[Drama 2011] 49 Days 사십구 일

prissymom

SKorean viewers' taste in dramas have become so unpredictable of late. It used to be that big-name stars, big budget and big hype are enough to draw viewers to a drama. But lately, dramas with these 3 things going for them have suffered in the ratings. It seems SK viewers are now more into the story than into the hype/name/budget of a drama. And what kind of story will touch their heart is still a big question mark.

49 and the 2 other dramas that will compete with it all boast of big established stars, let us just hope and pray that 49's story will stand out among the 3 to bring our drama to the top.

btw, welcome to the thread, silesha! WITHS2 has this drama listed as their future subbing project. But they don't like having their subs on streaming sites like youtube, so we may have to rely on recaps.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annyeong~~

Hello everybody, how are you guys doing? :)

Gosh, i feel so sad since there's still no official confirmation about who's the real male lead until now -_-

Looks like PD-nim and the writer are really doing this to surprise the fans..But just like ninimi said, i'm so worried about Ilwoo..I don't wanna this drama will end up as big disappointment for him..(So no more 2nd MFL <_< ) Honestly, i really wish that he's the male lead so that he can show his acting skill just like he did during ROI..I think as male lead, the actor is given so many opportunities to show his acting skill..

prissymom, if i may share my thought about SK viewers taste have become unpredictable lately, i may totally agree with you..But i have the same wish as you; hoping this drama will turn out great :)

@sandixbabo, did you forget that Ilwoo's already been my hubby since a long time ago? :P

Later~~

yea about the SK taste, it changed to be unpredictable.. but among those Wed-Thur Drama, as i seen the synopsys of three drama which will compete, if i take a position not as a fan of one of the cast, just be a viewer without any subjection matters, if i have to choose, i definetely will choose 49 DAYS, becoz the plot seems so interesting and still mysterious about what will happened in the end, i think it's unique, many questions about this and that, that's why i will decide to wacth 49 DAYS to feed my curousity.. and i hope SK also have the same taste with mine.. LOL

about online streaming to wacth 49 DAYS, i think it's rare for youtube to have the long drama upload, maybe just some episodes.

but don't worrY, we have viki, which has listed 49 DAYS as the upcoming project as on of the biggest online subbing channel

we can wacth many drama there, and 49 DAYS has got it's own chanel in viki

here : VIKI - 49 DAYS CHANEL

Annyeong~~

Hello everybody, how are you guys doing? :)

Gosh, i feel so sad since there's still no official confirmation about who's the real male lead until now -_-

Looks like PD-nim and the writer are really doing this to surprise the fans..But just like ninimi said, i'm so worried about Ilwoo..I don't wanna this drama will end up as big disappointment for him..(So no more 2nd MFL <_< ) Honestly, i really wish that he's the male lead so that he can show his acting skill just like he did during ROI..I think as male lead, the actor is given so many opportunities to show his acting skill..

prissymom, if i may share my thought about SK viewers taste have become unpredictable lately, i may totally agree with you..But i have the same wish as you; hoping this drama will turn out great :)

@sandixbabo, did you forget that Ilwoo's already been my hubby since a long time ago? :P

Later~~

OMG, what am I to do? I have 2 girls here claiming to be Il-woo's wife! :lol: Is he aware that he has 2 wives (or more) already? :o

Seriously now. ilwoo_aein, I understand your desire for JIW to be the lead male here. All fans would like their favorite actor/actress to be the lead character in their dramas/movies. Sometimes we get what we want, but sometimes we don't. In any case, I think JIW and his management agency are now more careful about choosing his projects after the MFL fiasco. I saw that drama, not in its entirety but enough to agree with you that his talent was totally wasted there. But that experience wasn't a total waste for him, because he has learned to be more careful in choosing his projects. He may not have gained anything there acting-wise, but in terms of personal growth/maturity it must have taught him a lot. So have faith in your "hubby", like I have faith in "my JHJ" :) .

