. i don't think she's trying to get your hopes down, she's telling you not to get your hopes up too high.

why does asia have to open up for non-asians when non-asians don't open up for asia?

I never said it was wrong for her to leave a comment but that's kinda too mean. I know that USA doesn't open up to Asian but look at Far East Movement... They're Asian and they made it to the Billboard. This is the new era... Asian or Non-Asian, doesn't matter!!! As long as you have a dream I don't think why should anyone stop you.

Guest LOVEmiidori

Okay when was I even mean in any of my comments? Not even true? I have experience when it comes to auditioning for these types of companies. Some I have even got offered a contract but had to turn down becasue the clauses were too unfit for me to sign and agree with.

If you can't handle my comments than how are you going to handle the backlash, the frustrations and tears when it comes to this industry? Sorry if I came across as harsh but I'm not going to sugar coat it for you or anyone just because it doesn't sound pleasant.

Also even Leah Dizon has some bit of Asian Blood in her. And plus she looks like a typical Japanese pop Idol because her features are so predominantly popular and considered beautiful in Japan.

Well.. I'm sorry if you experienced such things and I know that the music industry isn't sugar coated world and like you said if you can't handle MY comment then oh well... I never said it was wrong for you to leave a comment. Just put yourself in a non-asian's shoes and you want to be part of the Asian industry... what if someone said "No! You can't make it cause you're not asian" How would you feel? or maybe if you are an non-asian... then why would you bring someone down? I mean... it's hard to get in the industry whether you're Asian nor non-Asian...

Guest KhmerChinboiy

I think many  ask this question too, and not just me.

I never heard of non-Asians they could pass on some audition.

Many Have the talent for it, But has no chance.

I think the Asian market Should give a little more space, like the USA. 

It would be nice if the USA came back to make groups of POPs as before.

What do you think about this? 

it's very hard to talk about this ya know.  Ok don't you see In America there no asian famous singer for America. They are very hard on Asian. I watch American Idol and i remember the guys that sing shi bang shi bang watever it is . They choose that guy to be in the show . there's tons of Asian who are talent at singing . but they choose the one that can't sing and put him on national TV so people that view think asian suck at singing even people in my school stereotype asian dis and that.

and for non asian its going to be so so so hard. I'm not trying to discourage you but for me as a southeast Asian i still ask people do you think i have chance to get in Kpop industry and their answer would be " you have to be standout than those korean stars or people to get pick" and if it is your dream then it will come true if u keep on chasing it and you have to sacrafice many things.

Guest whatsupman

I never said it was wrong for her to leave a comment but that's kinda too mean. I know that USA doesn't open up to Asian but look at Far East Movement... They're Asian and they made it to the Billboard. This is the new era... Asian or Non-Asian, doesn't matter!!! As long as you have a dream I don't think why should anyone stop you.

even if it's mean, it's the truth. also USA and korea or any other asian country are so different.. i don't think you should compare them.. korea is still a very homogeneous country, but the us is full of different cultures and nationalities.. most non asians in korea are usually tourists. no one is stopping you from trying to debut in asia.. you just won't get the proper recognition to survive in the industry. i think it will be a long time until asia fully opens up to non asian people. but you can try. just don't get your hopes up too high.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

Well.. I'm sorry if you experienced such things and I know that the music industry isn't sugar coated world and like you said if you can't handle MY comment then oh well... I never said it was wrong for you to leave a comment. Just put yourself in a non-asian's shoes and you want to be part of the Asian industry... what if someone said "No! You can't make it cause you're not asian" How would you feel? or maybe if you are an non-asian... then why would you bring someone down? I mean... it's hard to get in the industry whether you're Asian nor non-Asian...

