Guest t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest farstrep

http://www.hangulcelluloid.com/images/chillingromancehl835.jpg

Synopsis:

Jo-gu (Lee Min-ki) is a magician performing dime-a-dozen shows in malls and street markets around the city. Convinced that a "signature act" would boost his profile and allow him to have a taste of fame and celebrity, he is nonetheless at a loss as to what that act might be until, that is, he spies Yu-ri (Son Ye-jin) in the crowd at more than one of his performances.

Equally beguiled by her sheer beauty and mystified by the fact that she never smiles, he plucks up the courage to approach her, eventually convincing her to become part of his stage act, and, as if by magic (so to speak), fame, fortune and arena-sized magic shows come calling, just as he imagined they would.
However, his attraction to Yu-ri growing, Jo-gu finds himself increasingly frustrated by her refusal to connect, open up or even participate in group activities, unaware, as he is, of the dark secret she is so desperate to hide. For Yu-ri is regularly visited and haunted by the dead... 

chillingromance1.jpg chillingromance2.jpg

Review:

It will come as no great surprise to anyone who has seen even a small number of Korean romantic comedies that Yu-ri's current problems, and the ongoing issues caused by them, stem from a past trauma and leave her largely unable to move on in her life. As such, the appearances of ghosts and her ability to see the dead serve both as humorous plot elements and references to her being "haunted" (psychologically) by events in her youth. The fact that a number of the ghosts that frequent her home are specters of those who have recently died and whose bodies are yet to be discovered allows the audience to be repeatedly shown Yu-ri's need to help them find peace and eternal rest, not only on a surface level because that is the only way she can stop them bothering her, but also as an underlying analogy to her desperate yearning to make amends for tragic events for which she (at least partly) subconsciously feels responsible, and thereby finally put the past to rest once, and for all.

The largely benign nature of the aforementioned spirits contrasts perfectly with the malevolence of Yu-ri's dead best friend to take this analogy yet further, underlining the idea that no matter what action Yu-ri takes she can't undo what has already taken place - her character's story arc ultimately becoming her struggle to come to terms with her psychological scars and ultimately find a way of moving towards a bright, secure and happy life where she can concentrate on the present, look forward to the future and put her past problems behind her.

chillingromance3.jpg chillingromance4.jpg

Likewise, the characterisation of Jo-gu mirrors elements of the portrayals of males seen in innumerable classic Korean romantic comedies and the depiction of him as an outwardly confident (somewhat egocentric and self-serving) individual allows for a familiar and often seen "fish out of water" scenario to be created:
From the moment he enters Yu-ri's world and her life, he is completely and utterly out of his depth and, as the ghosts haunting her begin to also haunt him, he has no little choice but to start to see things from her perspective. Thus, he gradually learns to empathise (with Yu-ri specifically and others generally) and as he does so his ability to relate to and accept others (as well as their various needs and issues) grows, eventually blossoming into love for the eccentric and haunted Yu-ri - the (once again) classic idea of fateful love attained in spite of seemingly insurmountable barriers.

chillingromance8.jpg chillingromance5.jpg

It's often claimed (and regularly assumed) that such depictions of troubled characters prevailing in the face of adversity (as well as their struggles to move on from past pain, heartache and/or separation) speak of the turbulent history of Korea itself - pointing to its heartache from being a country split in two and the resultant barriers put into place in the form of the DMZ - and while I myself have referenced similar comparisons to these in previous discussions, I have somewhat of an issue with them, nonetheless:

It's all too easy to read social and political commentary into any narrative that features classic ideas and though the presence of historical references and analogies are in some cases undeniable, in others they are (to my mind at least) simply brought by those searching for justification within entertainment.
In the case of Chilling Romance, while it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the themes present have social and political undertones, it is far more likely that the overall plot elements are present for one reason and one reason only - because they work.
Aside from the romance and the underlying classic narrative ideas contained within Chilling Romance, the other two major elements are (obviously) the horror and humour present and, most importantly, how well they fit together.

chillingromance6.jpg chillingromance7.jpg

The horror portrayed within Chilling Romance, in itself, provides the majority of the humour throughout the film, both serving as homage to, and parody of, more than one famous "long-haired, wild-eyed, vengeful female ghost" Asian horror movie both from Korea and elsewhere. The most notable example of this is seen in the mirroring of specific scenes from Japanese film The Grudge (e.g. the appearance above a character's bed of the ghost, her hair gradually extending downward towards the cowering victim; ghostly hands appearing through a character's hair and moving onto their face; and the repeated appearance of the pale-faced child), each being realised so perfectly as to almost guarantee to raise at least a smile from viewers. 