JHJ gave up a lot of other offers, some of which are from mega-productions, to be in this drama. He must have a very good reason for choosing this drama for his comeback project. He may be the lead actor or not, of course I would like to think that he is. But even if he isn't I would still support him 110% because I have faith in him. I don't second-guess his decisions because I always trust his judgement. :)

I do agree with what you said that lead actors are given more opportunities to show their acting skills, but if an actor is truly a good one, he/she will still shine even in a minor role. JHJ's role in Dae Mang was so minor, he was not even second or third lead. Not even 4th or 5th. His role was so minor that his name was not even listed in the opening credits. His character was even supposed to die. But he did his best with his "very minor" role, and it paid off. He was noticed by the audience. The script was rewritten to justify not killing off his character after a few eps and to justify his presence until the end of the drama. He has been doing mostly lead roles since then. But from time to time he would take on a supporting role if he felt that the role is challenging enough.

So, just continue to support and trust your Il-woo oppa. Whatever his reasons for choosing this drama as his comeback project after more than a year of being away must be very good indeed.

ninimi, thank you for the VIKI link. I will post on the first page later.

OMG, what am I to do? I have 2 girls here claiming to be Il-woo's wife! :lol: Is he aware that he has 2 wives (or more) already? :o

Now I am curious who's the real wife...

Prissymom, now you have big trouble coming...hope there will be no more wives coming or there will be a big battle of wives here...LOL. JIW must be so kind to marry them all... :)

“Thorn Birds”, are they really that strong? I only know HHJ & Wolya (sorry, forgot his real name). But, looking at it, I think 49 Days has stronger cast. Also, I think 49 Days is more captivating in terms of the plot.

But then yeah, I guess it all depends on the taste & mode of the Korean people. I too hope that they will be hooked to 49.

yeah i also hope 49 Days will win the battle on We-Thur's Drama.

this drama has an interesting and unique plot..

i'm already falling in love with the story and can't wait to see the drama began.

i'm so excited!

even if LYW declined to star in this drama (long suspense before she confirms), i will still take this drama as priority. fortunately she confirms and my desire for this drama is getting higher and higher :wub:

Just wanna share with you this heart-warming well-wishes for the drama from the father of one of JHJ's army mates. Message was posted on JHJ's Official Website 1.21.2011....

First message from Pennsylvania USA after the register in your homepage goldeniron 11.01.21

Dear Hyunjae,

I am a father of Ji-Hawn Kim who served in the same military camp with you. I have watched eye on you after your military service because my son has mentioned you many times. It is great to hear you are going to be cast as a star in the SBS drama from the end of January 2011. Honestly speaking, I did not know of you until Ji-Hawn had mentioned you because I had tied up too much with my profession. I was however very much impressed by your acting in "Seodongyeo" which I and my wife watched DVDs after it was shown through SBS. You did a great job in the drama and soon all of our family became your fan.

As you probarbly know I and Ji-Hwan are currently in Slippery Rock University(One of Pennsylvania State Universities),Pennsylvania USA.I came here for teaching and Ji-Hawn for taking classes in the university. Ji-Hwan was very successful in the last semester.

Ji-Hwan has always concerned your success and rising-up as a star after a long break of military service.

We, all of our family wish the new year brings you a great resurrection after a long break in your profession, well being and peace in your family.

Best Regards,

credit: http://www.johyunjae.com

I hope JHJ's army buddies will also help in increasing the viewership of our drama in SKorea! :)

Seriously now. ilwoo_aein, I understand your desire for JIW to be the lead male here. All fans would like their favorite actor/actress to be the lead character in their dramas/movies. Sometimes we get what we want, but sometimes we don't. In any case, I think JIW and his management agency are now more careful about choosing his projects after the MFL fiasco. I saw that drama, not in its entirety but enough to agree with you that his talent was totally wasted there. But that experience wasn't a total waste for him, because he has learned to be more careful in choosing his projects. He may not have gained anything there acting-wise, but in terms of personal growth/maturity it must have taught him a lot. So have faith in your "hubby", like I have faith in "my JHJ" :) .