Okay... First of all you were the one that whined to me that I was mean...Yet you are the one reprimanding me for getting upset? Do you realize how hypocritical you come across? It was my opinion and you got upset about it. :huh: Don't come on here expecting people to tell you "Oh you are going to make it with just talent alone" or "Even if you aren't Asian you can still make it..." Why should I tell people these things when it's not true? They are going to find this out sooner or later. If anything I would rather people come on here with the set mind that the odds against them are pretty high and slim, yet would still go for their dreams because they know the setbacks and outcome might not be pretty. You seem like the type of wannabe I see all the time that accidentally "discovers" this forum..Every once in awhile their are some people come in here saying "Oh I wanna become a singer in Japan" or "I wanna be the next Nickhun!" and post up their songs and dance clips here which I might add are rather subpar and rather below average in talent and looks. and just as they come in with their so-called dream, they abruptly leave...I'm guessing half of those guys didn't just easily make it into the Kpop industry as a singer just as easily as they got interested in it do you?

And if you are going to call out on my so called "meanness" then I am going to call you out for getting upset on the so called "truth". Don't you think you are setting yourself a bit too high in your fantasy and dream that you might just make it in Japan? And since I wrote down something that probably popped your little fantasy bubble, you are getting upset not at me but at the blatant truth that I just posted up? The truth hurts so don't take it out on me.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

it's very hard to talk about this ya know.  Ok don't you see In America there no asian famous singer for America. They are very hard on Asian. I watch American Idol and i remember the guys that sing shi bang shi bang watever it is . They choose that guy to be in the show . there's tons of Asian who are talent at singing . but they choose the one that can't sing and put him on national TV so people that view think asian suck at singing even people in my school stereotype asian dis and that.

and for non asian its going to be so so so hard. I'm not trying to discourage you but for me as a southeast Asian i still ask people do you think i have chance to get in Kpop industry and their answer would be " you have to be standout than those korean stars or people to get pick" and if it is your dream then it will come true if u keep on chasing it and you have to sacrafice many things.

^ Were you talking about William Hung?

Guest starzXshinee

lol I remeber William Hung singing "she bangs" when he trie dout...God that was so embarassing :blink: .

lol it was but he got signed after that ~

Guest Aikurah

Truth is foreigners do have to accept the fact that Asian companies...well...likes Asians.

You cannot expect Asian companies to accept Africans or Caucasians so easily. Often, in fact, a lot Asians are still awfully discriminative inside. It just seems that Non-Asians are just blind to that. I am Chinese and my mother dislikes Africans in general, and same with Europeans, just not so much as with the Africans. And truth is; many Asians dislike it when people always claim they are Asian because that is the latest trend. I understand that Asians are intimidating at times and you would like to be them once in a while, but I do get annoyed when people just throw away their heritage to try and adapt to a new one.

One of my friends is African but she doesn't accept it. She is a complete Japanophile. Before, I remember her saying that her family was from Northern Africa and Troubadour, but that changed. Now she just HAS to add the fact that her great, great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great grandfather was Japanese. And usually that means you aren't even Japanese anymore. How can anyone really consider another Japanese when that was dated back then? And I never remembered when Japan and Africa ever made any contact whatsoever back then. She completely threw away her heritage and tried to learn Japanese from watching hundreds of Anime shows, then trying to convince her mother to allow her to become an exchange student in Tokyo. What AngelBaby was saying is completely true; Koreaphiles and Japanophiles was only made a term when foreigners made such a large deal out of Anime and K-Pop. They start making crazy and random claims that make them appear Asian. 

Having that said, people need to understand the fact that even if you are 1/100 Asian; that won't get you into the K-Pop industry. They used lots of time to even expand into China and Japan. Now how long would it take when there would be Black rappers dominating the Asian Entertainment industry?

Asia is Asia. Asians come from Asia. Everyone has to live by that. I remember when I was small people always made fun of me for being Asian. They always told me how crappy Asian music is, how the United States is so much better than Asian hut villages, how dumb it sounds whenever I speak Chinese to my family...it just wasn't fun. They would always say "Ching Chang Chong Hao Gao Hung Hu! I bet I just spoke Chinese in that sentence!"  Oh, and now I hear people saying how lucky I am to be Asian, how lucky that my country is full of cute boys and awesome music and how much they would like to swap their souls to an Asian one? Honestly, people! K-Pop is not K-Pop anymore if foreigners start making music in the industry. That...is just pop. Just with a different language, I guess.