Of course, being a romantic comedy, the horror elements' ultimate priority is the humour they create (both in themselves and in characters' reactions to them) but nonetheless there are a couple of moments which do make one jump, and even though, in hindsight, it is blatantly obvious that they were specifically set up to do so, they are genuinely surprising enough to add to the overall success of both the humour and the film as a whole.

chillingromance9a.jpg chillingromance9b.jpg

At this point, note should also be made of the characterisation of Pil-dong (Park Cheol-min). His depiction as a man who deems himself to be a font of knowledge about women and relationships, but regularly has to change his tack due to the fact that he essentially doesn't know what he's talking about is easily as funny as any other element in the film and the very final interaction (as the credits roll) between him and Yu-ri's dead friend (the malevolent ghost) is frankly sublime. 

While we're on the subject of characters and cast, unsurprisingly the character of Yu-ri is rightly given far more depth than any of the other characters but for the majority of the film Son Ye-jin isn't really given an opportunity to take her performance beyond the portrayal of a frightened, haunted and world-weary young woman. However, on one occasion (when she's talking on the phone to her friends about her loneliness) she is finally allowed to make the character of Yu-ri totally her own, bringing with it the kind of nuanced, poignant and utterly believable portrayal she is so well known for. Almost no other actress can bring emotions so movingly to the screen and from the second her first tear falls, our hearts are willingly in her hands.
The rest of the cast give perfectly fine performances throughout, though I personally wish that the chemistry between the two leads had been greater. It's not that it's totally absent but, somehow, their relationship never seems to have the need and desperation that the narrative implies.

Cast:

Son Ye-jin, Lee Min-ki and Park Cheol-min

chillingromance9c.jpg

Summary:

A film that uses classic romantic comedy narrative ideas and combines them beautifully with humorous homages to, and parodies of, well know Asian horror movies, Chilling Romance may only be light-hearted entertainment at its core but entertaining it is, all the same.

DVD

The DVD edition reviewed here is the Korean (Region 3) Art Service (single disc) First Press edition. The film itself is provided as an anamorphic transfer with an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and there are no image artifacts (and no ghosting) present. The picture is absolutely exemplary and compliments the visuals perfectly. 

The original Korean language soundtrack is provided as Dolby Digital 5.1 and both it and the musical score are well balanced and noticeably nuanced throughout.

Excellent subtitles are provided throughout the main feature but English-speaking viewers should note that, as with many Korean DVD releases, there are no subtitles available on any of the extras.

DVD Details:

• Director: Hwang In-ho
• Format: NTSC, Anamorphic, Widescreen, Subtitled
• Language: Korean
• Subtitles: English/Korean
• Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1
• Region: Region 3
• Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
• Number of discs: 1
• Classification: 12 (Korean Film Classification)
• Studio: Art Service
• Run Time: 114 minutes (approx.)

DVD Extras:

• Audio commentary with Hwang In-ho, Son Ye-jin, Lee Min-ki and Park Cheol-min
• 'Making of Chilling Romance' Featurette
• 'Poster Shooting' Featurette
• Deleted Scenes
• Teaser Trailer

source: http://www.hangulcelluloid.com/chillingromance.html

Guest farstrep

20120507_seoulbeats_chilling1

Feeling Cold on “Chilling Romance”

Written by Guest On May 10, 2012

20120510_seoulbeats_chilling_romance_son

It can be a very bad idea to judge a book by its cover. Prior to watching Chilling Romance the only knowledge I had of the film came from the promotional posters. The movie looked like a fun and interesting take on the rom-com genre with a cool ghostly twist. Over the past ten years or so some really great rom-com genre films have been released in South Korea, some have been very well made, and some have turned the genre on its head. Other films, sadly like this one, add nothing new to the genre and disappoint.

The movie stars Son Ye-Jin (who is no stranger to romantic films and TV shows) as Yeo-Ri. Yeo-Ri is a troubled woman who nearly died when she was a teenager, and since then has received the ability to see dead people. There are a few scenes that are reminiscent of The Sixth Sense where ghosts appear to Yeo-Ri to find some final absolution so they can finally enter into their eternal peace. This aspect of the movie was the most interesting to me, but sadly it’s not as developed and explored as I would have liked. At a point toward the beginning of the film Yeo-Ri meets a struggling magician, Jo-Goo (played by Lee Min-ki). She inspires him to create a horror themed magic show, and then joins as an assistant. Time passes, and Jo-Goo’s popularity grows, and we even see that he now has a model girlfriend and life is going well for him, but Yeo-Ri seems to get stranger and more introverted as the years go on. Jo-Goo tries to get Yeo-Ri to join a group gathering at which Yeo-Ri gets extremely drunk and needs to be taken home by Jo-Goo. While Jo-Goo is at Yeo-Ri’s house he sees a ghost himself, and the ghost even attaches itself to him. Jo-Goo reaches out to Yeo-Ri to help rid him of the ghost, and this event causes a relationship to form that ends up blossoming into love.

chilling_romance-210x300.jpg

The movie does have some parts that I found enjoyable. Firstly, given the material, Ye-Jin does a good job. She’s a good actress and does well with the genre. There is a minimal amount of special effects in the film, and though the movie doesn’t seem to be a very high budget film the special effects look clean. There’s also an interesting meta plot to the movie where Jo-Goo is a fan of romantic comedies, and Yeo-Ri is a fan of horror films. There are several conversations that happen during the course of the film where Yeo-Ri talks to her friend about how she feels she’s inside of a romantic comedy, but doesn’t know what to do since she doesn’t like the genre. It’s a little heavy handed, but perhaps if they pushed it further it would have made the film worthwhile.