JHJ gave up a lot of other offers, some of which are from mega-productions, to be in this drama. He must have a very good reason for choosing this drama for his comeback project. He may be the lead actor or not, of course I would like to think that he is. But even if he isn't I would still support him 110% because I have faith in him. I don't second-guess his decisions because I always trust his judgement. :)

I do agree with what you said that lead actors are given more opportunities to show their acting skills, but if an actor is truly a good one, he/she will still shine even in a minor role. JHJ's role in Dae Mang was so minor, he was not even second or third lead. Not even 4th or 5th. His role was so minor that his name was not even listed in the opening credits. His character was even supposed to die. But he did his best with his "very minor" role, and it paid off. He was noticed by the audience. The script was rewritten to justify not killing off his character after a few eps and to justify his presence until the end of the drama. He has been doing mostly lead roles since then. But from time to time he would take on a supporting role if he felt that the role is challenging enough.

So, just continue to support and trust your Il-woo oppa. Whatever his reasons for choosing this drama as his comeback project after more than a year of being away must be very good indeed.

Annyeong~~

Hi prissymom ^^

Don't worry, i won't make any commotion here even though there are other girls claiming as Ilwoo's wife; since i'm the official one :lol: Actually, i agree with you. I always support and have faith in him, but i've always thought MFL is total disappointment because the writer and producer made his character such a waste..I could say, Ilwoo's character is just a compliment-if the character disappear since the first episode it won't make any big major effect to the story. As his big fan, i was so sad that time. That's why i really hope this time he won't make any mistake by choosing "49 Days" as his comeback project. Moreover, if he didn't cast as the first male lead, it could be hard for him. I'm afraid the audience won't notice his character because their attention will be centralized to the main lead actor and actress story. Plus, we all know that many senior actor and actress have joined this drama (Hyunjae, Yowon, Soobin and Jihye) and Ilwoo is just newcomer. What i'm afraid of is he'll be another 'compliment character' unless if his character is the main focus of this drama. What i mean; it's okay if his character doesn't end up with one of the girl characters in this drama, but it would be great if his character really determine the story line. Actually, i did envy Ilwoo's best friend, Lee Minho, who's been successfully cast as main lead character in his two last dramas. In addition, SK viewers love to see drama connected with souls lately :D "My Girlfriend is Gumiho" and "Secret Garden" are the examples of successful dramas using 'soul' as their main theme. I hope "49 Days" will be a popular drama in 2011 :) Btw, Ilwoo is younger than me, but is it okay if i call him Ilwoo-oppa? I usually call him Ilwoo sshi :lol:

The Lovely Death Angel: Jung Ilwoo aka Song Yi Soo :wub:

19003180.jpg

btw, do you guys and girls have twitter of the actors and actress?

i want to follow them,

please tell me the twitter of JHJ, JIW, BSB , SJH, and NGR,

don't ask LYW's twitter to me, becoz she has deleted it . LOL

this is the risk of having drama with so many stars in it, many stars means many fans, and each fans want their idol to be the brightest. :D

btw, do you guys and girls have twitter of the actors and actress?

i want to follow them,

please tell me the twitter of JHJ, JIW, BSB , SJH, and NGR,

don't ask LYW's twitter to me, becoz she has deleted it . LOL

this is the risk of having drama with so many stars in it, many stars means many fans, and each fans want their idol to be the brightest. :D

ninimi, JHJ on twitter? How his fans would love to see that day! But it is very unlikely, he's not into computers. He uses the computer only when he absolutely has to :lol:

ilwoo_aein, so you're the legal wife! actually it would be nice if more Mrs. Jung join us here - the more the merrier!

As regards, JIW's role in 49, I read that the scriptwriter is quite good in developing her characters. She spends time developing her characters so much so that viewers even sympathize with secondary characters. This is true of Bae Soo Bin and Moon Chae Won in Brilliant Legacy. BSB is the second male lead in the drama and yet people rooted for him as much as they rooted for Lee Seung gi to end up with Han Hyo Joo. Moon Chae WOn was the villain (up to a certain extent) and yet she was not totally bad, viewers still liked her character. Of course BL has more episodes than 49 will have. But still, let us hope that scriptwriter's deft touch with her characters is still there or even better.