I think that just because Asia changed does not mean they have to. I keep on hearing how foreigners will keep on auditioning in S.M. or J.Y.P until they accept black people. Is it really that hard? Why can't you try and audition for American companies; I bet that they will accept you by a higher chance than these Asian companies. And adding to that, I know white and black people have plenty of talent. But that talent is employed in American companies! Not Asian ones! Is it the fact that none of you have ever heard of American Idol, Britians got Talent, X Factor? Any of those? Ever heard of Justin Bieber? Taylor Swift? Kelly Clarkson? Those people made it huge in the world; and it started with their talent here in America, Canada, and Europe.

I am just stating the obvious here.

"Well.. I'm sorry if you experienced such things and I know that the music industry isn't sugar coated world and like you said if you can't handle MY comment then oh well... I never said it was wrong for you to leave a comment. Just put yourself in a non-asian's shoes and you want to be part of the Asian industry... what if someone said "No! You can't make it cause you're not asian" How would you feel? or maybe if you are an non-asian... then why would you bring someone down? I mean... it's hard to get in the industry whether you're Asian nor non-Asian... "

Ah, and about this comment...

If I were to be a non-Asian, you know what? I would feel that I need to calm my crap down and just realize that...well...I'm not Asian after all. Non-Asians can enjoy all the K-Pop they want, dress up like an Asian, get plastic surgery to look like one, claim they are one, but inside...you're still not Asian and you will never be. I feel that it is completely FINE for non-Asians to enjoy Asian culture, but its not fine when you act like its yours. Because, simply, its not. And on the last sentence, of course its hard. What do you think? Do you think it just takes a pretty Asian face to get into the industry? No! It doesn't! It require talent, but it also requires the fact that you are suited to the industry. It's even harder to get into the industry if you are non-Asian. It's possible, but the chances are just much lower. For a while Asians were neglected from the American pop industry. It should be the same for the Asian pop industry. If you don't like it, then you don't. Hold a protest. Look like a Koreaphile. Make yourself look like a fool. I really don't give a crap. You're making yourself hard to look at without even realizing it. You cannot force a race to be accepted by another. It takes persuasion and time. Look at this. Far East Movement really didn't gain popularity until 2010. But twenty years ago, when Pop existed, tell me...was there an Asian artist? No. 

It will be a while before the Korean Industry allows full African or White people in. Because you know what, Koreans will just be racist and bash against you because they aren't adapted to such an open country. America had to be a melting pot before it really had any Asian artists you know. Same applies for every other country.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

lol it was but he got signed after that ~

Yeah he even sold out his first album lol :lol: But I think he got famous for all the wrong reasons. :sweatingbullets:

Truth is foreigners do have to accept the fact that Asian companies...well...likes Asians.

You cannot expect Asian companies to accept Africans or Caucasians so easily. Often, in fact, a lot Asians are still awfully discriminative inside. It just seems that Non-Asians are just blind to that. I am Chinese and my mother dislikes Africans in general, and same with Europeans, just not so much as with the Africans. And truth is; many Asians dislike it when people always claim they are Asian because that is the latest trend. I understand that Asians are intimidating at times and you would like to be them once in a while, but I do get annoyed when people just throw away their heritage to try and adapt to a new one.