While on the topic, Yeo-Ri’s two friends are fun to watch, and are always entertaining while on screen. Lastly, as I mentioned earlier in the review, I enjoyed the aspect of Yeo-Ri trying to help the dead people she sees. It’s a pretty cool concept (though not original) and would have added a lot to the story.

In terms of the failures of the film, I’ll start with one of the most basic aspects: the rules are never clearly defined. We know that Yeo-Ri is able to see dead people because she came close to death herself, and that makes sense in film fiction. The problem creeps in that people around her are able to see the dead people as well. It’s never really explained why this is possible. Is Yeo-Ri acting as some conduit for these dead people? Also if she can see dead people, why is it that long stretches of the movie pass without seeing any dead people. If I remember correctly we see maybe three or four dead characters through the whole movie, it would have been much more entertaining if it were expanded. The dead characters all end up fitting into the “The Ring Girl” model (long black hair drooping in front of face) and “The Grudge Boy” model (young scary boy), it would have been fun to see something outside of the typical Asian ghost films styles.

20120510_seoulbeats_chilling_romance_lee

The next major problem of the story is the romance itself. It’s not developed in a way that feels natural, so it ends up feeling rushed. I wasn’t drawn into their relationship; I wasn’t rooting for them to make it together. Perhaps part of this is due to the uninteresting performance provided by Lee Min-ki, perhaps it’s just due to the boring storyline. For a romantic film about ghosts, the movie spends more than half of it with just the two of them doing boring things together.

This brings me to my next point, I am completely sick and tired of the “girl getting so drunk that she probably should have died from alcohol poisoning” scene that is in 90% of Korean rom-coms. It worked in My Sassy Girl, it most likely worked in a few other places, it doesn’t work here, and just seems so completely stupid and off putting. I can try to understand that the character has bottled herself up so much that the only way she can loosen up is to drink to the point where she should be admitted to a hospital, but it’s just so annoying that I just don’t want to see it anymore ever again.

First time director, Hwang In-Ho, does a decent enough job behind the camera so that the style of the film is good, I can’t fault him on that; however since he is also the writer I can fault him for the substance of the film itself.

Sometimes we are told not to judge a book by its cover because though it may not look appealing at first under its surface is something special, something unique, and something worth looking deeper into even if it’s off putting at first blush. Chilling Romance suffers from the opposite. Reading a high level summary may make the film look like an interesting twist on the genre, looking at the posters makes the film look like it could be a lot of fun to watch. The movie’s number one problem is that it introduces this interesting ghost concept, and then largely throws it on the back burner, and only pulls it out to nudge aspects of the movie along. It should have been tightly wound into the movie. It should have been the focus. This could have been a classic film, it just ends up being a horror romantic comedy that isn’t funny, has a thin and uninteresting romance, and in the end is just plain “horrible.”

Rating:
Acting: 7/10
Story: 4/10
Impact: 2/10
Production:  8/10

Overall: 4/10

(CJ Entertainment, mayries13)

source: http://seoulbeats.com/2012/05/feeling-cold-on-chilling-romance/

Guest farstrep

MY GIRLFRIEND CAN SEE GHOSTS (Chilling Romance) (2011)

Genre: Romance/Comedy
Director:
Hwang In-Ho
Cast: Son Ye-jin, Lee Min-ki, Park Chol-Min, Kim Hyeon-Sook, Lee Mi-Do, Hwang Seung-Un
RunTime: 1 hr 54 mins
Rating: PG13 (Some Frightening Scenes)
Released By: InnoForm Media & Cathay-Keris Films
Official Website: http://www.ossak2011.co.kr/

Opening Day: 10 May 2012

Synopsis:  Due to her unique ‘sense’, Yu-ri (Son Ye-jin) is unable to live a normal life or even think about dating anyone. One day, cupid’s arrow strikes a horror magician with frail ‘guts’, Jo-gu (Lee Min-ki), to fall for Yu-ri. Their sweet dating game turns into a sheer nightmare with ghosts blocking in the way of their happiness. Although Yu-ri is used to it, Jo-gu is terrified and feels his life threatened. Despite the spine-chilling stumbling blocks, Yu-ri and Jo-gu cannot give up on their love and put up the fight of their lives to keep it.

Movie Review:

My girlfriend can see ghosts can be easily dismissed as yet another rom-com from kimchi land. Borrowing the words from Transformer, it’s more than meets the eye!