“49 Days”: site location

49DaysPoster11.jpg

It seems preparation work has started for “49 Days” at a site location — Asem Tower, located at 159-1 Samseong-dong, Gangnam-gu, South Korea 135-798.

asemtower1.jpg

asemtower2.jpg

asemtower3.jpg

Credit: www.kdrama.com; http://blog.naver.com; www.johyunjae.hk; and wuliJHJ at http://jo-hyun-jae.com. Thanks!

*****************************************************************************************

Here are excerpts from an interview given by the scriptwriter of "49 Days". However, the interview is not about our drama "49", but about Prosecutor Princess, because at the time this interview was granted, "49" may not even be on the scriptwriter's mind. I am posting it here anyway to give us an insight to the mind behind the story of "49 Days". English translation is by wuliJHJ at http://jo-hyun-jae.com. Text in italics are the personal thoughts of the blog owner of wuliJHJ.

“49 Days” scriptwriter: interview

EVERnew12.jpg

You all know the scriptwriter of Jo Hyun-Jae’s new drama “49 Days” is So Hyun-Kyung (SHK) who is said to have specially requested JHJ to play that role (which we know little about so far.) This interview is not about “49 Days” at all but mostly about “Prosecutor Princess” (PP), her hit drama of 2010. We have only translated extracts from the interview which took place one month after PP ended in late May 2010. SHK also wrote the 2009 mega-hit “A Brilliant Legacy”.

SHK.jpg

In SHK’s own words:

“Every time a drama ends, I’m still writing the last episode in my dreams. Every time I start writing a drama, I stay home and bury myself in the script for several months. When the drama ends, there will be some time when I don’t know what to do at all. I’m actually in a daze now.” (Laughs)

SHK hardly ever grants interviews. When “A Brilliant Legacy” ended, she refused all interviews. Why does she consent this time?

“I’m a writer, not an actor, so I feel a little uneasy appearing before the public. I also wonder whether viewers, once they know the writer, will be affected when they watch her next work. Then I gradually begin to feel viewers’ response and concern. Even though ratings are very important, viewers also consider the complete work. I’m doing this interview out of gratitude of viewers’ sincerity and love. I’ll continue to do so in the future.”

PP (SBS) came up against strong competition from KBS and MBC in the Wednesday/Thursday drama slots, so it started off at #3 with 7.3% in the first episode on 2010.03.31. “At first I was very unhappy because the protagonist Ma Hye-Ri (played by Kim So-Yeon – KSY) did not give a good initial impression (because of her character.) I was afraid the actors would be scolded because of my script, so I felt very bad. We are one family, so I care about the actors. Luckily with time, viewers began to like the drama more and more.” [Ed: final episode on 2010.05.20 is 12.4%.)

SHK on Kim So-Yeon (lead actor in PP):

“I first saw KSY when she was 17 in the weekend drama ‘Yesterday’ in which she played a character from high school to age 25/26. Even then I was very impressed with her acting. Ma Hye-Ri in PP is very different from KSY’s usual cool looks, so she has to change her style radically. She worked very hard to portray the part I wrote specially for her.”

SHK1.jpg

SHK is asked how important she sees an actor’s acting ability and/or his/her type. Her answer: “The director controls shooting on site. The writer normally communicates with the actors through the director. But sometimes I feel like communicating directly with an actor to make sure the character is portrayed accurately. Sometimes viewers abandon a drama halfway because of faulty interpretation in terms of speech and expressions. If an actor veers off-course, it could be disastrous. When PP first started, I felt very uneasy, but when it ended, I was surprised Ma Hye-Ri was so loved by viewers. I think that is the result of acting from the heart.”