One of my friends is African but she doesn't accept it. She is a complete Japanophile. Before, I remember her saying that her family was from Northern Africa and Troubadour, but that changed. Now she just HAS to add the fact that her great, great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great grandfather was Japanese. And usually that means you aren't even Japanese anymore. How can anyone really consider another Japanese when that was dated back then? And I never remembered when Japan and Africa ever made any contact whatsoever back then. She completely threw away her heritage and tried to learn Japanese from watching hundreds of Anime shows, then trying to convince her mother to allow her to become an exchange student in Tokyo. What AngelBaby was saying is completely true; Koreaphiles and Japanophiles was only made a term when foreigners made such a large deal out of Anime and K-Pop. They start making crazy and random claims that make them appear Asian. 

Having that said, people need to understand the fact that even if you are 1/100 Asian; that won't get you into the K-Pop industry. They used lots of time to even expand into China and Japan. Now how long would it take when there would be Black rappers dominating the Asian Entertainment industry?

Asia is Asia. Asians come from Asia. Everyone has to live by that. I remember when I was small people always made fun of me for being Asian. They always told me how crappy Asian music is, how the United States is so much better than Asian hut villages, how dumb it sounds whenever I speak Chinese to my family...it just wasn't fun. They would always say "Ching Chang Chong Hao Gao Hung Hu! I bet I just spoke Chinese in that sentence!"  Oh, and now I hear people saying how lucky I am to be Asian, how lucky that my country is full of cute boys and awesome music and how much they would like to swap their souls to an Asian one? Honestly, people! K-Pop is not K-Pop anymore if foreigners start making music in the industry. That...is just pop. Just with a different language, I guess.

I think that just because Asia changed does not mean they have to. I keep on hearing how foreigners will keep on auditioning in S.M. or J.Y.P until they accept black people. Is it really that hard? Why can't you try and audition for American companies; I bet that they will accept you by a higher chance than these Asian companies. And adding to that, I know white and black people have plenty of talent. But that talent is employed in American companies! Not Asian ones! Is it the fact that none of you have ever heard of American Idol, Britians got Talent, X Factor? Any of those? Ever heard of Justin Bieber? Taylor Swift? Kelly Clarkson? Those people made it huge in the world; and it started with their talent here in America, Canada, and Europe.

I am just stating the obvious here.

"Well.. I'm sorry if you experienced such things and I know that the music industry isn't sugar coated world and like you said if you can't handle MY comment then oh well... I never said it was wrong for you to leave a comment. Just put yourself in a non-asian's shoes and you want to be part of the Asian industry... what if someone said "No! You can't make it cause you're not asian" How would you feel? or maybe if you are an non-asian... then why would you bring someone down? I mean... it's hard to get in the industry whether you're Asian nor non-Asian... "

Ah, and about this comment...

If I were to be a non-Asian, you know what? I would feel that I need to calm my crap down and just realize that...well...I'm not Asian after all. Non-Asians can enjoy all the K-Pop they want, dress up like an Asian, get plastic surgery to look like one, claim they are one, but inside...you're still not Asian and you will never be. I feel that it is completely FINE for non-Asians to enjoy Asian culture, but its not fine when you act like its yours. Because, simply, its not. And on the last sentence, of course its hard. What do you think? Do you think it just takes a pretty Asian face to get into the industry? No! It doesn't! It require talent, but it also requires the fact that you are suited to the industry. It's even harder to get into the industry if you are non-Asian. It's possible, but the chances are just much lower. For a while Asians were neglected from the American pop industry. It should be the same for the Asian pop industry. If you don't like it, then you don't. Hold a protest. Look like a Koreaphile. Make yourself look like a fool. I really don't give a crap. You're making yourself hard to look at without even realizing it. You cannot force a race to be accepted by another. It takes persuasion and time. Look at this. Far East Movement really didn't gain popularity until 2010. But twenty years ago, when Pop existed, tell me...was there an Asian artist? No. 

It will be a while before the Korean Industry allows full African or White people in. Because you know what, Koreans will just be racist and bash against you because they aren't adapted to such an open country. America had to be a melting pot before it really had any Asian artists you know. Same applies for every other country.

^ Great comment Aikurah...Couldn't have said it better myself :)

Archived