My girlfriend can see ghosts, also known as Spellbound, is the directorial debut of Hwang In-ho. He is better known as a screen writer for hot-selling movies of the same genre, such as 2 Faces of my girlfriend (2008). Hwang is definitely not an amateur when it comes to screen writing and movie production, hence the engaging and endearing story.

Veteran actress Son Ye-jin plays the role of Yu-ri, who sees ghosts after a near death experience back in high school. Because of her ‘special ability’, she was even discriminated by her own family. Yu-ri ends up clammed up and withdrawn, maintaining relationships with her family and friends only through the phone, where she feel that she would not impose or bring any harm to them. However things started to take a change after she met Jo-gu, played by Lee Min-Ki, a street magician who gained astronomical success with his Horror Magic Show.

Even after working with him and his team for over a year, Yu-ri had never once joined them for a post-performance celebration dinner. However, Jo-gu successfully tricked her into coming. This eventually becomes the beginning where Jo-gu realizes that his interest in Yu-ri is more than just an employer-employee relationship. Under the influence of alcohol, Yu-ri displayed a side of her that makes stark contrasts with her usual withdrawn self and evokes lots of laughter. Subsequently, the spooky encounters with different ghosts add on to some comedic elements as well.

Son Ye-jin scored with her role as Yu-ri, as expected of an outstanding actress. Although her performance was not exactly a breakthrough or exceedingly dazzling, her sincere performance connects to the hearts of all those lonely souls. The confession of the ‘I’m actually not okay being alone though I always say I am,’ was particularly affecting. On the other hand, Lee Min-Ki, who was also seen in previous films such as Quick (2011), showed a more sophisticated side of him as he expresses Jo-gu’s dilemma when it comes to falling in love with Yu-ri. How he eventually pours out his heart to Yu-ri, undoubtedly the second peak of the movie, was really heart tugging.

The reason this movie is such a palatable treat is not only attributed by the good acting and romance story, but also the horror factor and good screen writing that makes the whole movie come together. As mind boggling as it is, the horror element actually fits this movie nicely. Though not particularly well done in terms of the CGI, the ghosts still jolt you out from your seat, and surely keep your tension high. The unveiling of the mystery behind Yu-ri’s spooky encounters also tied in well with the whole story. The dialogues exchanged between them are sometimes cute, and sometimes simply spot-on, albeit in a foreign language. All these elements combined, sprinkled with a little magic, piece together an endearing and heart-warming movie.

To top everything off, this movie is possibly the best date movie you can get around lately. It has the romance, horror and comedic elements combined in good balance. Even for the uninitiated and for people who are sceptical about anything Korean, this is going to be an enjoyable treat. Discover how love can triumph fear and help a person who once lost faith to believe in humankind again!

Movie Rating:

mx%20star.gifmx%20star.gifmx%20star.gifmx%20star.gif

(There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out all fear!)

Review by Tho Shu Ling

source:  http://www.moviexclusive.com/detail.php?c=73&desc=M&p=1583&t=my-girlfriend-can-see-ghosts-chilling-romance-2011_1583

Guest myphim

http://youtu.be/Z5YWboKP1v4

BTS video I think.

A short MV for Chilling Romance

I think I will like this OTP better than the one in Quick. :))
They are so cute together.

Guest myphim

@farstrep   I will watch it when I do gifs and screencaps. :))
No need to scare myself ahead of time. :))

Another MV

Guest farstrep

@myphim: You are in the mood for youtube today? :))

class="entry_title"Son Ye Jin-Lee Min Gi on “Chilling Romance” Report Meeting

October 24, 2011

20111024-Son-Ye-Jin_Lee-Min-Gi.jpg

Finally the romantic horor movie “Chilling Romance” wrapped the production. On October 24th at Apgujeong CGV, Seoul, was held report meeting for that movie. The main roles, Son Ye Jin and Lee Min Gi attended that event.

20111024-Chilling-Romance.jpg

Son Ye Jin and Lee Min Gi play as a couple on “Chilling Romance”. On That movie, Son Ye Jin plays as Yeo Ri. After the unexpected accident, she has creepy ability, se can see the spirits. And Lee Min Gi’s character, Jo Goo, is trying to help her to escape from that cursed. But, on his mission there will be romance between them.

Eventhough Son Ye Jin is 3 years older than Lee Min Gi, she still looks suit pairing with him. Son Ye Jin was born in 1982 while Lee Min Gi was in 1985, but the gap isn’t the problem. Lee Min Gi looks comfortable beside his noona. For both actors,this movie is a unique experience. This is the first time for them to play on romantic horror movie.

20111024-Son-Ye-Jin.jpg

20111024-Lee-Min-Gi.jpg

“Chilling Romance” has bern scheduled will be released on December. But don’t worry this movie not always showing the creepy things, the director Hwang In Ho will show the funny things from this movie.