Not a word in this interview on “49 Days”. SHK is still basking in the triumph of PP which is more successful than its ratings suggest. “49 Days” must have been born out of her “daze”. If SHK’s two previous dramas are anything to go by, “49 Days” should be equally brilliant. Good things come in 3s, right?

SHK wonders if viewers will be influenced in respect to a writer’s next work once they get to know her. We certainly hope viewers will be positively influenced and will like “49 Days”, not just because it is a SHK script, but on its own merits.

Like PP, “49 Days” will also appear on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Unlike PP, of course we hope it will get off to a strong start and stay that way. We didn’t know that actors will be “scolded” if viewers don’t like a drama, even though we’ve always known that Korean netizens are among the harshest in the world.

SHK wrote PP specially for KSY. Since she handpicked JHJ for “49 Days”, she must have been impressed by his previous works. If she likes “acting from the heart”, she has chosen the right actor. We are confident that as long as they have a good script to work with, JHJ and co. will do justice to SHK’s new drama which we hope will sweep all the year-end awards of 2011!

Credit: JHJ photo from www.everjohyunjae.co.kr – JHJ 2011 calendar series; original Korean article from http://news.nate.com; this English translation based on Chinese translation on http://johyunjae.cn; www.johyunjae.hk; and wuliJHJ at http://jo-hyun-jae.com. Thanks!

Thanks for the photos and interview Prissymom.  It’s nice to acquaint inside the writer’s mind.  Knowing her work ethnic, I have faith in her writing for 49 Days.  The plot seems very intriguing.  I believe the script would touch the viewers’ hearts seeing how there are three persons crying genuinely for the coma.

“49 Days” to start shooting this week?

We get our news anywhere we can. This is a message Jung Il-Woo supposedly left on Twitter on January 23, carried on his Baidu fansite. We cannot vouch for its authenticity, but the timing is right. Everybody knows “49 Days” will start shooting in late January, and there is only one week left.

Little sister, it’s snowing. You like it? Obba (big brother) will start filming next week. Beware of the slippery snow. Also watch out for traffic!!

JIW.jpg

(Credit: Baidu Jung Il-Woo website; johyunjaechina.com, http://jo-hyun-jae.com/)

“49 Days” official website

49-1.jpg

49-2.jpg

Schedule

Following chart says:

“49 Days” Episode 2 (Final Copy) 11.01.23

“49 Days” Episode 1 (Final Copy) 11.01.23

“49 Days” Business Plan 11.01.23

All finalized on 2011.01.23

There are also other charts that list the Art Department (including Special Effects – ASEM Tower, costumes, and miscellaneous) as well as the Production Team which consists of people who have worked on the drama “Giant”.

All we need to know is that everything is in place, and once shooting starts, presumably at the end of January, everything will be on a roll.

49poster.jpg

Credit: http://cafe.daum.net.sbs49days; http://blog.naver.com; www.leeyowon.cn; www.krdrama.com; www.everjohyunjae.co.kr; www.johyunjae.hk, http://jo-hyun-jae.com/)

“49 Days” start-date to be postponed

49Days-Poster2.jpg

Announced on 2011.01.24:

The SBS drama currently showing, “Sign”, will be extended by another 4 episodes. “Sign” began its run on January 5, so 20 episodes will bring it up to March 10. This means “49 Days” will not begin until March 16 (Wednesday). No wonder SBS is taking its time announcing the start-date of “49 Days”. This will mean “49 Days” will have to catch up with its KBS (”The Thorn Birds”) and MBC (”Royal Family”) rivals in the Wednesday/Thursday slots.

Credit: http://media.daum.net; www.krdrama.com; http://naver.com; www.johyunjae.hk; and wuliJHJ at http://jo-hyun-jae.com. Thanks!

pryssimom, i read in JHJ.com, it said SIGN probably will be extended to 24 episode?

so 49 DAYS will be delayed for 4 weeks? aigoooo.....

i hope SIGN gain high rating till the end, so 49 DAYS will also get a good effect as it's starting point

Archived