20111024-Chilling-Romance_21.jpg

[info and images source]

source: http://kdramachoa.com/son-ye-jin-lee-min-gi-on-chilling-romance-report-meeting/

Guest myphim

@farstrep   Yes, I am in the mood for watching MV now while I work on my homework. :))

Here's another MV. I am loving all the MVs for this movie. :))

Guest farstrep

@myphim: I'll leave you to source for the MVs then. I'll source for the news instead. :P

class="entry_title"Lee Min Ki with His Current Box Office Movie “Chilling Romance”

December 9, 2011

20111209-Lee-Min-Gi1.jpg

“Chilling Romance,” a horror-romantic comedy movie that just released December 1st has become a box office, beating “Tin Tin” and even “Breaking Dawn.” That’s a very wow success since many people had been expecting “Tin Tin” and the Twilight-saga “Breaking Dawn” for quite a long time. However, eventually, Korean people loved this Korean movie more!

Well, yeah..this movie does give viewers a fresh idea, offering the horror, thrill, mellow and laughter in the same time. Seriously guys, I’m not a horror movie fan, a big NO NO! in fact, but this movie really worth watching. You won’t have time to really keep the fear deep in your brain because seconds later you’ll be bursting a laughter. The ghosts are freakin’ scary, yes, but the scenes are sometimes too hilarious that you may forget to scream for fear. And the romance story between the magician Jo Goo, Lee Min Ki’s character, and his 6th-sensed partner Yeo Ri, played by Son Ye Jin, will also touch your heart.

20111209-Lee-Min-Gi_2.jpg

As the result of this, Lee Min Ki, has received so much attention these days.  Newsen recently interviewed him asking how’s his feelings about the movie being number one now, Lee Min Ki answered, “Outranking ‘Breaking Dawn’ feels good.” Hohoho, if i were him i would’ve felt the same way too. And then he was asked what he thought about the fact that many people give so much attention to him and love him (as an actor in the movie), he said, “Isn’t it because I played alongside Korean most beautiful Ms. Son Ye Jin?”

Lee Min Ki said when the first time they offered him the scenario and he asked about the partner and they said it was Son Ye Jin, he didn’t hesitate to take the role. Well, yeah Son Ye Jin is like the most wanted female co-star for many Korean actors :rolleyes: even for the seniors, let alone a junior like Lee Min Ki ;) . Son Ye Jin is famous not only for her beauty, but also -and the most important thing- for her great acting quality. Lee Min Ki said his friends didn’t believe him at first when he told them that he would work on a movie project with Son Ye Jin as his co-star. I couldn’t imagine how envy his friends were when they found out that Lee Min Ki had lots of kissing scenes with the noona in that movie. :D

Lee Min Ki continued that even though he couldn’t get any closer with Son Ye Jin in personal, he was so grateful that he could learn so many things from Son Ye Jin as a sonbae in the movie industry. But Lee Min Ki has appeared twice this year in the big screen, firstly with “Quick” where he played alongside Kang Ye Won. I think this guys has always been pretty lucky to play along side great named actresses, like Chae Rim, Shin Min Ah, Ha Ji Won…and many more, just check his filmography. And I always love his acting whether it’s in drama or movie. So congrats and best good luck for him in the future.

20111209-Lee-Min-Gi_3.jpg

[by Rizz]

[source]

source: http://kdramachoa.com/lee-min-ki-with-his-current-box-office-movie-chilling-romance/

Guest farstrep

@myphim: Do you want to create a ten-minute MV of your own with the scenes in the movie? :))

Spellbound aka Chilling Romance

Story: Ma Jo-goo (Lee Min-ki) is a magician and makes money by giving small performances. However, one day he sees Kang Yeo-ri (Son Ye-jin) in the audience, who catches his eye because of her sad expression and her ghost-like appearance. Thanks to her he comes up with the idea of a big show in which he fights a ghost. Yeo-ri gets a job in the show and Jo-goo is actually quite successful. Still, the magician is wondering why Yeo-ri never accompanies them when her colleagues go out for dinner. She is always all by herself and never meets with friends. Jo-goo gets curious and he soon gets behind the woman's secret. Since the day she had a near-death experience Yeo-ri is able to see ghosts and tries to help them or at least not be harmed by them. Yeo-ri and the magician start to meet on a more frequent basis and even though Jo-goo has a girlfriend, Yeo-ri is imagining how things would be to have him has her boyfriend. Sadly, no one could ever stick to her for long. As soon as people come in contact with Yeo-ri they can see ghosts as well and so she is avoided by everyone. Could Jo-goo be an exception?

Review: Remember those years when Korean romantic comedies were still original? "Spellbound" is very ambitioned since it tries to mix together several genres and thus create an extraordinary love story. In fact this works out pretty well and so the end product is also worthwhile for those viewers that aren't really reluctant to watch movies of the genre, but aren't into your typical shallow "chick flick". Because all the romance and comedy aside there are also a few horror elements that more often than not fit into the movie better than expected. "Spellbound" still can't do without abiding by certain rules of the genre and so the ending becomes rather predictable, even though the film also features a twist that is typical for a horror film, therefore presenting you with a little surprise after all.

Who said that you only need to check your brain at the entrance with action movies? The same applies to romantic movies as well, that is if you don't believe in an all sunshine and lollipop fairy tale world. But that actually isn't the problem with "Spellbound". Instead the horror motive proves to be the source for some plot holes. How can Yeo-ri still be afraid of ghosts if she sees them for about ten years already?! Even the more since they apparently aren't doing anything dangerous except of making your blood run cold with the usual scary tricks they utilize. In respect of the lighthearted tone of the movie it also would be strange if the ghosts would actually kill someone. Nevertheless, towards the end ghosts in fact pose a serious threat for life and limb after all. Only because the movie is in need of a climax?

Nonetheless, there has to be given some kudos for the fact that director Hwang In-ho, writer of "Two Faces of my Girlfriend" und "Love Phobia", had the courage to blend horror with rom-com elements in his debut work. Most of the time this works out pretty well, as already stated. Son Ye-jin ("A Moment to Remember", "White Night") is great in her role as the seclusive woman who eventually is more afraid of having a real date than of ghosts. Moreover, there is always the uncertainty if Jo-goo can accept her pecularities. In her special case those are, to make things worse, ghosts. Yet, they can also be understood as allegories for the pecularities of a normal woman. But then again you probably shouldn't be interpreting too much into things either...

Lee Min-ki ("Quick") plays the magician and even though he somehow is antipathetic to me, apparently woman's mind seems to be thinking different, he manages to conquer the viewer's heart in his role. The chemistry between him and Son Ye-jin is just about right and that's also where director Hwang's experience when it comes to writing a screenplay comes to the foreground. The jokes are thrown in in good intervals and at the least manage to make you smile, the characters, including the supporting characters, are likeable and Hwang succeeds in creating a warm feeling when the two protagonists get closer. The only thing annoying at first is the soundtrack which seems too slapstick-like. Furthermore, there are some scenes that are just too hackneyed for the genre and could have become annoying with less well-achieving actors in the lead.

Director Hwang In-ho without a doubt has a knack for romantic stories and he actually does everything right. The two actors get the best out of their roles and although there is never the shadow of a doubt that the two have to come together eventually, there are enough twists thanks to the horror elements. In fact, those who are easily scared can expect to jump out of their seats on a few occasions. It is surprising how well Hwang could blend romance/comedy and horror. For that reason alone "Spellbound" stands out from similar movies. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair to give it the same rating as so many other romance flicks get from me. Thus, I will be especially lenient and give it a better rating than one would expect of me.

rating
source: http://www.asianmovieweb.com/en/reviews/spellbound.htm

Guest myphim

@farstrep   Are you kidding me? I don't have the time to do it. :))
How about 10 one minute video? :))

OMG! This MV below is so awesome.
But there will be lots of spoiler and scary moments in there.
I'm scared already watching the MV. ;))
I think I also saw several ghosts from the movie. :))

Guest farstrep

@myphim: WOW! That's a lot of FMVs for one movie. I think the audience really liked it very much. There were only two or three for "Quick" the last time I checked.

One of the ghosts is quite adorable. You will understand what I mean when you watch the film.

class="title" [Korean Film Review] Chilling Romance, 오싹한 연애 (2011) chilling-1.jpg?w=479

Our ghoul was a little more sinister than depicted here.

***contains spoilers***

Direction and screenplay by : Hwang In-ho
Main Cast: Son Ye-jin, Lee Min-ki, Park Cheol-min, Kim Hyeon-sook

chilling2.jpg?w=479

Street magician Ma Jo-gu (Lee Min-ki) happens upon a sullen young woman in the crowd while performing tricks one night. Compelled by her sombre aura he follows her as she walks away, when it appears that she has some supernatural energy following her. Thinking that he will be able to use her to reinvent his act and make money through an exorcism magic act he employs her. Unbeknownst to him, she is a medium for the dead.

chilling-31.jpg?w=479

This medium is our protagonist Kang Yeo-ri (Son Ye-jin) who is forced to live a solitary life due to a particular spirit terrorizing her and those in her life.  Yeo-ri’s been forced to live this life since her teenage years after an accident made her heart stop and was given the ability to perceive dead souls after she was revived and so is awkward around her colleagues and refuses to join workplace socials. Jo-gu imposes himself on her and their relationship grows as does his experiences with her ghoulish companions.  Some are benign, seeking her out to solve their murders or save the lives of their loved ones. The ghost terrorizing her, Joo-hee, has a particular relationship with Yeo-ri and is hellbent on driving potential suitors away (a surprise cameo by the attractive Lee Hyun Jin which I very much appreciated). Jo-gu however cannot seem to stay away from Yeo-ri as his attraction to her grows even when continuously confronted by an increasingly menacing Joo-hee.

chilling-4.jpg?w=479

A romantic-comedy at its core with the compulsory airport confrontation, the horror element offers a fresh premise to the saturated genre. Son Ye Jin and Lee Min Ki bring enough talent and comedic timing to ground this film in reality- as realistic as love budding amongst a haunting can be.  In lesser hands this premise could have been a train wreck. Son brings innocence to Yeo-ri that makes her endearing and Lee shows great comedic timing throughout the film.  There are some genuinely hilarious moments- Jo-gu’s daydream during a coffee date drew big laughs. There are also some frightening and suspenseful scenes reminding us that Chilling Romance is more than just a romance film. The ending credits was hilarious, be sure to watch it. If there’s anything negative to say about the film it is its length. At an hour and 53 minutes, the film seems to reach its climax at an earlier point in the film, only to have the film resolve its issues much later. I’m not sure if it was intentional or the way the film was edited but there was a break in continuity and tone that was unnecessary in the film but managed to produce a laugh.

vlcsnap-2012-04-16-14h47m56s123.png?w=47

photo204814.jpg?w=479

TtoT Rating: 8.25/10

source: http://torontototokyo.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/korean-film-review-chilling-romance-%EC%98%A4%EC%8B%B9%ED%95%9C-%EC%97%B0%EC%95%A0-2011/

Guest farstrep

Chilling Romance (2011) Review

Posted on March 19, 2012 by ripgal

chilling-romance.jpg?w=640

You know, I always wonder. How does Lee Min Ki do it? How does he manage to click with every single co-star he acts with? Young, old, noonas or whatnot, how does he make it work?!? Is he some divine creature from MARS or something? In that he’s just able to CLICK with literally everything and anything through virtual telepathic powers or some invisible signal? I mean, even life-less objects (point in case, a guitar in SUFBB) and the intangible/untouchable are not spared. He’s weird, but I love him.

And Son Ye Jin, it’s a known that she’s a gorgeous creature. Always so goddess-like and ethereal-divine looking that no guy can’t possibly not fall for her. Emanating an angelic naivete that no sane person can possibly find annoying. That even I myself, a girl, love her immensely.

So when these 2 come together, IMAGINE the bulkload of prettiness. And the potential for electrifying chemistry.

And you bet, I wasn’t disappointed.

chilling_16.jpg?w=640

Chilling Romance tells of the love story between 2  individuals who cannot be more different: Jo Goo (Lee Min Ki), a self-assured and confident magician who has the magical world in his hands; and Yeo Ri (Son Ye Jin), his low-esteemed assistant who essentially is the epitome of a socially inept being.  They rarely cross each others’ paths, in spite of the 1-year they’ve spent together as colleagues. Jo Goo performs his magic while Yeo Ri assists him by portraying the ghastly figure in his show. Show finishes, they say their hi and byes. And they split ways. Nothing more. Not until Jo Goo realizes one day that how much Yeo Ri is being a downer and annoyance when they always go for celebrations and parties and all she does is says no and gives lame excuses. It’s totally fine being a recluse or anti-social, but it gets overly annoying and unbearable to him when her excuses are recycled all over and over again. Why is she being so averse to the public and the crowd? Especially when someone like Lee Min Ki’s doing the invite, I’d pounce and prance on him in a go. OK?

The thing is, Yeo Ri isn’t just an ordinary girl. And not in the ordinary meaning of ordinary. She’s a spooky girl. A really spooky one. She can see ghosts, she attracts them, and worse, if that’s not scary enough, she lives with one. One that follows her everywhere, monitors her daily life, knows her in and out. One that goes all out to ruin her relationships with the world outside. Bogged down by this unwelcome presence in her life, she sinks deeper into isolation and recluse. She tries to avoid being in contact with people as much as possible, for the fear that her “friend” might haunt her so called friends and affinities. She tries to adapt to loneliness. And pretends to be happy being all alone by herself when in reality, it sux and hurts so much not to have someone by her side. Her family, her friends…etc. None.

And then Jo Goo intrudes upon her life. He cares for her, makes her smile and helps her out. Yeo Ri is more than moved, and both of them want something more than just friendship. But question is, does he gave the guts? And is she willing to see him take the risk?

chilling.jpg?w=640&h=426

The stills and posters of the film will probably mislead you to think film’s all about romance, with a dash of funny horror and spookiness (like Hello Ghost starring Cha Tae Hyun). But stay on, it’s really more than that. And deeper than that. The premise is quite a weird one,  in that it’s not for one to classify this film under one strict category. The film has romance, funny, horror and drama. But to say it’s purely anyone of them, you’ve got a major problem here, it’s not that simple and cut-out.

The relationship and Jo Goo and Yeo Rim is pretty much the conventional and typical kind of guy-girl relationship we’re used to seeing. He’s the suave and confident one, she’s the passive and awkwardly shy one. You’d probably have figured out the math and physics by now, that they both end up falling for each other… the same ol’ formula. But what works differently in this film is the driving factor and the hindrances to their relationship. The fears that both individuals face in deciding to get together. The obstacles they have to face. The consequences they have to suffer and bear.

I like that the film deals with the internal conflicts of both individuals, and engages us on their journey to open up to each other a little more. Yeo Rim has major issues with her life, issues that she has to live with for as long as she lives. Jo Goo on the other hand, takes things easy and for granted that when he’s suddenly thrown into a state of fear, he’s confused. Of course, without the spooky and horror parts, nothing would have been a problem to them. But with these elements in the way, it paves way for us audience to actually think about how insecurities and fear can actually cause one to hold back in love. The film doesn’t go all out in subtleties,  in that it never tries too hard to impress upon us that fear can indeed be overcome with love and all (it can I believe, but not all the time). But instead, it touches on the surface of how love can be weak sometimes. And that it’s okay to admit it.

lmkchilling.jpg?w=640&h=426

It’s easy to notice that the writers had intended this film to be a film with an own flavor of its kind. Like I said earlier, the combination of the different elements in this film is a unique one. One moment I’m laughing my richard simmons out over a cheeky joke, the next I’m covering my eyes from a richard simmons scary scene, and next again, I’m bawling my eyes out over a terribly tear-jerking moving scene. You don’t get a lot of movies like these, it’s just that different. I’ve got to credit the writer and PD for being able to mesh up these elements without creating a sense of disjoint in the scenes. I won’t say it’s brilliantly executed, but it’s got a great touch. With lovely cinematography and visuals, coupled with a soothing and endearing tone (save for the horror parts), you have an aesthetically beautiful film in your hands.

But amongst everything, it’s the actors which make the film for me. Lee Min Ki has always been good looking to me, but he’s especially dashing and handsome in this I had to stop some scenes twice or thrice just so stare at his beautiful face.  Every single gesture, expression and mannerism of his, I almost couldn’t find anything to nit-pick on. He’s so PERFECT! (okay, excuse my gushing, I just cannot help it! XD) But that’s just an appetizing treat, because what comes after is even better. His ability to channel Jo Goo’s character so convincingly and naturally is a testament to the comfort and ease he has with his role. Jo Goo’s suaveness, quirkiness and endearing personality, they’re all so genuinely conveyed thru LMK’s acting. The life and charm he brings to Jo Goo, coupled with the delicate and intricate touches on Jo Goo’s sensitivity he effectively conveys, it’s a wonderful treat. He’s such an effective actor that I don’t think any role would be a problem for him. He can be anyone and any character, and we’d love him just as much.

Son Ye Jin is equally on par. I love Yeo Rim’s innate shyness and impassiveness, and I adore the underlying sweetness in her character. I think the actress benefits from a generally angelic face, there is no way one could possibly hate her!!! But it’s her performance which makes a difference. Her delicate and endearing touch on Yeo Rim, a reminiscent of Eun Oh in Alone in Love less the spunk, is enjoyable to watch. And beautiful to see and experience with.  She doesn’t try hard at all, as if it’s second nature to her. And makes the character her own. Though I think she’s been typecast to play such characters these years, but there’s no denying it’s her forte, and she does it incredibly well. When she breaks down in tears and cries with all her heart, there is no way you can escape without streaming some tears down your cheeks.

chilling-chemistry.jpg?w=640&h=426

Chemistry wise, LMK and SYJ’s is off the charts. They have incredibly spazzworthy chemistry together. WORD. Lee Min Ki is always good with noonas, I have no explanation as to why. Apart from the fact that he’s not from Earth? From Dal Ja’s Spring to A Good Day To Have An Affair, he’s been with all types of women you name it he’s got them! o_0 I mean it in a good way because again, it’s not something that every actor can do. I certainly didn’t feel this sort of chemistry in Personal Taste with Lee Min Ho and SYJ (not everyone’s a Kim Bum), but in here, LMK just rolls on with SYJ smoothly.  Sparks are everywhere. I even want them in a drama together now STAT!

The film isn’t billed as a hit or anything, or as I recall, it did just decent enough in the cinemas? It’s not stellar or even great script-wise, and doesn’t bank on depth or nuance at all. But I think it’s a film worth checking out for the viewing experiencing, eye-candy and the performance of the actors.  I’m sure the masses will love this film for its creativity and originality in its execution. If you want a mix of everything, and ain’t afraid of scary richard simmons horror (trust me, you want to believe me), this film might be the one for you.

And if that’s not enough to convince you, think LEE MIN KI and SON YE JIN.

Rating: 7.5/10

source: http://ripgal.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/chilling-romance-2011-review/

Archived